Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
595
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,153

Roses

Summary:

RATING: PG
CLASSIFICATION: B/A, Angel POV
SUMMARY: Angel shanshues and goes to Rome to try one last time for Buffy.
SPOILERS: Post "Not Fade Away."
DISTRIBUTION: Any sites with my fic up; you all have unspoken permission. I write it, you can post it. Everyone else just keep my name on it and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: If you don't recognize it, chances are it's my own creation. If you do, I don't own it. Joss Whedon, Kazui Sandollar, The WB, UPN, et. al. most likely do.
FEEDBACK: Please send it offlist and let me know it's feedback; I do rapid delete on my account due to a lot of spam
DEDICATED TO: Lee & Tiarra, who both wanted happy B/A stories. I figured I could oblige...Happy Holidays, m'dears.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Roses
by Ragna
writinggoddess@aol.com

 

Rome looks the same, it always looks the same. It's a city of history and of beauty.

And for the first time I saw it in the sunlight. I just soaked in the sights and things that were too dark before for me to notice: the intricate designs, the way the streets are paved...it's all pretty new.

There was a woman selling roses nearby Buffy's apartment. I sat on a bench, wondering if I should even bother, if I should even try. And then I remembered my promise to Spike.

Whichever one of us made it out of Los Angeles had to try and make Buffy happy, however it was she wanted. If she wanted to just stay friends, we would be friends. If it was more, then...

In a way I almost hoped Spike would be here, running up to the woman and buying twice as many roses as I planned on and then singing to Buffy from the street below her balcony. It would have been neat to try and outdo him.

But he's not here anymore. That's the only thing that will put a damper on today, when I tell Buffy.

But enough of that. I have a flower delivery to make.

***

I haven't been this nervous in years. It's like I'll be seeing her for the first time again. It's been so long...six years since Sunnydale collapsed into the ground, five since Los Angeles was decimated. And in all that time, I've left her alone.

I wonder if she thought I was dead.

I knocked on the door. I thought to myself, I hope she's home; if I don't see her now, I may lose my nerve. I may not come back. I--

"Angel?"

"Buffy."

"It's daylight."

"Yeah."

"You're out in the daylight."

"Yeah."

She opened the door and I just looked at her. Her apartment was filled with light and it made her glow a little; it was like she's surrounded by light. She's beautiful, more beautiful than the last time I saw her.

"So, how?"

"I Shanshued."

"You what?"

"I became human again."

I didn't know what to expect when I dropped that bombshell. Shock, maybe a slammed door in the face, tears...

When she reached out and touched my hand lightly, felt that my skin was warm, that I had a pulse, she fainted.

***

"You're really human," she said quietly when she woke up. All I did was nod. "When?"

"When I killed the last demon in Los Angeles, two months ago."

"What happened there?"

"I lost everyone except one of my coworkers and...my son."

She sat up and stared. "Son? What son? How?"

"It's complicated."

"Explain."

"Darla--"

"Never mind." She laid down again and I looked at her for a few moments. "Is he okay?"

"He's at the hotel, waiting for me to come back before we figure out what we're going to do." I handed her the roses I'd brought. "Peace offering."

She smiled for the first time since she opened the door. "They're beautiful." She sniffed them and the smile stayed. "Angel?"

"Yes?"

"Dawn's home, and I think she'd like to see you. So would Willow...she's visiting. Would you like to come to dinner tonight, you and your son?"

"We'd be honored." I stood up and grinned, a grin so wide I almost thought my face would split open. "I think he and Dawn may get along well."

"Be here at seven, okay? We wouldn't want the dinner to get cold."

"We'll be here."

 

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Ragna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.