Actions

Work Header

Teach Me To Fly

Summary:

Jim Kirk Attempts To Jump Off The Highest Building On Earth In A Suicide Attempt. But when a strange, dark haired man finds him, his life begins to fill with mystical, unbelievable things, especially love. In a story about love, death, hardship, demons and angels, Jim and Spock's Relationship will be put to the ultimate test.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue (Beta)

Notes:

R&R?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Text

I want to feel euphoria, the pull of the earth dragging me down to its very core. I want to feel the wind scar my skin as I plummet towards the ground. And then, I want to feel the complete freedom of losing everything solid. But most of all, I want to feel the split second of ecstasy as my body smashes into the ground and every mortal part of me leaves, and I am free of the weight of lifetime of pain.

And that's why I, James Tiberius Kirk, am standing on the peak of the Millennium Gate, three thousand-two hundred and eighty feet above the ground, two inches from the ledge. The day is beautiful - it's sunny and seventy degrees. Clouds drift lazily through the sky, and I envy them. No family, no jobs, no pain, just blue skies and refreshing winds. I think...I'll join them once it's over.

I take a step forward, one inch closer to the edge. Just like they use to tell me at Nexus - baby steps, you'll get there. I close my eyes and breath deeply. The air is clean this far up here. If I were to open my eyes and look dead ahead all I would see is sky. No buildings, no hateful faces, just...sky.
I run a hand through the mats in my hair and down my face. This is it - it's almost over. Another step.

Left foot this time, I lift it and....

"Sir, I firmly believe you do not wish to do this."

Paralyzed, I turn. Behind me, only about five feet away a single, tall man stands. His short hair is blacker than the darkest night in Iowa and reflects the sun like glass as it dances in the wind. His arms are at his sides, hands lifted so that I may see his empty palms. Despite his cautious stance he bears no sign of being police or any other enforcement that would try to hinder my plan for freedom.

"Thanks for your concern man, but I've been waiting half my life to do this." I turn back to the ledge. If this man is out of sight, he's out of mind.

"Then, sir, since this seems to be so important, and I am a scientist, you will of course not mind taking me with you."

As if the man does it everyday, he walks up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. Instantly anger consumes me. This is MY path, MY destiny. This man will NOT ruin this for me. I grab his weirdly over-warm hands that are clasped over my navel and pull them apart and shove him away from me, careful not to dislodge myself from the gate prematurely.

He stumbles but remains calm and stares at me. Something about him seems to smile at me, even as his face remains blank.

"Stay the hell away from me! You don't know me, man! This is what I want!!" I scream without predication. Tears well in my eyes.

This time the man's mouth does actually form a smile. He raises his arm, an elegant, long fingered hand palm up to me.

"No Jim, you do not."