Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
529
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
905

Nothing

Summary:

My voice and heart cry out for him. I don't want to lose the man I love, not again

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Nothing
by Cassie

My heartbeat quickens. My mind races. My body tries desperately to keep up.

I'm running through dense fog and musty air. It's difficult to breathe.

Trees obscure my vision and I'm hit with a rush of adrenaline, it pushes me to continue on.

The crack of a gun being fired startles me. I know without doubt that the bullet gives instant death to its target. I don't know who is hit. My partner, John Doggett or the man we have chased into the
dense forest.

A man's body lies dead several feet in front of me. Please don't let it be John. I should have run faster. I should have been there, watching his back as he has watched mine.

I don't see the second man, I approach with caution.

"Agent Doggett?"

My voice and my heart cry out for him. I don't want to lose the man I love, not again.

My blood chills and I know my skin has turned deathly pale when I see John lying dead at my feet in a pool of his own blood.

I kneel beside him, checking his neck for a pulse.

Nothing.

I touch my hand to his face, he is still warm but his eyes no longer carry his soul. I run my hand through his hair one last time as I whisper "I love you".

A twig snaps behind me and in a flash I'm on my feet, my gun drawn.

A flash. That's all I see before a bullet enters my gut. I fall onto John's body, my back crashes onto his chest. My own blood spills to the ground, mixing with his.

I am in shock.

The man hovers over me, his face is covered by a black ski mask.

I know his eyes. Emerald green eyes. They look at me with sympathy and sadness. His eyes communicate to me that he is sorry for what he has done. He turns and calmly walks away,
having accomplished a mission. For whom, I don't know. Why? I'll never understand.

Does this have to do with mine and Mulder's child?

I turn my head and look at John's face. Why had I never told him the result of our love for each other? I had miscarried my first pregnancy soon after Mulder's disappearance. I had been blessed
again with another pregnancy when John and I made love soon after our first few months together.

He would have liked to know he was going to be a father again.

A tear falls down my face and dissolves through the fabric of John's shirt. I know that the life inside me is gone. At least we'll be reunited in heaven (if it exists).

My heartbeat slows and the world quiets around me until all falls silent. The world is at peace. I no longer feel pain. My thoughts fade away as death glazes over my eyes.

I exhale for the last time.

On this side, I have nothing.

 

The End

----------

Love it? Hate it? Let me know: foxytime@yahoo.com

You can find my other stories at these sites:
http:///foxytime.polish-sausage.com/
http://frvs.polish-sausage.com/

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Cassie.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.