Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Mettlesome
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
521
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,071

Mettlesome Pt. Two - a follow up

Summary:

after a bad day it only takes a bit of humor to set folks right again

Work Text:

Mettlesome pt.2 – a follow up.

Seeing Kid laying out his cleaning supplies, Heyes grinned and setting his book down went out the front door of the cabin.

Kid un-holstered his Colt watching him go with icy eyes and an expression that would curdle milk, thinking, ‘leastways he's leaving me alone.'

Strolling down the steps and across the bridge, Heyes walked up to Monahan reclined against a pine tree smoking a quirley. "You told everyone else?"

"Yup, got the word around soon as you asked me too." Monahan replied and tilting his head back, he puffed a series of smoke rings.

Heyes smiled, "Think that might be the only reason I would ever take up smoking."

Monahan tilted his head looking up at his leader, "Really?"

"Crazy, huh?"

Monahan shrugged and taking another puff released a ring and as it expanded, he shot a second one through it. "Maybe not."

Heyes laughed, "Go ahead and signal Kyle."

With a nod, Monahan pulled out a small mirror and catching the light, he flashed toward the pond above the upper falls until they saw a responding flash.

"Shouldn't be long now." Heyes said dropping down cross-legged next to Monahan, propping himself to have a clear view of his cabin.

KA-BLAM!!!!!!

"Lordy but I can see that water spray from here." Monahan said.

"Uh Huh." Heyes grunted not letting his attention stray from the cabin door and as he expected Kid Curry exploded out onto the porch. Seeing him do so, Heyes began to laugh.
"What the hell was that?!" Kid exclaimed while desperately trying to fit his gun back together on the run.

"Perfect timing." Heyes laughed again.

Hearing him, the Kid froze one boot on the footbridge, "What?"

Unfolding himself from the ground as a second KA-BLAM!!!! followed by an audible "Whoo Weee!!!!!!" floated down to from the upper pond, Heyes said again, "Yup perfect timing."

Kid frowned slightly.

"As you know Kyle, didn't get to use any dynamite on the robbery. . . I had the safe open to quick to need it. Well, this has been the fourth heist in a row he ain't been able to blow anything up. So when I saw how plain downhearted he was, I told him he could use two sticks to go fishing. Imagine we will have quite a fish fry tonight."

The Kid turned his eyes to the upper lake and thinking of dinner a smile crept onto his face.

Seeing it, Heyes elbowed Monahan now standing next to him, "And there is the second part of the perfect timing."

Kid quirked a questioning eye back at his cousin.

"Managed to knock both of you out of despondent funk at once."

Kid Curry tried to glare at him but gave up and started laughing, "Yeah, yeah you did." He looked at the partially put together Colt in his hands. "It sounded like a cannon going off. . .thought maybe they had finally sent the military after us."

"Boy that would a thing to see wouldn't it." Heyes laughed, "Come on, let's go help Kyle bring down dinner.

Series this work belongs to: