Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,068
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,233

Daggers In the Heart

Summary:

Jim hears horrible news on Memorial Day. Not a death story. 6K

Work Text:

Daggers In The Heart

Patt
PattRose@cox.net

Not A Death Story, just looks like it at first.

 

 

Jim put the phone down and stared at it in shock. He stood up and walked into Simon's ofice.

 

"Hey, Jim, what's happening? Get those papers done yet?"

 

"Sir. I need to take off." Jim said it so quietly that he wasn't even sure he said it himself.

 

"What's wrong, Ellison. Sit down and talk to me."

 

"Sandburg's dead." Jim was still speaking in a quiet tone.

 

"What do you mean he's dead? I just saw him an hour ago. Jim, someone is pulling your leg." Simon tried to calm the man down.

 

"Sir, they called me with the information from the morgue. He's dead."

 

"Well, how did he die?"

 

Jim just shrugged his shoulders.

 

"Well, I'm going down with you and asking questions." Simon stormed out of his office with Jim.

 

"What's the matter?" Joel inquired.

 

"The morgue called and said Sandburg is dead." Simon said matter-of-factly.

 

Conner was coming around the corner and heard the news. She started crying and ran into Jim's arms.

 

Jim didn't need this at all. He was having a hard time holding in his feelings as it was.

 

They all arrived downstairs and asked to see Blair Sandburg and the man walked into a room and left them.

 

The door opened as he came back out and said, "Sorry, he was picked up to be cremated, per his wishes."

 

Jim had been so brave until then. He sat down on the bench and started to silently cry. Everyone sat around him and cried and tried to comfort him.

 

"It's Memorial Day today." Joel stated for the record.

 

That seemed to make Jim cry harder. Suddenly he got up, stopped crying and said, "I have to go home."

 

"Jim, please don't do anything stupid." Megan begged.

 

"I just need to rest and think. I promise I won't do anything stupid."

 

They all watched Jim get on the elevator and felt as if they'd never see him again.

 

"Taggert, Brown and Rafe, will you look into this. We need to know how he died." Simon put his arm around Conner and they went upstairs.

 

After about an hour, Conner was still crying. Simon had gone downstairs to get some more details from his men. Conner felt arms come around her and they were so comforting. She opened her eyes and she let out a blood curdling scream.

 

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Conner?" Blair asked stepping back as he tried to get his hearing back.

 

"Oh Jesus. Jim thinks you're dead. He left. He went home alone."

 

"You let him go alone?" Blair was in shock. At that moment Simon entered his office and said, "What the fuck?"

 

"Would someone tell me what's going on?" Blair pleaded.

 

Simon told him everything and Blair told Simon he was mugged and at the hospital. "I had a concussion."

 

"Jim thinks you're dead." Simon whispered.

 

"I have to go, Simon." Blair wasn't asking, he was telling.

 

Blair drove like a bat-out-of-hell and got to the loft in record time. He chanted as he ran up the stairs, "Please be all right. Please be all right. Please be all right."

 

He opened up the door and couldn't hear anything. He looked upstairs and Jim wasn't in their bed. Then he looked in his old room. He wasn't there either. The bathroom door was closed and he opened it quietly and Jim was in the bathtub, sound asleep. All Blair heard were those sad little noises you make when you've cried too long and too hard.

 

Blair walked quietly over to the tub and sat next to it. He rubbed Jim's face and Jim opened his eyes and smiled.

 

"I missed you so much, Chief. I won't leave you alone." Jim said sadly.

 

"Jim, I'm here. I got mugged and the guy used my id. That's why they thought it was me. You doofus."

 

Jim looked at Blair oddly when he said that. "Chief. Oh god, you're here?"

 

"No, I'm not here. I'm just pretending, you doofus."

 

"Oh god, Chief, it's you. I love you so much. And we had that fight this morning. I was so upset about that. Oh fuck. I cried at work. I am never going to live that down." Jim was holding on to Blair, and not letting go.

 

"Everything will be fine, Jim. Not to worry. I love you, too. And I'm sorry about the fight today. From now on, no fights in the morning." Blair was making a major rule.

 

"I agree with you, babe. And you know what else? This is Memorial Day. From now on it's a major holiday for you and me. Now let's go upstairs and celebrate." Jim didn't even dry off as he dragged his love up the stairs.

 

Blair followed behind Jim and thought, you sure have to love these Sentinels.

 

In the middle of the night Blair sat up in bed and slapped Jim on his chest.

 

"Chief, what's wrong?"

 

"Did it occur to anyone to check and see why I was picked up so fast and cremated? They couldn't have done an autopsy. That's the fucking law Jim. Why didn't all of you check on that?

 

"That's when I was crying."

 

"Oh... Well all right then. I love you. Go back to sleep." Blair kissed him and waited for Jim to lightly snore.

 

As soon as Blair heard the sounds, he whispered, "I think it's nice that you cried for me. I love you too."

 

Jim wasn't sleeping and could do nothing but smile. Guides truly rock.

 

 

End Daggers In The Heart