Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Parallel Voyage
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
5,095
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,469

Parallel Voyage 1: Challenger

Summary:

Voyager finds the last thing they'd expect in the middle of the Delta Quadrant - a Federation starship thought destroyed nearly a century before. Meanwhile, Harry Kim and Seven of Nine begin to bond. Set shortly after the episode "In the Flesh."

Work Text:

Parallel Voyage: Challenger
by Jeffrey Harlan
lead_ink@yahoo.com


The USS Voyager cruised steadily at warp through the uncharted reaches of the Delta Quadrant, still over 50,000 light years from home. Inside the Bridge of the Voyager, Commander Chakotay, second-in-command, sat in the command seat. The Security Chief, Lieutenant-Commander Tuvok, and the Operations Manager, Ensign Harry Kim, manned their stations at the aft of the Bridge, where they monitored the status of the ship and the region of space surrounding her. Lieutenant Tom Paris sat furthest to fore, where he guided the Voyager on her way home.

An alarm began to beep at Ensign Kim's control panel. He read his display, a growing look of shock and disbelief on his face. Either unable or unwilling to believe the sensor reports before him, he ran a diagnostic program. Then, to be sure,
he ran it again. And a third time.

"Commander Chakotay," Kim called from his post, "you're not going to believe this, but I'm detecting a Federation emergency beacon six million kilometers to port!"

"What? That can't be right," Chakotay said matter-of-factly.

"I've already run three diagnostics," Kim responded. "There's no malfunction."

"In that case," Chakotay said, his curiousity rising, "Mister Paris, bring us within range."

"Changing course, aye," came Paris' acknowledgement of the order.

Under Tom Paris' expert fingers, the Voyager executed a perfect ninety degree turn while still within the warp field, pushing her to its stress tolerance limits.

B'Elanna's not going to be happy with that maneuver, Tom thought bemusedly.

Kim continued to monitor the data stream on his panel. Chakotay, despite the urge to pace, remained seated in the command chair. Tuvok monitored his station's readouts for the possibility that the signal could be a fake and a trap.

"Sir," Kim said, "I'm picking up a distress call. Very faint, audio only; heavy static and repeating."

"Let's hear it."

"...Star.......ger. We are in need of assi......oes anyone read?.......is......ederatio.......arship Challen........e are in need..."

"Sir, I've lost the signal," Kim said. Then, a moment later, "We've just entered visual range."

"Onscreen," Chakotay ordered.

The viewscreen flickered and was replaced with the image of a heavily damaged Excelsior class vessel. Half of the ship was
open to space. What was left of her hull markings read, "USS CHALLENGER NCC-2023."



Part Two

Chakotay stood in front of the command seat. He was in such shock, he couldn't even speak. Kim and Tuvok continued reading
their screens, in case some detail might show this all to be some elaborate hoax.

Paris caught himself before becoming too distracted. Flying past the wreck shown on the viewscreen wouldn't make him look very good in front of his shipmates. Within moments, they were within range to drop out of warp. Chakotay didn't even need to tell him; he simply brought the Voyager to impulse and within a few kilometers of the Challenger.

Finally, Chakotay found his voice again. "Chakotay to Janeway," he managed to croak out.

"Janeway here," came the reply from the Bridge speakers.

"Captain, request your presence on the bridge." Chakotay's composure was beginning to return. "We've just found what seems to be the wreckage of an Excelsior class starship."

"What?" Janeway's voice dripped with disbelief. As far as she knew, the Bridge crew could have a surprise party or some such nonsense planned. Still, her curiousity was piqued. "I'm on my way. Janeway out."

Chakotay turned to Kim. "Can you get any readings on her?"

"USS Challenger, NCC-2023. I've got sporadic lifesign readings. Power is almost nonexistent. She's in pretty bad shape. Whatever brought her here sure wasn't gentle." Kim looked at his readings and did a double-take. "Commander, according to our databanks, the Challenger was reported destroyed in battle over 80 years ago."

Paris couldn't believe his ears. He turned to Kim's station and blurted, "What? How is that possible?"

Just at that moment, Janeway entered the Bridge from the turbolift between Tuvok and Kim's stations. "Status report, Mr.
Kim."

"USS Challenger, NCC-2023. Reported destroyed 83 years ago. She's suffered heavy damage, has almost no power, and I'm
getting sporadic lifesigns."

"Mr. Chakotay," Janeway said, turning to her XO, "organize an away team. It would seem likely they've traveled through
time. Find out what happened and what they're doing here and in our century."

"Aye, Captain. Tuvok, Kim, you're with me."

Chakotay, Tuvok and Kim filed into the turbolift Janeway had just arrived in. The doors closed, and Janeway turned to
see the floating hulk on the viewscreen.



Part Three

Chakotay, Tuvok, Kim and two security officers beamed into the wreckage of the Challenger's bridge. Debris was everywhere. The five immediately began sifting through the shattered bulkheads, smashed control boards, and burned husk that was once the nerve center of a powerful starship, looking for survivors both manually and with their tricorders.

"Commander!" Tuvok called to Chakotay.

Tuvok uncovered a disheveled man in the tattered uniform of a Starfleet lieutenant from 83 years in the past. His face was
bloody and he was obviously in pain, wincing as pieces of bulkheads were pulled off of him.

"I am Lieutenant-Commander Tuvok, from the USS Voyager. We recieved your distress signal. Do you remember what happened to your vessel?"

"We," the lieutenant began, "we were in a firefight with a Gorn vessel. I don't know what happened. There hasn't been a problem with them in years..." The lieutenant began to drift into unconsciousness. He very likely had a concussion and obviously needed medical treatment. What Tuvok needed to do right now, he knew, was keep him talking.

"What is the last thing you remember?"

"We were going to warp," the lieutenant said. "They fired a volley of photons at us. There was a huge explosion, and then nothing. It's been three hours, and nothing since."

Chakotay walked up behind Tuvok and took over.

"I'll take over, Tuvok," Chakotay said. "See if you can find any other survivors." He turned to the lieutenant. "I'm Commander Chakotay, First Officer of the Voyager."

"Lieutenant Clark Bowman, Security. I was at my station when the fighting started," Bowman paused, confused. "Sir, no offense, but I don't know what to think. You say you're Starfleet, but I've never seen uniforms or equipment like what you've got."

"It's a long story, Bowman," Chakotay said, trying to avoid the subject of the Challenger's predicament for the moment. "I'll be glad to tell you once the situation is under control."

"Aye, sir."

Chakotay tapped his comm badge and called the rest of the away team, which had since fanned out to other parts of the ship. "Chakotay to away team. Status report."

"Kim here," the voice in the comm badge said. "I've found four more survivors on Deck Four, sir."

"Ayala here," came the security officer's voice. "I've found three survivors on Deck Eleven, Commander."

"Ensign Kim," Chakotay said, "beam back to the Voyager with the survivors, and inform the Captain of our status."

"Aye, sir," came the reply.

**************

Kim and the Doctor were treating a half dozen survivors of the Challenger who had just beamed in, with Paris acting as nurse. It had been several hours since he had beamed back aboard Voyager, and Harry Kim was exhausted.

"Chakotay to Sickbay," the disembodied voice called from the Sickbay's audio system. "That's the last of the Challenger survivors."

"Acknowledged, Commander," Paris said, ending the transmission.

"Ensign Kim," the Doctor said, noting the Ensign's obvious fatigue, "your presence is no longer required. You are dismissed."

"Thanks, Doctor," Kim said, and he meant it. Within ten seconds, he was down the corridor and in a turbolift. He couldn't go back to his quarters for a nap like he wanted, however. There was still too much work to be done, but he knew the perfect person on board who could help speed the process.

Looking over a patient, the Doctor called out, "Lieutenant Paris, 10 cc's hydronaline."

Paris handed the Doctor a hypospray, which was promptly administered to the patient.



Part Four

Kim entered Cargo Bay Two-turned-Seven of Nine's quarters. He looked around to see if she was in.

"Seven?"

Seven of Nine stepped out from behind her alcove. "Yes, Ensign Kim?"

"Uh, I was just looking for you. I needed an analysis of the Challenger's quantum signature...." Kim paused, his curiousity getting the better of him. "What were you doing back there?"

"My alcove was not operating at peak efficiency," Seven stated matter-of-factly. "I was facilitating repairs."

After a nervous pause, Kim managed to say, "Could you come with me to Science Lab I? I need that analysis before the briefing at 1900 hours."

"Of course, Ensign Kim."

***********

Kim and Seven of Nine were alone in the lab, working on an analysis of the quantum signature of the Challenger, in hopes of learning how it got to the Delta Quadrant and the possibility of recreating the process.

"Ensign Kim," Seven stated, "recalibrate the sensor array by .35 megaherz."

While recalibrating the sensors, Kim remarked, "Seven, you can call me Harry. We work together all the time, and it's a pretty small ship."

"Very well.... Harry."

Kim walked away from the control panel and sat at a nearby desk.

"Well, we've got a little while to wait while the computer calculates the data," Kim said. He paused. "So what's been going on lately?"

"I do not understand the nature of your question, Harry."

"I'm just trying to make small talk, Seven."

"Small talk?"

"Forget it. Never mind."

The computer terminal beeped, indicating the completion of its task.

********************

Janeway was seated at the head of the table in the Conference Room. Tuvok and Chakotay were seated across from one another, as were Paris and Torres. Kim and Seven were seated next to each other, and Neelix was across from them. The Doctor was on the viewscreen.

"Doctor," Janeway began, "how are the Challenger survivors?"

"As you know, Captain," the Doctor began, "53 survivors were beamed aboard from the Challenger. Of those, 22 had minor injuries and have been released to quarters, 19 had more serious injuries, eight are in serious but stable condition, and four are in critical condition and are currently on life support. Fortunately, there were two nurses and a resident among the survivors, so I am no longer the only source of medical care on the ship."

"That will definitely help in the future," Janeway said. Then, turning to Torres, "B'Elanna, how has the salvage effort progressed?"

"The Challenger is dead in space and not much better than scrap," Torres stated. "We've been able to strip most of the functioning power generators from the Challenger, and we're preparing to move on to industrial and personal replicators, phaser banks, photon torpedoes, and other primary systems. On a bright note, we discovered the shuttle bay was virtually undamaged, and we've gained ten new shuttlecraft." Torres paused. "Captain, we're not getting anywhere just sitting here. I suggest we take the Challenger in tow and complete the salvage operation in transit. We can then cover ground back to the Alpha Quadrant and get what we need from her at the same time."

"Noted, B'Elanna, but there may be a wormhole or some other anomaly here that could take us back home. I'm not willing to
leave just yet." Janeway turned to Chakotay. "Commander, how has the crew of the Challenger adjusted to the situation?"

"They were obviously distraught at first, Captain," Chakotay said. "They realize we're their only chance to get back home, though, and they're more than willing to sign on under your command. The senior officer from the Challenger is a Lieutenant-Commander Everett Dyson, from Communications."

Tuvok glanced over at Chakotay in surprise at the mention of this name.

"I see you're familiar with Commander Dyson, Mr. Tuvok," Chakotay said.

"I served with him aboard the Excelsior when he was a Lieutenant. I had heard he died 83 years ago, but did not realize he was assigned to the Challenger."

Janeway brought the briefing back to business. "Perhaps you can have a reunion later, Tuvok. For now, what's our security status?"

"I have detected three ships approaching on our long-range sensors. They should arrive within 10 hours."

"Keep me informed on those ships, Tuvok."

"Of course, Captain."

"Mr. Kim, what have you learned on the ship's appearance in this point in space-time?"

"Well, Captain," Kim said, "their quantum signature didn't provide too many clues on how they got here. They obviously encountered some type of anomaly, but it was violent enough to cause as much damage as it did. Less than ten percent of the damage to the Challenger was from the Gorn attack." Kim paused. "If it was a wormhole, I doubt it was stable. Even if we could reopen it, it's likely it would tear us apart before we came out the other end."

"I was hoping for some more encouraging news. Seven, has Astrometrics been able to pick up any traces of whatever brought the Challenger into the here and now?"

Seven focused her attention on the Captain. "I found a minor fluctuation in the space-time continuum less than four kilometers aft of the Challenger's position. It dissipated rapidly. I believe it was the remnant of an unstable wormhole that was created by the Gorn photon torpedoes intersecting key points in the Challenger's warp field. They caused a warp instability that opened a wormhole, depositing the ship here at this point in the timeline."

"Any possibility we could recreate that to bring us home?" Janeway asked.

"We could recreate a similar wormhole, however the destination would be a random point in space-time. We could end up at Earth, but it may be Earth 700 years ago, or 1000 years from now. There is no way to be certain."

"Very well. You're all dismissed," Janeway said. Everyone stood up and made their way to the exits.



Part Five

The Voyager floated a scant two kilometers from the remains of the Challenger. Shuttles could be seen flitting between the two ships, collecting debris, parts and anything even remotely of value for recycling.

Janeway was looking out the viewport of her Ready Room at the dissection of the Challenger when the door chime sounded.

"Enter."

Seven of Nine stepped through the doorway into the Ready Room.

"Good morning, Seven. What can I do for you?"

"I have noticed," Seven began, "a large proportion of the crew has made a point of avoiding me since I came aboard. I believed at the time it was from animosity toward the Borg, but I have noticed the crew of the Challenger, who are as yet unaware of the Borg, act similarly. Why is this?"

"Unfortunate as it is," Janeway sighed, "many humans are simply afraid of what they don't understand or find unusual. To the crew of the Challenger, you fit into both those categories." Janeway paused. "I've found once people have gotten to know you, they are more comfortable in your presence. Give them time, Seven."

"Very well, Captain."

There was a brief pause. Seven made no move to leave and Janeway broke the silence.

"Is there something else, Seven?"

"I have a problem of a... personal nature."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I am... attracted to a member of the crew, and am unsure if he would reciprocate the attraction. I am unsure of how to broach the situation."

"Perhaps the best way to handle it is to just tell Harry how you feel."

"Captain? How... how did you...?"

"Seven, I'm the captain of this ship. It's my job to be aware of everything that goes on aboard her." There was a brief pause. "Now, is there anything else I can help you with?"

"No, Captain. That is all."

Seven turned and exited the Ready Room, leaving Janeway to her thoughts. Within moments, the door chime sounded again.

"Enter," Janeway sighed.

Lieutenant-Commander Dyson entered the Ready Room.

"Good morning, Captain," Dyson began. "I'm Lieutenant-Commander Dyson, senior officer from the Challenger survivors."

"Good morning, Commander Dyson," Janeway said. "I apologize that I wasn't able to see you sooner. Please, take a seat. I trust my first officer has brought you up to date on the last 83 years?"

"Yes, Captain," Dyson said, sitting down in front of her desk. "Commander Chakotay will be coordinating with the department heads at his next briefing in order to find positions for my crew. We are already studying the tech manuals to bring ourselves up to date on the major advances of the last eight decades."

"We'll be putting the Challenger in tow in order to continue the salvage operation and resume our course for the Alpha Quadrant simultaneously. We also have three vessels on an intercept course, and they're due shortly. I'd prefer to be underway by the time they get here."

"Understood, Captain. With your permission, I'd like to check on my crewmen now..."

"By all means, Commander. Dismissed."

Dyson turned and exited to the bridge, and Janeway followed.

As Janeway and Dyson entered the Bridge from the door to the Ready Room, Chakotay, in the command seat, surrendered control of the Bridge to the Captain. Kim was coordinating with Torres at the Ops console on the salvage operation. Tuvok was busy monitoring the approaching ships on the long-range sensors. Paris sat relaxed at the Conn, maintaining safe distance from the Challenger for the salvage operation. Dyson exchanged glances with Tuvok, flashed a smile of recognition, and continued to the turbolift, exiting the Bridge.

"Captain," Chakotay said, "the three vessels Tuvok detected earlier are within visual range. They should be here at any moment."

"Captain," Tuvok announced, "the vessels are arming their weapons."

"Go to yellow alert, Tuvok," Janeway ordered. "Harry, B'Elanna, recall all salvage teams and get a tractor beam on the

Challenger."

The yellow alert klaxon sounded and the Bridge lighting changed to a deep yellow ochre.

"Tractor beam is established, Captain," Kim said. "All salvage teams will be aboard shortly."

"Hailing frequencies," Janeway said.

"Hailing frequencies open, Captain," came Tuvok's reply.

"This is Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager. We are undertaking a salvage and rescue operation. Stand down your weapons, we pose you no threat."

"Incoming response, Captain."

"Onscreen."

The viewscreen changed to the image of an insectile being aboard one of the approaching ships.

"Your authority is not recognized here, Captain Kathryn Janeway. You are in Fallistan space. Everything within these borders belongs to us. Leave now and we will not harm you."

"Perhaps I wasn't clear before. We are on a rescue and salvage mission of our sister ship. We have her in tow and are preparing to depart."

"I have told you, Captain Kathryn Janeway, the ship in question is in our space, therefore it is ours. Leave it now and you will not be harmed."

Janeway turned to Tuvok, motioning to him to cut the audio.

"Audio is off, Captain."

"Perhaps we should do as he requests," Chakotay offered. "B'Elanna said the salvage was just about complete."

"No. The computer cores are still aboard. We can't risk their accessing that information." Janeway collected her thoughts before continuing. "To leave that information in their hands would be a breach of the Prime Directive."

"Captain," Tuvok said, "I recommend transporting three photon torpedoes along the Challenger's superstructure. The resulting explosion would completely destroy any sensitive technology."

"Not yet, Tuvok. I want to try and talk this situation down first." Janeway paused, took a breath. "Reopen communications,
Tuvok."

"Audio reestablished, Captain."

Janeway again addressed the Fallistan. "I cannot allow our sister ship to leave our posession. Where we come from, we have
strict rules on the matter. I'm sorry, but I'm bound by these rules to keep this ship at all costs."

"You leave me no choice. Prepare to be destroyed, Captain Kathryn Janeway."



Part Six

The Voyager had a tractor beam on the Challenger, which floated about two kilometers to aft, lifeless and very nearly in several pieces. The three Fallistan ships opened fire on the Voyager with everything they could throw at her: phasers, photon torpedoes and even ancient ballistic missiles, which hadn't been used by the Federation in centuries.

Janeway and Chakotay, who had the misfortune of standing when the Fallistans began their attack, were knocked off-balance when the ship was rocked by the explosions against the shields. Kim, Tuvok, Torres and Paris, thankful they were at their stations, were able to grip their consoles to steady themselves. The Red Alert lights and klaxon automatically flared to life on impact.

"Captain," Tuvok said, reading the display at his fingertips, "judging by the strength of their weapons, their offensive
technology is approximately 150 years behind ours. Minimal damage. Shields are holding at 95%."

"I'm not willing to destroy them over this."

"Captain," Chakotay interrupted, "if we just sit here, they'll eventually start doing some major damage."

"I have no intention of just sitting here. Tuvok," Janeway sighed, "carry out your plan."

"Aye, Captain," the Vulcan acknowledged. Tuvok began inputting commands in his console as the ship was rocked by more explosions.

