Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of A Study in Light
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2012-06-12
Words:
90,591
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
16
Hits:
2,628

A Study in Light - Interludes of Life - Part Four: Love and Insanity

Summary:

Things progress...

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Disclaimers and Copyrights:
"Miami Vice" and its characters and situations are the creative and intellectual properties of Antony Yerkovich, Michael Mann and Michael Mann Productions. "Miami Vice" and its characters lovingly created by
Antony Yerkovich.
"A Study In Light" copyright elfin 1993.

Chapter Text


Tuesday morning:

"Morning, Sleepyhead," Sonny teased as Rico walked into the galley yawning. He gave the handle of his gun one more wipe with the soft cloth and put it back into the leather holster. He had been up for over an hour now, too anxious to sleep until his alarm had gone off. As tempting as it would have been to just lie there and watch his partner sleep, maybe cuddle a little, he had finally decided he should get up. Having taken a quick shower, Sonny occupied himself by doing a thorough cleaning and maintenance of his weapon. It had not been used in nearly six months and had been immersed in salt water from his fall off the docks. Fortunately, Stan had cleaned and oiled it the day after the shooting, when he had come by the St. Vitus to feed Elvis.

Rico rubbed his eyes and muttered "Coffee." He stumbled over to the coffee maker and poured himself a cup. Sonny smiled to himself. He had never realized just how badly his partner sometimes needed caffeine in the mornings to get going until he had been discharged from the hospital. Sonny leaned back and took a sip from his own mug.

After downing nearly three-quarters of his first cup, Rico was finally becoming more alert. He saw that Sonny had been cleaning and oiling his weapon. Well, they were scheduled to go to the firing range today. "Ummm.... You know, Partner," Rico started, "we're only supposed to go and *observe* today." He knew Sonny resented being coddled, but he knew that his partner was far more worried about this trip than he wanted to let on.

"Yeah, yeah." Sonny sighed. "I know. I was just cleaning it. Seeing if it felt right, ya know." He deliberately flexed his right hand and wrist. After a nearly a month's worth of therapy, his wrist and hand were nearly as flexible as they had been, although he still did not quite have all the strength back in it. It was going to be a challenge if it affected his accuracy in shooting.

"After work, I want to stop by the track and run. You want to do a quick take-out dinner afterwards or go out?" Sonny asked. Rico had been right. They had already been spending a great deal of time together before everything happened. Now one of the nicer differences was that they were no longer alone at the end of the evening. It was wonderful waking in the embrace of someone he loved. Besides, it gave him something to look forward to, a reward for going to the shooting range this morning. He had an army of butterflies in his stomach, whenever he paused to think too long about it.

"Why don't we play it by ear?" Rico set his cup down and studied Sonny. He could see the underlying tension. To break the mood a bit, he moved over next to his partner on the bench seat. "I may not feel like sharing you with anyone else by that time." He leaned in and captured his lover's ripe mouth.

The kiss was long, hot and sweet and served nicely to distract Sonny from his worries for a while. If they did not have to leave in such a short time, it might have led to something more. As it was, it was difficult to break it off. When they finally came up for air, Sonny licked his lips.

"Well, I *never* want to share you with anyone." He smiled wickedly. "But if you don't go get cleaned up, we're gonna be late."

By the time Rico had showered and dressed, Sonny had a quick breakfast ready for them. And then they were on the road in plenty of time for their scheduled session at the firing range. When Sonny pulled into the parking garage, the butterflies were back in full force. He was gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles were white. He mentally chastised himself. They were only going to the pistol range. It was not as if anyone would be pointing any weapons at him.

"You okay?" Rico was just sitting in the passenger seat watching as Sonny parked his Ferrari and turned the engine off. He found it difficult not to reach over and pull his partner into a reassuring hug.

"I'm fine." Sonny opened the door and pocketed his keys. "Let's go."

Minutes later, they entered the range. It was still early and there were not many people there yet. All the same, Sonny felt his heart race as he heard the shots being fired. He tried not to flinch. Taking a deep breath, he accepted the ear protection gear his partner handed him. They muffled the sound, making it almost bearable. Rico lead the way to the raised observation booth located at the back of the range.

Once in the booth, they could remove the ear protection. As he sat down, Sonny realized that he was sweating and it had nothing to do with the heat of the day. Shit. He had to get a handle on this fear that threatened to smother him.

Rico handed him a cup of coffee. They were alone in the booth. The range supervisor, Ken Gilbert, was giving some tips to one of the shooters. Sonny took a deep breath and finally looked at his partner. He tried a smile and it came out rather weak. "Thanks." He was thanking Rico for more than the coffee: for his quiet support, his understanding - for being there.

Sonny took a deep swallow of the coffee and nearly spat it out. "Uuuhhggh!!..." He screwed up his face. "This stuff is nearly toxic!" He had forgotten that Ken could not seem to make a decent cup of coffee. Rico stifled a snicker and cautiously sipped his. Well, with enough creamer and sugar in it, it was almost drinkable. But he noticed that Sonny was starting to calm and relax. So far, so good.

Pulling out a file from the briefcase he had dragged along, Rico commented: "I figured as long as we're here to soak up the atmosphere, we might as well keep ourselves occupied."

They were fully absorbed trying sort out the final report on a case that was now over seven months old when the door banged open about fifteen minutes later. Sonny jumped and his coffee cup went over. Sgt. Gilbert walked in heading toward his desk. "Hey, guys!" He paused near Sonny and held out his hand. "Glad to see you're back, Crockett."

Smiling, Sonny shook hands. "Good to be back, Ken." He picked up his overturned cup. "Good thing that was empty. Otherwise your brew would've eaten through the counter," he teased.

"Yeah, well, what do you think I use to clean the floor with around here?" He shook hands with Ricardo Tubbs as well. Gilbert was a greying veteran and used to the teasing about his coffee. He figured if it was that bad, people would not bother drinking it. He also knew why Crockett was so jumpy. "I saw on the schedule that you need to get recertified on the range. How long has it been since your gun was last fired?"

"Ummm.... close to six months, I guess."

Gilbert moved over to his desk. "Look, why don't you bring it in tomorrow and I'll do a thorough maintenance on it. Okay?" He knew this would give Crockett another morning of just being there, absorbing the atmosphere, the sights and sounds, without having to shoot.

Even though Sonny had just done a cleaning of his gun, he knew Gilbert was the expert and it would not hurt to let him check it out. At Sonny's nod of agreement, Gilbert continued. "How's the wrist? I know you've got the doc's permission, but he's not the one who's gonna have a piece of metal kicking back in his hand." He moved over to his desk.

"It's fine." Sonny, of course, failed to mention that Fielding had wanted him to wait another week before attempting to shoot. God, he was tired of being mothered and protected.

Rico glanced at his watch. "Well, Partner," he began as he stood, "I've got to get to my desk. I'm expecting a call back on the Martens case that I've been checking out." He quickly gathered up the papers they had been studying.

"Yeah." Sonny checked the time and sighed. "I still haven't found my desk under all the piles of paper." He smiled and waved to Gilbert. "See ya in the morning."

By the time 5 pm arrived, Sonny was exhausted and yet all he had done was paperwork. He was still determined to increase his stamina so he went down to the department's gym and track. Rico joined him as he was doing some stretches.

A few minutes later they did a slow lap around the track to warm up. Then Sonny nodded as they both sped up. Rico outdistanced him in a short length of time. It would be a while yet before Sonny's speed returned to normal. For now, he was content to knocking a few seconds off his time every few days.

His partner had completed his three mile run and jogged a slow cool down lap as Sonny was walking out the last of his two miles. He was barely on his feet by the time he finished his own cool down routine. Jesus. Sonny shook his head. Well, at least he was not gasping for air and seeing spots in front of his eyes, like he had done after his first attempt to run.

Rico kept a close eye on Sonny. The man pushed himself relentlessly at times. His partner was in rush to get back to where he had been before the shooting. Rico shook his head. All he had to do was close his eyes and he could still see Sonny lying deathly pale, with a tube in his throat and IV and monitor lines running everywhere, in Recovery that first night. At times it seemed another lifetime ago, yet at other moments it seemed like yesterday.

Catching up to Sonny as he started towards the locker room, Rico heard one of the younger cops tease Sonny, "Hey, Crockett, you slowing down in your old age?" "Nah," Sonny returned. "Just letting you catch up to me, Dean." He grinned and headed into the locker room just ahead of Rico.

Rico knew that his partner really was exhausted because he did not even pause as Rico offered to drive. Sonny just tossed him the keys and settled wearily into the passenger seat of the Ferrari. Before they had even pulled out of the parking garage, Sonny was dozing.

Realizing that his partner was not up to eating out, Rico picked up the cell phone and at the next light dialed Mei Ling's, a Chinese restaurant near his house. Sonny did not even stir when Rico drove up to the restaurant to pick up their supper.

"Sonny," Rico paused. There was no reaction. He lightly shook his sleeping passenger's shoulder. "Sonny, we're home." Bleary green eyes tried to focus on him.

"Home?" Sonny sat up straighter and looked around. "I thought we were gonna get some dinner." He yawned, then sniffed. "I smell... Chinese?"

Rico grinned. "Yep. Already stopped and picked up supper at Mei Ling's. You were totally zoned, Partner." He grabbed the bag as they exited the car. "It does smell great though. I don't know about you, but I'm starved!"

Sonny's stomach chose that moment to growl loudly. "Guess I am, too." He grinned. He was hungry and the nap had helped to restore much of his energy.

They ate on the patio. After being stuck in the hospital for so long, Sonny took every opportunity to enjoy just being outside. And being with his partner.

Sonny sat on the edge of the patio listening to the waves and the gulls. He had kicked his shoes off already and had his feet dangling in the warm sand. When Rico returned from disposing of the empty containers and loading the dishwasher, he sat behind his friend and wrapped his arms around him.

Rico leaned forward and kissed the nape of his partner's neck. Sonny hummed in appreciation, wrapping his own arms over Rico's. When the last of the day's light disappeared, Sonny pulled one of Rico's hands to his lips and kissed the fingers and then the palm. He felt his partner's other arm tighten around him.

"Let's go to bed." Rico whispered. He stood up and offered a hand to help Sonny to his feet, maintaining the touch as they went inside. He led Sonny up to his bedroom. Once there, he enveloped Sonny with his arms and his mouth. He tasted so sweet and felt so good in his arms.

Sonny opened his mouth to Rico's tongue and sucked possessively on it. Carefully, he reached between them and started to unbutton his lover's shirt. Rico relaxed his hold a bit giving Sonny more room. They maintained the all-consuming contact between their mouths. As his fingers easily slipped the buttons free, Sonny caressed the dark skin that was revealed. He let his fingers tease Rico's nipples to rigid attention amidst the dark curly hair. Then he pushed the material off the broad shoulders.

Rico loosened his embrace long enough to shrug his shirt off, letting it fall to the floor. Finally, they pulled back from the kiss, both panting. Sonny's hands were still playing at his chest, so Rico decided his partner was now wearing far too many clothes.

He quickly slid the soft cotton material of the t-shirt off his lover's body. Tracing the muscles of the tanned, smooth chest, his hands trailed lower to the waistband of Sonny's trousers. His partner squirmed as Rico's fingers contacted a particularly sensitive spot. Smiling, he deliberately retraced that same area. Sonny gasped and tried to stop Rico's hands. Rico merely tickled his squirming partner even more. "You know, I've always wondered just *how* ticklish you were." This was going to be fun.

Trying to suppress the chuckles that were bubbling up, Sonny pleaded, "...huhhh... Rico, don't.... uhhh hahhhhhh,... stop tichhhi-" Rico could not help but laugh as he continued mercilessly to touch and tickle his sensitive friend. Sounding more like a little boy than a man, Sonny had started giggling and was trying to back away. His legs contacted the bed and the next thing he knew he was lying down and laughing helplessly.

Rico followed him down on the bed. His hands continued their light touches and strokes of his partner. Sonny was trying to curl up into a ball to give his tormentor less to tickle. It was not working. He was laughing too hard. In the end, he just batted weakly at Rico's hands and laughed until he cried.

Finally, when Sonny was reduced to gasping out weak chuckles and giggles, Rico stopped tickling and captured his lover's mouth like a hard won prize. Sonny was breathing raggedly from laughing but that changed quickly to arousal as Rico started to trail light kisses, nips and licks down his jaw and his neck. When Rico's mouth reached his nipples, Sonny moaned as he felt his cock straining against the material of his trousers. He shifted his hips trying to relieve the pressure.

Rico took a quick look down and was pleased to see the strained fabric. "So, Sonny," he looked into his partner's dilated eyes, "still want me to stop?" Sonny just blinked at him in confusion for a moment. Then he growled and pulled Rico forcefully into a hot, demanding kiss. He ran his hands down Rico's back to his pants. Quickly, Sonny slid a hand into them and fondled Rico's ass. It was Rico's turn to moan.

Both desperate to be touching skin to skin, they quickly helped each other out of their few remaining pieces of clothing. They lay with their limbs entwined enjoying the sensations, the warmth, as one or the other would move a bit to cause some friction. Rico resumed his journey down his partner's body with his mouth, delighting in the little whimpers and moans escaping Sonny's throat.

Rico dipped his tongue into Sonny's navel, sliding it in and out. Sonny moaned and moved his hips again. Just as Rico started moving farther along his partner's body, he felt Sonny jump and expel air explosively. Alarmed, he looked up, "Are you okay?" His partner blinked back at him with a hint of embarrassment in his eyes.

"I'm fin-UUHHH!" Sonny's body jolted again. Now, he looked distinctly embarrassed. "Really, I'mm-UUUHH fine."

Rico could not help himself. He snickered. When he saw the mixture of annoyance and embarrassment on his partner's face, he just laughed. Sonny had the hiccups!

"It's all *your* fa-UUHH-lt!" But Sonny could not maintain his mock anger. He joined his lover in the laughter, even as it was punctuated with periodic hiccups. Finally, as his hiccups subsided, Sonny leaned in for a long, leisurely kiss. They parted when yet another small hiccup bounced through. Rico smiled and hugged Sonny close.

"I've never before laughed like this with a lover..." Sonny relaxed against his friend, "in bed." Playfully, he poked Rico in the ribs. "And you know how much I *hate* to be tickled."

Rico captured Sonny's hands and rolled so that he was lying on top of his lover. "But I love it when you're at my mercy." His kiss was gentle, but demanding. Sonny eagerly sucked the invading tongue.

This time his strokes along his lover's body were sensual and arousing. Rico felt Sonny's cock pressing against his own. The sensation was wonderful. It seemed as though every time that he and Sonny made love was something new and fresh, but now also familiar and comfortable. He shifted his hips and their erections rubbed against each other.

"Uhhhhh...." Sonny moaned and moved his hips in turn causing more maddening friction between them. He thrust his tongue into Rico's mouth, tasting him. His partner still held his hands captive and somehow this only served to increase his appreciation of their actions. He was still at Rico's mercy and he loved it. He shuddered as the friction, the sensations between them built. Rico writhed and ground their erections together at an increasing pace. He moaned as the friction became unbearable. He did not think he could last much longer.

It was impossible to say who climaxed first. They broke their kiss as each cried out. They both shuddered as their orgasms peaked. As the last of the tremors subsided, Rico rolled to the side drawing Sonny with him. He looked into Sonny's eyes and felt he could drown in the love he saw there.

"Only you," Sonny whispered, "Rico. Only with you have I ever felt so loved and so safe when I am the most vulnerable.... I love you." With his now freed hand, he drew a finger lightly down his love's cheek.

Rico turned his head slightly and kissed the fingers still resting on his face. He looked back into Sonny's heavily lidded eyes. "I love *you*." His kissed his partner's lush mouth and pulled him into a tight embrace.

He could feel the weariness in Sonny's limbs. His partner was struggling to remain awake. He really needed to rest. "Look, let me get a towel and then we can get some sleep." Rico sat up carefully. "We've got another early day tomorrow."

"Hhmmm," was all Sonny could manage.

By the time, he returned from the bathroom with a damp towel, Sonny had lost the battle to stay awake. Rico quickly cleaned him up and the mess on the sheets. Then he slipped under the covers next to his partner. Sonny snuggled against him without waking. As he drifted off, his chin nestled in his partner's soft blond hair, Rico thought of how perfect it all seemed.

**************************************************

Thursday, early evening:

Rico was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher when he heard the crash followed by a curse. "You all right out there?" He grabbed a dishtowel and snagged the broom as he headed for the patio. When he opened the screen door, he saw that Sonny was crouched down trying to sweep broken glass together using a napkin. "Here, let me do that, Partner."

"I'm sorry. I dropped one of the water glasses." Sonny looked embarrassed and apologetic as he stood. "I don't know what happened. I picked it up and, as I turned, it just slipped."

Rico reached for Sonny's hand. "Did you cut yourself?"

"No, I'm fine."

He was relieved to see there was no blood, but he heard Sonny draw in a quick breath as he touched it. When he looked closer, he noticed his partner's right hand and wrist were slightly swollen. "Sonny?"

"It's nothing." He tried to pull his hand away and hissed in pain when Rico did not release it. He had been trying to ignore it all afternoon.

Rico and Ken Gilbert had discretely retreated to the observation booth. Sonny methodically loaded his gun. Letting the routine carry him through, he was no longer panicked by the sounds of the shots in the range, now he was just worried that he had lost his touch. He released the safety; gripped it tightly in his right hand; supported his wrist with his left and aimed.

The first shot missed the black silhouette completely catching the top edge of the sheet. The recoil made him wince as his wrist let him know that it was not as well healed as he had thought. Ignoring the sudden ache, he aimed again and carefully squeezed the trigger. This shot caught the top edge of the target's head. The third shot drilled directly through the heart of the target. He finished the clip and found the remaining shots all in the center of the kill zone.

He turned and saw Rico give him a 'thumbs up' sign from the booth. Sonny grinned. Loading the second clip, Sonny proceeded to empty it right on target as well. Unfortunately, by that time, his wrist was really starting to ache. He fired the final clip a little more slowly, trying to find a position for his wrist where the recoil did not jar it as badly.

Ken reminded Sonny that one more session was needed for full recertification and they scheduled it for the following Monday. Tired of everyone being overly concerned about his health, especially Rico, Sonny did not mention the ache in his wrist as they headed up to OCB.

While his partner was in the file room pulling information to put the final touches on yet another report, Sonny dug around in his desk and found a bottle of ibuprofen. Quickly, he downed three caplets with the last of his cold coffee. He still had the pain-killers prescribed for his back, but he hated the way they dulled his senses and thinking. He rarely used them, preferring to just live with whatever discomfort he still suffered.

By the time they headed out for lunch, Sonny had pretty much forgotten the ache in his wrist. He and Rico discussed plans for the weekend. They decided to play it by ear - maybe they would stay home or maybe they would go out or maybe they would take the St. Vitus out for a sail - whatever appealed. It was difficult to believe he had actually been back at work for almost a week now. Of course, he still had half a mountain of paperwork to catch up on.

On the other hand, Rico was fairly well caught up on his own paperwork because he had been coming in on so many mornings during the later part of Sonny's hospitalization. Starting on Monday, he and Stan were to be temporarily partnered as they did some digging into South American connections with some new suppliers/dealers that had been appearing on the streets.

Sonny found that he was jealous of Stan. Not because he was worried about any sort of attraction between Rico and Stan, but because Sonny wanted to be the one out there working with Rico, covering his back, being his work partner again. God, he hated being on restricted duty.

Seven weeks. At the minimum, it would be seven more weeks before Sonny would be cleared for full duty status. Fielding had been absolutely adamant about that. Sonny could not be fully reinstated until he passed the psych evaluation with DeLelo, was recertified on the firing range *and* passed a final physical exam. By Monday afternoon, he would have completed the firing range requirements. And on the following Wednesday he was to start the first of four weekly sessions with DeLelo.

In the meantime, Sonny would be doing paperwork and maybe some research for Rico and other fellow officers. He also planned to spend a lot of time in the gym, running and swimming to increase his stamina. He could not believe that he still tired so easily.

The effects of the ibuprofen had mostly worn off as they left the office that evening. Rico had driven that morning, so Sonny just ignored it and settled into the passenger seat. Besides, his wrist was not aching as badly now.

But when he had grabbed the glasses to help clear the patio table of their supper dishes, his hand had simply been unable to hold onto them tightly. Dammit. Now, Rico was going to be fussing over him again.

"It's not nothing." Rico was staring hard at his partner, clearly annoyed that Sonny would try to hide his injury. "This is from this morning, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but it's only a little sore," Sonny tried to placate Rico. "It'll be fine in the morning."

Rico shook his head. He knew Sonny was really chafing at being 'coddled' by everyone. But he could not let this slip by. "Sonny, if you don't get this checked out, Ken won't let you do the second round to get recertified." He looked directly into his friend's eyes. "I'll make certain of that."

Sonny sighed. Rico was right and his whole hand was starting to throb now that the ibuprofen was completely out of his system. Shit.

His partner stepped inside and grabbed the cordless phone.

Ninety minutes later, Bri walked into the examination room carrying a set of x-rays. Sonny had a coldpack resting on his right hand and wrist. He and Rico both looked up at the doctor. "Well, I've got some good news and some bad news, Sonny."

"Let's hear the bad news first," Sonny sighed. He had really hoped not to see the inside of the hospital again until he was due in for his final physical in about six weeks.

"You've got a couple of badly strained ligaments in your wrist. It appears related to the damage that Strohe caused. The recoil of your gun over-stressed them." He saw the disgusted look in his patient's eyes.

Sonny sighed again. "And the good news?"

"In the long run, this won't affect your getting back to full duty status." He saw Rico squeeze Sonny's undamaged hand in encouragement. "I've got a brace I want you to wear this weekend. Starting on Monday, you only need to wear it when you're shooting. You'll also need to resume doing the strengthening exercises. By the time you're due to go back on active duty, it should no longer be necessary for the brace or the exercises. The ligaments should be healed." Bri rummaged around one of the cabinets and pulled out an elastic hand and wrist brace with a metal support in it. He helped Sonny put it on.

Bri was relieved that this was really very minor. When Rico had called him earlier, he had been about to leave the hospital for the evening. His heart had skipped a beat when he had heard Rico's voice on his direct line, worrying that something major had happened to Sonny. When had Rico explained about Sonny's hand, Bri could have practically diagnosed it without the formality of the x-rays. But he had told Rico to bring Sonny in to the hospital. Meanwhile, he would alert the x-ray department.

He shook his head. Sonny had been so insistent on going ahead with getting recertified. Maybe he should have ordered him to wait a few more weeks. When the brace was on, Bri handed Sonny a prescription. "This is for 500 mg tablets of ibuprofen. I want you to take two tablets three times a day for the next three days, then one tablet twice daily until the prescription runs out. This will bring down the swelling and help with the pain."

Bri turned to Rico. "And make certain he eats when he takes the tablets. Okay?" Rico nodded and smirked at Sonny's exasperated sigh.

A happy, tanned Sonny with his hair blowing in the wind was piloting the St. Vitus Dance out of the harbor. Rico was content to just watch his lover. The sun was bright and warm and the breeze was cool and comforting....

He woke abruptly when Sonny muttered indistinctly. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, he saw that Sonny's head was resting on his chest. He heard his partner mumble something, then shift restlessly. Rico gently stroked Sonny's head and back.

Rico would have given anything to make all of his partner's nightmares go away. Their frequency had lessened in the weeks since Sonny's discharge from the hospital, but they had not gone away completely. He smiled when he felt Sonny relax and settle against him. Maybe when his partner spoke with DeLelo the last of the his fears could be faced and conquered or at least understood.

He looked down at the brace on Sonny's wrist. It was so unfair. His partner just could not seem to get a break. Rico placed a soft kiss on Sonny's head. Well, at least this was a minor set back. Closing his eyes, Rico let himself drift off to the sounds of Sonny's even breathing.

**************************************************

Friday morning

Rico woke to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. He opened his eyes to see a smiling Sonny holding a mug of steaming coffee under his nose. "Time to rise and shine, Partner."

He groaned and reached for the mug. Rico had found it difficult to believe how much of a morning person Sonny was. Now that his partner was nearly back to full health, it was rare indeed for him to sleep in. He seemed to prefer getting up early. Rico had lost track of the number of times over the last month or so he had barely been conscious in the morning and had found that Sonny had been up, showered, dressed and had greeted the rising sun with a mug of coffee in hand. It was disgusting.

As he struggled to sit up, Rico realized, not for the first time, that it did have its advantages, though. It meant that now on most mornings, he awoke to already brewed coffee, instead of struggling to make a pot with half-closed eyes. Ahhh, that first swallow went down well.

"Ummm, thanks." He looked at his lover. Sonny's hair was still damp from his shower and he was already dressed. Rico took another long drink. "So how's the wrist this morning?"

Sonny flexed his hand in the brace. "A little stiff, but the ibuprofen helped." Before Rico could ask, he continued. "And yeah, I had some toast when I took the pills."

Rico reached for Sonny's injured hand and carefully pulled the hand up to his lips and kissed the fingers. "I love you, Sonny." He looked up into Sonny's beautiful eyes. "I would do anything for you... except let you hurt yourself." They leaned close and kissed.

It was a sweet kiss - full of love and apologies and hope for the future. Rico pulled Sonny closer, wishing that they did not have to go to work today. It would be lovely to just spend the day in bed together. The kiss became hotter, more demanding.

Finally, Sonny managed to pull away to look into Rico's eyes. "I love you, Rico. And as much as I want to make love with you right here, right now, we have to be at work too soon." He had to use every bit of self-control to not just jump into the bed with his lover immediately. But it would have to be a 'quickie' and with Rico he found he believed in forever.

He placed a warm kiss on Rico's hand that was still holding his wrist with the brace. "But we have tonight and then the weekend...." Sonny smiled wickedly. "Who knows - we may never get dressed the entire weekend." He practically purred, causing Rico to lick his lips.

Rico took a quick *cold* shower.

Castillo opened his office door and motioned to Sonny, "Crockett, a word, please." Sonny nodded and joined his boss in his office. He glanced back at his partner's empty desk. Rico had gone down to the records room, in search of a file that had gone 'missing'.

"Please, have a seat." Castillo indicated the chair in front of his desk as he sat. He studied his detective for a moment. Sonny looked healthy now - except for the wrist brace. "What happened?"

Sonny sighed. "It's nothing. Just a couple of strained ligaments." He flexed his fingers to demonstrate he could still use his hand. "It'll be fine by Monday, when I get recertified."

"Okay." Castillo nodded. "So how are you doing?"

"I'm doin' great." Sonny smiled. "Getting back into the swing of things. Although I think I'm drowning in a sea of paperwork."

"You're scheduled to meet with DeLelo next week. Right?" Sonny nodded. "And your final physical is scheduled in about six weeks." He saw the look in Sonny's eyes. "Don't push it, Sonny. You've made a remarkable recovery so far." He stared down the look of exasperation in the younger man.

"Besides I figure it'll take most of that time just for you to get caught up on all your paperwork. In the meantime, you can do research and follow ups." He almost smiled at the look of dismay on Sonny's face. But he knew that a lot of what bothered Sonny had nothing to do with paperwork. "Don't worry, Sonny. Rico's your partner and as soon as you're ready you'll be out there with him."

Martin Castillo really wanted to ask exactly what the status of the relationship between his two senior detectives was but something told him he was better off not knowing officially. Thus far there had been no evidence of personal considerations affecting their work - so for now he would just let it slide by. He was also curious exactly what had happened at Cintaro's Dome, but again it just did not seem to be the right time to ask. "In the meantime, when you get to the paperwork on the Gaetano case, I'd like to-" His phone rang, interrupting him.

"Castillo." After listening for a moment, placing one hand over the receiver, he waved Sonny out of the office, "No rush, Sonny. But when you do get to the Gaetano case I want to review it with you." Sonny nodded and left.

When five o'clock finally arrived, Sonny was more than ready to leave the office. His wrist was aching again, in spite of the brace and ibuprofen - too much typing. He stretched his back out as he stood. Rico watched appreciatively. He teased. "So, Partner, which is tougher - chasing the bad guys or writing about chasing the bad guys?"

Sonny threw a pen at his partner. "Come on. Let's get out of here."

"Had any brainstorms about what you'd like to do this weekend? They're calling for rain," Rico asked as they waited for a traffic light to change. Sonny was driving the Ferrari, letting the purr of its engine soothe him after a long day of office tedium. They were headed for the St. Vitus. He needed to check on the boat and feed Elvis today. And they would probably spend the night there.

"Not really," Sonny pressed the accelerator as the light changed to green. "Figured we'd stop at the market near the marina, pick up fish for Elvis and a couple of steaks to grill for us tonight." Checking his mirrors, he signaled to change lanes. "Billy's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks so I need to find a present for him. I talked to Caroline this afternoon...."

Sonny's voice trailed off as he concentrated on making another lane change in the heavy rush-hour traffic. "How are she and Billy?" Rico asked.

"They're doin' great." Sonny smiled at his partner and turned his attention back to the traffic. "As a matter of fact, we discussed the idea of me visiting and taking Billy to Six Flags for a day as part of his birthday present." Now he paused and glanced at this partner. "I was kind of wonderin' if you'd consider going along with me for the trip? Billy likes you and Caroline already considers you part of the family."

"Sounds great." Then Rico asked, "Ummm, Sonny, do they know about us?... I mean, is it going to be a problem for them?" He was suddenly unsure whether this was a good idea.

"Well, I think that Caroline had some suspicions about us after my last trip to Atlanta," Sonny reassured his friend. "She didn't seem surprised that I wanted you to come along. I was hoping to explain everything to them when I got there." He reached for Rico's hand and squeezed it. "If you're not comfortable about this, Rico, you don't have to come. I understand." He really did want Rico to come. They'd shared so much over the years of their partnership and now with this new, more intense relationship that Sonny wanted to share this part of his life with his partner. But he also did not want to push things....

"I'd love to come along, Sonny." Rico smiled back now. "I just didn't want to make things awkward if they didn't know or didn't like the idea of us. You know?" He watched Sonny negotiating through the crush of cars. It almost seemed like a dream. Only six months ago, he never would have thought it possible that he and Sonny would be a couple much less making plans to spend a weekend with his partner's son.

It was early when Sonny awoke; dawn was still at least a half an hour away. He felt the comforting warmth of Rico's presence behind him. This was nice, not waking alone in an empty bed. His partner stirred and his arm came to rest over Sonny's side, as if to draw him closer. Sonny slid his own hand over the dark hand and arm.

Sonny was amazed at how well, how easily they had adapted their lifestyles for this relationship over the weeks since returning from St. Andrew's. Almost without discussing it, they had taken to spending the nights during the week alternately at each other's home. Weekends were spent wherever was the most convenient for their plans or lack of plans. Sonny smiled to himself. He was tempted to make good on his threat to not let either of them wear clothes for the entire weekend.

It had been raining the previous evening when they finally got back to the St. Vitus' Dance and the weather forecast called for rain all weekend. He could hear the rumble of a distant storm and the soft splatter of rain against the deck above them. The air was cool, so he snuggled back against his partner and pulled the covers higher over them. Sonny sighed. Yesterday had been Rico's last day of 'desk duty'. Starting on Monday, he would be out on the streets with Stan. With the change in their daytime schedules, Sonny hoped that at least their nights would still be shared.

He felt Rico shift closer, and when he did Sonny became aware of his partner's morning erection pressing against him. He felt his own cock twitch. What a wonderful sensation....

Sonny rocked his hips causing Rico's cock to rub against his backside. Rico muttered something in his sleep, but did not waken. Smiling into the semi-darkness of the cabin, Sonny reached back and carefully caressed the length of his partner's erection. It still amazed him how big Rico was. Having his partner inside him made Sonny feel so fulfilled - so complete.

He continued his gentle strokes and again moved his hips. The friction was almost painful in its intensity. Rico moaned, his breathing becoming ragged under Sonny's ministrations. Once again, he deliberately rubbed his ass against his partner's stiffened cock. Oh god, that felt good.

Finally, he felt Rico's arms wrap around him. "mmm.... My god, Love.... You're insatiable.... And you're driving me insane with your tight sweet ass wriggling against me." His partner kissed his neck and lightly bit his shoulder as he reached around and lovingly caressed and fondled Sonny's balls and aching cock.

Sonny groaned and arched his back, pushing himself into the hand that was stroking him so well. As he settled back, Sonny felt the moist, heat of Rico's cock sliding against him. "Please, Rico...." He pleaded. He wanted to feel Rico inside him, *needed* to feel his partner. Somehow, when they were joined in this most intimate way, Sonny felt so loved and safe that he could never get enough of it. He was complete. "Please...."

He felt his own cock straining as Rico's hand brushed it a few more times. His partner's other hand had snaked around from underneath him to tease and lightly pinch Sonny's nipples to rigid attention. "...uuuugggh... ahhhhhaaaaah!...."

Rico loved the sounds that escaped from Sonny as they made love. The soft sighs and whimpers, the loud moans and cries of pleasure and yells of ecstasy from his lover - all served to push Rico towards greater heights in his own bliss as well as doing all he could to please his partner. And Sonny had certainly found an interesting way to wake him this morning!

He felt Sonny shifting against him, causing a friction that could not be ignored. Rico moved away from his partner and Sonny whimpered at the loss of contact. "Shhhh." Rico stroked Sonny's back and side. Then he reached into the nightstand and pulled out a foil packet. Quickly he unrolled the condom over his throbbing cock and slathered more lubricant over the latex.

Sonny had realized what Rico was doing and rolled to his stomach presenting his ass to his lover, moaning when his erection rubbed against the sheets. "Please, Rico.... I need you.... I... ahhhhhhhhhh...." Whatever he had been about to say was lost as Rico's fingers slick with lubricant teased his hole.

Rico loved it when Sonny was this aroused. His lover was at his mercy, unable to even think clearly. He let his fingers tease and push at the ring of tightly clenched muscle. His finger slipped in easily and he felt Sonny's muscle trying to contract and push at it. Carefully, he added a second finger and slid them in and out as he heard Sonny grunt and moan.

He nearly came as he heard the throaty cry escape his lover when Rico pushed in a third finger and rubbed lightly over Sonny's prostate. His partner bucked wildly, nearly dislodging the fingers playing inside him. Then he thrust himself back toward Rico. Smiling, Rico pulled his hand away and guided his straining cock to the entrance of Sonny's body.

When Sonny felt the cock ready to enter, he shoved back trying to impale himself. Rico grabbed his lover's hips, steadying him; then, as he started to lean forward to enter Sonny's ass, he reached around under his partner's sweating, shaking body and caressed his cock. "AAAAaaahhhhhgggah!...."

Rico slipped into Sonny's ass as the cry escaped and his love's shout became a keening wail. Sonny pushed back and Rico was buried to his balls in him. He was so tight, so hot - Rico knew it would not be long before he came. It amazed him how little control he had when he made love with Sonny. No other lover he had ever had drove him so wild with passion. The heat of their movements drove any other thought from him.

He shoved into Sonny, moaning with each thrust. Barely capable of thought, he continued the movement of his hips as he teased Sonny's quivering cock. Abruptly, Sonny's sphincter muscles spasmed and he felt his lover's cock jerking as the orgasm started and his hand was covered in cream. "Ah, gaaagod.... Rico!! ahhhhhh!..."

The sound of his named shouted by Sonny, the clenching muscles grasping and pushing at his erection drove Rico over the edge, his own orgasm tearing through him - nearly painful in its extremity. Sonny shuddered one last time and collapsed forward, still moaning, as Rico continued to shove into him with the last of his orgasm. Finally, he settled against Sonny's back still sheathed in his lover.

When he started to roll, to relieve Sonny of his weight, he felt his lover grasp his hands. "No, please. Don't move." Sonny whispered. "I love it when we're together this way. It feels so wonderful. I wish we could stay like this forever." After a minute or two, he felt Sonny shift and Rico's cock slipped out. Rico rolled to the side and Sonny turned to face him.

Rico reached a hand to Sonny's cheek, feeling the wetness there. "I love you, Sonny. That is forever." In the pre-dawn light now filtering in, Rico saw his partner smile softly, the love shining in his eyes. He turn to kiss the hand on his face.

"I love you more than I ever thought possible." He brought his hand up to cover Rico's. "And it only seems to get stronger every day."

**************************************************

Tuesday night Finally, Sonny thought, wood - not paperwork! He could, at last, see the surface of his desk. It was nearly midnight, and Rico was still not back from his meeting with Izzy. Sonny sighed. He should really go home. He glanced at the clock. 11:15. He heard the outside doors open and voices in the hallway.

Stan and Rico wandered into OCB Vice and Stan collapsed into his chair. At the sound of someone moving in the other half of the office, he looked up. Sonny was sitting at his desk, smiling at him. "Hard day?"

Stan nodded. "Criminals, who needs them!"

The door swung open a second time and Rico breezed in. He saw Sonny and could not stop the smile on his face. "Hey, Partner. What are you still doing here?" Rico sat down at his desk, his eyes silently asking his lover if he was okay.

Sonny answered that he was. What he said was, "I was just making sure you two came back safe and sound."

Stan dragged himself out of his chair and headed out for the vending machine. As soon as he had gone, Sonny reached his hand across the desk, and Rico took it. "Is everything okay?"

Sonny nodded. "I was about to go home. I wanted to wait for you. I thought, maybe you'd be wanting a lift after your hard day." He smiled, mischievously. "Maybe a night being rocked to sleep by the ocean...."

Rico grinned. "That sounds wonderful."

They were talking quietly when Stan returned. He wandered over to their desks and planted two coffees down in front of them. He let the smile creep across his face as he saw their still-joined hands. Realizing what he had seen, Sonny immediately let go of his partner and pulled back. Too late. He looked tentatively over at Stan. "Er...."

But Stan was grinning now. "S'okay. Rico said a few things while you were in surgery. I think we all sorta guessed, you know, what with Rico not actually leaving the hospital for three weeks." Sonny still looked embarrassed. "It's okay. Really. I don't think Gina's convinced yet, but Trudy thinks it's sweet."

Sonny blushed. Rico smiled. "Why hasn't anyone said anything?"

Stan took a sip of his coffee. "What do you expect us to say? I am surprised Castillo hasn't had a few quiet words with the two of you, but after everything that's happened...." Stan pulled his chair up to their desks. He looked from Sonny to Rico and back. "Really, you do make a cute couple." Sonny blushed, ineffectually striking out with his hand to gently slap Stan's arm.

"Cut it out!"

Rico was smiling at the effect Stan had had on his partner. "Sonny, ashamed of me?"

Sonny's head snapped up. "No. God, no...." But as he looked into Rico's face he saw the mirth there. He fell silent. He was tired. Too tired to play this game. And he wanted to take Rico home and feel his warmth against his own body.

Rico could read the exhaustion in his lover's eyes and posture. He stood, leaving his coffee untouched. He turned to Stan. "You mind if we take off?"

Stan shook his head. "Of course not! Jeez, we have to be back here in eight hours as it is!" He watched Sonny grab the car keys from beside his phone and follow Rico out. "Sonny?"

He stopped at the office door and turned back. "Ummm?"

"I'm glad you and Rico are happy. Really. You've both been through so much, and you've helped me through so much. It means a lot to see you smile."

Sonny's expression warmed. "Thanks, Stan. I really appreciate that."

Stan nodded. The moment passed and Sonny hurried to catch up with his partner. Stan sat in the quiet of the office, his emotions mixed up. He often missed Lare. Not as much as he used to - time healed slowly. But seeing Rico and Sonny starting out on a path he knew deep down would be a long and happy one made him long for someone just to care for him.

It was over an hour later before he shook himself out of his reverie and left for home.

**************************************************

Wednesday

"Come in, Sonny." He was greeted by Mike DeLelo with a warm handshake and a smile. "Have a seat." DeLelo motioned to a chair and moved to sit on the edge of his desk facing his visitor. "You're looking good. How're you doing?"

"I'm doing great, Mike." Sonny sat, trying to look composed and calm. "Sorry about the mix up at the hosp-" The phone rang and interrupted him. DeLelo reached over and picked up the receiver.

"DeLelo." After a few moments, he stood and put his hand over the mouthpiece, "Sorry. This should only take a couple of minutes." He moved around his desk and sat. Pulling out a file, he starting making notes. "Yes. I know.... I've done the preliminary already.... Right...."

Meanwhile, Sonny looked around the office. Books lined the wall behind the desk. Diplomas and certificates covered side walls. He sighed. As much as he liked Mike DeLelo as a friend, he had no desire to be here for his psych evaluation. Christ, he had not even done anything wrong this time.

Being shot by a goddamned drug dealer, one who was now trying to claim he had only fired in self-defense, and then being attacked by an insane IAD guy should not mean that *he* needed his head examined. After four months in the hospital, he had had his privacy invaded; his dignity and pride severely beaten. His head was one of the few areas he still considered private.

He was not stupid. He knew that there was some psychological scarring from all the trauma of the past few months. Hell, if he had needed confirmation about that, he had gotten it the first time he walked onto the pistol range. But at the same time, he just did not see how talking to DeLelo was going to solve all his problems. Sonny felt that facing his fears was the best way to overcome them. He glanced back to Mike and saw that the psychiatrist had pulled out yet another file and was scribbling notes on the manilla cover. Sonny wondered idly what Rico and Stan were doing.

It had seemed weird on Monday morning to be driving separate cars in to work, but it was only practical. Sonny was still on restricted duty with relatively regular hours, while Rico had been paired with Stan and gone back to the notoriously irregular hours of the vice squad.

Sonny was not looking forward to whole days of paperwork while Rico was out on the streets tracking down information on a new drug source. During the previous week it seemed that just looking up to see Rico's head bent over the latest report was all that made it bearable. It had also helped to think about spending the evening with his partner and now lover. Rico had promised to stop by the boat if it was not too late in the evenings when he knocked off for the day. Sonny had had to bite his tongue to not beg him to come by no matter the hour.

But at least, Sonny was slowly making progress toward full reinstatement. His first stop of the day had been the firing range. Wearing the wrist brace Bri had given him Sonny easily passed the final round of certification. Ken Gilbert had been distracted by the new group of academy recruits in for their first day at the pistol range, but he had given Sonny a pat on the back when he was finished. "Nice shooting, Crockett."

Well, one obstacle down and two to go.

Sonny was snapped back to the present when DeLelo finally hung up the phone. "Sorry about that." He stood and walked over to the small coffee maker in the corner. "Would you like a cup?"

"Sure."

DeLelo poured two cups. "You take it black, right?" At Sonny's nod, he handed him the brew. For himself, he added a spoonful of dry creamer and stirred the mix as he returned to his desk. "So how do you like being back to the grind?"

Sonny took a quick sip. "It seems strange, but good." He smiled, but then shook his head. "I *finally* found out what color the top of my desk is - yesterday. I stayed a little late and got through the last of the old reports and updates."

DeLelo chuckled. "Yeah, so much for the 'paper-less' workplace. Seems all we do now is generate even more reports to be printed, copied and filed." He studied the man in front of him. Sonny did look well, if still a little thin. And he moved almost with his old grace. DeLelo was also well aware that Sonny was none too pleased to have to pass a psych eval to get back on the job. "So I understand that after you were discharged from the hospital, you and Rico took a trip to the islands?"

Sonny smiled and nodded, explaining about the beach house on St. Andrew's....

They spent the rest of the session just chatting. DeLelo looked at his watch. "Well, I've got to go over to the courthouse in a few minutes." He stood up and took the now empty cups over to the corner. They shook hands as Sonny stood. "I'll see you next week at the same time. And Sonny, I am really glad you're back and looking so well. You gave us all quite a scare."

"Thanks, Mike." Sonny left for his own desk. He shook his head, perplexed. He still did not see how talking about the trip to the islands was going to indicate whether he was mentally fit for duty. There was a note waiting for him on his desk.

'Sonny,

Don't worry. I'll come by the St. Vitus when we knock off. If it's early enough, maybe we can do dinner. Otherwise, if it's going to be late, I'll call and warn you. Don't wait up, okay? I'll be there when you wake.

L, R'

He smiled and put the note in his pocket. Still smiling, Sonny pulled the top file from the pile in front of him and started reading. Maybe today wasn't going to be as bad as he had thought.

Sonny had been immensely relieved when, on late Monday afternoon, Rico and Stan had returned to the office. The day had been very long without Rico nearby. It was all Sonny could do to restrain himself from hugging Rico in relief when the two had dragged themselves in.

They had decided to leave Rico's car in the parking garage and take Sonny's Ferrari back to Rico's house. He drove quickly to the beach house. As soon as the ignition was off, they reached for each other.

The kiss was soft and very long, filled with relief and joy at just being together. Pulling away slowly, Rico saw his love reflected in Sonny's sea-green eyes. "Let's go inside where we'll be more comfortable and have more privacy." He glanced to the neighboring houses. No one seemed to be around, but just then, he did not feel like sharing his partner with anyone.

They were barely in the house when Rico felt himself being pushed back against the just-closed door. Sonny's mouth was hot and commanding as it covered his. His partner's tongue invaded his willing mouth. He sucked possessively on it. Sonny tasted so sweet.

It had been a very long day running down dead-end leads. Being back on the streets talking to contacts just was not the same without Sonny by his side. Stan was a great guy and a good cop as well, but he just wasn't Sonny. More than once, Rico had turned to make some comment to his partner only find that it was Stan sitting next to him. God, the next seven weeks were going to be an eternity.

And as practical as it was for them to drive separate cars because of the differing schedules, he really could not bear the thought of returning to an empty house at night. So when Stan had suggested that they take a break and start fresh in the morning, Rico had readily agreed. He could hardly wait to see his partner and prayed that they would get back before Sonny left for the day.

Rico slid his hands down Sonny's back pulling his partner's body against his. He felt the growing bulge in the front of Sonny's trousers. Sonny had already slid Rico's suit jacket off and was working on the shirt buttons. Rico returned the favor. In short order, without even breaking their kiss, both men were naked in Rico's entranceway.

Finally, Sonny pulled his mouth away. His eyes were dark in their arousal and his breathing uneven. "God, I missed you." He tugged an unresisting Rico after him farther into the house. "Come on. Let's go somewhere more comfortable." Sonny practically purred the comment.

They made it as far as the den before they starting kissing again. Luckily, there was a large sofa. They collapsed upon it - maintaining this marathon kiss. Each softly stroked the other's back, for the moment just reveling in their closeness.

Sonny finally pulled back far enough to look at his lover's face. He could see the love, the longing and the desire burning in the depths of Rico's eyes. Rico drew his tongue across his lower lip as he pulled in a long breath. Sonny studied him - memorizing, yet again, his partner's face. Maybe if he could pull up these precious images of Rico at will, the day would pass more quickly while they were separated.

It was terrifying to realize the depth of his need, his love for Rico. It was as if he were no longer complete without his partner nearby. This love was so different from any he had ever experienced in the past. This was not just the joining of two bodies. This was the joining of two hearts and two souls - making them complete and whole; stronger than when they were separate. - He would never give this up. This was something he would fight to the death for.

Their erections brushed against each other and the friction was almost unbearable. Sonny leaned in for another sweet, hot kiss as his hand roamed downward. Rico's cock was hard, yet so silky, soft against his hand. He felt his partner shudder at the touch. Brushing his fingertips along its length, he felt the wetness already there.

Rico's eyes were closed. He was lost in the sensation, the need. Sonny smiled and started to kiss his way down his partner's body. Taking his time, placing a multitude of small kisses and nips and licks along the way, his hand continuing its gentle stroking of the large, quivering cock of his lover.

Finally, his mouth reached Rico's groin and that lovely glistening cock. He moved his hands to his partner's ass, stroking the firm cheeks. Sonny licked the length of Rico's erection and heard his partner moan. He was writhing sensuously, unable to remain still under the assault of Sonny's hands and mouth.

Not wanting to waste a drop of the wetness dribbling from the tip of Rico's cock, Sonny thoroughly laved its entire length. He felt Rico's hands on his shoulders encouraging him to do more. He nuzzled Rico's balls inhaling the musky scent of his lover as he pulled them into his mouth.

Rico cried out, his body bucking upwards. Sonny nearly lost his hold. Gently, he soothed his lover's ass and hips with his hands. Then, tilting Rico's hips, Sonny gently parted the cheeks and started to kiss his way back towards the entrance. When he reached it, Sonny flicked his tongue against the bud.

Again, Rico bucked wildly, thrusting himself toward the teasing, wet mouth. "Aaaaahhhggg!...."

Sonny glanced up to see the tension in the throbbing cock above him. He smiled and stroked the erection, gathering some of the liquid to lubricate his fingers. Then he moved his mouth to the tip of Rico's cock.

As he pushed his fingers against the tight ring of muscle, he lowered his mouth over the tip of his partner's cock. Rico pushed upwards and Sonny's fingers slipped into his ass. "Gaahhh...." Rico yelled.

Sonny smiled. It was not going to take long. Rico was so beautiful in his arousal, so tempting. And he was so close to the edge. He pulled as much of Rico's cock into his mouth as he could as he pushed his fingers deeper into his ass. Sonny pulled back slowly with both his mouth and fingers. Rico whimpered.

After only a few moments of sucking and thrusting, Sonny lowered his mouth down as far as he could on Rico's cock and as he pulled back he trailed his teeth lightly over it. At the same moment, he pushed his fingers further in and rubbed Rico's prostate.

A feral yelled ripped from his partner's throat and Sonny's mouth was filled with cream. He swallowed quickly and continued to rub that intimate gland. When the last of Rico's seed was released to his partner's demanding mouth, Sonny gently removed his fingers and then licked up whatever had escaped down the softening cock. He felt Rico relax into the cushions.

Rico pulled him up into a gentle kiss. "Thank you. I missed you, too." He tasted himself in his partner's mouth. God, that had felt so good. Now he felt Sonny's still rigid cock resting against his thigh. He let his hands stroke down Sonny's back and then sides. Then he rolled the two of them so that they were face to face on their side.

Sonny moaned when Rico touched his aching cock. As good as it had been to give Rico so much pleasure, he was now getting desperate for release. "Oh, god.... Rico...." He pushed himself towards his partner.

Rico smiled and let his hands begin a slow intimate exploration of his partner. Massaging and stroking Sonny's throbbing erection and turgid balls, he watched as Sonny closed his eyes and groaned, no longer capable of speech. Gently, with one hand still massaging Sonny's balls, Rico trailed a finger up the straining erection. Circling the tip, spreading the pre-cum, he teased the hole with a fingertip.

Sonny jumped, pushing himself into the hands that were the cause of this sweet torment. He was panting and clutching at his partner's arms. "...ah... ahhhhg...gahhhhhhhhhhh...." Using the moisture as lubricant, Rico began pumping Sonny's cock, ever so slowly at first, then building in speed. As he felt the tension rising in his lover's body, he moved his fingers back from massaging Sonny's balls towards his asshole. When he teased the bud there with a gentle fingertip, Sonny cried out. Rico leaned down and lightly nipped a nipple. Moments later, Sonny's orgasm crashed through as he cried out again. He shuddered against his partner, ribbons of his essence hitting both of them. As the last of his spasms passed, Rico pulled him into a tight embrace.

Another note left on Sonny's desk that afternoon had told Sonny, "I'll meet you at the boat - Stan said he'd drop me off when we finish. L, R."

Stan turned the car onto the harbor road. He looked over at Rico. "It's been good working with you," he said suddenly, taking Rico by surprise. "I know Sonny'll be back to full duty soon, and I know you've missed working with him. He's certainly missed working with you. I just wanted to say, it's been a change having someone in that car seat."

Rico leaned over and touched Stan's arm, "Thanks." He thought about his deal with his own partner. Both were there to look after the other, to guarantee them their place in that car seat. He did miss working with Sonny, but he had worked with Stan in the past, and it had not been all bad. "I appreciate your understanding in all this."

"Hey, what are friends for?" Stan took the turn to Sonny's marina. "Are you two okay?"

The frank question made Rico smile. "Yeah, very okay. I just hope we'll survive being together twenty hours a day - literally."

Stan laughed. "Oh, c'mon, that's what you've been doing for the past eight years! I think the longest time I was away from Lare was a week when he took a vacation in Hawaii!"

They pulled up next to Crockett's Ferrari. Stan sighed, "I really love that car."

Rico feigned a warning look. "Watch it! I'm next in line for it."

**************************************************

Friday afternoon:

"Sonny?" Rico gently nudged his sleeping partner's shoulder. "Sonny? We're at the outskirts of Atlanta...." He glanced over as Sonny sat up and rubbed his eyes, then returned to watching the traffic.

"'m sorry." He looked around. "You were supposed to switch with me," Sonny consulted his watch, "an hour and a half ago, Partner."

"Yeah, well, you were sound asleep and I was fine." Rico glanced in the mirrors and then slowed as a car forced its way in front of them. "But now you need to give me directions to the house."

Sonny sighed and took a look at the road signs. "Coming up, you'll need to take the next exit and then turn right onto the highway." They had made good time. It was nearly dusk and they were about a half an hour away from Caroline's home.

He was glad that Castillo had decided to let them have an extra day off. Rico and Stan had finished their investigations the day before. The suspected South American source was really a small time transportation middleman who'd decided to skim off the top of some of his loads. When word had gotten back to his customers about shortages, the man had been terrified. He had practically begged Stan and Rico to arrest him - offering to turn State's evidence against those he had done business with so he could be put into protective custody.

When Castillo had heard that Sonny and Rico were making plans to leave for Atlanta after work on Friday, he had simply ordered them to take the day off. He informed them that he did not want to see them again until the following Monday morning. This meant they did not have to rush the drive and would still get to Atlanta at a decent hour.

Sonny had told Caroline that Rico was driving up with him and they would stay at a nearby hotel so as not to give her any extra work. But she had insisted that they stay at the house. Her husband, Bob, was out of the country on an extended business trip. They had considered at one time moving to a smaller house. However, they both loved the old house with its airy rooms and had spent a great deal of time remodeling and getting everything just right. And Billy was happy in his current school and with his neighborhood friends. So there was plenty of room for Sonny and Rico to stay.

Rico turned the car into the driveway of the two story colonial-style home. Setting the parking brake, he climbed out of the car, groaned and stretched out his back. He turned to see Sonny standing slowly. "I don't know about you, Partner, but these long car trips are hell on the back."

In fact, Rico was watching Sonny closely, looking for signs of impending spasms or cramps. While Sonny had been doing much better over the past couple of weeks, when he was tired or had been sitting without proper support for long periods he was still prone to minor spasms and cramps. In fact, he had been so uncomfortable in his old desk chair his first day on restricted duty that Rico had gone out that afternoon and purchased an ergonomically designed chair for his partner.

"Yeah," Sonny stretched. "I know what you mean, but that extended nap helped. Thanks." He heard a door open and turned.

"Dad!" Billy came flying down the front steps as Caroline stepped out.

"Billy, careful...." She called after her son as he ran straight to his father.

"Hey, Sport!" Sonny knelt down on one knee and gathered his son into a tight hug. "I missed you." It had bothered him to find out that Billy had seen his father in such bad shape in the hospital. But Sonny had realized that it would have been wrong to deny his son a chance to see his dad when the prognosis had been so bleak. He smiled at his ex-wife over his son's shoulder. "Good to see you, Caroline."

"I missed you too, Dad." Billy finally let go of his father. He turned to see Rico coming around the car. "Hi, Uncle Rico."

"Billy, my man, every time I see you, you get taller and taller." Rico smiled. Caroline had joined the group by the car.

"God, Sonny," she gave him a warm embrace. "I'm glad you're doing better now." Sonny returned the hug.

"Thanks for letting us come and celebrate Billy's birthday." He watched as she turned and gave his partner a hug.

"Hi, Rico." She could not help but remember the hug in Sonny's hospital room. Rico had been keeping vigil over her ex-husband. Caroline had sensed that there was a strong tie between the two men, stronger than friendship or just being partners. Somehow, she knew that this was what had kept Sonny alive. "Thanks for coming."

"Thank you." He held her close. "I really don't want to impose on you. I could easily spend the night at a motel." She pulled away a bit.

"You're not imposing." She waved them toward the house. "And I wouldn't hear of you staying anywhere else." Billy grabbed Sonny's hand and started to lead him towards the house. Caroline slipped an arm through Rico's. "Have you eaten supper?"

"We had a late lunch and then drove straight through," Rico replied.

"I thought you might. Let's have something to eat; then we'll get you settled." She turned towards Rico, stopping their walk. "Truth, Rico. How is he doing?"

"Pretty good," Rico turned to her. "He still pushes himself too hard, but he's come so far." He watched Sonny and Billy go inside with Billy chattering away.

"Good," Caroline smiled. Then, looking at him seriously, she continued, mentally crossing her fingers and hoping that her instincts were right, "Do you and Sonny want separate rooms or would you prefer to share?" She smiled at the obvious shock in Rico's face, but she knew she had been right.

"Ummmm...." He had not thought that he and Sonny were that blatant.

"It's all right, Rico." She squeezed his arm and they started slowly towards the house again. "And no, you're not that obvious. It's just that... well, after being married to Sonny, I have an instinct about him. There's obviously a strong bond between the two of you. But I could tell the last couple of times, since his discharge, when I've spoken with him, that he'd found someone to make him happy. He's in love."

"Are you okay with this?" Rico finally found his voice.

They stopped just outside the door and she turned to look at Rico's expression. "Actually, I'm glad. I have to admit I was surprised, at first, when everything seemed to point to you as the person he'd found happiness with. But I also know that these things happen - the heart goes where it will."

Rico was relieved that Caroline was so comfortable about it already. But he wondered. "What about Billy? Does he know?"

"I'm not certain." She considered for a moment. "I know he noticed how upset you were when we visited Sonny in the hospital, because he mentioned that he thought you'd been crying. Kids are pretty observant sometimes. I think he'll be okay about it. He loves Sonny and he wants him to be happy." She reached for the doorknob. "Now, let's get something to eat."

"Would you like some more?" Caroline gestured at the bowl.

"Thank you, but I think two helpings is my limit." Rico set his spoon down. "It was delicious, but I'd have to run around the block to make more room."

Sonny smirked. It was usually him who was on the receiving end of someone trying to stuff him with food. But even he had managed to put away a small second serving of Caroline's chicken and dumplings. "It was delicious, Caroline. Thank you."

"Mom, may I be excused?" Billy had plowed his way through two big bowls, in spite of the sandwich he had eaten earlier while waiting for his dad to arrive. "I want to show Dad the radio-controlled Ferrari that Bob and me built."

"Certainly...." The word was barely out of his mother's mouth when the ten year old was running up the stairs to his bedroom. Caroline shook her head in bemusement. She looked at Sonny with a smile as he stood. "You go ahead. I'll clear the table and show Rico where to put your bags." Billy came down the stairs at a dead run. "Slow down, Billy. Your dad's going to be here all weekend."

"So, Sport," Sonny started, "you've got your own Ferrari now?"

Rico helped Caroline clear the table and she accompanied him to the car when he went to get their bags. "You know I'm really surprised that you're so comfortable... with this."

Caroline smiled as she held the door open for him. "Well, it has been a few months now, Rico." She led the way to the stairs. "I spent a while trying to convince myself that I was just imagining things. The last time Sonny visited was after...." They paused at the top of the stairs. "Well, you know.... Anyway, something about him was different." Changing the subject briefly, "You never did say whether you wanted separate rooms or not."

"Well, actually, one room would be fine." He followed her into a large room with a king-size bed.

Returning to the earlier subject, "When we came down to Miami, to the hospital, something just clicked in my head. Your love for Sonny was nearly palpable in his room. I truly believe that without you being there for him he probably wouldn't have survived." Caroline squeezed Rico's arm. Then she opened a closet door and an empty dresser drawer to indicate it was fine to unpack. Sitting on the edge of the bed she watched him unpack the bags. "Later, when Sonny called, I could *hear* the joy in his voice. It was more than just being happy to be alive. It was more than his love for Billy...."

Rico had quickly emptied the bags and was now just listening.

"I do still care for Sonny. I just couldn't handle the stress of being the wife of an undercover cop." She smiled encouragingly at the dark man. "But I know you won't have to worry about that. I'm glad he's found someone to share his life with. And I'm really happy you've found each other. The love you share seems to have given Sonny an inner peace and joy that he's not had in a long, long time." Now, with a twinkle in her eye, she continued. "But I have to admit - this is a little weird. I never pictured myself welcoming Sonny's lover into my home."

There was a cough from the doorway. Caroline and Rico looked over to see Sonny standing there. "Sorry to interrupt." He came further into the room studying both of them. "Billy needed to get his spare battery for the car and while he looked for it I decided to see what happened to the two of you." He caught Rico's eye. "I didn't mean to listen in." "No problem, Sonny." Rico grinned. "I just found out that Caroline pretty much had everything all figured out about us before we even arrived."

Sonny looked to Caroline. "You're really okay with this?"

"I'm fine with it." She came over and hugged him. "I'm happy for the two of you."

From down the stairs came Billy's voice, "Dad?!"

Sonny hugged her back and whispered, "Thanks." He turned his head and called out. "I'll be right down, Sport." He looked again to the two who were watching him with love. "Guess maybe I should have a talk with Billy."

"Do you want one of us to be there for this?" Rico asked.

"No," Sonny shook his head. "I think it'll be better with just the two of us."

Once again they heard, "Dad? You comin' or not?!"

"Be right there." Sonny headed for the stairs.

On the patio, under the backyard spotlights, Billy stepped away from the car and took the controller from his dad. "Now, watch this."

Sitting on the wooden railing, Sonny watched his son more than the small Ferrari that was making a rapid circuit of the patio edge. He loved Billy and wished that he could play a bigger part in his son's life. He sighed silently.

He respected the fact that Caroline could not handle the constant uncertainty of a cop's life - especially an undercover cop's life. The divorce had not been pleasant and for the first few years things had been awkward and tense between them. But in the end, they'd found a common ground of love and committment to their son and there was still a great deal of love between them as well. They were supportive and sympathetic towards each other now. They had somehow reclaimed their friendship - something for which Sonny was very grateful. And in the end, that made things easier for Billy.

Sonny shook himself. Might as well get this over with. He just wished he had a better idea of what to expect. "Billy...."

"Yeah, Dad." Billy kept his eyes on the car as it wove a path between the legs of the table and chairs.

"We need to talk about something." Geez, this was harder than facing down Castillo when things went wrong on a case!

"Sure." Billy looked over at his father and saw the serious expression. "Just a sec." He maneuvered the car back to them and shut the controller off.

"Do you like Rico?" Where was he supposed to start?

"Sure," Billy smiled. "He's cool."

"Does it bother you that he came along to go with us to the park tomorrow?"

"Nah," he came over and sat next to his father. "It'll be fun. 'Sides when you get tired, maybe Rico and I can do a couple of rides."

Sonny rolled his eyes. Now, even his son was worrying about him. "I'm glad you like him. Rico and I are really close." God, this really sounded lame even to him. He took a deep breath and felt the first warning twinges. Shit. Sonny tried to ignore it.

Billy looked at his dad. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." Sonny tried to smile but it changed to a grimace as he felt his back really start to spasm. Damn. He tried to relax, but his position on the railing wasn't exactly the most comfortable. Maybe if he could get to a chair....

But when he tried to stand Sonny realized he would not make it. "Billy, do me a favor and go get Rico. Okay?" Sonny managed a smile to reassure his son, as he gripped the railing tightly, his knuckles turning white.

"Sure." Alarmed now, Billy ran into the house shouting for Rico.

Sonny closed his eyes and concentrated on keeping his breathing even. He tried to will his back to relax and the spasm to end. Slow deep breath in. Release. Slow....

"Sonny?" Sonny opened his eyes as Rico touched his shoulder. "Is it your back?"

He nodded not trusting himself to speak. He didn't want to alarm Billy any further and he could see his son and ex-wife looking on in concern. Rico took his arm and put it over his shoulders and helped him stand.

"Let's get you inside." Rico turned to Caroline. "It's just a back spasm. I need to get him lying down somewhere so that I can massage it out." She simply nodded and led the way to the downstairs den.

Rico supported Sonny to the chaise lounge and gently lowered him. "Would you go up to our room and get the small bag of pills in the top dresser drawer and a glass of water?"

He'd directed the question to Caroline, but Billy responded. "I'll get the bag." Caroline went to get the water.

Rico gently but firmly rolled and kneaded the knotted muscles of Sonny's lower back. Even before Caroline returned with a glass of water or Billy with the pills, he felt his partner start to relax as the spasm subsided. Thank God. The spasms were happening a lot less frequently now. More than likely it was the long drive that had triggered this episode.

Finally, he felt the muscles smooth out and Sonny sighed in relief. "Feelin' better, Partner?" Rico took the bag from Billy who was watching his dad with worried eyes. Sorting through the bottles, Rico pulled one out and shook out two small pills. He set the bag a side. Leaning down, he spoke softly. "Sonny, you need to take these pills." His partner opened his eyes wearily and started to shake his head. "They're just the muscle relaxants. If you take them now, by tomorrow morning you'll be fine and we can still go to Six-Flags. Okay?"

Sonny blinked at him, but did not fight him as Rico helped him to take the pills and swallow some water. "You rest a few minutes and we'll get you up the stairs and to bed. Okay?" He nodded and closed his eyes.

Rico motioned for Caroline and Billy to follow him out of the den. Billy's eyes were wide with fright and concern. "Is he gonna be okay? Did I do something to hurt him?"

"He'll be fine." Rico crouched down and squeezed the boy's shoulder. "And you didn't do anything to hurt him. Okay?" Rico watched as Caroline wrapped a reassuring arm around her son's shoulders. "When your dad was shot, his back was also hurt. It's getting better and he's almost completely well now. But once in a while he gets really bad muscle cramps. You did just fine - coming to get me, getting his medicine. All right?"

Billy nodded obviously relieved. "All right."

"He'll be fine by tomorrow morning and we can go to the park as planned." Rico smiled and stood.

"Are you going to need help getting him upstairs?" Caroline asked. She, too, was shaken but relieved that Sonny was going to be fine.

"Nah," Rico reassured her. "I can manage. I'll just give him a few more minutes for the muscle relaxant to kick in, then I'll put him to bed." He went back into the den to check on his partner.

Billy was very quiet. Caroline looked down to him. "You okay, Sweetheart?"

"Yeah."

"Well, in that case, I think it's time for you to get ready for bed." She ruffled his hair.

"Awww, Mom," he whined. "If you're going to go with your dad and Rico to the park tomorrow, you'll need to be up early." She turned him towards the stairs. "Now, scoot!" She couldn't help but smile as he grumbled to himself on the way up the stairs.

A short time later, Rico went downstairs to join Caroline for a glass of iced tea. Sonny was settled for the night and resting comfortably. Rico had been forced to undress his partner as he was too far out of it from the meds.

Minutes later, Billy opened his bedroom door and peeked out. He walked quietly to his dad's room and pushed the door open silently. Looking in he saw Sonny curled on his side, asleep.

Ever so carefully, Billy climbed onto the bed next to his father. Sonny did not move, his breathing slow and regular. "I love you, Dad," he whispered. Then he settled next to his dad lying down on top of the covers.

When Rico returned to the room, he found Billy soundly asleep next to his dad. He quietly grabbed the quilt from the end of the bed and pulled it over the sleeping boy. Figuring he would sleep on the lounger in the den downstairs, Rico grabbed his sweatpants and t-shirt.

"Where're you going?" Caroline saw him leaving the spare room as she reached the top of the stairs.

"Well, Sonny has company, so I figured I'd sleep in the den," Rico explained.

Caroline took a quick look in and saw father and son fast asleep. She smiled and closed the door. "Just use the back bedroom, Rico. I'd already made up the bed in there in case I was wrong and you two wanted separate rooms." She showed him to the room. "G'night."

**************************************************

Saturday morning:

It was still early when Sonny started to wake slowly. His head felt as if it was stuffed with cotton. He recognized the bitter taste that the meds left behind in his mouth. He blinked awake when he remembered what had happened the night before. Turning his head, he found Billy curled against him, his head on his father's arm.

Billy turned over suddenly as he awoke. He looked at his dad.

"Morning, Sport." Sonny ruffled the sleep mussed blond hair of his son and smiled.

"Mornin', Dad." Billy smiled back, but then seemed to consider something. "You okay this morning?"

"I'm great." Sonny grinned.

But Billy now had a serious expression on his face. "Dad, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Are you and Rico a... a 'couple'?"

Sonny was not prepared for that. He stared at his son for a moment. But he would not lie. "Well, I guess you

could say that we are." He studied Billy's face, trying to see if he was upset by this prospect. "Does that bother you?"

Billy thought for a long moment. "You still love me, right?"

His dad nodded. "Of course, I do."

"We can still do things together - sometimes - just the two of us?" Again, Sonny nodded. "When your back's all better, we can play ball or go fishing or stuff like that?"

"We sure can." Sonny had not expected Billy to ask this sort of questions. But then again, he really had not known what to expect.

"Then I guess it's okay." He looked at his father solemnly.

"So what made you ask about Rico and me?" Sonny was curious.

"Lots of things." Billy smirked. "I'm not stupid and I'm not a little kid anymore. When Mom and I came to the hospital to see you, it looked like Rico had been crying. Then when you got here and you and Rico were sharing a room - when I know Mom got two rooms ready. The questions you were asking me last night." He sounded a lot older than his ten years just then.

Sonny shook his head and laughed. "Quite a detective is what you are." Then he sobered and looked into his son's eyes. "Are you still okay about Rico coming with us today?"

"Not a problem, Dad." He sat up. "'Sides I wouldn't wanta wear you out."

"Oh, yeah!" Sonny started tickling Billy until he shrieked.

"No fair!" The boy complained between giggles. "You're bigger than me!"

It was busy at the theme park with the weekend crowd, but they had arrived early and Billy had already managed to ride several of the most popular rides before the real crush of people arrived. Rico was very glad he had come along with Sonny and Billy. It was nice to share this part of his partner's life.

He was also relieved to be there to monitor Sonny. They had gotten through the lines on three rides in nearly record time. But it had taken only one ride on the Python, the multi-loop state-of-the-art rollercoaster, to do Sonny in for a while. As they exited the ride, with Billy excitedly directing them towards the next ride he *had* to experience, Rico had seen the tiny lines of strain around his partner's mouth and eyes. Sonny was in pain.

Rico also knew that Sonny would likely deny any problems - especially in front of his son. So as they walked to the next line, Rico did some quick thinking. He leaned down and whispered into Billy's ear and at the youngster's nod, he smiled. "Sonny, whatda ya say Billy and I do this next ride ourselves? The log rides work better for an even number of passengers anyway." He pointed over to the snack bar nearby. "You could always grab a table and that way when we get down we can get a quick lunch."

Sonny looked at him sharply, but did not protest. He really needed to just sit for a while and obviously Rico was well aware of it. "Sure." He forced a smile. "I'll be waiting for you." He thanked his partner with his eyes. He had just been wondering how he would manage to stay on his feet for another long line and then handle the drops in the log ride itself. He walked slowly over to the snack bar, waving to his son as he got in line.

"Rico, can I ask you something?"

They had been in line for about twenty minutes, almost halfway through the line, talking about school and Billy's latest interest in collecting trading cards - small talk. From where they were standing, they could no longer see Sonny patiently waiting for them. Rico had noticed Billy studying his dad closely. "Sure."

"Is my dad okay?" He looked up with serious grey-green eyes. "I thought he was supposed to be all better now that he's out of the hospital."

"Well, he's doing much better." Rico smiled reassuringly. "And gettin' better all the time. It's just that it'll take a very long time for everything to be completely one hundred percent healed." The line move ahead a bit and they were now close enough to feel the spray from one of the 'waterfalls'. "Until then, we'll just have to cut him some slack and not let him push himself too hard. Okay?"

"Okay." Billy appreciated that Rico talked to him directly, not treating him like a kid. He thought for a moment. "My dad and me talked this morning about you and him." He looked up. "I'm glad you're taking care of him. I think it's kinda cool that you're in love. Maybe he won't be so lonely."

Rico swallowed the lump in his throat. He had not realized that the boy had even been aware of how alone his father had been since Catie died. "Thanks." The line moved again and then they were the next to be seated in the giant logs.

The attendant turned towards them. "Front or back?"

"Front!" Billy shouted. He reminded Rico of Sonny when he was in the 'all or nothing' mood.

Sonny must have seen them as their log came over the last 'waterfall' because by the time Billy came tearing down the exit ramp heading to the snack bar, his dad had cold drinks, corn dogs and french fries waiting for them. Sonny shook his head and smirked at Rico as his partner tried to wring out some of the water in his polo shirt. "Maybe I should've warned you about sitting in the front."

Rico just laughed. "Thanks a lot, Partner." It was a hot day and in truth he felt more comfortable with the wet shirt than the dry.

"Whoa, there, Sport." Sonny turned to Billy. "Slow down. The rides will still be there when you're done eating." He smiled as his son devoured the corn dog in big bites. "'Sides if you get sick, your mom'll never forgive me."

It was nearing dusk when they headed back to the parking lot. Sonny had managed a fair number of the rides. When he got tired or it looked like a particular ride might be a bit too much for him, he simply waited while Rico and Billy stood in line and had fun. It frustrated him to no end, but he had managed to resign himself to it.

As they neared Sonny's car, he realized that it had been a fun day. He had spent time with his son and his partner. When he had started to get really annoyed with his 'weakness,' Sonny suddenly recalled lying in the bed in ICU with tubes and wires attached. He remembered thinking, at the time, he would be stuck there forever. Shaking off the bad mood he realized that things could have turned out a lot worse - one hell of a lot worse.

Rico drove them back to the house; both father and son slept most of the way. He smiled fondly at them as he shut the car engine off. They looked so much alike.