Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 45 of Criminal Minds After Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
644
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
821

After Zugzwang

Summary:

small scene takes place after the ep "Zugzwang"

Work Text:

Dave handed Derek a glass of scotch. “Here,” he said quietly and sat on the couch next to Derek, close enough that their legs touched.

Derek took a sip. He sighed heavily. “Why…Why do you think he wanted to go home with Blake?”

Dave tiredly rubbed the back of his neck. “Blake’s new to the team and she’s always treated Spencer like an equal, never like a little brother. We’re more like family to him and he’s too angry to want our pity right now. Plus, she was the first one to figure out that Spencer had a girl in his life and Blake was the one he was comfortable with during the investigation.”

“I know,” Derek allowed. “I just wish he would’ve come here so we could keep an eye on him.” He finished his glass in two quick gulps. He grunted at the burn. “We never should’ve let Reid go in there by himself.”

“He knew what he was doing. He was the only one who had a shot of talking Turner down,” Dave replied quietly.

Derek tensed. “That woman wasn’t interested in talking,” he growled.

“Hindsight is always 20/20.”

“No,” Derek maintained stubbornly. “It was a bad tactical decision.”

“Maybe it was,” Dave conceded calmly. “But if we all would’ve rushed in there, Turner would’ve just killed Maeve on the spot.”

“We don’t know that,” Derek retorted hotly.

Dave rubbed his eyes but the headache was already there. His own voice was angry and tired. “Turner’s whole objective was to prove that she was better than Maeve. When she realized that she couldn’t, that’s when she turned the gun on both of them. We at least gave Reid a shot to convince Turner that she was going to get what she wanted. Then he would’ve had a better chance at convincing her to let Maeve live with the shame.”

“That’s a lot to expect when Reid’s nerves were in tatters.” Derek’s eyes flashed. “Hotch should’ve never given into him.”

“It doesn’t do us any good to fight about it,” Dave sighed and moved to the opposite end of the couch. He slumped against the arm.

Derek set his empty glass on the coffee table and curled both hands into fists on his lap. “This is just…” his voice trailed off in frustrated anger. “This is just so fucked up. Reid finally finds a girl only to lose her like this. We should’ve done better for one of our own.”

Dave took a drink. He held the glass against his leg. He didn’t look at Derek.

Derek’s voice was low and dangerous. “I don’t know how to help Reid. I don’t know what to do with this anger boiling beneath my skin.”

The silence between them was heavy. Derek was busy clenching and unclenching his fists, staring at Dave. Dave was still, staring at the carpet.

Finally, Derek inhaled sharply. He swiftly closed the distance between them. He pressed close to Dave’s side and buried his face in the side of Dave’s neck. “David,” he whispered shakily. “David, I’m sorry.”

Dave put an arm around Derek and gave him a squeeze. “You don’t have anything to apologize for.”

“I never should’ve taken it out on you.” Derek wrapped one arm around Dave’s torso. His free hand clutched at Dave’s shirt. “But I’m freaked out. I admit it. I’ve only see Reid look that broken one other time. He barely made it back.”

Dave felt Derek shaking. He held on tighter and kissed the top of Derek’s head. “We’ll all be there for Reid. That’s the best we can do. We can’t take his pain away.”

“I know.” Derek turned his head to kiss Dave softly. “I don’t say it enough. I love you.”

Dave pressed his forehead against Derek’s. His warm breath ghosted across Derek’s lips. “I love you, too.”

Series this work belongs to: