Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Risen Phoenix- From the Ashes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,703
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
2
Hits:
844

From the Ashes- Glossary of Terms

Summary:

A glossary of terms used in the Risen Phoenix/ Space: Above and Beyond series 'From the Ashes'.

This was originally posted at Una's 'S:AAB Fanfic Flightdeck' by me back in 2002.

Semper Fi! 

Work Text:

From the Ashes- GLOSSARY

by

Robin Burchardt 

Last updated- January 5th, 2016

-Act of '89- The act of Congress that reactivated the horse-mounted cavalry during WW3.  

-Agent 'Black'- Highly lethal chemical agent used to kill American personnel in WW3. Most prominent effect being hemorrhagic bleeding from mucus membranes. Lethal in 98% of cases.  

-Alliance of Sentient Worlds [ASW]- Galactic organization formed in 2201 that united Earth with two other, alien worlds to promote peace and interspecies communication/relations in outer space. Had built to five, distinct species during the Sirius Majoran War.   

-Battletongue- The complex language of chirps, buzzes, and clicks used by NAAF forces in all combat/transmission situations. Originally a subliminal program of education by Janus. By the time Maria came to the events of 'From the Ashes', there were 39 different dialects that only the rarest few in the NAAF knew all of. The language itself was never broken by any, known enemy. 

-‘Black Dragon'- Call sign in ASW for Maria when flying in combat missions.   

-Book of the Dead- The book of American dead kept by the Soviet Union during their conquest of the United States. Intended- once finished- to be taken back to Moscow to be housed in a special wing of the Kremlin to document the 'Triumph' of the USSR over America. Captured by American forces and kept by the NAAF to document the atrocities committed by the Soviet Union. 

-Circle- Pentagon offshoot in the time/space stream Maria Strasser came from. Replaced the old Pentagon in 2108 and was moved to Omaha, NE. 

-CoCinC- Co-Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. A designation given to General Strasser that ensured that the United States would always have an overall commander in the event that the President or she was killed. Given the dangers of top officials being exposed if away from the seat of power, the rank was approved, but is not condoned by the present American Constitution. 

-The Code- The belief that all NAAF adhered to once arrived in the time of the American Civil War. A pledge of allegiance to the NAAF Command that supersedes all loyalty to any present-time government in power, though protection of the United States is still in full effect. 

-CMH with the Diamond Wreath- The unique honor bestowed upon Maria Strasser for returning with the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence from Moscow during WW3. As it was believed that then-Colonel Strasser could not possibly come back alive, when she did this honor was created for her singular act. It remained an honor never to be duplicated. It is an Army Medal of Honor with a wreath of 52 American diamonds set in platinum around it. 

-Currtimer- Inhabitants of a current timestream/dimension that are not NAAF personnel. 

-DAC [acronym] - Dumb Ass Colonists. 

-DT [Day Troops] - NAAF units designated to fight only during daylight hours and would switch off with NT units at sunset.  

-Deer Hang- The method of killing most employed by stringing an enemy up with a rope about their feet while alive. They were then sliced open from throat to crotch. Used by the NAAF to great effect during WW3. The act greatly reduced the number of Soviet atrocities that marked the first, five years of the War. 

-Denver Flu- Weaponized version of the Spanish Influenza of 1918 with particular emphasis on transmission and severity/lethality. First seen in WW3-era Denver among its debilitated, civilian population and spread to kill over 100,000+ people. 

-'Disappear'- A Janus term for the complete 'relocation' of an enemy or other person Janus has deemed to be a threat to it or to the NAAF. The most common method was to send such person[s] back into Earth's very early history to be killed by natural causes. Method was greatly preferred as the chance of any, such person[s] returning was virtually zero. 

-‘Draco' Squadron- 47th Squadron, 7th Alliance Fighter Wing, 1st Fleet- As the ASW's most-elite fighter squadron, the ‘Draco' [or ‘The Dragons'] Squadron contained the cream of all fighter pilots in the Alliance Fleet. No regard was given to species, gender, financial/social status, or race. All prospective, experienced pilots were invited to join. A pilot could not ‘sign-on' or otherwise ‘request' themselves in as a pilot. All incoming pilots [Dragonets] first had to prove their worth in one of two ‘entry squadrons'- either the 28/6/2 ‘Phantoms' or in the 88/3/9 ‘8-Balls'. The testing period for Dragonets could run into two years. No pilot outside of these two squadrons would be considered fit for the ‘Draco' unit unless they served in one of the two entry squadrons first. No exceptions were ever made; save for the ‘Founders 3', of which General Strasser was one of the Founders. Once cleared, the pilot formally became a ‘Dragon'. Once accepted into the ‘Draco' squadron, pilots received a color designation that served as their call-sign within the squadron. [Ex. ‘Black Dragon'- Gen. Maria Strasser]. Once a certain color was given, it was held by the pilot until death. It was not used as an indication of ability, or lack thereof. Fighter craft, while not painted in the conventional sense, had design markings that emerged [via ‘marking lumins'] shaded with the ‘color' of the pilot's call-sign along with the rank abbreviation, name, rank insignia, and personal unit history shields the pilot wished to be shown. The coiled-tail, rampant Dragon [‘de Sade'] of the 47th was always figured onto the skin of the craft. Going into combat, these ‘lumins' shut off to prevent enemy recognition of certain pilots by markings, or by color.The ‘Dragons' often tested out the latest prototype fighters that came off the assembly line. They also flew the latest-model fighters of any unit in the Alliance Fleet. Pilots had to test annually to retain ‘active' status. ‘Inactive' Dragons were given the option to ‘reactivate' or ‘retire'. They could not remain in an ‘inactive' status for longer than a year. Pilots could be relieved of ‘Draco' membership for gross misconduct, insubordination, or for flagrant crimes [whether military or civilian]. Once a pilot was struck from the Rolls, all mention and documentation of them was erased and the person was never again given any recognition for their service. 

-Dress Blacks- Standard, full dress uniform peculiar to all NAAF personnel. With allowances made for different branches, these uniforms were only worn by NAAF soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines. Unauthorized wearing was punishable under Law. 

-DUH [acronym] - Done Under Hiding. A term for Black-Ops programs. Named after the sound made when one got asked about certain missions. 

-End Zone- Mission completed [NAAF term].

-FCMR [First Cavalry 'Mountain Rangers'] - Regiment commanded by General Strasser personally during WW3. Though she operated with her own NT unit, the General was considered the 1stCMR leader while certain duties were ran by her subordinate, General John H. Bryce. 

-Fragging- The practice of terminating any soldier who refused to pull their weight or shirked duty in the field. Corpses were always buried properly, though not with honors. The cause of death was listed as 'unknown causes'. After WW3, the practice became highly uncommon as more operations were done with Janus oversight. 

-General of the Armies [GoA] - Maria Strasser's rank in the NAAF. Last held by General John J. Pershing during WW1 and to General George Washington before him. The rank retired with Pershing, but was reactivated during WW3. Symbolic of this supreme rank, Maria Strasser was presented with Washington's own sword to wear at formal occasions. 

-George Washington's Sword- Presented to the newly-commissioned General Strasser to symbolize her overall command of all American Forces during WW3. The sword was used by Washington during his command of the Continental Army during the Revolution. It was bequeathed to Washington's nephew with the admonishment to draw the sword only ‘in self-defense or in defense of [the] country and its rights'. It was one of the few national treasures gotten out of Washington, D.C. before the Soviets detonated nuclear weapons above the Capitol. 

-Gone Black- Term for combat-induced blackout. Also called 'auto-pilot'. 

-Grenademan- A usually horse-mounted position in a cavalry unit, where reloadable RPGs are used against enemy armor. 

-Gulag- Soviet death camps for American citizens. Not wholly devoted to the termination of their inmates as some American civilians of high value were sometimes kept to promote leverage against certain units of the NAAF or American Government.  

-The Hole- 5-mile wide and 1,000 foot deep crater near Rock Springs, WY. Used to dispose of all bodies of American civilians killed by the Soviets. Held nearly 200 million American corpses at last count. 

-Hula Belt- Leather belt with six loops for attachment of RPG rounds. Worn by mounted grenademen. 

-I-58 'Asp'- Endo/Exo craft manufactured by Boeing/Aerodyne in 2220. Have thought-controlled systems, laser targeting, and weapons systems utilizing high-energy beams to cut into enemy spacecraft. Also has an advanced, immersion cockpit that prevents G-force extremes to human body. 

-Iopians [species] - Iop [singular], Iops [small group] - Closest word to the name for the aliens encountered by the Earth Forces in the 'From the Ashes' series. Original word is unpronounceable in English as Iopians communicate in a fashion similar to dolphins and cetaceans. Term first heard by General Steven Olfetsky's era-bud translator when kidnapped to meet with Iopian representatives on Gila 34. 

-Inay'e- Reference taken from Navajo word for 'alien gods' and used to refer to Iopians.  

-Janus- Organization of scientists who- during WW3- enabled America to be able to cross dimensional/time streams to prevent events from occurring in the past, present, or future. They work in complete symbiosis with the NAAF and consider General Strasser to be their human face to their organization. 

-Jump Box- A device that permits rapid transport through space/time from one specific location to another location through temporal distortion. Sometimes referred to as a ‘personal wormhole'.  

-Lunglax- Bronchodilator trade name for drug used by Maria Strasser to keep her lungs open and functioning. A cocktail of three, unique poisons that will kill if ingested over a long period of time. The warp matrix that the NAAF passed through to access the Civil War neutralized this lethal effect in Strasser's body, though she still has to take it to keep her lungs open. 

-Military Furballs- Species from the Sagitta System. Basically a living, fur-covered organism without eyes but with a keen sense of smell and hearing. Generally amiable toward sentient beings, furballs were classed as ‘military' for their poison fang and for the swarming of those creatures that threatened them. Their poison is the most lethal in the known worlds of the ASW and one must have authorization to own one. A furball ‘bonds' to only one, sentient being in the course of its life through a process called a ‘bite'. Sounds are purring trills when happy and a high-pitched chitter when angry/aggressive. Furballs are asexual and reproduce asexually under the right conditions. Average age for their species is 15-20 Earth-standard years. 

-Monkey Suit- NAAF term for a dress uniform. Used more by upper-echelon officers. 

-MRV [acronym] - Meals Ready to Vomit. Alternate term for MREs. 

-NAAF- New American Armed Forces that encompassed remnants of the old Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps after the start of WW3. 

-New Washington, [D.C.] - [formerly Helena, MT] - Seat of the New American government during WW3 and command center for all re-established elements of the American military during WW3. 

-NT-[Night Troops]. Designated to fight solely at night and switched off with DT units. General ratio was 3DT to 1NT during WW3.  

-9.24.88- Date of the start of World War Three. 

-'Nosferatus', 8th NT Group- Maria's own NT unit that served in Central Rockies during WW3. Insignia of a bat-eared, bald-headed, grinning Nosferatu vampire in a black robe with a sickle moon and night sky behind it. 

-Nub- Implant placed into the top of a human skull with attachments into the brain that allowed thought-guided communication by human to mechanical and computer systems. First used in 2175. The nub fits a headset that authorizes type of access into controlled areas of operation. Rank determines precise level of access and clearance is verified through thought patterns and specific brainwaves. 

-Omniscient- Maria's security clearance, especially in terms of Janus-sanctioned projects and intel gathered by them. A level above the current 'Majestic' in security clearance parlance. 

-Pa'aku fruit- Edible fruit found on Flora 1378 and on other Alliance-friendly planets. Possibly cultivated by a non-human species in antiquity. 

-Processing Plant- Alternate name for Gulag, though more occupied with killing than maintaining life for prisoners. 

-Project Janus- see 'Janus' 

-Risen Phoenix- Overall name for NAAF during World War Three. Symbolized by a flaming eagle/phoenix with olive leaves and arrows in its talons and 'E Pluribus Unum' scroll in beak. Latin scroll above its head reads- ‘Sicut Phoenix ex cineribus ita resurgit'. Translated to: 'Like the Phoenix from the ashes, so too we rise'. Flag has insignia centered and set in black silk field. 

-Sap- Substance secreted by Sirius Majoran 'Spiders' to trap lifeforms prior to embryo implantation by females of that species. 

-S&B [Shake and Bake] - Off-world, terraformed colony. Term first heard in 20th century movie titled 'Aliens'. 

-SK-38- Adapted rifle used by NAAF troops that accommodated rounds used by Soviet Kalashnikov and American M-16 weapons. 

-S&E [Slit and Eviscerate] - See 'Deer-Hang'. 

-SO [Spec Ops] - Special Operations units. 

-Spiders- Informal name for main, Sirius Majoran species and descriptive of the arachnid appearance of this alien species. 

-Star Cloak- Defensive system that enables an ASW ship to operate and be completely invisible- both visually and in detection- to enemy craft. Powered by auronium-based reactors, the system also allows a cloaked vessel to fire while completely hidden.  

-Tango- Target or enemy. 'Charlie' also used to designate. 

-‘Testudo' System- the shield defense system used by ASW ships to defend against enemy fire. Linking with the ‘Star Cloak', the two foremost defense programs aboard any ASW warship or carrier. 

-TMFG [acronym] - Three Main Food Groups- WW3 slang for caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. 

-Three Point- WW3 term for an approved mission. Approval from Congress, Pentagon, and President for certain operations. Used only in WW3 and not used since. 

-U.S.S. Endurance- Flagship of the Earth branch of the Alliance Fleet in 2234. 

-VIBI [Visual Illusion Body Interface] - A device that conceals the body in a visual illusion, generally that of another human being. When engaged, only the actual eyes are visible to those that see the concealed wearer. Created by Janus in the early 1950s to provide protection for high-level officers and Spec Ops forces when conventional disguise was not enough to maintain protection from discovery. 

-Vigil- Ceremony performed every September 24th to remember to 230 million American lives killed by the Soviets during WW3. 23, elite veterans of WW3 stand for 23 straight hours at attention without food, water, or motion in tribute. One hour each for every 10 million killed. See also- 'The Hole'. 

-Wardogs- Generally German Shepherd, Belgian Malinois, or shepherd/wolf mixed breeds used in combat by NAAF troops during WW3. Trained to kill Soviets by seeking out the chemical-taint of Soviet soldiers. Used, post-WW3, to provide protection to officers and those who were trainer/handlers.  

-World War Three- Started on 9.24.88, this last world war had the Soviets and their allies pitted against the United States and Great Britain. It last for nearly ten years and consumed the lives of over a quarter billion people. Great Britain was destroyed by nuclear attack from East European satellite states of the Soviets. The war ended after the NAAF and Janus went back to the time of the American Civil War. The Soviets decimated New Washington in a nuclear attack. The Soviet launch caused their submarines to also launch their payloads and caused the destruction of America and the Earth of that time. They opted to move all their operations into the American Civil War afterwards, unaware of the capability of Janus and the NAAF to intercept them there.  

-X-craft- Sirius Majoran craft piloted by three 'spiders' as a crew. Slower and heavier than most Alliance craft, but very powerful in armaments.     

 

Series this work belongs to: