Actions

Work Header

After The Silencer

Summary:

small scene takes place after the ep "The Silencer"

Work Text:

Alex Blake rubbed her tired, itchy eyes. She shook her head and took a deep breath. She grabbed her bag.

“Heading out?”

Alex started and stared at Penelope Garcia blankly for a moment. “Yeah.” She rubbed the back of her neck. “Sorry. After this case, I’m a bit fried.”

Penelope smiled. “That’s all right. You haven’t seen Derek, have you?”

“He left a couple minutes ago and he seemed to be in a hurry.”

Penelope frowned. “Oh, okay.”

Alex sat up, instantly alert. “Why? What’s wrong?”

Penelope shrugged. “I was just hoping we could walk out together.”

Alex relaxed. She stood and stretched. “I’ll walk out with you,” she said amiably.

Penelope smiled again. “Okay.”

They walked side by side out the glass doors, but Alex walked past the elevator to the door to the stairs. She pushed the door open. “After you.”

Penelope stopped short. “Really?”

“Come on,” Alex coaxed. “It’s much easier going down than up.”

Penelope pouted. “Please, can’t we just ride down?”

Alex rolled her eyes. “No. This will be good for you. Now, let’s go.”

Penelope huffed but brushed past Alex. “You’re not one of those health nuts, are you?”

Alex chuckled. “I wouldn’t say nut.”

Suddenly, Derek’s deep voice echoed up from a few floors down. “Damn. I’m on my way out now. I should be there in twenty minutes…okay, make it fifteen.”

Penelope clutched Alex’s arm. “I changed my mind,” she whispered urgently. “I’d rather take the elevator.”

Alex responded by holding a finger to her lips. “Shhh.”

Derek laughed but it was strained. “You shouldn’t be putting images like that in my head when you know I have to get behind the wheel of a car.”

Penelope gave Alex a tug. “Please.”

“No,” Alex hissed back.

Derek sounded excited and extremely frustrated at the same time. “It’s been over two weeks. I’ve missed your filthy mouth.”

Penelope tugged harder. “Alex…Agent Blake,” she stuttered.

Alex pursed her lips in thought. “Who’s he talking to?”

Derek’s voice broke. “Fuck, David. Wait till I get my hands on you. One of us isn’t going to able to move right for a week.”

Penelope winced. She squeezed her eyes shut. She could barely hear the heavy door at the bottom of the stairs open and close over the beating of her heart.

Alex’s eyebrows drew together. “Was Morgan talking to the David I think he was?”

Penelope sighed and sank down onto the top step. “Yup. The one and only David Rossi. If you’re good enough to be on the team, you would’ve figured it out sooner or later. Sometimes, they’re not very subtle.”

Alex sat next to Penelope. “Wow,” she said in surprise. “Can I ask how long?”

“Almost five years.”

“Wow.” Alex shook her head. “Just wow.”

Penelope bit her bottom lip. She regarded Alex solemnly. “Is this going to be a problem?”

Alex arched an eyebrow. “Why would it be? It’s obvious that it doesn’t impair their work.”

“Really?” Penelope asked anxiously.

Alex smiled gently. “Really. I have no desire to cause any trouble for them.”

Penelope let out the breath she didn’t realize she was holding. She sighed in relief. “Good.”

Alex took Penelope’s arm and helped her to her feet. “Out of curiosity, does Strauss know?”

Penelope adjusted the big bag on her shoulder. “Not officially.”

Alex gave a half smile. “I see.”

Penelope shifted her weight from one foot to the other. “So, can we take the elevator now?”

Alex’s smile turned into a full grin. “No. The coast is clear now. I’m sure Morgan’s already peeled out of the parking lot. And unless I’ve completely misjudged Hotch, Reid, or JJ, I think we’re safe.”

Series this work belongs to: