Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-07-12
Words:
70,207
Chapters:
16/16
Comments:
3
Kudos:
20
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
4,374

Brass Will

Summary:

A new homicide detective comes to Vegas with connections to Brass. That isn't to say there won't be other, ahem, connections in the future.
Status: WIP
Archive: Sure, if that makes you happy
Spoilers: Pilot, “Cool Change�
Category: Het, a little H/C (sort of) to come
Feedback: Sure, cause that would make ME very happy.

Chapter 1: The Brass will be doubled

Chapter Text

Brass Will
by Loretta
peysmom30@yahoo.com

 

******* Outside an office building in downtown Las Vegas, NV,6:30 pm ******

"Excuse me, miss? This is a crime scene, you can't go back there." He stated this with an authority that only sounded right coming from a man with a gun holster on his hip. 'And he wears it well,' she thought as she stopped to face the tall, muscled officer.

She favored him with a small smile. "I was invited to the party."

The uniformed officer looked befuddled by this response. His features were a mask of authority. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but this is no joke. You're going to have to leave."

Sensing he was only a step away from becoming a little more involved in her personal space than she cared to get at the moment, she brought out the badge wallet she had been holding since the moment she stepped from the Tahoe that she had arrived in. "But I have my engraved invitation."

He stared hard at what she held out to him, but only for a moment. Then he took a step back, as he had been looming over her after the first comment she had made. His expression had softened dramatically. "Oh, sorry. I thought I knew every detective in this division. I hope I didn't offend you, Detective...?" The slight rise in his voice, signaled that he would have liked this explanation before she had made her joking comments.

"No offense taken. Today's my first day on the job, and the name with title," she grinned to show she wasn't a bit concerned about the status of titles, "is ..".

"Detective Sergeant Casey Brass," Captain Jim Brass finished for her, "Nice of you to grace us with your presence, although I don't recall requesting it at this time."

She turned to look her father in the eye. "Hi Daddy, and that line is so old, it's even got a few days on you."

The uniform looked really confused now. Brass didn't acknowledge his questioning look and took his daughters elbow. Steering her toward the scene, he lowered his voice so as not to be overheard. He didn't need any more crap right now. Once everyone found out just who this young woman was, he would be getting it for a good, long time. He didn't feel like dealing with it just now, not with a new and possibly difficult homicide case to deal with.

"I thought I told you to meet me at the station."

"I was there, you weren't. I heard the call and caught a ride with the CSI's." She shrugged off his statement.

"You mean Brown." His displeasure with her and her actions went from mild to hot at the thought of the tall, handsome and, in Brass' opinion, troubled CSI.

"That's correct, he is a CSI. One of yours, in fact." She didn't confirm nor deny his idea that she had tagged along with Warrick.

"What is it with you? He helps you move in to your place, he's escorting you around town and now he's inviting you to crime scenes. Is your old man not good enough to do these things for you?" He seemed a little angry now, but she couldn't be sure if it was because of Warrick or simply because he felt left out of her life.

Her dark brown eyes flashed amusement. "You didn't offer, besides, he's better looking and has a lot more energy." Leaving the "than you " out on purpose. Better to let him go there himself. It was easier to claim she never said it, that he did.

Brass winced involuntarily at this. His eyes narrowed, focusing in on her. "Why did you accept the job offer if you aren't happy dealing with me?"

"One, I like Vegas. Two, the money was better, not to mention the promotion. And I never said I don't like dealing with you, you just assumed it. Have you ever considered that maybe it's you who has the problem dealing with me?"

In a move that was supposed to irritate him, he was quite sure, she flipped a wave of brown hair over her shoulder, highlights glinting in the sun.

"Now why would I go through with hiring you, if I didn't think I could deal with having you around all the time?" He watched her cross her arms over her chest while widening her stance just a step.

"You didn't hire me, the chief of detectives did. I'm the best detective for the job and it did occur to me that maybe you thought it would be easier to control me if you were able to look over my shoulder." Casey regretted how much she sounded like a sneering teenager. 'Way to go, super cop, real adult of you,' she chided herself.

"The chief came to me about hiring you. Wanted to know if it would be a problem for me to have you here. He left the final decision up to me."

The shock registered in her face for only a split second before she was able to clear any and all emotion from her face. "Now why would he do that?" She asked calmly.

Brass realized at that moment, this was why she was a damn good investigator and interrogator. He wondered for a second where she had learned it, but quickly pushed the thought away when it dawned on him that she was using the skill on him. He certainly wasn't willing to let his pride for her show when she was so cheerfully pushing his buttons!

"So, you didn't know that, huh?" When she didn't answer, he kept on, a small sneer lifting one corner of his mouth," I guess maybe Daddy does still know a little more than Baby Girl, even after all this time and all those fancy degrees you have."

Ignoring the intentional barb, Casey fixed him with a fierce gaze. "You skillfully avoided answering that one." Realizing an answer wasn't going to be coming, she asked, "Did you buck for the promotion as well?"

"No, you got that one on your own merits." He stated simply, blowing out a rush of air.

"I never got anything that I didn't earn. Even the respect people give me, except from you. I've never been big enough to measure against your standards, have I?" Now that was full blown sneer, teenage or otherwise!

Seeing Gil Grissom approaching, Brass cut off what he was about to say to ask, "Did you come here with Gil?" When she nodded an affirmative with the added smirk, he rolled his eyes and sighed, "We'll talk about this later."

To which she replied, "Oh, I'm sure we will Daddy, I'm sure we will."

------------------

Nick, Warrick, and Catherine were all called to the scene and arrived together. Brass and Grissom were suppose to meet them there.

As the group walked up they could see that Grissom and Brass had arrived first and they were talking to a petite, 20-something looking brunette. They all noted for future reference that Grissom was actually smiling at her.

Nick was about to ask who she could possibly be when Warrick supplied the answer, in a manner of speaking anyway.

"Little Miss Dynamite!"

Casey turned around, her eyes wide, a grin splitting her face from ear to ear. "Charlie!" She literally jumped into his arms causing Warrick to set the evidences kit he was carrying down with a hearty thump.

"What are you doing here, girl? I thought you were starting this night out with the pile of paperwork they had for you."

"What can I say, I'm quicker with a pen than I thought. Besides, when have you seen me sit out on the action?"

Warrick laughed and set her down. "Never. You're the hardest working woman I know." He grinned when he heard Catherine 'harumph' behind him. "Besides Cath that is. She's really hard working, she's a single mama."

"I'd have to agree with that." Casey looked at Catherine and offered her hand. "Hi, I'm Casey Brass. Day one as your new Detective Sergeant of Homicide."

Catherine smiled and raised her eyebrows in an expression that was a little like surprise as she responded, "Hi, I'm Catherine Willows, CSI Level 3." Then without so much as a pause she asked, "Are related to Jim, by any chance?"

Casey grinned at the direct question, expecting it, but not as the first question to be asked. "Yes, I'm his daughter. Is it just the name or do we have a resemblance?"

Warrick interrupted the exchange to introduce her to Nick. Casey wasn't sure why, Warrick knew she wasn't shy. "And this is Nick Stokes. Nick, this is Casey Brass."

They shook and Nick smiled and asked the next question that was usually the first to be asked, "How do you know Warrick and why did you just call him 'Charlie'?"

"I guess this is what I get for coming to work with some of the country's best investigators." Casey decided to keep it short, not knowing who Warrick wanted to hear this story. "Warrick and I know each other from UNLV. Even though I was a lowly freshman when he was in his last year, he befriended me. I think I learned more from him than I did in all my classes combined. And isn't Charlie obvious? Brown?" She laughed when Catherine and Nick nodded and Warrick smirked. "You're a good man, Charlie Brown."

Catherine couldn't resist, she was encouraged by the younger woman's seemingly open attitude and laid back personality, "I think a better question would be where you got your nickname. Warrick, you gonna spill or should we just assume the worst?" Catherine cocked an eyebrow at the handsome CSI. He was shaking his head in protest already.

Brass cleared his throat. Something told him he didn't want to hear this explanation. "I hate to break up this little party kids, but we've got a murder to investigate."

Casey turned back to her father. "Got it. Saved by the boss, Warrick. It's kind of a long story. Probably best told over a drink or two. Anyway, I think I'll let you all lead the way, but I promise you won't have to worry about me stumbling over your evidence."

"I imagine you've done this before if you're a Sergeant already." Nick commented with a smile.

'Whoa, now there's a look you'd like to see in the morning. Big brown eyes filled with a mix of interest and respect for your work. Hee hee.' Slow down, Casey, you just met the guy!' Casey thought she saw Nick blush when she returned his smile. Little did he know. "Homicide? Yeah, I've done this a time or two. From both sides of the aisle actually."

"What she means is that she started out as a CSI." Warrick filled in the blank for Nick.

Nick gave Warrick a glance that said he was aware of what she meant. Warrick just brushed by him to lead the group into the building where the body of a man who, at first glance, had been strangled. He had been found by a night shift janitor. Brass, Catherine and Grissom followed Warrick. Nick and Casey brought up the rear.

Nick ignored Warrick's brush off to continue his conversation with Casey. "Really? I did the opposite, started in uniform and became a CSI. Why'd you switch?"

"Well, why did you? And actually we aren't so opposite. After college, I went through the academy, wore the uniform and then decided to use the degrees I'd earned. I liked the science and the collection of the evidence but I kept feeling like I still wasn't getting what I wanted. I took the test for detective and voila!! I'm back at it in a whole new capacity.
Getting my hands dirty in a different way, if you get my drift."

Nick furrowed his brow as he thought about her answer. "I'm not sure I do. But in answer to the question of why, I can tell you that I switched because I wanted to help the victims more than anything."

They were all in the lobby now, waiting for the elevator.

"I understand that feeling. It's why I got into it, too. I guess the simple explanation is that I get to lay hands on the criminal, snap the cuffs on and watch their world crumble when they realize they aren't getting away."

"Jeez, no wonder you haven't had a date in a long time." Warrick chided her.

No one but Casey noticed Brass' shoulders tighten for a brief moment. "Perhaps I did sound a little vindictive.... Wait a minute, don't be putting rumors like that about me out on the water, Charlie."

They entered the lobby elevator and rode up to the fourth floor, which was also the top floor. When the doors slid open, Brass led the way to a large corner office. He hadn't said a word since getting them back to the business at hand.

He opened the office door and they entered single file, Brass waiting for them all to pass.

"Well, here's your chance, Baby Girl, show us your stuff." He said this with just enough volume for the CSI's to hear. Casey could see everyone's ears prick up at her father's comment, except for Gil's.

"Not today. I think I'll let the pros do their thing while I do some leg work. Got a name on this vic?" Best to act as if she hadn't heard the confrontational tone to her father's voice.

He didn't seem to expect it either, he fumbled for his notebook. "Uh yeah, janitor said he was Donely Hunt. He's the owner of this business, Hunt Travels."

"A travel agency that's closed by 6pm? "

"Well, it is today." Catherine spoke up. "I'll get some photos and then I'll search him for id."

Nick sank to his haunches next the body along side Catherine. He was studying the wound around the man's neck.

"Thanks, Catherine." Casey looked around the room. "Well, I don't see any overt signs of a struggle, no obvious break in, so our guy probably didn't make much noise. Indicates possible familiarity with the vic or he was cat like and very strong.'"

Warrick smiled at the memory that her cat reference (and the quick glance she threw his way when she said it) brought back. Halloween was her favorite holiday. It brought out her alter ego, one of the many was Catwoman. Not a sight he was soon to forget.

'Meow' was Nick's innocent response, which only served to turn Warrick's smile into a choked off laugh.

"If six is too early to close, where are all the people who work here?" Gil asked, looking at Warrick with a slightly puzzled frown. Warrick couldn't do anything but turn away and fake a few more coughs.

"Or does he have employees ?" Nick suggested.

"I'll check the files, Gil. Got some spare gloves for me?" Casey asked.

Catherine dug into her case, "Take mine, you'll drown in anything larger."

"Keep this up and I'm really gonna have to like you, Catherine. I promise to stock my own from now on. I usually do, but I guess I forgot in the first-day excitement."

"I have to say, I like anyone who can call Warrick 'Charlie' and get away with it." Catherine winked at her.

Casey caught it, smiled back at Catherine and tossed a glance over her shoulder at Warrick before she headed off to the inner office in search of the company records.

Nick couldn't hold back a chuckle, "Dude, you are in so much trouble now."

Warrick groaned and didn't say a word. He knew anything he said would only make the teasing worse. 'But, man, it's good to have Casey back in town. For me at least.' This time he did smile.

 

END PART 1

Thank you if you took time to read!!!!