Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-12-19
Words:
8,445
Chapters:
7/7
Comments:
1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
2,840

The Bookmark

Summary:

Gil meets Heather unexpectedly and tries to establish repoire

Chapter 1: N/A

Chapter Text

Sometimes Grissom didn't know what to do with himself in the daylight hours when he was off shift.Occasionally he rode the roller coaster at New York, New York but, today he felt like doing something a bit different. So he went to the Guggenheim Museum at The Venetian. The exhibits were changed regularly since they were donated by other museums and private collections. He went in and was given a audio tour wand, an item that resembled a large TV remote. All he had to do as he stood before a paiting was flip a switch to get a description/history of the work and its artist. He ambled from one to the next covering several eras and styles in the process. When he was through, he stood in the lobby for a moment before deciding to head toward the casino. He walked through it without being tempted by the rouletteand blackjack tables or the slots.Before he knew it, he'd covered the length and found himself at a set of escalators. He took the "up" one which led to a square of stores. He followed them around a bend before he realized he was in The Canal Shops.

He looked around. Normally he'd be put off but today he actually appreciated the created atmosphere, with its painted sky and psuedo canals. He followed the labrinrinth of hallways and bridges. He came to an intersection and had to decide which way to go. Instead his eye was caught by a small store right at the corner. It featured costumes from Carnival in the window. He came closer and saw thry had a racing Ferrari in the middle of the floor. There were signs admonishing customers not to touch or take pictures so he stepped in for a closer look with his hands behind his back.He looked around. There was some nice stuff but, nothing he needed personally. He was studying the display of masks when he heard a voice he recognized.The cashier was showing a woman some gold cord bookmarks trimmed with blown glass beads.

"They're beautiful but much too fragile for my needs. I take my books with me and they came get pretty bashed around. I think I'd be safer with these." she said picking up heavy cardboard models printed with scenes of Venice and trimmed with gold tassels and adding them to her other purchases. He didn't find a match till she turned away from the counter to leave the store with her bag.

"Heather?" he asked catching up with her at the door.

"Mr. Grissom." she smiled plesantly yet, there was a difinite welcome in her eyes that sent a thrill shivering down his spine.

"This is a surprise." he said.

"You mean to see me in full daylight?" she asked, her eyes twinkling wickedly now.

"No, seeing you here."

"I could say the same of you."

He shrugged.

"Do you have time for a cup of coffee?"

"Make that tea and you've got a deal." she said indicating the shop across from the one they'd just left.

Ah yes he thought, he remembered she preferred tea and had even invited him for it one afternoon. That had ended badly when he brought business into what she obviously considered a purely social occasion, and he'd insulted her to boot. He looked at the shop and thought he had something a little more elegant in mind and said so.

"You mean like a hotel lobby tea?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Well, this is nice for an impromtu cup. The spontanaity of it is what makes it so." she said.

They walked the few paces to The Coffee Bean And Tea Leaf . He pulled a chair out and held it for her. Once she was seated, he asked what she'd like.

"Earl Grey please."

"Would you like something to eat?"

She thought a moment.

"A scone if they have them. Any kind."

Gil got in line and studied the glass pastry case as he moved closer to the cashier. He saw a raison scone and an apple slice for himself. He placed the order plus her tea and coffee for himself. While he waited, he glanced over at Heather. She had her hair pulled up in a high pony tail and wore about a third of her usual makeup.She had on a white blouse and tailored black pants. The only nod to color was a banana yellow handbag. He remembered looking at various store windows and noticed purses were being shown in wild and vibrant colors. Hers was a nice up to date touch to a classic outfit.

He sat down across from her and set the tray down which she started unloading and placed it on a stand desined for that purpose.He slid her tea and scone in front of her and watched while she tore open the packet and dunked the bag. She placed it in the spoon and used the string to "wring" it out. He watched her hands. They were beautiful with elegantly long fingers tipped with well manicured moderate length nails. He opened the conversation with a question about her books.

"So, what do you like to read?" he asked.

"I've started a series called "Uppity Women" It's four books that cover from 2500 B.C. to the 1800's."

"Uppity Women, huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised." he chuckled.

"You know what they say." she said, refusing to be baited, " Well behaved woman rarely make history.And these womem would probably never be heard of if not for this series."

"Are there many of them?" he asked.

"About 200 per book so 800 in all."

"That's a lot." he commented.

"Not nearly as many men whose exploits were documented during the same time span."

"You like history then?" he asked, hoping to difuse what was becoming a heated discussion.

"Yes. I find it fascinating. As I read about these women, I try to imagine how they lived, what their everyday life was like."

"I couldn't help overhearing when you told the clerk about the beating your books take. Why?"

"I take them with me. Sometimes I go to a park or to the dam. Other times I just go to the library."

"The Hoover Dam?"

"Yes. I find it a very relaxing place to read, just as long as I stay away from the tours." she laughed prettily."What do you do for relaxation?"

"I like sports, baseball in particular."

"Is it because of all the stats?"

"Why do you say that?"

"I think you have the kind of mind that likes to analyse things." she said simply and he let it drop.

They munched and drank while they talked and now they were finished. Heather gathered her things to put in the wastbasket but she waited till he was done before she made a move to get up.He rubbed his fingers together to shake off the crumbs and crumpled the wrapper. They threw their trash out and left. He asked if she still had shooping to do.

"No, actually I was going to leave"

"Let me walk you to your car." he said and took her by the elbow before she answered. It was quite a way back to the parking lot and an even longer walk to her car. When they got there, he asked if she would have a "proper tea" with him at the Ritz-Carlton Saturday afternoon.

"I think that would be nice. I'll meet you in the lobby at 3:00."she said and got into her car after thanking him for today.

Heather did the whole "lady" bit for this occasion. She put her hair up and wore a soft pastel sweater and skirt with a patterned chiffon scarf looped around her neck. Gil also dressed to the nines, in a dark blue suit, pale blue shirt and foulard tie. They met in the lobby and had a "Florentine Tea" which added Italian finger sandwiches and biscotti to the traditional fare. And since they arrived separately, they left the same way but, before they did, Gil asked if she'd accompany him to the Carnival that was coming to town the following week. She said yes and he told her he'd call before then to finalise arrangements. They parted feeling good about seeing each other again.

As he'd promised, Gil called a couple of days later to tell her he would pick her up at noon.

Saturday

He arrived dressed for a casual day walking around outdoors, in jeans, sneakers and a polo shirt. Heather was simularly attired only she wore a tank top. Her hair was in the ponytail again and she carried her essentials in a flat bag that attached to her beltloop. They would be going on rides and she didn't want to carry a purse. It was the first time they'd actually go to their date together and Gil wanted to make the most of it. She locked her door when they left. He placed his hand at the small of her back, guiding her toward his car. He opened the door and stood till she slid in, then closed it and walked around the ther driver's side.

There were no big rides, at least not by Gil's standards but they rode the ferris wheel and to his surprise, Heather seemed more than a little uncomfortable when they hit the top. It was good though cause it gave him the oppotunity to put his arm around her. They played arcade games. His being the shooting gallery, her's ski-ball. They ate as they walked, hot dogs, snowcones and cotton candy. And as they talked and laughed, having a great time together, Gil wondered how this could be the same person who ran that....business of hers.

As he drove her home, his curiosity became an obsession. He walked her to the door and when she invited him in, it all came to a head.

"I can't." he stated simply.

Her eyes searched his for an explanation and found stubborn resignation.

"You really can't accept what I do, can you?" she asked softly.

"I'm sorry." he said and started down the path.

"Is that it really,or is it just an excuse?" she asked.

He stopped and turned back toward her, just in time to see the door close.

The End

So, should there be more? Let me know. grhesc@yahoo.com