Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
4,888
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,480

Old Meets New

Summary:

Seqeul to Wake up Call - NCIS must go to Miami - Jethro meets up with an old lover - who has moved on.

Disclaimers and Beta list can be found on my author's info page.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

~*~

Speed's hand tingled as he processed the crime scene. He flexed it to get the blood circulating back in his hand. It had been six months since he woke up from his coma, six long months of physical therapy and seeing a psychologist to finally clear him to go back into the field. Today was his first case back in the field, and of course it couldn't be simple.

"You okay?" Ryan squatted down next to him.

Speed smiled at the new kid, he liked Ryan. It was weird at first, knowing he had been hired to replace him, but over the past few months the two had gotten to know each other. Ryan stopped by to ask questions about some of Speed's cases he was taking care of, and the two talked. Over time they became friends. "The hand is a bit tingly, but okay."

"Shoulder?" He asked concerned. He knew how much Speed wanted to be back in the field and was worried he might have pushed it.

"Fine," Speed shrugged. "Just the hand – sometimes it goes a bit numb. Lucky for me it's my left hand."

Ryan nodded the smiled, "I found something interesting."

"Really," Speed eyed him carefully. "Good find or bad find."

"Good find considering it could be a break in the case," Ryan pulled up an evidence bag up. "Bad find because it just made our life hell."

"NCIS?" Speed looked at the badge.

"Naval Criminal Investigation Services," Horatio answered the question. "Our dead man is an agent."

"That's bad," Speed stood up focusing on Horatio.

"I've already called NCIS, they're sending down a team." Horatio looked away from Speed.

Speed cocked his head, "Hey, what's going on?"

"Not now Speed," Horatio snapped as he walked away.

Speed watched as Horatio walked away. He looked back at Ryan, who shrugged and collected his gear. Speed sighed, it was going to be along day.

~*~

"How's your case?" Calleigh smiled at Speed as she walked into the break room.

"Fine," Speed shrugged. "On hold till NCIS gets here."

"Then what's the matter?" Calleigh leaned up against the counter.

Speed sighed, "Horatio's acting weird."

"In what way?" Calleigh asked.

"Just…that, I don't know. When he found out it was a NCIS Agent he just got all quiet and moody." Speed sat down at the break room table.

Calleigh sat down across from him. The shooting had changed him, good and bad. He was quieter if that was possible, but smiled more. Once he started recovering fully, he had come to her and asked her to teach him about gun safety and use. She discovered that he had barely known how to clean a gun. Now he was a crack shot, and could handle a gun with the best of them. She wasn't sure if she liked the new development. He had lost something in that jewelry store, a sort of innocence. They saw violence everyday, but Speed had always distanced himself away from using violence. And now he had no hesitation in pulling his gun.

The good development was his relationship with Horatio. Horatio settled him; she could see that he was content with his life, happy. The same with Horatio, Speed grounded him gave him a balance between work and home.

"He's probably just worried about jurisdiction and stuff." Calleigh assured him.

"I don't know," Speed looked out to the lab to see Horatio talking to an older man. Speed moved away from the table and towards the window to get a closer look at the unknown person.

"Who's that?" Calleigh stepped up next to Speed.

"I don't know," Speed watched the exchange. Speed's heart contracted when Horatio looked down and away, a small blush on his face. Horatio looked back up at the older man a bright smile on his face. "I got to go." Speed chocked as he left the break room.

Calleigh's eyes narrowed at the two men. She would find out what the hell is going on. After the shooting, Speed's confidence dwindled to almost nothing. He was now just starting to be confident in his work, but also in his relationship with Horatio. He had confided in her early on in the relationship, that he thanked God every day for Horatio, because he knew deep down he didn't deserve him, and one day he would be gone.

~*~

"Horatio," Ryan walked up to the two men.

"Ryan," Horatio smiled at him. "I want to introduce you to Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, NCIS. He will be working the case with us."

"Pleasure to meet you," Ryan held out his hand. "Horatio have you seen Speed? I have some evidence I want him to look over."

"No, I haven't," Horatio shook his head. "Try the Trace Lab."

"I did," Ryan informed him.

"Page him and have him meet us in the Trace Lab; we can get NCIS caught up." Horatio turned back to Gibbs. "Your team near by?"

"Should be coming up any time now," Gibbs looked over at the elevator. The doors opened and two young men and a woman stepped out.

"You're good," Horatio grinned.

"But you already knew that," Gibbs smirked at Horatio, who blushed just a bit.

Ryan frowned at the exchanged. "I'll go page Speed." He nodded to the agents as they walked up to the two leaders.

"Boss," Tony gave Gibbs a hesitant smile.

"DiNozzo," Gibbs answered short and abrupt. "Kate, McGee – this is Horatio Caine. He's the day shift supervisor."

Tony looked the redhead over as he shook his hand, "Tony DiNozzo."

"Welcome to Miami," Horatio shook each of their hands. "My teams should be in the Trace Lab with the evidence. I can take you down to the autopsy room later so you can talk with our ME."

Horatio led the team into the labs, he was happy to see Speed in the room. He frowned slightly at Speed's closed expression. His eyes were dark and unreadable. He was also clear across the room with Ryan in between them, "Speed, Ryan – let me introduce you to the NCIS Agents." Horatio started with Gibbs, "Agent Jethro Gibbs, Agent Tony DiNozzo, Agent Kate Todd, and Agent Tim McGee."

Speed nodded in greeting, but nothing more. Ryan smiled and gave a quick wave hello. "What do you have so far?" Kate asked, sensing the tension in the room.

Ryan looked at Speed, who stayed quiet. Ryan shrugged. "The victim was found just outside the everglades. He had been there a while according to our ME, maybe a week or more." Ryan picked up a few pieces of paper. "We found a plastic type residue on his legs…"

"It's Polyurethane Resin mostly used in making molds," Speed interrupted. "There is a factory in the area that makes and sales the Polyurethane Resin. I've contacted them to get a contact list of customers; so far it looks like a large list, from large distributors to small artisans."

"That's odd," McGee spoke out loud. He looked over at Gibbs, "What would an Agent being doing with molds?"

"Depends on what the molds were of, McGee." Gibbs answered him. "DiNozzo check out what Agent Lawrence was working on. McGee, work with Ryan on the list of customers." Gibbs turned to Horatio, "Need to see Agent Lawrence's place of residence."

Horatio nodded, "I can take you out there." Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Speed's eyes darken.

"My ME needs to talk to your ME," Gibbs smiled. "Can you arrange that?"

"Speed," Horatio turned to the younger man.

"Sure, H." Speed walked out of the Trace Lab without a second glance. Horatio eye's followed him concerned.

"Kate look over all the evidence they have, give it another perspective." Gibbs told her as the two men headed out of the lab.

"My team is very capable, Jethro." Horatio informed him as they walked out. "No need to be checking over my shoulder."

"Just being through," Gibbs responded.

"And you wonder why other agencies don't like you," Horatio slipped his glasses on as they headed out toward the hummer.

"No, I don't wonder." Gibbs smiled, Horatio laughed.

~*~

Speed stepped out into the cool night air. He sighed and leaned up against the retaining wall. He hadn't seen Horatio all day, and his feelings were in turmoil. He could tell there was a history with Agent Gibbs and Horatio, a romantic one. Horatio only gets that slight blush when something truly personal is talked about. He had always found it endearing.

"You didn't know?" Kate's voice reached Speed's ears. Speed slipped farther into the darkness. "Gibbs has a thing for redheads."

"But…" Speed recognized McGee's voice.

"You have a problem with who the redhead is?" Kate asked. "You're dating Abby, you of all people shouldn't have a problem if the redhead is male."

"No…I thought…Tony." McGee stammered.

"Tony? You thought Gibbs and Tony?" Kate laughed slightly. "Tony is a skirt chaser."

"But have you ever seen him catch one?" McGee pointed out. "He's always glued to Gibbs, and the two almost have a secret code between them."

"I admit, Tony gets Gibbs, but there's nothing going on with them." Kate stated firmly, "Seems like Gibbs has got his eyes on Mr. Caine. There is definitely a history with them, the two ooze sexual tension."

"I think Mr. Caine is taken," McGee sounded unsure. "I mean he kept looking at Speed."

"What type of nickname is that anyway?" Kate wondered. "I bet he rides a bike."

"His name is Timothy Speedle," McGee informed her. "Hence Speed."

"Fine," Kate shrugged. "But why do you think there's something between Horatio and Speed."

"He called him H," McGee pointed out, "And just a vibe."

"The same one you have with Tony and Gibbs?" Kate smiled.

"I'm telling you something is going on between them," McGee stated firmly.

"All I know is Gibbs and Caine left hours ago..." Kate voice trailed off, Speed heard the side door closed with a loud bang then silence.

Speed tried to control his emotions, but was failing miserably. Speed turned the corner to see Gibbs talking to Horatio quietly next to his hummer. He watched in sick fascination as Gibbs pulled Horatio into a searing kiss. His world stopped, his heart shattered. The pain was worse than the gunshot wound to the chest. He turned and headed back into the labs, his life might be in ruins but a case still had to be solved. Calleigh and Ryan found him a few minutes later. He gave them a tight smile and tried to brush off their concern.

"Speed, honey," Alexx's voice filtered into his daze. "What are you still doing here?"

Speed looked down at the evidence, he closed his eyes trying to concentrate but only saw Gibbs and Horatio. "I…" His voice cracked.

"Honey, come on." Alexx pulled him out of the lab towards the locker room. "Go home, Horatio can…"

Speed jerked out of her embrace, "He can go to hell." Speed stormed down the hall.

Alexx eyes followed him, concern written on her face. She went to find the rest of the team. "What the hell is going on?" She demanded.

Calleigh and Ryan shrugged, "Don't know."

"Okay, what's up with Speed?" Eric asked as he walked in. "He just brushed past me; I asked if he was okay and he told me to get away from him. He got on his bike and took off."

Calleigh looked out the lab windows to see Gibbs and DiNozzo arguing outside.

~*~

"Boss," Tony voice was low almost a growl.

"DiNozzo," Gibbs looked at the agent.

"Look," Tony got up into his face. "I know you have a thing for redheads. I know you don't care if they're man or woman. And, I'm betting good money you have a history with Caine. But back off."

"What right do you have?" Gibbs demanded.

"Speed," Tony growled slightly. "You know Caine's lover. He saw you kissing Caine."

Gibbs looked down, "It's was two old lovers…"

"No, it was you being pissed at me!" Tony shoved a finger into his chest. "You've got it stuck in your pea-brain that I stepped out on you with Paul, so to punish me, your flirting with an ex-lover. Except you're not just hurting me, you've about destroyed an innocent bystander in your little vindication." Tony growled. "Did you know Speed had been shot nine months ago, and that he was in a coma for three months? That the past six months Horatio has never left his side? That this was his first case back in the field? No! You didn't." Tony took a deep breath. "I love you Jethro. I put up with your shit and your rules because I want to be with you. Nothing happened with Paul. He was an old friend, nothing more just a friend. But you wouldn't listen to me - you had it wrapped up neatly in your head that I cheated on you. And to punish me, you made sure I saw you kissing Caine. Well congrats it worked, it hurt, but now you might have ruined a perfectly normal relationship."

"Tony," Gibbs voice dropped, shocked at Tony's outburst.

The two had entered a relationship a couple of months ago. Gibbs never felt comfortable with Tony's love for him. He set rules and boundaries to protect himself. He knew Tony would find someone younger and leave him so he just prepared for the worse. When he had seen Tony at a diner with a nice looking younger man, he knew he had lost Tony.

The fight was huge. Tony walked into the house a small smile on his face, and Gibbs ripped into him, accusing Tony of cheating on him. Tony denied it, stating Paul was a friend from college – a happily married friend. Gibbs refused to listen, and pointed out that he was married at one point. Tony had thrown back three times to be exact. The argument had escalated only to be interrupted by a phone call from Horatio; a NCIS Agent had been found dead in the everglades and figured he would want in on the case.

He hadn't seen Horatio in years; the two had a small affair over four years ago, and had split on good terms. The distance put a strain on them, and their jobs had always came first. Seeing the redhead had brought back good memories. He didn't even ask if Horatio had moved on, he just pursued the redhead mercilessly. He didn't realize consciously that he was using Horatio to hurt Tony, and in the end he actually hurt Horatio. Tony's rant finally woke up something inside of him, something he buried. He knew his fears controlled his actions. He loved Tony and was terrified Tony would leave him. So he pushed first, and now he may have lost the best thing that ever happened to him, and destroyed a good friend and his relationship along the way.

"Look we have a case, and I…" Tony paused to regroup. "I'm sorry for doing this here…"

"Tony…" Gibbs rested his hand on Tony's arm. He was determined to fix this situation.

"Not now," Tony took a deep breath. "Kate might have a lead on the molds."

"We need to talk about this," Gibbs voice wavered.

"Yes we do," Tony acknowledged.

"Do we even have a chance to salvage this?" Gibbs asked honestly.

"Do you love me?" Tony asked his eyes bearing into Gibbs's eyes.

"Yes," Gibbs nodded, admitting it for the first time to himself and Tony.

"Do you trust me?" Tony asked his voice full of emotion.

Gibbs looked into Tony's eyes, seeing for the first time the love shining in his eyes. "Yes."

"Then we have a chance to salvage this," Tony nodded with a small smile. Gibbs heart did a flip-flop over that smile.

"Let's get this case solved, let me fix my mess, then you, me and a small cabin so we can talk." Gibbs whispered softly.

Tony gave him a true smile, "I do love you."

"It scares me," Gibbs was honest with him.

"That's a start." Tony turned and headed back into the lab.

~*~

Horatio walked up to his team, concerned at not seeing Speed, "Where's Speed?"

"Why don't you tell us?" Calleigh demanded. "He ran out of here like a bat out of hell."

Alexx stepped up to Horatio, hands on her hips eyes flashing, "When I began to suggest he go home, so you could take care of him; he got agitated and said that you could go to hell."

"He took off on his bike not ten minutes ago, and looked extremely upset. This is Speed we're talking about. He doesn't show his emotions so openly." Eric pointed out.

"Look it's obvious you have a history with Agent Gibbs," Ryan added to the conversation. "Speed's been agitated all day, then you disappear with Gibbs. How do you expect him to respond?"

Horatio looked at his team, there was a reason he hired them – they were good at what they do. They were also very protective of each other, especially of Speed since the shooting. And right now he was the threat and they were circling the wagons. "Are you four done?"

They just all glared back at him, "I'm going to go find Speed. Ryan, catch Eric and Calleigh up on the case. Go meet the NCIS team down in the layout room, Agent Todd might have found some information that could be useful."

Ryan nodded, he caught the other two CSI's eyes and they headed down into the labs. Alexx stayed behind hands firmly on her hips, stance indicating she wasn't going anywhere. "You better fix this."

"Alexx," Horatio cocked his head, a warning tone in his voice.

"Speed loves you," Alexx stepped up to him, ignoring the tone. "Don't let an old love destroy what you have now."

"What Gibbs and I had was over years ago. Speed is my life." Horatio informed her. "I need to find him."

~*~

Horatio found him where he suspected he would be, he could see Speed's bike parked at the foot of the small trail. A month after Speed had woken up; Horatio had brought him to this small hideaway. He could tell Speed had been getting antsy and felt enclosed at the townhouse. The small-secluded spot was a great place to get away – not too far for Speed to walk to, but far enough away that no one ever really stumbled upon it. They had sat and talked looking over the everglades. They talked about the dirty gun, Horatio's hidden feelings, their future, and their pasts. He had made love to Speed for the first time that night when they had gotten home.

He walked down the path his eyes focused on the dark hair highlighted by the moonlight.

"I know your there," Speed's voice filtered down the trail.

"What's going on Speed?" Horatio walked up to the young man.

Speed gave a short sarcastic laugh, "Do you love me?"

Horatio took a step back in shock at Speed's tone. It was filled with pain and laced with anger. "You're everything to me."

"What about Agent Gibbs?" Speed still hadn't turned around.

Horatio sighed, "I should have told you. We had a small fling, nothing really serious. It only lasted six months. It was over, years ago."

"Yet, you didn't tell me about him," Speed stated. "Do you still have feelings for him?"

"No," Horatio stepped up closer to Speed his hand resting on Speed's shoulder.

Speed jerked out of his reached. He turned around eyes blazing, "No? So the kiss by the hummer, was it a hello or a goodbye kiss?"

Horatio's arm dropped to his side. "It was neither, it was unwanted." Horatio reached out Speed stepped back. "I didn't tell you about him, because it wasn't important, or at least in my mind it wasn't. It was never really anything and had been over for years. I should have realized something was up; by the way he was acting with me. He just knows how to push my buttons."

Speed turned away, "How many buttons did he push?"

Horatio stepped in front of Speed, making Speed look at him. "I love you. When he kissed me I pushed him away, told him that I had someone in my life. Someone I love more than life itself. Speed, I'm sorry," Horatio voice was low and had a pleading quality to it that Horatio hated.

Speed looked into his eyes, "It hurt Horatio."

Horatio didn't look away from the pain filled eyes, "I swear it was nothing. My life is with you."

Speed searched the blue eyes as he reached up wiped the small tear that had fallen. Speed took a deep breath, his eyes flashed, "You're mine Horatio Caine." He pulled the redhead towards him, claiming his lips into a bruising kiss. Speed demanded entrance, Horatio opened up willing. Speed's tongue mapped out each section of his mouth reminding Horatio whom he was with, who he belonged to. Horatio pulled the younger man to him, moaning in pleasure as Speed sucked on his tongue.

Horatio pulled back breathing heavily, not used to this side of Speed, but enjoyed being dominated, "I'm yours." He felt Speed bite down on the juncture between his shoulder and neck, marking him for all to see. Speed stepped back admiring his work, a bruise was starting to form at the base of Horatio's neck. Horatio placed his hand on Speed's cheek, "I'm…"

Speed laid his finger across his lips, "You apologized. I should have just asked, but seeing…I thought I had lost you. I came out here to get my emotions into check. When I heard the hummer pull up, I knew I wasn't letting you go - not without a serious fight."

"I'm not leaving," Horatio pulled Speed back into his arms. "So how's your first case back in the field?"

Speed snorted, laughing into Horatio's shoulder, "Can I go back on sick leave?"

Horatio grinned at him, "You ready to go back?"

"Yeah," Speed smiled. "I had an idea about the molds."

Speed began to walk down the path; Horatio grabbed him and kissed him passionately. "We're okay?"

Speed kissed him softly, nibbling on Horatio's bottom lip, "Yeah, we're okay. Just don't expect me to be friendly with Agent Gibbs."

Horatio closed his eyes, a shutter passed through him. How close had he come to loosing the best thing in his life? He opened his eyes to see Speed's small smile, a smile he knew conveyed so much emotion – so much love. "I love you."

Speed smirked, his playfulness coming out, "I know."

Horatio kissed him again, a laugh escaping. "We need to get back. You want to leave your bike here?"

"Hell no, I'll meet you there." Speed mounted his bike, sensually running his hands along the handlebars. He grinned at Horatio's low groan. He revved up the engine, letting it idle softly. He gave Horatio a mock salute and took off down the street. Horatio watched him; he loved and despised that bike. He loved the way Speed looked on it, the way he rode it, but hated how dangerous it was, how much Speed enjoyed the wind in his hair. He got back into the hummer, a case needed to be solved – then he was going to have words with an old friend.

~*~

Tony smirked when Horatio and Speed walked into the layout room, the bruise on Horatio's neck clearly indicated where he belonged. His smirk got larger when he caught Gibbs's expression over the new mark. Speed stepped next to Horatio his eyes indicating to Gibbs to back off or else. Tony smiled at Speed; he really liked the Trace Expert.

Eric, Calleigh and Ryan looked between the two men and smiled. No words were needed. They knew everything was as it should be, "We got a lead on the molds." Ryan explained to Horatio.

"Agent Lawrence was working on a missing person case, when we think he stumbled upon a larger operation." Kate clicked on the project showing a picture of a small factory. "World Dolls is a small company that makes porcelain dolls that represent cultures from around the world. He tracked the missing Navy officer to the warehouse, where he stumbled upon a smuggling operation."

"Do we know what they are smuggling?" Horatio asked.

"Drugs," Tony and Speed said at the same time.

They both looked at each other, "Agent DiNozzo." Speed motioned for him to continue.

"Remember the movie Traffic?" He looked around the room. "Seems like someone figured out how to actually pull it off."

"DiNozzo," Gibbs voice was a warning. "What are you babbling about?"

"In the movie they found a way to dissolve cocaine into a moldable substance and smuggle it across the boarder undetected in the shape of dolls." Speed finished for Tony a smile on his face.

"What better way to smuggle drugs in and out of the country but with dolls that represent various foreign countries. The nationality of the doll reflects where the shipment is headed or where it came from." Tony continued explaining.

"What about the missing Navy Officer?" Horatio asked. "Is he involved or a victim?"

"Not even related," Kate clicked the picture. "They found our missing Navy Officer in the Keys – a woman on one arm and a bottle of rum on the other."

"Hey, my kind of guy," Eric grinned, Calleigh smacked him, a smile on her face.

"Then what was his connection to the factory that led Lawrence there?" Calleigh asked.

"His brother worked at the factory, but he was with his brother in the keys so he isn't involved." Ryan answered Calleigh's question.

"So Lawrence went to see our Navy guy's brother, stumbled into a cocaine ring and was killed for it, but both brothers were just out partying in the Keys?" McGee confirmed.

"Basically," Tony nodded. "Now all we need to do is get a warrant and raid the factory."

~*~

The sun was setting on the Miami skyline. The raid was a success; they had found evidence of not just to the cocaine smuggling but also to the NCIS Agent's murder. Horatio smiled contently as he watched the last of the swat team clear out the factory. Speed, Calleigh, Eric and Ryan were off to the side, basking in the glow of a job well done. Speed looked over at him and smiled. Horatio took a deep breath and smiled back, happy, content with his life. He had Speed and the bad guys were behind bars.

"You look like the cat that ate the canary," Gibbs commented as he walked up to the redhead.

"More like the cat that put the canary back into its cage," Horatio smiled. "I have a question for you?"

"Am I going to like it?" Gibbs paused a few feet from Horatio.

"No," Horatio turned to him. "What was last night?"

"My fears and stupidity," Gibbs acknowledged.

"You used me," Horatio cocked his head his eyes focusing on Speed.

"Yes," Gibbs answered honestly.

Horatio paused turning back to Gibbs, "I value you as a friend, Jethro, but if you ever do this to me again. It won't be a baseball bat upside your head."

"I'm sorry," Gibbs stated sincerely.

"It's not me you need to be apologizing to," Horatio walked away heading for his team. Speed watched the interaction but kept silent. They would talk about it later.

~*~

Speed mounted his bike, happy to be heading home. These past few days had been hard and grueling, he was tired and just wanted to go home. He felt a shadow fall on him. He looked up to see Agent Gibbs standing there patiently.

"Agent Gibbs," Speed's voice was calm and controlled.

"Can I have a moment of your time?" Gibbs asked. Speed nodded leaning back a bit in his seat. Gibbs paused; he hated these types of conversations. But ever since Tony entered his life, he seemed to be having more and more of them. "My behavior…I'm sorry."

"You're not good at this are you?" Speed smirked at the Agent.

"At what?" Gibbs asked annoyed.

"Apologizing," Speed grinned at the darkened look on the Agent. "Look, I don't care what your reasons where – just stay away from Horatio, matter of fact, stay out of Miami." Speed started up the bike then looked back at Gibbs, "Piece of advice Agent Gibbs." Gibbs raised his eyebrow in question. "Get your head out of your ass and see what's in front of you before you end up alone with your boat."

Speed smirked at the Agents expression. Agent Gibbs didn't need to know that Speed had a long conversation with one Tony DiNozzo that the two bonded over fish tacos and cold beer. Speed grinned; Gibbs was in for a surprise. Tony was not letting go of him easily, and Gibbs' life was going to change drastically.

In the mean time he had more important matters to deal with; he gunned the bike and took off out of the parking lot. He had a redhead waiting for him at home. One who promised to cook dinner while wearing the apron Speed had bought him, and only the apron.

 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Bj Jones.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.