Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
543
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
777

All That's Necessary

Summary:

All that's necessary for the right people to love each other is two hearts.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

All That's Necessary
by Pirate Turner

 

        She'd always enjoyed buying things for Cassie. The girl was her best friend but also so incredibly naive and usually a walking fashion disaster, two things Rachel hadn't been since she'd been a little girl. Cassie sometimes makes her think of herself if her life had been different, if she hadn't woken up at an early age to some of the world's uglier truths, like you couldn't always trust a man, or even your family, to always be there for you. You had to learn to stand on your own two feet and to use what God had given you, whether it was talents, a fighting ability, or a hot bod, to get what you needed and perhaps even what you wanted.

        Cassie wanted Jake. That was obvious to any one who saw her whenever Rachel's cousin came around her. The girl became almost completely different from her usual self. She was shy and blushing, and she tried, but failed miserably, to be like any other girl and get the attention of the guy she liked. Rachel didn't see the attraction, but she saw the effect Jake had on Cassie and, from that moment on, wanted her cousin and her best friend together.

        Dragging Cassie to the mall was a normal occurrence for them, but though they often went shopping together, Rachel could rarely get Cassie to buy any real clothes other than jeans or allow her to buy them for her. One day, however, after an especially dangerous battle against the Yeerks the night before and treating them both to lunch and cinnamon buns afterwards -- What was the point of keeping one's figure if you knew you were going to die sooner or later, after all? You didn't want to hear people talking about how good looking and skinny you were at your funeral but rather what a good person you were. --, Rachel insisted on buying Cassie a new outfit. She adamantly refused to try on a dress or even a skirt, so Rachel got her a new blouse and a new pair of jeans, which were far more feminine than anything currently in Cassie's closet, which Rachel knew well, having ransacked it many times in the past in vain attempts to find something that would catch a guy's eye but finding nothing that would make even her cousin look twice.

        Cassie looked good in the new clothes, but it still wasn't enough to Rachel's way of thinking. She bought her a tube of lipstick. Cassie swore she'd never use it, but Rachel shoved it into a pocket on her new jeans nonetheless. She bought her a dress, too, but claimed it was for her as she knew Cassie would refuse to let her buy it if she had any inkling it was really for her.

        The dress hung in Rachel's closet for months, and then one day, she spied Jake and Cassie kissing. Her grin was almost as big as hers. That evening, she wore the dress herself, knowing, at last, that Cassie had been right. She didn't need a dress or anything like most girls did to catch the man of her dreams. Their hearts did all the wooing that was necessary.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.