Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
405
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
22
Hits:
615

WAITING

Summary:

Waiting to retire can be so exhausting. A personal observation.

Work Text:

He comes in later than usual, a sign that he's decided to work overtime again.

My tired warrior pulls his coat and gloves off then trudges off to the bedroom to remove his wallet, keys, and ID before dragging himself back into the living room to plop down in his easy chair and flicking on the TV.

I dutifully hand him his warmed dinner I have waiting for him then return to my computer to work while he eats.

Some while passes then he sighs and says, "I'm tired of putting up with so much crap all day and my boss wont stop riding me.  It's his fault we're so short handed.  I wish I could walk in there tomorrow and say 'I quit'."

I say nothing.  He's voiced this complaint a great number of times of late.  

He's hoping I'll say, 'yes, go for it,' but I don't.

He knows just as I do, we can't afford him leaving yet.  We need his whole entitlement before he walks out that door, permanently.

I feel for him, know how tired he is, but he can't quit now.

He's worked his whole adult life.  First his career in the service then the office job for the government as his second.  He's reaching the finish line finally but it's hard for him to wait.

I've already retired from my first and second careers.  I sense his jealousy at that, as he sees me at home while he must brave whatever weather is going on outside and the trials at work each day.  

Knowing this, I take care of all the myriad of things that runs a household and raise the children who are nearly grown at last so he doesn't have those concerns on his shoulders as well.

Though he wishes he could just stay home himself, he does appreciate the fact I have his meals waiting and I've taken care of the bills, most of the chores so he has a clean house to return to, and no worries to trouble him as he rests before starting yet another work day tomorrow.

So I say nothing and he sighs, letting the TV show pull him in, freeing him of his troubles for a little while until bedtime.

I sigh mentally to myself and think, 'be patient my tired warrior, your long wait is nearly over and freedom is only a few months away.'