On what was left of the Bridge of the Challenger, a photon torpedo dematerialized where the command chair once stood.

The Voyager, still taking regular volleys of weapons fire from the Fallistan ships every few seconds, released the tractor beam on the Challenger. As the Voyager moved away from the Challenger, the Fallistans disengaged their attack and began to move in. Suddenly, the Challenger exploded in an enormous ball of fire and debris, and one of the Fallistan ships was unfortunately close enough to be caught in the blast and destroyed.

Janeway turned to Paris as Chakotay took his seat. Tuvok was monitoring the Fallistan ships on his console, Kim was analyzing the Challenger debris and Torres was moving to the Engineering console.

"The remaining ships are moving to intercept us," Tuvok said.

"There's nothing larger than two meters left in the debris field," Kim reported.

"Get us out of here, Mr. Paris. Maximum warp," Janeway ordered.

"Aye, Captain."

Janeway took her seat next to Chakotay. Torres exited in the turbolift, knowing she'd be more valuable in Main Engineering if this got tough. Paris maneuvered the ship with the knowledge his life may very well have depended on it. Tuvok and Kim continued to monitor the pursuing Fallistan ships.

"They've jumped to warp," Kim said. "They're on a pursuit course."

"The lead ship has fired two photon torpedoes," Tuvok stated.

"They can't match our speed," Kim said. "They're falling behind."

"Impact in ten seconds," Tuvok said.

"We've lost them."

"Impact in five seconds."

"All hands, brace for impact!" Janeway yelled.

The bridge crew grabbed their consoles for support once more. The ship suddenly rocked from the impact of the torpedoes.

"Mr. Paris, maintain course," Janeway said. "Tuvok, stand down Red Alert."



Part Seven

Captain's Log, Supplemental

It's been nearly twenty-four hours since our encounter with the Fallistan ships, and Voyager has been cruising at Warp 7. There has been no further sign of any hostile craft.

******************

Kim read "Slaver in a Vulcan Sky" from a PADD while reclining on his bed. The book had been a new Science-Fiction novel when Voyager first set forth for the Badlands so many years ago. So intensely drawn into the story was he, that he banged his head against the bulkhead when the door chimes sounded.

"Enter," Kim said, rubbing the back of his head as he walked to the entry to his quarters.

The doors slid open to reveal Seven standing in the corridor.

"Seven! This is a bit unexpected." Kim looked around awkwardly for a moment, then realized she was still standing in the corridor. "Oh! Come in!"

"Good morning, Harry. I... apologize if I have come at an inappropriate time."

"Huh? Morning?"

"It is 0245, by the ship's chronometer."

"Really? I must have lost track of time... What brings you here, Seven?"

"I spoke with Captain Janeway yesterday. I have been having problems of a personal nature."

"And now you come to me for advice too? Seven, it's almost three in the morning! Couldn't you have asked me eight hours ago in Astrometrics?"

Seven was visibly startled by his outburst. She drew a sharp intake of breath and took a half a step back from him. "Harry, I attempted to speak to you then, but could not articulate my problem at that time."

"I'm sorry, Seven. I guess I'm more tired than I'd thought," Kim said, sitting down in a nearby chair. "So, what's your problem?"

"You are my problem, Harry."

"Wha-what? Seven, I've done everything I can think of to accomodate your, ah, unusual tendencies! Why am I your problem?"

"I believe I chose an inappropriate term. Allow me to elaborate."

"By all means."

"I am experiencing sensations I am unaccustomed to; that I do not yet have words for. My memories from the Collective are inadequate. The closest word I can think of to describe what I feel when you are around is... love."

There was a lingering silence, as Kim tried to process what he'd just heard.

"Love? You're in love with me?"

"I believe that is the most appropriate term."

Another pause.

"This is a lot for me to take in right now, Seven. I don't know what to say."

"Do you not reciprocate my attraction?"

