Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,357
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,022

Teddy Blair

Summary:

After Blair has a run in, Jim comforts him but it isn't as it seems.

Work Text:

Despite my Sentinel senses I can be a sound sleeper at times. So when I woke up with a start I knew immediately something was wrong. But what was it? I turned up my hearing as I sat up in bed. The warm summer air drifted through the loft and I focused on the house. Blair? Was he crying?

I got up out of bed in a flash and took the stairs two at time. He was huddled in the kitchen with an ice pack to his face. "Chief!" I turned on a light and felt my temper fly. There was blood on his clothing and his face was swelling with a fierce looking bruise.

"What happened?" I gently pulled away the ice pack and winced. "Chief?"

"Don't want to talk about it. It's over go back to bed Jim." Blair's voice sounded hollow.

"You've got blood on your shirt. I'm not about to let this go. Who did this to you? I'll have him downtown and cuffed before you can say, "Seattle Mariners."

"Look I'm okay just fucking leave it!" Blair got up, ran for his room and slammed the door. Then I heard the lock on the door, his tossing of the ice pack and his body hitting the mattress before he began to sob again.

I scratched my head and called the precinct. "Ellison? Don't you ever sleep?" came the voice of the night desk.

"No, I don't. Look I need to ask has there been any reports of violence in town?" I whispered.

"Yeah, just brought two guys into the hospital and one into lockup."

"What was it about and where was it?"

"Just a few blocks from your house actually. Gay bashing." I almost dropped the phone. "Ellison you still there?"

"Yeah, you say you got the guy?"

"Sure did. Would you believe one of them had homemade mace on him? Then he called 911 and fled the scene. Whoever he is he's a real hero. Have any information on it?"

"Maybe I'll be in early," I hung up the phone. Fuck. Okay either Blair was with a bunch of guys that were mistaken for gays or Blair was gay. But what about the parade of women Blair seemed to attract? Was it for show? I rummaged around and found some frozen peas for a new ice pack. Then I went over to Blair's room. "Let me in Blair. I know what happened. I just want to make sure you're okay." I heard a few sniffles before the door unlocked.

Blair sat with his back to me on the bed. "I'm fine Jim. I'll be out before anyone pieces it together."

"Chief what are you talking about?" I walked over and handed him the new ice pack.

"Thanks. You can't have me staying here now that I'm outted. I'll pack up first thing." I froze. Blair was gay or at least bi. The guys downtown would have a field day no doubt but by the same token Blair was a hero.

"I'm proud of you Chief. You did everything right. I'm sure it was my training." I said smugly.

Blair laughed then moaned, "Don't make me laugh man. I just didn't want Simon and the guys to figure it out right away. I bought myself sometime to get some sleep before I have to leave. I'm sure I can crash on campus somewhere."

"Chief."

"I mean one of my students can link me up with something."

"Chief"

"Or maybe I can sweet talk my way into faculty quarters."

"Chief I don't want you to go."

"Maybe one of my old buddies can hook...what did you say man??"

"You heard."

"I heard yeah, but I don't get it. The guys will eat you alive."

"Don't you think they have been teasing me already? Chief you've been here for over a year, you turned down Borneo for me. They probably have us cross-dressing, using whips and swinging from the ceiling."

"That doesn't bother you?" Blair turned to look at me those puppy dog eyes looking at me hopefully.

"Not as much as you not telling me you were bi or gay or whatever first. I live with you didn't I make the list of people to tell?"

"I figured you'd freak, that's why I made sure to always have a girl on my arm. They like playing with the hair so it's easy enough to get dates."

"What am I going to do with you Blair? I thought you trusted me."

"I do I just couldn't risk it."

"Because you thought I'd lose my job or toss you out."

"Something like that."

I sighed. "So are you going to bring Mr. Right around to meet me?"

"I'm not dating anyone." Blair looked down at his blooded shirt.

"Well bedtime Chief, come on." I said and turned leaving the door open.

"Huh?" Blair asked in confusion. I turned again.

"If I'm going to do the time might as well do the crime. Besides I never had a teddy bear whose hair I could play with." I smiled and suddenly had an armload of Blair. "That's better, but not too fast you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks."

"You aren't old Jim." I glared at him." Well you can't be if you still want a teddy bear."

"I want a teddy Blair, now get up there." I playfully smacked him on the butt. When I got to the loft I took off his shirt, shoes and socks, put the bag of peas back on his face and pulled him to my chest.

"I love you man," Blair whispered before I knew he'd fallen asleep. I reached over and removed the peas from his face.

"Love you too Sandburg." I kissed his forehead and played with his hair until I fell asleep.

 

I was the first to wake up the next morning with my brain * having an internal battle with my heart.

*What have you gotten yourself into now Ellison? Blair thinks you're ready to go whole hog on this whole gay thing.

Yeah, but there's always been something that draws me to the kid maybe this is part of it.

