Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
671
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
1
Hits:
473

Push

Summary:

Blair overhears Jim singing and is moved by it. 

Work Text:

Push

By Patt Darrow

Summary: Blair overhears Jim singing a song and it moves him. 

Challenge #479: Favorite Song

Warnings: None

Genre: Gen

Word Count: 646

Notes: Since the first time I heard this song, it reminded me of a Jim and Blair song.  It’s so Blair.  And it makes sense that Jim is singing it. 

     

Push

By Patt Darrow

  

Blair woke up at 6:00 a.m. that morning because he heard Jim already putting together something for breakfast.  Jim was not a quiet person in the morning. Especially, in the kitchen.  Sighing, Blair rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.  But then he realized what he was now hearing was Jim singing. 

  You push me

To go the extra mile

You push me

When it's difficult to smile

You push me

A better version of myself

You push me

Only you and no one else

 

You push me

To see the other point of view

You push me

When there's nothing else to do

You push me

When I think I know it all

You push me

When I stumble and I fall

 

Keep on pushing like nobody

 

Blair was sitting up by this time, hearing the words of the song were making him almost tear up.  He didn’t realize Jim felt this way about what Blair did for him.  But then again, it could be Jim just liked the song. 

  Every race I win

Every mood I'm in

Everthing I do

I owe it all to you

Every move I make

Every step I take

Everything I do

It's all because you push me

 

You push me

When I don't appreciate

You push me

Not to lie and not to hate

You push me

When I want it all to end

You push me

When I really need a friend

 

You push me

All I wanna do is cry

You push me

When it's hard for me to try

You push me

When I do it for myself

You push me

Only you and no one else

 

Keep on pushing like nobody

 

Blair realized this was a good song for the two of them.  Blair did indeed push Jim and Jim had finally started to accept the pushing.  Yes, this was a perfect song for them. 

 

To go the extra mile

When it's difficult to smile

A better version of myself

Only you and only you and only you

To see the other point of view

When there's nothing else to do

When I think I know it all

Only you and only you and only you

 

You push me

Keep on pushing like nobody

 

Blair got up and walked into the bathroom to relieve himself.  He didn’t think it would look good to wet his pants first thing in the morning.  Blair smiled at the joke he had just made and wondered if Jim would laugh too.  He washed up and walked out of the bathroom. 

 

When he walked into the kitchen, Jim turned and smiled at him, with that funny little smile he used when he was just happy as hell to be alive.  Blair walked up to him and hugged him hard around the waist. 

 

“Hey Chief, what’s going on?”

 

“I heard the song you were singing and I was very moved by it.”

 

“It should be called the Jim and Blair song,” Jim joked. 

 

Blair was still hugging Jim.  He finally moved away and said, “I think it should be called that, too.”

 

“I’ve got pancakes and scrambled eggs made if you feel like breakfast,” Jim offered. 

 

Blair smiled at his good friend and said, “When have I ever turned down food, especially pancakes and eggs?”

 

“Good, sit down and I’ll get you a plate,” Jim said, as he filled a plate with pancakes and eggs, grabbing silverware as he walked towards the table. 

 

“You’re my very best friend, Jim.  I just wanted you to know that.”

 

“As you are mine, Blair.  Now eat up,” Jim answered. 

 

Another day had started at the Ellison-Sandburg home.  And as usual, it was a pretty good one. It was a very quiet breakfast, because both men were busy shoveling food into their mouths. 

 

The end