Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
507
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
710

Truths

Summary:

She wouldn't tell him she'd warned him.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Truths
by Pirate Turner

 

        Her fingers were so gentle upon his fake face. He wondered what it would feel like to have her caress his actual beak for one scant second, but reality swiftly sent that thought packing for he knew, in truth, that if she ever saw his true face, she'd run away screaming.

        "You know," Irma said, her fingertips boldly slipping underneath the edge of his plastic skin, "I know this is a mask." She blushed as she gazed up at him through her wire-rimmed spectacles. "Why do you guys only ever let April see your real faces? I can keep a secret, too, you know."

        "I . . . I am quite certain you can, Irma," Donatello answered, forcing his voice to sound braver and calmer than he felt inside his shell where he was quivering in response to her soft touches. She smiled up at him, and his heartbeat went wild. "H-However, it is not simply a matter of secrecy. It is foremost a protective measure."

        "Protective?" Irma repeated, sliding her fingers further underneath his mask. "From what? I mean, I know you guys are heroes, but still you can't endanger me."

        He took her hand in his and forcibly removed her searching fingers. "I can more so than you know."

        It was the tears welling in her big, brown eyes that got to him as she whimpered, "D-Don't you trust me, Donnie?" He gently cupped her face as hot tears spilled down her trembling cheeks.

        "Yes, of course," he affirmed, eager to stop her pain.

        "Then trust me. Show me. Share your . . . your truths with me."

        "Irma, you do not understand the danger . . . "

        "I'm in trouble all the time any way!" Irma blurted. "April keeps me in danger! At least, this, I can choose for myself! Let me see the real you!"

        She shoved at his plastic mask again, but this time, before he could stop her, she spied his green skin. She screamed and ran away, leaving Donnie's heart to fall alone into a sea of pain. Ice seeped into his heart with fingers like jagged daggers, but the hurt he felt was far worse than any frostbite. He'd gladly give himself up to any physical pain to avoid the emotional hurt he was feeling now.

        Hours of restless wandering throughout the city finally delivered him to April's door. She opened her door at the first chime for she'd been expecting him since receiving Irma's screaming phone call. Her own heart broke with one look at his soaked face.

        He'd been crying since Irma had ran from him, as she'd known would happen, and tears still poured down his trembling, green beak. Part of her had been angry with him for telling Irma the truth, but one look at his forlorn face vanquished her anger and changed her mind completely. She didn't tell him she'd warned him not to tell Irma. She only took him in her arms and hugged him close, and Donnie at last felt the warmth of friendship again.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.