* How do you know it's not just the Sentinel and his guide relationship?

Oh please, how many Sentinels want to play with their Guide's hair?

*But how much more do you want? The kid is crazy about you. It was written all over his face last night.

I want to explore this. Hey, Blair means everything to me.

*Wow, where did that come from?

Me, the heart, try to think of a full day, a week, or a month without Blair.

*Point taken. But we need a plan of action here.

Must you take the fun out of everything?

*Yes, now shut up and let me think. Hmm, this stays here. The guys at work, my career and all that comes with it has to be protected. Make this clear to Blair.

He's going to be hurt. We have to explain it to him carefully.

*I think he'll understand. Now, he needs to make a statement about the incident last night. How can I protect his identity? Damn, what if Simon asks why I called? Okay, have Blair do it by Instant Messenger. He can slide a note under the door about time. If Simon asks my senses were picking up something. We take it slow with Blair.

Deal.

~ Hey, his breathings changed I think he's waking up. ~

"Morning chief, how are you doing?" I asked in a soft tone.

"Did you get the number of that freight train?" Blair groaned.

"That bad?" I rolled him toward me and looked at his face. Damn. That bruise was a beauty. There'd be no way to hide it. He'd have to take a few days off. "Yeah, well I think you just earned a few days at home."

"What? No way, man. I've got stuff to do." Blair quickly protested.

"Chief, you can't show up downtown like that. The guys will figure it out in a heartbeat." I said firmly trying to push my point home.

"Oh, right. Damn! But no one will care on campus!"

"News travels, time to call out sick. Better people suspect then know for sure."

Blair nodded in defeat and laid his head on my chest.

This is nice. I could deal with this on a regular basis.

I reached out and began to play with his hair, letting my senses zone just a bit on the texture, the sun shinning off of it and the smell.

"Jim?" came a voice into my zone.

"Mmm?"

Wow, it's so soft. I could do this all day.

"Never mind." Blair said quietly.

"I hate when you do that. Just tell me okay?"

I wonder how long it took him to grow it out to this length?

"You've never been with a guy before have you?"

You are my Guide; there is no one else.

"No. Does it matter?"

Blair sat up. "Stupid, stupid, stupid! You never said you were gay I just jumped to conclusions! Look man, I'm sorry. I'll just go grab a shower." He bolted downstairs as my mind tried to focus; I was still half zoned out.

*What the fuck just happened?

He's hurt.

*Why what did I do?

You need to tell him that you want to explore this.

I got up out of bed and went downstairs. Making myself some coffee I sat and waited for Blair to emerge. I really wanted to shower but it would have to wait. If I showered he might bolt or get it in his head that he needed to move out again. Sure enough he creeped out and was dressed to go out.

"Hey, you kind of cut me off there."

"Jim, I, uh, didn't see you there."

"Want some coffee?"

"You made it? Has it been checked by the CDC?"

"Very funny Sandburg." I made a cup and pushed it across the counter. "Look, I'm sorry I upset you. Truth is I thought you could be my Guide in this too."

"What?" Blair looked totally lost.

"Can't we just explore this?"

"So what happens to me if you decide you aren't interested? Do I get tossed away like some experiment gone bad?" Blair looked both upset and hurt. I could hear his heart beating faster.

"Chief, I wouldn't do that. I love you man."

"Do you? Do you really? Then why ask me to put myself on the line like this? Suddenly super cop thinks he might be interested in me and I have to do be the rat in the cage?"

"You're blowing this all out of proportion Chief. I've felt for a while now that there's something missing from our whole Guide and Sentinel relationship."

"So you think this might be it? Fuck the Guide and see if it makes things better? Fuck my feelings too? Well, you know what Jim? FUCK YOU!" Blair ran for his room.

I ran around from my side of the counter and managed to tackle him before he got to his room. Straddling his hips I pinned him underneath me. He folded his arms over his chest and looked away from me.

"Look I'm an idiot. I'm not the kind of guy that understands about feelings. You know that. All I'm saying is that if you decide that you want to take a chance with me, I'm willing all right? Is that so bad to just say I'd like to explore the possibilities and if it would be with anyone it would be you Blair. It's only ever been you."

I got up and did my damndest to ignore the pain coming from my chest. I sighed. "We need to discuss about how you can let the precinct know details on this case. If you type out a note and email it to Simon you can set up a time to instant messenger. We're going to need details if we're going to nail this creep. I don't like what he did to you at all and he's going down."

Grabbing my coat I hesitated at the door. I couldn't look back. "I'll tell Simon you have a cold. You know how to reach me. Be careful." I closed the door behind me.

That's when I heard Blair say," God Jim you have no idea how much I want you. But I'm scared man. Scared shitless of losing you for good." I hesitated, maybe he wanted me to hear that but then again sometimes he forgets. Shaking my head I headed for the car, I needed to think.
****************************
Read/Review?