"Oh, I definitely feel something for you too, but I don't know..."

"Is it not customary for two beings who are attracted to one another to copulate, much like Lieutenants Paris and Torres?"

"Well, I suppose..."

At that, Seven pinned Kim against the wall, kissing him. Kim broke off the kiss, pushing Seven away.

"Is this a rejection? Are you not attracted to me?"

"No! No, I am definitely attracted to you, but that's a little too fast for me." Kim tried to find the words to best
describe to her what he was feeling, but he couldn't even describe it to himself. "Seven, I really need some time to think about all this." Kim's mind went back to the time. "Seven, I'm on duty at 0800. I really need to get some sleep."

Harry walked Seven back to the door.

"Very well, Harry. I will see you this evening."

"I'll see you then, Seven."

Seven stepped into the corridor and the doors closed behind her. Kim walked over to his bed and collapsed onto the mattress.



Part Eight

Paris, Torres and Kim were getting their breakfast from Neelix, who was trying his hardest to keep his finger on the emotional pulse of the ship. Around two or three dozen other crewmembers were in the Mess Hall that morning, either showing the new additions to the crew around the ship, or attempting to eat Neelix's latest attempt at culinary greatness.

"It seems Tuvok is catching up on some old times with Mr. Dyson over there," Neelix said, pointing across the Mess Hall in the direction of the table where the two officers in question were sharing breakfast.

"That's one way to put it," Paris said.

"You look a bit tired, Mr. Kim," said Neelix upon noticing an attempt to stifle a yawn by the Ensign. "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"Sure, Neelix," Kim said, then yawned again.

Neelix gave Kim a cup of coffee and the three took their seats at a nearby table and began eating.

"Long night?" Paris asked

"You have no idea," Kim replied offhandedly.

"Spit it out, Starfleet," Torres said. "What happened?"

"Seven came to my quarters at three o'clock this morning."

"Harry, I never thought you had it in you!" Paris exclaimed.

"Tom, nothing happened," Kim said.

"I don't buy it," Torres challenged. "You've got that look on your face."

"She said she's in love with me," Kim sighed.

Paris threw a lopsided grin in Torres' direction. "That sounds familiar."

"Not now, Tom," Torres said. "Did she say anything else?"

"Apparently, she's tried to tell me before, but couldn't articulate it."

"She's never been in love before," Torres thought aloud.

"She said it was a sensation she only felt around me and that her experience in the Collective didn't prepare her for this."

"Way to go, Harry!" Paris burst out.

"bIjatlh `e` yImev!" Torres snapped at Paris. "Be careful, Harry. She's at a point where you could do some major psychological damage if you're not."

"That makes me feel so much more confident."

*********

As Kim stepped through the double doors of the Astrometrics Lab, he immediately saw Seven hard at work on the sensors.

"Hi Seven," Kim said cheerfully. "How are you?"

"I am... fine, Harry," Seven replied.

"I got off duty a little while ago. I came down here to see when your shift ends."

"My duty shift ended fifteen minutes ago. I was completing my calibration of the long-range sensors when you entered."

"Need any help, Seven?"

"No."

Kim struggled with what the best thing to say at the moment would be.

"Do you have any plans for this evening?"

"I intend to familiarize myself with traditional courtship rituals, so as better to interpret your reactions around me and to expand my own understanding of the concept of 'love.'"

"I think I can help you with that," Kim said slyly.

"Do you have a suggestion, Harry?"

"I have two hours reserved this evening in Holodeck two. I was hoping we could try a program Tom suggested this afternoon."

"That course of action is acceptable," Seven said flatly.

"Great!" Kim said, his heart beating about six times faster than normal.

"I am finished here."

"Well, to the Holodeck, then," Kim said as they exited the Astrometrics Lab together.

A few heads turned as they noticed the ship's resident Borg walking down the corridors of the ship hand in hand with Harry
Kim.



end

Series this work belongs to: