Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
681
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,397

Brothers

Summary:

Begins long before Lost Boys the movie, and before the BtVS series began.

Even with the same upbringing, brothers can take different paths to reach their goals.  Just look at Richard and Max Wilkins for example...

 

Work Text:

FfA fic: Brothers
by Lucinda

 

"You don't have to leave, you know." Max spoke softly, not wanting their father to hear him.

"Yes I do. You know how he is, how he feels. Either we follow his way, or have nothing to do with that world. Nothing about demons, or vampires or magic." Richard shook his head, and tried to smile at his brother. "I can't give up the magic, and the idea of a whole Council of men like father..."

"That would be pretty horrible." Max agreed. "But where will you go? Santa Carla is home."

"I..." Richard shifted awkwardly, and then hefted the satchel of books. "I made a few connections, struck a few bargains. I've got plans."

"How will I explain things?" Max sighed, and looked back at the fire. "What are you going to say?"

"I have a dream, a vision." Richard smiled, and leaned against the wall. "I'm going to build a new town, a new place free of the weight of Spanish history. And I'm going to be the one running it."

Max shuddered, and looked back at his brother. "Politics?"

Richard nodded, his eyes filled with intensity. "And I'll make certain that everybody in the town answers to me."

"What about the demons and vampires?" Max asked. "What are you going to name the town?"

"It's going to be great. Consider it my New Year's resolution." Richard grinned, and glanced around. "I'm going to call it Sunnydale. You'll come visit me later, right?"

"No matter what, if I can go visit you, I will." Max vowed. "You're my brother, and we have to stick together."

 

********* seventy years later ***********

Max pulled the coat closer around him, wanting to blend with everyone else in the winter. The cold really didn't bother him, but it brought too much attention to forgo the winter wear. He was seeking the Mayor's office in the small, cheerful looking town of Sunnydale.

Finally, he found the building, mostly brick, large enough to be impressive without crossing into something too pretentious for the size of the town. His brother had always been a stickler for the details, after all.

A few questions to a bored looking clerk and he knew exactly where to find 'His Honor the Mayor, Richard Wilkins the second.' With a smile, he tapped against the solid oak door, noticing that the polished brass nametag simply said 'Mayor Richard Wilkins,' with no mention of any numbers to follow.

"Who's there?" His brother's voice sounded cheerful, still familiar after all the years.

Smiling, he called out "It's your brother Max, and I recall promising to visit when I had a chance."

"Max!" The door pulled inwards, revealing Richard, looking only a little older. "Well, this is quite the holiday surprise. Step into my office. I've got some fresh cookies."

"Sorry, but I'll have to pass on the cookies." Max let his fangs flash, knowing that his brother would understand. After all, being the sons of a Watcher, they both knew that vampires didn't eat cookies. "I've heard a few interesting things about this town of yours."

"I've still got a long way to go for my plan." Richard sighed, and crossed something off a list on a sheet of paper. "So, have the last years been eventful for you?"

"Mmmm. The usual, I suppose. I fell in love, started courting, she got killed by a vampire, I got killed by a vampire, spent a few decades learning the rules, spent the next few removing my rivals, and now Santa Carla is mine." Max settled into a chair, and grinned. "And I've got a bookstore now."

"A bookstore?" Richard asked, looking curious.

"I always wanted one." Max smiled, looking wistful. "The basement's more than large enough to stay over if I need to, and by staying out of the direct focus, any potential rivals will rip each other apart and make it simple for me to remove them all."

"That's always a good plan." Richard nodded. "So, can you stay for a while? Maybe through New Years?"

"Of course."

 

end Brothers.