Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2013-05-23
Words:
6,173
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,213

An Unusual Date

Summary:

It's Valentine's Day, and Sam is alone in her lab, working. That soon changes, and Martouf/Lantash arrive and ask her out on a 'date'. On another planet. Sam/Martouf/Lantash. Brief mention of Janet/Jacob/Selmak. Thanks to LtKatia for the idea!

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Season: Late third season

Chapter Text

Sam POV

I look up as I become aware of someone knocking on the door to my lab. "Yes, come in."

The door opens and Janet steps in. She's clearly dressed for some sort of event - a date, perhaps? But Janet doesn't go on dates. "Hi, Sam." She says.

"Wow, nice dress, Janet! What's going on?"

"It's Valentine's Day, or haven't you heard? I'm going on a date." Janet smiles a sort of silly and happy smile, that looks almost strange on her. "He even had some flowers delivered to me earlier today!"

I had forgotten, of course. Not that it matters - I don't have a date. How would I get one? I spend all my time on missions or in my lab - and the only people around are those I'm not allowed to date!

"That's great, Janet." Of course, I'm still a bit jealous, but I'm not going to tell her that. "So, who are you going out with?"

"Who do you think?" She looks mysterious. So, she wants me to guess. I can do that.

"Well..." Who could it be? Someone who sent her flowers? I don't think any of the men we know is romantic in the least. "Let's see...the Colonel is helping his ex-wife move - and he seemed happy to do that, so there may be some more there... So not him. Teal'c is an alien - and he's visiting his family since SG-1 is on stand-down. Daniel is still mourning Sha're...hm. Maybe that new doctor that started working for you last week?"

"Simons?" Janet giggled. "No, Sam! I mean, he's nice enough, but he's not my type!"

"You have a type?" I smile at her. "Well, out with it! Who's got you all happy and giggly? I think I definitely need to hear about your date when you're back!"

She looks at me with a twinkle in her eyes. "Jacob and Selmak."

"My dad?!" I stare at her, with open mouth. I do know he's visiting - some secret Tok'ra-Tau'ri thing he's talking to General Hammond about. I didn't know dad could be romantic, though - or that he would pursue Janet. "You're kidding, right?"

"No, not at all. We've been talking a little, and we ate lunch together yesterday, and then he asked me - and I said yes. He's somehow managed to get seats at a restaurant." Janet looks impressed.

I shake my head. "Okay..." This is weird. "I'm glad you're happy, and I hope you have a nice evening. Just...I most definitely don't want to hear about how your date goes!"

Janet laughs. "I can understand that. Okay, I better get going. I need to take Cassie to one of her friends - they're having a party and a sleep-over, which couldn't be at a better time!"

"A party and a sleep-over? Are there boys there too?" I frown. "She's only 14."

"She'll be 15 soon. Don't worry, Sam - I know the mother of the girl they're staying with, and I trust her. Don't be so old-fashioned. You're only 30." She smiles - she's clearly in a fantastic mood. How can my dad have that effect? She's clearly seeing a different side! Maybe it's Selmak's doing. She's much more mellow than dad.

"Okay, okay." I smile at her. "Have a great evening!"

"Thanks, I will - and Sam? You should get out a little. See people. As your doctor I would like to point out it's not healthy to spend all your time in a lab deep underground!"

"Yes, Janet." I roll my eyes a little. "Have fun!"

She shakes her head and leaves, and I go back to my experiment. I try to concentrate on it, but I can't stop myself from thinking about what Janet said. I admit to myself I wish I was going on a date. It's ridiculous. I pride myself on being above that romantic nonsense, and Valentine's Day is at the top of the list of things I find stupid, commercial, and not something I want to do.

Of course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't sometimes wish I had a special someone. It would be nice. Someone cute and sexy...that can understand the work I do...and who has clearance...and who I am allowed to date... Those things are pretty much mutually exclusive. I sigh and attempt to return to my work. A memory flash from Jolinar...at least I think it's from her, but I guess it could be my own memories...teases me with an image of Martouf, smiling his very charming smile.

I groan and push the thought away. He's on another planet, and probably only interested in me because of Jolinar anyway. Not exactly someone I should be thinking of, though he would probably find the idea of Valentine's Day sweet and romantic. It's just who he is. I sigh again. This is going to be a long day. Maybe I should go and buy a box of chocolates for myself.


It's maybe an hour later when someone knocks on my door again. I look up, a little irritated. I had finally managed to refocus and was making progress on my experiment. "Yes?"

The door opens and to my surprise Martouf sticks his head in. "Hello, Samantha. May I come in?"

I shake myself from my surprise. "Yeah, sure." He looks...nervous? somehow.

"Thank you." He enters, keeping one of his hands behind him. I decide he definitely looks nervous. What's up?

"I didn't know you were on Earth." I say, stupidly. Because...he obviously is.

"Jacob sent for some things, and I came to give them to him." Martouf explains. "Also..." He smiles, shyly. "I understand today is a festive day among your people, and if you are agreeable, I wish to celebrate it with you." He holds out the hand he has been hiding on his back - he was hiding a box, with a flower of some kind attached to the lid. "This is for you."

I get up and take the gift. "Thank you." I smile at him, suddenly feeling a bit awkward. It's very nice of him, though. "So Jacob told you about Valentine's Day?"

"Yes, he explained that it is a day of celebrating friendships and...other relationships. He also said that the male often gives the female a card, or a small gift of some kind...or invite her out on a...'date'."

I nod. "Yeah, at least many do it like that, but...there's a little more to it. Among adults at least."

"Yes. Usually you celebrate the day with someone whom you have developed a fondness for, and wish to become closer to. Is that not correct?"

"Ah, um, yes. That's right." I blush and quickly open the box, and inside is a beautiful gold necklace, with a pendant made by wrapping gold strands around a fairly large sapphire. "Wow!" I take it out and look at it.

"Do you like it?" He asks, anxiously.

"Yes...I love it! It's very beautiful. But Martouf, this is much too valuable a gift to give for an occasion like this."

He shakes his head. "I do not think so." He bows his head, so I know Lantash will be coming fore.

"Samantha, no gift can ever be as valuable, as you are to me. The necklace may be beautiful, but it pales in comparison with you."

I feel my cheeks redden again. Lantash is certainly a charmer! "That's very sweet of you to say..."

He smile, but somehow he looks uncomfortable. Nervous, like Martouf did. I wonder why? It's not something Lantash does often. He - like all Tok'ra...and Goa'uld - are usually very self-assured and confident. What can be making him nervous?

"Samantha...you did not answer our plea."

"Uh, plea?"

"To celebrate this day with you."

"Ah. Sorry... of course I'll, um, celebrate with you." I smile. "I don't actually usually celebrate Valentine's Day. I usually just treat it like any other day."

Lantash looks...pleased? "Then you will go on a...date with me and Martouf?"

"Yeah, sure, but to be honest, I doubt it's going to be easy to get seats at any restaurant this late. It's already 4PM."

Lantash nods. "If this is a much celebrated day, it would make sense that places to celebrate in has been filled quickly. Would you be adverse to going somewhere else?"

"Uh, where? The mess hall?"

He shakes his head. "No, though if that is your preference, we will join you, even if the food there is...worthy of scientific study."

I laugh. "Yeah, it's not the best. What did you have in mind, then?"

"There is an inn near the large market place on Jurlana. Their food is very good, and they serve a local fruit wine, which is one of the best I have tried."

"You mean go on a date on another planet?"

"Yes." He gets a glint in his eyes. "That is what I would have been doing in any case."

I smile. "You're right. Yes, why not? It might be fun!" I look at my uniform. "But I can't go like this. I need to go home and change."

"There is a dress code for going on a date?"

I smile at him again. "Well, no, not really, but you usually wear something, ah, nice. You know..." I do some hand-waving, not sure if he understands.

He gets a wide smile. "You mean something your partner will find sexually attractive?"

That was a bit more direct than I had expected, but at least he understood. "Ah, yes. I guess."

"Then I shall go and change to different clothing as well."

"Um, that's not necessary." I quickly say, suddenly worried that he'll choose something very revealing. Goa'uld are not exactly known for their subtlety, and while he is Tok'ra, I am not sure if they are different in that way. Besides, being from a different culture, he may have different ideas for fashion anyway. "I like your uniform." It's the truth - as strange as it may sound, I find the beige Tok'ra uniform cute on him. I ought to have my head examined.

"Thank you, it pleases me that you find my clothing aesthetically pleasing, especially since that is what I usually wear. However, for this occasion I would like to dress accordingly."

I take a deep breath. Well, we're going to another world, so perhaps he will actually know better than I what is acceptable. It will probably be me that's dressing strangely, in the eyes of the others. "Okay, then...let's meet back here in, uh, a couple hours. Will that work?"

"Certainly, Samantha." He looks at the necklace that is still in my hands. "May I help you put on the necklace?"

"Yes, thanks." I give it to him.

He steps up close to me, and as he lean close to me and clasp the necklace around my neck, I feel the heat from him, and smell his faint, pleasant scent. I take a deep breath and very much feel like embracing him, kissing him...but I don't. He smiles at me, perhaps sensing my reaction. He moves the necklace a little, making sure it hangs correctly. He step back.

"Then we shall meet in two standard hours."

I nod, already missing his nearness. "Yes."


I arrive back at Stargate Command exactly 2 hours later. I almost didn't make it in time - after bathing, I took forever choosing what to wear. I'm not usually this indecisive, but I'm going on a date! To another planet! With Martouf and Lantash!

I am wearing a blue dress I bought about a year ago. I don't know why I got it, actually. I saw it in the window of the store, and I just knew I had to buy it. It's very flattering to my figure, and sexy without being too revealing or slutty. I decided against wearing high heels with it, because I have no idea if that alien city even has pavement! instead I am wearing a pair of nice sandals, with many thin, interlacing straps.

Of course, I am also wearing the beautiful necklace Martouf/Lantash gave me.

Not knowing even the climate of the place we are going to - why didn't I ask? - I put on a matching light jacket.

At the last moment I decided to wear the lace underwear Janet gave me for my 30th birthday - with the express order to 'have some fun now and then' - even though I don't intend for this date to go further than dinner...and perhaps a kiss.

Feeling nervous, I take the elevator down into the mountain. Why am I this anxious? I'll admit I am often a bit uneasy around Martouf...or unbalanced, is perhaps a better word. I like him a lot, and I think of him as a friend. A very attractive friend. I think it is the legacy from Jolinar which is making me uneasy, the fact that I know these intimate details about him. That and the fact that I often have an urge to kiss him, that I long for him to kiss me.

I meet Martouf/Lantash in the small meeting room near the gateroom, where he is waiting for me. And wow! I must admit I had no reason to worry! He looks gorgeous, in black pants, and black shoes, a loose-fitting white shirt, and a dark-blue coat. He smiles, looking pleased, when he sees me.

"Hello, Samantha. You look beautiful,"

"Thanks, Martouf." I smile at him. "You're looking good too."

His smile widens. "Are you ready to depart?"

I nod. "Yes."