Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 69 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
749
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
483

After The Edge of Winter

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The Edge of Winter"

Work Text:

Dave sat at the desk in his study, working on the latest rewrites from the never ending source of aggravation that was his new book. He paused from his typing when he heard the front door open. He sat back in his seat just as Mudgie poked a head in.

Dave chuckled. “Come on in, old buddy. He wore ya out today, didn’t he?”

Mudgie approached Dave, his tail drooped but wagging. He plopped his chin on Dave’s lap. He looked up at Dave, with wide, pitiful brown eyes.

“Didn’t you explain to him that it was supposed to be a walk, not a marathon?” Dave patted the dog’s head. “Did that mean taskmaster at least give you a treat?”

Mudgie licked Dave’s hand.

There was a soft laugh. “Of course, I did, and his food and water bowls are full. He’s just being a big baby.”

Mudgie huffed and continued to pant. He burrowed his nose under Dave’s hand.

Dave looked up to see Derek standing in the doorway, a sweaty Derek wearing only a pair of running shorts and a towel draped over his shoulder. Dave blinked and turned his attention back to Mudgie. He scratched the special spot behind Mudgie’s ear. “Don’t listen to him. You’re not a big baby. You’re a good hunting dog.”

Derek started walking towards the couch by the window. “The exercise is good for him.”

“Go on and get a drink.”

Mudgie licked Dave’s hand again and backed away a couple steps. He turned. He stared at Derek wearily for a moment before he looped around, away from Derek, to walk along the wall to the door and out.

Dave laughed quietly. “He may hide the next time he sees you get the leash.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Derek snickered. He draped the towel over the leather couch before sitting down.

Dave found himself staring at Derek’s muscled chest. “After what you did to Garcia and Reid, I’m not sure if I believe you.”

Derek waved that off. “From the way they were whining, you would’ve thought I put them through Navy Seal boot camp.”

Dave tracked the progress of a drop of sweat rolling down Derek’s flat stomach. “You’re just lucky that I was able to bribe them with expensive wine and pizza.”

Derek clutched a hand over his heart and pretended to swoon. “My hero.” He was still smiling but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. There was something apprehensive there.

Dave noticed. He cleared his throat and firmly kept his gaze on the computer screen. “Did you at least run the demons out?”

Derek blew out a long breath. “Yes…no…I don’t know.”

“Things are better this way for Daria,” Dave said with quiet conviction. “She’ll stay in a place that can take care of her. It’ll do no good to put her through testifying at a trial that will only send her to jail. That hospital is the best place for her.”

Derek folded his arms across his chest. “I know. I know,” he grumbled. “I just hoped that someday she could come back from it, but that bastard broke her. She’ll never be whole again.”

Dave bared his teeth. “And said bastard is rotting in hell as we speak. That’s one shooting I haven’t lost too much sleep over.”

“That’s too good for him,” Derek whispered vehemently. He shook his head. “She told me she loved him, Dave.”

Dave frowned sadly. “It’s her way of justifying what she did.”

“But he made her torture those people. None of it was her fault!”

“She did it for love. It’s the only way she can live with it.”

Derek’s only response was a grunt. He hugged his arms tighter around himself. He looked from Dave to out the window and then back again. He let his arms fall slowly to his sides. “Why aren’t you looking at me? You were ogling me the minute I walked in and then you stopped.”

Dave shifted in his chair. “Because we’re trying to have a serious conversation and I’m trying not to get distracted by your lack of clothes.”

Derek smirked widely. “Really?”

Dave rolled his eyes. “I’m only human, Derek, but if you need to talk, we’ll talk.”

Derek laughed. His eyes sparked mischievously. “Then you can consider the serious conversation at an end.”

Dave glanced at Derek, focusing on Derek’s face. “Are you sure?”

Derek stood and flexed his muscles. “Yeah.” He licked his lips. “I’m only human, too, Dave.”

Series this work belongs to: