Actions

Work Header

A Day in the Week Before Christmas to Remember

Summary:

Fran has a surprise for Dave.

A few lines of dialogue borrowed from Talladega Nights marked w/*

Work Text:

It was late afternoon but it was already getting dark when the cab came to a stop. In the few minutes it took Dave to pay the driver and for him and Derek to get out with their bags, the roof of the cab was covered with snow. The recently shoveled walk in front of Fran’s house already had a light dusting. Multi-color Christmas lights and a light up Santa decorated the front. The twinkling white lights and pearls of the tree were visible through the sheer drapes on the windows.

Derek looked up and did a slow turn. He grinned at Dave and his eyes sparked in excitement. “Have I told you how much I love a white Christmas?”

Dave chuckled. His breath came out as thick vapor. “Once or twice.”

They climbed the steps to the front door. Derek made a show of dropping his bag. He smirked at Dave expectantly.

Dave arched an eyebrow. “What are you smirking at?”

Derek looked up and pointed. “That.”

Dave followed Derek’s gaze to the mistletoe hanging from the ceiling of the porch. He laughed. “I wonder who your mom is trying to catch with that.”

Derek shivered in mock horror. “Come on, man. That’s my mom.”

“She’s also a woman,” Dave retorted easily. “Maybe she’s got her eye on someone. Maybe, she’s a cougar.”

Derek shook his head. “That’s not cool, Dave. That’s not something I need to think about.”

“Come on,” Dave said casually but there was a mischievous glint in his eyes. “She’s a firecracker. I’m sure men half her age couldn’t keep up with her.”

Derek growled. He stepped closer and rested his hands on Dave’s hips. He leaned in and playfully licked the corner of Dave’s mouth. “Just shut up and kiss me.”

Dave took his glove off, cupped the side of Derek’s face, and gave him a soft, thorough kiss. His thumb stroked Derek’s cheekbone. “Buon Natale,” he murmured tenderly, just loud enough for Derek to hear.

Derek shut his eyes and rested his forehead against Dave’s. He smiled against Dave’s lips. “Merry Christmas to you too.”

“Christmas is still a week away. Now, get your butts in here out of the cold before you catch your death,” a voice commanded in amusement.

Derek laughed and pulled away. He grabbed his bag. “Yes, Mama.”

Fran was standing in the doorway, grinning at them. She looked comfortable in a green sweater, blue jeans, and fluffy black slippers with the Blackhawks logo on the side. She pushed the screen door open and then stepped to the side to let them in. “I’m glad you guys got here before the next snowstorm moves in. They’re predicting at least six inches.”

“That should be fun,” Dave drawled. He wiped his feet, stepped in, and kissed Fran’s cheek.

Fran gave Dave a peck on the cheek. “It always is. I’m fully stocked on everything, so hopefully we won’t have to go out in that mess.”

Derek stomped his boots on the mat and followed Dave inside. He closed the door. He gave Fran a one armed hug and kissed the top of her head. “The house looks great. Merry Christmas, Mama.”

Fran hugged him back. “Merry Christmas.”

Derek pulled away to hang his and Dave’s coats in the front hallway closet. “So, where is everybody?”

“The terrible trio?” Fran asked with a smirk. “Desiree and Sarah are at a Christmas party and Darren’s spending the weekend at a friend’s house for a birthday/Christmas party. I made Christmas cookies this afternoon and I found a recipe for the cookies you said your Mom used to make, Dave. I think they turned out quite well.”

Dave smiled. “Thank you. You didn’t have to do that.”

Fran grinned. “I wanted to. I’ve had a nice, quiet evening of chicken and dumplings, Irish hot chocolate, and Christmas movies that aren’t sugary enough to rot my teeth.”

Dave laughed. “I remember from last year. No It’s a Wonderful Life.”

“Or A Christmas Story,” Derek put in.

“Right,” Fran agreed. “This year, Miracle on 34th St falls into that category as well. I can only stomach that about once a decade.”

Derek rolled his eyes. “So, what did you watch?”

Fran rolled her eyes right back at him and answered, “We’re No Angels with Humphrey Bogart, Scrooged, and I’m in the middle of Elf.”

Derek frowned. “I didn’t know you like Will Ferrell.”

“Well, I do, especially Talladega Nights.”

Dave laughed out loud. “Shake n’ Bake.*”

Fran took on the Ricky Bobby drawl. “No, never again.*”

Dave copied her. “You're right. I was like a total dick, man.*”

“From now on, you're the Magic Man and I'm El Diablo.*”

“What does Diablo mean?*”

“It's like... Spanish for like a fighting chicken,*” Fran said, completely deadpan in the Ricky Bobby voice.

Derek just stared from Fran to Dave and then back again. He tried to look horrified but he just couldn’t hold it. He cracked up. “That’s messed up.”

Fran bowed. “Thank you. Thank you. We’ll have more shows at two, four, and six.” She shooed them away. “Now, go drop your bags in the guest room.”

The two men went up the stairs and down to the last door of the hall to the left. The room reflected Fran’s taste with its blue and white striped wallpaper and plush navy blue carpet. The furniture was light oak.

Dave chuckled. “I really like her.”

Derek shook his head in exasperation. “I think you bring out her dark side.”

“I think it’s just under the surface but you never wanted to see it.”

“So says Palpatine about Vader.”

Dave snickered. “And you’ve been hanging around Reid too much.” He dropped his bag on the floor next to the queen size bed. He stretched to try to work some of the kinks out of his back. “That was a long flight.”

Derek shut the door. He blocked it with his body so Dave wouldn’t see him lock it. “Sometimes, it scares me that Mama not only doesn’t care if we share a room, she plans on it now.”

Dave sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed the back of his neck. “I think we’re all past the point of embarrassment over that.”

Derek crawled on the bed behind Dave. He started rubbing Dave’s shoulders and murmured, “You really think so?”

Dave closed his eyes. “We’re all adults, except maybe for you. Besides, we’ve never done it under her roof and she knows that.”

Derek snorted. He kept at it with one hand on Dave’s shoulder. He let the other move down to the tight muscles on his back.

Dave groaned and let his head fall forward. “That’s good.”

Derek didn’t stop the motion of his hands when he kissed the back of Dave’s neck. “How about I give you a full body massage?” he whispered suggestively.

Dave grunted. “No.”

Derek kissed the warm skin again. “Why not?”

“Cause you’ll chicken out again,” Dave answered matter-of-factly. “I don’t get upset about it. It’s a natural response.” He hissed when Derek bit him. “I know. The truth hurts.”

Derek tightened his grip on Dave. “I wish you would just shut up and let this happen.”

Dave reached back to cup the back of Derek’s head. “Not tonight, but if you’re really feeling adventurous later this week, maybe.”

“Fine,” Derek huffed. He moved to sit next to Dave. “I hate to admit it, but it does feel a little weird.”

Dave cradled the side of Derek’s face in his hand and gave Derek a quick kiss. “Let’s go downstairs and share in the Irish hot chocolate.”

Derek barely turned his head to kiss Dave’s palm. “Okay, but no more movie quotes.”

Just as they came down the stairs, the doorbell rang. “Would one of you get that?” Fran called from the living room.

Dave was the closest to the door. He opened it. His eyes widened in shock before he grinned widely. “Uncle Gino?”

Gino was a couple inches shorter than Dave and there was nothing old or frail about him. He had a full mane of silver wavy hair and a well groomed full beard. His brown eyes were the same as Dave’s. He was dressed elegantly, in all black, and carried a cane topped with a silver wolf’s head. He easily pulled Dave forward, cupped the side of Dave’s neck, and kissed him on each cheek. “Buon Natale, Davey.”

Dave grasped Gino’s forearms. “Buon Natale. What are you doing here? You said you were spending Christmas in Venice.”

Gino’s lip curled up in distaste. “The Contessa is beginning to bore me and her children are worse. They try to tell her that I’ve taken advantage of her. They know nothing.” He paused and pressed his forehead against Dave’s for a brief moment. “I thought it might be time to come back home and then I received a call from a charming lady inviting me into her home to spend Christmas with my favorite nephew. How could a gallant gentleman refuse?”

“I’m glad you didn’t. It’s good to see you.”

Derek was so busy watching that he barely noticed Fran stand beside him. He put an arm around her. “You did good, Mom,” he whispered. “Damn good.”

Fran leaned into him. “Since Adam couldn’t be here, I thought of the next best thing.”

Gino pulled back. He clicked his tongue between his teeth in mock disapproval. “Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

Dave inclined his head. “Pardon me.” He stepped to the side to let Gino inside the house. “Gino Messina, this is the Lady of the House Fran Morgan and her son Derek.”

With a continental flair, Gino kissed Fran’s hand. “It is an honor to meet you at last, charming lady.”

Fran arched an eyebrow at him but smiled. “And you’re most welcome here, gallant gentleman.”

Gino took a moment to look Derek up and down with a critical eye. He nodded once to himself and held his hand out. “I’ve heard so much about you, it’s nice to finally put a face with the name.”

Derek didn’t hesitate in shaking Gino’s hand. “Same here.”

Fran gestured to the living room. “Come in and have a seat. Would you like some hot chocolate?”

“Yes, with a touch of brandy if you have it.” Gino shrugged out of coat and gave it to Dave. He grinned at Dave before turning to follow Fran out.

“Derek, take Gino’s suitcase up to Darren’s room. Darren’s going to be sleeping on the couch,” Fran threw over her shoulder.

“Right, Mama,” Derek called after them.

Dave chuckled and hung Gino’s coat in the closet. He turned to Derek dragging Gino’s suitcase inside. “You still think I corrupted her?”

Derek laughed. “Yes.”

Series this work belongs to: