Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 46 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
590
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
907

After All That Remains

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "All That Remains"

Work Text:

Derek took a quick shower and dressed in cotton pants and t shirt. He switched off the bathroom light and joined Dave in their hotel room. He peeked out the curtains. “That rain’s still coming down.”

Dave was dressed the same as Derek. He sat on the lone bed with his back against a pillow against the headboard. There was a half full glass of scotch on the nightstand next to him. “Yeah. The news predicts rain for the next two days.”

“Fun.”

“Yeah,” Dave said dryly.

There was a loud rumble of thunder and Derek peeked out again. He cleared his throat. “What did they say about the case?”

Dave sighed heavily. “Just that Bruce Morrison was cleared of all charges.”

“Nothing about Sera?”

“Just that we found her. I’m sure the rest of it will come out tomorrow along with his psychiatric problems.”

Derek watched the rain pound the pavement of the parking lot. “Her plan was almost perfect.” He shivered. “She murdered her mother and her sister and set her father up to take the fall. How fucked up is that?”

Dave rubbed his tired eyes. “We should’ve known when we watched her in the interrogation room with her father. There was something off there.”

Derek turned back to Dave. He folded his arms across his chest. “JJ and I should’ve known when we picked her up.”

“You were just happy to find her alive. It didn’t occur to you to look deeper,” Dave answered reasonably.

“I guess,” Derek allowed. “This one is definitely a seven out of ten on my weird-o-meter.”

“Mine too.”

Lighting flashed against the drapes. Derek suddenly smirked at Dave. “It’ll be fun flying home tomorrow, all that lovely turbulence. I remember you crossing yourself a time or two during rough stretches.”

Dave glared at Derek. “You can shut up now.”

Derek arched his eyebrows mischievously. “I’m sure Reid would be happy to recite the statistics on airplane deaths as related to other kinds of accidents again.”

Dave’s only response was to flip Derek off.

Derek laughed. He crawled onto the bed and sat next to Dave. He elbowed him playfully. “Have they mentioned the hockey scores yet? Did the Caps win?”

“Yeah. They beat the Bluejackets four to three.” Dave didn’t take his gaze from Sportscenter on TV. He elbowed Derek back, just a bit harder. He sipped his scotch.

Derek let out an exaggerated hiss of pain. He stuck his bottom lip out. “I was only playin’. Come on. Don’t freeze a guy out.”

Dave slowly and carefully put his glass back down. However, he couldn’t hold it and the smile slipped through. “Asshole.”

Derek put a hand on Dave’s thigh. “But I’m your asshole. You love me.”

Dave snorted a laugh. “I do. I don’t want to think about what that says about me.”

“The feeling’s mutual,” Derek whispered earnestly. He reached over Dave to grab the glass to finish the scotch. He hovered over Dave and grabbed the remote with his free hand to turn the TV off.

Dave rested a hand on Derek’s hip. “Too lazy to get your own.”

Derek grinned unrepentantly. “No. It was just enough.”

Dave smiled. “We should…” he drawled, putting particular emphasis on the second word, “…get some sleep.”

Derek made a show of licking his lips and straddled Dave’s lap. He leaned in but stopped a hairbreadth away from Dave’s lips. “I’m not tired.”

Dave slid a hand to the back of Derek’s neck and kissed him softly. “I can fix that.”

Series this work belongs to: