Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
896
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
811

Desperate Confession

Summary:

Jack tells Will how he feels just before he dies and becomes captain of the Flying Dutchmen (Elizebeth is fighting elsewhere when this happens)

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Desperate Confession
by RogueSpike

 

Jack's entire being screamed when the sword plunged into Will's chest.

The shock was so great it succeeded in erupting onto his face, making it an open book for anyone to read. The hand holding what was left of his broken sword halted above the beating heart, all thoughts of taking eternity for himself gone from his mind.

Will's name tried to force its way from Jack's lips but his entire body seemed to have gone completely numb, making the name's escape impossible.

Will was going to die?

This time the name managed to escape, to whisper past Jack's mouth almost without his knowing it. Will's eyes lifted from where they had been staring at the sword to Jack. A small, shaky smile played at Will's lips, like he was silently trying to tell Jack it was okay.

Davey Jones was distracted as several of the pirates attacked him and for a moment forgot that his heart was literally in Jack's hands. Jack took the opportunity to stumble forward and fall to his knees beside Will.

"No," he hadn't meant to voice it but it came out anyway. The heart fell to the deck beside Will, as did the broken sword.

"You really didn't intend for me to die, did you?" Will asked. It was strange. He didn't feel afraid, or even in that much pain. He just wanted to find out what Jack really felt before he slipped into the darkness.

"No," Jack reached out and grabbed Will's shoulder, like it would somehow anchor Will to him. "Will..."

"It's alright, Jack."

No, it wasn't alright! He didn't know! He couldn't die and not know! This wasn't working out like he'd planned at all!

"You're not going to die!" Sliding his hand down Will's arm to his wrist, Jack took a firm hold of it and thrust the broken sword into Will's hand.

"What good will this do me?"

"Stab the heart," Jack told him. He slid the heart closer and lifted Will's wrist. "Become the captain of the Flying Dutchmen."

Will's eyes flitted uncertainly to the beating heart beneath his hand. On one hand he could actually do a lot of good. He could return the ship to its former purpose, even possibly save the crew members on it from the fate they had condemned themselves to. On the other hand, would it be worth it? Being unable to step on land for ten years?

The hand tightened on the hilt of the sword. With the help of Jack Will thrust the broken tip into the heart.

Neither one really noticed the reaction of Jones, nor did they notice when he fell from the ship with his loves name on his lips. They only saw each other.

Say it! The words screamed into his mind, trying to force out the three words he'd never said to anyone. His mouth opened but the only thing that came out was air. The hand on Will's wrist tightened.

"Jack?" Will asked questioningly. He was slipping and even though he knew that he would wake again, he wanted to know what it was Jack was trying to say to him.

SAY IT!

"I love you."

Jack desperately wished he had some rum. It would have rid him of the cursed nervousness he never felt while on the wonderful stuff. Then he realized maybe it was a good thing he wasn't drunk like he usually was, because the words would have sounded fake if he had been.

To Jack's great surprise, Will smiled again. "I know." Will murmured. His eyes began to slide closed. "I love you too."

The shock that returned to him almost made him freeze again, until he realized Will was almost gone. Leaning quickly forward, Jack locked his mouth with Will's in a short but fierce kiss.

Jack stood. For a moment he stared down at Will, reluctant to leave even though he knew he had to. Then he heard a shocked cry from Elizabeth as she finally arrived on the scene.

Grabbing a nearby rope, Jack pulled Elizabeth to him and held her tight even as she fought to free herself and go to Will. He swung off the ship and back to the Pearl, keeping a firm grip on the now sobbing woman.

Several minutes that seemed like decades passed as Jack and Elizabeth made it back to the Pearl. Jack stared tensely at the waters as they headed directly for the enemy ships.

Jack almost felt like jumping up and down when the Dutchmen burst from the water. A grin broke out on his face when he saw Will at the helm. He didn't even notice the now normal looking crew as relief flooded through him in waves.

For a moment, Jack considered joining the crew. He stared across the sea to the other ship and dwelled on the idea for a moment but realized he wasn't ready to give up the life he led quiet yet. Maybe someday but not yet.

Will smiled at him from across the water as they headed towards the first ship. Jack smiled back, a real smile unlike any seen on his face before.

Will was alive. He was alive and knew of Jack's feelings for him.

Turning to face the oncoming ship, Jack continued to smile.

Everything would be fine now.

 

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author RogueSpike.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.