Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2012-02-20
Words:
2,219
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,551

Kosovo Day Two

Summary:

Notes from this morning's meeting in the debriefing room

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Kosovo Day Two
by David Lee Rickman II

Notes from this morning's meeting in the debriefing room:

Mentnor begins by saying, "As all of you may know, America under NATO has declared strategic strikes against Kosovo and Yugoslavia. Right now, Yugoslavia has declared a state-of-emergency, and that's one step before declaring war.."

"What I don't understand is why the president has declared Kosovo's civil war as a national security issue.," Donnovan added. "The racial tensions in Kosovo have been going on for 600 years."

"Yes," Mentnor said. "Because of the president's scandals, he feels he needs some strategic attacks to help his legacy."

"But Mentnor, our strategic attacks may be considered an act of war. Suppose Yugoslavia doesn't care what NATO calls it?" Parker asks.

"Good point, Parker. This is the stuff wars are made out of. People, this is Day Two and we stand at a point of a possible war in Europe."

"Has a backstep been authorized?" Olga inquired.

"Not yet. Until then, we are in pre-jump status."

Of Course, Ramsey had to add his two cents. "And the 'Ruskies' like Primakov and other Russian officials have long opposed military action against Yugoslavia. If Yugoslavia goes in war mode, Russia is d___ sure to be their weapons supplier by unilaterally withdrawling from the international weapons embargo on Yugoslavia.

Mentnor notices how uncomfortable Olga is at that statement and changes the subject. "Ballard, I want the sphere ready at all times to go back.  We don't know if the NSA will authorize a backstep, but we'll be ready if they do. By the way, can the sphere be placed on a plane while it's in the air?

"Theoretically, if we knew it's location at any given nanosecond. Why?"

"If we backstep, we'll try to place Parker on the plane of Russia's prime minister, Yevgeny Primakov. Yesterday, Primakov ordered his plane to turn around over the Atlantic and go back to Russia, thus canceling an important Washington visit. If we can't stop the Kosovo war, we will still want Russia on our side. Parker will need to convince Primakov to attend the Washington meeting. Our agents in Moscow will try to get the GPS readings from the black box of Primakov's plane for you Ballard."

Mentnor ended: "Until then, we're on pre-jump status...."


To be continued after the next meeting.