Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2014-07-30
Words:
70,745
Chapters:
30/30
Comments:
10
Kudos:
48
Hits:
5,930

The Shifting Series

Summary:

Jim comes home from work with a life change and Blair is trying to figure it out.

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Shift

Notes:

This is a Sentinel Thursday, Challenge. The prompt is Bar.

Chapter Text

An Unexpected Shift

By PattRose

Warnings: None

Genre: Slash

Word Count:

Challenge: #499 Bar (Sentinel Thursday)

Summary: Jim comes home from work with a life change and Blair is trying to figure it out.

Blair was at the loft, sitting at the table, grading papers. He figured he would get some of his work done while waiting for Jim to get home. He wondered suddenly where Jim was. He hadn't called or anything. Usually, his lover was quite good at letting him know if he was going to be late or not. Blair shook his head and tried to get rid of the thoughts that came to mind. What if Jim was tired of him already? It had happened many times before, with other people, so this wouldn't surprise Blair at all. He looked up at the clock and realized it was almost eight o'clock. Blair picked up his cell and called the station to talk to Jim. A nervous Blair, needed reassurance. He dialed the number and had a night time detective answer.

"Detective Stone, may I help you?"

"Hey, Stone, it's Blair Sandburg. Have you seen Jim Ellison tonight?" Blair asked.

Stone didn't miss a beat as he said, "He took the day off, Sandburg. You would think you would know that much about your roommate."

"Thanks, man. Talk to you later." Blair closed the line and wondered what was going on. Why did Jim leave that morning as if he was going to work and not go? Blair put all of his paperwork away and cleared the table. He was going to start something for dinner and then hope that Jim wouldn't lie to him. Blair took his laptop, the papers and his backpack and set it on the bar. He didn't know what he was going to do with the news that Jim would no doubt tell him that evening.

Blair started making dinner and just finished some beef stew when the door opened and Jim walked in. Blair noticed his lover looked tired, as if he had been working all day. Maybe Stone was wrong. Blair walked over to meet Jim as he turned around from hanging his jacket up. Blair put his arms around Jim and hugged him tight. But he found himself staying in the same place just holding on for dear life.

"Not that I'm complaining, Chief, but what's this about?"

Blair back away from Jim and smiled one of his trademark smiles and said, "Nothing is wrong. I just missed you."

"That's nice to hear. Thank you. I missed you, too. It's been a really long day and I have something to talk to you about. Could we eat first, Chief?"

"I made beef stew," Blair said.

"I know, Chief. Remember, I'm a Sentinel. I smelled it down in the parking lot. I knew it was coming from here. Or at least I hoped."

"Go wash up and I'll put dinner on the table."

Jim did as instructed and then sat down at the table and smiled a loving smile. Blair was confused. Blair dished up Jim's food and handed the plate to him.

"Chief, why are you nervous? Your heartbeat is scaring me a little. Did something happen today?"

"Jim, don't worry about me. Tell me what you have to tell me. There is no time like the present."

Jim started moving his food around on his plate, stalling for time. But when he looked up he saw fear in Blair's eyes. Jim realized he needed to talk to Blair now. "I gave my month notice yesterday. I asked Simon not to tell anyone about it. I know you're disappointed with me for not taking care of my city, but Blair I'm getting too old for chasing bad guys. Forty-two is just too damn old to keep up with the younger suspects. I also almost got killed yesterday and I thought about how you would feel to be left behind. I didn't like the thought at all. So, today I went looking at houses for you and me."

"Let me get this right. You're quitting your job, you almost got killed yesterday and you looked at houses today and you're telling me, now?" Blair was very angry and he wasn't hiding it a bit.

Jim had the decency to blush. "Chief, I honestly didn't want to upset you last night, but from the way you're acting tonight, you already knew something was up. I feel like a change is needed in our life. I know it's unexpected, but I'm hoping that you won't be too disappointed with me."

Blair just stared at his lover and didn't know what to say. He remained quiet for about five minutes while Jim just stared at him and then he said, "What did you plan on doing for the rest of your life. You can't retire at forty-two, right?"

"I was out looking at Bar's in the downtown area. I thought I might like to open a bar in the stations neighborhood. That way I could still see everyone from work, but not have to chase after bad guys. And then I looked at some small houses. I really want things to be different for us. I want to show you how committed I am to you. I want to buy a house with you. I've never wanted to buy anything with anyone before. Tell me what you think of this idea."

Blair had a confused look on his face, because he was more confused then he had ever been. "Jim, don't you think it's odd that you just up and decided this without talking to me about it? You never considered me in this equation at all. While you run a bar at night, I'm supposed to just sit around our new house and keep myself company?"

Jim got up from the table and started to pace. He was suddenly even more tired then he had been before. "Never mind, I'll tell Simon I'll stay. Forget everything I said."

Blair walked up to him, stopped Jim from pacing and asked, "Now if you got this bar, you wouldn't mind me helping you at night, would you? And it would be a bar that had a taxi service for people that had too much of a good time? And we would stay in the loft?"

Jim hugged Blair close to his chest and said, "I would do anything for you, Blair. That includes staying in the loft, if you so please. I would be thrilled if you helped me run it. I found a place downtown and it doesn't need too much work. You're off tomorrow, would you like to go and see it?"

Blair pulled Jim down for a sweet, yet passionate kiss. They kissed for awhile, until Jim pushed him away. "So does this mean, I'm forgiven?"

Blair smiled and said, "Sometimes, unexpected shifts in life are the best thing in the world. I'm by your side for everything, Jim."

"Thank you, Blair."

"I love you, Jim."

"And I love you."

The end