Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2014-02-16
Words:
5,067
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
3
Kudos:
2
Hits:
1,001

Rescue Me

Summary:

Jim and Blair have moved from the loft and everything finalized for becoming foster parents. They are called on to help a thirteen year old girl who was being abused by the boys in the group home. Will this work out? Or will the young girl be too damaged?

Chapter 1: Meet Monica

Notes:

I'm hoping to see someone add a part or two to this story and we'll get it taken care of. :)

Chapter Text

Rescue Me
By PattRose

 

Summary: Jim and Blair have moved from the loft and everything finalized for becoming foster parents. They are called on to help a thirteen year old girl who was being abused by the boys in the group home. Will this work out? Or will the young girl be too damaged?
Warnings: Talk of attempted rape/non-con, (child) language
Rating: Mature
Genre: Slash
Word Count:

 

Simon saw Jim sitting at his desk almost zoning out and called from his doorway, "Ellison, my office, please?"

Jim walked in and sat down on the chair and asked, "What's up?"

"There is something on your mind and it's interfering with work, I think. So, just tell me about it and let me help you with things." Simon poured Jim a cup of his wonderful smelling brew and handed him the cup, wearing a smile on his face.

Jim was at once put at ease. Simon was worried about him, nothing more than that. Jim took a sip of the coffee and said, "This is really a good blend. Where did you get it?"

"From your partner, Jim. Now talk to me. Blair has been unusually quiet lately and everyone has been asking about it. You haven't had poker night in over two months. Now spill."

"Well, Blair and I were going to tell you together, but I guess this is as good a time as any to talk to you about it. We sold the loft about seven weeks ago and bought a four bedroom house with an office for Blair. We decided to do this because Blair and I wanted to become foster parents. We got everything filled out and they checked us out and inspected our new home and it came back good. We're officially in the foster child system. We haven't gotten any calls yet, but we're still hoping for that perfect child to come along. And I don't mean I want the child to be perfect, but I would like the fit to be perfect. I want either him or her to like us for who we are and not judge us on being gay or not. So, this is what we've been up to, Simon."

"Why did you keep it a secret?" Simon wondered.

Jim thought a moment before he answered. "Really, I think we were afraid that we would jinx it or it wouldn't happen and we would be embarrassed. But Blair told me he wanted to talk to you today when he came to the station from the university. I think he'll be glad I spilled the beans. It's been hard on us, keeping this all to ourselves."

Simon put his unlit cigar into his mouth and chewed a few times. "Are you going to tell everyone today? They have all asked me if something was wrong. They like both of you and it's good to have friends around at a time like this."

Jim's cell phone went off and he said, "Excuse me, Simon." He walked out of Simon's office and asked, "Ellison, may I help you?"

"Jim, this is Rebecca Wood from Child Services. We have a girl who is thirteen years old that was attacked at her group home last night. These four older boys tried to rape her. Thankfully, the caretaker walked in on them holding her down and with their hands over her mouth. She's at the hospital now. I wondered if you and Blair would like to meet me there and see if she would be a good fit for the start of your family. She's small for her age and has long curly blond hair with blue eyes. She's such a lovely little girl, but no one wants a thirteen year old. But you and Blair said you would take a child of any age. The hospital is going to keep her for two days for observation. She was traumatized and needs some extra therapy while she's there. Now, I'm done babbling, so what do you think?"

By this time, Jim was in Interrogation room one and said, "I think it would be a bad thing. Four young men attacked her and you want her to live with two men? She might not be too happy about that situation."

"Jim, I told her about you and Blair and she asked if she went with you, would that save her from going back to this house again. And I told her yes and she said she wanted to meet both of you," Rebecca explained.

"Blair should be here in about ten minutes. Why don't I call you and let you know what he has to say? And in the meantime, you really should have those boys arrested." Jim was such a cop, especially when it came to something like this.

"They have been arrested. I'm going to be up at the hospital with Monica until I hear from you. Talk to Blair and let me know what you think of the idea."

Jim sat with his head in his hands while sitting at the desk in the room. What have we gotten into?

Jim heard Blair's heartbeat outside of the door and said, "Come on in, Chief."

Blair looked relieved when he walked into the room. "You look troubled, what's wrong? How can I help?" Blair was always first at trying to help Jim or anyone else. This made Jim, smile.

Jim explained to him about the little girl named Monica and asked, "What should we do?"

"We're signed up for troubled children as well as not troubled. I think we should go up to the hospital and talk to Monica and see what she thinks about it."

"Blair, she wants to go with us, because one, we're gay and won't go after her and two, she won't have to go back to the house that will haunt her to her dying day."

"All the more reason to give her a chance, Jim. Now, go in and tell Simon about it and we'll go take care of family business. With any luck, in two days we'll have a daughter to help mold and get over this bad thing." Blair was smiling from one side of his face to the other.

Jim didn't think he'd ever seen Blair this happy. Maybe it would work. There was only one way to find out. He headed into Simon's office and told him what was going on. Simon said, "Go and good luck."

"Thank you, Simon. I'll call you later tonight and let you know what happened."

Jim walked out of the office and grabbed his jacket and met Blair at the elevator. Megan Connor walked up to them and asked, "Where are you two off to?"

"We'll tell you all about it tomorrow. Something has come up and we need to take care of a few problems. See you tomorrow," Blair answered.

Megan looked troubled and said, "I hope it's nothing bad. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Jim smiled. "You could do all of my paperwork on my desk while we're gone."

"Gee, thanks, Jimbo. I'll see how much I can get done before the end of my shift. See you tomorrow."

The elevator opened and the men stepped into it and both felt like they were entering the Twilight Zone.

They got into Jim's truck in the parking garage, both men smiling and Jim backed up. "Are we sure about this, Blair?"

"I'm sure. Aren't you? I thought you wanted to help a child that needed help. Not one that is perfectly happy already. We don't need that sort of child, Jim."

"In that case, I think we're making the right decision. Monica is a nice name, isn't it?" Jim asked.

Blair seemed to get even happier and said, "Yes, it's a lovely name, for a really special child. We'll have to look into therapy for her. Did something happen to the boys that did this? Or I guess I should say almost did this?"

Jim pulled onto the freeway and seemed angry suddenly. "Yes, they arrested them, but they're probably getting nothing because it was attempted rape, not the actual rape. I think they deserve to be put away for at least four years. Who does this at a group home?"

Blair looked troubled now and asked, "What if this has happened to other kids there at the home? Could we take more than one child?"

"We'll talk to Rebecca when we get to the hospital. I hope Monica will be all right. I can't even imagine the fear that must have went through her. She's probably scared to death of men now," Jim guessed, but hoped he was wrong.

"Jim, don't get all dramatic. With proper therapy, she'll be just fine and a lot more cautious from now on. There is nothing wrong with that. The first spare room would be perfect for a young teenage girl, don't you think?"

"Yes, it would be a nice room. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I told Simon all about our news. He was very supportive," Jim said.

Blair smiled at his somewhat slow partner and asked, "How do you think I knew where you were? Simon watched you go into the interrogation room after your talk. Anyway, he did seem genuinely happy for us. I'm so glad. He said we need to have a poker night. That would be nice to introduce Monica to everyone from our jobs."

"Let's let her get used to us first, before we drop all of our mostly male friends in her life. We're going to have to be careful," Jim pointed out.

Blair was almost bouncing in his seat as they neared the hospital. "I'm so excited. I'm sorry she's here for this reason, but it might be a blessing in disguise."

Jim parked the car and just sat there and finally said, "Blair, promise me we won't take her because we feel sorry for her. That would be a lousy reason."

Blair touched Jim's face gently and stroked his thumb over Jim's lips. Jim wasn't ticklish except on his lips and Jim pulled back when Blair did that and Blair said, "I love you, you big lug."

"Blair, I love you too, but you didn't promise me."

"I promise we won't take her for any reason other than we're a good fit," Blair swore.

"Well, let's get this over with and we'll see what she has to say when we get up there."

The two men walked side by side to the main desk and Jim showed his badge to get the room number of Monica and Rebecca Wood. The person gave it to Jim without even glancing at Jim's badge or name. This angered Jim to no end. They walked to the elevator and took it up to room 410.

Outside of room 410 stood Rebecca Wood and she looked angry and nervous at the same time. "Oh thank God, you're here. There are two police officers in there and they wouldn't let me stay with her at all. She was scared to death to do the questioning and answering."

Jim said, "I'll be right back." Jim walked into the room and showed his badge and said, I'm Detective Jim Ellison; I need to know on what authority you're here and asking questions of a thirteen year old without her legal guardians."

"We're doing our fucking job, Ellison. This wasn't in your precinct, so get out," Detective Monroe said, hatefully.

"I can't get out you see, I'm one of her guardians. So, if you have questions to ask, ask me first and I'll let you know if it's something she can answer. Monica, are these men bothering you?" Jim asked.

"Yes, I didn't want to answer their questions and they were yelling at me," the thirteen year old said.

Jim glared at them and said, "Come back in about two hours. That will give us enough time to talk to Monica alone."

As they left the room Monroe said, "Where there is one, there is always the other one. Get out of my way, Sandburg."

"I'm not in your fucking way. I'm writing you up as soon as we're done here, Monroe. You think you're so tough, but IA isn't going to think you are at all," Blair threatened.

The two officers walked down the hall and Monroe flipped Blair the bird as he walked.

Blair looked at Rebecca and said, "So mature. Now I suggest we go into the room and talk with Monica. It sure didn't take Jim long to clear out that room."

Rebecca and Blair walked in and Monica was holding Jim's hand and crying. Blair rushed over to her side and said, "Monica, I'm Blair Sandburg and I need to know what those officers did to make you cry."

"They were asking all sorts of questions and when I couldn't answer them, they would yell at me. They said that because of me, four boys would have to suffer for the rest of their lives. They told me that I needed to drop the charges and get over it, " Monica said, sobbing her little heart out.

"Oh sweetie, this is never going to happen again. They're not going to be able to ask you anything unless we're in the room. You're safe now. Do you trust us enough to believe that?" Blair asked, hoping to see a smile on that face for a change.

He didn't have long to wait. She smiled and said, "I like you and Jim very much. I would like you to be my foster parents. Do I have to go to the same school as those boys? Because they will bother me, I can tell you that much."

Jim decided that they needed to talk some more before they decided anything. "You would go to the school near us, which is probably not the same one. If it is, you'll go to private school. I want you to ask us some questions about ourselves and we can get to know each other. You don't want to go home with perfect strangers do you?"

"Normally I would say no, but today I saw the way you handled those mean cops and knew that you were here to rescue me. I knew it. I don't need to know anymore than what I feel," Monica said.

Blair said, "I'm a teacher at Rainier University and I have flexible hours, so I can be there for you more than Jim could be. Being a cop isn't all it's cracked up to be sometimes. But I also work with Jim sometimes and we might be late from time to time. How do you feel about being in the house alone until we get home?"

"We'll make it work. I have no where else to go. I like both of you and Rebecca told me how nice you were. I trust Rebecca more than anyone else. So, if she said that about you two, then it has to be true. I trust you already," Monica said.

"We have a four bedroom house, because we planned on getting two children to foster. How do you feel about that?" Jim asked.

"I would love to have a family. It would be nice. Mine has been gone for so long that I don't remember them at all. There is a boy at the group home that I left that is so miserable. I think he's gay and he is teased day and night by the other kids in the house. They lock him in the closet every day after school and only let him out when it's time to eat. He's younger than I am and so sad. I would like you to get him out of there."

Jim looked at Rebecca and asked, "Could you check this out for us? We have plenty of room for two children. Wait a minute, how old is he?"

Monica said, "Jack is ten. He's so sweet and so fun, but they have ruined him."

"He isn't ruined, Monica. He just needs to get out of there. Rebecca will check into it and see how we can help," Blair assured her.

"What is your last name, Monica and Jacks too?" Jim asked.

"Mine is Benson and Jack's is Davis. He's really a nice boy, but needs some help just like me," Monica said, sounding so grown up.

Blair took Monica's hand into his much larger one and asked, "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"I'll talk to the police as long as you guys are with me. That's the only way I'm going to talk. They scare me and you guys don't," Monica answered simply.

Blair smiled at her and so did Jim. Both men felt an instant pull with this little girl. And she was little. She was very small for thirteen with beautiful skin, blond curly hair flowing down past her shoulders and bright blue eyes.

"Do you think I could get my hair cut?" Monica asked Blair.

Blair looked at her strangely and asked, "Did they say something about your hair?"

"They told me that boys would love to run their fingers through my hair and then they had something to hold on to while they did bad things to me. I don't even want that to happen again. I would like short hair."

Jim walked over towards her and whispered, "You have us to protect you now, Monica. There is no need to cut your beautiful hair. I want you to stay just the way you are. Promise me that you'll think about it. Have you started seeing a therapist yet? They talked about having you see one."

"I saw a doctor this morning, but he was odd. I didn't like him. I didn't like the way he looked at me at all. I would much rather see a woman doctor. Would that be all right?" Monica asked.

Blair smiled and said, "I have a friend who works with rape survivors. She's great, Monica and would love to have you as her patient."

"I wasn't actually raped. The house mother got there in time. So, I was just scared to death," Monica said.

"You are still a survivor, Monica. Blair will find the doctor for you and you can start seeing her right away. But you don't have to see the cops until we're with you. Always remember that we're here for you. Okay?" Jim asked.

Rebecca turned to Jim and Blair and said, "I'm going to go and check out Jack Davis and get back with you. The doctor that examined Monica today said that as soon as she has a new therapist she can leave the hospital. Blair, maybe you could set it up and she could go home with you today."

Blair pulled his cell phone out and called Maddie Spenser and asked, "Do you have any openings for a thirteen year old girl who was almost raped? We need to find a therapist right away and then she'll get to go home with us."

"Bring her in tomorrow morning at 9:00. Don't be late. You know how I hate people that don't keep appointments."

"See you tomorrow, Maddie. Thank you," Blair said as he closed the call. "You're all set for therapy for tomorrow. She's wonderful. Her name is Maddie Spenser and she's a wonderful doctor. You're going to love her," Blair assured her.

"Well, I'm going to go over to the group home and see about getting you the rest of your family. Are you certain you won't mind a child that's gay?" Rebecca asked.

"I can't believe you even asked us, Rebecca. Bring him as soon as you get things settled. Thank you for looking out for Monica and for us," Jim said.

TBC…