Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2011-12-15
Words:
3,913
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
33
Hits:
2,261

Familiar...

Summary:

While waiting to meet Harry, Hermione encounters a strange Slytherin. There's something familiar about this 'Tom Spink' and she can't work out why.

Chapter1: Hermiones P.O.V.

Chapter2: 'Tom Spink's' P.O.V.

Chapter 1: Familiar Stranger

Chapter Text

Hermione sat, sipping her Butterbeer and occasionally glancing at the clock that hung above the bar of the Three Broomsticks. Harry was late. She'd half-expected this, even though she'd shown up slightly earlier then she meant to, but that still didn't soothe the boredom that had swept over her after the first ten minutes.

She'd asked Ron to come as well, but he was on holiday with the rest of his family. They were travelling around several countries camping. Harry and Ginny switched between staying with the Weasleys, and 12 Grimauld place, Apparating back and forth as they pleased.

She'd been invited to join the holiday but she'd refused, she didn't really feel like going. The idea of camping, moving from country to country, didn't really appeal to her, not after how they'd been forced to live that lifestyle during the year of the war. Even though two whole years had passed, Hermione still felt grateful to be able to go home, to her family, to her own bed.

Finishing her Butterbeer she decided that Harry wasn't showing up anytime soon. She stood up and decided to have a wander round Hogsmead, leaving a message with the bartender in case Harry showed up while she was gone. Pulling her cloak tightly around her she stepped out into the cool winter's air of Hogsmead. Although it was only early November, the floor was full of thick frost and the skies seemed to threaten to coat the whole area in deep snow at any moment.

She could see Christmas decorations scattered across the front of several stores, a festive shop that only ever appeared at this time of year immediately caught her eye. The shop was completely circular; the walls were decorated with red and white stripes, with green widow ledges and a holly wreath hung on the mint green door. She didn't really need anything, but wandered around the shop simply browsing the various magical Christmas items on sale.

She ended up buying a couple of enchanted snow globes and a few cute little decorations for her bedroom, which she couldn't wait to show her parents. After a quick stop in Honeydukes, Hermione ended up leaning against a fence near the entrance to Hogsmead, staring up at the school which had once been her home away from home. Most of the damage had been repaired, but there were still signs of the famous battle that had taken place there - even Hogwarts had scars from that battle.

It wasn't until she turned to put her sweet wrapper in the bin that she noticed him. She had been so caught up in her memories that she hadn't even seen him there, leant against the leafless tree mere metres away from her, also caught up in his thoughts.

Part of her wanted to introduce herself, but she didn't want to disturb him, he hadn't seemed to notice her either. She stood staring at him for a moment, wondering what to do. He took his eyes off the school just long enough to pull a metal flask out of his robes and take a swig of its contents before returning his gaze to the school.

Had she only glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, she'd have thought it was Ron. He looked about her age, with curly thick dark ginger hair, but having stared at him for quite a few minutes she realized how different they were. This boy was a lot smaller then Ron, not quite as thin and lanky, and when he'd drank from his flask she'd seen a flash of dark amber eyes. She wondered briefly if she could remember anyone in her year with that description, from the way he was looking at Hogwarts she was sure he must have been a student.

"Have you seen the Obelisk?" His soft, deep voice snapped Hermione out of her train of thought and she suddenly became aware that he had tilted his head in her direction.

"Oh!" She felt her cheeks turn pink and shook her head quickly.

The boy turned back to the castle and nodded his head slightly towards the grounds. A huge black monument was sparkling in the distance; Hermione vaguely remembered reading something about a monument in the papers.

"It honours all those who died in battle... 'May we live in the knowledge that there is always hope, and those who died shall live on in our memories and our hearts, as long as hope survives.'" His

eyes were closed and he was clearly quoting the words he knew to be engraved on the shining marble of the obelisk. "I hear that there's one in the entry hall for those who fought" Once again his focus turned onto her. "Its amazing how three witches and wizards, barely of age, managed to win the war - isn't it, Granger?"

She was caught off-guard by the sudden use of her name. "How...?"

He gave her a smug smile, which quickly faded as a thought struck him. "I know that blood status doesn't matter any more, being muggle-born doesn't make a difference, but during those times..." He shook his head, leaning forwards against the fence in front of him. "It made things a lot harder. I'm sure a lot of people regret how they treated you."

She stared at him, not sure what to say. He acted like he knew her, and there was something familiar about him, but she couldn't place who he was.

"Did you go to Hogwarts?" She asked softly, walking forwards so she was standing closer to him.

"Yeah. I was in my last year during the battle." It was hard to see his face but his features seemed to darken as he said this, she got the feeling that he didn't mean to tell her that.

He was in his last year during the battle? That meant her was in the same year as her, so why did he seem so unfamiliar to her.

"Which house were you in?"

He hesitated before answering her and when he did it was so quiet that she almost missed it.

"...Slytherin." Though he was still facing the school, Hermione could see that his amber eyes had now dropped, staring at the floor. "And I'm not bloody proud of it." He added, a little louder and with more certainty.

She tried to think back to all the lessons she'd shared with the Slytherins, she definitely didn't remember anyone like him. "I don't think we've ever met, have we?"

For a moment she thought she saw fear flash across his features, and he hesitated for even longer before he shook his head. "I... I was home-schooled" He said, turning to face her, now leaning with his back on the fence. "You know, until they forced everyone to go to Hogwarts." Now she could see his face she noticed something strange in his amber eyes, still fixed on the floor. What he was saying made sense, but something in his eyes unsettled her, the way he never made eye contact. Why would anyone want to lie about something like that?

"If you don't mind my asking, what's your name?"

This time it was unmistakable, fear flitted across his eyes before returning to his calm gaze. "No. Not at all... I guess I should have mentioned it before now." He commented, hesitating again. He only seemed to hesitate when it came to talking about himself. He ran a hand through his hair before answering: "Tom. Tom Spink."

She nodded still not believing that he was telling her the truth, but not knowing why. "I would tell you mine, but you seem to already know who I am." She commented, leaning against the tree so that she was standing right opposite 'Tom Spink'.

"Look, I know this doesn't mean much," and for the first time his eyes lifted to meet hers, "but I'm really sorry for everything that happened to you."

She held back a small gasp as she saw the truth behind his eyes, married with what seemed like sorrow. It was as if one of the Death Eaters themselves were apologizing. As this thought crossed her mind, her eyes wandered towards the boys left arm, hidden beneath his black robes, as she wondered if she'd discovered his secret.

He shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. He seemed to realize her train of thought and pulled back his left sleeve. She let out a grateful sigh of relief as she saw the unmarked skin of his lower arm, before he pulled his sleeve back down to block the cold. He stood up from the fence and she realized that he was a lot taller than he'd seemed when he'd been slouched.

"I suppose you've got a right to be suspicious," he commented, no longer meeting her gaze, although he seemed disappointed "I guess I should be going anyway."

"I'm sorry if I've offended you."

"No. Even if I had been a Death Eater, I wouldn't have been a good one. I don't think I'd be able to do anything too bad." He smiled sadly as he looked her over again. "Well, it was nice seeing you again. I'm glad everything turned out alright, you know, in the end." With that, he started walking back into Hogsmead, leaving her to stare after him as he turned the corner, pulling his hood over his face.

When Hermione returned to the Three Broomsticks later that evening, she found that a hastily written note had been left from Harry.

'Sorry about our meeting Hermione but Ginny is feeling ill right now

and I promised to stay with her for tonight.

I promise that I'll meet you tomorrow at the three broomsticks' at 2 O'clock. Once again i'm sorry

Harry

Even though she understood why her best friend wasn't coming, she couldn't help feeling disappointed. She really wanted to talk to him about the boy she'd met. Maybe Harry would remember who he was, it was annoying her how familiar he'd seemed.

Yawning, she dug into her pocket ready to pay for a room here instead of going home. She'd half gotten her purse out before realizing that there was more on Harry's parchment

'P.s heres some money in case you felt like staying overnight'

And sure enough, Cellotaped to the bottom of the letter was just over the amount of money she'd need. She used the money rent a room upstairs and buy another Butterbeer to take up with her. That night she fell into a strange dream, about a mysterious Slytherin boy named 'Tom Spink'.