Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
11,352
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
858

How Looks Can Deceive

Summary:

The World's Fair is bombed and a crooked General accuses Ben, Katie and Lucas of doing it.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

How Looks Can Deceive
by Alicia Campbell

Kathryn Hitchcock could feel her blood boiling. She was rooted to the spot, unable to move even if she desired to. And what she was seeing made her desire to do nasty things. She didn't know what she would do, but she knew she'd smack that little girl's hands off her… off her friend's chest. Katie took a deep breath. They weren't married anymore. Plus, it wasn't like Ben didn't flirt with everything that moved and breathed. Usually they were just smarter than to flirt back. That or Katie made sure they got the message. Benjamin Kreig was off limits, every female on SeaQuest knew that. Katie could see she'd just have to explain things a little to the visitor.

Captain Bridger had sent her down to "check" on Ben. He'd known someone would need to show the pretty, little rich girl around and he also knew Ben would be ideal for the job. His easy charm and ability to talk his way out of anything made him the model diplomat. That is, when he wasn't talking his way into trouble. Bridger had known of this facet of Ben's character as well, which is why he'd sent his Lt. Commander down to check and make sure Ben was behaving himself. Katie wasn't so sure about that one, but they both seemed to be enjoying themselves.

"Men!" Katie huffed softly and turned away from the hurtful scene. True, she and Ben had been divorced for almost a year now, but that didn't mean the feelings were gone. She still loved him with all her heart; sometimes she just couldn't stand him. Ben was, in so many ways, still a little boy. He played and teased and rarely took anything seriously. And some things in life were meant to be taken seriously, like a marriage. Ben had seen it as a step up the dating chain. She'd seen it as a life long commitment. But then, why had she been the one to demand a divorce?

Shaking her head, Katie decided not to dwell on the past. It was done, probably forever. Nothing could convince her to fall for Ben Kreig's sweet charm or adoring smile again. She wouldn't be privy to his secret glances or private jokes. It hurt too much. Ben was something she couldn't control, no matter how hard she tried. And that meant leaving herself open for pain. Katie hadn't been able to trust Ben enough to be sure he wouldn't cheat on her or leave her. Funny though, that during their marriage he was always the first one home and patiently waiting for her. He'd even listened to her reasons for wanting a divorce and complied quietly. It was the only thing she'd ever seen Ben do quietly. Now she realized her lack of faith hurt him deeply and even he knew a marriage was nothing without trust. She'd like to think it was just because he was always so popular: so well liked by every female he met, that she was insecure. The fact that most men deemed her work-oriented and a feminist hurt her pride more than she wanted to admit. She could never stand it when they'd go to parties and people would flock to Ben, and yet he would simply stay by her side. She knew she'd been holding him back, but couldn't accept the fact that he might prefer her company. So she'd concentrated on her work and pushed Ben away, out of her life. At least, that was the way it was supposed to work. Until she got her coveted position aboard SeaQuest and here he was, waiting patiently for her again. Katie wondered sometimes if she was wrong. If she was letting her pride and insecurities destroy the most beautiful thing to ever happen to her. Of course, it was already destroyed now, so it didn't matter.

Katie was so deep in thought she didn't even see Lucas until she smashed right into him. Lucas never watched where he was going, but the crew was accustomed to moving out of his way. His eyes were always focused on his computer, a pencil gripped between his teeth.

"Lucas, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" She carefully helped the slender youth to his feet. Lucas was only fifteen, but he was a genius and a computer prodigy. Though doubted at first, his place aboard SeaQuest was now certainly assured.

"I'm all right, I should've been watching where I was going." The lopsided grin on his face assured Katie that he knew this was often the case.

Katie bent and picked up Lucas' laptop for him, carefully brushing it off. He grinned at her and took back his most prized possession.

"I'm surprised you're not down at the docking bay meeting Miss Elizabeth Harley." Katie tried to keep the bitterness out of her voice, but was shocked at the look of disgust that crossed Lucas' face. A young, beautiful girl visiting SeaQuest was usually all it took to put him on cloud nine.

"No thank you. She's a spoiled rich girl who's used to going to parties and socializing and probably doesn't even have time for her own family." Katie got the parallel then. Lucas was thinking of his own mother, who had been too busy being socially connected to even pretend to raise her son. The neglect still affected Lucas deeply, though he rarely spoke of it.

"Well that's okay. Between you and me, I think Kreig has got her completely monopolized anyway. Why don't we go down to the mess hall and get something to eat? Maybe we could organize a game of poker without him. Think of how pissed he'll get when he finds out."

Lucas finally grinned at Katie's sly teasing. Ben loved poker and had nightly games set up. Missing one and then finding out Katie sat in his place, wouldn't make him very happy.

"Let's go."

"So, Bill, you're telling me that you've turned the UEO's flagship into an escort service?" Captain Nathan Bridger was none too pleased with this turn of events.

"Nathan, calm down. It's nothing like that. We wanted SeaQuest to make an appearance at the World Fair anyway. Now you've just brought a passenger along. It's not like you don't transport scientist and dignitaries places." Admiral Noyce hoped this explanation would soothe his friend's temper.

"But they are important! They aren't just going to some gala party event! What does it say to the crew when we start catering to the rich? This boat is not a glorified limo!"

As Nathan slammed his hand on the table to make his point, Bill started to laugh. He couldn't help himself. Seeing Nathan so upset about something so trivial was just hilarious. All the important things they could be discussing and they were arguing about a 25-year-old who would be off Nathan's boat in a week. Nathan slowly looked at Bill and couldn't help his own laughter. Together the two senior officers laughed until their sides hurt.

"Well I suppose I could withdraw my complaint as long as it doesn't happen again." Nathan finally agreed.

"I promise to make sure your next transportee is more worthy of your time." Both men laughed again at this.

"I will speak with you later Bill. I suppose I should go meet the girl." Nathan punched the button that ended the transmission. He still didn't like having the girl on the ship, but he wasn't going to argue anymore.

On his way to find the girl, Nathan passed the moonpool and was surprised to see Darwin floating placidly by the edge. Usually nothing could keep the dolphin still for more than a minute except food. Then he saw a certain blonde teenager curled up next to his best friend.

Ever so slowly, Nathan entered the room and stooped by Lucas's side. "Hey kiddo. Something bothering you?" One look at Lucas's tear stained face was enough to assure him of this, but he wanted Lucas to talk to him.

"It's nothing Captain." Lucas quickly sat up and splashed some water on his face.

Nathan sat down and dangled his legs in the water. He didn't care about getting his uniform wet; he was more concerned with Lucas at the moment. "If you told me, I could help."

Lucas sighed at the gentle tone in Nathan's voice. It told him Nathan was going nowhere until he was positive Lucas was all right. This security was reassuring and gave Lucas the strength to speak.

"I went to meet that girl earlier. Ben called me to tell me she was hot and I might have a chance with her." He smiled softly at Nathan's dismay. "So I went to meet her. She took one look at me and deemed me unworthy. She turned her rich little nose up at me and asked Ben why they allowed children on the boat. He got so mad she immediately apologized, but by then… She just reminds me of my mom I guess. I was never good enough for her either." Lucas hung his head a little, struggling with the feelings of worthlessness that he'd carried for years.

Nathan wrapped his strong arms around the boy. He loved Lucas with all his heart. He ached whenever he saw the boy suffer. And whenever the topic came to Lucas' parents, he suffered. Nathan tried hard to surround Lucas with a loving environment and a caring family, but he had years of neglect and apathy to compete with.

"Lucas, your mother was wrong. You are good enough. You're brilliant and smart and kind. You have a heart as big as this ship and love for everyone on it. You would do anything for anyone without thinking twice. Your mother doesn't know what she's missing." He paused, holding Lucas tight. "But we do. And we love you for it."

Lucas sighed and snuggled into Nathan's arms, wishing not for the first time that Nathan was his father and he'd grown up on SeaQuest. Things would have been so much simpler, and happier.

Katie was working out in the exercise room, trying to put Elizabeth Harley and Ben out of her mind. She was sweaty and tired but confident that every arm lift she did was one more than Miss Harley could ever dream of doing. This alone was fuel enough for her to continue.

She heard someone enter the room, but didn't even bother to look and see who. Until a familiar voice called out a weary, "Hello Katie."

She almost dropped the weights she was holding as Ben pulled off his uniform jacket. He then dropped to the floor and started doing pushups. "Ben, I thought you were escorting our visitor around." Katie was surprised at the lack of malice in her voice.

"I was. She got bored and went to her quarters to rest." She was pretty sure Ben rolled his eyes.

"Well at least you seemed to be enjoying yourself, when I saw you that was." Katie finished in a rush, afraid this sounded too much like jealousy.

"I was at first." Ben gave Kathryn a curious look. If he didn't know better… "She has very good manners and was fun to talk with, if that's what you mean."

"Talk?" Katie snorted. "You were flirting."

"Yes I was." Ben paused in mid pushup. "But then again, I have to flirt a lot to keep my mind off the fact that the one woman I'll ever love doesn't love me back. Excuse me." He rose and walked from the room, leaving Katie with her mouth wide open.

"I don't understand Jonathan. I mean, I hate him! I know that, you know that! Then why do I get so jealous all the time? And why did he say that?" Katie dropped onto her best friend's bunk.

Commander Jonathan Ford smiled down at Katie sadly. He knew that she still had feelings for Ben and sometimes it made him madder than anything. He couldn't stand Ben, his cocky attitude, his nonchalant deviance of authority. It rubbed Jonathan in all the wrong ways. "Katie, I can't answer these questions. Only you can."

"But I don't think I want to." She sighed. "My life with Ben is done. Why does it seem then that I'm the one clinging to it?"

"That's a very good question. But I think you know the answer." Jonathan couldn't stand the thought of Katie with Kreig again. However, he did want her happy, and if being with that moron meant she'd be happy, he'd support her. And he'd kill Kreig if he did anything stupid.

"I wish he wasn't on this boat!" Katie exclaimed dramatically.

Jonathan chuckled and sat next to her. "It'd be easier if we could just run away from all our problems. Some however, demand to be resolved. I believe this is one of those."

"You know, I'm no closer to answers then when I first came in here," Katie pointed out.

"But you feel better."

"Yes, I do." She grinned at Jonathan. "Want to go play some pool?"

"Sure," they headed out to distract themselves.

"I don't get her Lucas. One minute she doesn't want anything to do with me and the next she's jealous of every girl I hang out with." Ben didn't care about the fact that Lucas was ten years younger then him. It didn't bother him a bit. Lucas was still his best friend on the boat and got to hear all of his problems. Especially the ones that involved Katie.

"Ben, I tell you. She still has a crush on you. Maybe even still loves you. She just won't admit it." Lucas loved this. Whenever Ben told him of his problems, Lucas felt so involved and just like anyone else in the crew. It made him feel important to be privy to some of the most sought after information on the boat.

"I don't think so Lucas. When we divorced she told me she could never trust me and therefore could never love me. Those are pretty harsh words to change in a year."

"When you guys got married, it was almost like a fling! You were the top of your class, the two most promising cadets, dating and awing everyone. You married to keep up that context. You didn't marry out of love. Now you really know each other, and I think you both like what you see." Lucas nodded empathetically. There was nothing he'd rather see than Katie and Ben get back together again. Both were like family to him and their constant bickering was amusing, but tiresome.

"Maybe… for her. Lucas, I loved her from the first time I laid eyes on her. And you're partially right, we did marry to keep up the allure of us. To keep wowing everyone at the perfection that was us together. But I loved her. I never would have cheated on her, or bored of her or any of those things she thought. Kathryn Hitchcock is the one woman in this world that I could grow old with and be happy about it." Ben sighed and tossed a fish in to Darwin. The dolphin gratefully caught it and splashed the two lightly.

"Then tell her! How do you expect her to know if you never tell her? Explain how you feel! Go for it! That's what you always tell me!" Lucas punched Ben's arm gently.

"I can't. Katie made her decision a long time ago and she'll stick to it. I won't beg her to do what she doesn't want to. She doesn't love me Lucas, I don't know if she ever did. But I have to accept that and move on. Otherwise I'll spend my whole life pining over her. And that is not an acceptable way to live. Okay?" Ben smiled at his young friend. He hoped Lucas would never have to go through what he was. He wanted Lucas to find the perfect girl who would love him unconditionally for who he was, forever and ever. He deserved that much.

Ben reached and ruffled Lucas's hair. The kid hated that. "Let go swimming."

"Play!" Darwin swam up to the edge, enthused.

"Okay Darwin, we'll play." Lucas smiled and grabbed a wet suit.

"Captain we're about two hours out of docking for the World Fair. Traffic is packed. It might take longer than that." Miguel Ortiz informed his Captain.

"Keep me posted Mr. Ortiz. And let's not forget to remind them who's the big ship. I don't want to be here all day." The entire bridge crew smiled at their Captain's words.

About ten minutes later, Tim O'Neill called for Nathan's attention. "Sir, the port officials have contacted us. They said they're clearing our spot now." Nathan smiled at his communications officer.

"Tell them we're very pleased and we will wait for their permission to dock."

"Aye sir."

"All hands to the bridge," Nathan announced.

A few minutes later, Katie, Jonathan, Lucas, and Ben all came to the bridge. Each officer was dressed in his or her dress uniform, as had been requested by UEO. Lucas had simply donned his "uniform" of baggy jeans and an oversized baseball shirt. Nathan gave him a slight frown, to which he grinned.

"As you all know, UEO has requested that SeaQuest and her crew make an appearance at the Fair. This means shore leave time for everyone. However, I do not want things getting out of hand. You are representing UEO and SeaQuest, don't forget that." He paused, looking over the serious faces of his crew. He knew they would cause him no embarrassment. "Now go have some fun!"

The crew let out a cheer and carefully moved towards the dock. Those who had volunteered for to stay until the second shore leave, settled back to their posts and wished their friends good luck.

Nathan caught Lucas's arm on the way out. "Lucas…" He paused, he didn't want to sound untrusting. "I'd like you to stay out of trouble. Do you think you could travel with a slightly larger group? Say, more than you and Kreig."

Lucas had to grin. Kreig and him got into enormous trouble constantly and he could tell the Captain was trying to delicately avoid it this time without acting like he didn't trust them. "Yes Captain, we'll take Miguel and Tim with us." He grinned, knowing that the four of them had caused some havoc as well.

Nathan just shook his head. "At least that's two more people to watch out for you."

"Exactly sir." Lucas grinned and winked. It felt great to know the Captain cared about him enough to check on him. He saw Bridger grab O'Neill on his way out and speak softly to him. He knew Tim was, by far, the most responsible in the group and that Bridger was telling him to keep an eye on Lucas. Lucas just laughed and hurried after Kreig.

"So where should we go first?"

"Wherever there's large amounts of woman!" Miguel exclaimed.

"Don't you think we should show Lucas some of the sites?" Tim tried gently. He got eye rolls and shoulder punches. "I had to try. Just try not to make it a bar guys."

"Where else are the most gorgeous single women going to be?" Ben demanded.

Tim groaned and followed his troublesome friends towards the most crowded bar in sight. Lucas just grinned and hurried next to them. He felt important, surrounded by UEO officers in dress uniforms. But it felt even better that he was spending the evening with his friends. That reminded him, "Um guys?" Lucas carefully cleared his throat.

"What is it?" Ben knew this tone of voice, Lucas wanted to say something serious.

Lucas dropped his eyes to the pavement. "My parents are here somewhere and I would, well, I'd really appreciate it if we didn't run into them."

It took a minute before Lucas's words sunk in. It made everyone a little mad to think what his parents must have done for Lucas to not even want to see them. It was Miguel that spoke first. "Sure thing kid. Anything you want."

"After all, this is a night without authorities." Ben pointed out.

"Does that mean I get to get drunk?" Lucas asked, eagerly.

The four officers exchanged looks. "Well maybe a glass."

"Miguel!" Tim declared.

"Well somebody's got to let him be a kid. Better he drink it with us there then sometime by himself."

"Ortiz has a point. But only one glass!" Kreig announced.

"No, no, no! This is exactly what the Captain…" Tim trailed off with a guilty look.

"Need I remind you who's senior officer of this little jaunt?" Kreig asked sweetly. O'Neill groaned, but decided at least he had an excuse now.

"Let's go ruin my chances at a promotion," he groaned

"Oh, look at it this way Tim, we can blame it all on Ben now." Lucas slung an arm around his friends and they both laughed. Ben shrugged. He got in enough trouble, a little more would be worth it if it made Lucas happy.

The quartet wandered into the bar. Ben carefully ordered drinks for all of them. Before they knew it, Lucas and Miguel were both dancing, Ben was flirting, and Tim was talking shyly to the waitress.

"Lucas, where did you learn to dance?" Miguel had never seen his young friend dance before and he was intrigued. He wanted to know who on the small boat had taught Lucas these moves.

"Wouldn't you like to know Miguel? Maybe if you're really nice, I'll give you a lesson someday!" Lucas was exhilarated. Ben had let him have a glass of alcohol and now he was dancing with a pretty girl at least five years older than him and he was having a blast!

He spun to the loud music and for half a second he thought the explosion was part of the song. Then things were flying through the air, people were screaming, and the building seemed to be crumbling around them. Unsure what to do, Lucas dove under a table. Something crashed onto it and the legs broke. The weight of the table and whatever was on top of it came crashing down on Lucas and he lost his breath in a gasp. Hazily he smelled fire.

Miguel had been dancing. He was insulted by Lucas's comment. He was Latin, why would he need dancing lessons? He'd recognized the sound subconsciously and had thrown himself and his dancing partner to the ground before the bomb even stopped exploding. It wasn't quick enough as a huge support beam cracked and came slamming down on him, turning his world to blackness.

Tim was just sitting with the waitress, flirting gently, when they both heard the noise. She'd asked him what it was, but he assured her it couldn't be… and then everything had exploded. Tables were flying, people were falling, and he couldn't find any of his friends. What was going on?

Ben was at the edge of the room, looking out a window. Everyone looked so happy. Couples strolled the Fair, arm in arm, smiling at secret jokes. They all shared something that he couldn't grasp, something he somehow didn't offer Katie. He wished he knew what it was. Then maybe he'd have a chance of fixing it. A chance of getting her back. Of course, Katie was back on SeaQuest with Commander Ford waiting patiently for second shore leave. Ever the responsible one, or maybe she was just avoiding him. With a determined sigh, he turned back to find his friends. He saw the explosion as it happened. Somewhere outside the building, a bomb exploded. He realized it was a chain reaction and there were many bombs, because he could hear another one go off right after the first. The next one was the bar and he could feel the whole building shake. His first thought was for his friends, the next was why would someone bomb the World Fair?

"Captain to the bridge!" Jonathan's tone caused Nathan to jump from his seat in the wardroom and rush onto the bridge. The view screen showed chaos everywhere in front of him. There were fires raging across the Fair and buildings were collapsing in front of his eyes.

"Communications, what happened?"

The shocked communications officer was typing furiously. "I don't know sir. I don't think they know. They are asking all ships to stay were they are. They don't want anyone else coming to shore."

"We can help!" Nathan exclaimed.

"They claim anyone leaving their boats will be arrested sir."

"Arrested by who? UEO? We are the UEO! Commander, assemble several emergency assistance groups. They need those fires out and they need to get people out of those buildings before more collapse. But tell everyone to be cautious for more bombs."

"Aye sir! Any non-essential bridge crew is to come with me!" Jonathan turned and led the way off the bridge. Katie quickly followed him, her gut churning. This couldn't be happening. Not when Ben and Lucas and…. Too many people for her to even think of were there.

Teams were quickly assembled and orders given out. Jonathan made a quick announcement before they left SeaQuest. "I know that we have lots of people out there. Let's try and put that out of our mind. There are hundreds of people who need our help now. Concentrate! Let's go." He led the way out into the rubble.

Ben let out a hacking cough into the darkness. He couldn't see anything. The building was still standing, though precariously. A heavy dust of ash blanketed the air and made breathing almost impossible. Taking a breath was almost like suffocating. But Ben knew he had to help. Not only was he a UEO officer, his friends were buried in the wreckage somewhere.

He could see that the dance floor had been completely demolished. Getting anyone out of there would require more than one person. So, he turned his attention to the table and bar area. Here the damage was less. Lifting several tables, he managed to find several people, one of whom was Tim.

"Okay, if you're hurt, go outside. I'm sure they have medical teams going around. If you can help, please stay!" Ben announced hoarsely.

"But what if the building collapses?" A frantic waitress demanded.

"Then a whole lot of people will die if we don't work fast." Tim nodded at Ben and together they started trying to move the heavy beams that had crashed. Some people helped, some stumbled outside, others were too drunk to make decisions either way. Tim heard his waitress friend begin taking charge and telling people where to go.

"I can't get this one to move and we aren't going to get anywhere until it moves." Ben grunted. Only now was he aware of the long sliver of shrapnel in his arm and that it was starting to bleed profusely.

"Ben, stop for a second." Tim tried to grab his friend's arm to wrap it.

"Tim, Lucas and Miguel might not have a second!" Ben couldn't help but yell. Tim looked shocked but slowly nodded consent. Together they managed to slowly roll the huge support beam.

"Oh my gosh! Is that Miguel?" Tim was already on the floor by his best friend, feeling for a pulse. "He's breathing, but he's unconscious. I don't know if we should move him." As if in answer to Tim's question, the building let out a groan and weight shifted. Wood fell from the ceiling, smashing into those below it. Tim fell after a board smacked him in the head.

"Tim, listen to me. I need you to get Miguel outside. Then stay outside. You probably just got a concussion and they need someone to organize out there. Do you here me?" Ben grabbed Tim and looked into his eyes.

"But what about you? What if the building collapses?"

Ben shook his head. "I'm giving you an order O'Neill. Get yourself and Ortiz outside and stay there."

"Yes sir," Tim said tiredly. He grabbed Miguel under the arms and started slowly dragging him out. Ben went to work trying to get everyone he saw outside the building. The entire time though, he was looking for Lucas.

When Tim finally managed to drag the heavy Cuban outside, he saw organized chaos. He could see seaQuest officers everywhere. They seemed to be running the rescue efforts. He caught a glimpse of Commander Ford and Lt. Hitchcock and yelled for them. "Ford! Sir, over here!"

The duo quickly sprinted over to their injured crewmen. "What happened O'Neill?"

"We were in the bar. Everything just exploded. I think the building's going to collapse."

"The bar's the most unstable building we've seen so far. How many people?" Tim could see Katie wanted to ask if that was where Ben was, but couldn't.

"I don't think there's many more. Kreig is organizing rescues from the inside. But he needs help."

"We'll concentrate our efforts there." Ford pulled out his communicator and relayed the order to the rescue crews. He also gave the order to get O'Neill and Ortiz back to the seaQuest asap.

Katie headed into the building, but stopped in a fit of coughing. The air was so heavy with ash, it was as if a volcano had exploded. The air was practically unbreathable. A small voice inside her whispered, 'But Ben is breathing it.' Katie quickly entered the building.

Though she couldn't see through the soot right away, she could head Ben giving orders. Orders for everyone to get out. She could hear the building creaking and shifting, coming closer to collapse every second. She hurried over to him.

"Ben! Ben, let me help!" He turned at her voice and stared at her for a moment.

"Get out Katie. This things going to collapse." His voice was thick and cracking, from inhaling too much ash.

"Then let's either get out and get the rest of the people out."

"I can't go yet. I have to find Lucas." Ben roughly shoved her aside as some debris crumbled down from the ceiling. Without another word, he continued searching. Katie joined him, feeling the sense of urgency.

"Lucas, come on buddy. Lucas, where are you?" Ben called as he shoved broken tables and fallen wreckage aside.

"Ben, over here!" Katie knew that blond hair anywhere. Together they carefully lifted the heavy table off the teenager. Katie dropped and felt for a pulse. "He's not breathing Ben!"

As the words left her mouth, one wall of the building began its graceful descent. Ben yanked Katie up and propelled her towards a window. He knew as long as Katie and Lucas got out, everything would be all right. He heard glass smash as the trio tumbled out, the building falling behind them. They could both hear Jonathan's voice, yelling at people to stay back and be careful.

Katie looked over at Ben and slowly smiled. Neither had enough breath to move farther from the building, though they knew they had to.

"You know, I'm sure Lucas would love to know you kissed him." Ben whispered. Katie nodded, understanding that Ben didn't have enough air in his own lungs to give some to his friend. She knelt over the prone figure and carefully began CPR. Ben drew in a breath and called for more help.

It was only a minute later that Jonathan ran around the building and helped Katie until Lucas drew in a ragged breath.

"Katie, take them back to seaQuest now." Ford knew that Katie would never accept being ordered back for her own health, but now she agreed.

Ben pushed over and carefully picked up the teenager. Lucas stared up at him for a minute, trying to see past the blackened face and bloody features. "Ben?" He whispered.

"Yeah kiddo. Everything's going to be okay. We're going back to the ship. Westphalen'll patch you right up." Katie quickly hurried the two men towards the docks. She knew everything would be alright as soon as everyone got trained medical attention. She was still very worried about Lucas and Ben wasn't looking much better as he lagged behind her.

Suddenly, several large, uniformed men blocked their path. "Halt!"

Katie stopped, startled. She didn't have a clue who these men were or why they weren't helping the wounded. "What? Can't you see there are injured people to help?" She couldn't help the curt tone in her voice, she was only concerned with getting her crew to safety.

"You ignored the direct command to stay aboard your boat. We are now taking you into custody for investigation concerning the bombing." The man speaking was looking over Katie's head, completely professional.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Taking a deep breath, Katie continued. "I am Lieutenant Commander Kathryn Hitchcock, UEO seaQuest. We are helping the wounded. I suggest you do the same."

"You will come with us." The commander reached forward and took a firm grasp on Katie's upper arm.

"These people need medical attention!" Katie started to twist away, but saw the rest of the security detail surround Ben and Lucas. Ben just watched her with a helpless look. Realizing that resisting would only hurt those under her command, Katie stopped. "We'll go with them," she gave the order to try and preserve some semblance of being in control.

"Yes sir," Ben said softly. He refused to give up Lucas as one of the police tried to take the boy from his arms. It looked like the situation almost escalated when the commander shook his head and the trio was lead away.

Katie was silent as they were quickly marched to waiting vehicles and shipped to an unknown destination. It all seemed too convenient that this was all set up, waiting. "You have to at least let our Captain know where we are. UEO statures…"

"It would appear that UEO has bombed us. For now, the Australian Federation will not comply with UEO statures," came the cold reply.

Katie was careful not to appear concerned. She was almost positive they were quickly becoming a scapegoat and she saw no way to escape yet. And if these men weren't following UEO statures, anything could happen. After all, they were "terrorists."

Katie quickly looked over to her two charges. Lucas was lying against the seat, his face gray and his breathing shallow. She could see large bruises forming on his lower body and wasn't sure if he could even walk. For all she knew, he had internal. bleeding and she needed to get him to a doctor quickly. She turned to Ben and found

he wasn't looking too much better. All of his exposed skin was blackened and bleeding. He had a large cut across his arm that still had metal deep inside the wound. That would get infected quickly unless she could remove the shrapnel and clean it. All in all, things were not looking good.

"Commander Ford, you're efforts have been wonderful. It looks like most buildings have been secured."

Nathan clapped a hand on a very tired Commander Ford's shoulder.

"Thank you sir. It was," he wiped a hand over his sweaty brow, "a lot of work."

"Well, return to your quarters. You deserve quite a bit of rest." Bridger smiled.

"Thank you sir. I'm just going to go check on Lucas and Kreig before I get some sleep. I've been kind of worried about them." Jonathan smiled his lopsided grin and started towards MedBay.

A hand on his arm stopped him. "Lucas and Ben aren't here. I was under the impression they were at a land hospital." Nathan's eyes showed genuine concern.

"No sir, we found them a collapsing building. I sent Katie to bring them back to seaQuest immediately. Lucas… needed attention." Jonathan frowned as more worry set into his Captain's face.

"Jonathan, they never got on the ship. I was waiting for word."

"None of them? Where could they be?" Together the commanding officers sprinted to the bridge.

"Communications, I want you to contact Lieutenant Commander Hitchcock right away." Nathan ordered before he had even set foot on the bridge.

"Aye sir." The seconds wait seemed to take an eternity. "I can't reach her sir. Maybe her PAL was damaged," she suggested hopefully.

"Try Lt Kreig or Lucas." As she did so, Crocker turned to his Captain.

"Is there something wrong Cap?"

"I hope not Mr. Crocker. I hope not," Nathan could only whisper.

"Sir I'm not receiving a response from any of them."

The entire bridge had gone silent, sensing that something important was going on. "Crocker, I want a security detail out on the double looking for them." Bridger's tone was set.

"Aye, aye Captain." Crocker saluted and turned to leave.

"Chief," Crocker turned. "Don't come back without them." The order came out sounding more like a plea, but Crocker nodded firmly.

"Yes sir Cap."

Katie pulled herself away from attending Ben as she heard voices outside their door. The trio had been locked away in a small room, with no windows, food, or beds. She'd helped Lucas lie on the cold, stone floor and he'd started coughing gently. Turning him on his side had only helped a small trickle of blood come from his mouth and solidified the fact that they had to get out of there, now.

Any attempt to remove the splinter from Ben's arm had proved unsuccessful and she'd taken to simply wrapping it in ripped cloth. Now she stood by the door, trying to overhear the conversation. She was commanding officer here, and that made it her responsibility to see these two safely back to seaQuest.

"Yes sir, they're inside. No, we haven't asked them anything. Are you sure you want to see them?" At this, Katie quickly backed from the door until she was standing protectively in front of both men.

The door opened, sending bright light into the utter darkness. Katie resisted the urge to cover her eyes and just glared into the brightness until her eyes adjusted.

"Who are you?" The self-absorbed, dressy man standing in the doorway quickly registered to her as dangerous and she lowered her glare slightly.

"Lieutenant Commander Hitchcock UEO N7738656."

"Well Lt. Commander Hitchcock, you are now a terrorist." He turned to walk away.

"We didn't do it," she hissed softly.

He turned and a malicious smile was plastered across his face. "Well, I know that and you know that, but no one else is ever going to know that." Katie felt her stomach turn as the door slammed shut.

"Katie," Ben's soft voice caught her instant attention. She hurried to his side.

"Hush Ben, it'll be okay. Just lie still." She stroked his forehead gently.

"Katie, it's not okay. Tell me what I can do to help." Ben tried to sit up, but Katie kept firm pressure on his chest.

"I'll fix it, just leave it to me." Katie hoped she sounded more confident then she felt.

"Katie you can't do this by yourself. That's your problem lady, you always think you can do everything all by yourself. Accept some help sometimes." Ben looked straight into Katie's crystal blue eyes.

She looked at him for a moment before glancing away. "Ben… I don't know what to do," her voice choked as she admitted the words.

"We'll figure it out. We'll figure it out together."

Ben's gentle smile reassured Katie as it had so many times in the past.

"Captain, I can't find a trace of them! It's like they vanished!" Crocker's words were shouted over the chaos that surrounded him.

"Well un-vanish them Chief! I've got a bad feeling about this and I want my people found!"

"Captain," Commander Ford's tone was so soft it got Nathan's instant attention. He still hadn't slept or reported to MedBay and he was starting to look strained.

Nathan hurried to his side. "Quiet!" He commanded the bridge. Instant silence followed his order.

"They said they have found the terrorists responsible for the bombing. They're about to make the press release." Jonathan sounded almost resigned and Nathan gave him a sharp look.

"What is it Commander?"

"Let's just say, I'm hoping I'm wrong. Here we go."

The vid link brightened to show an elderly man in full military dress, who looked like he'd spent a better part of the day preparing for this. He paused and waited until absolute silence filled the room before clearing his throat to begin.

"He's enjoying this," Nathan whispered and Jonathan nodded.

"Fellow Australian Federation members and people of the world, today the World's most renown occasion of festivity and joy, has been attacked. The World Fair, an event that draws citizens from every Federation to enjoy the days of entertainment and relaxation, was bombed today. Casualties are high and property damage almost complete. In the wake of this terrible event, we must search for the truth of who would purposely cause such death and destruction. Sadly, we have found the perpetrators. Three individuals were found near the bombs with incriminating evidence and have proudly admitted their crimes. It seems that the UEO sent its flagship, the seaQuest, to secretly attack the Australian Federation." He paused as reporters gasped and scribbled furiously on their notepads.

"I understand that this is a serious charge, but the proof is irrefutable. At this point, we are asking any and all UEO vessels to leave our waters immediately and return to neutral waters. Every attempt will be made to avoid war, but it is definitely a possibility. We will soon bring these criminals to trial for the world to see and judge, but for now we only ask for your sympathy and support for our grieving families." The man waved off the barrage of questions that were shouted at him and slowly exited the stage.

The bridge was completely silent as everyone digested the information and what had just been accused.

"Captain, is that Hitchcock, Krieg, and Lucas?" The ensign that quietly made the comment had all eyes upon her. Nathan nodded without a word.

"Captain, we have multiple transmissions coming in. The first is a demand from the Australian Federation to withdraw our men and leave their waters. Admiral Noyce is calling for you. We have reporters wishing for comments. Chief Crocker is trying to get through. Which do you want first?" The harried communications officer looked upset. Nathan nodded and Jonathan and he quickly called for Tim to come to the bridge.

"Patch me through to Crocker."

"Cap, what's going on? The place just erupted into holy chaos and now everybody's trying to get at us!" Crocker exclaimed in worry.

"Chief, bring your people back to seaQuest as quick as you can. We've just been accused of the bombing. I don't want anyone injured. SeaQuest out." Nathan sighed. "Patch Noyce into the ward room." He disappeared from the bridge.

"Commander," O'Neil said softly. Jonathan came up to the communications station.

"Yes?"

"Dr. Wolenczak is calling. He wants to speak to the Captain right away."

Jonathan sighed. This would be a hard conversation, but Nathan was busy right now. "Patch him through, I'll speak to him." Tim nodded and quickly tapped the controls. A second later a very angry face appeared on the screen. It was a face Jonathan hadn't seen in at least six months and it angered him that Lucas's father only checked on Lucas when image was at sake.

"Where's the Captain? I want to talk to Bridger!" He spat out angrily.

Jonathan shook his head. The man hadn't even asked about his son first. "Captain Bridger is occupied right now. You can either wait a few hours or talk to me."

Though the ultimatum obviously infuriated Wolenczak further, he nodded slowly. "I want Lucas off that boat now!"

"I'm afraid that's not possible." Jonathan bit his lip, should he tell Wolenczak? He finally decided the man deserved to know. "He's missing."

"What? You couldn't even take track of a 15-year-old boy at a time like this! What the hell is wrong with you people!" His fury was intimidating, but Ford just accepted it calmly.

"We believe Lucas and two other crew members were…. Arrested in concern with the bombing. However, I can assure they did nothing." Jonathan didn't like the way that sounded.

"What? You have got to be kidding me! My son is one of the terrorists they were speaking of? That little brat!" Wolenczak was almost choking on his own words and his face was crimson red.

"Dr. Wolenczak! Lucas didn't bomb anything!" Jonathan found his own voice rising in anger at the man's lack of trust in his own son.

"Can you prove that?" Wolenczak spat. Jonathan could almost see him calculating the best way to disown his son.

"I can! I'm sorry sir, but I was with Lucas the entire time before the bombing. He didn't do anything." O'Neil surprised himself by speaking, but he couldn't sit quietly and listen to this. His own normally slow temper was boiling.

"Dr. Wolenczak, I can assure you we will be doing everything to free Lucas and clear him of guilt. Until then, don't contact us again unless you have something constructive to add." Jonathan made a motion and an astonished Dr. Wolenczak disappeared from the screen. Jonathan rubbed his temples and sighed. Now he was going to have to explain what he'd just done to the Captain.

Realizing that the bridge was still silent, he slowly looked up. He was surprised to see matching smiles of approval on each face. Slowly, he grinned back and nodded his head. He wasn't the only one who'd realized the lack of concern or the contempt Wolenczak held for his son. They all loved Lucas and it showed. Ford carefully made his way into the wardroom, no longer dreading the conversation.

Chuckles broke out on the bridge a few minutes later when they heard their Captain exclaim, "He said what?"

"Lucas, Lucas, wake up. It's Katie. Come on buddy." Katie sighed in relief as Lucas finally opened his eyes. The teenager had been unconscious for the last couple of hours and she'd started to worry.

"Katie," he whispered hoarsely. He gave a feeble cough, which didn't even compare to the hacking Ben had been doing recently.

"It's okay, just relax." She smoothed his hair and gave him her half-grin. He smiled back and she nodded. "What's going on?" Katie wished she had some water to give him to help his throat and sighed.

"Lucas, these people are heads of the Australian Federation. For some reason, they're blaming us for the bombings." She gave a sad smile at Lucas's shocked look.

"Why?"

"I wish I knew. I've been thinking about it and all I can come up with is they must want to declare war on the UEO. This would give them an excuse and world support. If people believe it, it could eventually topple the UEO completely."

"Just because of us? And can't we just tell them we didn't do it?"

"It's not that easy Lucas. They aren't going to give us that chance. I have a feeling they're going to try and kill us before anyone can ask our side. Of course, that's not going to happen." She assured him quickly. "We're going to get out of here. I promise."

"Don't say that," Lucas whispered. He slowly took his first real look around the room. He saw it was small and cramped, with no windows or even beds. The door was large, heavy, and the hinges were on the outside. It looked like an ideal cell.

"I am saying that because we will get out of here Lucas. We'll find a way." Katie knew her optimism was forced, but necessary. She couldn't have anyone giving up hope.

"Katie," Ben called. "I think I know what they're going to do. They wouldn't have brought us here if they were just going to kill us." He paused to cough lightly then continued. "They could've shot anyone in the streets and claimed they were the terrorists. I think they wanted to imprison us, then give us the chance to escape. Our attempt to escape would prove us guilty and give them the excuse to shoot us without reproductions."

Katie nodded at Ben's logic. "That makes the most sense."

"So we don't run. Then they have to give us a fair trial, right?" Lucas asked hopefully.

"No kiddo. We have to run. It's our only chance. If we don't, they'll just kill us some other way. We gotta take our chances and go for it. We can make it." Ben touched Lucas's shoulder and the youth slowly nodded.

"I guess so. But we don't even know where we are."

"It doesn't matter. If we can get out of the

compound, or even find communications, we can contact seaQuest and they'll come for us."

"How do you know? I mean, you said this was all to force UEO to war, maybe seaQuest will be far away or unable to come or…" Ben stopped Lucas's worried trail of thoughts with a hand.

"They'll come for us Lucas. That's the way it goes." Katie nodded her agreement.

"Bridger won't leave us here. Don't worry about that. Besides, you're like a son to him." Lucas blushed at the comment and smiled shyly.

"So we wait for our time and run? Are we going to split up?" Katie bit her lip at this comment.

"No. We stay together." Ben looked disapproving of her decision but Lucas nodded happily.

"It'll be easier to make sure we all get out." Katie couldn't help but give Lucas a tight hug.

"We're all getting out Lucas. I promise. Now here's what we're gonna do."

"Captain, I think I finally have a line through to General Hurthing. He was the one who gave the press release." O'Neil announced.

"Thank you, put it through in the wardroom." Captain Bridger headed off the bridge, determined to find some answers. The man who appeared in front of him was in full military dress, decked out with ribbons and medals, wearing a smug expression. He didn't look at all concerned that his Federation may soon be going to war or that hundreds of his people had died. Nathan instantly disliked and distrusted the man. In Nathan's experience if it looked like a snake, squirmed like a snake, and hissed like a snake, it wasn't a grasshopper.

He forced a cordial smile onto his face and addressed the other man. "General Hurthing, I am Captain Bridger of seaQuest. I believe you have my crew members."

"Yes, the terrorists. I must say Bridger, I am disappointed in the UEO. I don't know what you hope to gain by this conversation, but I can assure you that the terrorists will not be released." He looked like an inexperienced poker player who knew he had a winning hand.

"I am simply asking to meet with them, talk with them. We only want to be sure they get a fair trial and that international statures are…"

"UEO statures you mean. Captain, I assure they will get a fair trial and are being treated fairly.

However, I will not allow any member of seaQuest anywhere near them. I think your people have done enough already."

Bridger narrowed his eyes. The man was gloating. He had everyone right where he wanted them and he was already celebrating. "Hurthing, my people didn't bomb anything and we can prove it. We intend to prove it."

"You are welcome to try Captain, but they have already admitted their guilt. We have sworn statements. They are quite proud of the horror they have caused."

"Do you realize one of the people you are holding is a fifteen-year-old civilian?"

"Yes, it's unfortunate when they are corrupted so young," Hurthing had the audacity to smile broadly.

"If any of my people are injured I swear, you will regret it." Bridger rose from his seat.

"Captain are you threatening me? That doesn't speak well for your crews' innocence. In fact, it only supports the suggestion that they were under your direct orders. I advise you not to contact me again Captain Bridger," and with that, the arrogant man disappeared.

"All right General Hurthing, but I guarantee I'm going to find out what kind of twisted game you're playing, and when I do, you'd better pray that you're far, far away." Nathan turned and walked back out to his bridge.

"I think it's time," Katie whispered. They could hear the guards talking loudly, one explaining that he was going to the bathroom and would be back shortly. The second announced he would bring the prisoners some food.

A minute later, the door opened and the guard leaned over to set down some food. The setup was so obvious, but they had no choice. Katie slammed her fist into the back of the man's neck and he slumped to the ground. For some reason, he had no weapon on him.

"This is ridiculous! Do they think we're that stupid?" She hissed.

"I have an idea." Ben grinned and Katie felt a wary look come to her face. Unfortunately, it was a good idea.

The first guard peeked around the corner. The prisoners should have fallen for the bait by now, why hadn't they appeared? He was starting to worry when his fellow guard reemerged from the cell, unharmed. The General was going to be upset.

"They didn't go for it?" He exclaimed, hurrying over. Only then did he realize the man in uniform wasn't his coworker. But by then Krieg had knocked him out and now they had a weapon.

"Come on!" He called. Katie helped Lucas quickly limp out of the room. "Which way boss?"

Katie carefully considered the directions. Finally, she choose to head towards where the guard had been hiding. Ben scouted ahead, his uniform giving him the element of surprise.

It quickly became evident that the compound they were in was quite large., it was unlikely they'd find their way out without tripping an alarm. "Lucas, we need you to hack into their computer system." Hitchcock felt terrible for asking this of the teenager. His pallor was ashen and she could tell walking was torture for him, but she saw no alternative. Lucas just nodded vaguely and Ben quickly secured them a terminal.

Katie stood guard and told Ben to rest while Lucas worked. He gratefully sank to the ground and offered Lucas encouragement. Lucas forced his tired eyes to concentrate on the computer screen. This should be a piece of cake. At least, it normally would be, if circumstances were normal, which they weren't. Shaking his head, Lucas forced himself to focus. Carefully pealing back security layers, he searched for a map of the compound. It was easy enough to find, but he also found tons of security alarms. This wasn't going to be easy.

"Okay, there's security everywhere. I think we've already tripped some. The only solution I see is to shut all the power down and run like heck," he shrugged helplessly.

"If that's what we need to do, do it." Katie nodded. Seconds later power died all over the compound and people started yelling. "Come on boys, they're going to be looking for us now." Katie took the map and helped her injured charges up. Now they needed to run.

"I want to know where my crew members are. Mr. Ortiz, I want you to connect the WSKRS to satellites and do whatever you need to find them. O'Neil I want you listening to all communications and see if someone talks about our people. Ford, I want you looking over maps of the Australian Federation and find out where the most secure place would be for them to hide our people. Crocker, I want you to assemble a small team and have it ready to penetrate whatever we may come up against. There is a clock and for Hitchcock, Krieg, and Lucas it may be running out." The entire bridge nodded at their Captain's serious words and dedicated themselves to finding their friends.

Ortiz was starting to get frustrated when something caught his attention. "Commander, can you tell me what's at these coordinates." He fed coordinates over to Ford's station. A minute later Ford responded.

"It seems to be some kind of factory for making weapons. It's very secure. Why?" He looked up at his sensor chief hopefully.

"Because they have completely lost power while all the buildings around it are fine. They aren't sending out any communications and seem to be in a lockdown. I'm not sure, but it could be our people trying to escape."

"It's our best shot right now. Helmsmen, plot the course. Let's go find them."

"Katie, Katie, I have to stop." Lucas gasped. Reluctantly, Katie motioned for Ben to stop. Lucas doubled over and gasped quietly. Ben stood ridged against the wall, determined not to give in to the pain assailing him. Lucas was starting to worry him though, the kid couldn't run much more. He looked at Katie and found similar concerns in her eyes.

"Lucas, you have to tell me how you're feeling. Can you keep going?" She soothed his hair.

"We don't have a choice," he choked out. Katie reached to wipe a trickle of blood away from his mouth.

"I'll carry him." Ben declared.

"I don't think so. You're in no condition to be walking yourself. Maybe I can carry him." Katie knew she was military trained and in top condition, but she wasn't sure how far she could carry the teenager.

"I can," Lucas stopped and put a hand across his chest. He slid to the floor and closed his eyes.

"That settles it. Ben, you keep scouting. We're right behind you." She scooped Lucas up and he whimpered softly. "It'll be okay. I promise." Katie felt like a liar when she assured him of that, but she didn't know what else to do. He just nodded tiredly. "And don't go to sleep. Try and stay awake for me, alright kiddo?"

"I'll try," he whispered.

Katie's head jerked up as she heard a commotion in front of them. She stopped short of the next corridor and heard yelling. She heard a shot and then running feet. Instantly she realized that Ben was drawing the guards away from them. He was also separating from the group.

She shook her head angrily. "He never could take orders. I told him we stayed together." She quickly darted through the now empty corridor and headed outside. Ben's only chance now was them finding seaQuest.

"Cap, my team's assembled and we're ready to go." Crocker announced confidently.

"Captain, request permission to lead the team," Jonathan asked softly. He felt completely responsible for this situation. After all, he'd given the order for Katie to separate and return to seaQuest.

"Permission denied." At Ford's shocked expression, Nathan added, "I'm leading the group. Let's go."

As the team headed off the bridge Jonathan called, "Good luck Captain!"

"And bring them back safe," O'Neil whispered.

Katie was outside. She couldn't believe how wonderful it felt to bask in the wind and bright sunshine. She darted to a tree and carefully lowered Lucas. A quick glance was all she needed to realize he was unconscious and sickly pale. Another check confirmed that his heart rate was slow and breathing shallow. Time was running out. Looking around, she spotted the shore and guards milling around it. They knew the prisoners would head for the ocean. It was the only possibility for escape.

"Fine, they expect me down there, so we go in the opposite direction." She carefully lifted Lucas and started around the building when something stopped her. Looking back into the water, Katie saw nothing, but the feeling remained that they were coming. SeaQuest was coming. Finding a hiding place, Katie sank against the wall. She carefully patted Lucas's cheeks and tried to wake him up. "Lucas, come on Lucas. I know you can hear me. If you wake up, I'll.... um.... Get you a date with anyone on seaQuest that you want. I don't care who it is. Just wake up please!"

Lucas moaned and shifted. "Please, I want to sleep," he whispered hoarsely.

"Soon, I promise. First, I need you to stay awake until seaQuest comes. Can you do that for me?"

Lucas slowly blinked his baby blue eyes open. He stared at Katie for a long minute before nodding slowly.

"Good, I'm just going to keep talking to you. How about them Marlins?" She knew the boy's fondness for the baseball team and intended to exploit it. His small grin was the only encouragement she needed. "Personally, I think they made a terrible trade. They lost their best pitcher." As Katie continued to ramble on, her eyes were sweeping the area. It wouldn't take long for the guards to find them. Unless, of course they knew Lucas was sick and intended to let him die before recapturing her. Katie forced the thought away lest her temper get the best of her.

"Katie." She quickly turned towards the soft whisper. "Katie, I hear Darwin."

"Hush," she smoothed her hand over Lucas's hot temple. With a frown, she realized she could hear a dolphin. But Lucas couldn't possible distinguish that it was Darwin, could he? A glance towards the water showed a sleek dolphin leap out of the water in a graceful twist. Chattering excitedly, it attempted to capture the guards' attention. It seemed to be working. "Lucas, I think you might be right. However, that couldn't possibly be Darwin. Could it?" She stared down at the secretive grin that dominated Lucas's pale face. "Could it?"

Katie knew that now was the time for action. If Darwin was the distraction, then the real help had to be coming in close by, but not to close. She searched the ocean until her attention drifted to one of the docks. She wasn't sure, but it looked like an inflatable boat underneath the dock. She squinted as sunlight flashed in her eyes. Unless, it wasn't sunlight. Katie let out a sigh of relief. They were signaling her! "Okay buddy, here we go. We have to sneak over to the marina. Come on," she pulled Lucas over her shoulder in a fireman's carry. She carefully darted towards the shore. She knew it was unlikely she'd make it there without being spotted, but she had to try. She heard a zap as seaQuest's crew shot one of the guards. Nathan himself sprinted forward and grabbed Lucas from Katie.

"What happened to him?"

"He needs to get back to seaQuest now, but we have to go inside and get Ben!" Katie gasped to get the words out.

"Crocker, send the boat back to the launch and get Lucas and Katie back to seaQuest, then come back for us." Crocker nodded and turned towards the small boat.

"No!" Katie stopped, shocked that she'd just yelled at her captain. "Sir, request permission to stay. I have to get Ben out. He got caught to protect us. Please!" Her ice blue eyes pleaded the captain to consider her plea.

After a second of consideration, Bridger nodded. "Permission granted. No one knows the compound better than you do. Crocker, get Lucas out of here."

"Aye sir."

Katie led the small group back towards the jail she'd just escaped. But nothing would keep her from saving Ben, he deserved that much from her. As they reached a door, an alarm started to sound. Katie took a gun and hurried inside.

After the second turn, Katie wished she'd kept Lucas's map. But wishing wouldn't help now. She relied on her memory and instinct. She knew she could find Ben, she could almost feel him. They turned a corner and ran smack into a corridor full of armed guards.

"Drop your weapons."

"Drop your own," Bridger responded. "By order of the UEO, you are all under arrest."

 

"Captain Bridger, how nice to finally meet you in person." Behind the guards appeared General Hurthing. He held a gun to Ben's temple.

"General Hurthing, it's about time. Let my crewmember go this instant."

"It's a shame that UEO didn't follow our demands. They've broken into our territory in an attempt to break free their terrorists to avoid the trial. We had no choice but to declare war on the UEO. Military leaders will rise in power. The figurehead leaders in power now will quickly be dismissed. The world will depend on its military. People like you and me, Captain Bridger. You should thank me." His confident smile was enough to enrage Katie.

"You pompous fool. You don't even care who you kill to gain your power! You think people are really stupid enough to put you in power? They'll see right through you."

"Of course they'll put me in power. I'm the one who captured and defused the UEO terrorist threat. They'll throw themselves at my feet." He sneered at Katie.

"And you will die a disgrace. Your family will believe you a terrorist who caused a world war. Congratulations Lieutenant Hitchcock."

"Enough of this. Surrender and things will go easier on you." Bridger's remark was issued sternly and with power. Several of the guards started and looked nervous. Bridger's authority was evident and he commanded respect. He turned to look at the guards. "What do you think will happen after he kills us? If he honestly gets the power he desires, do you think he'll share it with you? Or do you think that you'll end up being the grunts who are sent to war? Who will fight his war, him or you and your families? Who will die when the peace ends? Your friends or will he sacrifice himself? And what about after he rules? Do you think the laws he institutes for your Federation will be fair and just? After seeing the way he's treating us to get what he wants, do you really think that he won't dispose of you once you become a liability? His power comes from each of you. You each have the power to take back the sanity and restore order to this. You know that these people didn't commit the crime they've been accused of worldwide. They are simply military men, just like you. They were trying to help your people, after the bombing when they were kidnapped, held hostage, and almost killed, all for doing their job. Their fate, and the fate of many others, lies in your hands. I trust you to make the right decision." Bridger managed to look at each guard during his speech and it was obvious that he'd reach them.

After looking at one another, they stepped aside and dropped their weapons. Hurthing looked enraged and dragged Ben backwards. "You imbeciles! Don't listen to him! Listen to me! I am in charge here!"

"Not anymore Hurthing. Let him go and we'll get this over with. Just give it up," Bridger looked straight at the General. "Let him go."

"No, I'm leaving and he's coming with me. That is, if you want him alive." Katie knew instantly what she had to do. Hurthing's entire attention was directed at Bridger. It was now or never.

Katie launched herself towards Hurthing. She managed to knock the weapon from his hand, and then everyone was helping her subdue him. Once handcuffs were on Hurthing, Katie quickly grabbed Ben. He was beaten and bruised, but he gave her his bright smile.

"Nice to see you again gorgeous." He quipped.

"Shut up." She took his chin and looked straight into her love's eyes. "You always did talk too much. Why don't you just shut up and kiss me." With that she lowered his face and kissed Benjamin Krieg with all the love she had. For once, he was speechless.

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Alicia Campbell.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.