Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
947
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,185

NOT R&J AGAIN!?!

Summary:

see Prologue

Work Text:

PROLOGUE: On the Covington Cross list, everyone had just received their copies of all the eps. (Part was shown here, part in England, and all of them in Australia...but the movie was not available.) Finally, everyone knew what the last ep for that season (or half season) was. It looked like everyone's fav, Richard Grey, was going to marry Charlotte Wyatt. (Their fathers were mortal enemies.) No one wanted Richard to marry anyone (dream on), and esp. not Charlotte, who was called every nasty name in the fairly clean book (ahem...and a big meow!) Well, some say the show was based on Big Valley, but you could tell it was really Bonanza with a daughter thrown in., (Gil Grant just joined our list and he said it was Bonanza.) When Lorne Greene was on Johnny Carson in the middle of their long run, Johnny asked of there were any more stories left. Lorne said: "Sure! Why we've done Romeo and Juliet 6 times already!" So, I thought I would quiet the debate, by writing what would have been the opening show of the next season, as we all know it would appear.

 

 

+++++

 

 

Title: NOT R&J AGAIN!?!

 

Author: josh emmett

 

Email for feedback: twobluemirrors@yahoo.com

 

Fandom: Covington Cross

 

Pairing: none

 

Rating FRT (for violence)

 

Summary: see above and below

 

Warnings: a death

 

Note: basically, this would be more of a plotbunny than a story

 

Archive: Yes

 

Disclaimer: This is a fanfic based on people and places from the Covington Cross TV series. It is not intended to infringe on copyrights held by ABC Television, Gil Grant or any other holders of Covington Cross copyrights. There is no intention of making any money from copyrights held by anyone with this series. It was written for fun.

 

 

+++++

 

 

It's the new season...we have been left hanging...will Richard marry Charlotte or not?

 

 

+++++

 

 

Charlotte realizes that her past flirtations were just that, and she truly loves Richard. He truly loves her. The show opens and Sirs Grey and Wyatt are arguing with each other over (name something...how about the lumber contract from the previous season...does it matter?). Richard and Charlotte are still seeing each other. The argument escalates into a battle (doesn't matter which castle), arrows are flying, people are fighting, the outbuildings are on fire (we need smoke, right? Right.). Everyone in the Grey household is fighting, but Richard is running through the smoke from person to person trying to stop it. He wants to make peace (which we know isn't going to work, or we'd be bored to tears). We are now down the last 15 mins. of the show...

 

 

+++++

 

 

Unable to wait, Charlotte makes her way to the battlefield and sees Richard running through the smoke. He is carrying no weapon and is shouting. Charlotte calls to him and they run towards each other. Just as Charlotte reaches Richard's arms, she freezes and stares wide-eyed and open-mouthed into his face. She is a lead weight, which drags Richard to his knees, still holding her. From this point, he can see the arrow sticking out of her back. Everything goes into slow motion, and the sounds fade into the background. A voice calls out: "RRRRRRIIIIIICCCCCCHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRRRDDDDDD!!!!!!"

 

 

Richard looks down, and cradling Charlotte in his arms, buries his face in her hair. The arrow whizzes over him, but he doesn't hear it. Charlotte looks at him, and says "I love you, Richard...I always have...I didn't realize it until I saw you just now." Richard ignores Armus, who is running toward him, his cries of "Richard" still taking forever to get from the R to the d. "Charlotte, don't die! You can't die! I love you, too! (Critics claim he overacted, of course.) They kiss and her head falls away toward the battle. Richard screams: "CHARLOTTE!!!!!!" Tears streaming down his face, he sees not far from him, the man whose crossbow cut her down. The arrow was intended for him. He looks about frantically and spies a dropped sword. Jumping up and grabbing the sword at the same time, he runs at the man, but Armus has gotten there first. He grabs Richard and yells "NO!" His arms are around Richard from behind, holding Richard's arms at this side. He puts his head into Richard's long curly hair, and shaking his own head back and forth, saying: "No more blood, Richard, no more blood."

 

 

Sirs Grey and Wyatt, clashing swords, have heard the cry of "Charlotte" and turn to see her lying on the ground. The killer runs off into the woods and the two Knights run to Charlotte. Sir Wyatt drops to his knees and starts to pick his daughter up, but Richard pulls away from Armus, and falling to the ground, clutches Charlotte's head to his chest. "She's mine, and you killed her!!! You all killed her! Over what?" His shouting dies down to a murmur... "Over what...over what...over what...?" He sobs, rocking Charlotte in his arms.

 

 

+++++

 

 

Then, of course, Grey and Wyatt feel guilty (until the next show). Everyone is hanging their heads and shuffling their feet.

 

 

COMMERCIAL

 

 

Maybe, the show ends with a funeral, maybe not. Maybe, they just leave it like that, with everyone looking sad and/or guilty. Maybe, Sir Thomas bends down and puts his arm around Richard. Maybe the whole family does. (Pick your fav TV death scene ending...)

 

 

+++++

 

 

The next week opens with a good laugh between the brothers at the castle (probably at Eleanor's expense) and we never hear the name Charlotte again as long as the series runs...

 

 

+++++

 

 

Basically, TV is just that predictable...

 

 

THE END?

 

 

josh emmett

 

twobluemirrors@yahoo.com