Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
440
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
741

Up In Smoke

Summary:

The moving crew had finally left; all of Jim's possessions carefully packed and sent into storage for the duration.

Work Text:

Up In Smoke.
by JustJeanette

 

The moving crew had finally left; all of Jim's possessions carefully packed and sent into storage for the duration.

Naomi had headed North to some retreat or another to process; process definitely sounded better than running away.

Jim was still in hospital; last heard arguing vehemently with the Chief of Staff that he would check himself out AMA if necessary.Strangely, this 'Chief' Jim finally listened toowhen it was pointed out that he could leave now and risk never regaining full use of his leg or he could plant his butt until he was cleared by the physical therapists to return to an abode with a non-function elevator.

Blair took one last look around the barren loft; it looked just like it had when he was thrown out as a result of Alex Barnes, clean, sterile, and empty except for the five pillar candles awaiting a flame, an old manuscript, a newly bound manuscript and a simple mat.Blair lit a taper before using it to light the four candles that sat at the cardinal points and the last that sat atop the two manuscripts.

Folding his knees beneath him, Blair sat in a classic mediative pose. Slowly his breathing evened out as he slipped into a trance and let loose the physical bonds that held him tethered to mother earth.His spirit self stood in the middle of Jim's jungle, Jim's jungle, not his, and he bowed his head in grief.Dreams of fame and fortune had been set aside when he had finally found his Sentinel.Dreams of a life with a purpose, guarding, guiding, protecting his Sentinel had gone up in smoke as the media poured oil on the sensational fire that was his research. Now all that was left to do was fight fire with fire.

Slipping deeper into a trance state Blair Sandburg zoned by the flickering light of a slow burning candle. One minute, two minutes, an hour, time lost all meaning as the candles burned down until wax no longer protected leather, wood or paper. By the time the smoke alarm sounded it was too late; gases, invisible, insidious, deadly, had already sent Sandburg towards the next turning of the wheel.

The media reported a single fatality, news worthy only in the sense that the fatality had so recently been at the center of another scandal. Within days is was yesterdays news and as Detective Jim Ellison continued to close cases, though not with the rapidity that had earned him Cop of the Year, the precipitating scandal also faded from public memory.

Jim had his life back but the cost was he no longer had a home.

 

FIN.