Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Dragon Verse Ancient Times , Part 1 of Dragon Verse
Stats:
Published:
2013-10-04
Words:
521
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
14
Hits:
725

Myth From Truth

Summary:

My own version of the 'dragons are among us' idea. Credit for original idea goes to TiffanyF for her Dragon Chronicles, which can be found here at AO3.

Note, this is only the prologue of the series.

Work Text:

Myth from Truth
calikocat
Word count: 494

XXX

My name is Lara. At least that's the name I'm using in this lifetime. I don't actually remember the name my parents gave me; it was so long ago, my birth. More than a thousand years...I think. Maybe I'm getting senile? The years blend together and when I get tired I tend to hibernate the way my ancestors did. So I could be even older. It’s hard to tell.

Over the centuries I have taught many people, to help them prepare, in case my kind comes again. My kind? Dragons. The guardians and protectors of mankind, whether the humans remember us or not, it doesn’t even matter if they even believe that we exist. It’s hardwired into what is called DNA, we protect, and that's that. The people I have taught are dragon kindred and their human mates. The new generation. My generation.

Once many years ago, before my hatching, dragons were known to be real. Humans feared us, but only because they didn't understand us. They likened us to creatures of a darker cloth. The Chimeras. They didn't differentiate, if one was evil, the other must be as well. Our kind was hunted, and our numbers dwindled, until there was only one thing left to do. Hide.

So the ancestors called upon the most powerful witches and mages, magicians of great standing, as they were our only allies. Together with their magic, and the magic of Dragonkind, a new generation was born. By altering their blood the next generation of dragons would be born in human form. So my ancestors changed their blood, mated, and then the females laid their eggs. When the eggs hatched all the hatchlings were male, except for me. No one expected any of the offspring to be female. It was theorized that a female in human form could not handle changing to dragon form...and that is true. I am not a true dragon but I am a carrier. My own descendants have been dragons or dragon kindred, their human mates. I myself have yet to find my mate and I don't believe that I will. For a dragon of the new generation to gain his true form he must change to protect his mate. I have had many lovers, men and women, and I have had many children but I never changed. I am defective and this form I possess, my human form, is the only form I have. I have the strength, speed, the ability to call upon fire and longevity. But I cannot change.

It’s not something I mind. I've been content to teach our histories so that the new generations can find their mates. And to help their mates be ready for the responsibility of keeping their dragons safe, to help guide them to their true potential. To help them achieve their destinies. Because someday our kind will be called on to protect human kind once more as we did in ancient times; the times humans have forgotten about.

I am Lara, Keeper of the Dragon Tales...no pun intended...honest.

XXX

Series this work belongs to: