Actions

Work Header

After The Good Earth

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The Good Earth"

Work Text:

Alex chuckled in disbelief. “I can’t believe you did that.”

Penelope looked at her from the passenger seat of Alex’s truck. She blinked in puzzlement. “What?”

Alex kept facing forward. She rubbed her hands over the steering wheel. “Nothing.”

Penelope frowned. “Come on. What?”

Alex shook her head. She chuckled again. “If you can’t figure it out, I’m not sure if I should tell you.”

Penelope waved a hand dismissively. “I really have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Alex put on the brakes at a stop sign. She shot a raised eyebrow at Penelope. “Okay then.” She smirked, faced forward, and pressed the accelerator.

Penelope just shrugged and went back to looking out the window at all of the kids on the street in costume.

Suddenly, the sound of a deep siren filled the cab. Alex looked around. “What is that?”

Penelope twisted around in her seat to get her big bag on the floor behind her. She hefted it onto her lap and started digging around inside. “Haven’t you ever heard the TARDIS siren?”

Alex glanced at Penelope as if she’d grown a second head. “TARDIS?”

“From Dr. Who,” Penelope answered absently, still digging in her purse.

“Never heard of it.”

Penelope gasped, scandalized. “It’s only one of the best sci-fi shows ever.”

“I don’t watch a lot of sci-fi.”

“Oh, poor deprived child. Boy Genius and I will fix that. Don’t worry.” Penelope finally found her cell phone.

Alex pulled into the parking lot at the pizza parlor. “Great,” she drawled.

If Penelope noticed Alex’s sarcasm, she didn’t let on. She let out an outraged squeak. “What does Chocolicious mean that they’re not coming?”

“I think it’s pretty self explanatory,“ Alex said dryly. The lot was packed and she stopped several times to avoid hitting families. “If these people don’t watch where they’re going, the blood’s not going to be fake anymore.”

“I’m calling him. They’d better have a good reason to bail on us.”

Alex parked. “I wouldn’t.”

Penelope pouted at her. “Why?” she whined.

Alex rolled her eyes. “You invited the team out on their date.”

“Huh?”

“You didn’t notice, did you?” Alex smiled fondly and shook her head. “You were so wrapped up in making an impromptu Halloween party for the team and all the kids.”

Penelope folded her arms across her chest. She stuck her chin out. “What? Derek said they were going to dinner and I thought it would be fun if we all went together before Henry and Jack go out trick-or-treating. I can’t wait to get a picture of Boy Genius and his Mini Me. It’ll be so cute.”

“Try to remember,” Alex persisted patiently. “Morgan’s exact words were that his man was treating him to dinner. I would’ve expected you of all people to notice the way he said it or the way that they were looking at each other.”

Penelope winced. “Really?”

“Really. I’m pretty sure Morgan thought about strangling you,” Alex answered, completely deadpan.

“He could’ve told me.”

Alex snickered. “You can be like a steamroller when you have your mind set on something.” Her cell phone vibrated against her hip. She checked the text. She blushed. “Oh, my.”

“What?”

“It’s from Morgan.” Alex handed her phone to Penelope. “See for yourself.”

Penelope’s eyes got wide. “I’m feasting at home tonight on my Italian. See ya tomorrow.” She handed the phone back. Her bottom lip wobbled. “I’m the one who’s supposed to get the dirty text messages. He’s mad at me.”

Alex unbuckled her seat belt and opened her door. “Yeah,” she agreed immediately and with no trace of pity. “Yeah, he is.”

Series this work belongs to: