Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,267
Chapters:
1/1
Hits:
386

Untitled #3

Summary:

Missing scene DNA:MS

Work Text:

Untitled #3
by Karolyn Gray

Zhaan and D'argo exchanged a brief, concerned glance as the shuttle pod hovered into the hanger. Crichton's sudden departure after shattering the bogus data crystal had left them stunned as their anger at Crichton clashed with the harsh reality of what the device would have done to Moya.

A half arn ago Crichton had sent a transmission indicating he and Aeryn would be returning to Moya but gave no indication as to why they had returned to Namtar's research facility in the first place.

Pilot, in a moment of stubbornness, had refused to tell them why Crichton had gone back to the asteroid other than to say that the human had gone to find Officer Sun and Namtar. His answers regarding Cornata's presence with Crichton were equally unsatisfying. Despite this, no one had pushed Pilot for more information.

Both aliens winced slightly as the pod landed roughly. A moment later the shuttle's hatch swung open to reveal an obviously shaken Crichton assisting a very pale Aeryn Sun from the pod.

Zhaan rushed over to help only to pull up short by the cool blue gaze Crichton shot her way. "What happened?"

John and Aeryn exchanged a brief look before the human sighed. He and Aeryn stepped down from the pod carefully before he answered. "We had some business to finish with Namtar." Was all he would say as he escorted Aeryn past the Delvian priestess.

"Pilot?" John called out, ignoring the fact that Zhaan and D'argo were watching him with puzzlement.

Instantly Pilot's voice echoed in the chamber. "Yes, Commander Crichton."

"I'm taking Aeryn down to the maintenance bay. Could you get the scanner ready? I want to make sure Cornata's serum worked."

"Already on it."

"Thanks, Pilot."

At that moment, Rygel hovered into the room, harumphing in irritation as he saw the pair. "So there you two are. What the frell were you two doing? Getting inebriated while we're all wondering where you are, I'll wager. We should have just left you both behind."

John started towards the Hynerian royal but stopped as Aeryn staggered slightly, grabbing his arm to steady herself. His concern for her dissipated his anger towards the small alien, he turned back to the sebacean woman. "You OK?"

She swallowed hard, her eyes closed for a moment as a wave of nausea passed. "Yes, I'm just tired." Aeryn replied softly, only the barest trace of her usual confidence in her voice.

Rygel sniffed arrogantly. "I can't believe you too decided to get drunk when we've lost our way to get home. Especially since it is your ..."

"Rygel, just shut the hell up!" John snapped, for a moment actually silencing the small Hynerian with the anger in his tone.

"How dare you..."

"Your eminence. Perhaps now is not the time to discuss this." Zhaan interjected, diverting the Hynerian's attention with her mollifying tone. "We all have questions that need to be addressed, but now is not the proper time or place. Perhaps tomorrow morning in command would be more appropriate."

Rygel looked over the human and sebacean carefully, noticing for the first time that Aeryn looked ill. Sitting up straighter he nodded. "Never let it be said that I am not an unreasonable being. We shall discuss this tomorrow." With that the Hynerian hovered from the room.

John merely shook his head and helped Aeryn the rest of the way to the maintenance bay. He was aware D'argo and Zhaan ghosting them the entire time but chose to focus on Aeryn's current condition. While much improved from even an hour ago, the ease in which she allowed him to help her onto the table and to lay her down without even the slightest protest was a clear indication of how poor she still felt.

As John ran the scanner up and down Aeryn's body, Zhaan quickly hurried over to the readouts feeling the need to help the obviously ill sebacean woman. She gasped at what she saw. Turning a shocked gaze she saw Crichton flick his eyes up to hers briefly and just as quickly look away.

The emotion she saw in the all too brief look was enough to spur her query. "What happened to her?"

John refused to meet her gaze as he steadied the slight tremble of the scanner. Zhaan noticed his grip was so tight on the device that his knuckles were turning white. His tension was enough of an answer for her.

"You went to see Namtar." D'argo stated, visibly startling the human, but again John remained silent.

Seeing the human was going to remain silent in this, Zhaan turned her attention to Aeryn. "Why did you go see Namtar?" She asked gently, having her own suspicions on the matter.

Aeryn look startled at the question. She looked to John, holding his gaze for a long moment before closing her eyes tiredly.

"Aeryn offered to help narrow down Namtar's search for my homeworld. She figured eliminating the Sebacean DNA from the list might help Namtar give me a general location to search for Earth." John offered suddenly. Zhaan could tell he was lying, but remained silent. "Instead, Namtar injected some of Pilot's DNA into her hoping to eventually graft his multi-tasking capability
to himself."

D'argo growled in obvious disgust and anger. "Enough of this madness. I shall deal with Namtar myself."

"He's already been dealt with." John said, his words stopping the large Luxan from continuing towards the chamber's exit.

"Namtar's dead?" D'argo asked, eyeing the human speculatively.

"Not technically."John replied slowly, setting the scanner aside and picking up towel. Seeing the look both the Delvian and Luxan gave him he shrugged.

"Cornata developed a serum to regress him back to his natural state. Let's just say it cut him down to size." A small grin crossed his face inspite of himself. Dabbing the perspiration of Aeryn's forehead he noted the ever so slight curl of her lip indicating she had been amused by his words.

"How's the readings?" John asked gesturing to the scanner's readout.

Zhaan looked the readings over carefully before nodding in approval. "It appears the foreign DNA has all but been eliminated."

"Good. We'll check again tomorrow to be sure."

"Are we done here?" Aeryn asked suddenly, sitting up. "I'd really like to get some rest."

"Need any help?" John asked, earning a quizzical look from all three. Realizing how his words could be interpreted he flushed in embarrassment. "Um, walking to your quarters, I mean."

A small twitch barely concealed her amused look at his sudden embarrassment, but her eyes gave it away. As quickly as it came it was gone replaced by a considering look. "No, but I wouldn't mind the company." She finally replied, steadying herself as she regained her footing.

John slowly nodded. "OK."

"John, you should get some rest yourself." Zhaan added.

"Naw. I'm fine." John protested, waving his hand nonchalantly.

"You do seem fatigued. Zhaan is correct. You should rest as well." D'argo added, surprising John with the note of concern he heard there.

Raising his hands in surrender, John smiled sheepishly to himself. "OK, OK. I'll try to get a few arns rest."

"Hours." Aeryn mumbled as she headed towards the exit.

"What?" John asked as he followed her out.

Zhaan and D'argo watched as in bemusement as a light, almost teasing, debate arose between the human and sebacean over his growing use of non-human phrases.

"He was lying to us, you know. He was protecting her." D'argo said, sounding rather surprised at the very notion.

"Yes, he was." Zhaan replied. "When they are ready to tell us the truth, they will."

 

end