Actions

Work Header

Outside Help

Summary:

Superman meets the Enterprise crew during a time-travel mission to the 23rd century and helps them with a problem aboard ship. (Superman character based on the movies from the '70s and '80s with Christopher Reeve in the title role.)

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: part 1

Chapter Text

Outside Help
By J.M. Lane

 

The *Enterprise* crew had had an exhausting three months without shore leave and were looking forward to R & R on Starbase Six, otherwise known as "Dreamland" among Starfleet officers. James Kirk was anticipating as eagerly as his crew. He could not remember the last time he had been there, which was sufficient reason to get there with all possible speed as far as he was concerned -- provided Fleet Command didn't divert them at the last moment. Unfortunately they had a positive talent for doing that just when the crew most needed a break.

Even so, he was determined not to let anything spoil this upcoming leave, even toying with the idea of having Uhura maintain radio silence, disregarding any calls from their superiors. Of course, that violated his sense of fair play, not to mention his thirst for adventure. Who could tell what might come up in the next 36 hours, their ETA at Starbase Six? They might be badly needed somewhere...

On the other hand, they couldn't be at their best if they didn't have some R & R on occasion. Which reminded him, Carol had said she was going to take some leave on Starbase Six about now. Perhaps he could look her up and they would--

"Captain," the rich voice of his half-Vulcan First and Science Officer came from the direction of the latter's station...usually over Kirk's right shoulder when he was facing the ship's viewscreen.

The Captain sighed and swiveled his chair around. "Yes, Mr. Spock, what is it?"

"Ship's sensors have detected a most unusual--" The Vulcan broke off in mid-sentence, double-checking the sensor readings. "Fascinating," he murmured.

"Spock, what is it?" Kirk's tone reflected his dislike at having to repeat himself.

The Vulcan refused to be rushed. "If our sensors are correct, there is a life-form heading in our direction -- apparently Humanoid. Its speed is..." Both of Spock's upswept brows disappeared into his bangs as he found his voice again. "...warp eight point-two!"

Kirk gave his second-in-command a funny look. "That's impossible. No living being could survive the rigors of deep space unprotected, much less travel at multi-warp speed."

"Apparently this one can, Captain," Spock contradicted.

The Captain called to his Bantu Communications Officer. "Uhura, open hailing frequencies and hook in the universal translator. If Mr. Spock is correct, this will be the first time we have encountered a Humanoid life-form which can survive outer space unprotected and go at multi-warp speed."

"Hailing frequencies open, translator tied in," Uhura replied.

"To unidentified flying object. This is Captain James T. Kirk commanding the U.S.S. *Enterprise* from the United Federation of Planets. We are a peaceful people. Please identify yourself and tell us what business you have in Federation space."

Kirk listened for a reply. For a long moment there was silence, then a low-timbred masculine voice came over the intercom. Uhura was shocked; replies usually came over her ear receiver. Her eyes met Kirk's, searching his face for answers, but he shook his head and frowned.

"To James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise. I am also a peace-loving being. On my adopted world I am called...Superman. I'm here on a time-travel mission to the 23rd century. If you like, I can come aboard your vessel for a short time. Just let me slow down first so your transporter can lock onto my coordinates."

It was fortunate that the being -- or whatever -- didn't know what was going through the minds of James Kirk and his crew at that moment... or see the looks on their faces (or so they thought). Kirk was sure he couldn't possibly have heard right. Superman? The only being they had heard of by that name had been from a fictional planet called Krypton in a distant (and also fictional) red-sun star system.

The being was the only one of his kind on his adopted world, having strength, hearing, sight, intelligence and physical attributes far beyond those of Humans... including invulnerability and the ability to fly at almost limitless speed. But he had just spoken with this "fictional" being! It couldn't possibly be happening -- but it was.

The Captain reached for the intercom button which would pipe him all through the ship. "Scotty, we have a guest coming aboard. Get a fix on his coordinates. Dr. McCoy, report to the Transporter Room immediately. Spock and I will be there shortly. Kirk out." With that, the Captain stood up and beckoned to Spock with two fingers. "Mr. Sulu, you have the con," Kirk said over his shoulder as he and Spock entered the turbolift and disappeared.

**********

Scott and McCoy's whole faces were questions when the commanding officers entered. McCoy spoke first. "Jim, what's going on here? Why the big rush?"

Kirk ignored him and said, "Energize," after Scotty told him he was locked onto the coordinates of whatever (or whoever) it was coming aboard their ship. The closest thing to this in anyone's memory was the time when Abraham Lincoln had supposedly came aboard. He had turned out to be a shape-shifter from the planet of molten lava called Excalbia... and the duplication had been so perfect that the being had registered as Human.

Moments later a tall, godlike being stood on the transporter pad. He wore a red and blue uniform-like outfit with a long, flowing red cape. The shirt was covered with a large stylized "S" six inches across. He had black hair with a curl in the center of the broad forehead, deep blue eyes, a finely chiseled nose, firm, well-shaped lips and a strong chin.

Wide shoulders and muscular arms flowed smoothly into an equally muscular chest, which in turn tapered down to a narrow waist and hips. A yellow belt encircled the slender waist, holding up red swimsuit-like briefs. The arms ended in large and strong but gentle hands. The well-proportioned legs ended in size-12 feet, encased in bright red boots which were "M" shaped on top.

The four *Enterprise* men were transfixed, scarcely able to believe the evidence of their own eyes. It was the godlike being who spoke first. "Which one of you is the commander of this fine vessel?" came the same voice they had heard only moments before -- a richly masculine voice with a kingly bearing.

Kirk made himself step forward, hand outstretched. "I'm Captain James Kirk. Welcome to the *Enterprise*."

Only then did the stranger frown. "*Enterprise*... James Kirk...United Federation of Planets. Yes, I've heard of you. But aren't you all fictional characters, created by a man named Gene Roddenberry? There was once a popular TV science-fiction show, followed by six movies..." His voice trailed off. "STAR TREK, I believe it was called," he finished.

Kirk looked stunned for a moment, then laughed. "Just as we always believed *you* to be a fictional being... but if we were, none of us would be standing here talking right now."

"No, I suppose not," was the reply, accompanied by a smile. "Perhaps I unwittingly entered a parallel universe of some kind."

"If you did, then so did we," Kirk said. "Won't you step off the transporter now? I assume you'd like a tour of the ship."

"If it doesn't inconvenience you, Captain," the Man of Tomorrow smiled.

"Not at all," the Captain assured him.

"Then let us begin," came the reply.

"I hope you realize that we have a lot of questions about you, just as you must have plenty about us -- uh... Superman," Kirk said hesitantly.

"My Kryptonian name is Kal-El," the Action Ace told his host. "But I usually go by the name given to me by my adoptive parents -- Clark."

"Very well... Clark."

All four officers found themselves walking out the Transporter Room doors, surrounding the new arrival. If Kirk could have foreseen what would happen, how his crew would react -- neither he nor any of them (particularly Spock and McCoy) would have believed it possible, not for a moment... but it was real. It was happening, and would make great shore leave conversation, provided they weren't hauled away in straitjackets first.

**********

They decided to start at the top, so to speak. The five of them stepped into the turbolift after a short walk down the corridor. En route to the Bridge, Kirk turned to the Man of Steel."How did you come to have such powers, and what is your home planet like?"

Sadness crossed the Metropolis Marvel's handsome face. "It would be more accurate to say what *was* it like. It was far more advanced than Earth, much larger and with heavier gravity. We had peace for many centuries. But it was destroyed in a nuclear explosion moments after my father Jor-El, a top Kryptonian scientist and diplomat, sent me off in a small starship as a baby. He was unable to convince the Council of Elders that Krypton was doomed. It took three years to get to Earth.

"Its yellow sun made my body's cells more condensed, which accounts for my invulnerability. Earth's lighter gravity gave me my ability to fly. I also deduced that it accelerated my intelligence and other senses, particularly my strength. For that reason, I must be very careful dealing with criminals or when performing rescues. Otherwise I could kill someone... and I have vowed never to kill, not for any reason."

"Logical," Spock said.

The Kryptonian gave the Vulcan a strange look but said nothing.

"We have much in common. My home planet of Vulcan is similar to yours, quite large and with heavy gravity. It has no moon, so I have excellent night vision. I have very sensitive hearing; my other senses are heightened as well. I even have the ability to plant suggestions in other beings' minds -- and am a touch-telepath. My only drawback is my sensitivity to cold."

"You have some abilities that even I don't have," was the reply. "Of course, the reverse is also true. But at the same time, we share several abilities. Still, the learning crystals my father sent along with me were of immense help. They contained all the information available from the worlds in the 28 known galaxies in the universe at that time."

An upswept eyebrow raised. "Learning crystals?"

"My father discovered a way to record images and information in the crystals," their guest informed him.

"Indeed," the Vulcan remarked. "Have you any idea how he did so?"

"Perhaps later," the Kryptonian evaded. "In the meantime, I would like to hear more about you all."

At that moment they reached the Bridge; the turbolift doors parted and the group stepped out. The Bridge crew's eyes almost popped out of their heads at the sight of the incredible being whose presence seemed to fill the entire room. But they discovered that he was as mild-mannered as he was big and strong. It was astonishing how much he and Spock had in common, as well as their many differences... not the least of which was the shape of their ears and their behavior.

The first person the Man of Steel met was Uhura. She wasn't easily swayed by male charm, but then she had never met any man quite like the Kryptonian. The smile he gave her could have melted a chocolate bar at twenty paces, much less a woman's heart. The Action Ace raised her hand to his lips and kissed it.

"So your name is 'Nyota Uhura.' That means 'Star Freedom' in Swahili, doesn't it?"

"Why -- yes, it does." Uhura blushed so deeply that it was visible even through her dusky skin.

"Your name is every bit as lovely as you are, dear lady. Captain, are all the women on your ship this beautiful?"

Before Kirk could reply, Spock raised an astonished eyebrow and commented, "Captain, do you not find him... somewhat emotional for a being from such an advanced culture?"

"Why do you say that, Mr. -- Spock, isn't it? Don't you think your colleague is beautiful?" The Metropolis Marvel's voice was laced with disbelief.

The Vulcan's upswept brows shot up in startlement at being asked such a question. "I am a Vulcan," he finally said, dignity in every line of his body. "Vulcans do not notice such things. We are a logical, pragmatic people."

"Mr. Spock, my adoptive parents were Human. I knew no other way to behave." The Kryptonian frowned thoughtfully. "And if I remember correctly, you aren't entirely Vulcan."

"That's right," McCoy put in. "He's half-Vulcan. His father is Vulcan, but his mother is Human. Of course, that doesn't prevent him from *acting* like he's totally Vulcan. So much so that there's no living with him most of the time. He's like a walking computer."

Spock gave the Doctor a withering glance, but McCoy ignored him.

"There's nothing wrong with being logical and intelligent, Doctor," the Man of Tomorrow admonished.

"Provided it's not overdone," McCoy shot back. "Spock abuses the privilege."

"Sounds like he has a tendency to overcompensate because of his Human half," the Man of Steel observed. "Which reminds me, Mr. Spock. Tell me more about yourself."

McCoy couldn't help a pained look, though he said nothing more. Spock was surprised but pleased to be able to talk about his Vulcan attributes. Most of the time the Humans he worked and associated with had neither the patience nor endurance to keep up with him.

"We were once quite an emotional people and nearly killed ourselves with our passions. It was only by way of the Vulcan philosopher Surak and his reforms which managed to change us into logical, peace-loving people that our race was saved. We also have a philosophy called IDIC: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

"It means we rejoice in both our differences from and similarities to other races... anything that makes a person unique in him- or herself. In addition, my parents -- or more specifically, my mother --says that I am a living example of IDIC, personifying the best of both Vulcan and Earth."

"And from what I've learned from scanning your ship's memory banks, you've done both of them proud," the Metropolis Marvel remarked.

Spock was so astonished at this that he even forgot (at least for a moment) that he was Vulcan. He actually smiled at the Kryptonian and thanked him, prompting shocked expressions on every Human face present. Of course, the moment passed and the tour continued. They went from station to station, the officers manning them only too happy to explain their functions... including Spock, the Captain, Scotty and Uhura.

"Tell us more about yourself," Kirk entreated. "Judging from what you've told us so far, you must have done and seen many 'fascinating' things -- more than we could do in a lifetime of five-year missions."

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow at one of his favorite expressions, but remained silent.

The Action Ace spoke softly. "I haven't time to tell you much. I must be getting on with my mission. As you surely must get back to yours -- but while I'm here, I'll tell you as much as I can."

 

END PART 1
TBC