Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,003
Chapters:
1/1
Hits:
503

Untitled #5

Summary:

D'argo and Aeryn come to an understanding shortly after Crichton's disappearance.

Work Text:

Untitled #5
byGray
kmgray3@...

The door slid open, barely a whisper of sound indicating his arrival. With only star light available he could barely see her kneeling form silhouetted in the darkened terrace. He paused, considering if he should simply leave the Sebacean female to her thoughts.

He could see no tension in her frame but knew better than to think her physical demeanor was any indication of her thoughts. She was, after all, a Peace Keeper. And Peace Keepers were not known for revealing to others their thoughts without need.

Shaking his head he turned to leave.

"Has Pilot finished compiling a search pattern?"

"No. He won't be finished for a twelve more arns." D'argo replied, watching the female rise to her full height and turn to face him with the hard Peace Keeper gaze he had come to know all too well. A look that was now flawed by a flicker of some nameless emotion passing through her eyes.

"Twelve." Aeryn murmured softly, as she turned back to the starfield.

"I should get back to command." D'argo said, deciding his search for the ex-Peace Keeper had been a bad idea.

"You didn't come here to tell me Pilot was still working on the search. I already asked him to inform me when he had completed his work." Aeryn said, turning once more to the Luxan. "Were you looking for me?"

"I heard you and Rygel had a disagreement a few arns after the meeting. He claims you attempted to kill him."

A smile flitted across the Sebecean's features, obviously pleased by the memory. As quickly as it had been there, it faded away. "I found him trying to break into Crichton's quarters. A pen'tak jab seemed more suitable than a pulse rifle blast at the time."

D'argo fond himself unexpectedly growling softly in approval, not really surprised at the Hynerian's thwarted attempt at thievery. "You're going soft, Peace Keeper." He chided her humorously.

"Not at all." She replied quickly. "John wouldn't have welcome having to clean his quarters from the mess that would have resulted. He'd complain for weakens about it."

D'argo smiled at the explanation provided, noting Aeryn's use of Crichton's first name. Something she had rarely done in the Luxan's presence and certainly never with the warmth he heard there now. For some reason he felt oddly pleased at that. Perhaps it was simply gaining the confirmation he had been seeking. Perhaps it was more than that.

"So why did you come looking for me? The truth this time." Aeryn asked intently watching the Luxan.

"I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me?"

"For supporting the search for Crichton." D'argo replied, noting the surprised look in the Sebecean's eyes. "I admit I wonder why you did?"

"He's a comrade. Childish at times perhaps but still a comrade never the less." Aeryn said in a clipped tone, quickly turning away from D'argo as if to hide something.

He heard the hurt and confusion in her tone and wondered at what caused it. Concern for Crichton?

"Yes. He can be stubborn and selfish and childish at times. Can't he?" Receiving a silent agreeing nod D'argo sighed. "But so can we."

"Do you think...."

"What?" D'argo asked concerned at the uncertain tone Aeryn used. Almost as if she were feeling guilty and afraid. He noted the slight shiver that passed through her body.

"Before he left he said he was sick of.... all of us." She crossed her arms, holding them tightly to herself. "I keep wondering if it was something I did or said to him to make him leave like that."

D'argo nodded slowly, more to himself than to acknowledge her words. "I have considered such thoughts myself."

"And what was your conclusion?" Aeryn asked after a moments pause.

"We are all at fault." The large Luxan replied slowly. "We ridiculed him. Mocked him for being a retro-tech primitive. Criticized him when he made an effort to learn our technology, our ways. Dismissed his ideas simply because his people are not as technologically advanced as our own. It is a wonder he even offers to help us when he can."

"He is Crichton." Aeryn replied absently. An moment later she realized what she had said and smiled to herself.

"Yes, he is." D'argo agreed.

Both turned their eyes to the starfield, each lost in their own thoughts. A companionable, understanding silence between them.

"I can be more."

"What?" D'argo asked.

"You wondered at why I supported the search." Aeryn replied, never moving her eyes from the darkness beyond terrace. "Because I can be more. John was right about that. I can be more than a Peace Keeper soldier. I *am* more than a soldier."

"But it cost you everything. Your commission. Your unit. Your home." D'argo noted.

Aeryn sighed in resignation. "I know."

"Is it worth it?" D'argo asked curiously.

"Ask me that again when we've found Crichton or we have ended our search for him. I may have an answer then." She replied.

"I just might." D'argo said, wondering at what the female was thinking. Her face was a blank, emotionless mask.

He wasn't unaware of Aeryn and John's obviously growing relationship and for the briefest of moments considered her words in that light before discarding the notion. She was a Peace Keeper first. She would never allow her personal feelings to override her training. Would she?

"Why are you so determined to find him?"

D'argo blinked, brought out of his reverie by the question. "He is my ally. I will not abandon him."

He saw the skeptical look cross her features for a moment and was actually grateful when she remained silent in apparent acceptance of his words. He wasn't certain he could explain the obligation he now felt for the human to her. He barely understood it himself.

"Strange."

"What?" D'argo asked, noting the consternation on Aeryn's face.

"I..." He watched her lower her head as if to cover the odd little smile on her face. "...I actually miss him."

D'argo nodded in understanding. "So do I."

 

end