Actions

Work Header

Saturday

Summary:

Day 6 of vacation -- misadventures at the cabin

Work Text:

Derek threw a couple fresh logs onto the fire before he settled back down on the blanket with Dave. He sat Indian style while Dave lay on his back next to him. He smirked at Penelope sitting on a lawn chair on the other side of the fire. “I’m not sure Reid will forgive you.”

Penelope grinned unrepentantly and pointed at herself. “Moi? What did I do? I’m not the one who rocked the boat.”

Dave snorted. “Yes, it was. You’re not supposed to celebrate like a football player in the endzone every time you catch a fish. ”

Penelope pouted. “I’m much cuter than all those muscle men in pads.”

“That you are,“ Derek agreed but held a hand up. “But fishing was your idea,” he reminded her. “Early morning fishing. You didn’t even let the poor boy have his coffee before you dragged us out.”

Penelope giggled. “I made everyone a thermos.”

Dave chuckled. “Then you threatened not to let him have it unless he came with us.”

“He was better off with us than spending the day moping in your library.” Penelope let out a put upon sigh. “Honestly, whose vacation house has a library?”

“It’s a small one and reading is relaxing,” Dave offered easily.

Penelope rolled her eyes. “Sure.”

“Besides, it’s a way to pass the time when the weather’s bad, considering there’s no TV.”

Penelope hugged her arms across her chest and started rocking in her seat like she was going through withdrawal. “And no internet.”

Derek snickered. “It’s only two days. You can cope, especially with Reid around to torment.”

Penelope laughed in evil delight. “I’ll never forget the look on Reid’s face before he hit the water.”

“And that’s why he’ll never forgive you.” Derek moved to mirror Dave’s position. He tilted his head against Dave’s shoulder. “The stars are bright tonight.”

Dave took one of Derek’s hands and interlaced their fingers. “Pops used to know all the constellations. He had a telescope on the roof of our building. He used to quiz us. If we knew our stuff, we got ice cream.”

“And if you didn’t?” Derek teased.

Dave gave an exaggerated shudder. “Nana Rossi somehow found out all the ways us kids misbehaved in church.”

Derek dramatically clutched his free hand to his chest. “Siccing grandma on ya. That’s cold.”

Penelope bit her lip to keep from cooing at watching them. She was the first one to hear the door open. “Come and join us, Boy Genius,” she called cheerfully.

Spencer cautiously stepped into the circle of light from the fire. He held a shopping bag tightly in hand. He stayed away from Penelope, refusing to acknowledge her presence. He dropped to his knees near Derek and Dave. “Do you guys want to make smores?”

The two sat up. Derek grinned. “Sure, Reid.”

Spencer gave a relieved smile. He started arranging the supplies on the edge of the blanket. He handed Derek and Dave skewers. Then he opened the bag of marshmallows. He popped one in his mouth before he handed them the bag.

Derek and Dave exchanged amused glances before Derek nudged Spencer. “What about Baby Girl?”

Spencer’s only response was a frown.

Penelope pouted. “I’m sorry, Spence.”

Spencer folded his arms across his chest. He stuck his chin out and glared at her. “No, you’re not.”

Penelope got up. She quickly circled to his side and dropped to her knees next to him. She held a hand over her heart. “Yes, I am, cross my heart.”

Spencer could only hold the glare for a moment longer before he smiled. “Okay.”

Penelope batted her eyelashes in exaggerated innocence. “Do you forgive me?”

Spencer handed her the chocolate. “Yes.” He paused and bared his teeth. “But if word of my mishap spreads through the BAU after we get back, what I did to Morgan during our prank war will not compare to what I come up with for you.”

Penelope couldn’t say if it was the way the firelight glinted in his eyes but she believed him. She let out the breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding. “Understood.”

They enjoyed the smores while chatting about nothing important. Penelope abandoned her lawn chair to Spencer while she made herself comfortable on a large tree stump. Derek moved to sit behind Dave. He rested against the large tree behind them and pulled Dave’s back against his chest.

Spencer looked up. “It is peaceful here.”

Penelope huffed. “I can’t believe we have to go back tomorrow.”

Dave put his head back against Derek’s shoulder. He closed his eyes. “This from the woman who was just complaining about no internet.”

Derek kissed the side of Dave’s head before smirking at Penelope. “The Nats won yesterday. You enjoyed the barbecue after the hike last night and then today’s adventure. What more do you want?”

Penelope just grinned widely.

Spencer grimaced and stood. “What I’d like is to study that copy of Dante’s Inferno. The illustrations look fascinating. Do you mind, Rossi?”

It took a long moment for Dave to answer. “Go ahead. Knock yourself out.”

Penelope watched Spencer disappeared into the night before she nodded towards Dave. “Is he asleep?”

Dave grunted. “Not quite.”

Derek tightened his grip around Dave’s waist. “You mind if I tell her?” he murmured close to Dave’s ear.

“Not at the moment.” A lazy smile crossed Dave’s face. “Although, that could change.”

Penelope giggled. “Tell me what?” she asked in hushed excitement.

Derek’s answering smile was shy. “Well,” he began awkwardly.

Penelope slid off the her tree stump and crawled over to Derek’s side. “Come on, Chocolicious. Don’t keep me in suspense.”

“Well,” Derek tried again. “JJ’s wedding got me thinking.”

“About?” Penelope prompted.

Derek’s throat was suddenly dry. “About when you know it’s time for something more, something permanent.”

Penelope just stared at him for a moment before he eyes got wide. She clutched Derek’s shoulder. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

Dave frowned. He didn’t bother opening his eyes. “No squealing, Garcia.”

Penelope let got of Derek. She bit her bottom lip, hard, and sat on her hands. She rocked back and forth. “Do you mean a wedding?” she asked solemnly.

Derek laughed quietly in embarrassment. “Not exactly. We don’t need anything that big, just something for us and the people close to us.”

Penelope stomped on the impulse to squeal in excitement. He eyes sparkled behind her glasses. “What can I do? How can I help?”

The tension drained from Derek’s shoulders. He held her gaze. “Keep it to yourself for the time being and help me think of something besides rings.”

“Why?” Penelope asked in puzzlement. “And why no rings.”

“Cause we’re not ready for everyone to know yet and rings have a bad connotation in Dave’s mind.”

Penelope leaned in to kiss Derek’s and then Dave’s cheek. “Okay.” She brushed herself off and got up. She put her hands on her hips. “How am I supposed to sit on news this big?”

Derek grinned. “I have faith in you.”

Penelope pouted. “Oh, now I have to be good.” She giggled. “And I’ll start by leaving you two alone. I’ll be heading to bed and I doubt Reid will stick his nose out of that book. Good night.”

Derek watched her leave before he started nuzzling the side of Dave’s neck. “You can’t sleep on me now.”

Dave groaned low in his throat. “Are they finally gone?”

Derek eased Dave onto his back. He leaned in and whispered against Dave’s lips, “It’s just you, me, and the fire.”

Series this work belongs to: