Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
456
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
621

Blood and Beer

Summary:

There's nothing keeping her awake.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Blood and Beer
by Pirate Turner

 

        They're not nightmares. She's just a naturally restless sleeper. It comes with the job of being a Slayer. You never know when an enemy's going to try to sneak up on you and do you in in your sleep, so you have to sleep lightly and wake easily. You have to be aware, at all times, of even the slightest noise. Your life, and others', she's come to learn, may very well depend on it.

        That's the only reason why she can't sleep tonight as others pace the floor restlessly, wondering what's next and how they're going to stop the end of the world this time. There are those, too, who are being kept awake, because they're fearful they're not going to be up to the test. They'll die or others will die to save them, or maybe even both. It's yet another worry that Faith doesn't have. She's the best, biggest, and baddest bitch there's ever been, and she'll prove it to all the Vamps, the Demons, anything else that wants to take over the world, and the world at large.

        No one's going to stop her, and nothing's keeping her awake. She's not seeing faces in her sleep, and if she was, they certainly wouldn't be of her first Watcher, of her parents, or of the man she killed. That's all behind her now. She has no more ties, no more fears. She only has a job, and that's to save the world. She'll do it tomorrow night, but tonight, she might as well go ahead and get back up.

        She's not sleeping. She picks up her stake and knife and sets to sharpening the wood while she joins the others walking through the house. She lets her feet go where they will, and they find her in the kitchen where Spike's downing another bag of blood.

        He glances up at her, dark eyes full of knowledge he won't speak. He knows the true reason why she doesn't sleep, but he won't call her on it just as she won't call him out for trying to still be a bad ass himself while helping the humans. "Beer?" he asks.

        She nods, grabs the can he tosses to her, pops the top, and guzzles down half the can in a single gulp. Then they look at each other over their beer and blood. "You ready to kick ass tomorrow night?"

        He grins; her smile isn't deterred by the blood shining on his fangs. "Let's go ahead and do it tonight."

        She chuckles. "Yeah." Of course, they won't. They'll wait for the others. They'll go in together and hope, secretly as always, to come out together as well.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.