Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 6 of Emergency! Quote Challenge Stories
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2016-12-28
Words:
36,176
Chapters:
21/21
Comments:
23
Kudos:
75
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
9,036

The Let Down

Summary:

Story based on this quote..."As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let us down, probably will." -unknown. Also a tag to "Promotion" episode. Call it a challenge if the quote speaks to you. I LOVE challenge responses.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

If you follow me on ffnet you are probably thinking...what is she doing? She already has two unfinished stories. But sometimes my muse just won't cooperate. This is what "Red Flash" (as a friend so lovingly named my muse "Red" for short.) has come up with, and just won't stop jabbering in my ear about working on this one today. I PROMISE I will get back to "Little Boy Lost" and "Phantom's Payback", but for now...hope you enjoy this start of my new story. More soon! (as long as RL lets me work. LOL!)

Chapter Text

  The Let Down

By GCS

Emergency belongs to Universal and Mark VII.

"As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let us down, probably will." -unknown

Weary men stumbled from their seats and across the bay floors to the locker room. It was still dark outside and they hoped for at least a few hours of sleep. They smelled of smoke and ash, but none really cared. That was normal for them.

Turnout coats still swung lightly from the doors they were draped from. A door on one of the squad compartments still stood open while the coat hung haphazardly inside.

A shuffling of tired feet made their way into the dorm and boots and turnouts were shed and positioned at the foot of the bunks. The men slid beneath the rumpled covers and dropped off to sleep before their head hit the pillows. Exhaustion outweighed the need to shower away the grime.

An eerie quiet filled the station until soft snores began to drift from each bunk…save one.

Roy Desoto, paramedic extraordinaire according to his colleagues, had failed miserably at relationships in the last twenty four hours. First with his wife then with his best friend and right now those things kept the exhausted man awake and staring at the ceiling of the dorm room.

Images of the last day rambled around in his mind like Joanne crying that morning after he'd lost his temper with her about his pending promotion to Engineer. 'Why can't she understand why I'm having second thoughts?... Because you jerk…she is the one trying to juggle the budget. The kids need new shoes. The car needs work. We need tires. That's why.'

He turned over toward the brick wall so his back was to his partner; jabbed at his pillow a few times before dropping his head onto the fluffed ball. 'Then there's the question about you Johnny. Why are you being so damn encouraging?' He thought back to the harsh words he'd spout out to Johnny after he had wished him a good morning in threes, as was Johnny's way, and then asked the simple question of had he heard from headquarters about when he would get the official promotion. 'Why couldn't I have just answered him? No instead I had to bark at him about minding his own business; told him to stop whining about my leaving him, and then to top it off… asked him if he was worried about doing the job on his own without my help. What the hell was I thinking?' He rubbed the palm of his hand over his eyes and punched the pillow again. 'You're a jerk Desoto...a real jerk.'

The clock on the wall ticked loudly as the seconds crept by one by one.

The seconds became minutes and still Roy's mind kept him from the sleep his tired body needed.

The minutes became an hour…two…

And then the morning tones rang out jerking the men from their quiet slumber.

All except Roy who had given up about an hour ago and tip toed through the dorm, across the bay, and into the kitchen where he now sat with a cup of cold coffee between his hands. He was already showered, shaved and in uniform.

"You're up early." Cap said as he crossed the dayroom to the coffee pot. "Too tired to sleep?" He turned back to his senior paramedic, leaned against the cabinet and lifted the steaming cup to his lips.

"I guess." Roy said softly.

Cap glanced up at his junior paramedic who had stopped in the door. Johnny lowered his gaze and retreated into the bay.

"Move over Gage! Some of us want coffee." Chet grumbled as he pushed past the tall thin man and into the kitchen. "Mornin' Roy."

Roy didn't respond or raise his eyes as he slid his chair back and placed the mug in the sink before leaving the room.

"What's eatin' him?" Chet asked Cap as he poured himself a mug of coffee.

"Leave it alone Chet." Cap ordered as he pushed off the counter and held his half empty cup out to the lineman for a refill before leaving the kitchen. He didn't know what was eating Roy, but the last thing anyone needed if they had a lot on their mind was Chet Kelly needling them about it.

Chet turned around and leaned against the counter and then glanced back to the door leading to the bay. After a few minutes he realized Johnny had not come back for coffee. Making a quick decision he turned back to the pot and grabbed another mug; then with two mugs in hand he set out to find his pigeon.

Mike passed Chet on his way around the table. His hair was damp and he was dressed for the day. "Marco's in the shower now." Mike explained as though he thought Chet was headed to find Marco with the extra cup of coffee.

"Uh…oh…okay." He didn't let on that he was actually looking for Johnny. He just kept going. "Thanks."

Mike looked at him with a tilted head and a curious look. "Sure." When Chet kept on going Mike shrugged his shoulders in confusion and continued on his own journey toward the coffee pot.

When he entered the bay Chet saw Roy over by the front of the Squad. "Roy, did you see where Gage went?"

Roy looked up from polishing the hood of the squad. "It's not my day to keep watch over my partner." He barked out. Chet stared at him, stunned at the venom in his voice. If Roy was this upset with Johnny then Johnny must have done something to cause it. Chet shrugged and walked away. He still needed to find Johnny. He didn't see Roy toss the polishing rag on the hood and lower his head onto his folded arms. He didn't know Roy was counting to 10 very slowly. Roy knew he didn't have good cause to be so upset with Johnny, but for some reason being mad at Johnny was helping take his mind off of his other problems.