Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2013-02-06
Words:
8,109
Chapters:
12/12
Kudos:
26
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,026

Twelve Days

Summary:

The 12 days of Christmas for Logan and Remy.....done a little differently.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Logan and Remy and all likenesses to the X-Men belong to Marvel Comics, 20th Century Fox and Disney Corp. I do not own them. I make no moneys from this, nor do I wish to slandre their names. Danielle/Daniel Williams and "Jeffrey" are my own characters. Any similarity between them and the address is purely coincidental. This is purely fiction.
sisterwine75@hotmail.com
Summary: The 12 days of Christmas for Logan and Remy.....done a little differently.
Note: This is a progressive story. It's done in the form of the 12 Days of Christmas, only not with the list of the song. I hope to have this done by the 25th. Also, I have said before, I am a history nut so, there is a little mystery mixed in.

Chapter Text

Twelve Days
by SisterWine

 

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me.......

1 lost love letter

 

The entire week, the weather had been in the early 70s, for the daytime highs, but dipped into the mid30s during the night. Today, however, was a different scenario. Huge, light and fluffy white clouds moved in, shutting out the azure sky. Sometime around noon, the brilliant white clouds flattened against the ceiling of the earth and darkened to a musty gray colour, threatening to cry large drops of drenching wet rain.

As Remy opened the door of their brand new, suburban home, a great sweep of wind blew through him, chilling him and forcing him to rethink going to the postbox in his cargo shorts and thin T-shirt. Hurriedly, he shut the door before another gust blew in and rushed upstairs to the bedroom closet, for a blue fleece parka. Slipping it on and hurrying back down the stairs, he took a deep dreath before opening the door again and marching out to the postbox to collect the stack of bills that inevitably crowded the tiny compartment.

A cheery yellow box, rounded at the top and perched on a cement-filled metal pole moaned low as the wind rattled around it. The pull down door squeaked open, as if physically tired of holding onto the large stack of envelopes the busy postman shoved into it. Remy removed the stack and slapped the door shut before slowly wandering back to the house. Glancing at each envelope and adding "bill" or "card" after each before pausing on one envelope that seemed out of place.

A faded yellow envelope, the size of a 4x6 notecard. Remy noticed the swirly penmanship on the front the reminded him of old letters his grandparents used to send to each other. The return address had no name and the Send-To address was nowhere near where Logan and Remy lived. "How did--?"

Danielle Williams
1598 Shapiro Court
New York, NY

"Boy, are you a long way from home." Remy flipped the small, stiff envelope over in his hand, looking for a return name. Not finding any, he took a closer look at the top right corner and squinted as he could barely make out the faded postmark; "1915!?" Another gust of wind swept busily around him, raking dried, brown and yellow leaves through the air like rattling papers. Remy had forgotten he had been standing outside all this time and was now mostly blue from the fast-dipping temperature. With a brisk breath and loud exhale, Remy hurried inside, slamming the front door behind him as he ran for the bedroom, and his warm sweatsuit.

Out in the distance, thunder rumbled low over the mountains. It was only 2:30 in the afternoon, and outside was starting to look like nightfall. Turning on the bedside lamp, Remy sat down on Logan's side of the bed, still clutching the stack of envelopes. Tossing the rest of the stack off to one side, Remy paused, again, on the faded yellow envelope. He stared at the name, Danielle Williams, and flipped it over to examine the adhesive seal. To his relief, the top flap hadn't been sealed and then opened but mostly due to time, the adhesive dried and came open. He was glad that whomever handled the letter prior to him, tucked the flap inside rather than resealing it with a heavier glue.

As the thunder outside grew louder and heavy drops of rain, Remy was reminded in the howling wind that knocked against the shut window, why he had come upstairs. With the bills on one side and the small envelope on the other, Remy turned his attention to rummaging through his dresser, in search of his thick sweatpants.

~~~~~~~

It was after 5 when Logan came home. The gradual sound of the garage door going down and then the laundry room door opening and closing as Logan huffed inside. "Brrr. It's chilly out there." Stomping the remaining bit of moisture off of his boots before continuing into the kitchen. Looking up from rolling down his flannel shirt sleeves, he found Remy sitting at the kitchen counter, staring at a small, trifold letter and cuddling a cup of steaming coffee. "I think it might actually snow, tonight." Logan smiled at the idea of hot coffee and went to the cupboard, to the right of the refrigerator, on his right, and retrieved a black coffee cup with a Marshal's Department of Justice emblem on the side. After pouring a cup of coffee for himself, Logan turned back to Remy, who hadn't paid him any attention and only stared at the letter in front of him. His brow furrowed. "Whatcha got? Love letter?"

"Huh?" Remy looked up to find Logan standing across from him, sipping the hot, black coffee.

"What is that?"

Remy's eyes fell back, down to the paper on the counter. "A letter."

Logan nodded. "Anyone I know, too?"

"Non."

"Oh." Logan took another sip and then leaned over to read the name of the addressed, "Who's Daniel?"

Remy sat back and cradled his white mug with both hands as he sipped at his half-gone coffee. He heard the furnace kick on and could feel the cool breeze that filtered out of the vents start to warm up. His eyes stared back down at the faded yellow paper. "De enevelope said it was addressed to 'Danielle Williams' but when I opened de letter up, it said 'Daniel'. Anyway, it's from a doctor, on a ship, dat was on it's way to England but Jeffrey was due back to New York in August of 1915."

"Whoa! 1915?"

Remy nodded and looked up at Logan. "Oui. His name was Jeffrey an' he was hopin' ta spend his 25th birthday wit' Daniel. Don't know if he ever made it but, de letter sure didn't."

Logan's eyes widened as he listened to the story. "What's the return address?"

"De middle of de Atlantic." Remy shrugged and nodded over to the kitchen table, that sat in the breakfast nook, covered in sea charts. Setting his cup down, after another sip, Remy led Logan over to the table, where the envelope lay among the scattered papers and charts.

Logan stared at the envelope for a long while, and then glanced at several different charts. "Hnn. Well, the charts put this as just off the coast of Southern Ireland. The only ship known to go down in that part of the world, 1915, is the Lusitania."

Remy was at a loss for words. A hand covered his mouth. He thought for a moment of the start of World War I and the passengar ship that opened the door for the United States to enter. Walking into the next room and grabbing his laptop from the small writing desk, by the window, he returned back to the kitchen table and sat down. Opening the lid and turning it on, he used the search engine to find more on the topic. "Six lifeboats got away and 764 survivours so, someone musta mailed dis letter, if not Jeffrey.

Scrubbing a hand over his face, Logan exhaled. "Well, it was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the search is over for the people and no one's missin' the letter. How about some dinner, for us? Spaghetti okay?"

Remy looked intently at the black and white photo of the long ship and only shrugged his answer to Logan.

"Come on," kissing the top of Remy's head, "the mystery was fun but let's get back to the present. Shall we?"

Taking one last look at the picture of the ship, Remy shook his head and closed the laptop to help prepare the garlic bread to go with the spaghetti Logan loved to cook.

 

 

........And a partridge in a pear tree.......

 

end part 1