Actions

Work Header

After The Company

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "The Company"

Work Text:

Dave escorted Fran to Desiree’s hospital room for the family reunion. She stopped short and he heard her gasp. He squeezed her elbow and gave her a small nudge. She offered a small smile, nodded, and went in. He watched her embrace Cindi for only a brief moment before silently slipping away.

It didn’t take long for Dave to find what he was looking for. He was alone in the hospital chapel. He crossed himself. He went to the front pew and sat down.

He contemplated the simple, unadorned altar covered with a startling white cloth and the polished wooden cross. He blew out a long breath. He tried to stop thinking, to find that peace that was always so elusive (except when he was alone with Derek and there was no case hanging over their heads).

He didn’t know how long he sat there before he felt the urge. He knelt and bowed his head to pray. “I just wanted to say thank you,” he whispered. “Thank you for helping us make that family whole.”

He ignored his knees protest as he climbed to his feet. He stood. He shot a lop sided smile at the altar. “And I’ll try to do better going to church, but you know how it is.”

He crossed himself again and turned to leave. That’s when he noticed Derek watching him from just inside the door. He smirked. “The way you avoid church I thought you’d burst into flame.”

Derek let out a startled laugh. “No. It’s just that God and I don’t see eye to eye, but I admire your faith.”

Dave shook his head. “I’m not a good example of a Catholic,” he answered ruefully. “I’m a pretty big sinner but I do believe.”

Derek smiled warmly. “I thought that was the number one criteria.”

“It depends on who you ask.” Dave walked up to Derek. “I thought you’d be in Desiree’s room with your family.”

“I was. Thanks for bringing Mom in.” Derek took Dave’s hand and pulled him into a dark corner of the chapel.

Dave let himself be led. “She needed to be here and you’re welcome.”

Derek cupped Dave’s face in his hands. He leaned in and gave him a soft kiss. “Why did you disappear?” he whispered against Dave’s lips.

Dave pressed his forehead against Derek’s. He rested his hands on Derek’s hips. “It was a private family moment.”

“You’re family,” Derek growled and nipped Dave’s bottom lip sharply. “How many times do I have to tell you? How many times does Mom take your side when we fight instead of mine?”

Dave nipped back. “That’s because she’s a smart lady,” he teased.

Derek grunted in warning. “Dave.”

“I do know,” Dave whispered vehemently. He tilted his head towards the altar. “I just had to thank the Big Guy for his help.”

Derek laughed quietly. “Okay. Are you ready to go?”

“Just a sec.” Dave reached down to squeeze Derek’s hand. He nodded towards the altar again. “Go ahead. It won’t hurt.”

Derek bit his bottom lip. He took a deep breath and nodded once. He frowned at the altar but said earnestly, “Thank you.”

Series this work belongs to: