Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
755
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
986

Storm Warning

Summary:

Nightwing gets left behind in a storm.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Storm Warning
by J.C.

Rain drizzled down on him as he watched the Batmobile streak away. His hair was tied back, but still a few strands were plastered to his face from the wet weather and the exertion of battle. He cursed to himself as he pushed it back from his eyes, feeling anger and humiliation and longing all at once. 'Damn, I hate this!' It was all too familiar, a mix of emotions from which he couldn't escape. No matter what, it was never enough, never quite right. 'It'll never change between us.'

"You did a fine job. Thanks for your help."

He turned; facing the man he had forgotten was still there as well.

"Yeah, well, thanks. Doesn't seem as if *he* thought so."

"Of course he did. Batman is just..."

"...a tight-assed jerk?"

"I was going to say 'reserved', but then you know him better than I do."

Nightwing laughed, surprised at the ease of it, how he could even joke when it came to Batman these days.

"Yeah, I guess 'reserved' fits, too." He turned to where his bike lay on its side in a pool of mud, and cursed again, dreading the ride home in the rain. "Well, see you around, Superman, glad to be able to pitch in," he said, starting to walk towards his motorcycle.

"You've always fought well together. You think he doesn't know that?"

Nightwing stopped. "Maybe. But he also thinks I'm reckless and impulsive. Like a kid playing around. He doesn't want to face that I'm a man with my own style, not the *Boy* Wonder, anymore."

"Well, you did sort of take us by surprise tonight."

"But I took the bad guys by surprise, too, though."

Thunder rumbled in the distance, and Nightwing sighed. His muscles ached...his heart ached.... Beating the criminals, but still getting nowhere with Batman.

"Want a lift?"

With a start, Nightwing looked up; unaware that Superman had gotten so close. Even after a rough night of fighting evil in a storm, he looked...perfect. Hair and costume seemingly untouched by the elements.

"What?"

"A ride. I can drop you off wherever you want to go."

"Um...I have my motorcycle..." He motioned with his head in the direction of the fallen bike.

Superman's mouth curved in a slight grin. "I *am* Superman, I think I can handle the both of you. The storm will probably get worse before it gets better."

With a shrug, Nightwing answered, "Okay."

They walked over, picking the motorcycle up from where it was partly submerged in mud. Nightwing couldn't help but laugh when Superman exhaled, blowing the mud off the bike, spattering him in the process.

"Man, I could think of a million uses for you besides fighting crime."

"Well, I draw the line at doing windows."

Nightwing found himself grinning uncontrollably. "This is a side of you I've never seen before."

"We all have our moments. Even Batman."

The smile immediately dropped from Nightwing's face, and he turned from the serious look in Superman's eyes.

"Maybe you should talk to him."

"You don't *talk* to Batman," Nightwing answered with a snort.

"And only 'kids' run away."

"I'm *not* running away! I came back! He's the one who always..." He broke off, letting the rumble of thunder fill the silence, noting that the storm was getting closer.

"It was just a suggestion." Mighty shoulders shrugged, and Superman got into position between Nightwing and the cycle.

"You don't understand," Nightwing sighed. He adjusted to the feel of the strong arm around his waist.

"Yes. I do," Superman answered, looking down into sad, wet eyes.

Superman lowered his face, holding the gaze, touching trembling lips, softly at first, then harder, more demanding. He didn't meet with resistance, though it was a minute before he felt response. And despite the sudden clap of thunder and quick flashes of lightning, the rush of rain as the skies opened up, they kissed hungrily, marked with moans and wet bodies pressing closer together, hard lengths rubbing eagerly.

Then, it was over, and Nightwing felt himself lifted into the air, tucked under one of Superman's arms. Eyes closed against the streaming rain and gusts of wind, his mind awash in confused thoughts...

And when Superman dropped him off, settling him and the bike safely on the ground, he gave Nightwing something else to think about before flying away.

"*Somebody* has to make the first move." And in a flash he was gone, swallowed up by the storm clouds overhead.

 

*done*

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Jayci.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.