Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
745
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
910

Tic Toc they all fall down

Summary:

Logan falls during the throes of a fight.

Work Text:

Logan heard Max scream his name, but he barely registered it. Like the rest of the fighting around him as it all faded into the background when his legs gave out causing him to fall - face forward.

It was sudden. One moment he standing - fighting like everyone else giving it his all. The exoskeleton he wore was encased around his legs – until that moment gave him speed, strength and endurance.

Skin scraped hard against the cement in a last minute rush to protect his fall as he impacted with the ground. Closing his eyes Logan tried to ignore the pain his hands endured and zero his attention in on the pain emanating from his legs. His heart rate accelerated; pounding hard against his chest, fear and panic increasing with every breath. Unable to move either leg, Logan’s hand slid down searching for a possible wound. Fingers pressed hard through the cloth of his pants to the material he wore underneath where the exoskeleton’s pad was suppose to pick up the nerve pulse signals to help what his muscles could not do on their own.

Logan didn’t care that he could taste the debris from the ground, only the adrenaline of fear kept him aware. Under his breath Logan started a mantra he hasn’t whispered in two years, <i>‘Move, move move…’</i>

His fear increasing as what pain he felt started to fade. Clenching cloth in his fist, Logan slammed his fist against his thigh. He repeated it punching his thigh, willing his legs to react; to feel any residual pain. There was none.

Logan rolled and twisted his body until he was partially up on his elbows and looked down at his body. Frantic he ripped at his pant leg exposing the pad. The more he ripped away the more he saw. There was no wound, the pad was intact. The exoskeleton wasn’t damaged, he was.

Slowly his eyes traveled the length of his legs. He was still twisted; he legs in the same previous position. Belatedly he realized he was paralyzed and it wasn’t just his legs, but his entire lower body. Any pain he initially felt from his legs had faded behind the curtain of his paralysis. Only the scraped skin on his palms ached.   

Shock as realization hit, he was no better than he was two years ago when he was shot. Internally he screamed; falling back, his head hitting hard unprotected against the ground with a thud.

Pain ricocheted behind his eyes, but it didn’t matter; it wasn’t where Logan wanted to feel the pain. The first time after he was shot, Logan worked hard even trying unconventional methods everything to get some function back in his legs. Nothing worked. However after Sam operated and removed the fragment that had pressed against his spine, he had twinges of movement. Although they both suspected the movement and the feelings he had was only because of Max, due to the transfusion she had given him. Afterwards she said it was the least Manticore could do after they created her series to be universal donors. His last transfusion was before the virus.

Months later Phil gifted him with the exoskeleton. It gave him purpose, a goal; more than just sitting behind a computer screen as Eyes Only.

Logan couldn’t say why, but instinctively he knew it wasn’t his fear that whatever Max’s blood had given him had run its course- it was just him and whatever nerve signals he had weren’t strong enough to work or activate the exoskeleton.

In the distance he heard Max yelling, calling for Alec to help.

Almost distractingly he heard them. Max called his name. He didn’t answer at first. What could he say – that he’d be fine? She called out again, and he heard the blind panic. For her he tried to respond, but what came out was a choked groan.

Max shushed him, told him not to worry; Alec would get him to safety that she was going to hold them off.

He felt Alec’s hand slide across his back though he never felt Alec’s arm under his knees, only the slight jostling as Alec lifted his body. Alec told her, “Don’t worry Maxie, I got him.” as Max stayed behind protecting their back.

Alec didn’t hesitate and moved fast muttering that he had him, that he was going to be alright.

Logan didn’t answer because he knew it was a lie. He wasn’t alright; he’d never be alright ever again…

fin~