Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
604
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
763

The End of the World as We Know It

Summary:

Firefighter Captain Roy DeSoto prepares for doomsday.

Work Text:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The End of the World as We Know It

 

 

 

1984

 

Firefighter Captain Roy DeSoto again did an inventory of the supplies in his basement. He was thankful the house they purchased had a basement as most SoCal homes didn't have one. But now he was taking full advantage of it. This space would save them when the world collapsed. Since he had maintained his paramedic standing he was able to secure much needed medical supplies.

 

"Seventy six, seventy seven, seventy eight..."

 

"Hey Roy," Firefighter Captain John Gage greeted his friend.

 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Roy growled, not liking the intrusion.

 

"Um, I thought you might like the company," John offered.

 

Roy sighed, "Joanne called you didn't she?"

 

"Roy, man, I just want to help," John again offered coming closer to his friend.

 

"I don't need your help Johnny. I'm sick of people offering ‘help' and if I wanted your help I would have called you," Roy went back to counting silently.

 

John touched his friends shoulder only to be pushed back.

 

"Johnny I said I don't need any fucking help. Now get the hell out of my house before I call the cops," Roy's nose flared and he went nose to nose to his friend.

 

"All right, all right I'm goin. I'm goin," John turned and headed back up the stairs muttering.

 

"I come here to help him and he just pushes me away," John slammed the door leaving him alone.

 

"Damnitt," Roy shouted, "I want to be left alone. Just leave me alone." He went back to counting and listing his supplies.

 

By the time he finished counting all his supplies and finding out what else he was missing it was dinner time. Roy sullenly came up from the basement, not really in the mood to see his family.

 

His children were no longer young and innocent. Chris had taken to wearing nothing but black and his little princess, Jennifer, was now into boys. They were growing up way to fast for him.

 

"Hey, hon," Joanne kissed and hugged her husband. "I made your favorites."

 

"I'll wash up," Roy said in subdued tone and headed towards the kitchen. His kids were arguing again as they came to dinner. Upset, he threw the dish towel in the sink and headed to the dining room.

 

"Just once I'd like to eat dinner in peace. Would that be possible?" Roy glared at his children. "You're brother and sister and you won't have that much longer. You'll grow up and move away from each other. Now sit down and shut up," he ordered.

 

Chris and Jen sat down, unable to look at each other as Joanne served dinner.

 

"C'mon Roy their kids," Joanne patted her husband's arm. "You remember when you were a kid, don't you."

 

Roy glared at her, took a large helping of spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. He ate in silence.

 

Tension filled the dining room and all that was heard was the eating of food, the occasionally clinking of metal on glass and the creaks and groans of the house.