Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,918
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
737

Third Person

Summary:

Sam's perspective as she shows a new General around.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Third Person
by Dangermouse

"Major Carter. Samantha. It's a pleasure to see you again. Tell me, how's your father? I hear he had a remarkable recovery."

I look up at the General that's just entered the room and smile at him. General Desmond - 'Uncle Billy' to me as a child.

"General. It's good to see you, Sir. Dad's fine, thank you. He's acting as a liaison for this facility now. I take it you've been briefed as to our purpose?"

"I have. It's an unbelievable thing, isn't it? You really travel to other planets?"

"Oh yes, Sir, usually once a week. My team are a first contact team, so we tend to end up in the infirmary more than some of the others. Which is why I'm here to meet you and not Colonel O'Neill in General Hammond's place. It's a pity that he isn't here for you."

"Do you like the General, Sam?" Typical Uncle Billy that - he was always interested in how I liked things, how good things were going at school and so on. He's a lovely, warm and friendly man.

"Keep it to yourself," I joke, "but we all absolutely love him to pieces. He's a good man, General. He's firm but fair. There isn't anyone here that wouldn't walk barefoot over broken glass for him. The Colonel and Doctor Jackson especially."

"Why them especially?"

"Oh, well, lots of reasons. The General is patient with Colonel O'Neill, I guess because the Colonel's er, how can I put this tactfully? Unconventional?"

The General's laughing at that.

"Sam, I know of O'Neill's reputation. He does get things done though, doesn't he?"

"That he does, Sir."

"Are you happy to follow him?"

Am I happy to follow him? There was a time when I flirted with the idea that I'd follow him up the aisle. Not now, of course. Especially not now.

"I've never had a better CO. I trust him implicitly with all our lives."

"A high recommendation. And Dr Jackson? What do you think of him?"

"Daniel is closer to me than Mark."

That brings him up sharp. I came so close to losing Daniel's love and affection, until I realised that I was pushing him away. When we nearly lost him - yet again - to the light addiction I determined that I couldn't bear that thought. I knew then as I know now that I loved him beyond reason. Not as a lover would, but as part of me, part of my soul. I also realised that no matter how much I thought I loved the Colonel (I can't even think of him as 'Jack'), I loved Daniel more. And I couldn't bring myself to hurt him any more.

"Daniel is special, Sir, he's not like other people. Pushing his genius to one side, you won't find a better man anywhere in the galaxy."

"You sound like you're in love with him, Sam." He speaks gently and smiles at me as he says this.

"No, Sir, I'm not. He's a part of me, closer than blood. I can't explain it - he's just Daniel. Ask anyone around here. Even the Marines adore him."

That gets a giggle from him. I guess he can't picture the Marines adoring anyone. But they do, these days they treat him with the utmost respect. It wasn't always that way, but he has a habit of getting under your skin. He's got under the Colonel's skin, that's for sure.

"You haven't told me why Dr Jackson is so fond of George."

"Oh, I suppose it's because he's like a father figure to him. Daniel managed to get a lot of support from him for the scientific exploration. As a result he's pretty devoted to him. He doesn't get such an even handed hearing from others in the military."

Apart from 'Darling Jack' of course - but I'd never tell anyone that. I'm not supposed to know about them, but I do. I guess they didn't want to put me in the position where I'd have to report the Colonel. It can't be easy for them. I know them so well that I'm sure they want to tell me. But because of the stupid rules they can't. I saw them together once, in the Colonel's back yard. I'd popped over there with Teal'c. We were going to have a team night. They were out the back garden when we knocked on the door. No answer was forthcoming so Teal'c gave me a leg up to look over the fence to see if they were there.

They were.

Oh boy, were they.

Kissing.

And more.

Daniel was leaning up against the shed, his legs wrapped around Jack's waist. Judging by the movements and the look on Daniel's face as he pulled back from the kiss I'd say they were well and truly at it. I dropped down as quickly as I could and told Teal'c that we should wait for a few minutes and knock again.

Both of them were looking a touch rumpled around the edges when the Colonel opened the door later. Blushing a little too. And they had definitely been having some sort of sex because I could smell it on them - even over the extra strong Cologne that the Colonel had on.

I'm leading the General to the infirmary so that he can meet up with the legendary pair. Teal'c's in there too, but as a visitor, thank goodness. Any small doubts I had about their position on the same team were blown away - quite literally on the last mission. They both realised that something was wrong at the same time - and before Teal'c or I did. But instead of trying to save each other, which you would expect of lovers, they saved us. They ended up getting trapped under a rock fall while we got away scot free. Daniel pushed me, the Colonel pushed Teal'c. They were closer to each other at the time so it wasn't a 'convenient' save either. No, they're still both devoted to the two of us. That sort of loyalty deserves ours in return. And they're gonna get it. Whether they want it or not. They've had to put up with it for a long time anyway.

"Jaaack, will you please cut that out. It's annoying the hell out of me." I can hear Daniel's voice while we're still in the corridor.

"Samantha? What's going on?"

"Oh, that's just Daniel, Sir. Undoubtedly the Colonel is winding him up again. It's one of his favourite pastimes."

"I was led to believe that they were close friends....." he sounds very confused.

"Oh yes, Sir, none closer. Don't try to come between them. Even Teal'c and I wouldn't try that. No, the Colonel loves to wind Daniel up because he thinks it's funny. Don't feel sorry for Daniel, he gets his own back."

"DANIEL! How many times have I told you to not do that?"

"See what I mean, Sir?"

We enter the infirmary and see the guys. The Colonel would stand up and salute, but he has a leg in plaster and raised up. Daniel would undoubtedly shake his hand but he can't stand easily because of his broken ankle and can't shake because his right arm's in plaster too. What a mess.

"Colonel, Teal'c, Daniel, this is General Desmond."

"General, good to meet you, Sir. I apologise for not being properly attired, etc., etc." the Colonel replies. Daniel snorts.

"General, pleased to meet you," he adds, his blue eyes twinkling. He can't wear his glasses at the moment because he's got a huge cut over the bridge of his nose, poor lamb.

"General Desmond. General Hammond speaks well of you. I am honoured to meet you." Teal'c, however is in fine form and I think that the General is impressed. Can't blame him - even after all these years of knowing him I still get impressed by Teal'c. The nurses love him to tiny little pieces too.

"Gentlemen, I am happy to be here. I'm sorry I was sent here while George is away and that I didn't get a chance to meet up with him, but I'm sure I won't mess things up too much. I've heard what happened before, I can assure you that I'm going to leave things as they are. Why mess with success, eh?"

Oh yes, I should have said, Uncle Billy is a teddy bear - a lot like Hammond. In fact, if the General retired, Uncle Billy would be a perfect substitute. Not the same, but as good in his own right. Don't think he's a pushover and mess with him though, he's got a bite. Where do you think I learned to do that?

"That doesn't mean you can misbehave, Jack," Daniel warns.

"Me? I never misbehave! It's a scurrilous lie. He's the one you have to watch, General. Trouble."

"Jaack, I'm sweet," my sweet baby argues.

Sweet.

As if.

Don't get me wrong, I reeeeeally love my baby brother. But sweet? Oy. Ask the Marines. No matter how much they secretly (or not so secretly) adore him. When Daniel blows, half of Cheyenne takes cover. The other half goes up in the explosion. It's not pretty. And that's only if he gets instant instead of 'real' coffee. When he has a proper temper tantrum - oy vey!

It takes all my powers of self control not to laugh my ass off as they start to bicker. General Desmond says goodbye to them, chuckling all the while.

"Don't laugh, Sir, I've got to take them home after my shift," I complain as we walk back out.

"Home?"

"Yes Sir. They'll take care of each other. Half of Daniel's stuff resides at the Colonel's place as it is - basically because he's got too many books for his apartment. Also, one or other of them is often injured. Neither of them likes being in the infirmary, so they take care of each other. The Colonel's spare room is known as Daniel's. They've been friends for years, even if they do drive each other up the wall. Nobody else would want to take care of either of them. Somehow they muddle through."

"They really are close then," he adds. I'm guessing he's guessing. So to speak. Time to knock that on the head.

"Sir, Daniel has known the Colonel since just after the Colonel's son died. Daniel saved his life a couple of times on the first mission. They won't go into specifics, but I know that's what happened. When Daniel lost his wife, the Colonel helped him out - grief counselling I guess. They know each other well. Nobody knows either of them better. Daniel's got no one, Sir, no family and his old friends are either long gone or dead. He relies on the Colonel to keep him sane. It's a strange relationship but it works for them. Not to mention that the fact that they're so simpatico has saved Earth a couple of times. You'd be dead if they weren't so close. I'd have been dead on a number of occasions. They're very different from each other, but you won't find closer friends. General, I know SG-1 has a rep for being too close for its own good, but for once those rules don't apply. If we weren't close, we'd all be dead. The planet would be either destroyed or ruled by Goa'uld. Breaking SG-1 up under any circumstances would be disastrous."

"Sam, I have no intention of doing that, I promise. I meant what I said. I'm keeping the status quo."

Phew.

I never thought I'd get these two home. I wanted to stop the car a couple of times to tell them to walk. If Teal'c hadn't intervened.......

The Colonel has been installed in his bedroom, Daniel in the spare across the hall. I wonder how long they'll stay like that?

We've made them some food and helped them settle for the night. Teal'c's coming with me. Even my brave warrior isn't brave enough to withstand these two on his own. We left the bedroom doors open so that they can yell at each other. We'll come back in the morning and help them out before we head off to do our shifts.

I hate mornings. You'd have thought that after all these years of military rises I'd have at least grown to accept them. No. Too many years as a student ruined me. Still - a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. I've got a key to the Colonel's place (we all swapped keys after Daniel was peeved when Jack broke his door down once), so in we go. There's no noise from upstairs, so I set to, making the coffee. Teal'c's making some toast, so I'll pop up and wake them. I'm taking coffee with. No way am I facing Daniel without one.

"Good morning Colonel," I call as I kick open his door. Hang on, wasn't that open last night?

Oh dear. Um. Perhaps I should have shouted from downstairs.

"Morning, Carter," he moans.

"Yeah, uh, hi Sam."

My baby's blushing. And my Colonel is. They weren't discussing the price of bread when I came in, I can tell you. I'm just glad they had a sheet over them. Whoo. If I ever got kissed like that I'd never get out of bed!

"Coffee?" I offer.

"Thanks," they reply together.

"Carter?"

"Sir?"

"Could you, er....."

"Go back down?"

"That would be great. Thank you."

"No problem, Sir, I'll just go and join Teal'c. He's making some toast for you."

I hear Daniel making some comment about them both being toast as I shut the door behind me. Tee hee - I can talk to Teal'c about them now!

"Teal'c, we were right. They were in bed together. Can't keep them apart, not even when they are in plaster. What are we going to do?"

"We will not say anything to the military," he says carefully. Teal'c and I are of the same opinion - they're meant for each other. We've been talking about them behind their backs for the last - oooh, six months?

"No, no, no, of course not. But do we tell them that just yet, or do we make them sweat for a bit?"

"Under normal circumstances I'd be inclined to do that," he replies with a smirk, "but as they saved us the other day, I don't think it would be fair. The toast is ready. I should take it up to them."

I hang around for a bit before I get the call I've been waiting for. Daniel's still in bed with Jack, but at least they've got some clothes on now. For those not in the know, I'm the luckiest woman on the planet. I get to work with these guys - and shower with them sometimes when we're too tired to go on. Three gorgeous guys and they all love me dearly. Not like that, of course, but I couldn't have three more devoted men in my life if I was as rich as sin. Trouble is, none of them want to sin with me. My baby cuddles me sometimes and I loooooove it when he does that.

"So, er Carter," the Colonel starts.

Aw, he's wriggling about, looking so uncomfortable. Don't know what's got into me, I'm feeling generous.

"Yes Sir?"

"Are you going to say anything? Do you want me to retire?"

"Colonel, er, Jack," I want him to know we're off duty and that I've left 'Major Carter' behind at the mountain, "you guys saved our lives a couple of days ago. I don't exactly see a conflict of interests here. Come on, how long have we known each other?"

"Thanks, Sam, you're a pal," he grins back at me.

"Besides, I've known for ages. Didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now."

Ha ha! Open mouths, open eyes - I've got them. Didn't say I was being completely generous, did I?

"How long?" Daniel asks carefully.

"Oh, about six months," I reply, "the team night here. You two were in the back garden."

I'm not saying any more. I don't have to. They're both bright red. This is FUN!

Daniel's groaning and burying his head in Jack's chest. Aw, that's so sweet. The Colonel's arm has wrapped itself around him and he's hugging him close.

"So, you two, you're really okay about this?" Daniel's so unsure of himself.

"Daniel, we're fine. Honest. Just be happy, guys, be careful too. You're not obvious at the base or anything, though you have to know there are rumours about you."

"Sure, there have been rumours about us for years, Sam, none of them true - at least till about seven months ago."

"So, how did you two finally get your act together?"

Jack's blushing and Daniel laughs.

"I, er, ambushed him," Daniel replies. "And no, I'm not going into details."

Wow! My baby brother did it! I'm so proud. I give them both a kiss on the cheek and promise that I'll watch their backs for them. Teal'c and I leave them, telling them that we'll meet up later and they can tell us some more. But for now, I have to get back to work. I've got a General to supervise! I turn and look back at them as I get to the door. They're kissing again, but this time they're both smiling. Their eyes are open and even from the doorway I can see both sets twinkling.

Sweet.

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author dangermouse.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.