Actions

Work Header

After Big Sea

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "Big Sea"

Work Text:

Dinner with Dave and Auntie Yvonne and Derek couldn’t have been happier. He squeezed Dave’s knee under the table before turning his charming smile on Yvonne. He dropped his napkin over his empty plate and stood. “I’ve gotta use the restroom and then we can get out of here.”

Dave chuckled quietly and watched Derek disappear. He turned back around to find Yvonne openly studying him. One end of his mouth quirked up. “I remember Fran looking at me like that.”

“Like what?” Yvonne asked curiously.

“Like I’m some kind of alien,” Dave answered easily, with no trace of offense.

Yvonne tilted her head to the side, still not taking her searching gaze off Dave. “In a way you are. You’ve managed to get past Derek’s defenses.”

Dave openly met her gaze. He shrugged. “That may be, but before I knew it, he was under mine too.”

Yvonne’s eyes softened. She relaxed back in her chair. She smiled. “I didn’t quite believe Fran.”

Dave arched an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

Yvonne rolled her eyes and her voice was almost disgruntled. “That I’d like you.”

“Thank you.” Dave paused. “I think.”

Yvonne laughed but it was short lived. She sat forward and continued earnestly, “You have to understand. Derek’s never really been serious about anyone. He’s always been outgoing and yet there’s a lone wolf quality about him.”

“I know.”


“And with you both being men…” Yvonne’s voice trailed off. She waved a hand. “I don’t care about that but I was surprised.”

“Me too.” Dave grinned suddenly. “I thought I was going to have a heart attack that morning I woke up and realized that I’m in love with him.”

Yvonne smiled. “Fran told me that what you guys have is real. I asked her how she knows that and she said that all I’d have to do is watch you too together.” She reached across the table to briefly squeeze Dave’s hand. “She was right.”

Series this work belongs to: