Actions

Work Header

After A Thin Line

Summary:

small scene takes place after ep "A Thin Line"

Work Text:

The soft chuckles died away. Emily frowned when Derek stopped looking at her to stare moodily out the window. She tilted her head to see Dave sitting across from Aaron in the next group of seats. “Hey, Rossi.”

Dave rested with his elbow on the arm rest and his chin in his palm. His eyes rolled up from the file he was reading. He arched an eyebrow. “Emily?”

Emily smiled. “I need you to come and join us.”

Dave ignored the smirk Aaron couldn’t quite hide. He closed the file and dropped it on the seat next to him. He stood. “What’s up?”

Emily nodded to the seat next to Derek. “Sit down.”

Dave did so. He looked at her expectantly. “Now what?”

Emily was still smiling but her voice was earnest. “Your stubborn mule won’t listen to me. Tell him I’m okay.”

Derek snorted and refused to look at them. He folded his arms across his chest. “I know,” he growled.

“Tell him, Dave.”

One end of Dave’s mouth quirked up. He smacked Derek in the back of the head. “She’s okay.”

“Hey,” Derek hissed and jerked his head. He glared at Dave.

Dave just shrugged. He gave Derek his best innocent look. “This isn’t on me. She’s injured. I’m humoring her.”

“That’s right,” Emily chimed in. “Dave, now tell him that it’s not his fault.”

Dave smacked Derek on the back of the head again. “It’s not your fault.”

Derek glared from Dave to Emily. Suddenly, he sighed and let his shoulders slump. He unfolded his arms from his chest. “I know,” he repeated quietly, but firmly.

Emily peered at him for a long moment. She nodded and smiled warmly. “Good.”

Derek managed a strained smile in return. “I just…I just hate seeing you hurt.”

“I appreciate that.”

Dave put an arm around Derek’s shoulders. “We can only do our best, Superman. The rest is part of the job.”

Emily noticed the way Derek automatically relaxed when Dave touched him. She looked around the plane but the others were respectfully ignoring them. Her warm smile turned downright sly. She lowered her voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “There is something you two could do for me.”

“What?” Derek asked suspiciously.

“I would love to see you two French it.”

Dave coughed and covered his mouth to hide a laugh.

Derek’s brow furrowed. “Who are you? Garcia in disguise?”

Emily laughed unrepentantly. “I blame the painkillers.”

Dave cut off Derek’s stuttered reply by grabbing his head and kissing him. He took advantage of Derek’s surprised gasp and slipped his tongue inside Derek’s mouth.

Derek couldn’t help but return the kiss. He threaded his fingers through Dave’s hair. He held Dave’s head still.

Dave broke the kiss and pulled back. He put a hand on Derek’s chest when Derek tried to follow him. Derek let out a small whimper of disappointment and he kissed Derek’s palm. He turned his self-satisfied smirk on Emily. “That’s all you get.”

Emily’s throat was suddenly dry. She licked her lips. “Thanks.”

Derek was panting. “Damn.”

Series this work belongs to: