Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 49 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
675
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
828

After The Gathering

Summary:

small scene takes place after the ep "The Gathering"

Work Text:

Dave glanced up to see Aaron standing in his office doorway. He was about to say something but kept his mouth shut instead. He just took a moment to watch.

Aaron’s shoulders were slumped slightly from exhaustion and his hands were jammed in his pockets. He was staring intently at the floor. He worried his lower lip.

“I thought you were headed out,” Dave said softly.

Aaron started. “I was. What about you?”

“Just waiting for Derek,” Dave answered easily. “He’s giving Garcia a last minute pep talk.”

Aaron looked at Dave dully. “A pep talk for what?”

“Her ukulele recital tonight.”

“What?”

Dave chuckled. “Apparently, learning to play the ukulele is on her not bucket list bucket list.”

Aaron still looked bewildered. “Okay, then.”

One end of Dave’s mouth quirked up. “Would you like to come in, Aaron?” he asked lightly. “I don’t bite…” he paused and smirked. “…at least not you.”

Aaron didn’t even raise an incredulous eyebrow or flash one of his ghost of a smiles. He stepped inside and pulled the door shut behind him. He leaned against it, put his head back, and shut his eyes.

Dave kept the same light, conversational tone, although the amusement didn’t reach his eyes. “What’s going on?”

Aaron ran a tired hand through his hair. “I think I just stepped in it with Reid.”

“What do you mean?”

Aaron opened his eyes. He frowned. “You know what happened with Harper?”

Dave nodded to the chairs in front of his desk. “Have a seat, Aaron,” he ordered quietly, “and yes I heard all about it.”

Aaron sank into the seat. He shook his head. “Reid told an unstable, suicidal unsub that we might not be able to help him.”

Dave shrugged. “So, he went off script.”

“That was more than off script, Dave. We try to save everyone, unsubs and victims. When we lie, it’s because we have to.” Aaron folded his arms across his chest and stuck his chin out. “Reid pushed him over the edge.”

Dave stayed relaxed in his seat. “You know that wasn’t Reid’s intention.”

“I know,” Aaron admitted.

“What did he say when you confronted him?”

Aaron swallowed and his shoulders slumped again. “He said the last time he told the perfect lie and it still didn’t work out. He said he changed strategy in hopes of saving a life.”

Dave noticed Aaron gradual shifting in his seat. “And then what?” he prodded gently.

“I told him it was all about Maeve,” Aaron answered in a voice barely above a whisper. “You should’ve seen him, Dave. He looked like I’d just punched him in the gut.”

Dave pinched the bridge of his nose. “Oh, Aaron,” he grunted.

“I know. I know,” Aaron said hurriedly. He let out a frustrated sigh. “Then he ran to the elevator.”

For the first time, Dave’s voice held a slight edge. “Do I really have to tell you that throwing it in his face isn’t going to help him deal with what happened to Maeve?”

Aaron hung his head. “No.”

Dave shook his head and stood. He crossed to the other side of the desk. He helped Aaron to stand. “It’ll be okay, Aaron. Reid knows you weren’t out to hurt him.” He guided Aaron to the door. “Go home, kiss Jack’s forehead, and try to get some sleep.”

Aaron took a deep breath. “You too. See you in the morning.” He slipped past Derek, who had just been getting ready to knock. “Night, Morgan,” he said quietly and kept walking without looking back.

Derek looked at Dave curiously. “What’s going on with him?”

“Nothing that can be dealt with tonight,” Dave answered. He flipped the light off and smiled. “Is Garcia ready for her debut?”

Derek chuckled. “Yeah. I hope this guy appreciates it.”

Dave pulled the door shut. “Do you know him?”

“Not yet.”

Dave touched Derek’s elbow. “You ready to go?”

The hall was dark and deserted. Derek didn’t hesitate to wrap an arm around Dave. “I am so ready. Let’s go.”

Series this work belongs to: