Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
908
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,141

Holiday Songs

Summary:

Fandom: Angel/Harry Potter
Main characters: Lorne (Krevelorneswath of the Dethwok Clan) and Minerva McGonnagal
Disclaimer: I don’t own anybody or anything that you recognize
Distribution: if I said you could have an earlier AtS/HP, sure. Otherwise ask.
Notes: for TtH FfA.

Work Text:

Holiday Songs
by Lucinda

 

Minerva couldn't believe the rumors that she was hearing. They'd been persisting since mid fall, and were only getting more wild. Variations on some sort of dance club, or perhaps a place for ameteur singing, recently added to Diagon Alley, or some rumors said to Knock-Turn Alley, or possibly both. The whole story sounded ridiculous, even before the whispers about demons and muggles both being there.

Maybe she should just go prove how silly the whole thing was by checking that there was, in fact, no new clubs for singing or dancing anywhere along Diagon Alley? It wasn't as if she had anything else to be doing over the weekend.

She picked up a heavier cloak, and made her way off the school grounds, so that she could apparate to Diagon Alley. Maybe she could check and see if there were any new good Transfiguration books over at Flourish and Botts, since she was already in the area? Filing that away to think about later, Minerva started walking along the alley, figuring the best way would be to walk the whole distance, looking for any new shops, or if any old ones had changed hands.

There was a new building, now positioned between Madam Malkin's and one of the several shoes and boots stores. There was a simple wooden sign, reading 'the new home of Caritas', and a smaller sign near the door, reading 'no cover charge'.

Reading over them, she sniffed. Apparently, there was a new club of some sort. But that certainly didn't mean there would be muggles or demons, and nothing about a connection to Knock-turn Alley. Reaching out, she opened the door, stepping firmly inside.

Inside was quiet, the almost sad emptiness of a building intended to have many people that only had a few inside at the moment. A tall figure across the room pushed a broom, and someone in a corner was fiddling with what looked like a mass of plastic, metal and wires. There was someone near the bar, dressed in a floor length dark red robe, with a pattern of golden musical notes dancing around the hems.

Moving towards the robed man, she called out, "Pardon, but where may I find the proprieter?"

He turned around, a smile on his green face, red eyes twinkling. "That would be me. How can I help you?"

Minerva blinked, feeling as if the room was dancing, and she reached out, holding a nearby chair to steady herself. "Oh my..."

"You look a bit unsteady, could I offer you something? Water, cider, eggnog... one of those Butterbeers?" He sounded concerned. "A lot of you wizarding types seem a bit easily excitable."

"Easily excitable?" She repeated, eyes narrowing as she tried to place the man. Clearly, he wasn't human, but he didn't quite match any of the non-human races or anything that she could recall from her long ago days in Defense Against the Dark Arts. "I discover that there is in fact some sort of new club, run by someone who isn't human, and you think this is easily excitable? I think I'll take a butterbeer, actually."

He stepped behind the bar, pulling out a mug and a bottle, and pouring her a butterbeer. "Well, it's not as if I'm particularly dangerous. And I've got some solid non-violence wards and charms on the building, from several different sources. I want a nice, fun place. England sounded a lot quieter than where I was before."

"Quieter? With You-Know-Who on the rise again, you think England is quieter? She sipped at her drink, starting to wonder about this person's sanity.

"Compared to LA, with the chaos resulting from every bad guy out there trying to get rid of Angel and his people, and things getting blasted to bits? Absolutely, kitten." He smiled, and produced his own drink, something hat she didn't recognize. "And he's just a wizard, your Aurors should be able to deal with him and his minions just fine."

Slowly, she sipped at her butterbeer again, considering his words. "What sort of place did you intend this to be?"

"Some dancing, karaoke, readings if they want it..." He smiled. "If you sing, I can get a glimpse of your future."

"Really?" She wondered how that connected to divination.

He nodded, looking thoughtful. "There's not a lot of singing back home. It's a miserable place all the time. But here, you've got holidays, with singing, and great food, and decorations that only come from trees."

Minerva decided not to ask. "So, mister... I don't think I caught your name."

"Call me Lorne." He smiled, leaning against the bar. "And what's your name, kitten?"

"Minerva McGonnagal." She could feel herself smiling back. Maybe the holidays wouldn't be quite so lonely this year...

He nodded. "Alright, Minerva. Feel free to drop in anytime, singing is completely optional."

"I think I might." She settled in the chair, and they found themselves discussing holiday carols for several enjoyable hours.

 

End Holiday Songs.