Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
123,640
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
64
Hits:
1,867

Temporary Duty

Summary:

Lucas and Tim get assigned temporarily to the Outriggers, a kind of commando group within the UEO, and end up having to accompany them on a mission

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Temporary Duty
by A.T. Jackson

Lucas Wolenczak looked at the outside of the building and wondered if they were in the right place; it was more conventional than he had been expecting. The tall concrete structure looked like an average office building; somehow he had expected something more sinister looking. Glancing at Lieutenant Tim O'Neil, he wondered if the communications tech was having the same thoughts. However, since the request had come in from the Outriggers for assistance, he had not had much time to think.

According to their leader, Commander Hunter McKinnon, they were in need of a computer specialist and a linguist. Since the seaQuest was due to be docking for minor repairs, Captain Nathan Bridger had consented to the loan of two of his crewmembers, especially after Admiral Walter Ramsey had applied some pressure.

The Captain's agreement of the assignment had eased some of the initial anxiety pangs. Almost everyone had heard about the Outriggers: a specialized group broken up into smaller units that handled everything no one else wanted. Its members were supposed to be highly unorthodox and unafraid of anything that might happen. It had even been said that most of them had a death wish, hence their willingness to take extraordinary risks. A close knit group, they rarely associated with anyone outside of the organization.

Their request for help had come as a surprise; usually the Outriggers handled their problems among the organization. Bridger had been somewhat reluctant to give in to the request, although the Admiral had assured him it was a routine assignment. While Bridger knew most of the rumors to be exaggerations, experience had taught him that nothing involving the Outriggers was routine.

"I guess we better go in," Tim finally said. "This is the correct address," he added.

"All right," Lucas agreed. He was glad that Tim was with him on this particular assignment. Bridger's assurances aside, he felt distinctly nervous about working with the Outriggers.

Inside, the building was empty except for one woman, seated at a desk. There was a door behind the desk and another off to the side, as well as an elevator located on either side of the room. There appeared to be a hallway off to the left, although there were no markings to indicate where it might lead. The two approached her, figuring she could direct them to their destination. Lucas found the silence somewhat eerie; on the seaQuest nothing was ever this quiet.

"May I help you?" the woman asked politely.

"Uh, Lieutenant Tim O'Neil from the seaQuest. We're supposed to meet Commander McKinnon here," Tim said.

"And you would be?" she questioned, looking at Lucas.

"Lucas Wolenczak. I'm, uh, here to meet Commander McKinnon as well."

"I'll need to see some identification," she instructed them. She accepted their cards. "I'll be right back," she said, disappearing into the door behind the desk.

They waited for about five minutes until she returned with two men. "They need to check for weapons," she told them calmly.

"Just stand still; it won't take long," one of the two said. Since the two men were dressed in identical black jumpsuits with no identification, there was no way to tell them apart. Lucas found the whole thing bizarre, since no one had ever considered him likely to be carrying any kind of weapon. "It's standard procedure," the man added as he finished checking them out. "We'll need to see your bags now."

Lucas and Tim watched while the two men carefully unpacked all of their belongings and searched them. Both were grateful they had not packed anything that might be embarrassing.

"They're clear," the second man told the woman.

"Okay. Thank you. Just a few more minutes," the woman informed them as she quickly typed something into her computer.

"That was certainly fun," Lucas said under his breath, earning a sharp look from Tim.

"They're pretty security conscious," Tim finally commented.

Three minutes later, another woman appeared, whom they recognized as Commander McKinnon.

"Commander Hunter McKinnon," she said, introducing herself. She wore a jumpsuit similar to the two security men, the only difference being she had a blue triangle on the right shoulder.

"Lieutenant Tim O'Neil."

"Lucas Wolenczak."

"Welcome to the Outriggers, gentlemen," she said. "Sorry about the security procedures beforehand, but we have to be careful. I'll show you to your quarters and then take you on a quick tour of where you'll be working." She turned quickly and headed down the hall without pausing to see if they were following her.

Lucas and Tim followed behind her, trying to keep track of where they were going without much success. The hallway seemed long and they made a lot of turns. All the doors were painted the same color with no numbers to distinguish one from the other.

"We're short on space, so you'll have to share," McKinnon said, opening a door to reveal a room that held two bunks and little else. Both were grateful that the door had a sign on it, which read "guest", since, otherwise, they feared they might not find it again.

"That's fine, ma'am," Tim said, hoping they would have little time to spend in the small room. It had obviously not been designed for more than sleeping.

"You can leave your stuff here and I'll show you the lab where you'll be working."

McKinnon kept walking straight; this time, they noticed the doors had names on them, which they took to mean the rest of the crew lived down here as well. Since their guide made no comment as they walked, they could only assume they were right.

Finally they arrived at an elevator. McKinnon removed a card from her pocket and swiped it through some kind of reader.

"Entrance into the lab is secure," she commented. "You'll have to be escorted to and from." Lucas and Tim nodded their understanding, both feeling more than a little overwhelmed by their surroundings.

They watched as she pushed a button in the elevator and then punched in what they assumed was a security code. A few minutes later, they stepped off the elevator and McKinnon led them to an unmarked door. As in the elevator, she used a card and entered a code before the door opened.

"This is primarily where we work," McKinnon told them, without telling them what exactly they did. Looking around, they saw a large white room with separate cubicles, most of which seemed to empty. In the back corner sat an array of computers, which seemed to control most of the operations in the lab. There were also two doors on the right wall with no identifying marks.

"As I explained, we're having some computer problems; we think someone brought back a virus on our last assignment. We're not sure if it was an accident or deliberate, which is why we need your help," she explained to Lucas quickly.

"And we need you because our linguist, who was on loan to another company, ran into some unforeseen difficulties and we have some documents that need translating," she continued, speaking to Tim this time. "No one recognizes the language, although one of the linguists said it 'looked vaguely familiar'. Hopefully, you can translate it," she added.

"The rules here are very simple: you don't talk about your work with anyone outside of the unit. And you're stuck here until you finish," she concluded. "Once you finish, you are to remain silent about anything you learn here. Any questions?"

"No, ma'am," Tim said, which Lucas quickly echoed.

"Good. Don't worry; it's not as bad as it sounds," she said. "Most of us have kept our sanity," she added with a slight smile. Like all Outriggers, she had heard the rumors about the group and generally did nothing to correct them. They succeeded because no one knew quite what to expect from them. "While we do not anticipate being called out at this time, you should know that, if we are, you two will be deployed with us," McKinnon informed them, deciding she better explain this detail before they went any further.

"Excuse me?" Lucas asked.

"You heard me. As long as you're here, you are part of my unit; if we have to go somewhere, you will have to come too. It's the way we work."

"Is Captain Bridger aware of this?" Tim asked although he feared the answer; he knew if Bridger had known beforehand, the captain never would have agreed to send them.

"Admiral Ramsey should have informed him, yes," McKinnon told them.

"Somehow I think the Admiral forgot that piece of information," Lucas said, trying hard not to imagine Bridger's response if this actually came to pass.

McKinnon shook her head in exasperation; she should have known better than to let Ramsey handle the request, but one did not argue with an admiral. "As I said, the situation should not arise."

"Commander?" A man appeared before the trio. Like McKinnon he wore a black jumpsuit with a blue triangle on it. He appeared to be about the same height as McKinnon and wore no identification.

"Yes, Dawson?"

"The computer is refusing to accept our data again."

"We'll be working on that problem soon," McKinnon assured him. "Please have Commander Rodriquez join me," she requested.

"Yes, ma'am," Dawson responded, flashing another look at Lucas and Tim before he walked away.

"You will be working with Commander Rodriguez," she told Lucas. "He handles our engineering problems. I'm afraid our computer specialist is currently unavailable, so Rodriguez is the closest we have."

Lucas nodded his understanding; his mind still caught back on the pertinent detail about deployment. While usually willing to undertake a certain amount of risk on the seaQuest, even the remote possibility of ending up somewhere with an Outrigger unit was more than his mind wanted to digest.

"Lieutenant Commander EJ Rodriguez," McKinnon said, introducing the man whom had joined them. As the others before him, Rodriguez wore the black jumpsuit, which Lucas and Tim were beginning to understand was the standard Outrigger uniform. "Lucas Wolenczak."

Lucas felt the man looking at him and knew what he was thinking. It was what everyone thought when they first met him: that he couldn't possibly know anything that would help them.

"Nice to meet you," Lucas said politely. Looking at Rodriguez, he wondered if the Outriggers had some kind height requirement. Thus far everyone they had see had been within an inch of the same height from one another. He had a feeling that seeing them all together would be somewhat nerve-wracking.

"You too," Rodriguez said somewhat dubiously. "Commander, could I have a word with you?" he asked.

McKinnon looked at him for a moment before speaking. "I have to get O'Neil started first; why don't you show Lucas where this all started and I'll get back to you," she suggested, knowing what he wanted to ask and deciding to forestall him for the moment. Ramsey had assured her that Lucas was more than capable of handling this particular task.

"Certainly," Rodriguez agreed.

"I'll see you later," Tim told Lucas, as the teenager followed after Rodriguez.

"I certainly hope so," Lucas muttered, earning himself a quick look from Rodriguez and sympathetic smile from Tim.

"I'll introduce you to the person that's currently handling our communications needs," McKinnon told Tim. "She'll be able to show you everything you need."

"All right," he agreed, following her. The sooner he got started, the sooner they could leave. Like Lucas, the thought of deployment loomed large in his mind. He wanted to avoid it at all costs.

"This is Lieutenant Sara Adamsen," McKinnon said moments later, stopping next to a woman wearing a headset.

"Nice to meet you," Adamsen greeted him, removing her headset. "O'Neil, right?"

"Uh, yes, ma'am," he said, still feeling more than a little nervous.

"Good. We can use your help," she said. Tim felt relieved; she seemed a little more welcoming than the rest they had met thus far.

"I'll let you get started. I have to go check in with the rest of the crew," McKinnon told them. "I'll see you later."

 

"So this is where it all started?" Lucas asked, looking at the computer which appeared innocuous enough.

"Yes," Rodriguez answered shortly.

"You know what file it started with?"

"We're not sure. It started right after our last mission. Three people had files that they retrieved and uploaded into our system," Rodriguez admitted. "We're just not sure which file did it."

"You have the three files?"

"They were destroyed upon uploading. Security reasons."

"Okay," Lucas said with a sigh. "It'll take a little more time that way, but I think I can help you out. I assume you do know the names of the files."

"Yes."

Lucas sighed, inwardly this time, and hoped this assignment ended soon. Working with Rodriguez was not going to be a lot of fun. He was used to working with the seaQuest crew. Rodriguez made Commander Ford look gregarious.

"How does this computer link in with the rest of the systems?" he asked, having noticed that most of the cubicles, empty and occupied, had terminals in them.

"They're all connected. We all handle different aspects of assignments and often need access to a variety of information obtained by the crew. Access is determined by log in and security clearance."

Lucas nodded his head, still thinking about the problem and trying to figure out exactly how to start. "So not every one has total access."

"Only Commander McKinnon has total access to all information. And, of course, her superiors."

"So anything uploaded into this system could have been accessed by any one of the terminals in the lab?"

"That's right, depending on the confidentiality of the material."

Lucas ignored the tone of Rodriguez's voice, which said that he had not needed Lucas to point that out to him. "Let's start with the three files. I'll have to see if I can trace the source first. Then we'll worry about how it got here."

"I have to work on another project; let me write the files down for you," Rodriguez told him, as he scribbled on a sheet of paper. "Just make sure you don't take this out of the lab."

"Of course," Lucas wondered how anyone survived in such a security conscious job and hoped he would never find out. Sitting down at the computer, Lucas realized he was going to need access to the system. "How can I log in?" he questioned when Rodriguez did not seem to be forthcoming with the information. Lucas knew he could get into the system, but it would go much faster if he followed proper channels.

"Type in your name, last name first," Rodriguez replied. "Then type in the password."

"That would be?" Lucas prompted.

"Socrates. McKinnon came up with it."

"Okay," Lucas said, deciding to change the password before doing anything else. Although he did not consider himself any where near as security conscious as the Outriggers, he did not want the password to be common knowledge. Then he called up the first file on the list.

Rodriguez stood watching him for a few minutes before he went to one of the cubicles and started working. Lucas was content to work on his own; in fact, he preferred it that way, especially if Rodriguez was his only choice of partner.

 

"So this is what you have?" Tim asked Adamsen, who had called up the file on her terminal.

"Yes. Our linguist is unavailable and no one else can figure it out. We tried the other units, but we only have a few who know some of the more uncommon languages and they're all on assignment. Commander McKinnon was told you had enough experience to figure it out."

"I'll do my best. Is there somewhere I can work on this?" Tim did not want to spend the entire time in this small cubicle, no matter how friendly Lieutenant Adamsen seemed. He wanted a little space to study the language, which did not look familiar.

"Yes, I'll set you up on the system next to mine." "Why are there so many terminals? There aren't that many people working in here."

"Sometimes we have more than one thing going on at a time; having the extra space lets us keep everything separate. It avoids confusion."

"Oh."

"You can work here; no one's using it right now." Adamsen led him to the cubicle two away from hers. "All you have to do is log in."

Tim looked at her in surprise. "How?"

"McKinnon added you to the system earlier," she answered matter-of-factly. "You'll want to change your password though. She used Aristotle. She likes the Greeks."

"Okay." Tim sat down at the terminal and logged into the system. With Adamsen's help, he located the right file before she returned to her own station. Tim stared at the document, finding, upon closer examination, that it did looked familiar, but unable to place where exactly he had seen it before.

 

"Hey, it's lunch time," Rodriguez told Lucas, as he walked up behind him, causing the teenager to jump. He had not heard anyone approaching him.

"What?"

"Lunch," Rodriguez repeated. "You have to eat with us, otherwise they won't let you in."

"Okay, just a second," Lucas said, typing in a few more lines on the computer. "Let me finish this."

"Sure."

A quick glance at the time told Lucas he had already been working for two hours. Although he was not really ready to eat, it did not seem like a good idea to refuse. The Outriggers seemed to have very regulated schedules. Plus, Rodriguez and McKinnon were the only two he knew; if Rodriguez said it was lunchtime, he was not about to argue. "Okay."

"We'll stop and see if Adamsen and your friend are ready," Rodriguez said, leading him around to the other side of the room. "Hey, you ready to eat?" he asked Adamsen.

"Always," she said with a quick grin. "Who's your friend?" she asked when he did not introduce Lucas.

Her question earned a glare from Rodriguez before he answered. "Lucas Wolenczak, Lieutenant Sara Adamsen." "You must be with O'Neil."

"Yes, ma'am."

"They must teach etiquette on your ship," Adamsen commented as she stood. "No one else calls me ma'am, and now it's happened twice in one day."

"They don't know you yet," Rodriguez muttered under his breath.

"I heard that."

"Didn't doubt it."

"Let's get O'Neil," Adamsen said, knowing better than to engage in this type of conversation with Rodriguez; the only one who ever got the best of him was McKinnon. However, it was one of the qualities that made him human.

"Oh, hi," Tim said, looking up from the computer screen, slightly startled to see the three standing there.

"Lunch time. You have to go with us; we're your escorts," Adamsen explained.

"Okay. Do I need to log out or anything?" he asked, remembering all the other security measures.

"No, entrance into the lab is restricted. No one will see that's not supposed to," Rodriguez answered. "If they do, we'll kill them."

Both Lucas and Tim felt fairly certain the man was joking, but it was hard to tell since he did not even give a flicker of a smile. Neither one offered a comment to the statement, figuring it was best to leave it alone.

 

They went out the same door they had entered the lab by, then headed down the hall to another elevator. At least Lucas thought it was different. He was so turned around, he could no longer tell for sure. Rodriguez swiped his card and entered a code and waited for them to enter before punching a button.

"Mess is in the basement," Adamsen told them after a minute.

The elevator opened right at the mess hall, which was a large room filled with people sitting in groups. Unlike the lab, which had been almost totally silent, the room was filled with conversations, not just among people at a table, but being shouted across the room.

Lucas and Tim followed Rodriguez and Adamsen through the line and then to an empty table off to the side. Lucas looked at the food on his plate, tried to identify it and then thought better of the idea.

"Just eat it and don't think," Adamsen advised. "If you don't think, you won't taste it, I promise."

"Thanks for the advice," Tim said dryly as he took a bite. "I think we can assure Ben that we don't have the worst food in the UEO."

"Don't worry; we won't give away any specifics about the food," Lucas said when Rodriguez looked ready to say something. "Don't want to reveal any classified secrets." Rodriguez gave him a look, but both Tim and Adamsen smiled.

"Hey, Rodriguez, you guys so desperate you're adopting children now?" someone yelled as they walked by.

Lucas felt himself blushing as he looked down at his plate. "Well, they offered us someone from your group, but we already knew you weren't up to the challenge, Morgan," Rodriguez replied with a slight edge to his voice.

"Watch out, Morgan; you don't want to go there," Adamsen added before the man could say any more.

Before anything else could be said, a voice came over the central system. "Outrigger Red report to your briefing room. Outrigger Red to briefing."

Lucas and Tim watched as two tables in the corner suddenly emptied in a flurry of movement.

"What's going on?" Tim asked.

"Outrigger Red is being deployed," Adamsen answered.

"How do you know who's who?"

"The patches," Rodriguez answered, touching his blue triangle. "It's not just a fashion statement; it's our unit designation. We're Outrigger Blue."

"No one explained that to us," Lucas said in Tim's defense, not caring for the tone of Rodriguez's voice.

"This is not going to make McKinnon happy," Adamsen commented.

"Why not?" Tim asked nervously, the earlier conversation in the forefront of his mind.

"Because it's puts us up in the rotation," Rodriguez explained patiently, making both feel like he was speaking to small children. "McKinnon is never happy when we go up on the list."

"How far up on the list?" Lucas asked, although he was not certain he wanted to know the answer.

"We're in the cage. Green is on deck."

"It makes us second; Outrigger Green will be the next unit deployed," Adamsen clarified, knowing Rodriguez was being deliberately obtuse and not wanting to help him.

"So, if Outrigger Green gets deployed, you'll be next," Tim stated.

"No, we'll be next," Rodriguez corrected him with a little more humor than Lucas or Tim thought necessary. "If we go, you'll be with us."

"It shouldn't happen," Adamsen reassured them quickly. "Usually deployments don't happen back to back like that. You should be out of here before we go."

"Well, if it happens, I'm glad we don't have to tell the Captain," Lucas finally said with a wry grin.

"No kidding," Tim agreed. "Somehow I don't think anyone mentioned your little rule to him."

"Not our problem. Sullivan will draw that detail," Rodriguez commented with a shrug. "Or McKinnon. That'll put her in a good mood."

"Hey, Ryan, you know what's up?" Adamsen asked, as woman carrying a tray approached them.

Lucas saw the blue triangle, so assumed she must be another member of the unit. She gave him and Tim a curious look as she sat down.

"Wolenczak and O'Neil? Who's who?" she asked, taking a drink of water as she spoke.

"O'Neil," Tim answered automatically.

"That would make you Wolenczak. No offense, but you're a little young to be in the Navy," she said to Lucas.

"It's the new head start program; they start us early," he told her. He got really tired of explaining how he had ended up on seaQuest.

"You ought to get along just fine with Rodriguez."

"This is Lieutenant Commander Jenna Ryan," Adamsen introduced the woman, since she hadn't bothered to do it on her own.

Lucas was still trying to figure out her comment about Rodriguez, since he did not see the connection.

"So, what's the word?" Adamsen asked. "Ryan knows all the inside information."

"They're going to put out a fire," Ryan told her with a shrug.

"A fire?"

"Yeah, well it's a special fire," she admitted.

"You going to explain that?"

"Someone started a fire at the embassy; there are six ambassadors trapped in a conference room. They think we should get them out."

"They get all the fun," Rodriguez said with a sigh.

Tim could think of many things he found fun; he felt fairly confident that none of those activities involved fire. He could tell from the look on Lucas' face that he felt the same way.

"And people think being on seaQuest is exciting."

"Yeah well, we'd better get back to work," Rodriguez told him as he stood up. "See you later, Ryan."

"Okay, listen, be nice, Rodriguez. I know it goes against your grain, but try," Ryan spoke to him after Adamsen had led Lucas and Tim over to put their trays away.

"What? I'm always nice."

"Sure you are. Just don't go out of your way to frighten them. You know as well as I do, they could get shipped out with us; we do not want them convinced we're totally insane."

"You worry too much, Ryan."

"It's one of my jobs."

Rodriguez gave her a wave and joined the other three. "Ready?"

"Whenever you are," Adamsen told him. "You see what's for dinner?"

"No, I try not to ruin my afternoon by looking."

"Very funny."

"Any time."

 

Lucas returned to his computer problems, while Tim took another look at the document Adamsen had given him. Staring at the screen some more, Tim began muttering the phrases, which only earned him a passing glance from people who walked by. He had noticed that the lab did not really have that many people in it.

As he read the words on the screen, he wondered exactly how many people were on a team. He also wondered how one got selected for the Outriggers. Did they go through standard training or were they specially selected before-hand ? He avoided thinking about the deployment clause.

In his musings, Tim realized that the words were indeed familiar, he just was not used to seeing them together. Whoever had written the document had done so in some kind of code, which combined several languages.

Lucas was doing his own mutterings, most of which were not understandable to Rodriguez, who was working on the computer next to him, although Rodriguez thought he heard a few insults, directed at the computer, which he had never heard before.

"What do you think virus scans are for?" Lucas asked himself. "To kill time between jobs? What about a backup system?"

"Did you say something?" Rodriguez asked, being far more used to working in silence. Plus, he still had doubts about whether or not Lucas could even solve the problem; he had been working a long time on it and did not seem to have any ideas so far.

"I'm talking to myself," Lucas answered absently. "Was it all information or just specific information the system won't take?"

"All information."

"Any other problems?"

"No."

"Thanks," Lucas said, returning his attention to the computer. He started typing commands in, hoping to find an answer soon. The longer he remained in Rodriguez's presence, the more he wanted to finish.

If he were on board seaQuest, he would have been at least talking about the problem with one of the others: not only that, the atmosphere was more friendly. He supposed it was because he knew the people there, but here he was an outsider. Lucas felt comfortable talking things out with Hitchcock or Bridger, or Westphalen or even Ford for that matter. Rodriguez did not inspire him to just start talking.

Plus, he felt like he had to prove himself. Even though he had not said anything, Lucas knew Rodriguez seriously doubted his ability to fix the problem.

Shaking his head, he continued reviewing the information on the screen, moving slowly to make sure he left nothing to chance.

 

"So, whoever wrote it used a combination of French, Italian, Portuguese, German and Spanish," Tim explained to McKinnon, who had been summoned by Adamsen when Tim told her he had figured out the language.

"Can you translate it for us?" McKinnon asked, getting straight to the point; she had already gotten more information than she really wanted on the subject, since Tim tended to get excited about things like this.

"It'll take some time, because of the grammar and the flow, but yes."

"One problem solved," she said with a sigh. "May things continue to go our way. Do you need any help?"

"Not really. Where do you want to record the translation, since your system can't accept new data?"

"Set him up on the VRT," she instructed Adamsen. "And I need you on the transcriptions of the last assignment logs," she added.

Adamsen made a small face, which got her a stern look from McKinnon.

"Sorry," she apologized quickly. "There's just a lot of recordings. When do you need them?"

"Tomorrow afternoon at the latest," McKinnon told her, earning a groan from the lieutenant. "Sullivan's already called me twice for the information. And he remembered that the VRT is not on the same system as the rest of the computers, so he's not buying that reason any more. Speaking of which, I have to speak to Rodriguez and Ryan about getting their reports finished."

"Okay. I'll get O'Neil set up and then start on it."

"What's VRT?" Tim asked, as McKinnon walked off.

"Voice recorded transcription. Come on. I'll explain on the way to the booth."

Tim followed Adamsen to four cubicles at the front of the room. They were enclosed with a glass door in front

"Anyway, you just call the information up on that terminal," Adamsen continued explaining. "And read your translation into the headset here," she added, handing him the headset. "The system records it and puts it in text format for us to save or print out later or whatever we need to do. It saves you from typing it all in. It will show on the screen there for you to see what it's recording."

"Okay. I think I can handle that."

"Good. I'll be in the booth on the end. I have to feed our mission tapes into the system and edit them."

"Edit?"

"Yeah, Sullivan is not fond of colorful language," she replied with a smile. "So we have to get rid of the profanity. Generally it isn't a problem, but we have to make sure."

"Oh."

"So all you have to do is sit down and start talking. Let me know if you need anything."

"All right. Thanks."

Tim took a few minutes to call up the document and scan it again. He hoped the contents proved somewhat interesting. If he was going to be translating, he preferred something that at least attracted his attention, although he figured, with his luck, it would be some kind dull, instructional manual.

No one on the Outriggers had explained exactly what they thought the document was or why they wanted it translated. Of course, he had already noticed that the Outriggers were not the most talkative people.

Finally, after a few moments of study, he began slowly speaking into the headset, finding it awkward at first, but he eventually found himself settling into the idea.

 

"Rodriguez," McKinnon said, approaching him and Lucas at the computers in the back.

"Yes, Commander?" Rodriguez responded wearily. Whenever she greeted him in that tone, it was never anything he wanted to hear.

"Reports."

"Uh, I'm working on it, Commander."

"Really? So I can expect by 0800 tomorrow?"

"That soon?"

"We've been back long enough; Sullivan has already contacted me twice."

"I'm trying to finish this," Rodriguez said, indicating his current project. "You know this is not my field."

"You're going to have to break off for now. I need your report."

"All right," he gave in with a sigh, knowing she was right, but he really disliked paperwork. "I'll get on it."

"Good. How's it going?" she asked, turning her attention to Lucas.

"Just fine, Commander. The files are big, so it's taking a while to investigate the cause of your problem, since there are several places where it might have been tagged on to the data," he explained.

"Do you have any ideas?" McKinnon really needed this problem solved; the team relied on the computer system heavily and having it functioning like this made their jobs difficult. Unfortunately, the problem was not considered big enough to get them removed from the rotation list. Captain Sullivan had already explained that, if anything happened, they could use another unit's computer systems.

Sullivan was a pragmatist about these matters; he did not care that each unit had a special affinity for using their own equipment. If he needed a group in the field, they had to make do with what was available.

"Not yet," he admitted. "Although, since it just seems to be responsible for blocking data entry, I'd have to guess that it was not planted."

"I have to go work over there," Rodriguez interrupted, speaking to Lucas and pointing to a cubicle at the corner of the room. "You can come get me if you have questions."

Lucas nodded his head, and waited to see if McKinnon had any further questions for him, which she did.

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, it really doesn't hurt your system that much," he explained. "If it corrupted the existing data or something like that, then it would be more serious. Right now, all it does is deny you the right to in put new files. The information is still there; it doesn't alter it."

"Yeah, but we need to be able to add to our databases," she pointed out.

"True, but that's not a really major problem."

"Maybe not for you, but it is for us; we haven't been able to update the mission files since this all started. If we get called out on something, we need to be able to import whatever data we need. We cannot exist with what's on there now."

"I understand that. Once I find the file that caused the problem and see how it's doing it, I should be able to fix it for you," he said patiently. "But, basically that's all the virus does: stops you from adding new data, which doesn't seem to really have that much of an effect. If I was going to plant a virus, I would want it to do something, like corrupt the data itself, so you couldn't use it. I mean, if this system won't take your information, then you could just take it to another one. No big deal."

"I see your point," she conceded, thinking about what he was saying. "Well, hopefully, you're right about that part."

"I won't know for sure until I trace the full source, but that's what I think."

"Then I guess I better let you keep working. Besides I have to go make sure Rodriguez is actually working on his report and not playing video games."

Lucas stared at her for a moment; the image of Rodriguez doing anything other than his assigned task was a little hard to take in.

"Hopefully I'll get to the cause of the problem by the time we stop for the day," he offered, having figured out that she really wanted the computers working properly.

McKinnon gave him a short nod, and then turned and walked away, headed in the direction of Rodriguez. Lucas turned back to the computer screen and started working again; having told her he thought he could find the cause of the problem, he figured he had better get to work.

 

McKinnon went to find Rodriguez, since she knew he wanted to talk to her about their new help. "What did you want to talk to me about earlier?" she asked him innocently.

Rodriguez looked up from his terminal. "It's not what, but who," he corrected, looking over his shoulder.

"He can't do any worse than any of our people," McKinnon told him.

"I don't find that inspiring, Commander. He is just a kid."

"Yes, but a very smart one."

"He has access to all our files."

"Well, from what I've been told, he has access to a lot of files; he's supposed to be able to get into any system around."

"This is supposed to make me feel better?"

"He comes highly recommended. He sounds like he knows what he's doing and he's certainly making an effort. And he hasn't crashed our entire system in the process," she added pointedly.

"That was Burns," he protested.

"Yeah, well, it shut us down for two days; we can't afford that. So far, he's avoided disrupting our work. I call it progress."

"Yes, Commander," he said reluctantly. "But what happens if we go out?"

"We do what we have to, Rodriguez," she said firmly, not that the idea pleased her any more than it did him.

"Maybe our luck will hold; we've managed to avoid it in the past. Have they found replacements for Zimmer and Petrie yet?"

"Not yet. They're waiting to see how long the two are out of operation before they make a decision."

"They going to retire one of them?"

"You know they don't tell me those things until they make the decision."

"Yeah, but you can usually tell."

"Not this time," she admitted with a sigh. "I have to go find Ryan; I'll see you later."

"I'll get the report done."

"Make sure that you do."

 

By the time Rodriguez returned to get him for dinner, Lucas had only made marginal progress. The first two files were clean, so he knew the third one should be the one with the virus; however, he still had to find the problem and fix it. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and sighed.

"Any luck?" Rodriguez asked him.

"Not yet. I should find the problem in the third file."

"Good. It's time for dinner. I told Ryan we'd get her when we went; we'll pick up your friend, too. Adamsen's still working."

 

"Hi," Ryan said with, a quick smile when they approached her station. "Give me a minute to save this," she added, typing on the keyboard. "I don't want to lose this one."

"McKinnon would appreciate it, I'm sure. She's been after me about my reports all afternoon."

"Hey, Hallowell, you want to join us?" Ryan called to a man sitting at the station behind her.

"No, I'm going later."

"All right. Let's get O'Neil. I don't think Adamsen's going to see daylight any time soon."

 

"Hi," O'Neil said when Lucas opened the door to the booth; he had been involved with his translation.

"Dinner time," Ryan informed him.

"Rodriguez, McKinnon's looking for you!" someone called.

"What is it, Chandler?"

"Something with the shuttle. You better go find her; she's not a happy camper."

Lucas thought the description was an odd one to apply to the Commander, but he kept his mouth shut, especially as Rodriguez scowled darkly.

"Make sure you escort them to quarters," Rodriguez reminded Ryan. "I'll see you later."

"You'd think he was in charge of security," Ryan said dryly as he left. "One of these days he'll remember that it is my job," she added, leading the way out of the lab.

 

This time, the mess hall was empty.

"Pretty quiet," Tim remarked, looking at the vacant room.

"Well, there's more latitude in the dinner hours than the lunch hours. They only serve for two hours at lunch; dinner's open until midnight," Ryan explained.

"I wouldn't get the beef, if I were you," she advised as they got in line. "Go for the spaghetti; tomato sauce covers a variety of sins."

Both Lucas and Tim accepted her advice, although the spaghetti did not look much better than the beef, in their opinion. Sitting down, the trio ate in silence for a few minutes.

"So tell me about life on seaQuest," Ryan requested, wanting to learn more about the two and figuring this was a good way to find out.

"What do you want to know?" Tim asked, looking up from his dinner, not knowing where to start.

"Well, what kinds of assignments do you get? What's your captain like? Who do you hang out with? What do you do for fun?" she elaborated.

"We do whatever the UEO wants: sometimes we go on rescues, other assignments are just mapping missions or to gather samples for further study," Tim replied. "We are a research vessel as well as a military ship," he reminded her, noting her odd look.

"Oh, that must be interesting. I mean, I can just imagine McKinnon and Rodriguez being on a ship with scientists."

"There are problems," Lucas agreed, thinking of Ford and Dr. Westphalen.

Tim nodded, following his train of thought. "Our XO, Commander Ford, is a definite military man," he explained. "The head of the science department is also the chief medical officer, Dr. Westphalen; she's not real keen on the military part of our existence. They've been know to have words."

"Who mediates?"

"Captain Bridger," Lucas answered, grimacing at the taste of the unidentified vegetables on his plate. "He's into the research, but he understands there's a need for the military."

"Is there a lot of tension? Because of your dual purpose?"

"Some times, but we're kind of used to it now, even Ford and Westphalen," Tim replied, with a shrug. "And we have fun together."

"What kind of fun?"

"Depends on who's involved. It can be a simple game of poker or Krieg's scheme of the week."

"Who's Krieg?"

"Our morale officer. He's always got something going."

"I'm guessing that it's not always on the level?"

"That's an understatement," Lucas said with a laugh.

"So how many people are on an Outrigger unit?" Tim asked, deciding it was time to turn the tables.

"Active or support?" she questioned.

"What's the difference?"

"Actives are deployable, support stays home."

"If you have support, why are we deployable?" Lucas asked. "Shouldn't one of them be available?"

"If we had anyone in the support staff with your skills, we would be using them now."

"Why don't you?"

"In general, the Outriggers have had several busy months; a lot of our support staff has been sent on loan to other units, either for deployment or to help with the support of another unit. Plus, a lot of the support staff are not considered deployable for one reason or another. Some have been injured in the field; they're still valuable, but they can't used on an actual assignment."

"So how many do you deploy?" Tim asked.

"On average, between ten and fifteen. Our unit, in particular, works with ten. McKinnon thinks any more and you risk having chaos."

"How long has she been the commander?"

"Two years. A lot of people thought the promotion came too fast."

"Do you?"

"No. She's good. But I'd tell you the same even if I didn't believe it. We don't take our complaints outside of the unit," Ryan said firmly.

Both nodded their understanding; they both knew they would defend anyone on the seaQuest from outside insult.

"So, will you stay together until retirement or will you get moved to other units?"

"Generally, members stay with the same team; it's what makes us successful. We've been together for three years now. We work well together; we know our strengths and our weaknesses. We know how to compensate for one another."

"You ever been sent out with outsiders before?" Lucas asked.

"No. We've never been sent on assignment with anyone from outside the organization. At least, not under McKinnon's command. She tends to bring us back from our missions unharmed; that's why we like her."

"That's good to hear."

"There's a first time for everything," Rodriguez said cheerfully, joining them at the table. His comment earned him a glare from Ryan and silence from Lucas and Tim.

"Rodriguez always like to keep his eye on the bright side of life."

"I'm a realist, Ryan."

"That's one view," she agreed. Rodriguez scowled at her, but offered no further comment on the subject.

"What time do you two want to stop work for the day?" Rodriguez asked, changing the subject.

"When do you usually stop?" Tim inquired.

"Depends, but usually by twenty-one hundred hours. McKinnon thinks getting sleep is important, even when we're not going into the field. She knows we would work all night if she let us," Ryan answered.

"We're familiar with that problem on seaQuest."

"Don't look at me," Lucas protested. Tim did not say anything further; he just smiled at the teenager.

"And it's not like you've never worked all night before."

"See, now you've created dissension in the ranks. Good job, Ryan."

"Anyway," Tim continued, as if no one else had spoken, "we'll work until you guys are ready to stop. I'd like to get more translated and Lucas hates to leave the computer any time."

"Okay," Ryan said. "If you want to stop sooner, you have to let us know. You two finished?" Both nodded. "Okay, let's go back. See you later, Rodriguez."

 

Making their way back to the lab, the trio was silent, each lost in their own thoughts. Lucas returned to the computer problem, hoping to have an answer, but not sure if he would by the time they stopped. Tim returned to the booth to renew his efforts at translation. He noticed Adamsen still worked in one of the other booths.

"So, have you fixed it yet?" Rodriguez asked Lucas two hours later.

"No," Lucas replied shortly. He still had over half the file to go through before he finished. It would be his luck that the problem would take so long to find, he decided. "Did you want something?" he queried, when Rodriguez continued to stand behind him, which he found disconcerting.

"No, not really."

Lucas stifled a sigh and resisted the urge to scream. Somehow, he had a feeling no one in the lab would care as long as he did not disturb their work. He continued scanning the information on the screen, doing his best to ignore Rodriguez.

Rodriguez watched Lucas for about ten minutes, before going to back to his own work. He just found it hard to accept they were relying on a teenager to save their computer network, no matter how highly recommended he came.

 

"It's very dark tonight," Tim read, slowly into his headset. He was still trying to figure out what he was translating. It seemed like a journal for the most part, but it was a strange one. At times it was very personal: at others very cold and calculating. s he read on, Tim made a note to ask Adamsen what exactly he was translating and why they needed it done. Thus far, he had not found anything the might remotely seem of interest to the Outriggers.

"Okay, time to put you guys to bed for the night," Ryan said, opening the booth and causing Tim to jump.

"That time already?"

"Well, it's 2030; it's time to wrap it up. There's always tomorrow."

"Let me save this and I'll be done. What about Lucas?"

"I'll get him and meet you back here."

"Okay."

Ryan stopped to speak with Rodriguez first. "I'm going to take them back to their room. You want to pick them up in the morning?" she asked.

"Sure. Tell them I'll be there at oh-six-thirty for breakfast."

"Will do."

Lucas was staring intently at the screen; he only had three more areas to check on the final file, so he hoped he had almost found the source of the problem, which was a good start. That was why he almost jumped out his chair when Ryan spoke to him. "Time to go to your room."

"Just a second," he muttered, typing in a few commands. "Okay, that leaves me with the last two to check in the morning. What time do we start?"

"Rodriguez will pick you up for breakfast at oh-six-thirty. And I'll warn you, he's not a morning person."

Since Lucas thought that description fit any time of day, he resisted making any comments. He looked forward to being back in the room with just Tim. He had not seen him much during the day and wanted to hear what Tim thought about their current assignment.

"Okay, I'll see you in the morning. As I said, Rodriguez will pick you up for breakfast. Have a good night," Ryan said, upon delivering them to their door. "He's at the end of the hall," she added, pointing in the general direction of the other rooms.

"All right," Tim acknowledged.

"Well, one day down," Lucas said, as they each sat down on a bed.

"Yes, and, hopefully, not too many more to go."

"You really think they'd make us go out with them?"

"Definitely. Something tells me the Outriggers have their rules for a reason and I have no doubt that they adhere to them," Tim commented, opening his bag and starting to pull out the various items he needed to get ready for bed.

"Well, I wouldn't want to see the captain's reaction if it happens."

"No, but we'll probably hear it," Tim told him with a small smile.

"You have to admit it is kind of cool being here; I mean, you hear all the stories about them, but few outside of the group really get to see any of it," Lucas pointed out.

He opened the only other door in the room to reveal a very small bathroom. Since the quarters were rather spartan, he was surprised by its presence. Although further consideration of the matter made him realize that, with the Outriggers insisting on escorting outsiders, private facilities made sense.

"Yes, but I'd like to limit my participation to being strictly an observer."

"I agree. The thought of going any where with Rodriguez scares me and McKinnon is just as bad."

"They certainly have a high degree of professionalism," Tim agreed, stepping into the bathroom, as Lucas turned his attention to unpacking his own bag.

"And the security. I thought Crocker worried about it a lot."

"They do a lot of classified jobs. Plus they're supposed to be unorthodox in their methods. They don't want any secrets leaving the building."

"I'd noticed. No one's every really considered me a big security risk before."

"I know what you mean. I think they consider any outsider a risk though."

"No kidding. At least they think you know what you're doing. Rodriguez doesn't think I'm capable of handling their problems."

"Did he say that?" Tim asked, before taking a swallow of mouthwash. He wasn't sure what he could about it, but he did not like the idea of anyone disparaging Lucas' abilities.

"He didn't have to; he just comes and lurks behind me."

For a moment, all Lucas heard was the sound of Tim gargling. "Lurking isn't illegal, just nerve-wracking."

"Trust me, Tim, I'm used to people doubting me. I mean, I understand that he doesn't know me, but neither one of us would have been recommended if we weren't qualified."

"Give it time."

"I don't plan on being here long enough to give it time," Lucas retorted as Tim reemerged from the other room. Lucas took his place and quickly got into more comfortable clothes for sleeping and brushed his teeth. He rejoined Tim, wearing boxers and a T-shirt.

"Good point. Come on; we'd better get to sleep. I have a feeling Rodriguez will be here right on time," Tim told him, lying down on his bunk. Since Lucas was still standing, he figured he could take care of the light.

"You're probably right," Lucas agreed. He would have liked to talk a little more, but he did not want to keep his friend awake. Instead, once they both had settled on their bunks, he lay awake, staring up at the dark room. His mind reviewed what he had learned on the computer that day.

Tim heard Lucas roll over for the fifth time and realized that the teenager was not sleeping. "Can't sleep?" he asked quietly.

"No. These beds are not designed for comfort," Lucas remarked, adjusting his position yet again.

"I know. I thought I was tired enough to fall asleep; it's been a long day."

"I figure they're designed to make visitors want to leave as quickly as possible," Lucas said with a quick laugh.

"Wonder what the others are doing now," Tim mused, turning to face Lucas's bunk.

"Ben and Miguel are probably out looking for women; Commander Ford will have agreed to stay on duty," Lucas proposed thoughtfully.

"Hitchcock will be overseeing the repairs, even though they're minor and will probably go faster if she would just leave them alone," Tim continued.

"The Captain and Crocker were going to meet up with mutual friend of theirs and I think Dr. Westphalen was going along."

"And here we are, stuck working."

"Guess we're just the lucky ones."

"No offense, I'm not feeling too lucky right now."

"I know what you mean. It's not like I had plans or anything, but I was looking forward to being off the ship," Lucas said with a sigh. "I didn't expect to be working in a place that resembles a high security prison."

"Well, let's hope that the next time someone needs to borrow crew they don't need communications or computer help."

"So, what do you think? How long before Ben gets himself in trouble?"

"He's probably already found it."

"Good point."

"You want to try sleeping again?"

"Yeah, I don't want to fall asleep on the job; that would really impress them." Lucas shifted his position again, hearing Tim do the same. A few minutes later, he heard the lieutenant's measured breathing, indicating that he had fallen asleep. It took Lucas longer to fall asleep; his mind raced, thinking about the computer problems. He had always found it hard to turn his brain off at night, especially when working on a problem. Finally, he fell into a dreamless slumber.

 

The next morning, Rodriguez showed up right on time. He looked like he had not gotten much sleep the night before.

"Ready?" he asked shortly.

"Yes, sir," Tim said, as he and Lucas left their room.

The walk to the mess was silent. Lucas and Tim eyed the food with the same suspicion they had on their previous meals. Both opted for the eggs; at least they thought they were eggs. Sitting down, Lucas tried to swallow his food without really tasting it.

"So, you think you'll get the computers working properly today?" Rodriguez asked, once he had consumed about three cups of coffee in rapid succession.

"I hope so," Lucas replied.

"Good. We need to get the new information into the systems before they call us out again."

"You think that's going to be soon?" Tim inquired, trying not to sound too nervous.

"I certainly hope not," he answered. Lucas and Tim looked at one another, not sure if he meant it as a slight to them or just as a general comment. "But you never know. Sometimes it's slow, other times we barely get time to relax," he continued, not seeing their reaction to his first comment. "You guys ready?"

"Yes." Neither one saw any reason to linger over the meal, especially since Rodriguez was not the most talkative person.

 

Back in the lab, Tim went over to Adamsen before he resumed his translation. He hoped she would answer some questions.

"Good morning," he greeted her.

"Morning," she returned. "Need help getting started?"

"I just had a few questions."

"Okay, I'll answer them if I can."

"This document I'm translating. What is it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, why do you need it translated?"

"We picked it up on our last assignment," Adamsen answered, somewhat evasively. "Anything we don't understand, we have to take a look at."

"But it's like a journal of some type, nothing really that interesting."

"If HQ wants it translated, that's what we do," she told him with a shrug. "Besides, it may be relevant to the mission."

Tim nodded his head, trying to understand, but knowing he was missing something in the conversation.

"Well, thanks," he said, realizing he was not going to get any information from Adamsen. It did not really matter; he could translate it without fully understanding why they needed it. He had just been curious. "Can I work in the same place as yesterday?" "Yes."

 

"Yes!" Lucas said to himself, softly. He had finally located the virus. Now he just had to figure out the precise problem and how to fix it.

"Find anything?" Rodriguez asked, checking with him for about the fourth time in the last hour and a half.

"Yes," Lucas replied, his attention still focused on the computer screen in front of him. Besides, Rodriguez was really starting to annoy him, so he was not anxious to engage in a lot of discussion with the man.

Rodriguez waited for a few minutes, trying to figure out if Lucas planned to answer him, if he was intentionally ignoring him or if he was just involved and not fully paying attention.

"What is it?" he prompted.

"Just a minute," Lucas spoke impatiently. He wanted to finish tracing the source of the problem and trying to talk while he did was not going to work. "Okay, I've located the source," he said, turning to face Rodriguez.

"Which file?"

"The last one, uploaded by Petrie. Looks like it was accidental."

"So what's it doing to our system?"

"I'm not positive," Lucas admitted. "I need to try a few other things, but it looks like your computer thinks it has run out of space."

"What?"

"It thinks there is no room for additional data. That's what I think; as I said I have to do a few things to verify it first."

"Can you fix it?"

"Probably, but I have to test the parameters of the problem first. It could be as easy as reminding the computer that there's still plenty of room available. I'll have more answers once I run some tests," Lucas explained, hoping that Rodriguez had other work to do.

"Are these tests going to shut us down?"

"They shouldn't. But I can't make any promises," Lucas replied truthfully.

"If you take it down, you get to explain it to McKinnon," Rodriguez said, giving a short laugh.

Lucas turned to look at him, trying to figure out if Rodriguez had made a joke or if he was completely serious. However, the other man just stared back at him, his expression impassive.

 

"The days have run together," Tim read into his headset, watching as the words appeared on screen. The translation was going slower than he would have liked, but, given that the document contained numerous languages it was not surprising.

Tim shook his head; none of it made any sense to him. The writing went back and forth. He had yet to figure out if it was a personal diary or someone's mission log. His curiosity was getting the best of him and he wished Adamsen had been willing to tell him more about the document.

 

McKinnon walked through the lab, stopping to talk to people at the other stations. "How is the translation going?" she asked Adamsen.

"All right, last time I checked. He was asking about the document though."

"What did you tell him?"

"The truth: that we picked it up on our last assignment," Adamsen replied. "I think he was just looking for a point of reference to make the translation easier."

"Well, hopefully, when he finishes, it will have something we can use," McKinnon commented. Both women turned as an alarm sounded from the other side of the room, where Lucas was working. "If you'll excuse me." McKinnon was already half way across the room before Adamsen could respond.

"Guess that was the wrong thing to try," Lucas mumbled to himself, ignoring the stares he was receiving, as he worked to shut off the alarm. Experience had taught Lucas how to tune everything out but his work.

"Is there a problem?" McKinnon asked, having reached him and speaking before Rodriquez had a chance, since he had returned at the sound of the alarms.

"We were already awake," Ryan pointed out, as she arrived. As security chief, she checked out any alarm.

"What did you do?" Rodriguez's question was more blunt.

"I was trying to solve your problem," Lucas said, turning, at last, to face his audience. Lucas knew that he was getting a little irritable. The long day yesterday, coupled with a restless night, had left him somewhat cross. He really did not want to deal with Rodriguez's attitude at the moment.

McKinnon gave Rodriguez a stern look, which caused him to refrain from any further comment. "So you have located the problem?"

"Yes, Commander," Lucas answered. "Your computer thinks it has run out of space. I was trying to run diagnostics to remind it there was plenty of space."

"And that's when the alarm sounded?" she guessed.

"Yes. I set the alarm to go off if the diagnostics scan was going to do further damage to your system."

"So that was intentional?" Ryan questioned.

"Yes, ma'am. This virus is an odd one, so I thought it might have a few qualities we had not seen yet. I wanted some kind of warning that would enable me to abort the scan if it was going to harm the system."

"So what happened?" McKinnon asked.

"It was going to corrupt the existing files," Lucas admitted.

"Did you know it would do that?" Rodriguez inquired, with a certain amount of interest.

"As I said, this virus is unusual. I didn't want to have it surprise me, so I put in a safeguard to make sure we did not pass the point of no return."

"Do you still think it was accidental?" McKinnon queried.

"I do. When I looked at the file, it did not seem to be deliberately added to the system, although it could be that it was an intentional virus, but not for your system."

"What do you mean?"

"You got these files from other systems; it could be that they were planted to take out the original locations and you just got it as part of the package."

"They're supposed to scan everything before they retrieve," Ryan told him.

"I've never seen anything like this one; it's hard to scan for something you don't know about," Lucas observed. "In general, I think it just happened. Data files get corrupted in transit. I could trace it back if you want."

"Get the system fixed first. Then, if there's time, I would like to know the origins if possible," McKinnon ordered. "But having our systems operational is our first priority."

"All right," he agreed.

"If you'll excuse me, " Ryan said, realizing that her presence was no longer needed.

"How do you fix it?" Rodriguez asked. "You do know how to do that?"

Lucas mentally counted to ten, reminding himself that patience was a virtue. "There are two solutions," he finally offered, knowing that he should exercise restraint, but unwilling to resist the opportunity.

"What are they?"

"The first would be to wipe your system and reload it from scratch," Lucas proposed, knowing the reaction it would produce.

"We cannot wipe our system and reload it!" Rodriguez shouted, causing a majority of the lab to turn and stare again. "If we had wanted to do that, we would have! You were called in to fix the problem, not tell us what we already knew."

"I have to present all of the options," Lucas said innocently.

"Rodriguez, why don't you go back to work," McKinnon suggested, noticing the glint of mischief in Lucas's eyes. McKinnon had the feeling that Lucas had just reached the end of his patience in dealing with Rodriguez . While she understood his frustration, she decided it was time to remove the problem. "I'll finish discussing the solution to our problem with Wolenczak and let you know what we decide."

"Yes, Commander."

"Now, what did you really have in mind?" she asked him.

"I was just presenting the options," Lucas assured her.

"I'm sure you were. However, you also knew how Rodriguez would react," McKinnon responded with a knowing smile. "He provokes this kind of behavior all the time."

Lucas decided not to comment any further on that particular topic. "With a little bit of time, I think I can write a software solution to your problem," he informed her. "It would make the system think that you had reduced the size of your database, therefore leaving it with enough space. Plus, I'd have it erase the initial virus."

"How long will it take?"

"I can't say. Probably most of today and part of tomorrow. It depends on how the virus reacts."

"Well, do what you need to do."

"And you would be wise to set up a back up system for your files, so that, if this happens again, you could still be fully operational while you fixed it."

"I'll discuss it with our superiors. Now, I think I'll go tell Rodriguez that you won't be pulling us down. Oh, will you need to take us off line to complete this?" she asked, as the thought occurred to her.

"I can do it system by system, on the databases. It will take a little bit of time, but it wouldn't interrupt your work as much."

"Let's do it that way; I don't like the thought of having all of our systems down at once."

"No problem."

"Do you need any help?" she asked.

"Not at this stage. Maybe when it comes time to implement it."

"All right, I'll let you get to work."

 

McKinnon headed over to where Rodriguez was working.

"He's going to write a software program to fix our problem," she said, startling him.

"That's good. Did he really think you were going to let him shut us down?"

"Of course not. He was just pulling your chain."

"Why? What did I ever do to him?" Rodriguez asked.

"I think your disbelief in his abilities was starting to get on his nerves."

"Well, he wasn't progressing very far, very fast."

"Just try to keep your attitude to yourself. If we get deployed, I need to know that there won't be a problem."

"There won't be."

"Good." Although he would never admit it to McKinnon, Rodriguez had to admire Lucas' actions. Rodriguez appreciated anyone who defended himself, even covertly.

 

Adamsen rapped on the door and then opened it, when Tim did not seem to hear her. "Time for lunch."

"Oh, okay. Is Lucas coming with us?"

"Ryan's collecting him now."

 

"It's lunch time," Ryan told Lucas, with growing impatience. She had been trying to get him to leave the computer for several minutes.

"Just a second," Lucas pleaded.

"Your second ended five minutes ago," she informed him. "I'm hungry; Adamsen and O'Neil are waiting."

"Okay, okay," he conceded, turning away from the computer.

"It will be here when you back, I promise."

They walked over to where Tim and Adamsen were waiting. "You guys get lost?" Adamsen asked.

"Cute. No. He wasn't quite ready to go yet," Ryan said with a nod at Lucas.

"Rodriguez coming?"

"Not right now. Orange is having trouble with its shuttles; he got sent over to help them out."

"Let's go then."

 

"So, did you really tell McKinnon that one of the options was to wipe the system and reload?" Ryan asked Lucas, once the quartet had settled at a table with their meals.

"It was a possibility," Lucas said somewhat defensively.

"It's probably a good thing that you had another choice to offer."

"I had to present all the solutions and let her decide."

Tim looked at Lucas, wondering what he was not saying. He recognized the tone of voice, which sa Lucas had been up to something.

"You certainly got Rodriguez going," Ryan observed, looking at him and wondering if that had been his intention. She had not quite figured out either one; on the surface Lucas and Tim acted like most temporary personnel. However, she was starting to suspect there was more to them than what they had seen.

"Well, I haven't seen him that riled in a while," Adamsen said. "Not since Chandler crashed the shuttle."

"True," Ryan agreed. "That's one way to get a reaction: ruin one of his toys."

"So, how'd you guys sleep last night?" Adamsen asked, changing the subject.

"Okay. Your bunks are not real comfortable," Tim replied.

"What can I say? Comfort is rarely a concern in our field."

"Are all the rooms that small or just the guest rooms?" Lucas asked.

"They're all about that small, but we don't share."

"We don't spend a lot of time in them," Ryan added. "Normally, we're not this high up on rotation and, if we haven't had the technical problems, we'd be done with our mission reports and be off base, so to speak. Unfortunately, because we are second on the list, we have to stick around. Plus, McKinnon hasn't signed off yet."

"What do you mean?"

"The commander of each unit has to sign off that the mission is completed. That's when the reports have been filed with Sullivan and the data recorded into our database. Until we're finished, we can't leave."

"What if you get sent out?"

"McKinnon will sign off pending our return. While we're gone, support staff will finish the details and Sullivan will determine if it's sufficient for him. Then, when we get back, McKinnon will have to conduct a final review of the process and take care of the official details. Usually we're cleared before we leave on the next assignment."

"Sounds very complicated," Tim told her.

"It's all part of being an Outrigger," Adamsen told him. "We have rules for everything. And McKinnon has made us learn them all."

"All of them?" Tim repeated.

"Yes. The first two weeks you spend memorizing the Outrigger Code of Conduct," Ryan verified. "And she gives you an oral test on it."

"Why?" Lucas queried.

"The rules come in handy," Adamsen answered. "McKinnon just spits them out automatically, right down to the last word. Most of us just recall the general idea, except for the big ones."

"You all ready to go?" Ryan asked, deciding it was time to end this particular conversation. She had a feeling McKinnon would not want them telling Lucas and Tim the major rules at this point in their assignment, if ever.

 

They left the dining area and got into the elevator.

"So what do you think of us so far?" Adamsen inquired.

"It's different," Lucas commented.

"We're not used to the high security," Tim explained. "On seaQuest there's restricted access sometimes, but never quite like this."

"You get used to it."

"I don't think I'd want to," Lucas stated. "Besides, I don't think I'd meet the height requirement."

"What do you mean?" Ryan asked. "There's no height requirement."

"Have you looked at yourselves? You all are about the same height with maybe an inch difference."

"He's right," Tim agreed. "It's kind of disconcerting."

"Just worked out that way, I assure you," Adamsen said.

 

"Well, here we are, back to work. We'll get you for dinner," Ryan told them.

Before anyone could comment, the announcement filled the room. "Outrigger Green, please report to your briefing room. Outrigger Green to briefing."

Lucas and Tim looked at each other, while both Ryan and Adamsen masked their expressions.

"This is not good, is it?" Lucas finally asked.

"Ryan, I need to see you and Rodriguez," McKinnon ordered as she walked by the small group.

"We'll get you for dinner at seventeen hundred," Adamsen told Lucas and Tim. "Make sure that, when you stop for dinner, you are completely shut down by then," she instructed.

"Why?" Tim questioned, puzzled.

"Regulations. We're on call. We're not allowed to work more than eight hours at a stretch until we go out. It's to insure we get plenty of rest."

"I really don't like the sound of this," Lucas commented.

"Well, think positive; maybe you'll get out of here before we get our summons."

"I think I'll start working now," Tim said, heading for his booth.

"Me, too."

 

McKinnon, Rodriquez and Ryan sat in a small conference room.

"What are our chances of being called out?" Rodriguez asked.

"Same as always."

"What do we do about O'Neil and Wolenczak?"

"Hope they complete their job before we called," Ryan said.

"We can't count on that," McKinnon stated. "After dinner, Rodriguez, get them into Karneering. Their files are clean, but we need to verify they're medically deployable."

"Okay."

"And Ryan, you better work on getting them some clearances. We get assigned, it's not really going to do to be escorting them all over the place."

"Of course," Ryan agreed.

"Work stops at seventeen hundred today, except for Karneering; he's going to have to do the medical checks. But it shouldn't take him too long, since we have just returned. No one's had any time to hurt themselves."

"Do you want me to get gear ready for them, just in case?" Ryan inquired.

Rodriguez looked at her. "We don't want to get ahead of ourselves."

"Yes," McKinnon assented. "If we get deployed, we're going to have to move."

"Can't Sullivan move us down on the list?" Rodriguez asked.

"What justification?" she asked.

"The fact that we have civilians on the team should be enough."

"Rodriguez, Yellow and Brown are both off the list right now. They had too many injuries on their last assignments. Red and Green just went out; Black and Purple have not yet returned. The three units behind us are in from the field more recently than we are. And they aren't civilians; they are Navy."

"Well, O'Neil is Navy," Ryan corrected. "Wolenczak isn't."

"Sullivan doesn't care, neither does the Admiral. He's lives on a UEO vessel; that makes him fair game."

"What are you saying?"

"They both told me that, if we go out, we are to follow regulations."

"Too bad no one thought to tell them before they agreed to come," Ryan observed.

"We can't change the facts now. We just have to make the best of them." Ryan nodded her head, understanding that McKinnon was being pragmatic about the situation.

"Let's just hope none of this becomes necessary," Rodriguez remarked.

"Let's see if we can get the rest of our last mission filed by tomorrow, at least what we can get finished with the computers not functioning. I'll check with Wolenczak and see if there's a way to speed the process up."

"I'll talk to Karneering about the physicals," Rodriguez assured her.

"I'll need to borrow both O'Neil and Wolenczak for measurements, to make sure we have their size," Ryan added.

"Let me talk to the two of them first. I need to let them know what's going to happen if we get deployed."

 

Lucas idly chewed on a pencil, while he worked on the software program. Thus far, his first attempt had been unsuccessful. Fortunately, he had caught the problem before he tripped any alarms. Under different circumstances, he would have liked to spend more time studying the virus itself; however, his main concern was to get the problem fixed. He concentrated on the screen, typing quickly, his mind about three steps ahead of his fingers as he worked on the solution.

McKinnon walked up behind him silently and cleared her throat. "Sorry," she apologized, when he jumped.

"What can I do for you?"

"I need to talk to you and O'Neil."

"All right, let me save this."

 

"Well, three nights down, five more to go. Why did I ever think this was a good idea?" Tim read to himself. From what he read, Tim realized that the writer of the document had to be an Outrigger. He was still trying to figure out what was so important about the work record. Unfortunately, he had not had any time to ask McKinnon and he suspected she would not answer him if he did.

"We need to talk," McKinnon told him. Like Lucas, she had startled him and he jumped.

Tim set the headset down and then saved his work. "What about?" he asked, although he had a feeling about the topic.

"Let's go to the conference room," she said. She led them to the room she had recently occupied with Rodriguez and Ryan. "I just need to review some details with you, since we are now next on the list for assignment."

"Do you think you'll get a mission before we finish up here?" Tim asked, sitting down at the table. Even if it had just been him in the situation, he would not have liked the idea. Having Lucas along made him particularly nervous. Tim did not doubt the teenager's abilities; he had seen Lucas handle pressure on the seaQuest plenty of times. However, that was different; the crew on seaQuest knew Lucas. The Outriggers were complete strangers. Tim was not sure he wanted to rely on them for their safety.

"I don't know. Under normal circumstances, I'd say not likely. But the last few months have been far from normal, so we have to proceed with the idea that you might get deployed with us."

"What does that mean for us?" Lucas inquired.

"It means that we have to proceed on the idea that you will go into the field as part of the team. First, since you are escorted every where, getting to briefing won't be a problem for you. You'll just go with them. If you're in the lab, find Rodriguez, Ryan, Adamsen or myself. If we're called at night, wait for Rodriguez; he'll pick you up in your quarters," McKinnon instructed. "Second, Ryan's going to work on getting clearances for you. If we get assigned out, we can't be escorting you. Also, she's going to get your measurements, since you'll need to wear our uniform on deployment." Both nodded their heads, indicating that they followed what she had to say so far. "After dinner, Rodriguez is going to take you to Dr. Karneering, our unit physician. He needs to make sure you're medically cleared for deployment."

"When is Captain Bridger going to be informed of this?" Tim asked.

"Captain Sullivan and Admiral Ramsey are in charge of notifying him of the details," McKinnon replied evasively. She knew both her superiors well enough to realize that the unit would be en route to their destination before they informed Captain Bridger. She did not approve of such tactics and hoped that neither Tim nor Lucas pressed the issue. McKinnon knew that Sullivan and Ramsey would not appreciate her sharing her thoughts on the matter with the two borrowed members of the seaQuest crew. "If you have any other questions, let me know."

"Not right now," Tim answered, speaking for both.

"I'll let you get back to work."

 

"I really hope we get out of here before they get deployed," Lucas remarked to Tim, as they returned to the main room.

"I'm with you on that one," Tim agreed. "All we can do is hope for the best."

 

By the time they had to stop for the day, Lucas figured he had about half of the program written. He hoped Tim was close to finishing the translation.

"Rodriguez is meeting us in the dining room," Ryan told him, walking up to where he worked. "After you get your physicals, I need to take measurements and pictures."

"Great," Lucas mumbled.

"Well, camp is never fun."

"Excuse me?" Lucas questioned, giving her a funny look.

"Sorry, that's just what we call it some times, when we're going in the field," she clarified. "We call deployment 'camp', it's kind of a bad joke," Ryan continued, deciding that it might have been wise not to say anything at all.

Lucas shook his head. "And you wonder why you have a reputation for being mentally unbalanced?"

"I don't wonder about it at all."

"Most people would not think going out on some classified mission as camp."

"True, but that's why we do it. Keeps things in perspective."

"Let's go get Tim," Lucas said, wondering if he would ever fully understand any of the Outriggers.

"Dinner time already?" Tim asked.

"Yep. Don't forget to log out and all that. We're done for the day," Ryan reminded him.

"I'm almost finished," Tim remarked.

"In a hurry to leave us?"

"It's nothing personal."

"That's what they all say."

 

"Don't take the stew." Rodriguez spoke into Lucas's ear, almost causing the teenager to drop his tray. "Sorry," he apologized, although Lucas got the impression he was not sorry at all.

"What's wrong with the stew?"

"Last time they served it, half the unit came down with food poisoning."

On that note, Lucas opted for the chicken casserole, although it did not look much better. "Thanks for the advice."

"Any time."

"Does the rest of your unit eat or is it just our presence?" Tim asked, having noticed that they rarely saw the other members of Outrigger Blue during meals.

"Yes," Rodriguez answered.

"That certainly makes things clear," Lucas mumbled under his breath.

Ryan stifled a snicker, since she was the only one who had heard the comment. "During working hours, we don't like to have everyone out of the lab at once, in case someone needs information or in case of a security breach," she explained. "Plus, you're outsiders; it means they'd have to be on good behavior."

"I understand, I think."

"We're kind of like family, so we act naturally around one another. When someone new comes along, you feel obligated to make the right impression. Most of them would rather act naturally."

"Kind of like when we have to wear our dress uniforms and act properly when we get important visitors on seaQuest," Tim remarked.

"No offense, but what do they do with you?" Ryan asked Lucas.

"Put me on display," Lucas said with more than a trace of sarcasm. "Everyone that comes on board wants to see the genius. Fortunately, Bridger lets me hide in my quarters."

"He's afraid to take them there," Tim said smiling. "They might never find their way out."

"Messy are you?"

"He has a lot of equipment in it."

"How long are the physicals supposed to take?" Ryan asked Rodriguez.

"Karneering said as long as he needed."

"So any where from five minutes to six hours?"

"Something like that. You know, he hates it when you try to pin him down."

"No kidding," she agreed. "He's been known to order extra tests, if he thinks you're trying to rush him."

"We'll keep that in mind," Tim commented.

"You want me to bring them to supply or the briefing room?" Rodriguez asked, checking the time.

"Briefing. I need their pictures. We can do their measurements."

"We?"

"It'll go faster."

"Why do I always get roped into helping with your tasks?"

"Because you're a sweetheart," she said with a grin.

"Just don't let anyone else know."

"I wouldn't worry about anyone discovering your secret," Lucas muttered.

This time Ryan couldn't restrain herself and laughed. "Sorry, private joke," she said, covering her mouth. "You better get them up to Karneering; he hates waiting."

"She's right." Rodriguez glanced at the time again. "If we're late, he'll take my blood just for fun."

"See you later."

 

"We have to go up to the medical department; it's one floor above ours," Rodriguez explained. The elevator stopped and they followed him down a long hallway, past several doors, until they reached one with a blue triangle that read Dr. Joshua Karneering. "Hey, Sophie," he greeted the woman at the desk. "O'Neil and Wolenczak to see the doctor."

"I'll let him know you're here," she said. "Have a seat." She opened the door behind her, presumably to get the doctor.

Since there were only three chairs in the waiting area, they had little choice. Rodriguez sat between Lucas and Tim.

"Who's first?" Sophie asked from the door.

When neither spoke, Rodriguez made the decision for them. "Wolenczak."

Lucas usually avoided going to see the doctor under normal circumstances, so having to see one now did not make him happy. However, he had little choice, so he followed Sophie.

"Dr. Joshua Karneering," the doctor said, shaking his hand. "You are?"

"Lucas Wolenczak."

"This is a pretty straightforward exam. It's just to make sure you are as healthy as your records say. I've found that someone people are not always entirely honest when it comes to medical health, so I like to verify them for myself."

Since Lucas had been guilty of evading the truth when discussing his own health, he did not offer any comment.

"What do you need?"

"Your outer clothes off and this on," Karneering said, handing him a gown. "Then we'll do height, weight, check your eyes, ears, lungs. Nothing major."

 

"You think you'll get called out before we leave?" Tim asked Rodriguez, mainly to pass the time.

"I don't know. You never can predict what's going to happen. The world is a crazy place. I'd like more time before going back to camp, but we don't get to make those choices."

Tim stared at him for a few minutes, before understanding what he meant. "Do you all call it camp or is that just something you like to call it?"

"It's an inside term. We use it as a term within the group, although we don't use it as often as we used to."

"Okay." Tim thought about asking the origins of the name, but decided he probably did not want to know.

"Don't worry, if we get deployed, McKinnon will make sure you two are safe."

"I know she'll do her best."

"That's all any of us can do," Rodriguez observed. "McKinnon takes her job seriously. She places a high priority on the safety of the unit."

"I really don't want to find out," Tim informed him dryly.

"Well, hopefully, you won't have to, but sometimes you don't have a choice."

 

"Let me take some blood and you'll be finished," Karneering told Lucas. "See, it wasn't so bad after all."

"I'll reserve judgment until after you take the blood," Lucas remarked, averting his eyes as the doctor completed his task.

"Okay, you can get dressed."

"Thanks, Doctor." Lucas stepped behind the curtain again, quickly getting back into his own clothes.

"Red or green?" Karneering asked, when he re-emerged.

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry, I forgot you're new." Karneering held up two lollipops. "Red or green?"

"Green," Lucas replied, finding the whole thing kind of amusing. He could not remember the last time a doctor had offered him candy after an examination.

"Excellent choice," the doctor assented. "You can send in the other one."

"Your turn," Lucas told Tim, returning to the waiting area.

"You must have done well; he only gives green to the patients he likes," Rodriguez remarked, noticing the candy in Lucas's hand. "He always offers me orange."

"Is that bad?"

"It's not good."

 

"Okay, let me check your eyes," Karneering told Tim. "So how do you like it with us so far?"

"It's different. I don't think I'd want to be assigned here permanently. But it is something few others get to try."

"Very true. And, despite the impression they may given you, everyone knows that the two of you would not have been sent here if they thought you were not up to the task."

"I think everyone would also like to avoid testing that theory, Doctor. Myself included."

"True."

 

"He says he'll see you next," Tim informed Rodriguez, as he emerged from his physical.

"What? I'm not scheduled to see him," Rodriguez protested.

"He said it would save him time if you would do your recheck now," Sophie interjected.

"Great," he said. "I'll be back."

"He give you one too?" Tim asked, holding up his sucker as he sat down.

"Yeah." The duo sat in silence for a few minutes. "I have this bad feeling that somehow we're going to end up being deployed with them."

Tim looked at him. "We're going to be out of here tomorrow," he stated, with greater conviction than he felt. "You'll finish up with the computers; I'm almost done with the translation. Then we'll be back on seaQuest and ready to enjoy some leave."

"I hope so."

"It's going to work out."

"Let's go," Rodriguez said as he exited the doctor's office. "Man's a sadist," he mumbled.

 

They rode the elevator up two more floors. "This is the top; all the briefing rooms are here," Rodriguez informed them.

"Why?" Lucas asked.

"We usually deploy via the air. So, if it's a rush job, we're closer to the landing pad."

"Oh."

 

Ryan was inside waiting for them. "Karneering grab you?" The briefing room consisted of a large table, with outlets for computers to hook up into. There was a large vid-screen at the back of the room, as well as a podium with a microphone.

"Yes," Rodriguez grumbled.

"Let's do the measurements first. You do Wolenczak; I'll take O'Neil."

"Let's get this over with. Stand on the chair," Rodriguez directed Lucas.

The measurements took a little bit of time, particularly since Ryan did not fully trust Rodriguez and insisted on double checking some of his notations.

"Just checking; we want the outfit to fit."

"Why ask me to help in the first place if you're going to do them all over again?"

"Don't whine."

"I don't whine."

 

"Stand in front the blue back drop there," Ryan instructed Tim, pointing to the blue cloth hanging on the back wall. "Smile. We don't want this to resemble a prison shot."

"Sorry," Tim said, feeling nervous. For some reason, getting the pictures taken made the whole thing seem real.

"No problem. Okay your turn," she advised Lucas.

"You're worse than he is."

"I don't like having my picture taken."

"Just relax. It'll be over soon."

"We done here?" Rodriguez asked Ryan a few minutes later. "I'll take them back to their room."

"Okay, I have turn these in to supply," she said, indicating their measurements. "I'll see you guys in the morning. You getting them for breakfast again?"

"Sure."

"Good night."

 

"I'll see you tomorrow morning at the same time," Rodriguez informed them, upon arriving at their room.

"Okay," Lucas acknowledged. "I feel like I'm about ten and being put to bed at seven," he commented to Tim, as they each settled on their bunks.

"I know what you mean. I didn't exactly come equipped for free time. But I guess I also expected more interaction."

"It could be worse; they could lock us in every night."

"Probably haven't thought of it, yet," Tim remarked, opening his bag. "I'm not ready to go to sleep, but I do want to get out of uniform."

"I'll change after you."

"I think next time we get an offer for something like this, I'm going to decline."

"I'm not sure we had much choice. Sounded like the admiral told Bridger they would be using us."

"You have a point," Tim called. "It's one of the problems with being in the military."

"I'm not in the military."

"You're close enough," Tim pointed out, returning to his bunk.

 

"While we could live without finishing the document translation, we can't afford to leave our computers in this state. Plus, if you want the truth, Sullivan wants to hold them until they make a decision on Petrie and Zimmer," McKinnon informed him.

"What?"

"We don't have anyone with Petrie's computer abilities and Adamsen doesn't have the languages that Zimmer does. With the other units also hurting in those sections, we need them."

"That's why he won't pull us off the line up," Rodriguez stated. "He figures, if we go out with them, by the time we come up again they'll have sorted out Petrie and Zimmer."

"I believe those are his thoughts on the matter. Best case scenario is that we won't be needed right away."

"If they finish tomorrow, how is he going to hold them?"

"I don't know," she admitted.

"But he'll probably think of something," Rodriguez said quietly.

"Possibly," she agreed, not meeting his gaze.

"If they finish, you're going to release them without debriefing, aren't you?"

"We've done debriefing from afar before," McKinnon hedged; directly confirming his statement could only get her in trouble later.

"Sullivan will have a fit."

"I can handle Sullivan."

Rodriguez nodded his head. "I know you can."

"I'd release them sooner if I could, but we need the computers operational and Wolenczak's the only one to have come up with a viable solution."

 

"I was fine until the physical," Lucas commented. "When they wanted to make sure we were medically capable of being in the field with them, I realized that they were serious." The duo had lain down on their bunks. The lights were off, but they were still talking.

"The security clearance pictures are what did it for me," Tim confessed. "That's when I realized that, if they went on assignment, we're going with them. Until that point, I figured it was some kind of joke they played on outsiders."

"Even if we don't go, Bridger would hit the roof if he realized how close we came," Lucas remarked, rolling onto his side.

"That's probably why they told us we aren't supposed to talk about our assignment with anyone once we leave," Tim said, recalling the first time they had met McKinnon.

"You're probably right. That's probably going to be the worst thing about all of this: going back on seaQuest and not being able to tell them much."

"And you know they're going to bug us for details." Tim shifted around on his bunk; he still wasn't used to it, so he found it difficult to get comfortable. "Especially Ben."

"Any time he thinks someone's keeping something from him, he just has to know what it is," Lucas agreed. "Maybe something exciting will have happened before we get back that will keep his attention off us."

"Unfortunately, if anything like that happens, Ben will be in the thick of it and looking for any excuse to deflect attention from himself," Tim pointed out.

"You're right. So, basically, we have a choice of being here for our leave and risking going out with these guys, or finishing up and going back to seaQuest, where we will be tormented by endless questions until something of greater interest comes along," Lucas summed up.

"Pretty much."

"How did we get so lucky?"

"I think I'd rather face the questions; we can always lock ourselves in our quarters."

"I think I'd have to agree with you on that one," Lucas concluded, flipping over on to his back. "I miss my own bunk, among other things."

"Oh, what were you up to when you suggested they shut down their computers?" he asked, suddenly remembering the earlier conversation at lunch and just now getting a chance to ask.

"What do you mean by that?" Lucas asked, trying to sound innocent and failing.

"Lucas." Tim recognized when Lucas was being evasive and it only made him more interested in getting an answer.

"Rodriguez was getting on my nerves. I knew he'd get annoyed if I suggested it," Lucas admitted.

"I assume that it did."

"Of course. I already had another solution to offer, but I couldn't resist."

Tim gave a small laugh. "What did McKinnon say?"

"She knew why I said it. It didn't seem to bother her very much, although she did suggest he go some where else while she and I discussed options."

"You want me to repeat the part of the lecture where we're supposed to representatives of the seaQuest and set a good example?" Tim asked, referring to the talk the captain had with them before their departure.

"No, not really. I have it memorized," Lucas replied, with a small sigh. "After he gave it to us, Westphalen reiterated it and Hitchcock added her two cents right before we left."

"It wasn't just you; the Commander and Crocker both nailed me," Tim assured him.

"Why you? You never get into trouble."

"The Outriggers are such an unknown group. Yet they have an incredible reputation. I mean, for all the other rumors about them being somewhat crazy and reckless, they are known for getting the job done. They are the ones that get called in to handle the dangerous situations. We came off the flagship of the UEO, they wanted us to make a good impression."

"So that, when we leave, no one here is talking about the idiots that work on seaQuest."

"Yes. It's up to us to make an impression."

"And I thought it was just a basic task to give the Outriggers some help."

"For the most part that's true, but there's always another part to any assignment. Particularly when you go to another organization."

"Even though we're all part of the UEO?"

"That makes it even worse," Tim told him, as he rolled over on his side and almost off the edge of the bunk.

"Be careful, I don't want you hurting yourself," Lucas said, having caught the movement, even in the dark.

"I don't want to do anything that will keep me here, either."

"That wasn't exactly what I was thinking," Lucas confessed.

"What were you thinking?"

"If you hurt yourself, you'll be medically unfit. If anything happens and they get deployed, I don't want to go alone."

"Trust me, if they call out Outrigger Blue and we're still here; we're both going. I do not want to be the one left behind trying to explain to everyone on seaQuest that you're out with the Outriggers," Tim assured him.

"It wouldn't be your fault."

"Would you want to explain it the captain?" Tim asked him. Tim knew how Bridger would react if both were deployed with the Outriggers. He could only imagine how the captain would react if Lucas ended up alone in the field with the Outriggers. He shook his head at the thought. He certainly did not want to be on the receiving end of that discussion. No one said much about it, but the entire crew knew that Bridger took a paternal interest in Lucas. "And, when he was done, I'd still have face Ben, Miguel, Ford, Westphalen, Hitchcock and Crocker," he continued, ticking the names off. "I'd have to seek asylum here until you returned. Even then, I'm not sure I'd be safe." The seaQuest crew thought of Lucas as their younger brother and all took an interest in his well being. Tim knew that, for all his grumbling to the contrary, Lucas appreciated the fact that they all kept an eye on him and made sure he never got into serious trouble.

"I see your point," Lucas conceded. "I have to say, I don't want to be explaining it either."

"Well, if we end up out in the field, it's safe to say that the rule about not discussing it with anyone outside of the Outriggers will go out the window, at least where the captain's concerned," Tim remarked.

"He's going to want details."

"I'd have to agree with you."

"Hopefully, tomorrow will go smoothly and according to plan."

"Whose plan, Tim? Ours or someone else's?"

"Don't be a pessimist; we need to think positively."

"Sorry."

They lay in silence for a few minutes. "It's going to work out, Lucas," Tim said, softly. He listened for a moment and then smiled as he heard the teenager's regular breathing and realized Lucas had fallen asleep. Rolling over to face the wall, Tim decided to do the same.

 

"Sorry I dropped out on you last night," Lucas apologized the next morning, as they got ready for breakfast.

"No problem. We needed to stop talking any way," Tim assured him. "That must be Rodriguez," he added, as there was a knock on the door.

"Ready?" Rodriguez asked, peering inside the room.

"Just a second," Lucas replied, shoving his bag under the bunk.

 

They met up with McKinnon and Ryan at breakfast.

"Bet you won't miss this when you leave us," Ryan stated, pointing to the food.

"It beats field rations," Rodriguez reminded her.

"Go get some more coffee and don't talk until you have something pleasant to say."

Rodriguez glared at her.

"Do I need to separate you two?" McKinnon asked mildly. She was used to their friendly bickering. It was one of the ways the two helped alleviate stress, among themselves and the rest of the unit. As they remained next on call, she knew she would hear a lot more of it.

"I'll be back," Rodriguez said, standing up, heading to get more coffee. He stopped along the way to talk to someone from another unit.

"You take all the fun out of it, McKinnon," Ryan protested.

"That's my job, Ryan. That's why I'm in charge." Both Lucas and Tim caught the glint of amusement in McKinnon's eye. They sensed that they were starting to see a new side of the Outriggers. Rodriguez returned with his coffee and sat down.

"Lafferty rolled another shuttle," he said with a sigh. "Orange wants to borrow me again."

"And what did you tell him?" McKinnon asked.

"His commander will have to talk to my commander."

"Do you want to do it?"

"Not really. I need to make sure our equipment is up to speed."

"Okay. They know the rules anyway."

"Why do they let him continue to pilot?" Ryan inquired. "He has more problems than anyone in the organization."

"Because they haven't replaced Norman yet. I think Smith hopes that if he causes enough damage through Lafferty, they'll get a replacement for Norman," Rodriguez told her.

"Isn't there something wrong with that logic?" Tim questioned.

"Probably, but Smith is a little different."

Lucas found the comment interesting, since he had yet to see anything in the Outriggers that was not different, but he refrained from making any remarks.

"Well, I'm done," McKinnon said, pushing her tray away. "You two want to come up with me? Rodriguez needs at least one more cup of coffee and Ryan has to go to supply before she comes up."

Lucas and Tim both nodded; the sooner they got to work, the more likely they were to finish that day. Both really wanted to finish.

 

In the lab, both immediately headed to what had become their stations: Lucas to the computers in the back, Tim to the booth.

"Well, we're into the homestretch now," Tim read into the headset, making sure to speak clearly. A couple of times he had mumbled the words and the transcription had turned out a little strange.

 

Lucas checked his program again, not wanting to start loading it until he was sure it was going to work. He wanted no setbacks once they reached the implementation stage.

"You need any help?" Rodriguez asked, making him jump.

"You might try making some noise when you sneak up behind someone," Lucas complained.

"Then I wouldn't be sneaking," he pointed out. Lucas looked at him, trying to figure out if he was making a joke. Unfortunately, Rodriguez managed to maintain a good poker face.

"Not right now," he replied, deciding not to continue the train of conversation. "I think I've got the program written. I'm going to try it on this station first. Then I'll have to do the databases."

"Okay," Rodriguez said, heading off to check in with McKinnon.

 

Lucas groaned as the alarm sounded for the fourth time since he had tried to load his program. By now, the lab had grown used to it; no one even turned. McKinnon, Rodriguez and Ryan all gave him inquiring looks, not bothering to come over, to which he gave a slight wave and resisted the urge to pound his head on the console. He sincerely hoped this was the last problem to correct.

 

"It looks like there's been a change in plans," Tim read. "I know I can pull it off. I just have to stay calm and keep focused," Tim finished reading the last line. He was no closer to understanding any of it than when he had started. There was nothing in the journal, for he had decided it was a journal that seemed of any importance. It was obviously someone's mission log, but Tim saw no reason for the writer to have encoded it so well. Shaking his head, he gave up trying to sort it out and told himself to be glad he was done. Saving the document, he opened the door and went in search of Adamsen to let her know he had finished.

"Great, that will make McKinnon happy. Now if Wolenczak can the computers fixed." Adamsen said, looking up from her station. "It's been quiet for the last twenty minutes; maybe he figured it out."

"Quiet?" Tim questioned, puzzled.

"You were in the booth; he's been setting off the alarms."

"Glad I was in the booth," Tim remarked, "although I hadn't realized they were sound proof."

"Well, it helps from time to time." Adamsen caught McKinnon's attention and waved her over.

"Yes, Adamsen?"

"O'Neil's finished the translation."

"Good."

"Is there anything else I can do?" Tim asked. "I'd rather work than sit in the room," he explained.

"I have something you can do, once Wolenczak gets his program running," McKinnon told him. "It will be few more minutes before he gets to the database you'll need."

"That's fine. I'm not going anywhere," Tim pointed out dryly.

"You've obviously been around us far too long," Adamsen commented, with a quick smile.

 

"Okay, you can try it now," Lucas instructed Rodriguez, who had rejoined him about twenty minutes ago. Since he had shown no indication of leaving, Lucas had told him to find some files they could try to load once he had the program fixed.

"It's working."

"Don't sound so surprised," Lucas mumbled under his breath.

"Did you say something?" Rodriguez asked, hearing his voice, but not making out the words. From the expression on the teenager's face, he had a feeling the comment was not intended to be heard. "Good, I'm glad. Now we can fix your other systems."

"I'll get McKinnon and let her know."

"Sounds good," Lucas agreed. He waited for them to return before proceeding. "It works. Is there any particular order you want me to go in?" he asked.

"Nice work," she told him. "Not really, with one exception. I'd like you get to the mission log database working first. That way Adamsen can get those loaded for us; I'd like to sign off on our last mission today, if possible, and that's what we're waiting on."

"Okay, I'll do it first and progress from there."

"Can I help?" Rodriguez asked.

"If you want to run the test data after I load the program, that would help."

"I can do that."

"Good. I'm going to have O'Neil run the comparison," McKinnon told Rodriguez.

Rodriguez gave her a strange look, but didn't say anything about it. "We'll let you know when it's ready."

"I hope this works," Lucas mumbled, starting the program.

"I thought you said it would work," Rodriguez remarked.

"There's always the possibility that it won't."

"You always this upbeat about things or do I just bring out the best in you?" Rodriguez inquired, giving him a brief smile.

"It's not just you," Lucas assured him.

"And I thought I was special."

"I'm sure you are."

"It's taking the data," Rodriguez told him, having tried to enter one of the logs.

"Great. Tell McKinnon it's okay to use."

 

"So you just want me to load the translation file, with these three and run this program?" Tim repeated to McKinnon.

"Yes," she answered, still not explaining why she had him doing this task. "The program does the rest."

"I think I can handle it."

Ryan joined them at the terminal. "You want to send out for lunch?" she asked McKinnon. "Wolenczak and Rodriguez want to keep going on the computer fix and get it finished. Adamsen's going to doing the tapes. And everyone else is anxious to get to the databases now that we can add material to them again."

"Yes. We can't have anyone skipping meals at this stage."

"What do you want?"

"I'm not picky."

"You have to pick," Ryan told her. "If you don't, we'll never get anyone to agree. If I go and tell everyone that McKinnon said we're getting Indian, then no one argues."

"Get sandwiches then. That still gives them a choice."

"What do you want?"

"Turkey."

"O'Neil?"

"Turkey sounds good."

"May everyone else be as simple," Ryan commented, walking over to talk to some of the others.

 

"He doesn't even hear you," Rodriguez told Ryan, who stood in front of the computer trying to get Lucas's attention. "He's very good at tuning people out."

"Working with you would do that to a person," she agreed. "Wolenczak!" she yelled. "Thank you," she said, when he looked up at her. "We're getting sandwiches for lunch. What do you want?"

"Roast beef, I guess," he responded with little enthusiasm. Ryan had the impression he would have been just as happy to let her choose than have her interrupt his work.

"They'll be here in about half an hour." Ryan shook her head, realizing that she had lost his attention as well as Rodriguez's.

 

Tim wandered over to where Lucas worked, slowly eating his sandwich. He knew his friend well enough to know Lucas would let his own food sit there untouched. "You better eat that," he told him, pointing to the sandwich.

"In a minute: we only have three stations left."

"A few more minutes won't make a difference."

"I said, just a minute."

"And I know how your sense of timing works."

Lucas picked up the sandwich, sensing that Tim was going to bug him until he ate it. "So far it's working."

"Good. I'm doing some extra stuff for McKinnon. I didn't want to sit in the room," Tim explained.

"Understandable."

"We might just get this done and get you guys on your way," Ryan remarked, having joined them. "Even Rodriguez thinks that it looks like it's possible."

"I hope so."

"You may have spoken too soon," Rodriguez said, coming up behind Lucas and making him jump again. He stifled his smile, when Lucas turned and glared at him.

"Why do you say that?" Tim asked nervously.

"McKinnon just got some kind of call; she's taking it in the conference room."

"That's not good, is it?" Lucas inquired, looking at their faces.

"They always notify the unit commander before they make a briefing call," Ryan clarified.

"Team leaders get testy if they aren't given at least some kind of warning."

"This is not what we want to hear," Tim informed them.

"Well, we'll know pretty soon, one way or the other."

 

McKinnon stood in the small conference room, mentally cursing her luck, portraying an outwardly calm face to Captain Peter Sullivan. "What about O'Neil and Wolenczak?" she asked, although she expected the answer.

"They're still TDY with you; they go," he replied. "Get your team assembled," he ordered.

McKinnon stood for a moment, then typed the message into the wall unit. A moment later, she heard the announcement.

"Outrigger Blue report to your briefing room. Outrigger Blue to briefing."

 

"Looks like we're going back to camp," Rodriguez said, grabbing Lucas's arm. "Come on!" he called, while Ryan took Tim's arm. "Stairs?" he called back to Ryan.

"Yes! Elevators will be busy," she agreed. They ran to the end of the hall, where Rodriguez punched in a security code and led them up the stairs.

"Just follow the leader," Rodriguez ordered, once they were in the briefing room. He pointed to two chairs at the end of the table, where they sat and then moved up to the front of the room. The rest of the team quickly filed in, taking their places.

Ryan raised the blue back drop to reveal a door, which she opened.

"Rodriguez!" she yelled. "Adamsen!" Lucas and Tim watched as both members accepted small computers from her. "Chandler! Dawson! Hallowell! Karneering! O'Neil! Wolenczak!"

She set one computer at the head of the table and then took her own to sit across from Rodriguez.

"Phil Hallowell, just plug in and wait," the man next to Lucas instructed.

"Thanks. Lucas Wolenczak."

"Okay, you're set," Dr. Karneering told Tim, checking to make sure he was properly connected.

McKinnon entered the briefing room, proceeding directly to the front of the room.

She typed in a few commands and a man appeared on the vid-screen. "Identify!" he barked, not bothering with any pleasantries.

"McKinnon, Hunter, Commander."

"Rodriguez, EJ, Lieutenant Commander," Rodriguez said, standing up.

"Ryan, Jenna, Lieutenant Commander."

"Adamsen, Sara, Lieutenant."

"Dawson, Maxwell, Lieutenant."

"Chandler, Nicholas, Lieutenant, j.g."

"Hallowell, Philip, Lieutenant, j.g."

"Karneering, Joshua, Doctor." The man on the screen gave him a dark look. "Lieutenant Commander," Karneering tacked on, nudging Tim.

"O'Neil, Timothy, Lieutenant, j.g." Tim made a strong effort to keep his voice steady.

"Wolenczak, Lucas."

"Very good, Commander: your crew made record time," Sullivan complimented, as the unit saluted the screen in unison, except for Lucas and Tim, who were caught off guard by the gesture.

"Thank you, Captain Sullivan," McKinnon said, politely.

"Please be seated," he instructed.

Lucas sat down, slightly dazed by the whole process. He could tell from his friend's expression that Tim was just as confused.

"I will give you a brief overview of your assignment, then I will leave you to discuss particulars," Sullivan told them. "Tarsinia is the word of the day."

"Just sign your name in and enter Tarsinia as the password," Hallowell whispered to Lucas. "Then you just follow along as he talks."

"As you know, the island of Tarsinia has remained isolated from any outside involvement with the world for the past seventy-five years, due to an unfortunate incident with a Philippines peace delegation," Sullivan started. "Two months ago, they requested UEO scientific and medical help with a disease that had started killing their population. Their own doctors could not find a cause or a cure."

Lucas watched as a map appeared on the computer screen, with words to the right that echoed much of what Sullivan was saying. He noticed the others staring intensely at their computers as well.

"We granted their request, hoping this might be a way to open the door to a relationship with the Tarsinians. We sent a team of doctors and scientists to the island and charged them with locating a cure for the disease and hopefully the cause. Not all of the Tarsinians appreciated their government's request. In fact, there have been a group of nationalists harassing the team since their arrival." Sullivan waited a moment before speaking. "Last night, those nationalists, took the crew hostage, claiming they are responsible for propagating the disease. At this time, they are refusing all of our attempts to communicate, but we believe it is merely a show of strength. We expect them to negotiate for their release. However, it has been decided that we cannot wait to see if they act as predicted. Your job is to rescue the members of the team."

Lucas and Tim looked across the table at one another, each wondering if they were really up to this task.

"I will let Commander McKinnon finish the briefing."

"Thank you, sir," McKinnon said. She waited for the screen to fade before moving to stand behind the podium. "We are operating on a tight schedule," she announced. "We leave for Hawaii in four hours; we are to be engaged in our mission within seventy-two hours after our arrival in Hawaii."

"Why the rush?" Ryan asked.

"HQ wants it resolved quickly. There is little known about Tarsinia. What we do know is that protocol is tight. If they start negotiations, the slightest misstep could have drastic results, so they want the team out of there."

"Makes sense," Rodriguez commented.

"The four hours here will be spent getting ready for our deployment to Hawaii. Once in Hawaii, we will start our intel gathering. Our first priority will be learning all we can about Tarsinia: it's language, culture, history, any information we can find. To that purpose, Wolenczak will search all databases he can find for any records, particularly from old missions to Tarsinia prior to its isolation. Ryan, Adamsen, Hallowell and O'Neil: you're going to scout around the area; there have been some Tarsinians living in Hawaii. In particular, you want to find one that's willing to teach what they can about the language. O'Neil, your priority will to be learn useful phrases so, that when we go in, we don't get shot at the start."

Lucas did not find the mention of getting shot to be particularly comforting. "Dawson and Chandler, you'll be in charge of procuring the necessary supplies once we get a plan formulated. Karneering, you will be given access to the data the team had collected up until being snatched. If you can locate a solution to the problem that would be nice, but it is not our primary concern," McKinnon continued.

"If there's a disease on the island, aren't we susceptible?" Adamsen asked.

"So far, no one on the UEO team has gotten ill. That's one of the reasons the nationalists are suspicious. However, in having Karneering looking at the data, he might find a more surefire solution to avoid getting sick."

"They're going to quarantine us when we get back," Ryan stated.

"It's a possibility."

"Oh won't that be fun?" Rodriguez asked sarcastically. "Ten of us in a little glass room, being watched by a group of doctors."

"We'll worry about it after the mission."

"Something to look forward to?"

"That's the spirit," she agreed. "Now, we will meet on the landing pad at seventeen thirty, for departure at eighteen hundred. Adamsen, Dawson, Chandler, Hallowell and Karneering you will go in Eagle. Rodriguez, Ryan, O'Neil, Wolenczak and myself will go in Hawk. Arrive on time," she ordered. "Dismissed, except for O'Neil and Wolenczak."

"Held after class: you must have done something wrong," Hallowell whispered to Lucas, giving him a quick smile.

Following the others, Lucas and Tim disconnected their computers. "It wouldn't be the first time," he remarked.

"That's a big surprise," Rodriguez remarked, having heard Hallowell's comment.

 

"Have you notified Bridger yet?" Tim asked McKinnon, once the room had cleared and only the five of them were left. Although McKinnon had not told them to remain, both Rodriguez and Ryan had stayed behind.

"Sullivan is taking care of that," she replied.

"So the commander won't get in trouble, let me add that Sullivan won't notify your captain until after we're in the air and headed for Hawaii," Rodriguez added.

"Rodriguez."

"You know it's true, Commander," Rodriguez pointed out. "Bridger is not the kind of man who's going to take it calmly when he finds out that two of his crew have been deployed on a classified mission. Sullivan will want to forestall any major scenes by being able to say we are en route. And Ramsey will back him up."

"You won't be able to contact seaQuest before we leave," McKinnon explained.

"I hope we're quarantined for a long time then," Lucas remarked.

"No kidding," Tim agreed. "He's going to hit the roof."

"Well, it's Sullivan's headache for now. Ryan's going to take you to supply and get you both outfitted, as well as distribute your new IDs."

"I'll make sure you get to the landing pad," Rodriguez interjected. "Ryan will need to do some final checks before we leave."

"What about fixing your system?" Lucas asked.

"No longer a priority now," McKinnon replied. "Can one of the support staff load the program into the remaining stations?"

"Yes."

"That's what will happen then," McKinnon stated. She looked at Lucas and Tim for a minute. "If we didn't need you and if I thought you couldn't handle this, you wouldn't be going."

"Even with your regulations?" Tim inquired.

"There's always a way around the regulations. I checked your records before we even made the request for assistance. I have no doubt that you will be able to do your part."

"We'll do our best," Tim assured her, as Lucas nodded in agreement.

"That's all I ask." There was a moment of silence in the briefing room. "Okay, let's get to work; we have a plane to catch."

"I'll meet you in the lab at sixteen hundred?" Ryan asked Rodriguez.

"I'll be there."

"Let's get you guys some clothes then."

Lucas and Tim followed Ryan out of the briefing room.

 

"That went well," McKinnon remarked.

"I don't think it's quite hit them yet." Rodriguez told her.

"Yeah, well, I would not want to be in Sullivan's shoes right now. From everything I've ever heard about Captain Bridger, he is not going to be happy about any of this."

"You know that, with this kind of rescue, we're going to have to take them in the field to help; they won't be able to stay behind on technical support."

"I know."

"When are you going tell them about section four?"

"I'm looking for the right time."

"I sure hope you find it, although I'm not sure when that might be."

"Thanks, Rodriguez. I knew I could count on you."

 

"You can change in there," Ryan told Lucas and Tim, pointing to two doors and handing them a stack of clothes.

Lucas stepped into the jumpsuit, which matched the other Outriggers', with the exception that it did not have the blue triangle on it. To his surprise, it fit properly. He stood in the room, taking several deep breaths as events finally slowed down enough for him to fully realize what was happening. Ever since their arrival, this had been a fear lurking in the back of his mind. He had faced difficult situations on the seaQuest before, but, somehow, it had never seemed quite so real before. Lucas was entering unfamiliar territory and he hoped he could handle it.

Stepping out of the room, he saw Tim and Ryan waiting for him.

"Sorry, didn't realize I had taken so long," he apologized.

"We're fine on our time," Ryan assured him. She studied him critically. "You look good. Wait here, I'll be right back," she instructed, walking back over to the man that had given her the clothes.

"I feel like I'm playing dress up," Lucas mumbled to Tim.

"I know what you mean."

"We're really going to do this, aren't we?"

"Yes, we are."

"Okay, these are additional uniforms," Ryan said, holding up two bags. "There's a spot for your computers on top. Any additional equipment will be assigned on site."

"What about our stuff here?" Tim asked.

"We'll store it back in the guest quarters; no one will bother it. We travel light."

"I see that," Lucas observed, accepting one of the bags from her. "Of course, with the clothes, you don't have any worries about having the right outfits."

"You're going to do just fine with us," she assured him. "You have the right attitude. Now, we'll take your things back to the room and then we have one more stop before we return to the lab."

"Where's that?" Tim asked.

"Security office, so you can get your badges and clearance codes."

"I'm curious," Lucas started.

"About?"

"In the briefing, why did we have to introduce ourselves?"

"It's a tradition, started when they didn't used to assign Outriggers to teams. It used to be one giant organization. You didn't know who would be working with until you arrived in briefing. You had to introduce yourself, so people would know who you were," Ryan explained, leading them on to the elevator. "It's become habit now."

"Oh."

"Don't you have any lower ranking members on the crew?" Tim asked.

"A lot of the other units do, yes, but we've been lucky. We had a younger crew to start with. That means we've haven't loss anyone to injury in a while. We have a great record, so they don't want to split us up, which lessens our spread of ranks," Ryan acknowledged. "As we lose members to retirement, injury or even their own command, we'll most likely take in a greater cross section of ranks. This is the first time in three years we haven't had the same crew going on assignment."

"That must make us real popular," Lucas observed.

"It's not your fault; we know that. Besides, the moment you stepped into that briefing you became members of Outrigger Blue."

 

Lucas and Tim found themselves on the first floor, where it had all started. This time a man sat behind the desk. Ryan showed her badge and explained where they were headed.

"Okay, follow me," she said, entering the door behind the desk. "Ryan, Jenna, Lieutenant Commander, Outrigger Blue," she told the woman inside. "I need clearances for two new members."

"They're ready. They gave you guys a fast turnaround," the woman remarked.

"Just lucky, I guess. Don't worry, we'll come back okay, Matheson."

"Have no doubts about that; McKinnon wouldn't want to ruin her record." Matheson looked at the information in front of her. "Okay, you two swear not to divulge any information outside your unit?" she asked Lucas and Tim.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Haven't been here too long have they?" she questioned Ryan. "All right then, Mr. O'Neil, here's one badge, one security card, one ID and your security code, memorize it now, please. I can't allow it to leave the room."

Tim stared at the string of numbers, swiftly committing them to memory and then accepted the other items. Ryan helped him stow the security card and ID into one of the uniform's many pockets, then clipped the badge inside the upper pocket. Matheson led Lucas through getting his materials and learning his code.

"Make sure they test the codes before they go," Matheson advised Ryan.

"Of course. I remember that lesson."

"Good," she said curtly. "I'll see you when you get back."

"Okay, let's get back up to the lab," Ryan told Lucas and Tim, checking the time. "I still have equipment get ready. O'Neil, try your card on the elevator. Wolenczak, you'll let us in the lab," she instructed.

 

Tim nervously entered the numbers on the elevator, which opened automatically.

"Now what?"

"Hit the floor number," she said, pointing to the right button. "And then enter the code again."

"This is very complicated; I think I liked it better when you were responsible," Lucas told her.

Ryan smiled. "It becomes habit, trust me."

"I hope we're not with you long enough to find out," Tim commented, as they stepped out of the elevator.

"Your turn," he told Lucas. "Great," Lucas mumbled, swiping his card and then entering the proper code.

"Well, no alarms, no men with guns pointing them at us, I'd say it worked," Ryan remarked cheerfully.

"Thank you for that image."

"Any time."

Inside the lab, they found it empty, except for Rodriguez, who sat at the station previously occupied Tim. Apparently, he was finishing up the comparisons McKinnon had ordered Tim to start.

"I'll be done in a minute," he said. "You can go do whatever it is you need to get done, Ryan."

"Okay. Just don't forget to bring them to the roof with you."

"Not likely."

"Any thing we can do?" Tim inquired politely.

"No, you're going to have plenty to do when we land in Hawaii. Just relax for now," Rodriguez instructed, his mind focused on the screen. "Okay, let me send this to Sullivan," he mumbled, more to himself than his two companions.

"Mind if I ask why you were doing this?" Tim was curious, since he had been working on it earlier.

"There's some discrepancies in one of the mission logs done by another unit; Sullivan had us running a comparison to see where they differ," he replied.

Lucas and Tim stared at him in surprise; neither had expected him to answer the question.

"It's not top secret," he said, responding to their looks.

"Yes, but you are not exactly known for being particularly talkative," Lucas pointed out. "Suddenly you explain what you're doing; forgive us if it caught us by surprise."

"You have an attitude don't you?" Rodriguez noted.

Lucas shrugged his shoulders. "It was just an observation," he remarked, ignoring the look Tim was giving him. Lucas was starting to understand Rodriguez's personality. He knew if he responded by apologizing for his comment, he would lose what respect he had built up with the other man.

Rodriguez gazed at him for a moment. "Fortunately, I like an attitude."

"I'll make a note of that."

"Lucas!" Tim hissed at him. This was not the time for Lucas to start acting like a teenager and getting temperamental.

"Problem?" McKinnon asked, joining them and making Rodriguez jump, to Lucas's amusement.

"No, Wolenczak and I are just getting better acquainted," Rodriguez answered. Rodriguez appreciated the fact that Lucas was unwilling to let him intimidate him.

"That's good. Then you won't mind being roommates in Hawaii," she stated. "I want to put you three together," she continued. She had seen Tim's somewhat shocked expression and heard him saying Lucas's name like he really wanted to strangle the teenager. She recognized the tone; Rodriguez and Ryan evoked it in her all the time, usually when they were meeting with their superiors. She had also noted the mildly amused expression on Rodriguez's face and that Lucas had been giving him an even look. McKinnon had a feeling the two had a lot more respect for one another than either would admit openly. Plus, she had to confess to a certain enjoyment at seeing someone aggravate Rodriguez, since he usually delighted in annoying everyone else.

"Of course not," Tim replied, when the other two did not offer a response. "What ever arrangements you want to make will be fine." He glared at Lucas, who stared back at him with an innocent expression.

"Just don't expect me to tuck you in," Rodriguez muttered to Lucas.

"Did you say something, Commander?" McKinnon inquired, knowing she was better off for not hearing the comment.

"No, Commander. I sent the results of the comparison off to Captain Sullivan," Rodriguez offered, changing the subject. He knew that McKinnon tolerated a certain amount of latitude in the behavior of the unit, but he did not want to push her goodwill, at least not this early into a new assignment.

Lucas was not going to repeat the remark either, recognizing that, if he did, Tim was likely to get even more stressed about the current situation. He did not feel he had made any inappropriate comments, although he had to admit that he had made them to Rodriguez, because the man irritated him. He also had to confess that Rodriguez had not retreated and pulled rank on him, which he could have easily done. While Lucas was not a military member, as part of seaQuest, he did have to accept the chain of command.

"Any major differences?"

"Some sequential problems. If we had more time, it would be better."

"We'll have to let Sullivan handle it until we return." McKinnon turned to Lucas and Tim. "You're all ready?"

"To the best of our knowledge," Tim answered, not willing to give Lucas any chance to speak.

"Good. I have a few more details to take care of before we leave. You'll excuse me while I borrow Rodriguez for a minute."

"What were you thinking?" Tim asked Lucas, as soon as McKinnon and Rodriguez had walked out of earshot.

"I just made a comment; it wasn't even directed at him personally. It was a general statement about their being rather close mouthed," Lucas protested.

"You were deliberately goading him," Tim argued.

"He wasn't exactly sitting there not speaking."

"That's not the point! You didn't have to continue the conversation. You should have apologized and left it at that."

"I didn't say anything that warranted an apology. And he didn't seem offended."

"We have to work with him."

"I know," Lucas said, hoping Tim got tired of this topic soon.

"Just don't do it again. I really don't want McKinnon reporting back to Bridger that we couldn't cooperate with the members of her team."

"She wouldn't do that."

"Let's not give her any reason to do it."

 

"So, is there a problem between you and Wolenczak?" McKinnon inquired, as she and Rodriguez ,walked towards the door.

"Now, Commander, why would you ask that?" he asked with feigned innocence.

"Because O'Neil looked ready to have some kind of
apoplectic fit when I entered. And since the two of you were engaged in conversation, I naturally assumed that had something to do with it."

"It was nothing," Rodriguez said seriously.

"I didn't think so, but I have to check."

"I know. That's why they put you in charge."

"Right. I just don't want them to be uncomfortable with this situation."

"I know, but something about him just makes me want to give him a hard time," Rodriguez confessed.

"Probably because he hasn't learned to fully accept authority." "Is that all, Doctor Freud?" Rodriguez asked sarcastically.

"For now. I'll send you the bill later."

"I'll see you on the roof."

 

Rodriguez returned to Lucas and Tim. "You need anything from your room?" he asked.

"No. Ryan took us down before we came here," Tim replied.

"Well, we're running short on time, so you'll have to come with me to mine. I have to get my gear. Then we'll go to the roof and get ready to get out of here. We have to be on time; McKinnon's a firm believer in setting a good example. She gets really annoyed if I'm late."

"That's fine."

 

Rodriguez's room was immaculate inside. Everything was neat and tidy. "You were expecting the call?"

Lucas asked, when he pulled a bag out from under his bunk.

"Always. Most of us keep our bags packed, since we take the same basic equipment every time. Some times we aren't given any time at all to get ready, just the time it takes to grab our bags and run. Other times, we plan it here, so we don't deploy right away," Rodriguez explained, as he checked the contents of the bag. "Okay, we're all set."

 

McKinnon was already on the roof, talking to the pilots when they arrived. Two helicopters were on the landing pad, waiting for the arrival of the unit.

"One of these days, I'll beat her," Rodriguez commented with a sigh.

"Don't count on it," Ryan said, walking up. "She's psychic about those things."

"You calling the commander psychotic?" Chandler asked, joining them.

"Say it a little louder and we'll find out."

"Yes, campers it's going to be another exciting day at Camp Outrigger," Karneering said. "Either of you prone to airsickness?" he asked Lucas and Tim.

"No," both answered.

"Thank goodness!" Rodriguez said with a certain amount of relief. "You did get your shot, didn't you?" he quizzed Ryan.

"Only because we're travelling with the new guys."

"I knew there was a good reason you two were coming along," Rodriguez told Lucas and Tim.

Lucas wanted to make a comment, but Tim kicked him in the side of leg, a move that Rodriguez and Ryan both caught. Rodriguez looked amused, while Ryan gave him a puzzled look, realizing she had missed something.

Checking the time, Lucas noticed that the team had assembled by seventeen thirty. Judging from the expression on McKinnon's face, as they had waited for the last members to arrive, it was a good thing.

"Okay, we're running on a schedule here. Karneering! Adamsen! Dawson! Chandler! Hallowell! Eagle is ready for boarding!" McKinnon called out. Lucas and Tim watched as the five began swiftly getting into the helicopter. It was obviously something they had done many times before, since there seemed to be a pattern to their actions.

"When we get on, we'll all have headsets, so we can talk," Ryan explained to Lucas and Tim, while McKinnon made sure the first helicopter was prepared for departure.

"We have a few more details to cover," Rodriguez added.

Lucas and Tim looked at him, wondering, with a certain amount of trepidation, what was left to cover about this assignment. Both Rodriguez and Ryan had blank looks on their faces, so it was impossible to tell if they were going to like what they heard or not.

"Let's get moving, gang!" McKinnon called to them. Rodriguez climbed in first, offering a hand to Lucas and then Tim.

"Take a seat and we'll be airborne in no time. Ryan gets to sit in the back, just in case the shot doesn't work," he added.

Once they were settled in their seats, Rodriguez checked to make sure they were properly strapped in.

"One for you," he said, handing Lucas a headset. "And one for you." Tim accepted the headset and put it on.

"Thanks," McKinnon said, taking hers. "Okay, gentlemen, we are ready," she instructed the pilots. The departure went smoothly, although Ryan turned ghostly white in the process. "Don't worry; this is normal," she assured Lucas and Tim, who looked at her with concern.

"We have a few more details to cover with you,"

McKinnon said to Lucas and Tim, as she and Rodriguez unstrapped.

"I don't think I like the sound of this," Lucas mumbled.

"First, these are for your uniforms," McKinnon told them, holding up two blue triangles. "You are part of the team. Rodriguez?" McKinnon passed him the triangles.

"This won't take but a second," Rodriguez commented to Tim, as he removed the back off the patch. He placed it on his right shoulder and held it in place.

"And there's one more rule we have to go over," McKinnon added.

"What?" Lucas inquired, watching as Rodriguez prepared the badge to go on his uniform.

"We have an armament clause in our regulations," McKinnon confessed.

"A what?" Tim asked, his voice rising in pitch slightly.

"Section four, paragraph nine, subsection E of the Outrigger Code of Conduct," McKinnon quoted, "requires that all field operatives be armed for the duration of the assignment."

Rodriguez, who had just applied the triangle to Lucas's arm, felt the teenager tense up at the mention of being armed.

"You're saying" Lucas let his voice trail off.

"I'm saying that you have to carry a weapon. Anything can happen in the field," McKinnon spoke seriously, "and I can't guarantee that we'll be around to protect you. Not only do you need to be able to defend yourself, you need to be able to back us up."

"I can't wait for Bridger to hear this part," Tim stuttered. As an officer, Tim knew about weapons and could use one, but it was not a part of the job he liked to think about. The idea of Lucas having to carry one was somewhat mind-boggling.

"With any luck, he won't," Rodriguez remarked. "After Sullivan gets to the deployment clause, he'll try to avoid discussing this one."

McKinnon glared at him, wanting to finish her explanation. "You'll be carrying weapons designed to temporarily immobilize any attackers. In general, we try to avoid any permanent consequences from an engagement." Both assumed that was a euphemistic way of saying they tried to avoid killing anyone on an assignment. "We don't use the sonic type, because we run the risk of not having ear plugs in at the appropriate time. Ryan will issue you each a weapon and fully demonstrate its use when we arrive in Hawaii."

"Relax; last three assignments we haven't had to discharge our weapons," Ryan tried to reassure them.

"You also thought you wouldn't be deployed before we left," Tim pointed out.

"More importantly, are there any more clauses that you haven't bothered to mention that might effect us at this time?" Lucas asked.

McKinnon looked at them closely before answering. "At this time, there are none that will effect your participation in our mission."

Lucas and Tim looked at her, sensing she was being purposely evasive in her answer. "No wonder you have a hard time working with outsiders," Lucas commented.

"Actually, I take that back. Either one of you jumped before?" she asked.

"Jumped?" Tim repeated.

"From an airplane or helicopter," she clarified. "It's not a big requirement for being on a submarine," Tim reminded her. Lucas gave him a look: sarcasm was not something that came naturally to Tim. "Why?"

"Some times we can't land at our destination, so we have to jump."

Lucas closed his eyes and hoped he woke up soon. This was going to be a very interesting assignment.

"I've never jumped out of an airplane before," he finally said. He did not add the fact that he was not particularly fond of heights. He never looked down from anything higher than the third floor because it paralyzed him. He really hoped this would not become an issue.

"We can partner jump," Rodriguez interjected, noticing that Lucas looked rather unsettled by the idea. He hoped this was the last thing McKinnon had to add before they could settle and relax a little before arriving in Hawaii. "We've done it before."

"Hopefully, it won't be necessary," Ryan added.

"I think we've heard that song before," Lucas mumbled. Although the comment was intended only for Tim's ears, they all heard it.

 

Rodriguez waited a few minutes, making sure McKinnon had nothing more to say, then he tapped Tim on the shoulder. He wanted to make sure the lieutenant was not too upset about the recent discussion.

"Don't blame her," he spoke softly, nodding at McKinnon. "She was only following her orders."

"I understand that, but these are things that should have been considered before you requested Lucas. He is not part of the military," Tim hissed.

"She knows that, but she did not make the call. I know her, O'Neil," Rodriguez spoke determinedly. "She did everything she could, short of getting herself in big trouble, to keep this from happening. When they put the request in, McKinnon honestly believed that there was no way we were going to get called out. And if she really felt either one of you were in jeopardy, she would still be arguing with Sullivan."

"I hope you're right." Tim finally told him.

"I'm going to go see if Ryan's okay," Rodriguez said, knowing there was nothing more for him to say.

 

"You all right?" Tim asked Lucas quietly.

The teenager opened his eyes. "Just peachy, Tim."

Tim smiled. It couldn't be too bad; Lucas still had his attitude. "It's going to be fine."

"Think it's too late to tell the captain to stuff this request?"

"Probably," Tim agreed, "given that we're already in the air and on our way to Hawaii.

"I was afraid of that."

 

"Well that certainly set the mood," Ryan commented to Rodriguez.

"Definitely."

"I assume you were telling O'Neil that she didn't have a choice."

"I don't know if he believed me."

"It's going to be fine."

"I hope you're right."

"SeaQuest has been in some tight spots," Ryan pointed out. "It's not like they're unfamiliar with the concept of danger. Neither one of them would be there if they couldn't handle it."

"A lot different than what we do."

"True, but I think they'll surprise you."

"Frankly, Ryan, I hope they don't get a chance. If things go smoothly, we won't have to worry."

 

"Everyone better strap in; we're going to be landing soon," McKinnon announced. "Captain Sullivan is supposed to be notifying your captain of the situation within the hour," McKinnon told Lucas and Tim, wanting them to know. "He will not be notified of your whereabouts or your assignment at this time. When we debrief, you will be informed how much of the information is public and how much is classified."

"I imagine we'll hear his reaction from here," Tim remarked with a slight smile.

 

Captain Nathan Bridger sighed as he sent out the notice to recall the seaQuest crew, who were still enjoying leave, to return to the ship. Their repairs were completed and the seaQuest was being sent out earlier than had been anticipated. Bridger had hoped to allow his crew to enjoy some more leisure time. He shook his head as he imagined how his two crew members on temporary duty were going to react.

Although neither one had vocalized any complaints, he knew both had hoped to enjoy a day or two of relaxation before having to return to duty. Now, he had to recall them from the Outriggers with a only a promise to make sure the two got leave the next time the seaQuest stayed any where long enough for them to have a few days.

"Bridger," he said, answering the comm unit in the wardroom.

"Captain, we've notified all the remaining crew members that they need to return," Commander Jonathan Ford informed him. "Captain Sullivan is on line," he added.

"Good. Patch him through," Bridger instructed. He was glad Sullivan was returning his earlier call so quickly. They might get to leave on time, if he could Lucas and Tim back. Within moments, Captain Sullivan appeared on screen. "Captain Sullivan," he greeted him.

"Captain Bridger," Sullivan returned. Normally a direct man, he hesitated to give Bridger the news he was delivering.

"I'm afraid I need to request the return of Mr. O'Neil and Mr. Wolenczak," Bridger said apologetically. "We're being sent out on a new assignment sooner than I expected."

Sullivan made himself a mental promise that, next time, Admiral Ramsey would make this call. "I'm afraid that's not possible, Captain."

"Not possible?" Bridger asked, already sensing he was not going to like what he was going to hear next.

"No. In compliance with Section thirteen, paragraph seven of the Outrigger Code of Conduct, Mr. O'Neil and Mr. Wolenczak were deployed with Outrigger Blue as of eighteen hundred hours." Sullivan retreated to the regulations.

"What?!?" Bridger yelled at the vid-screen, as he jumped up from his chair.

"That particular regulation stipulates that any one serving in an Outrigger unit, even on a temporary basis, is subject to field assignment should the need arise," Sullivan quoted.

"I do not recall that being mentioned when I agreed to loan you two of my crew members."

"At the time, it was seen as unimportant."

Bridger stared at the man. "You think that the being able to deploy my communications officer and a sixteen-year-old was not important? I think it was extremely important. Where are they? And when will I get them back?" he demanded.

"That information is classified, Captain. They will return when the assignment is complete and debriefing is finished."

"Classified?!?"

"It's important to protect the integrity of their current mission."

"They were sent to you to do some translation and fix your computers, not to be given a mission!"

"Perhaps you want to take this up with Admiral Ramsey," Sullivan offered, wanting nothing more than to end this conversation.

"I most certainly do," Bridger said.

"I'll have him contact you."

"I'll contact him, I assure you, Captain!" Bridger had no intention of waiting for the Admiral to get around to contacting him. "Good bye, Captain," he added, ending the link. "Commander Ford?"

"Yes, sir?" Ford answered; he could hear the under current of anger in Bridger's voice and wondered about its cause.

"Please get Admiral Ramsey on the line now!"

"Yes, sir. Is everything all right, Captain?"

"I don't know yet," Bridger said, with a sigh. Sitting down, Bridger tried to envision explaining this to the crew. He only hoped it was some kind of horrible mistake. Unfortunately, Sullivan was not known for making errors of this magnitude. He groaned at the thought of telling Dr. Kristin Westphalen this piece of news. She did not care for the military part of their job to begin with; the thought trying to explain how Lucas and Tim, especially Lucas, had been deployed with an elite group like the Outriggers made him cringe.

"Admiral Ramsey is on the line, sir," Ford interrupted his thoughts.

"Admiral, I have a problem," Bridger said, looking at Admiral Walter Ramsey and trying to stay calm; it would not do to start screaming at an admiral, no matter how justified he felt it might be.

"I assume you are referring to temporary assignment of Lieutenant O'Neil and Mr. Wolenczak," Admiral Ramsey interjected. "Their field assignment with the Outriggers is legitimate and in keeping with the regulations."

"Why wasn't I informed of these regulations?"

"Commander McKinnon explained the parameters of their assignment when they arrived."

"I want to know why no one notified me? They are members of my crew." Bridger found himself heating up.

"Captain, at the time, no one anticipated Outrigger Blue's current situation. However, just as their skills were needed for our initial request, they are a necessary part of the unit now."

"You would send a sixteen-year-old and a communications officer with little tactical training out on a mission with a group with a reputation of handling very dangerous assignments and say they're a necessary part of the unit?" Bridger finally yelled.

"Commander McKinnon has a very good reputation, as does her unit; your crew members are in no danger."

"Forgive me if I'm not inclined to take your word for it."

"There's nothing I can do; the unit is en route to their destination. They are being counted on to provide a certain function for the team at this time. I will not allow them to be recalled."

"Captain?" Ford's voice interrupted.

"Yes?" Bridger asked tersely, wondering what else could go wrong.

"Admiral Noyce is on the line."

Judging from the expression on Ramsey's face, Bridger knew he wasn't going to like what his old friend had to say. "I'll leave you to your call, Captain," Ramsey said, ending the link.

"I want my crew back, Bill!" Bridger shouted as soon as Noyce appeared on screen.

"Calm down, Nathan."

"Don't tell me to calm down! I've just been notified that two members of my crew are now on some classified mission with an Outrigger unit. I didn't mind loaning them for some work at headquarters, but no one said a word about being deployed!"

"There's nothing you can do about it, Nathan," Noyce said softly. "It has the backing of the Secretary-General."

"You're not serious! We're talking about two people who are not trained for this kind of situation, one of whom is sixteen years old!" Bridger recognized that he was obsessing about Lucas' age, but he could not help himself.

"The Outriggers cleared them for deployment; there's nothing I can do."

"Nothing had better happen to either one of them," Bridger said evenly. He recognized there was nothing he could do about it, except hope for the best.

"I'm sure they'll be fine. Commander McKinnon has an excellent reputation," Noyce tried to reassure him. "You are to leave port as soon as your crew returns from leave. O'Neil and Wolenczak will meet up with you when they're finished with the Outriggers."

"Where are they? Can you at least tell me that?"

"I don't know; they wouldn't give me that information, probably because they knew I'd tell you." Bridger talked a few more minutes before ending the link.

"Commander Ford?" "Yes, sir?"

"Who are we waiting for?"

"Lucas, Tim and Commander Hitchcock," Ford reported. "Wait a minute, docking bay says Hitchcock just arrived."

"Set course for the coordinates I gave you previously and have everyone meet in the wardroom in fifteen< minutes," Bridger ordered.

"Sir, what about?"

"Lay in the course, Commander. We're going to be doing this assignment without Lucas and Tim."

"Yes, sir."

 

"Ah, home sweet home," Rodriguez said, as Outrigger Blue disembarked from the helicopters at Barbers Point NAS.

"Welcome to Camp Outrigger," Ryan hailed Lucas and Tim.

"This is where we train before being assigned to a unit," Chandler clarified for them.

"One hundred and ninety days of pure fun and excitement," Karneering interjected. "I still say it's a sad waste of space."

"Well, who are we to argue with the decisions of our superiors?" Rodriguez asked wryly.

"Why not? You do it all the time," Adamsen pointed out.

"Up until the base closures of the Nineties, this used to be an active base," McKinnon explained to Lucas and Tim. "Then it sat unused until they decided to make it our training ground. We also use it for a base of operations when we're in this part of the world."

"So what's the plan?" Ryan asked.

"Get our gear stowed and then we'll get to work."

"Looks like our ride is here," Hallowell said, as two jeeps arrived at the landing area.

"Good. Okay, we're staying in the barracks next to the computer center," McKinnon announced, ignoring the groans of the unit.

"The showers never work and the electricity goes off at regular intervals," Karneering muttered to Tim under his breath.

"And the roof leaks," Rodriguez reminded him.

"Room assignments: Rodriguez, O'Neil and Wolenczak 309; Hallowell and Chandler 310; Ryan and Adamsen 311; Dawson and Karneering 312; and I'll be in 308."

"How do you always manage to end up in your own room?" Rodriguez asked.

"It's one of the perks of having to command people like you, Rodriguez," McKinnon retorted.

"I hope you get something more than that," Lucas mumbled, mainly to himself, although, judging from the elbow in the side he received from Tim and the look from Rodriguez, the comment did not remain private.

"She's probably getting hazard pay for you," Rodriguez uttered back, keeping his voice low enough to avoid being heard by anyone other than Lucas.

"Let's get moving," McKinnon encouraged the group. "I know you're all anxious to get to work."

 

It was only a ten minute drive to the barracks where they were staying. Lucas, Tim and Rodriguez found a set of bunk beds in their room and a single bunk.

"Showers are at the end of the hall," Rodriguez informed them as they stored their bags. "You'll want to bring your computers with you, but the uniforms can stay here."

"You know, Tim, I just had a really bad thought," Lucas remarked.

"What?" Tim asked, looking at him. "I know Bridger is going to hit the roof when he hears about this. Can you imagine how Dr. Westphalen is going to react?"

Tim groaned. "I could have gone the entire assignment without you bringing that to my attention."

"What's the big deal?" Rodriquez inquired, looking from one to the other.

"She's not real keen on the military," Lucas explained. "The idea of Tim and me being out here with you guys is not going to make her happy. After she gives Bridger a hard time, she's probably going to call Noyce and read him the riot act, which will be followed by anyone else she can get a hold of to lecture."

"And you better hope we are not quarantined," Tim added. "She will get herself assigned to the medical team and she will make your lives miserable."

"Why us?"

"Because you'll be handy," Lucas told him. "Not to worry: she'll get the two of us. No matter what happens, I see a long and very thorough physical in our near future."

"She'll probably be waiting for us with a security team to drag us down to medbay," Tim agreed. "This is not a woman you want to mess with."

"Guess I better tell Karneering to work real hard on figuring out a way to avoid quarantine."

"You guys ready to go?" McKinnon asked from the doorway. "I'm trying to get everyone rounded up; we're going to hold a general meeting then get started."

"Yes. I'll go ahead and take Wolenczak and O'Neil over to the center," Rodriguez volunteered.

"Good. Hopefully, I can get the rest over there soon. We're going to try and keep it short tonight: start fresh in the morning."

"Sounds good."

 

"Any idea what's going on?" Chief Miguel Ortiz asked Lieutenant Benjamin Krieg, as they headed into the wardroom.

"Not a clue," he admitted. "I barely got back when Ford told me to get down here."

"I guess we're going to find out soon," Miguel told him, right before they entered the room. Bridger was still seated there; he had opted not to tell Dr. Westphalen the news privately, hoping she would have a better reaction with others present.

"Well, it was nice while it lasted," Lieutenant Commander Katie Hitchcock commented to Dr. Kristin Westphalen, as they entered together.

"Yes, well, we got more than some."

Ford entered last; he had purposely waited, since, as far as he knew, he was the only one apart from Bridger who knew that Lucas and Tim had not returned to the seaQuest prior to leaving port. He had not wanted to evade questions. Taking his seat, he waited for Bridger to speak.

"We have just received priority orders from UEO command," Bridger began.

"Aren't we missing some people?" Katie asked, noticing that Tim was not present; neither was Lucas and he usually turned up in these meetings.

"No, we're not," Bridger answered shortly, having decided it would be better to drop that particular bombshell at the end of the meeting. "We are going to be proceeding to Tarsinia."

"I thought they had no dealings with the UEO or any other power, for that matter," Kristin remarked.

"Until two months ago that was true. Then they requested medical assistance in fighting a disease that is killing the citizens on the island. Unfortunately, the team the UEO sent has had little success in locating the cause or a cure. Last night, a group of Tarsinian nationalists took the team hostage, blaming them for the disease's continuing spread. While they have made no communication attempts at this time, UEO command believes that they will try to negotiate. We are being sent to handle the negotiations. At the same time, Dr. Westphalen, they would like your staff to work on finding out what the disease is and, hopefully, a cure," Bridger explained. "We will need to learn everything we can about the Tarsinians, particularly their culture. Protocol is very important to them; we cannot afford to make any misstatements or wrong gestures that will anger them."

"Isn't something like this right up Lucas's alley?" Chief Crocker asked. "And Tim too, if you're talking about languages?"

Bridger took a moment of silence to collect his thoughts. "We will be doing without the services of both Lucas and Mr. O'Neil on this particular assignment," he finally stated.

"Why?" Kristin asked immediately, sensing this was something out of the ordinary.

"As you all know, the Outriggers made a special request for their assistance while we were in port," Bridger began slowly, wishing there was a way to avoid this conversation.

"Surely you could have gotten them back."

Bridger looked at the crew and knew that, no matter how he told them, it was going to hit them hard.

"When I requested that they return to seaQuest, Captain Sullivan informed me that they had been deployed with Outrigger Blue at eighteen hundred hours."

"What?!?" Miguel yelled, turning red when everyone stared, even though he was only voicing the question on everyone's minds.

"Apparently, Admiral Ramsey and Captain Sullivan did not feel it necessary to mention that when anyone is assigned to the Outriggers TDY, they are considered deployable members of the unit they are working with," Bridger explained with more patience than he felt.

"Where are they?" Kristin demanded.

"That information is classified," he confessed. "I spoke with both Admiral Ramsey and Admiral Noyce, who said that they will not return until they have completed their mission with the Outriggers."

"Mission?!" Kristin yelled. "They've sent a sixteen-year-old on a mission?!?"

"Captain, there wasn't anything you could do?" Katie questioned.

"No. Noyce informed me that it had the Secretary-General's backing."

"How long will they be gone?" Crocker asked.

"Until the assignment is finished. They wouldn't give me a date."

"Captain, how could they take them on assignment? They aren't trained for that kind of work," Ford finally spoke up. Ever since Bridger had given the order to leave port without the two, he had been worried. Now he understood why.

"They were cleared for deployment by Outrigger command. My hands are tied on this one."

"So, what you're saying is that Lucas and Tim are god knows where, doing god knows what with a group of people who have a reputation for getting into dangerous situations and unorthodox methods of problem solving, and we don't know when they'll be back," Kristin summed up.

"I bet they didn't mention the armament clause," Ben mumbled under his breath. Later he would want to kick himself for not staying quiet.

"Mr. Krieg, what was that?" Bridger asked.

"Well, uh, sir, my father had a friend who was an Outrigger," Ben stammered.

"And?"

"He, uh, mentioned that when the Outriggers go into the field they all have to be armed, sir," Ben said in quick rush. "Of course, he was drunk at the time." There was a moment of absolute silence.

"They are going to give Lucas a gun?" Kristin managed to get out. Ford gave Ben an icy glare across the table and Katie elbowed him in the side.

"At least Tim's had some training," Crocker said, filling in the continuing silence and not wanting to address the thought on everyone's mind.

"They are going to arm a sixteen-year-old boy?" Kristin repeated.

"I have a friend whose wife served with the Outriggers, " Katie interjected. "She once said that most of their weapons are solely for immobilization: that generally they don't use lethal force." Katie knew it wasn't much, but it was the best she could offer.

"No offense, Katie, but I do not find that comforting," Kristin informed her. "I refuse to accept the necessity of arming either one of those two. What could they possibly be doing that would require them to need a weapon? No, please don't answer that; I don't think I want to know."

"I have been assured that Commander McKinnon has a good reputation," Bridger offered, although he knew it was not going to diffuse the situation.

"So, now we have Lucas and Tim going out god know where, doing god knows what with weapons?" Kristin asked, completely ignoring Bridger's statement. "I just want to make sure I have it all clear in my mind." "What do we do?" Ford asked, trying not to think of the implications of what had just been said.

"We proceed to our destination, and hope that, by the time we finish, they are ready to rejoin us." Bridger cringed at the look Kristin shot him and knew he had not heard the last from that quarter yet. After assigning various tasks relating to the mission, he dismissed them.

"How could they just send them out like that?" Kristin asked.

"I don't know. I tried to get that question answered myself," he replied.

"He's only sixteen, Nathan."

"I'm fully aware of that fact," he reminded her. "But I can't even find out where they are."

"What kind of assignments could they be doing that requires a sixteen-year-old, and communications officer, to be armed?" she inquired heatedly. "Something should have been said before you agreed to let them go. You wouldn't have if you had known, would you?"

"Of course not," he said. "They didn't think it would be an issue."

"Do not defend them, Nathan."

"I'm not. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is justify the fact no one let me know about this."

 

"You had to mention the detail about the weapons, didn't you?" Miguel asked Ben, as they sat in mess, eating dinner.

"It just popped out," he defended himself.

"Next time, think before you talk, Krieg," Ford instructed, sitting down at their table. "The image of them being on some kind of mission with the Outriggers was horrifying enough without you painting the picture of either one of them being armed."

"I didn't intend to upset any one."

"You did more than upset people," Miguel pointed out. "You certainly got the doctor riled up."

"He's right," Katie agreed, joining them. "I mean, of all the people on this ship, there are not two people I would find less likely to fit in with the Outriggers than Lucas and Tim. And it's not the idea of them having weapons that concerns me, it's the idea that they're in a situation where they might need to be armed."

The other three looked at her and nodded their agreement.

"I don't understand why we can't even know where they are," Miguel commented. He was worried about both of his friends.

"I don't think we want to go into that discussion," Ben informed him.

"It would be better than not knowing."

"Did you know?" Katie asked Ford.

"I knew we left port without them, but I didn't know why," he admitted.

"Bridger must have had a fit when he found out."

"I'm glad I didn't have to tell him."

"I suggest you stay out his and Kristin's line of fire," Katie advised Ben. "You did not score any points."

"I get the picture all ready. I was just sitting there and the image of them sending Lucas and Tim out there, armed, jumped in my head. I'm sorry if it made me react like that, but I'm worried about them too!"

"I know; I'm sorry," she apologized quickly.

 

"Okay, we're going to keep tonight's activities short, mainly because we're all tired from our trip," McKinnon announced to the group, that had assembled in a small conference room. "In the morning, HQ hopes to have some people for us to interview about Tarsinian culture. Ryan, Adamsen, Hallowell and O'Neil, you will be conducting those interviews. Wolenczak, I want you on all the databases, looking for anything you can find on the island. Rodriguez will be helping you out. Tomorrow, I'm going to contact Sullivan and see if I can find out what else is going on with the situation. Karneering, your job is to analyze the data and see what you can find out about that disease. Chandler, you and Dawson will need to check with supply here and make sure they have the standard equipment and try to start getting that ready."

"Are we on restriction tonight?" Ryan asked.

"No, tonight is a free night. After that, you're on restriction."

"What's that mean?" Lucas asked Rodriguez quietly.

"We get to go off base if we want tonight. After this, we have to sign in and out and can only leave for official business. Basically, it means that people like you and me are stuck here until we leave for Tarsinia. Those conducting interviews get a little more freedom. It's to keep us out of trouble," he explained. "They don't want anything going wrong, so, by restricting our movements, there's less chance of trouble developing."

"How fun."

"Yeah, you and I are going to get to spend a lot of time together."

"I hope I can handle the excitement."

"Okay, okay, go have a good evening. Just remember: lights out at twenty two hundred," McKinnon ordered.

"And she'll be checking," Rodriguez informed Lucas.

"Come on, Rodriguez; we'll take you and Wolenczak out to dinner before you are locked up in this place," Ryan invited.

"You really know how to spread the joy, don't you?"

"Always. McKinnon, you want to join us?" Ryan called.

"Sure, as long as you promise not take us anywhere that the health department has condemned."

"I make one mistake, one time, two years ago and you won't drop it."

"That one mistake put over half the unit in the hospital. Poor Rodriguez nearly ended up in ICU!" Dawson reminded her.

"We got food poisoning," Chandler explained for the benefit of Lucas and Tim.

"Thanks a lot, guys."

"Any time."

"Okay, who's going with us?" Ryan asked. In the end, all ten decided to go together.

 

Lucas sat, listening to the conversation around him. He had ended up seated between McKinnon and Ryan and across from Tim. Ryan had brought them to an Italian restaurant in Honolulu, where they had ordered several pizzas and salads for Tim and Karneering, neither of whom wanted to eat the pizza.

"It's not poisoned," Ryan assured him, noticing that he was not eating his food.

"At least, not that we know of yet," Rodriguez pointed out; seated on Ryan's other side, he had heard her comment.

Tim glanced over at Lucas with sympathy. "So, do you think the yelling has stopped yet?" he asked, hoping to divert attention.

"Stopped?" Lucas repeated. "If he's told the rest of the crew, it's safe to say it's just barely started."

"You're probably right. I really hope they have plenty of time to calm down before we get back."

McKinnon noted the exchange and approved of it: not the content so much as the reason for Tim starting it. He had seen his friend was uncomfortable, so he had jumped in to take the attention off him. It was a good quality to have. She also had the feeling that Lucas would do the same for Tim. McKinnon noticed these things because her time with the Outriggers had trained her to look for incidents like that. Part of being a team was watching out for each other, in any situation.

"Hey, McKinnon, stop analyzing us and eat!" Karneering called to her. He recognized the thoughtful look on her face.

"Yeah, we're supposed to be relaxing now, not working," Adamsen reminded her.

"Besides, Dawson's going to tell us about his date with Rayburn from Yellow," Chandler added.

"Would that be the Rayburn that arrested him?" Rodriguez inquired.

"It could have happened to anyone," Dawson protested.

"Casanova's been arrested on three dates, had six vehicle accidents and been hospitalized nine times during the time we've known him," Ryan explained.

"All date related."

"Don't forget the three house fires," Adamsen reminded.

"Or the thirteen broken windows," Karneering put in.

"What about the one that wanted to commit him for a psych eval?" Hallowell inquired.

"Sounds very interesting," Tim commented.

"I've had some bad luck with dating," Dawson admitted. The rest of the table laughed. "Like you've all had brilliant successes," he challenged.

"Compared to you, yes," Karneering insisted.

"Doc, your ex-wife doused your clothes in alcohol and set them on fire. That's not healthy."

"Only the one time."

"And, at least, you weren't wearing them," Ryan offered.

"Ah, yes, another burst of cheer from Little Miss Merry Sunshine over there. The only woman who would find a redeeming quality in a serial killer," Hallowell said.

"If you spent all the time I did with Dr. Death over here," Ryan said, nodding at Rodriguez, "you'd have the same attitude, otherwise we'd be terminally depressed."

"What's wrong with that?" Rodriquez queried.

"Are you going to let them get started?" Adamsen asked McKinnon.

"I'm just sitting here, minding my own business," McKinnon responded. "It's not my turn to referee."

"Either of you want the job?" Adamsen quizzed Lucas and Tim. "We need some new blood to handle it."

"I'll pass," Tim said.

"Good choice: remember, they have to share a room with me," Rodriguez reminded the rest of team.

"If he snores, just throw something at him," Karneering recommended.

"Please! Or we'll never get any sleep," Chandler pleaded.

"I do not snore."

"How do you know?" Ryan asked.

"I stayed awake and listened."

"Walked right into that one, Ryan," McKinnon remarked with a smile. "And, Rodriguez, everyone in a five hundred mile radius knows you snore."

"Don't go there, McKinnon," Rodriguez warned.

"This is getting interesting," Dawson said.

"McKinnon has all the good dirt on him, and he only says that when it's something big. What's the deal?"

"There is no deal," Rodriguez insisted.

"Can't be any worse than Crocker," Lucas said. "Remember when he fell asleep on the bridge during the training simulation?" he asked Tim.

"Yes, and didn't that impress the Admiral?" Tim responded. "And the other twelve members of the delegation."

"An admiral? Ouch," Karneering remarked.

"It hasn't happened again, I guarantee you that," Tim assured him. "I'm still not quite sure how we all ended up with extra detail for that one."

"It was an admiral, O'Neil. You annoy one, you all pay," Rodriguez explained. "It's a rule or something."

"That explains it."

"Anyone interested in returning?" Adamsen asked, with a yawn.

"I am," McKinnon replied.

"So am I," Lucas added, which Tim quickly echoed.

"I'm with you guys," Rodriguez put in. "Anyone else?"

"Can you fit me in?" Karneering inquired. "If I'm going to spend tomorrow looking at medical data, I need my rest."

"Sure we can," McKinnon assured him. "We'll see the rest of you later."

"You trying to stick us with the bill?" Chandler asked.

"He's quick," Rodriguez said.

"Adamsen and McKinnon already paid me," Ryan said. "And Dawson has Karneering's money."

"What about Rodriguez, O'Neil and Wolenczak?" Hallowell asked.

"I'm covering Rodriguez, since he's going to be trapped on base for a few days. You know it makes him cranky. I'm hoping it eases his pain somewhat, which is why we're covering Wolenczak, I mean, he's got to work with him, so it was only fair to do O'Neil too. Especially since we didn't have a special ceremony to welcome them to the team."

"I'll buy that," Dawson agreed.

Lucas and Tim glanced at one another, fairly certain they did not want to know if there really was a ceremony for joining the Outriggers and more than willing to settle for a free dinner in exchange.

"Let's get out of here, before they think of something else," Adamsen suggested.

"You guys okay back there?" McKinnon inquired from the front, since she was driving.

"If you hit any bumps, I don't think we'll going flying out," Karneering said dryly. "And Wolenczak and O'Neil may be a little thinner than when they started," he added, since they were seated in the middle.

"You mind taking your elbow out of my side?" Tim asked him. "Sorry," he apologized to Lucas, as he stepped on his foot.

"I think we've successfully proved that we're not supposed to have four people in the back seat," Rodriguez pronounced. "Excuse me," he told Lucas, having just elbowed him in the side of the head.

"That's fine; would you like to step on me, hit me, jab me in the side or inflict some other kind of pain?" Lucas asked Karneering. "We could just make it an even sweep here. I mean, the two up front got me while we getting this sorted out. Why should you be left out?" Adamsen had tripped him and McKinnon had accidentally hit him in the back of the head while she waiting for them to get into the jeep.

"Sarcasm does not become you, Wolenczak," McKinnon advised him.

"Can I save it for a time to be named later?" Karneering questioned. "I'm tired; I might miss and hit O'Neil again. But I don't want to miss out on my chance either."

"Sure, why not?"

"That's the right attitude to have," Rodriguez informed him.

"Just remember it could be worse," Tim told him. "We could have made you sit in someone's lap."

"You're a lot of help, Tim," Lucas observed, while the other occupants of the back seat snickered.

"Is everyone wearing a seatbelt?" McKinnon quizzed.

"There's only three back here, Commander," Rodriguez pointed out. "So one of us is not going to be wearing one. Don't get stopped."

"If everyone else is wearing one, does that mean the fine goes to the person not wearing one?" Adamsen queried.

"With my luck, yes," Lucas replied.

"I think someone's getting kind of cranky," Karneering noted.

"It certainly sounds that way," Rodriguez agreed. "You need to stop being so pessimistic, Wolenczak."

"Look on the bright side, it could be hurricane season," Tim offered.

"I've already been through one, that was enough," Lucas reminded him sharply.

"I sense a story here, guys," Adamsen said, turning her head to look at the back seat. "And we all like a good story."

"It was nothing," Lucas evaded.

"We were in the Bermuda Triangle at the time," Tim filled in.

Rodriguez started laughing, to the surprise of Lucas and Tim.

"Just ignore him," McKinnon advised. "Just out of curiosity, was that Hurricane Sheila?"

"Yes," Tim responded.

Rodriguez laughed again. "I'm sorry, but it's funny, and somewhat ironic, when you think about it."

"Perhaps you could connect the dots for us," Lucas suggested.

"We were within an hour of being deployed to look for you when you were rescued," McKinnon clarified.

"Some would say that it's a sign you were destined to meet us some time, Wolenczak," Rodriguez pointed out.

"I wish he had left me out of his destiny," Tim interjected.

 

"Captain, you couldn't have known this was going to happen," Ford said, as the two sat in the wardroom, reviewing what information they did have on Tarsinia. It was sparse and both were trying to avoid saying what they were thinking. This was the kind of project they normally would have given to Lucas and would have been able to count on him turning up some kind of information. Ford knew Bridger was trying to focus on the task at hand, but that he was constantly reminded of their missing crew members.

"I'm supposed to know what's going on with my crew, Commander," Bridger sighed. "I've now managed to lose my communications officer and, as Dr. Westphalen has put it, a sixteen-year-old boy. Not only do I not know where they are, I have to live with the image that they are on some kind of assignment with a group that has been said to be rather reckless."

"Unorthodox," Ford corrected softly. "Not reckless."

Bridger looked at his XO. "You know something I don't?"

"I took the liberty of contacting a friend of mine, sir," Ford acknowledged. "She has access to personnel records."

Bridger raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"The idea of either one of them being in that kind of situation concerns me too," Ford admitted. "I figured I could at least find out a little bit more on the people they're working with."

"Is that legal?"

"We were having a general conversation, sir. Two old friends catching up on old times," Ford hedged a little. "It's not like she downloaded the file to me."

"I don't think you had better give me any more details on how you got your information, Commander," Bridger advised.

"Anyway, according to her personnel profile, McKinnon is very good at her job. Her unit has the best record of any of the Outrigger units and it's due, in large part, to her leadership. She does use unorthodox methods, but it's usually to offer her team as much protection as possible."

"Well, that's some comfort. However, I'll feel much better when they're both back on the boat."

 

"Listen, you guys decide what bunks you want; I'll take whatever's left," Rodriguez offered. "I need to talk to McKinnon for a minute," he added, when they had arrived back at their room.

"We'll take the bunk beds; you can have the single," Tim suggested.

"Okay. I won't be too long."

"This day has taken on a very surreal quality, Tim," Lucas remarked, when Rodriguez had left the room.

"No kidding. Now that we have a moment, shall we look at what we brought with us?" Tim asked, picking up his bag, "since we didn't have time to even look before we left."

"I guess it might be nice to know," Lucas agreed.

"Gee, I guess they don't wear the jumpsuits all the time," he commented, finding a pair of jeans and several blue tee shirts inside.

"Guess that's to blend in a little better. I think four of us out on the town in uniform might spark a little attention, even if there are other military members on the island." Tim inspected the contents of his bag closely. "I guess we should be glad we're with Outrigger Blue; we could have to wear orange shirts."

"I guess these are for the real casual days," Lucas added, pulling out a pair of sweatpants. "I'm going to get more comfortable and see if the shower works."

"Good idea."

 

"Mind if I visit?" Rodriguez inquired, when McKinnon opened her door.

"Anything in particular, or is this just a social call?" she requested, stepping aside so he could come inside the room.

"Yes."

"Come again?"

"Well, it's been a busy day."

"I know and tomorrow is going to be worse," McKinnon hinted.

"You're going to make me say it, aren't you?" he sighed.

"Say what?"

"I just thought Wolenczak and O'Neil might like a little time to talk to each other privately. Since we got the call, they haven't had any time without one of us present."

"Rodriguez, are you getting sensitive?" she teased.

"I can't help it," he mumbled. "I mean, two days ago, they'd only heard stories about us. Now they have trust us. It's a lot to take in."

"You can't hide it, Rodriguez; you are basically a nice guy."

"Yeah, well, I wanted to talk to you about the snoring comment anyway."

"Don't worry about it; I was just testing a theory."

"Testing a theory?"

"Yes."

"Going to share that theory with me? After all, I was the one in the line of fire."

"I'll explain later."

"I hate it when you do that."

"That's why I do it."

"Somehow I already figured that part out."

"Some time tomorrow, I'm going to take Wolenczak out and get him comfortable with the IM2000," McKinnon advised him.

"Thought Ryan was going to handle that."

"I'll have her go over it with O'Neil. They're going to be out and about tomorrow. I don't think we want to wait until the last minute to get Wolenczak familiar with the weapon. O'Neil's qualified; he has to be, although he probably needs some practice. I don't see him using a gun a lot as communications officer," McKinnon explained.

"I can take him out."

"Rodriguez, the thought of allowing the two of you on the range with weapons, after you spend the better part of the day together, terrifies me."

"What are you implying, Commander?"

"I'm not implying anything, just observing that the two of you really like to annoy one another, which is not a bad thing. But I think I'll handle the weapons training."

"I wouldn't shoot him!"

"Yeah, but he might shoot you."

"You better take both to the jump site," Rodriguez recommended. "Even if we tandem jump, they need to get the feel of it. And you know that, eight out of ten times, we end up jumping into the field."

"I know. Probably do that tomorrow evening, since, if we're going to go in that way, we'll have to do it at dark. If we start early evening; they'll be able to see the field, then ease them into darkness."

 

"So, you want to talk about it?" Tim asked Lucas, when both had changed into sweats and were sitting on the lower bunk.

"I don't even know where to start," Lucas sighed.

"You going to tell them you're afraid of heights?" Tim inquired.

"I don't know. I'm going to cross that bridge when I come to it. Somehow, I don't see it being an important detail to them in the greater scheme of things."

"Lucas, if we have to jump out of a plane, even with a partner, I think they're going to notice. You hyperventilated while standing on a ladder," Tim pointed out. "That was only about ten feet off the ground."

"I know, I know. But, if we have to jump, my fear of heights isn't going to stop it from happening. Besides, that's not really my biggest concern at the moment."

Tim knew what Lucas was talking about. "The armament clause."

"I've never been real keen on weapons. Now I have to carry one. Doesn't that give a good indication of what kind of situation these people go into on a regular basis?"

"I know. I have a feeling it goes a long way to explaining all the rumors that circle around them. But it's going to be okay, Lucas. You have to believe that. We've been through danger on seaQuest and it's worked out." Tim spoke with more conviction than he felt. However, as the older of the two, he figured he needed to be positive.

"I hope you're right."

 

"I'll see you later, McKinnon," Rodriguez said, checking the time.

"Okay. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day."

"Life is never dull, is it?"

"Not at times like this," McKinnon agreed, walking him to the door.

 

"You're afraid of heights, yet you like the top bunk; that's kind of strange, Lucas," Tim pointed out.

"I don't know why, Tim," Lucas said, as he climbed on to the top. "I'm not going to get hurt if I fall out."

"I don't know; this floor is pretty hard."

"You know what I mean."

"This mattress is worse than the one I just left," Tim complained, settling in his own bed.

"They don't waste a lot of expense on extras," Rodriguez said, entering the room. "I'll be right back; I want to try to get a shower in before the others get back, which will be any minute now."

"At least you can let him get the lights," Lucas pointed out to Tim, as Rodriguez left again.

"That is one nice thing about an extra roommate," Tim agreed, rolling over. "I wonder how old these things are," he mused.

"I think that's one question we don't want answered."

"You have a point."

"I still can't believe we're here," Lucas remarked, adjusting his position again.

"I can't either," Tim told him. "I mean, the odds of this happening were not high."

"More to the point, how did we get so lucky?"

"If I knew, I'd do my best to make sure it never happened again."

"Look on the bright side," Lucas suggested.

"What bright side?"

"The chances of the captain ever allowing us to go on a temporary duty assignment are drastically reduced by this."

"You're probably right." Tim was silent for a moment, thinking about Bridger and the rest of the seaQuest crew. "He's going to blame himself, you know."

"It wasn't his fault."

"As captain, he'll feel that he should have asked more questions about the assignment. He'll think there's some way he could have prevented it."

"I think this was above his head."

"He's feels responsible for the entire crew, Lucas," Tim stated.

"I know. I guess we'll just have to make sure that everything works out all right, so he won't be too hard on himself."

"You got that right," Tim agreed.

Lucas turned over on his back. "It looks like they had to replace the ceiling," he commented, changing the subject. For the moment, he just wanted to forget any of this was happening and pretend he was just enjoying some time off.

"I don't want to know why."

"It collapsed about four years ago," Rodriguez informed them, having returned from his shower. "If you're lucky it won't happen again. Ready for lights out?" he questioned.

"Go ahead."

"What time are we getting up in the morning?" Lucas asked, hearing Rodriguez get settled into his own bunk.

"Oh-five-hundred," he groaned. "McKinnon likes to get an early start."

"Not a morning person, are you?" Tim commented.

"Not really."

The trio was silent for several minutes. "Now I remember why I never liked having roommates," Rodriguez remarked.

"Any particular reason or were you just making conversation?" Lucas asked, when he didn't continue. "Tim!" he hissed, because Tim had kicked the bottom of his bed.

"What?" Tim feigned innocence.

"Because we all lie here, trying to be quiet, unable to get comfortable, worried that we might be disturbing someone else," Rodriguez explained.

"I didn't know you cared." Lucas's comment earned him another kick from below.

"We better get some sleep before O'Neil knocks you out of that bed," Rodriguez suggested.

*

 

The sound of the alarm ringing came all too soon, particularly for Lucas and Tim, who had discovered that Rodriguez did, indeed, snore. Lucas was barely awake when he heard the crash.

"What was that?!" he exclaimed.

"Ouch!" Tim cried, sitting up abruptly and hitting his head on the bottom of Lucas's bunk. Then he spotted the alarm clock, lying in pieces, by the door.

"Sorry," Rodriguez apologized with a quick shrug. "It's a habit."

"You might have warned us," Lucas said.

"Didn't think about it," he confessed. "Wear the jeans and T-shirts today," he instructed, watching as the two moved with more energy than he felt. "They're less conspicuous than the regular uniforms and you will definitely be out and about today," he told Tim.

"We're up!" he yelled, when someone knocked on the door.

"Come on, I think you need your daily coffee fix," Lucas prodded him.

It only took the three about fifteen minutes to get ready.

"Okay, let's go see what kind of poison they've cooked up this time," Rodriguez griped, as they left their room.

"Nice to see you looking so chipper this morning, Rodriguez," McKinnon greeted, when they found her waiting in the hall. "Breakfast is in the room where we were yesterday. I'm just waiting to tell the others."

"No wonder we had to get up so early; they didn't want us to fully identify what we're eating," Ryan groused ten minutes later.

"Are the eggs supposed to be liquid?" Chandler asked.

"Can we just eat, instead of analyzing it?" Adamsen inquired, "because I don't want to think about it."

"Rodriguez, was that your alarm I heard this morning?" Hallowell asked.

"It was a reflex."

"Just don't hit one of your roommates with it," Karneering requested. "I don't want to be treating any head wounds before we break camp."

"But after you don't mind?" Ryan questioned.

"If you're all done, let's get organized," McKinnon interrupted. "I've got someone for you four to talk to," she continued pointing at Tim, Ryan, Adamsen and Hallowell. "Hopefully, they can steer you to some other information. Karneering, the medical lab here has the information you need. And Chandler and Dawson, you know where to go. You two," she nodded at Lucas and Rodriguez, "hang on a second, while I get them on the road. Then we'll go over what kind of information we need to find."

 

"Okay, who wants to drive?" Ryan asked, thirty minutes later, when she, Tim, Adamsen and Hallowell were ready to leave.

"Well, you have to navigate," Adamsen reminded her.

"And I think we know better than to let Columbus drive," she added with a nod to Hallowell.

"It was the navigator, not the driver," Hallowell protested. "And we don't want you driving. You have a little problem with concentration on the road. What about O'Neil?"

"Good idea," Ryan agreed.

"If you're sure," Tim said. He wondered briefly if he should tell them precisely how long it had been since he had last driven a car.

"Why not? If something goes wrong we can blame the rookie."

"Gee, thanks," Tim told her, as they got settled in the jeep.

"So, anyone want to explain who this person is again?" Hallowell asked.

"It's a friend of a friend of Nickson's father. Nickson is on the support staff of Outrigger Red," Ryan explained. "He isn't Tarsinian, but visited there for a while. Not real sure how that worked. Anyway, Ice is hoping he'll be able to connect us up with some of the Tarsinians that have moved here."

"Who is Ice?" Tim inquired.

"Sorry. Ice is what we call McKinnon when we're in the field," Ryan explained. "Long story, but if you get her angry, you'll see why. We all have field names."

"Why?"

"Several reasons," Ryan hedged. "Mainly it's just something that developed from being together. It makes it easier to dispense with rank on assignment. In our unit, if someone yells 'Lieutenant!', at least half the people turn. And there was a brief period when we had two people with the same last name. And it just sets the tone for us; we use the names strictly in the field."

"Besides, most of the names are a result of some personality quirk or event," Adamsen filled in. "It's part of what makes us unique."

"So why Columbus?"

"Because we let him navigate one time. We had a meeting; he swore we were in the right place. Turns out he was many, many, many miles off," Adamsen answered with a laugh.

"Listen, Brook," Hallowell threatened.

"That's as in babbling brook," Ryan explicated.

"What's yours?"

"Sunshine," she admitted. "Well, it's actually Little Miss Merry Sunshine, but they shortened it."

"Uh, O'Neil, there is a speed limit on this highway," Hallowell commented.

"Sorry," O'Neil apologized, checking his speed and realizing that he was going kind of fast.

"Perhaps we should have considered the fact that O'Neil spends most of his time under the water and that it's probably been some time since he drove on dry land," Adamsen observed.

"If you get a ticket, Ice is not going to be amused," Ryan added.

"I'll tell her it was your fault."

"The frightening thing is she'd believe him."

 

"Okay, Rodriguez, I want you to gather the personnel information on the team the UEO sent in. We need to know whom we're rescuing. Their names should be included in the information we received in the initial briefing. Wolenczak, we need to know anything and everything you can locate on Tarsinia, that includes maps, cultural information, history, plant life, animal, religious beliefs: anything that will give us an edge," McKinnon instructed. They had gone to the room next to the one they had used for breakfast. The room housed several computers, attached to various databases.

"Do you have any parameters you want me to follow to get this information?" Lucas questioned.

"If you get caught, we'll chalk it up to national security."

"I'll take that to mean I have a lot of latitude, then."

"How come he gets the fun stuff?" Rodriguez complained. "Personnel searches are boring, except when they have good psych evals. In which case, they probably weren't assigned to the Tarsinian delegation."

"Just ignore him; he'll stop whining in a minute," McKinnon recommended to Lucas. "I have check in with Sullivan and see what's going on. Wolenczak?" "Yes?"

"After lunch I'm going to take you over to the firing range and let you get comfortable with the IM2000. It's a special gun we use when we just want to immobilize our target."

"All right." Lucas wondered if he sounded as uncomfortable as he felt about the idea.

"Okay, I'll let you two get to work then. I'll be back, as soon as I finish talking to Sullivan, and see if I can help you out with anything."

"Relax," Rodriguez told him. "It's pretty easy to use and she'll make sure you're comfortable with it."

"That's a scary thought," Lucas commented, sitting down at a terminal.

"So, how are you going to get the information?" Rodriguez asked.

"First, I'll check all the standard databases for the subject of Tarsinia and see what pops up. Then I'll run a cross-reference asking for any information that mentions Tarsinia or a derivative of the word. That will give me anything official that's had anything remotely to do with the island or its people. After that, we review the information to see what other topics we might try," Lucas explained, his mind already working on the problem. "Finally, we'll see if we can find any backdoor information."

"Backdoor?"

"Stuff they've tried to bury. If it's on the system, it's not buried; you just have to know where to look."

 

McKinnon stood in front of the vid-screen, waiting for Captain Sullivan to appear on screen.

"Captain Sullivan," she greeted him, with a quick salute.

"Take a seat, Commander," he ordered. "I assume you had a good trip."

"Yes, sir."

"O'Neil and Wolenczak settling in?"

"Yes. How did Captain Bridger take the news?" she inquired.

"Not very well, I'm afraid," Sullivan admitted.

McKinnon nodded her head, not surprised by the news. She did not comment, since she knew how she would react if someone from her crew had been deployed without her knowledge beforehand.

"How else is the UEO responding to the hostage situation?" she asked.

"What do you mean, Commander?"

McKinnon gave him an even look. He had just admitted that the UEO had something else planned. First, experience had taught her that they usually had another plan of action, in case the primary one failed. Second, once the initial formalities of a meeting were observed, he only used her rank when he was trying to evade her questions.

"HQ always has a back up plan," she stated.

"In the interests of providing some cover for your operation," Sullivan started, "the UEO has dispatched a team to handle the negotiations, should the Tarsinians indicate a willingness to do so. Command believes that this will make the Tarsinians less suspicious."

McKinnon mentally rolled her eyes and reminded herself that she was talking to a superior officer.

"With all due respect, sir, I do not think HQ made this decision for our interests alone. They want to make sure they have the bases covered. Who is being sent?"

"That's not important."

"Yes, it is, Captain," McKinnon said tersely. "It's another variable to be considered. I will not repeat the situation in London."

"Commander, I assure you that the situation is no where similar to the London assignment."

McKinnon stood up. "Given that your team in London almost got my unit killed, I'm not willing to take that chance. Who is being sent?" she demanded. McKinnon knew he was trying to withhold information, which made her even more curious.

"It has nothing to do with your assignment, Commander."

"Captain, anything that might even remotely affect my crew or their ability to perform their duties has something to do with this assignment." McKinnon's voice had a hard edge in it. "That includes knowing who it is you have handling negotiations. The fact that you're so reluctant to tell me indicates that I'm probably not going to like what you have to say."

"Because of the protocol requirements of the Tarsinians, the Secretary-General ordered seaQuest to proceed as the UEO representative."

McKinnon briefly considered how much trouble she would get in for cursing at a senior officer, but refrained. She had a feeling she was going to need to reserve that action for a later time in the mission.

"I assume that you did not tell seaQuest where O'Neil and Wolenczak are currently located? Or that any type of rescue is to be attempted."

"Of course not. That information is classified and Bridger understands how the chain of command works."

McKinnon nodded her head. She thought it was more likely they had made sure the man could not find the information.

"You want me to handle your negotiations, then I'll observe your chain of command. You want me to engage in a covert rescue operation, then expect me to do what I have to do to make sure that my team is safe."

"You are not to tell O'Neil or Wolenczak this information."

"Outrigger policy is to only release information that is pertinent to the integrity of the mission," she quoted. McKinnon knew Sullivan well enough to be confident that he would not question her.

"Very good, Commander. Now, how soon will you have a plan in place?"

"We're still gathering information." McKinnon allowed him to draw her into a discussion of the more mundane aspects of planning.

 

Lucas stared at the screen in frustration; so far, he had found very little information on Tarsinia. The only thing in the official records that dealt with the island as it had been seventy-five years ago. They were going to need more current information than that for this assignment. Nothing remained static and, in seventy-five years, he was willing to bet Tarsinia had changed.

"How's it going?" Rodriguez asked, smiling when Lucas jumped again. He knew he should not enjoy startling him, but he did.

"One of these days you're going to give someone a heart attack, Ghost," McKinnon told him, having just returned to the room.

"Ghost?" Lucas repeated.

"I'll explain later," Rodriguez mumbled. He studied McKinnon for a minute. "Something wrong?" he questioned. He recognized the look. "You look a little irritated."

"You know me; I get peeved every time I have to deal with HQ."

"Sounds ominous."

"Well, I have some news."

"Good or bad?"

"Haven't decided."

"Want me to go somewhere else?" Lucas asked, looking from one to the other, sensing there was more to the conversation than the words being spoke out loud.

"No, you're part of the team," McKinnon told him. "We don't keep secrets. At least, none relating to a mission."

"Any new information?" Rodriguez quizzed.

"You could say that," she agreed. "I just found out that the UEO is sending a team to negotiate for the release of the hostages."

"Why?" Lucas inquired.

"They're argument is that it's to provide us with cover: that Tarsinia won't expect a rescue attempt if they are conducting negotiations."

"Who?" Rodriguez asked.

"That's the fun part," she commented. "They're sending in the seaQuest."

"SeaQuest?" Lucas repeated.

"Yes."

"Why them?"

"It has to do with showing respect to the Tarsinians," she replied. "The seaQuest has not been informed about there being any rescue attempt planned."

"I'm surprised Sullivan authorized you to release this information," Rodriguez stated.

"Commander, you know that I'm permitted to release any information that I deem pertinent to the completion of our assigned task," McKinnon quoted.

"You're walking in the gray area again, aren't you, Ice?"

"There are some who would tell you that I don't walk in the gray areas, but that I live there," she told him. "Should you talk to anyone on seaQuest before we proceed, you cannot tell them anything about what we're doing," she reminded Lucas.

"I understand that. Why don't they want to reveal to seaQuest what's going on?"

"UEO doesn't like the right hand to know what the left hand is doing," Rodriguez explained. "They think each party works better if they believe they're the only hope for a solution."

"Then why tell us about seaQuest?"

"It's a long story, but we almost got burned on a mission because they didn't exercise full disclosure. Since then, they've learned it's not wise to hide information from Ice," Rodriguez explicated. He shook his head at the memory.

"Oh."

"So what do you have so far?" McKinnon asked, changing the subject.

"Not much at the moment, I'm afraid," Lucas admitted. "I didn't expect to come up with much from the official sources."

"Don't say any more, please," McKinnon requested. "I think I'm better off not knowing nay more. Rodriguez, what do you have on the medical team?"

"They sent in twelve. Fortunately, four left two weeks into the assignment, three more shipped out about six days ago, so we only have five that are being held hostage. I'm working on profiles of all of them though."

"Do the five that are being held; I'll review the files of the seven that left," McKinnon instructed. "Hey, I have nothing to do until Wolenczak finds us some information," she explained when Rodriguez gave her a puzzled look.

"Fine with me."

 

"O'Neil, please don't take this wrong way, but what raceway did you take driver's training on?" Ryan asked, as they parked outside a house.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Tim responded.

"We'll review the finer points of defensive driving on the way back," Hallowell said.

"Paying close attention to the part about not trying to break the sound barrier on the highway?" Adamsen inquired. "It's a good thing none of us are prone to car sickness."

"Okay, gang, let's try to get serious," Ryan said, leading the way to the door.

"That's asking an awful lot," Hallowell murmured.

Ryan knocked on the door and heard the sound of someone walking toward it. "Hi, I'm Jenna Ryan; I'm looking for a Henry Lee," she said to the man that answered the door.

"Yes, yes, they told me to expect you," the man greeted them, with a smile. "I'm Henry Lee. Please come in."

"You have to take your shoes off," Adamsen reminded her, looking at the shoes lined up outside the door. "Hawaiian custom."

"I know, I know."

"Hope everyone wore clean socks," Hallowell said, kicking his off and following Tim inside.

"Can I get you a drink?" Henry Lee asked, once they were all inside.

"No, thank you," Ryan told him. "This is Sara Adamsen, Phil Hallowell and Tim O'Neil."

"Very nice to meet you; please have a seat." All four sat on the couch, looking around the room. It was small and cluttered; there were obvious signs that Henry Lee was not the only occupant of the house. There were several toys piled in the corner and some women's shoes under one chair. "My daughter's family lives with me," Henry explained. "Now, how may I help you?"

"We were told that you've spent some time in Tarsinia," Ryan replied, having been elected to take the lead at this point. "They have been making some overtures about joining the UEO; we're part of a team collecting information on the culture and customs, prior to the beginning of negotiations, so that we will not offend anyone."

"I do not know much; I was an outsider during my time there."

"We know that there are some Tarsinians that live here. We hoped you might be able to introduce us," Adamsen explained.

"I do know one or two that have come here. They might be interested in talking to you, although they were not very happy on the island, so I do not know if they will be impartial."

"We're just on a scouting expedition," Ryan told him. "Any information will be helpful. Right now, we're flying blind."

"Well, they are both at work right now. I will call and leave them a message; they only work half day today. Then I will answer what questions you have while we wait."

 

"Wolenczak, it's lunch time." Rodriguez spoke directly into Lucas's ear, since he had been unable to get a response out of him.

Lucas jumped, wishing Rodriguez would stop doing that to him. "Just a second," he mumbled, typing something onto the keyboard.

Rodriguez nodded and walked back to McKinnon. "He says just a second," he relayed.

McKinnon checked the time. "Wolenczak!" she yelled. When he turned to face her, she continued. "What would happen if I had Ghost here cut power to your station?" she asked.

"It depends," he answered, puzzled. "Why?"

"Because if you don't stop working and come over here and eat, I'm going to do it!" she warned.

"Just a-"

"Don't say it!" McKinnon ordered. "You've told us 'just a second' for the past twenty minutes."

"You had better listen to her; Ice always does what she threatens. If you come over and eat, I'll explain why the names," he enticed.

Lucas sighed. "You guys are worse than Bridger," he groused, giving up reluctantly.

"I was afraid we were going to have use force," Rodriguez muttered to McKinnon, as the teenager walked over to where they had lunch spread out.

"I figured threatening his computer was more effective," McKinnon murmured back. "He's worse than you are."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he demanded.

"I do recall having Einstein threaten to declare you medically unfit if you did not stop working and go to bed, on more than one occasion," she reminded him.

"Okay, okay, I'm here," Lucas grumbled, sitting down.

"So gracious."

"Why did she call you Ghost?" Lucas questioned Rodriguez, accepting a sandwich and a soda from McKinnon.

"We use nicknames in the field," Rodriguez explained.

"Why?"

"A lot of reasons. It's a good way to identify one another: beats having to use ranks, and it's part of our charm."

"Charm? That's not the word I would have chosen."

"The unit gets to pick the nickname. It's meant in fun, not cruelty," he continued, ignoring Lucas's comment.

"We also use the nicknames as a protective device," McKinnon added. At his look, she explained. "Some missions are more dangerous than others. Using the nicknames let's us keep our identities from being revealed in case something goes wrong."

Lucas decided he probably would have liked it better if she had stopped before adding that piece of information. He appreciated her honesty, but he knew he could have gone the whole day without facing that particular reality.

"Why Ghost?"

"Because he's always sneaking up behind people and scaring them."

"You mean it's not just me?"

"You thought you were special?" Rodriguez asked him. "We call her, Ice. And you don't ever want to witness why in action," he added. "Chandler's Irish."

"As in luck of," McKinnon completed for him. "Karneering: we just call him Einstein."

"Why?"

"He likes to remind us he's more than just an Outrigger; he has a medical degree, too."

"You spend enough time with us, you'll understand them. They all make sense, after a fashion," Rodriguez concluded, after they had told him the other names.

"Quite frankly, I don't want the chance to get to know you that well."

"I'm crushed," Rodriguez told him.

"All right, you finished?" McKinnon asked Lucas.

"Yeah."

"Okay. I'm going to take him to the range," she informed Rodriguez. "Keep working on the profiles and check with Irish and Casanova: see how the supplies are going."

"Why me?" he inquired. "You know they're only going to complain about the fact it's really hard to get ready without a plan in place."

"It's one of the joys of being second in command."

 

"The Tarsinian language is very much like Spanish," Liana Castilles explained to Tim and Adamsen patiently. While they were talking to her about the language, Ryan and Hallowell were getting information from her sister, Alicia. Henry Lee was busy going between the two groups, offering refreshments. "The biggest problem is the accents, because different words look alike, but sound differently and can get you in trouble. Protocol is very strict, particularly in the political circles."

"Why did you leave?" Adamsen asked.

"Our parents repeatedly spoke out against the current government. When they died, my grandfather sent us here, fearing the government would exact retribution for their actions."

"Do you want to go back?"

"Not as things are now. The government is corrupt and the only opposition to them, the Nationalists, are no better."

"So what kinds of things should we watch out for?" Tim asked, getting back to the language lesson.

"You don't want to say anything they might take as insulting. When dealing with politicians, everything must be considered. Even actions we might not find offensive, they will. They are very sensitive. Say the wrong thing and they will walk out. If they don't like your attire, they will insist you leave and refuse to speak with you again."

"Great," Adamsen sighed. "So we're facing a virtually impossible task, if we want to communicate with them. There's no way to learn the entire protocol."

"Basically, no. Any one you meet, like me, is not going to know every detail. If we did, we probably would not have left."

Tim wondered how they were going get around to learning some of the key phrases, since he had yet to figure out a way to bring that into casual conversation. McKinnon had explained that the crew did not need to know a lot, but they needed some phrases, just in case.

"Do they speak English at all?"

"Of course; it's the standard language these days. But, for diplomatic arrangements, they will insist on using Tarsinian. For them it is a matter of pride. The UEO must negotiate on their terms."

"What's the worse that can happen?" he inquired. "If they are completely and totally insulted."

"They will walk out and announce that you have dishonored them and their people. And they will probably issue a bounty on the heads of the people conducting the negotiations. If the UEO refuses to respond, they will declare war."

"Lovely," Adamsen said.

"It is an isolated nation, not backward. Do not under estimate the power of their technology."

 

"Okay, this is an IM2000," McKinnon said, handing it to Lucas. It resembled a regular gun. "It will only immobilize the target, any where from twenty minutes to twelve hours. It was specially designed for the Outriggers. We like to accomplish our missions without loss of life whenever possible. This allows us to do so. We try to act when we know we won't encounter opposition, but there are no guarantees, so we have to be prepared."

Lucas held the gun somewhat reluctantly. It was compact and lightweight. He turned it over in his hand, trying to remain impartial and focused on McKinnon's words.

"It does resemble a normal weapon, which is why we use it. Most people have no desire to get shot, so it works as a deterrent. However, it is important to understand that, if you have to draw, you better had be prepared to shoot it." Lucas nodded his comprehension, even the thought made him slightly nauseous. "It is also designed to shoot live ammunition, but you don't have to worry about that."

"That's comforting."

"We honestly do not draw our weapons very often, but we have to be prepared to do so. First, I'm going to demonstrate precisely how this operates, because I want you to understand it before you have to shoot it." McKinnon also figured running through the mechanics would help him adjust to the whole idea.

Twenty minutes later, Lucas found himself standing in front of a screen, which showed a target. McKinnon stood behind him, offering advice and correcting his stance. He still felt highly uncomfortable with the whole concept. However, he had proven to be an adept shot, hitting his target with accuracy.

"What now?" he asked.

"Going to run a moving simulation. You want to shoot the targets with the X's on them. The others are civilians; we don't want to shoot the civilians," McKinnon instructed.

It took fifteen minutes for the simulation to run, which Lucas found much more difficult than just shooting at the target he had started on.

McKinnon looked at him. "You cannot hesitate, Wolenczak," she said firmly, "because, not only does your life depend on it, so does everyone else's on the team. I can almost guarantee the other side will be shooting real bullets. When we go into the field, you have to be prepared to shoot."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. I know we're into an area that you are not comfortable with, but I can't change the rules. There are only ten of us; we have to back each other up. I promise you, you will not kill anyone with your weapon. But you will get killed, if you hesitate and someone fires at you first."

"I understand."

"Let's try it again." McKinnon wished she could lighten the mood, but she knew this was not the time or place for levity.

 

"Okay, Indy, try to keep us no more than thirty miles over the posted limit," Ryan said, as they left Henry Lee's house, having made arrangements for Tim and Adamsen to meet with Liana the following day for more language lessons, while Alicia was going to take the Ryan and Hallowell to meet with some other Tarsinians living on Hawaii.

"Indy?" Hallowell inquired.

"Yeah, you know, the Indianapolis 500: used to be a big race in the United States. I'm guessing he learned to drive from watching old videos."

"If anyone else wants to drive, they're more than welcome to," Tim informed them.

"We're Outriggers; we like to live life dangerously," Adamsen said.

"Besides, what else are we going to give you a hard time about?" Hallowell asked him.

"You say that now, but you get to ride up front with him," Ryan instructed, as Hallowell made for the backseat.

"Why?"

"I already had the up close and personal view. I can navigate from the back."

"I suppose if I refuse, you'll pull rank?"

"Naturally. It has to be good for something."

"Why can't Adamsen do it?"

"She'll get her turn tomorrow."

"Gee, I can hardly wait."

"Pull over here, O'Neil. I want to call McKinnon: see if there's anything else we have to do before we head back," Ryan instructed Tim five minutes after they had left Henry Lee's. "You guys can admire the ocean. I don't want her to hear our screams of terror while we're on the road."

 

"Yeah, what do you want?" Rodriguez asked when the comm unit beeped.

"Gee, that's professional, Ghost," Ryan told him. "Where's Ice?"

"Showing Wolenczak the finer points of shooting. She should be back soon."

"I was just checking in; we're on our way back. Have her call if she wants us to do anything else before we arrive back."

"Hang on; they're coming back now. Both are still standing, so I guess everything went all right." Rodriguez waved McKinnon over. "It's Sunshine, checking in."

"What do you need?" McKinnon asked, while Rodriguez wandered over to speak to Lucas, who had gone right back to his computer.

"How did it go?" he asked.

"All right," Lucas answered tersely.

Rodriguez looked at him for a moment, noting that he was practically pounding on the keyboard. He debated whether or not to comment further, finally opting not to pursue the subject. "Can I do anything?" he inquired. "I'm done with the profiles for Ice."

"Watch this and let me know if it stops running,"

Lucas told him, pointing to the screen. "If it stops, then it's found something we need to check."

"I can handle that. What are you going to do?"

"Work over there: see if I can't trace the hardware."

"Hardware?"

"Every nation on this planet has computers. If I can find out where the Tarsinians got theirs, I might be able to get into their own systems for information. If nothing else, it will tell us about their technology."

"Really?"

"Trust me, I'm a hacker; I live for this stuff." Lucas settled himself in front of another computer and started working, tuning everything out.

"How did it go?" Rodriguez asked McKinnon, who had joined him.

"If he doesn't think about it, he's good," she replied, keeping her voice low. "He's got accuracy. His score was about thirty points higher than most first timers. But he's never going to be a professional."

"That's not a bad thing."

"I know. He's not comfortable with it; when he allows himself to think about it, he hesitates."

"Think positively; if we have to draw weapons on Tarsinia, we won't have time to think."

"Don't give him a hard time on this one."

"You know me better than that, Ice. The profiles are ready for you to review."

"Anything interesting?"

"Not really, but I haven't gone over them thoroughly."

"Then I'll take a look. So what are you doing?"

"Watching the computer for Wolenczak. I'm supposed to let him know if it stops."

"Then I'll leave you to it."

 

"Wolenczak, it's stopped," Rodriguez called a few minutes later.

"Be right there."

"What is it?" Rodriguez asked impatiently.

"UEO survey data," Lucas replied absently, typing in codes.

"It says it's classified."

"Then I guess I better not let them know I'm looking at it," Lucas told him. "Commander," he was not quite ready to use her nickname, "would a map of the island be useful?"

"If it's recent, yes. Why?"

"Well there's a cross reference here that indicates someone did a survey of the island. Should be a map. I'll know more when I get the file."

"That doesn't sound encouraging," Rodriguez told him as an alarm sounded.

"Standard codes aren't working," Lucas mumbled. "Have to try something different."

"Such as?"

"Backdoor."

"How?"

Lucas remained silent, his attention focused on the screen. It took Rodriguez a moment to realize that he hadn't heard his question. Lucas continued typing, moving from screen to screen without stopping. His mind was working about three steps faster than his fingers.

"What's going on over there, Ghost?" McKinnon asked. "I'm not sure, but I think this is one of those times that you don't want to know to know precise details. Why?"

"It seemed awfully quiet over there."

"Time me," Lucas ordered Rodriguez. "Let me know when we approach five minutes."

"Why?"

"That's how long the window is open."

"What window?"

"After five minutes, their security will realize that we're downloading restricted information and will start tracing our signal. I think we'll have it before then. If not, I'll have to reroute our signal more, while they look for us. Actually, have McKinnon time, I need you to watch the screen." Lucas pointed to a map he had brought up in the corner of the screen. "See how the dots are connected by the blue lines? That's us. Let me know if it's started being traced in red. That will let us know when they start tracking. If I catch it before they actually locate us, I can reroute their search. That way they won't know where to find us."

"You heard him, Ice," Rodriguez said.

"Time?" Lucas inquired moments later, watching the download.

"Three minutes." "Wolenczak, I'm seeing red here," Rodriguez informed him a moment later.

"Guess they're moving faster these days," he remarked. Lucas started typing quickly. Rodriguez stared at the screen, seeing the lines grow more confused as Lucas entered commands. "Okay, let me shut it down," Lucas mumbled, exiting quickly, when he noticed the download had finished. "Their employees are going to have fun in a few hours."

"Why?" McKinnon asked. "Or should I not ask that question?"

"I had to send the signal somewhere, so I put it back in their building."

"So they'll think one of their own people was downloading the file."

"They're in for a long night of questioning, because, in denying it, their security will think someone's up to something improper."

"Nice work, Slick," Rodriguez told him.

"Does this mean you think I know what I'm doing after all?"

"I never said you didn't," he protested.

"You didn't have to," Lucas informed him. "I could see it when we first met. Everyone thinks the same thing when they meet me. Even on seaQuest they didn't believe it at first."

"You have to admit, you're a little young."

"I can't help that," Lucas pointed out. "Okay, let's see what we have," he added, scanning the file before he opened it.

"I'll second that," McKinnon encouraged him. "We could use a break about now," she added, walking over to join them.

"Two years old," Lucas noted. "Here, I'll let you look at it; I want to see if there's any records from the crew that went."

"Don't get too engrossed," McKinnon advised. "We have to take you guys out to the jump pad when the others get back."

"Jump pad?" Lucas repeated nervously.

"We thought it might be best if your first jump did not come on the actual rescue itself," Rodriguez clarified, "therefore we're going to take you to the Tower: let you get a feel for it."

Lucas wondered if he looked as ill as he felt at the thought. He hoped this was the last activity they had planned. Having had the shooting lesson, he was not sure he was ready to face his height phobia just yet.

 

"Well, we made it back in one piece," Ryan said, as Tim parked the car.

"Only because traffic slowed us down," Hallowell interjected. "I'm guessing you're in communications because they wouldn't want you piloting a shuttle craft," he added.

"I have an excellent driving record, both on land and under water," Tim informed him.

"Only because you've never been caught."

"I offered to let you one of you drive, so don't complain."

"Well, the memory had faded when we left. We weren't thinking straight," Adamsen told him.

The quartet was still discussing the subject with good-natured humor when they arrived at the computer room, them where Lucas, McKinnon and Rodriguez were working. "Hi guys," Ryan greeted cheerfully.

"So, did you learn anything useful?" McKinnon questioned, looking up from where she and Rodriguez were studying the map Lucas had found.

"Tarsinian culture is very intricate," Adamsen offered. "And we have a good chance of mortally offending them if we have to engage in conversation."

"Then we'll try to avoid talking to them."

"You want to review the specifics now?" Ryan queried.

"No, we need to go run some practice jumps. I want to start while it's light. After dinner, Brook and Columbus can fill me in, while you go qualify O'Neil on the IM2000."

"What about Wolenczak?" Ryan asked.

"I worked with him this afternoon; I think he's had enough for one day."

"I hope Indy shoots better than he drives," Hallowell whispered to Adamsen, who snickered.

"Indy?" Rodriguez repeated, having caught the comment.

"Go driving with him and all will be revealed," Ryan explained. "He likes to drive fast."

"Really fast," Adamsen corrected.

"Is this true?" McKinnon questioned Tim.

"It wasn't that fast," he protested. "They asked me to drive."

"I don't think I want the details," McKinnon told them. "Einstein, Irish and Casanova are going to meet us at the Tower, so let's go."

"Do you want me to ask him to join us or should I just go for bodily removal?" Rodriguez inquired with a nod at Lucas, who was still intently working.

"Try it the nice way first. Your friend gets very focused, doesn't he?" McKinnon directed her question at Tim.

"Yes, he does. Bridger's had to threaten him with forcible removal in the past," Tim agreed.

"Let's go, Slick," Rodriguez told Lucas. "We'll be back at it after dinner. It's not going any where."

"That time already?"

"Yep. Come on; it's going to be fun. There's nothing better than jumping off the Tower, well, except for jumping out of an airplane. It's a lot of fun."

Lucas could think of any number of things he thought would be fun, but none of them involved jumping.

"So, did you have any success?" Ryan asked McKinnon, while they waited for Lucas to exit his work.

"Slick found us a map. Two years old."

"Where at?"

"There are some things we just don't need to know, Sunshine."

"Oh, that would explain the name, would it?"

"It seemed much better than calling him B and E," Rodriguez explained, rejoining the group with Lucas. "And it was slick the way he did it."

"It was nothing," Lucas mumbled.

"I couldn't have done it."

"That doesn't necessarily mean anything," Ryan informed him.

"We going to walk?" Hallowell asked.

"Since there's seven of us and one jeep, I think so," McKinnon replied.

"Just asking."

"It's not that far."

 

Ten minutes later, Lucas and Tim stood on the ground with Karneering and Chandler, while the rest of the unit went to the top of the Tower, as it was named, to demonstrate the jumps.

"First I had to shoot, now this," Lucas mumbled.

"You going to be okay?" Tim asked softly.

"I just hope I don't get sick," Lucas confessed.

"Okay, when we jump we wear the headsets, so we can communicate with one another. Whoever hits the ground, or the water, first acts as a guide," Chandler explained to them. "There are about six channels on our sets," he added, as he showed them how to attach the transmitter to the back of their waistbands. "Channel one is an open frequency; we use it to converse with the unit as a whole. If you need to engage in a private conversation, you use one of the other channels. While there is no way to block entry into one of the other channels, we respect each other's right to privacy and just don't do it. A lot of times, when we're in the field, we use the other frequencies to avoid confusion."

"Like if I'm working with Chandler here and we need to go one way, while the rest of you are progressing in a different direction," Karneering clarified.

"Normally, we follow a set jump order," Chandler continued. "Sunshine starts it off; she's followed by Ice. We like to get the commander down early. Then it's Einstein, Columbus, Casanova, Brook, myself and Ghost goes last. That may change, since they'll probably pair you two with Sunshine and Ghost; they're the best jumpers."

"That's a comfort," Tim said.

"I think we're ready. Put your headsets on, so you can hear them," Chandler instructed, waiting for them to be set. "Okay, Sunshine, let's see what you can do," he spoke into his mike. "You'll hear Ice telling her to adjust her position on the way down; each person watches the jumper in front of them to help them find their spot. We all take different landing sites. Accuracy is not critical, but it helps to be close."

"Okay, enough chatter down there," Ryan interrupted. "I'm going." With that statement, she stepped off the platform.

"You're off to the right, Sunshine," McKinnon advised. Once Ryan was about halfway to the airbag below, McKinnon jumped.

"You're clear," Hallowell commented.

One by one, the rest jumped off, landing close to where they intended. "Okay, Sunshine and Ghost are going to take you two up, let you get some practice in, then we're going to do it as a group, so you can get a feel for how it works," McKinnon informed Lucas and Tim.

"We'll tandem the first time; the second time you'll partner. Third time we want you to solo," Ryan explained. "If we have a dry site, you will tandem with us, because that involves parachutes and more stuff than we can teach you. We go wet, you'll partner jump."

"Wet?" Tim questioned.

"Water landing."

"What's the difference between tandem and partner?" Lucas inquired.

"Tandem jump, you'll be hooked to one of us; on a partner jump we go side by side."

"Good luck," Karneering told them as they headed off to the Tower.

"It's really not that high, we make most of our jumps close to the landing site. It makes it easier to avoid detection. However, we figured you might want to practice before doing it from a helicopter," Rodriguez commented, as they rode the elevator to the top.

"We appreciate the consideration," Tim told him.

"Be glad they put this in," Ryan tapped the elevator wall. "When I trained here, they still made us walk up."

"How nice for you," Lucas remarked.

Tim thought Lucas looked extremely pale and wondered if the other two had noticed.

"Okay, I'll take Slick; you take Indy," Rodriguez instructed Ryan.

"You're going to face forward," Ryan explained to Tim as she attached the harness. "All you have to do is relax and let me do the work. We're going to fall forward, then we'll straighten back up, just so you can get the feel for that, because we will go forward on a land drop until right before we land. I will remind you, but you want to bend your knees when we hit the airbag. It will absorb the shock of the landing; you're less likely to get hurt that way."

"Okay."

"You want to guide us?" Ryan asked Rodriguez. "Ghost!" she yelled when he didn't respond. "Try to stay with us. We're going to go now; you want to guide us?"

"Just jump and we'll worry about guiding next time," Rodriguez replied. He had just realized that Lucas looked absolutely terrified.

Ryan glanced at him in surprise. "I thought-"

"Just do it this way, Sunshine," he said quietly, not wanting to explain himself.

"Okay," Ryan consented, puzzled, but willing to go along with his decision. "Ice, Indy and I are good to go; are we cleared?"

"You're clear."

"Ready?" Ryan asked O'Neil.

"I think so," he replied nervously.

"Good enough for me. I'll count to three and then we're going to do this. Just relax and let me do the work."

"No problem."

"One-two-three."

Lucas found himself unable to watch as Ryan and Tim stepped off the platform; Rodriguez kept his eyes on Lucas. "You ready?" he asked, wanting to see how Lucas was going to react.

"I 'm not sure," Lucas admitted nervously. He did not want to tell Rodriguez that he was absolutely petrified. He knew he had to do this; he just wasn't sure how he was going to manage.

Rodriguez nodded, deciding to see how far they could go with this. "All right, Slick, we're going to do the same thing," he explained.

 

"I thought you were going to go one right after the other," McKinnon commented to Ryan, as she and Tim climbed off the airbag.

"I thought so too," Ryan said. "But he didn't have Slick ready when we jumped," she added. "Nice job, Indy."

"It was better than I expected," he admitted. He wondered if he should mention to them that Lucas was afraid of heights, but he knew it would only embarrass the teenager.

 

Rodriguez unhooked the harness. "Sit down," he said, putting a hand on Lucas's shoulder and pushing him down to sit on the floor.

"I'm sorry," Lucas apologized, feeling really embarrassed.

Rodriguez dropped down beside him. "Just take it easy," he instructed softly. He had expected something like this was going to happen, once he saw how white the boy had gone, when Ryan was reviewing the procedures. "Just take some deep breaths and try to relax."

Lucas leaned against the wall and closed his eyes; he could not believe this was happening. He had known making the jump wouldn't be easy, but he had thought he could make it through it. The realization that there were eight people standing down below, waiting, only made the situation worse.

"Calm down," Rodriguez told him, still keeping his voice gentle and calm. The last thing he wanted to do was make a big deal about this and make the teenager feel bad about being afraid. "We're not going to do anything, but sit here until we can talk about this," he added. Rodriguez was not even thinking about the rest waiting below; he was focused solely on Lucas and trying to get him to a point where they could talk about it.

 

Ryan looked up at the Tower, trying to figure out why Rodriguez had not even moved into position. "Maybe I should go up and make sure he's not having equipment trouble or something," she suggested to McKinnon.

"Let me check with him," McKinnon instructed. She knew Rodriguez well enough to know there was a reason he had yet to jump. "Ghost, you there?" she asked into her headset.

"Well, you haven't seen me come down yet, have you?" Rodriguez spoke with a trace of humor.

"We're all kind of wondering about that. You two get lost?"

"Hang on a second, Ice." Rodriguez had noticed Lucas getting a little paler and realized he still had his headset on. Reaching over, he removed it. Lucas did not need to be reminded that there were still eight people down below, waiting on them. Rodriguez knew the team well enough to know they would have nothing but sympathy for his problem. However, he could see why this was an embarrassing situation for the teenager.

McKinnon waited, somewhat impatiently. She could see the rest of the crew was starting to get restless, as they realized that there was no movement on the platform. "Ghost?"

"Take a walk and go to two," he ordered quietly, deciding the entire unit did not need to hear this conversation. The rest of the unit, still wearing their headsets, heard the comment and looked at one another. They all wondered what was going on. Since it seemed unlikely anything was going to happen soon, they all slid their headsets off, leaving them dangling around their necks and sat down.

"What's wrong?" McKinnon asked, changing channels and walking away from the group.

"We have a problem," Rodriguez informed her.

"What is it?" McKinnon inquired.

"Slick's either afraid to jump or he's afraid of heights."

"What do you want to do?"

"I want you to take everyone, but Sunshine and Indy out of here," Rodriguez instructed quietly.

"You sure?"

"Ice, we're going to be up here for a little while and the last thing I need is for him to be worried about all of you waiting down there," Rodriguez explained. "I need Sunshine to spot for me and I don't see Indy leaving while his friend is up here on the platform."

"You're probably right about that. So what are you going to do?"

"I'm not sure, yet. I just know we have to go slow, otherwise we're going to make the situation worse."

"You sure you want to continue? You've only got about another hour of light," she reminded him. "Then it'll start getting dark."

"We need to do it now; if we don't, I'm not sure we'll get him back up here."

"That bad?"

"He was hyperventilating before I had the harness completely attached," Rodriguez informed her.

"Okay, let me talk to Sunshine and Indy and we'll go back to the center and go over what we know so far."

"I want them to stay on the ground. I don't need an audience up here right now either. But I would like you to ask Indy if it's the jump itself or the height."

"Hang on," McKinnon told him. "Indy!" she called.

"Next time, step away from the mike," Rodriguez said with a flash of humor.

"What is it?" Tim asked, concerned.

"Ghost says Slick is either afraid to jump or afraid of heights; he'd like to know which."

Tim looked up at the Tower, feeling a sense of guilt that he had not said anything. "Heights."

"It's the height."

"Have him switch to two," Rodriguez requested. "I think I need to know how serious of a problem it is before I figure out how we're going to get around it."

"All right, I'll tell Sunshine what' s going on and clear the rest of them out of here."

"Okay."

"All right. I'm going to let you go."

"Good luck," McKinnon told him. She moved the mike away from her mouth. "Indy, Ghost needs to talk to you on two," she instructed. "He needs to know just how scared he is up there. He wants you and Sunshine to stay, and the rest of us to go. Sunshine, I need you for a second," she called.

"What's Ghost doing up there?" Ryan asked.

"He's got a problem."

"What kind of problem?"

"Slick's not ready to jump," McKinnon explained. "He's afraid of heights."

"What does he want to do?"

"He wants the two you to stay and the rest of us to get out of here. We'll do the group jumps tomorrow. He wants to get Slick to jump without everyone watching. He may need you to spot and he figured Indy would want to stay. But he wants you on the ground. Right now, he's talking to Indy to find out just how bad it is."

"Okay."

"I'll go over what information we have with the others and make sure we save you some dinner."

"Sounds good."

McKinnon rejoined the rest of the group, removing her headset as she did walked over. "Okay, gang, we're done for the moment," she announced quickly.

"How can we be done? We still have two people on the Tower," Chandler pointed out.

"That would be why we're done," McKinnon told him. "Ghost needs us to clear out; we'll pick back up tomorrow."

"What's wrong?" Karneering asked.

McKinnon knew there was no way to avoid the issue, since they would probably figure it out on their own. "Slick's afraid of heights, so we're going to leave and let Ghost walk him through it, with Sunshine and Indy on the ground. We'll start a review of what we have, look at the map we have and see if we figure out where to proceed from here."

Without further comment, the others started gathering up their equipment. They understood why it was best to leave. If Lucas was afraid of heights, he did not need witnesses to his first jump.

 

"I'm sorry," Lucas repeated, as Rodriguez finished talking to Tim and turned his attention back to him.

Rodriguez removed his headset, setting it down next to him. "First, stop apologizing," he commanded. "There's nothing wrong with being afraid."

"I think I passed fear about ten minutes ago," Lucas remarked dryly. "I'm pretty well into absolutely petrified now."

"Now, before we go any further, I need to know something."

"What?"

"Do you want to do this? Do you want to try to work through this or should we just forget it?" Rodriguez asked seriously.

"I want to try," Lucas replied after a few minutes.

"I thought as much."

"Why?"

"Because if you weren't willing to make an attempt, you would have told us you had a problem in the first place. Instead, you tried."

"I didn't make it, did I?"

"No, you didn't," Rodriguez agreed. "But that's okay. We're a team, Slick, and part of being on the team means we help each other. So you and me, we're going to sit here and talk for a bit: see if we can't get you a little more comfortable. Then we'll try again."

"What about the others?"

"I had Ice take them away. Sunshine and Indy are waiting on the ground for us,"

"I'm sorry-."

"If you apologize one more time, I'm going to get really irritated with you," Rodriguez told him. "There's no need for you to be. Every member on this team has things they don't like to do or they're not good at; you're no different."

"What's yours?"

"I hate going to the doctor. I'll do just about anything to avoid it," Rodriguez admitted.

 

"Just how bad is his fear?" Ryan asked Tim, as they sat on the ground.

"He once hyperventilated while on a ten foot ladder," Tim confessed.

"And this didn't seem like something he should have mentioned?"

"Lucas doesn't operate that way," Tim explained. "He's not real good at asking for help."

"Why not?"

"A lot of reasons. Plus, he figured his fear of heights wasn't going to matter."

"Not matter? We don't usually like to traumatize team members. We are not heartless," Ryan told him heatedly.

"No, not like that. If the only way to get into Tarsinia is to jump, his fear can't change that, so he didn't want to bring it up," Tim clarified hastily.

 

"So how did you end up on seaQuest?" Rodriguez asked, deciding to wait a few more minutes before they started talking about trying to jump again.

"My father needed a place to dump me," Lucas replied candidly.

"Oh," Rodriguez said, wondering if he should have asked a different question.

"It's worked out though," Lucas added. "It's kind of my home now."

Rodriguez asked him a few more questions before getting back to the subject at hand. "Is your fear related to anything specific?" he inquired.

"What do you mean?"

"Did something happen in your past to make you afraid of heights, like falling out of a tree or something, or is it just there?"

"It's just there."

Rodriguez nodded; it was the answer he expected. Even if it had been a specific event, which had created the fear, he had not expected Lucas to tell him. It had not taken much for him to realize that Lucas did not like discussing much about himself beyond the surface pleasantries.

 

"What do you think they're doing up there?" Tim asked. He was concerned; they had not heard from Rodriguez in a while.

"Ghost is talking to him," Ryan responded. "Trying to figure out a way for him to get past his fear enough to take a chance. He may have an attitude some times and seem kind of hard, but he won't do anything to upset your friend," she assured him.

"Good."

"He's not going to push him to do anything Slick's not ready to handle."

"What are they doing now?" Tim asked, looking up and seeing Lucas and Rodriguez sitting on the edge of the platform.

 

"How are you doing?" Rodriguez inquired, watching his face.

"I've felt better," Lucas admitted.

"That's okay. We'll just stay here until you're ready," Rodriguez assured him. "I'm going to talk to Sunshine for a minute: see how they're doing."

"I'm not going any where."

Rodriguez gave him an encouraging smile. "You're getting your attitude back; we're making progress. Sunshine? You there?"

"Where else would I be?" Ryan asked dryly. "How you doing up there?"

"We're making progress."

"You think he'll make it?"

"No doubt about it," Rodriguez spoke with conviction. "I gave him a chance to quit. He never would have come up here if he wasn't willing to try."

"Tell him we'll stay here all night if needed."

"I don't think it will be necessary. We're just getting him adjusted to the idea at the right pace."

"I already asked that question," Ryan told him, understanding his remark. "Apparently he doesn't like to ask for help."

"I could have told you that three seconds after you guys went over."

"Ice said she'd save us some food."

"Good. I'll talk to you later."

"Take it easy, Ghost."

Rodriguez turned back to Lucas. "You want to try standing now?" he asked.

"Why not?"

"That's the spirit." Rodriguez helped him stand and positioned himself in front of Lucas, so that he was between Lucas and the edge. "You look a little green, Slick," he remarked. "You get sick up here, I'm not going to be a happy camper."

"This would be something new?" Lucas asked with a flash of humor.

"You talk a good game now; we'll see how it goes when you have to depend on me to land you safely," Rodriguez retorted. He was glad to see that the color had returned to the boy's face and he was breathing normally.

 

"Your friend has a lot of guts," Ryan told Tim.

"I know that, but why do you say so?"

"I know plenty of people that would have used this phobia to get out of this assignment."

"Lucas isn't one to give up. Or let people down."

 

"You ready?" Rodriguez asked. "Now, I'm going to give you a couple of options. We can tandem jump, just like Sunshine and Indy. We can do a partner jump, where we go side by side. Or we can do a mirrored jump."

"What's that?"

"That's where we go off the edge facing one another. You would have your back to the jump pad, so you wouldn't see the ground until we left the platform."

"Which do you recommend?"

"Doesn't matter what I think, Slick; you have to do what feels the best for you. I'm not going to make the decision for you."

"I think I want to start with the tandem."

"That's what we'll do then," Rodriguez told him. "Let me tell Sunshine," he added, replacing his headset. "Sunshine?"

"What's up?"

"We're going to give it another try now."

"Sounds good. What do you want me to do?"

"Nothing. We're going to tandem this one. Then we'll do some partner jumps when he's ready. Then I want all four of us to give it a try."

"Sounds good. I'll need to run some jumps with Indy though."

"That's okay. There's just enough daylight to get this done."

"McKinnon had the lights timed to go on in about fifteen."

"Good. I'll see you in a few."

"They're going to give it a try," Ryan told Tim.

 

"Just relax," Rodriguez instructed. "I'm not going to step off until you're ready. When I tell you, you'll want to bend your knees for the landing."

"Okay."

"You all set?"

"I think we better do this before my sanity returns."

"Well, then we have all the time in the world, don't we?"

"I appreciate your sensitivity,"

"What can I say? I'm just that kind of guy. Okay, we're going to go on three," Rodriguez told him. He could feel the tension in Lucas's body.

"One-two-three-"

"Here they come," Tim said standing up.

"You're clear," Ryan told Rodriguez.

"Okay, bend your knees," Rodriguez ordered.

Lucas felt the shock in his legs as they landed on the airbag. He waited for Rodriguez to unhook the harness.

"Nice job, Slick," Rodriguez told him.

"Almost a textbook landing," Ryan complimented, offering him a hand to the ground.

Tim smiled at him. "They'll never believe it back on seaQuest."

"So, you want to try a partner jump before we let these two have a chance to practice?" Rodriguez asked Lucas. "Or do you want to take a break?"

"I don't think it's wise to stop now," Lucas told him.

"Okay."

"We'll wait down here for you," Ryan said.

"Sounds good."

 

"I don't think this is going to cure me of my fear of heights," Lucas remarked in the elevator.

"That's okay. No one's perfect."

"That's certainly true."

"So you want to jump side by side or mirror?"

"Mirror. I'm not quite ready to look over the edge while I jump."

"That's fine."

It took them a few minutes to get ready. Lucas was not quite ready to just jump; he had to get comfortable with the idea first. "Okay."

"Then tell Sunshine," Rodriguez instructed.

"Sunshine? We're ready."

"Okay, Slick. You're clear."

"Now count it off," Rodriguez ordered. "We'll go on three."

"One-two-three-" There was a moment of disorientation as they stepped off the platform. Rodriguez tightened his grip, since they had a hold of each other's forearms, to reassure him.

"Bend your knees."

"Okay, I think I've about all the fun I want for the moment," Lucas remarked, as they got off the pad.

"Then we'll let them go," Rodriguez said with a nod at Ryan and Tim. "We'll take a breather and try it a few more times,"

 

The quartet spent another hour at the Tower. "Well, I can't say that I enjoyed it," Lucas said, as they walked back to their base of operations.

"But you did it," Ryan told him. "That's something to be proud of."

 

Everyone was in the computer room, working in groups, reviewing the information that had been found; they all waved when the four entered, but no one stopped working.

"We had sandwiches, so they should still be fresh," McKinnon greeted the quartet. "Brook and Columbus are compiling the data you guys acquired today. Irish and Casanova are looking at the map and Einstein is still reviewing medical information," she informed them.

"I'm going to go ahead and get Indy qualified when we finish with dinner," Ryan said.

"Sounds good."

Lucas was glad no one mentioned what had happened at the Tower; he was not up to discussing it. "I'll get started back on the search when I finish eating."

"All right."

 

"I assume you got him to jump?" McKinnon inquired of Rodriguez, after they had finished eating. They were standing in the corner, away from the group.

"Yes. We just had to go slow," Rodriguez replied. "And I never got him to do a solo, which isn't going to happen."

"That bad?"

"He was terrified every time we jumped. But he did it. However, it's safe to say he will not be joining a skydiving club."

"Which is he most comfortable with?" "Tough one to call, but I'd have to say the partner jump."

"Really?"

"It's the control factor, Ice," Rodriguez explained. "We tandem, he has to rely on me. If we partner, I'm there to support him, but he has more control over himself."

"I guess that makes sense," she commented. "We've studied the map pretty closely. There's really no way to avoid jumping. The remote areas are isolated because of the terrain at both water and land access points. So, let's go see where we can enter via the water."

 

"Your aim is a little off, but you'll do," Ryan told Tim, as they stood in the shooting range, practicing. While Tim had hit most of the targets, he was usually a few inches off. "These things are pretty fool proof."

"I don't get a lot of practice on seaQuest. I tend to stay on the boat when danger might be involved."

"Well, we usually avoid shooting, ourselves. But we have to stay in good form."

"I'm still picturing how Bridger would have reacted if he found out about this regulation," Tim remarked.

"I would think Sullivan would try to avoid it."

"I'm sure finding out we were deployed was bad enough, especially Lucas."

"Because of his age?" she asked. "I mean, I have a hard time remembering he's a teenager."

"It's not just that. Bridger lost his son and Lucas's parents-" Tim shook his head, like he did every time he thought about his friend's parents. "Well, things aren't great there."

"So they've adopted each other?" Ryan guessed.

"Something like that. Actually, with Lucas, we've all sort of adopted him."

 

"Any luck?" Rodriguez inquired, approaching Lucas from behind and startling him again, although, judging from the intense look on his face, Rodriguez had a feeling they could set the room on fire and Lucas wouldn't notice.

"Do you mind?" Lucas asked him.

"Not very well. Just ask any of my commanding officers, including Ice."

"Gee, that's a big surprise."

"You know, coming from a person that spent the better part of his afternoon breaking into classified files, I'm not sure you're really one to talk."

"I was just following orders."

"I must have missed the part where Ice told you to break and enter into private documents."

"She didn't say I couldn't. And they weren't private, they were UEO documents; we're UEO."

"Somehow I don't think that's a distinction anyone is going to care about if they figure out what you did." "Do you two need to be separated?" McKinnon questioned, as she joined them.

"Not yet."

"That's good. Now, have you had any luck?" she asked Lucas.

"Yes, I've located the company that originally installed the computers in the Tarsinian government."

"How does that help?"

"I can use their files to study the initial set up of the system. And probably get the access codes or at least the starting point to access the government computers."

"How come you answer the question when she asks?" Rodriguez complained.

"She outranks you," Lucas told him. "And she asked nicely."

"How much longer do you think it will take you?" McKinnon interrupted, before Rodriguez could respond.

"Not sure. It depends on how good their security is and how much they've altered things since they had their equipment installed. Probably a couple of hours."

"Okay. We're probably going to work late tonight anyway. I want to start putting together a solution by tomorrow afternoon: at least, start discussing the possibilities."

"Do you need a hand?" Rodriguez asked Lucas.

"No. I already have two of my own. I have no need for a third one."

Rodriguez groaned, while McKinnon laughed, although Rodriguez had to privately admit that he was glad Lucas was still up to giving him a hard time. It showed that he wasn't going to let what happened on the Tower embarrass him or make him uncomfortable. Rodriguez recognized it had been hard for Lucas to need help with the jump, especially from someone he did not know very well.

"Hey, Ice, we're back," Ryan said, walking up with Tim.

"How did it go?" McKinnon asked.

"All right."

Tim looked at her. "She's being kind. You better hope you don't have to rely on a huge degree of accuracy on my part."

"Did he hit any civilians?" Rodriguez asked. "Hey, I just want to know if I want to be in front of you or behind you when we go out."

"No civilians."

"Then you did all right."

"What do you want us to do now?"

"Indy can review the information with Adamsen; I need you to look at the map, see what you think for getting on land."

"It would really help if we knew where they were being held."

"Sullivan's working on that, but I wouldn't hold my breath. When I spoke to him earlier, they hadn't even opened negotiations."

"What's HQ doing?"

"I'm sorry, I forgot to give you the highlights," McKinnon recalled. "They're sending in a negotiating team."

"Really?"

"They say it's to give us cover." "Hedge their bets more likely."

"Yeah, well, they're sending in the seaQuest."

"SeaQuest?" Tim repeated.

"I'm surprised they authorized you to tell us that bit of news," Ryan remarked.

"As commanding officer of this unit, I am permitted to exercise my own judgment as to what information to release while on assignment," McKinnon stated.

"Why do I have the feeling that Sullivan is under the impression you're not telling us this information?"

"I have no idea, Sunshine."

"I assume that seaQuest has no clue that the Outriggers in general are involved, much less that it would be our particular unit?"

"Basically. Unfortunately, we'll have to keep it that way for now."

"The longer this goes on, the more I wonder if we really want to go back to seaQuest when we're released," Tim remarked to Lucas, "because with each passing day, it just gets worse."

"Think positive; maybe they'll classify the whole mission, so you won't be able to tell them anything," Ryan suggested.

Lucas and Tim looked at each other and laughed. "If we go back on that ship unable to tell them any information, they will bug everyone from your captain to the Secretary-General to learn the truth," Lucas informed them. "Especially Bridger."

"And, if that doesn't work, the doctor will drug us until we spill our guts," Tim added.

 

"We basically have nothing," Tim said disgustedly, thirty minutes later. He and Adamsen were working on the information they had gotten from Liana and Alicia.

"We have more than we did yesterday," Adamsen encouraged. "Not much more, but we have more. And we'll meet with Liana tomorrow. Hopefully, by then Slick will have gathered some more information, so we'll know what else to ask her."

"I certainly hope so. All of this protocol information she gave us: it's incredible."

"What's wrong?"

"It's knowing that seaQuest isn't going to have half this information," he admitted. "I mean, they're supposed to be engaged in negotiations and they're likely to offend someone without even knowing it."

"I think the plan is for it to be over before seaQuest is fully involved."

"I understand that, although why dispatch them so quickly if they don't want them involved?"

"It makes us, the UEO, look sincere," Dawson answered, having overheard the conversation. "The Secretary-General will probably tell the personnel on seaQuest that they are there strictly as a presence until Tarsinia opens negotiations. From what you guys learned today, they could take days to even make overtures, and that it will take a lot of set up for there to be meetings. They're hoping that, by the time the Tarsinians are even close to opening talks, we'll have gotten the job done."

"And this makes sense?"

"We don't make the policy, Indy. We just follow it."

 

Lucas shook his head as he scanned the files in front of him. "I can't believe it," he muttered to himself. "I did not think anyone could be this incredibly stupid."

"Do you always talk to yourself?" Rodriguez asked him. Lucas jumped, since, once again, Rodriguez had surprised him.

"Can't you ever make noise when you're behind me?" "Sure I could, but then I'd miss the pleasure of making you jump."

"You do this on purpose?"

"Hey, I have to get my fun somewhere."

"I wish you'd find some other way to entertain yourself."

"I could, but you're only here for a short time. I want to make sure you don't forget us when you're gone."

"I think it's safe to assume that I will not forget about this assignment when I'm gone. I'll probably have nightmares for months."

"You really should do something about your attitude problem. It could turn people off, you know."

"It hasn't worked with you, now, has it?"

"What are you doing?" Rodriguez asked, realizing that there were files up on the screen.

"I'm playing video games. What does it look like I'm doing?" Lucas asked him testily.

"Perhaps we should have made time for a nap earlier today," Rodriguez suggested, "because you're starting to sound a little cranky."

"Why don't you go bug Sunshine?"

"Because she told me to come bother you."

"You want to know what I found or you want to trade insults some more?" Lucas inquired. "Either one is fine with me."

"I'd rather trade insults, but Ice is standing in the corner giving me her 'command death glare', so I guess you better tell me what you found."

"The secret files of a Tarsinian nationalist involved in the kidnapping," Lucas stated calmly.

Rodriguez stared at him. "You're kidding."

"I never joke about hacking."

"Ice!" Rodriguez yelled to where McKinnon was talking with Ryan and Chandler. "I think you want to come see this."

"What's up?" McKinnon asked, hurrying over.

"Slick has been busy again."

"What did you find? More information?"

"That's one way to put it," Rodriguez informed her. "He's into the Tarsinian files."

"I don't want to know how," she told him. "What kind of files?"

"Apparently, a couple of government officials are also part of the nationalist movement," Lucas explained. "And they don't seem to have enough sense to hide their files better. I mean, any idiot could have found them."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying I've downloaded copies of their personal correspondence related to them taking the medical team hostage."

"How is that possible? Not that I doubt your abilities, but why would they leave it accessible?"

"They don't realize they did. They have the latest technology. However, they're careless. They hid the files, but didn't delete them, probably because they didn't expect anyone to look at them."

"That makes no sense."

"You have to think like they do," Lucas reasoned. "They're an isolated island. They have few dealings outside their own borders. They've dealt with no foreign governments for seventy-five years. They have no reason to think anyone would want to look in their files."

"Guess they haven't met you," Rodriguez mumbled. "So they got a little lax with their security. Hopefully, we can use it to our benefit." "Nice work, Slick," McKinnon told him.

"Just doing my job," Lucas said with a shrug. "You can access the files off one of the other systems. I want to keep looking: see if I can turn up anything else."

"Okay, I'll start going over the material with Ghost and Sunshine."

 

"We better start wrapping it up for the night," McKinnon called an hour later. "It's getting late and we still have more work to do tomorrow. We need to start working on a plan of action; we're supposed to be ready to go live by the day after," she reminded them.

"Ice, you don't mind if I stop by for a little chat do you?" Rodriguez asked her.

"Being sensitive again?" she inquired, after thinking for a moment.

"Something like that," he agreed.

"Your secret's safe with me."

 

"Come on; let's go get some sleep," Tim suggested to Lucas. "You look exhausted."

"You're not looking fully awake either," Lucas informed him.

"It's going to be another fun day tomorrow, too," Adamsen said, walking by them.

"It's all part of the exciting adventures of being an Outrigger," Dawson reminded her.

"Exciting is not the word I would use," Karneering interjected.

"He has a point," Chandler added.

"What's on deck for tomorrow?" Ryan asked McKinnon and Rodriguez, as they walked behind the group.

"More of the same, although we want to try to wrap the research up by about fourteen hundred. I'd like to get Slick back on the firing range for a little more work. Plus, we should try to get a few group jumps in. Hopefully, that will ease some of the anxiety for him."

"Don't count on it, Ice," Rodriguez advised. "He's never going to be comfortable, but he'll do it. It's not just fear; he has a complete phobia about heights."

"We'll try and see what happens," McKinnon told him. "But I just want both of them to get the feel for how it works. Tomorrow, in the evening, we need to concentrate on compiling the information that we have and working on how to use it to our advantage."

"Okay, sounds like a good idea."

"I have to talk to Ice," Rodriguez told Lucas and Tim, since they had arrived at the barracks. "I'll be in shortly."

 

"You okay?" Tim asked Lucas ten minutes later; this was the first time they had been alone since getting up that morning. Both had quickly gotten ready for bed and into their bunks. Neither one was ready to go to sleep though.

"I'll be fine, Tim," Lucas sighed. "I wish I could pretend this day never happened."

"Sunshine was pretty impressed that you went ahead with the jump," Tim told him. "So was I. That showed a lot of guts."

"I knew I had to try. Ghost was pretty cool about the whole thing."

"That's good. Why are you afraid of heights?" Tim inquired. He had asked him once before, after the incident on the ladder, but Lucas had never answered him.

"I just am, Tim. I don't know why."

"Oh," Tim said. He recognized the slight edge in the teenager's voice, which indicated that there was more than Lucas was saying, but that the subject was closed. "How did the shooting go?" he asked, willing to drop the issue for now.

"It went all right. I did pretty good, for the most part."

Tim heard the hesitation in his voice. "What's wrong?"

"I don't like guns, and I find it kind of scary that I did pretty well, at least when I didn't fully remember what I was doing with it, which also scares me; what if I freeze?"

"You'll be fine," Tim spoke firmly. "I've seen enough to know that McKinnon wouldn't have you here if she thought otherwise. I think most of them have forgotten your age. We're part of their team, at least, for now."

"Does it make you feel kind of disloyal?" Lucas asked, broaching the other subject at the forefront of his mind.

"To the seaQuest?" Tim questioned.

"Yeah, like there's something wrong with fitting in here?"

"I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess it's a different situation. It's not like we were sent to help out on another sub where's there's a hundred other crew members. We're here with eight people; it's hard not to get to know them. And we're in a situation where we have to fit in. I think everyone on seaQuest would understand that."

"It just feels kind of strange, you know. I had never fit in anywhere until seaQuest and sometimes I don't even fit in there. I just never expected, when McKinnon started talking about possible deployment, that I would end up feeling like part of their team."

"I know. I would not want to do their job every day. I don't see how they stand it."

"Same way we survive being on a sub," Lucas replied, with sudden insight. "You form friendships that go beyond work. They're like a family."

"You have a point. Speaking of which, if you tell anyone back on seaQuest about them calling me Indy, I will make your life miserable."

"Yeah, well, I don't think I want Krieg calling me Slick for the rest of the tour either, so my lips are sealed. It would be a lot easier to explain yours than mine."

"Just remember that," Tim ordered. He could just imagine the teasing he would take if the nickname ever came out, especially once he explained it.

"I promise."

 

"Maybe I'll let you take Slick to the range tomorrow," McKinnon told Rodriguez, as they sat in her room.

"Last night, you said you didn't trust us with weapons around one another; why change your mind now?"

"You got him off the Tower, didn't you?"

"Just happened to be in the right place at the right time," Rodriguez said, unwilling to admit he had done anything out of the ordinary.

"You knew before Sunshine and Indy jumped. That's why you changed the plan when you got up there," McKinnon pointed out. McKinnon knew it was more than just happening to be there that made Lucas trust Rodriguez enough to try with the jump. She knew enough about phobias to know it took a lot for someone to overcome one.

"Anyone could see he had a problem. He went white almost as soon as we stepped out of the elevator. He looked ready to pass out when the other two jumped. He tried to fight it though: wasn't going to say anything. But his fear won out."

"Took a lot of courage not to back down."

"You're not kidding. You should have Ryan take him, if that's possible. She might get him more comfortable with it. She is the best shot of all of us. And knows the most about weapons."

"You have a point. Actually, we'll just have to play it by ear: see which one of us is available. I just want to give him more time to get comfortable with it."

"This is not the best assignment we could have drawn, is it?"

"True, but it's not the worst either, so we have to consider ourselves lucky for that."

"You spend too much time with Sunshine," he groused, yawning. "You're starting to find the bright side of everything."

"You better go to bed, Ghost," McKinnon recommended. "Otherwise, I'm going to end up with a roommate for the night."

"Afraid people will talk?" he teased.

"No, I just don't want to listen to you snore. You're tired; go get some sleep."

"Okay," he agreed. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Night, Ghost."

 

Rodriguez entered the room to find the lights still on and both of his roommates sleeping. He shook his head and quickly got ready for bed, so he could turn the lights off before one of them woke up. Settling into his own bunk, it did not take long for him to fall asleep. It had been a long, exhausting day.

 

Hearing a noise, Rodriguez came instantly awake. His years with the Outriggers had left him a light sleeper, especially when in the field. Letting his eyes adjust to the dark, he lay still and checked his roommates. Tim lay sound asleep and unmoving, which Rodriguez found somewhat impressive, under the circumstances.

Moving his eyes upward, he found the source of the noise, Lucas was thrashing around on the top bunk. He thought the teenager was still asleep, although he could not be sure. Rodriguez waited a few moments to see if he was going to stop. Realizing he wasn't, and that Tim was likely to wake up if it continued, Rodriguez got out of bed. Watching the flailing arms and legs, he shook his head. It did not take a genius to realize this had something to do with the jumping from earlier. Last night, Lucas had slept peacefully; it made sense to Rodriguez that, if his sleep was disturbed, there was a connection.

The instant Rodriguez laid his hand on Lucas' shoulder, the boy was awake, jumping back away from his hand.

"What?" he asked, disoriented and reacting defensively.

Rodriguez put a finger to his lips, not wanting to wake up Tim. "Sh," he whispered. "You were about to tip your bed over, you were thrashing around so much," he said softly.

Lucas ran a hand through his hair. "Oh, sorry," he apologized, his eyes darting around the room.

"You really need to break that habit; it's not necessary to apologize," Rodriguez informed him. "You okay?" he questioned, watching as Lucas took several deep breaths.

"I'm fine. I just get restless some times," Lucas evaded.

Rodriguez nodded; it was pretty much the answer he had expected the teenager to give him. "Then I'll let you go back to sleep," he told him. "I just didn't want you to wake up Indy or throw yourself out of the bed. It's a long drop and the floor's concrete."

"I've hit my head on harder surfaces before," Lucas offered, with a trace of humor.

"And look what it's done to you, Slick. Go back to sleep," he ordered.

Lying back on his own bed, Rodriguez watched Lucas settle back into his bunk and waited to hear the even sounds of his breathing, which would indicate he was sleeping again. However, Rodriguez fell asleep long before Lucas did.

Lucas lay wide awake, staring at the ceiling. He felt fairly certain that Rodriguez had not believed him. Rodriguez was turning about to more perceptive than he had guessed at their first meeting. Shifting his position, he supposed he should have expected to have the DREAM tonight. That was how he always thought of it: in all capital letters. It had plagued him since childhood. There were two versions of the DREAM, but the beginning was always the same. Him, standing on top of a long flight of white stairs, looking down, unable to see the bottom, he was so high off the ground. Then him falling, fast, towards the bottom, unable to stop himself. Most times, he woke up in mid-flight, gasping for breath, scared out of his mind. The rest of the time, he followed the dream through, landing at the bottom, his legs jerking in his sleep, feeling the shock of the landing. Then he would wake up, terrified and alone.

Rolling over, on his side, Lucas took several deep breaths, wanting to go back to sleep, but unable to do so. He always had trouble sleeping after the DREAM. It would consume his thoughts for hours, as he recalled every image that it evoked. He had not been honest with Tim or Rodriguez when he said there was no basis for his fear of heights. It had always been the easy answer to give. Having spent a great deal of his childhood learning to keep everything inside and not show emotion, particularly not weakness, Lucas still clung to old habits.

But, late at night, when the DREAM resurfaced, yet again, to haunt him, Lucas was transported back to that day, nine years ago. He had been seven, taking swimming lessons for the first time. His parents thought he spent too much time indoors; his father insisted his son learn how to swim. Lucas always found it ironic that he had traded a fear of water that summer for a fear of heights. It had been the last class; the instructor was showing the students how to dive. Now, Lucas recognized that the board had not been all that high off the ground. At seven, it had seemed hundreds of miles above the water. Lucas had not wanted to jump, the instructor, Karin, had only recently gotten him to put his head under water. Karin had seen the fear in his eyes and been more than willing to consent to letting him sit out the jump. Lucas had endured the teasing of the rest of the class for being afraid to try the diving board. He had been grateful for it to be the last class.

Then Karin had mentioned it to his father, thinking she was doing Lucas a favor. He had spent a great deal of time wishing she had not been so helpful. His father had been outraged and insisted that Lucas jump off the diving board right then. Lucas had recognized the signs that he had better do this or his father would make his life miserable over the issue until something new came along. Standing on top of the board, looking down at the mass of water, the seven year-old Lucas had never been so scared in his life. He remembered the flash of fear that something was going to go wrong and his father yelling at him to stop being a baby and just do it, so he had closed his eyes and hoped for the best, stepping off the end of the diving board.

Later, everyone else at the pool, for there had been quite a few lifeguards and swimming instructors there, swore they had never seen anything like it. Lucas had hit the water at a strange angle, knocking himself unconscious and dislocating his right knee and tearing cartilage in it. He remembered the incredible pain when he woke up. But his strongest memories were of his father screaming at him for having caused such an embarrassing spectacle at the pool. When the dream had started, his parents had little patience for it. After six visits to a psychologist, who insisted that Lucas had sabotaged his dive to get back at his father, Lucas had stopped mentioning the dreams.

Being forced to swim as part of his physical therapy, Lucas had learned to like the water and swimming. Sometimes, when he swam with Darwin, Lucas had vague thoughts about owing his father for the pleasure of swimming with the dolphin. If he had not needed to rebuild the strength in his knee, Lucas knew he never would have gone back to swimming. He had spent that summer waiting for the lessons to end, hating every minute of them.

Rolling over again, clutching his pillow, Lucas fell asleep, hoping not to dream this time.

 

"Come on, Lucas; you have to wake up," Tim insisted, gently shaking him. He was still trying to figure out how Lucas had slept through the alarm and Rodriguez throwing it at the door again. "Don't close them!" he ordered, when Lucas opened his eyes and looked at him.

"Why are you shaking me?" Lucas asked, sitting up. "What time is it?"

"Time to get up," Tim informed him. "Rodriguez is in the shower. He said that, if you weren't up by his return, he was going to pour cold water on you."

"He probably would, too," Lucas grumbled.

"You were sleeping pretty soundly," Tim commented, watching him get out of bed.

"I was tired." Since Tim did not seem to know anything about last night, Lucas did not plan on enlightening him.

"Darn, Slick, I was hoping you'd still be sleeping," Rodriguez said, entering the room.

"So I heard. Just give me a minute to shower."

"Make it quick> I don't want to be late because of you. Ice will blame me."

"Why?"

"I'm the highest ranking of us three; I'm supposed to set an example."

"Somehow I don't think she expects that of you," Lucas told him as he exited.

"You should have let me pour the water on him," Rodriguez groused to Tim.

"It would have made him very cranky," Tim pointed out. "Thanks for yesterday," he added. "I wanted to tell you that before."

"For what?"

"For helping him on the Tower. A lot of people would not have been so patient."

"That's their problem. If I had known before we got him up there," Rodriguez said pointedly, "I would have worked him with on the ground beforehand. Once he was up on top, I either had to get him to make the jump or run the risk of him never being willing to make the attempt."

"I know; I should have said something," Tim confessed, guiltily. "But I didn't know how."

"It worked out, and next time you know better. And it's not just your fault. None of us even thought to ask if there was going to be a problem."

"He wouldn't have told you even if you had."

"Maybe, but we should have asked."

Lucas returned, having showered very quickly, so as not to keep them waiting. "I'm almost ready."

"Good. I'm just dying to see what they've cooked up for breakfast today," Rodriguez remarked.

 

"I think mine is raw," Dawson stated, eyeing his pancake with suspicion.

"That's okay; mine's moving," Chandler told him.

"Yes. What would another morning of camp be without a nice hearty breakfast to leave us thoroughly nauseated?" Ryan asked.

"If you guys spent less time griping about it, you'd probably enjoy it more," Karneering observed.

"You'd have us all in medical evals if we didn't whine about the food," Hallowell pointed out.

"You may be right about that," he conceded.

"It could be worse; we could be stuck on field rations," Ryan offered.

"Thank you for that happy thought, Sunshine," Rodriguez told her.

"Well, it's good to see you all so lively this morning. I assume this means today will be a productive one?" McKinnon interjected.

"I hate it when she starts sounding like a kindergarten teacher," Rodriguez mumbled.

"Did you say something, Ghost? Perhaps you'd like to share it with the rest of the class?"

"I did not say anything, Commander. I'm just eating my breakfast. Maybe you heard Slick talking to himself; he does that, you know."

"If you don't want to repeat yourself, that's fine, but don't draw an innocent young man into it," McKinnon instructed.

"Innocent is not a word I'd use to describe Slick." "I'd quit while you're ahead," Lucas advised under his breath.

"He's smart too," McKinnon remarked. "Okay, I need to know who's going where and when they're going. We need to get to work, boys and girls."

 

"So, what do you say? We live life on the edge again today and let Indy drive?" Ryan asked Adamsen and Hallowell, as they prepared to meet with Liana and Alicia.

"Sure, why not? We're Outriggers; danger is our lives," Adamsen said.

"Glad you said that, Brook. It's your turn to sit up front."

"On second thought-"

"She already gave him the keys," Hallowell told her.

"Thanks a lot, Sunshine."

"Any time."

"Anyone bring the airsickness bag?"

"You know, if you guys keep chattering, I might get distracted. That could lead to me paying less attention to my speed," Tim threatened.

"We'll be very quiet."

 

"What's got your attention?" McKinnon asked Rodriguez, as they sat, reviewing the information Lucas had found. Lucas was still working on the computer, stealthily digging through the Tarsinian files.

"What do you mean?" Rodriguez questioned, looking at her.

"I've asked you the same question three times, Ghost," she explained patiently.

"It's nothing."

"You're a terrible liar."

"Not lying," he insisted. Rodriguez had been watching Lucas. He was concerned about the teenager, but did not want to bring it up with McKinnon yet. Rodriguez had a feeling that whatever had disturbed the boy's sleep the night before was personal and that Lucas would not appreciate having McKinnon question him about it.

"Hey, Ice," Karneering greeted her, joining them. "I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to help with this disease. The data they've collected doesn't make much sense."

"That's not news I wanted to hear," she told him.

"I'm going to go see if Slick needs a hand, while you two talk medical." Rodriguez stood hastily; he did not want to listen to medical talk and it gave him a way to escape McKinnon's probing. He had learned, early on in their relationship, that McKinnon possessed an unerring ability to get people to talk, even when they did not want to initially.

"I don't understand what he has against doctors," Karneering remarked, taking a seat. "I haven't given up hope that one day he'll understand we're not here to hurt him."

"It's not you this time," McKinnon assured him. "He's running away from me."

"What did you do to him?" Karneering inquired, willing to be distracted momentarily.

"I just asked him a couple of questions, which he does not want to answer. At least, not honestly," McKinnon responded.

"I'd run too," Karneering commented. "Hey, you always get it out of us in the end," he explained, when she gave him a look. "Anyway, you had better hope seaQuest has better luck, otherwise, we're going to end up in quarantine," he added, returning to his reason for walking over to talk to her.

"That should be fun, especially when you know that half of this group will say things just to get a rise out of the observation team. Why don't you talk to Slick? He's gotten into the Tarsinian files; maybe there's something he can dig up for you."

"It's worth a shot, so we really going to jump again this afternoon?" Karneering asked.

"Yes."

"We all admire him for sticking it out," Karneering commented.

"I'm not the one you should be telling," McKinnon pointed out.

"You have a point. Rodriguez has taken to him, hasn't he?"

"You know Ghost, he likes to pretend to be tough, but, underneath he's a marshmallow," she said with a smile.

"True, but I wouldn't say it where he could hear it," he advised.

"I don't plan on it. Besides, Slick gives him a hard time; he likes it when a person doesn't back down."

 

"Don't say a word, Ghost," Lucas said, just as Rodriguez prepared to speak.

"Who me?" Rodriguez asked, puzzled. He could not see that Chandler, who was seated at a table beneath Lucas' station, had signaled to Lucas that someone was behind him.

"Yes, you. You were probably hoping to see if you could make me jump through the ceiling."

"You're certainly in a good mood this morning. You want me to have Ice schedule you for a nap later on?"

"Always full of helpful suggestions, aren't you?"

"It's my job, Slick."

"And you do it so well," Lucas informed him. "So, did you come over here for a reason? Or just to bug me?"

"Yes."

"Want to clarify that answer?"

"Well, I had a reason and I wanted to bother you, because it's so much fun. And you might have noticed, Ice doesn't allow for a lot of free time when we go to camp like this. This means I have to take it where I can find it," Rodriguez confided.

"I feel so special."

"I'm sensing some hostility here, Slick," Rodriguez remarked. "Anyway, Ice wants to know if there are any records which might give us an idea where they are actually holding the medical team. There are a lot of areas where they could be holding them; we need to know the best possibilities. If you could get an address, that would be even better."

"I'll give it a shot."

 

"I wouldn't hold out too much hope in succeeding in initial talks with Tarsinian diplomats," Liana advised Tim and Adamsen.

"Why not?" Tim queried.

"It's another show of power on their part. They will probably withdraw and then, a while later: days, even weeks or months, they will indicate their willingness to resume talks. It will be a concession on their part: like they are doing you a favor."

"Pride has a lot to do with the way they handle any situation, then?" Adamsen inquired.

"Very much so. Any slight to them, perceived or real, can have extreme results."

"How extreme?" Tim questioned.

"It depends, but I know of people being killed for making disrespectful comments about the government. As outsiders, the UEO will have to proceed carefully."

"Great," Tim sighed. "Careful and UEO are not words one often associates together."

"Well, all you can do is learn what you can," Liana advised. "Treat them with respect and it will not be so bad."

"What about the language issues? There's no way anyone in the UEO is going to be able to conduct discussions in Tarsinian. You said they would insist on it," Adamsen reminded her.

"If you ask properly, they might provide a translator for you. But you are wise to have someone available with at least a working knowledge of the language."

"Why?"

"Because, if we rely on them to translate for us, we could end up with something we did not anticipate," Tim answered for Liana. "But no one in the UEO speaks the language. We wouldn't be here if they did."

"You could find someone who left the island," Liana suggested.

"Like you?"

"No, not like me. If you took me in there, it would been as a direct insult. You would need to find someone they would respect," she advised. "There are a few who have left the island for reasons supported by the government," she explained. "Not many, and they tend to keep to themselves, but, if you found one of them, it would work."

"We'd still run the risk of mistranslation," Adamsen pointed out.

"That is true, but you'll run that risk no matter who speaks for you."

"You said you would teach us some key phrases if we asked," Tim interrupted; he saw no point in continuing this discussion. They were treading a fine line here and he did not want to have Liana start questioning their real interest.

"Of course. What do you need?"

 

"We're going to eat lunch a little late," McKinnon told Lucas, making him jump. "Sorry about that," she apologized, while Rodriguez snickered.

"All right," Lucas acknowledged, concentrating on the computer screen.

"Then afterwards, we thought we crash all the data you've found so that you could start over from scratch," McKinnon continued, sensing that she did not have Lucas' full attention.

"Uh huh," Lucas responded absently.

"Of course, we'd have to take the computers apart, just to give you a challenge."

"Sure."

"You're bad," Rodriguez whispered to McKinnon, waiting to see what she did next.

"Slick!" McKinnon yelled directly into Lucas' ear, making him jump again.

"Yes?" he asked, turning around.

"It's time to take a break," she ordered.

"I'm almost done with this," he protested.

"Word of advice, Slick: when Ice tells you it's time to take a break, she's serious," Rodriguez advised.

"I just wanted to finish this download. Just because they haven't noticed me inside their systems doesn't mean I want to take up permanent residence there."

"How long to finish?" McKinnon asked him.

"Ten minutes."

"Start timing him, Ghost," she instructed Rodriguez. "If he's not done in precisely ten minutes, how you get him to take a break is up to you."

"Really?" he inquired, a devilish gleam entering his eyes.

"Yes, but that means you're responsible."

"I knew there was a catch," he grumbled. "Next time, pay attention when she talks to you," he told Lucas.

"What did I do?"

"She threatened to crash the computers and take them apart and you told her okay. She took it as a sign that you were a little too involved in your work."

"Oh."

"Yes, and now you've roped me into it."

"How?"

"When she said I was responsible? That was her code for: if you don't take a break in ten minutes, she's going to make my life miserable."

"I'll be done," Lucas promised.

"You had better be. She can be very creative."

"Then maybe I should see what-."

"I'll make sure you're included in whatever devious plot she has in mind," Rodriguez warned.

"Okay, okay, I get the picture."

 

"So how long do I have to take this break for?" Lucas asked McKinnon, exactly ten minutes later.

"Until you lose the glazed look in your eyes," McKinnon informed him, handing him a soda. "Drink this; we don't want you getting dehydrated."

"If we're waiting for him to lose the glazed look, we're going to be here a real long time," Rodriguez commented.

"Water would be better," Karneering remarked, as he joined them.

"Yes, but the water here is brown, Einstein. It tends to turn people off," McKinnon reminded him.

"I see your point. Slick, Ice says you might be able to help me access Tarsinian medical data," Karneering said.

"I don't know; I can try."

"Good enough for me."

"I'll get you in and let you look at what there is. I'm not sure what kind of files you would need," Lucas explained.

"I thought you could do anything," Rodriguez teased.

"Just most things."

"Hey, Ice," Dawson called, walking up. "We're pretty much done until we get a plan in place. We've gathered all the basic supplies. We can get started on the clothing, if you can get us some more information on climate and terrain."

"Sunshine, Brook, Columbus and Indy are working on that information. They'll be back in about an hour, with lunch and more information, we hope."

"What would you like us to do in the meantime?"

"Start reviewing what we know so far, see what you think on point of entry and how to progress once we're on the island," she instructed.

"Okay."

"Can I go back to work now?" Lucas inquired.

"Yes," she conceded, after checking the time. "Ghost, I trust you'll make sure there won't be a problem when it's time to break for lunch."

"Of course not," Rodriguez sighed.

 

"Okay, Ice told us to bring lunch back with us," Ryan announced, when all four were back in the jeep and ready to get back to the base.

"What are we supposed to get?" Hallowell asked.

"She said whatever we wanted."

"That way they can all gripe that it's not what they wanted," Adamsen interjected.

"Then she'll say she didn't pick it out, we did," Hallowell concluded.

"There's a stop sign up ahead, Indy," Ryan observed, having been stuck in the front seat again.

"I see it," Tim informed her. "I'm not blind, although I probably should have cleaned my glasses before we got on the road."

"That's not funny," Hallowell told him.

"It wasn't meant to be. You guys worry too much. I've never even hit top speed in this thing," Tim said. "Maybe we should try, since this is our last trip out together."

"No, Indy, I think we've all bonded enough. Plus, Ice will not be happy if you get us killed!" Adamsen yelled at him.

"I think you've spent too much time with us," Ryan informed him. "Your sense of humor is getting as bad as ours."

"I have a feeling that if his buddies on seaQuest could see him now, they'd all be shocked," Hallowell remarked.

"I know. He seemed like such a nice, quiet, young man when we first met him. Where did that boy go?" Ryan mused.

"He is in the car, you know? In fact, since he is driving, you might not want to irritate him," Tim interjected.

"I think we get the picture," Hallowell reassured him hastily.

"What are we getting for lunch?" Ryan asked.

 

"From what the files show, these are the two most logical buildings for the hostages to be held in," Lucas informed McKinnon, pulling up the schematics for both. "I'm going to keep digging, see if I can't find some more clues as to which one it is."

"Well, this helps," she told him. "How far apart are they?"

"About two miles."

"Not too bad. They could be on opposite ends of the island."

"I'll let you know what I can find out, but I can't guarantee anything."

"You've already given us more than we possibly imagined, Slick." McKinnon turned to leave, then stopped. "We're going to do some more jumps today. Are you going to be okay with that?" she asked.

"I think so," he replied, hesitantly.

"We'll take it as slow as you need; you just have to let us know if we go too fast."

"I'll try," he told her.

"Okay."

 

"Now, remember, if no one's happy with the food, it's Indy's fault," Adamsen reminded, as they got out of the jeep.

"Why is it my fault? Sunshine chose the restaurant," Tim complained.

"Only after you proclaimed that, if we didn't pick something soon, you were going to pull over into the first place that looked like it served food," Hallowell retorted. "We try to have a little discussion over where to stop and you get so irritable."

"A little discussion?" Tim repeated. "People were starting to think I was drunk you had me changing lanes so many times, only to decide you didn't want to stop."

"Actually, we didn't really notice any big change in your driving habits," Ryan remarked. "Fortunately, Zimmer isn't here; she's allergic to Chinese."

"Come on; let's get this stuff inside. Otherwise Ice will think we've gone AWOL," Hallowell said.

 

"It's already dead, Slick. Stabbing it isn't going to kill it any more," Rodriguez remarked, speaking to Lucas, who was playing with his food more than eating it.

"Oh, just thinking," Lucas mumbled absently.

"You think too much," Rodriguez informed him. "You're going to make the rest of us look bad."

"It's not such a hard thing to do with you," Lucas told him.

"Try using some of that attitude to eat," he recommended.

"After we eat, we're going to start going over what we know and what we don't know. At sixteen hundred, we're going to go back out to the Tower and try some group jumps," McKinnon announced. "We'll eat dinner and start putting together a plan of action. Any questions?"

"I have one," Ryan told her quietly. "What about taking Slick shooting again?"

"After dinner, I think. I don't want to do it before we go jumping. I also didn't want to jump immediately after we ate lunch."

"I see your point."

 

"Slick, I'd like you to stay at the computer, while we discuss this," McKinnon instructed. "There's going to be questions we'll want answered. I figure you can look them up as we go along."

"All right," he agreed.

The other nine grouped around a table. "First, let's start with Einstein," McKinnon said. "Get that cleared away and proceed from that point."

"I'm afraid I don't have good news," Karneering announced. "Since I've been studying data that they've gathered, I can't find a cause for the disease or a cure. Since none of the medical team caught it, it's relatively safe to assume that it is a derivative of something to which we have a natural or acquired immunity; not surprising, since the Tarsinians have been isolated. It would make them susceptible to diseases that we would not get."

"I, for one, do not like the sound of this," Rodriguez mumbled.

"I don't blame you. Without a known cause, the UEO is likely to invoke the standard quarantine period upon our return."

"Why do we get all the fun assignments?" Ryan asked.

"Just our luck, I guess."

"Now, I did find out that the medical team on seaQuest is also tackling the problem. Since they have more people, and a lab to work in, they might come up with something I haven't been able to find."

"And you think seaQuest is going to want to share the information with us? After they find out we're the unit that's been borrowing their crew?" Rodriguez inquired. "Something tells us we are not on their Christmas card list right now."

"Don't worry, Ghost. Westphalen would offer any of her medical data, just so she could torture you guys in person," Tim offered.

"That is such a comfort, Indy," Dawson interjected.

"It's the best I can do."

"Basically, I have nothing more to offer," Karneering informed McKinnon. "Sorry."

"That's all right. If we have to be quarantined, we will survive," McKinnon remarked. "Now, let's move onto the rest of the stuff we have. Starting with Sunshine, Brook, Columbus and Indy."

"Climatically, Tarsinia is like Hawaii: tropical, hot and humid. They are in the dry season right now. Heavy vegetation, particularly in the undeveloped areas," Ryan reported, "which should provide us with pretty good cover. They patrol the land access fairly closely. The island is surrounded by reef, so that makes them feel invulnerable to a water attack."

"They've never been invaded by any power. The security measures they have taken are out of their own paranoia rather than a perceived threat," Hallowell added.

"What else?" McKinnon requested.

"The language and customs are very intricate. We do not want to have to try to deal with these people," Adamsen informed her. "We're likely to offend them."

"If we make a rescue attempt, we must succeed," Ryan clarified, "otherwise, we can't guarantee the safety of the hostages."

"So, once we make an open move, we are committed to the attempt?" McKinnon asked.

"Yes."

"Liana did teach us a few key phrases, but nothing major," Tim offered. "And, even then, a slight mispronunciation could get us into trouble."

"We'll definitely have to move at night," Rodriguez stated.

"I'd have to agree," McKinnon said.

"There is a lot of turmoil in the government. Recent rumors say that the government in power is not likely to be in power for long," Hallowell remarked, "which means that the nationalist group could be doing so as part of a political power play."

"What do you mean?" Chandler asked.

"That it's an effort for them to gain the respect and support of the other Tarsinians."

"The nationalists could be using the hostages as a way to take over the government," McKinnon clarified.

"Which makes the situation even more volatile," Rodriguez muttered.

"Slick has been able to identify two possible locations for holding the hostages," McKinnon announced. "He has not found any confirmation of their whereabouts though."

"Well, we couldn't expect them to leave a map with a big red X on it," Ryan pointed out.

"Unfortunately, it rarely works out that way," McKinnon agreed. "The buildings are two miles apart, which means that we'll have to send in a reconnaissance team before the rest of us move in."

"Makes sense. We can find a place to wait nearby, while the team scouts ahead," Rodriguez concurred. "Ten of us can't take two buildings."

"We'll discuss specifics momentarily. Security is similar on both buildings. However, the information is a year old, so they may have added to it. We will have to go in prepared to improvise."

 

The discussion continued for another hour, with everyone contributing and Lucas looking up information on the computers. They would not come up with a final plan of attack until later. McKinnon had to check in with Sullivan and see if there were any new developments on that end, plus she wanted everyone to take some more time to review what information they had.

 

"Come on, Slick; we're going to go ahead of the rest of the team," Rodriguez whispered in Lucas' ear, pulling him away from the group.

"Oh?"

"Ice figures you'll be uncomfortable up on the Tower at first. We both thought it would be easier if you had a chance to adjust to it before the rest of the group got there," he explained.

"All right," Lucas agreed.

 

"You're doing fine," Rodriguez told him, as they rode up the elevator ten minutes later.

"I don't feel fine," Lucas informed him.

"That's okay."

"Remind me again why I'm doing this?"

"Because you're too stubborn to give up," Rodriguez stated. "Don't give me that look. It's true."

"They always told me it would get me in trouble some day."

"Who's they?"

"Just people."

"Well, what do they know?"

"So what are we doing today?"

"We're going to partner jump. It's fairly certain we're going to be doing a water landing, so we want to get you both comfortable with that," Rodriguez replied, stepping out of the elevator. "Take a deep breath," he ordered. "Nice and easy: it's okay."

"I'm sorry, I-"

"I thought we had discussed this habit of apologizing you have," Rodriguez said. "I don't want to hear another apology out of you for the rest of this assignment."

"What are you going to do to me if I do?"

Rodriguez smiled; he had figured the comment might make the teenager get some of his attitude back.

"I'll think of something. Trust me; you won't like it," he promised.

"That's not fair; I should get to know the consequences ahead of time."

"I'm an Outrigger; I don't play by the rules," Rodriguez informed him.

"Now you tell me."

"So you doing okay?"

"I'm working on it."

"Let's sit for a minute." Rodriguez led him to the edge. "Just to get you familiar with looking down," he added.

"Can't I get familiar from the back?" Lucas asked, pointing behind them.

"Take a deep breath," Rodriguez instructed, noticing Lucas' breathing had grown uneven again. "There you go."

 

"How long did Ghost say he would need?" Ryan asked McKinnon, as they and the rest of the team got ready.

"He's not sure, but he's got him sitting on the edge, so it has to be a good sign," McKinnon observed.

 

"Okay, let's see if the others are ready yet," Rodriguez said, moments later, helping Lucas stand. "You're doing just fine."

"Thanks."

"Put your headset on. We can hear if they're saying bad things about us," Rodriguez ordered. "Ice?"

"Yes?"

"Whenever you guys are ready, we are."

"Then we'll up shortly. You figure out the jump order yet?"

"Let's switch Sunshine and Einstein; I don't want her going first with Indy. I'll stay in the final slot," he suggested.

Ryan gave McKinnon a questioning look. "Okay, we'll talk about it on top," McKinnon informed him.

"Is that a good idea?" Ryan asked quietly, as they all headed to the elevator.

"I'm sure he has a reason."

"We'll let you guys go up first, so you can hash out the jump order." Karneering motioned them into the elevator. "All eight of us aren't going to fit comfortably anyway."

"Thanks, Einstein."

"You're missing some people, Ice," Rodriguez remarked, when the two women stepped out of the elevator.

"Hey, Slick," Ryan said, walking over to where Lucas stood.

"Hi. Are we having fun yet?"

"Sure, we are."

"I wish someone had notified me," Lucas told her with a weak smile.

 

"You sure you want to go last?" McKinnon asked Rodriguez.

"It's our best option. By that time, most of you will be in the water. I'm afraid that, if we start adding a bunch of people in the jump path, it's going to make it worse. Then he'll be worried about hitting someone. I can't take him first; that's bad planning."

"Okay, I'll trust your judgment," McKinnon consented.

 

The rest of the team had arrived up on top. "Jump order will follow our standard pattern, with the exception that Einstein will take the lead off position. Sunshine and Indy will jump in his place. This means that, Columbus, you will need to wait for them to almost touch the ground before you start your jump. Clear?"

"Clear!" the group yelled.

"Let's line it up."

"Hey, Slick," Chandler spoke softly to Lucas, "what you're doing up here, we all think it shows a lot of courage on your part."

"Or great stupidity. Thanks, though," Lucas added.

"It's true. We've had people wash out of the Outriggers because of this or another phobia," Chandler insisted. "You may not be cured of your fear, but you're willing to give it a good try."

"Okay, before we go, let's do a mike check," McKinnon ordered. "Going from the top."

"Einstein."

"Ice."

"Indy."

"Sunshine."

"Columbus."

"Casanova."

"Brook."

"Irish."

"Slick."

"Ghost."

"It's all yours, Einstein," McKinnon instructed.

"Site looks clear: I'm going on three," he announced. "One-two-three-"

"Left," McKinnon told him, as she prepared to make her own jump.

"Just don't forget to bend your knees," Ryan advised Tim. "Ice, you're to the right," she added. "Here we go!" she shouted, taking Tim's hand and stepping off the platform.

"Keep breathing," Rodriguez ordered Lucas, who seemed to getting rather pale. "And don't watch."

"How can I? My eyes are closed."

Hallowell waited until he saw Ryan and Tim were clear and then he began his descent. "You're clear," Dawson told him.

"You'll be fine," Rodriguez kept talking to Lucas, wanting to keep him comfortable, while they waited for their turn.

"Is it too late to get sick?"

"Yes."

"You're no fun."

"Hang on; I have to watch Irish. We don't want him crashing," Rodriguez explained. "Irish, you're up too far."

"I guess we have to go now?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah and you're going to need to open your eyes now," Rodriguez pointed out. "Let's do it!" he yelled. He felt Lucas' grip tighten as they stepped off the platform.

"You're clear," McKinnon informed him.

"Not bad," Rodriguez complimented Lucas, helping him stand.

"Nice job, Slick," Karneering said, giving him a hand off the airbag.

"Uh, thanks," Lucas accepted nervously.

"We want to go a couple more times, okay?" McKinnon inquired. "It's a new sequence for us, too."

"All right."

 

"Indy," McKinnon tapped Tim on the shoulder and motioned him to follow her, two hours later, when the unit was eating dinner, "does Slick always play with his food or is it because of being here?" she asked.

"A little of both," Tim replied. "He's not a real big eater; when he gets stressed, it tends to get worse."

"Will he be all right?"

"Yes," Tim answered, trying to figure out exactly what she wanted to know.

"I just want to make sure he's not going to collapse on us."

"No. He's never done that before," Tim assured her. "And he's eating: on seaQuest he's been known to miss meals when he's working on something. Not on purpose, he just gets involved," Tim clarified, noticing her concerned look. "Lucas' mind is always turned on. There's always some program to fix or a new computer to hack into, or any number of other challenges that he wants to tackle. The mundane chores like eating are not at the forefront of his thoughts."

"So, what do you do?" she inquired, more curious than concerned now.

"We make an effort to make sure someone gets him at meal times."

"When that doesn't work?"

"The captain usually takes over."

"What does he do?"

"Uh, none of us know, but it seems pretty effective," Tim admitted.

"I guess it shouldn't surprise me; the entire unit is like that when they're working on a problem," she sighed.

"You guys telling secrets?" Rodriguez questioned, joining them.

"No, I just had a couple of questions I needed Indy to answer for me," McKinnon informed him.

"I was hoping to catch some good gossip," Rodriguez remarked.

"You would want to talk to Sunshine for that," McKinnon reminded.

"Only because you won't ever share," he grumbled.

"On that note, I have to go talk to Sullivan," McKinnon grimaced. "See if you can behave like the second-in-command of this unit and get some work done," she ordered Rodriguez, flashing him a quick grin.

"Why me?"

"Just lucky, I guess," Tim told him.

"Hey, Ghost, I'm going to take Slick to the shooting range," Ryan notified him.

"Go ahead and take Indy, as well," he instructed. "Might as well give him some more practice." "You're the boss," Ryan agreed.

"Why do I doubt your sincerity?"

"Because you're naturally suspicious."

"Working with you has that effect on me."

"We'll be back in an hour or so," she informed him.

"That's real precise."

"I know."

 

McKinnon waited for Sullivan to appear on the vid-screen. "Captain Sullivan," she greeted him politely.

"Commander," he acknowledged. "How are things?"

"Fine, sir."

"Do you have a solution in place?"

"We are finalizing the details."

"The clock is ticking, Commander."

"Yes, sir. We are aware of that. However, we've been gathering the necessary information. In regards to the disease, has the seaQuest had any success in isolation the cause?"

"Not that I am aware of at this time."

"Has there been any word from the Tarsinians?"

"No. They have yet to respond to any of our communications."

"Is seaQuest near Tarsinia?"

"Not at present."

"What's going on, Captain?" McKinnon asked, an edge creeping into her voice.

"In the interests of keeping the Tarsinians appeased, we have asked them not to arrive on site at this time. HQ feels that the Tarsinians might feel threatened if the seaQuest shows up uninvited, so to speak."

"So, you want us to go in alone?" McKinnon questioned.

"That was the plan to begin with, Commander," Sullivan pointed out.

"Yesterday, you indicated that the seaQuest would be on the scene to provide the cover of conducting negotiations."

"Tarsinian protocol indicates that, if we send in seaQuest uninvited, the government will react adversely. Therefore, seaQuest will remain outside Tarsinian waters and conduct initial talks from there. We are hoping to make it a display of good faith."

"You're going to sanction the mission if it fails," McKinnon stated bluntly.

"I have every confidence that your team will be successful."

"You better hope so, Captain," McKinnon said, icily, "because I will consider it a sanction without cause."

 

"Okay, we're just going to run the simulations today," Ryan told Lucas and Tim.

"Gee, all this fun we've been having, I sure don't want to leave," Lucas mumbled to Tim, as they prepared for the simulation.

"No wonder you get along so well with Ghost," Ryan commented, overhearing the remark. "He likes an attitude."

"Sorry," Lucas apologized.

"You know, Ghost asked me to keep track of how many times you apologized. Is there a reason for that?" Ryan inquired. Rodriguez had refused to explain the request and she wondered if Lucas would.

"No. He's just being difficult," Lucas responded, wondering exactly what Rodriguez had said.

"He does it so well. Okay, Slick, you're going to go first. I haven't seen you shoot yet. I already know how Indy does."

"Lucky me," Lucas muttered, earning himself an elbow in the side from Tim. "What?"

"Behave," Tim hissed.

"I'm just going to set the simulation up. I assume that Ice explained that we don't want to shoot the civilians?" Ryan inquired.

"Yes, she was pretty clear on that part."

"Good."

Lucas still felt uncomfortable with the gun, but, having survived jumping off the Tower, shooting no longer seemed like such a big deal. "Here goes nothing," he mumbled, waiting for Ryan to start the program.

"Are you sure you've never done this before?" Ryan asked, reading his score, when he finished, ten minutes later.

"I think I would have remembered."

"Just checking. You're a good shot."

"Sure, make me follow him," Tim grumbled. He did not need to see the score to know that Lucas had done well.

"You'll do fine," Ryan assured him, watching as Lucas sat down. She noticed that he did not seem particularly happy with the situation. "You're all set," she advised Tim.

"You know, if anyone finds out about this on seaQuest, I'm going to be mortified," Tim commented, forty minutes later, after they had run the simulation several times.

Lucas looked at him. "I don't know about you, but I surely have no intention of revealing this to anyone," he observed. "I think this is another one of those things that needs to stay between us."

"I see your point," Tim conceded.

"Well, we had better get back and see what's going on," Ryan said. "You know, there is nothing wrong with being good at it," she told Lucas, as they walked back to the computer center. "It doesn't mean that you'll ever have to use it."

"It's kind of strange to find out that I have pretty good aim," Lucas admitted. "This is not one of those things I envisioned being good at."

"Life is kind of funny that way. It likes to surprise us."

 

"Ice is still talking to Sullivan," Rodriguez reported, when the trio arrived back. "At least, I assume that's why she hasn't come back."

"He must be feeling talkative," Ryan remarked.

"Which is usually a bad sign. Anyway, Brook, Columbus, Irish, Einstein and I have been tossing around ideas. Casanova went to get more sodas, since we're running low, and you know Ice is going to keep us here for a while."

"You're probably right, especially if they still want us to go live tomorrow," Ryan agreed.

"What we'll do is stay up late, get a few hours sleep and get up for a few hours and get what we need to get done," Rodriguez explained to Lucas and Tim. "Then we'll sleep in the late afternoon, so that we don't start out tired."

"Must wreak havoc on your sleep patterns," Tim remarked.

"Not really: we're used to it. This isn't going to be a problem for you, is it?"

Lucas and Tim looked at each other and laughed.

"Ghost, we spend the majority our time on a submarine, under water," Lucas reminded him.

"Your point?"

"There is no night and day on a sub. At least, not naturally occurring. It's all simulated."

"Plus, we rotate shifts," Tim added, "often without warning, depending on the situation."

"You don't see real night and day?" Ryan inquired.

"No."

"How do you stand it?"

"You get used to it," Tim answered.

"And you really look forward to your leave," Lucas interjected.

"Unless someone ruins it by requesting you for temporary duty?" Rodriguez asked.

"Something like that."

"Hey, gang, Ice is on her way," Dawson said, entering the room with the soda. "And she's not looking like a happy camper either."

"Great," Rodriguez sighed. "We better look like we're doing something."

 

McKinnon entered the room and looked at the group, which sat around the table talking, with the exception of Lucas, who sat at the computer. Judging from the intent look on his face, he was looking up some information. She walked over to him first.

"Slick, I need to you join us at the table," she instructed.

"Uh, okay," Lucas replied, tying a few quick commands and scrambling out of his chair. This did not seem like a moment to argue with her. He slid into a seat between Tim and Adamsen.

"I have a few details to go over," McKinnon announced, taking her place at the head of the table. "First, this is unrelated to our current assignment, but I know you're all interested. Lieutenant Commander Zimmer and Lieutenant Petrie have both been retired from active duty. Petrie has put in for a transfer to work support for another unit; he will be reassigned before our return. Zimmer is opting to leave the Outriggers entirely. We will receive replacements for both after we sign off on our current mission."

"We lost both?" Ryan questioned.

"I'm afraid so." There was a moment of silence as the rest of the crew digested the piece of news.

"Why do I have the feeling this is the good news?" Rodriguez inquired.

"Because you're paranoid. Unfortunately, you have good reason," McKinnon observed. "Captain Sullivan has informed me that HQ has requested that seaQuest remain out of Tarsinian waters until such time as the Tarsinian government issues an invitation. They are to conduct communications from that point."

"The chances of the Tarsinians issuing an invitation are not good, at least not at this point," Ryan commented.

"HQ is well aware of that fact. However, they are unwilling offend the Tarsinians at this point," McKinnon explained. "They fear that, if the seaQuest enters their jurisdiction without invitation, the Tarsinians will see it as an act of aggression."

"If HQ is concerned about how the Tarsinians will perceive seaQuest's presence, what about us?" Chandler asked. "I mean, seaQuest was to be there simply for negotiations. We're being sent in to make a rescue."

"HQ is going to sanction the mission," Rodriguez stated. "If we are not successful, they'll sanction it."

"That's what I believe, yes," McKinnon assented. "I already explained to Captain Sullivan that it will be viewed as a sanction without cause."

"Excuse me," Tim interrupted. "What are you saying?"p> "If we are unsuccessful in our attempt to rescue the medical team, there is a high probability that HQ will issue a sanction. What this means is that they will disavow our right to have conducted it. And we will be subjected to a trial for our actions," McKinnon explained quietly. "That's if we fail and accomplish a full retreat."

"What do you mean?" Lucas questioned, trying to keep up with the conversation.

"Full retreat means that all of us make it out of there," Rodriguez clarified. "Anything less than full means that someone was captured."

"What happens then?"

"HQ will not attempt to negotiate for the release of the hostages. They will proclaim to have no knowledge of the attempt and refuse to assist in any efforts to gain their freedom."

"And you think this is going to happen, if something goes wrong?" Tim queried.

"It's a very likely possibility," she agreed.

"What did you mean by sanction without cause?" Lucas asked.

"We can appeal the sanction. If we can prove that there was no basis for the action: that we acted on good faith and with proper regard for the situation. It does not do anything right away, but it will clear our records."

"So, we better make sure we do this right," Rodriguez stated.

"That's my first choice," McKinnon assured him. "But we better have a back up in place."

"Chances are, if we're sanctioned, then hostages will have been taken," Ryan pointed out. "If we are able to make a full retreat, then we won't have progressed very far into the mission plan."

"I agree," Rodriguez added.

"Standard Outrigger Protocol has us attempting a rescue of any captured crew members within thirty-six hours after their seizure," McKinnon explained for the benefit of Lucas and Tim. "In a case of a sanctioned mission, HQ will insist on our return within thirty hours after a failed assignment."

"What do you do?" Tim asked. He did not see McKinnon or any of the others simply walking away from anyone on the team.

"Each unit has its own protocol for such occasions. Ours is currently T minus 20, which means we re-deploy sixteen hours after capture."

"Doesn't Sullivan know this?" Lucas questioned.

"Not really. He realizes that we'll probably make an attempt, but he doesn't realize that it's organized. He'll figure we'll tip our hand before we get a chance to try it."

"Plus, our unit has only been sanctioned one other time," Dawson interjected. "If it occurs to them that there might be organization to it, they will operate on the previous time frame."

"Once a unit uses its special protocol, it changes the equation," Ryan clarified. "Because of Ice's reputation, they will expect her to move faster than sixteen hours, if she's going to do anything."

"I guarantee all of you, as long as I command this unit, I will leave no one behind," McKinnon vowed.

"That goes for me," Rodriguez added, since as second in command there was a chance he could end up being in charge if problems arose.

"And me," Ryan promised.

"Now, let's get our plan into place, so that we can avoid any of this happening," McKinnon advised. "Keep them occupied for a moment," she whispered to Rodriguez. "I need to talk to Indy and Slick."

"Of course," he replied.

 

Once Rodriguez had a discussion under way, McKinnon pulled Lucas and Tim out of the room, into the small conference room, where she had talked to Sullivan.

"What's wrong?" Tim asked, taking a seat.

"I need to present your options to you."

"Our options?" Lucas repeated.

"Yes. Regulations or not, I will not take either one of you on this assignment if you want out. Sullivan raised the stakes this afternoon. These are risks that we accept as Outriggers. They are not risks you have to accept," McKinnon told them.

"What are they?" Tim asked, more curious than anything else.

"You can serve as support staff for us here; you can leave or you can go with us."

"Do you think this is out of our league?"

"No. Both of you have proven yourselves. But I will not force you to come along on something like this. We have a high success rate, but I can't offer any guarantees. I can only promise to do my best to make sure the team comes back safely."

Lucas and Tim looked at each other. "You mind if we have a minute?" Tim finally asked; this was not a decision he wanted to make without talking to Lucas, even though he could tell they both were thinking the same thing.

"That's fine. Take all the time you need. I'll wait outside."

 

"Where did Ice go?" Chandler asked.

"To take care of business," Rodriguez replied, tersely.

"We're missing Indy and Slick, too," Adamsen observed.

"That should answer your question, then," Ryan pointed out.

"Think they'll walk?" Dawson asked.

"Don't know. But it's their decision to make and our job is to accept it," Rodriguez reminded them. He felt fairly confident that both would remain with the team, but he did not want to offer his opinion.

"Can't blame them if they back down," Karneering remarked.

"I don't think they will," Ryan commented.

 

"What do you want to do?" Tim asked Lucas, as they sat, trying to make a decision.

"Part of me thinks now would be a real good time to go home," Lucas answered. "The other part of me knows they need us."

"I know what you mean."

"It's not going to be easy with ten of us. If they only have eight-" Lucas let his voice trail off. "It would be like walking out on the seaQuest when they needed us. We've never done that before."

"You want to stay." It was more a statement than a question.

"Don't you?" Lucas countered.

"Yes. I agree; we can't walk out now. They're counting on us."

"Then let's tell Ice, so we can get back to the important stuff."

"Yes. Just a word of advice," Tim began. "I don't think we should mention the part about having a choice to Bridger and, if we do, in a fit of insanity, decide to tell him this, we do NOT tell Dr. Westphalen."

"I see your point."

"Okay, now that it's settled, let's get back to work." McKinnon was leaning against the wall, waiting for them to let her know their decision. "That was fast," she remarked.

"Not a lot to be said," Tim told her.

"And?" she prompted.

"We're in," Tim replied. "No matter what happens."

"You're sure about this?"

"Yes," Lucas insisted. "You trust us enough to take us along; why shouldn't we trust you?" he asked.

"Then we better get back to work."

 

The room went silent as McKinnon entered followed by Lucas and Tim. "The clock is ticking, campers; let's get a solution in place!" she called.

"What did I tell you?" Ryan asked, smiling.

"Go ahead and go back to the computer," McKinnon instructed Lucas. "We're going to need to look at few things before we're through for the evening."

"You're the boss," he told her.

"You're learning," she commented. "Ghost, go ahead and join Slick at the computer; we're going to need to look at the maps again. You can help him stay on top of the requests," she ordered.

"Okay," Rodriguez agreed. "Glad you decided to stay," he whispered to Lucas, taking the seat next to him.

"Not really a tough decision," Lucas remarked.

"I'll remind you of that when we get back."

"So, what do we have?" McKinnon inquired.

"We discussed it, while you were occupied," Rodriguez told her. "We believe water entry is the only way to go. If we drop rafts from the helicopter, we can jump far enough outside Tarsinian surveillance to avoid being detected. When we hit the reef, we can swim in. There's plenty of vegetation to allow for hiding the rafts. It also gives us a way to get the hostages off the island. We go in by land, we're running a huge risk of being detected," he explained.

"Okay. As for checking out the two possible sites, we're going to have to run a reconnaissance team once we land, which means locating a site for the rest of the team to wait."

"We believe we have that figured out," Ryan spoke up.

"Can I have the map?"

"One second," Lucas commented.

"If the team waits here, it will be well within the path to get to both buildings and still be protected from detection. The jungle is pretty thick in these areas, at least from the information we have."

"The big question is who's doing the recon?" Dawson asked.

"Ghost and Sunshine," McKinnon announced, with a certain amount of reluctance.

"You know you can't go, Ice," Rodriguez stated. "It makes no sense."

"That's debatable, but I'm not going to argue."

"She hates being reminded that, as the CO, she's not supposed to endanger her life," Rodriguez muttered to Lucas.

"Once they notify us as to the location of the hostages, we will be moving very fast," McKinnon reminded them. "We will go with standard procedures: enter the building and render any opposition helpless. Hopefully, we can avoid using the gas, but we will carry it just in case. We will not go in with live ammunition. Please remember that, just because we aren't live, it does not mean they won't be. Because of making the water landing, we'll have to change gear on land. I want all of you wearing your vests. I sincerely hope I will not need to check this point. Are we clear?"

"Clear!"

"Good. Because of needing to get the hostages out, we'll have to take three rafts. I don't want to have to leave anyone on the shore. Once the Tarsinians discover they're missing the hostages they are going to be looking for us, which is why we want to try to disable the opposition before they can sound the alarm. We need to buy as much time as possible."

"Are any of the hostages likely to panic?" Chandler ask.

"We hope not, but Einstein will be carrying sedatives to be on the safe side."

"I love my job," Karneering commented.

"Glad to hear it, Einstein," she told him. "We will have the helicopters remain near tp the initial drop point. We will also need to establish an emergency land entrance. If we need to get out of there in a hurry, we'll have to violate their air space."

"That ought to make them happy," Rodriguez muttered.

"Upon entering the building, we will proceed in four teams," McKinnon continued, ignoring Rodriguez. "Team one: Irish, Indy and myself. Team two: Ghost, Sunshine and Slick. Three: Einstein and Brook. Four: Columbus and Casanova. We will discuss precise assignments momentarily."

 

"Slick?" Rodriguez questioned, several hours later. They were still seated at the computer, looking up odd details for the rest. The teenager was leaning forward, staring at the screen and Rodriguez suspected he might be dozing off.

"Yes?" Lucas responded.

"Just checking: you looked like you were taking a nap."

"Why would I need a nap?" Lucas asked sarcastically. "It's oh-two-hundred and we've been up since oh-five-hundred."

"We're going to dismiss pretty soon," Rodriguez assured him. "We've almost finalized the plans."

"Great."

"I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm," Rodriguez told him.

"I certainly hope so."

"All right, I'm going to let you go now," McKinnon announced, having noticed the increasing number of yawns going around the table. "We'll start again at oh-seven-hundred," she instructed, earning a number of groans. "You know the drill, gang."

"Yeah, but you would worry if we didn't whine," Ryan informed her.

 

"I don't think I've ever been quite this tired," Tim remarked, as he and Lucas headed to the barracks with the rest of the unit.

"I'd have to agree."

"I hope you guys are ready for lights out right away," Rodriguez commented, opening their door, "because I just want to go to sleep."

"I think we're all in agreement on that one, Ghost," Lucas told him.

 

Within five minutes, all three were in their bunks, sleeping. An hour later Rodriguez groaned softly, hearing Lucas thrash around in his bed again. He was tempted not to do anything, but he figured it could not be restful sleep. "We have to stop meeting like this, Slick," he spoke softly, gently touching Lucas' shoulder. Lucas was so startled, he would have fallen out of bed, if Rodriguez had not been standing there. "Easy," Rodriguez whispered.

"Why are you waking me up?" Lucas asked, still confused from his dream.

"You were moving around too much; I didn't figure you were having pleasant dreams," Rodriguez informed him.

"I told you, I'm a restless sleeper at times," Lucas reminded him.

Rodriguez gave him a look that clearly said he did not believe the teenager, but he did not pursue the issue. "Well, I don't want you falling out of bed. Ice would probably blame me and it would be hard to explain it to your captain."

"I'd hate for you to get in trouble," Lucas agreed.

"Go back to sleep; I'm too tired for this."

"I didn't wake you up," Lucas hissed.

"You're welcome, Slick," Rodriguez said, returning to his own bed. He waited until he heard Lucas' breathing even out, indicating the boy had gone back to sleep, before he relaxed enough to return to his own slumber.

 

"Oops, sorry about that," Rodriguez apologized, trying hard to ignore the thunderous gazes from Lucas and Tim. "I forgot to reset the alarm," he explained.

"Ghost, we are not amused," Lucas informed him.

"I can see that," he said. "Uh, go back to sleep; I'll reset it for the right time."

"Gee, thanks," Tim mumbled.

"I am sorry, really."

"Shut up, Ghost," Tim ordered grouchily.

 

"Did I hear someone's alarm going off at oh-five-hundred this morning?" Dawson asked.

"Yes, you did," Tim answered shortly.

"Someone forgot to change the alarm clock," Lucas added, with a glare at Rodriguez.

"Gee, anyone want to guess who it was?" Ryan asked. "If it had been me, I would have killed you, Ghost." "It was an honest mistake," he protested.

"You guys look kind of tired," Karneering commented to Lucas and Tim, having missed the previous remarks.

"Trouble sleeping last night?"

"That's one way of looking at it, yes," Tim responded. "Our roommate forgot what time we were getting up this morning, so we had an pre-wake up call at oh-five-hundred."

"Ouch."

"You had to say something, didn't you?" Rodriguez grumbled at Karneering. "It's bad enough I had put up with the griping this morning; I thought I could get an escape from it."

"Just doing my part," Karneering told him.

"I see we're all wide awake this morning," McKinnon greeted, having heard the conversation.

"Not even mildly amusing, Ice," Rodriguez informed her.

"Don't get cranky, Ghost," she advised him. "It's not the right way to start the day."

"No, it's so much better to have the alarm ring two hours early," Lucas muttered.

"Can we just stop giving these two more fuel?" Rodriguez pleaded. "They don't need any help!"

"Perhaps you might want to prepare a sedative," Ryan recommended to Karneering.

"Okay, we're going live at twenty-one hundred. That puts us in the water by twenty-two hundred," McKinnon announced, deciding it was time to get serious. "If all goes according to plan, we will be back here by oh-four-hundred, which means we'll cut this afternoon's work around thirteen hundred. You will grab a few hours sleep; we will dine at eighteen hundred. Then we'll start double checking our gear and getting suited up. Any questions?"

"Not right now," Rodriguez replied.

"Good. Now for those of you who are new," McKinnon began.

"That would be you two," Ryan said, pointing at Lucas and Tim.

"We have a tradition," McKinnon continued, ignoring Ryan, "in which, the day of departure, we contact our families for a brief chat."

"Is that in case we don't come back?" Tim asked bluntly.

"Some thing like that, yes," McKinnon conceded. "We like to call it a morale call though."

"Just checking."

"If I'd asked that you would have kicked me under the table," Lucas groused at him.

"Anyway, let Brook know who you want to call."

"Uh, does it have to be family?" Lucas asked.

"Depends, why?" McKinnon asked, while the rest of the group stared at him in surprise. To most of them it seemed like calling family would be a natural choice, especially for a teenager.

Lucas glanced at Tim, nervously. He didn't usually like to make an issue on this subject, but the last people he wanted to talk to were his parents.

"I think maybe Indy and Slick would like to call seaQuest," Rodriguez interjected quietly, as he kicked Ryan under the table.

"That should be okay, shouldn't it, Ice? As long as they don't reveal our location or our mission," Ryan added, glaring at Rodriguez for kicking her, but willing to follow along.

McKinnon noticed the expression on Rodriguez's face and nodded her head. "Not a problem with me," she agreed. "We'll start the calls at eleven hundred," she added.

"Okay, we need to get some sizes on the wetsuits," Dawson announced to the group. "We'll start with Indy and Slick, since we've never fitted them before."

"Have fun," Adamsen told Lucas and Tim, as they followed Dawson and Chandler to get fitted.

"What was the deal Rodriguez?" Ryan hissed at him.

"Do I have to draw you all a picture?" he asked

rhetorically. "Okay, let's connect the dots, people. Slick is sixteen, seventeen maybe, and he's on a military submarine. He's never mentioned an actual parent being assigned on seaQuest. This to me indicates there is not a close family relationship," he observed. "Why are you all staring at me?"

"We're not used to seeing this sensitive side of you, Ghost," Karneering pointed out. "We're trying to make the transition."

"I think we'd all sort of forgotten about his age," Adamsen added. "He acts a lot older."

"I don't think he's been given much choice," Ryan remarked. "I'd be willing to bet he's spent most of his life with adults."

"I think we're pushing it to call ourselves adults," Karneering interjected, "but I see your point."

 

"Isn't this fun?" Dawson inquired.

"Fun is not the word I would use," Tim informed him, trying to pull the wetsuit on over the other clothes Chandler had given him.

"Please don't say anything we might find offensive," Chandler requested.

"That gives us broad latitude, doesn't it?" Lucas quizzed.

"It's not so bad; some times McKinnon makes us swim with the vests on," Dawson noted.

"What a treat."

"By wearing the T-shirt and pants underneath, we'll save time on the landing. You'll just have to put your jumpsuits and vests on," Chandler explained. "The wetsuits are designed to keep the clothes dry."

"Yes, but are they supposed to cut off your circulation?" Tim questioned.

"We could find you a tighter one," Chandler offered.

"I'll pass."

"Okay, looks good," Dawson told Lucas. "Just a minute. I want to make sure we have a vest that fits you. The others bring their own; we had to borrow yours."

"Although, if you ask nice, we'll let you keep them," Chandler interjected.

"Yes, and how exactly would we explain that to our captain?" Lucas queried. "These are our souvenir vests? Don't panic, they held up just fine."

"So, maybe you don't want to take them with you," Dawson agreed.

 

"The more this goes on, the more I hope the whole thing is classified so tight that they'll never learn a detail," Tim remarked to Lucas, as they rejoined the others.

"No kidding. There are definitely things they do not need to know."

"That's going to be the hard part about talking to them," Tim commented.

"Not being able to tell them anything? Yeah, I know. Maybe they won't ask."

"Sure they won't and Krieg's going to start donating half of his paycheck to charity."

"I see your point. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear."

"That's all we can do. Them knowing where we are is not going to make them feel better."

"True."

 

"So who do you call?" Lucas asked Rodriguez, as they sat, scanning files for last minute information.

"My sister," he answered.

"Not your parents?"

"Elena and I are twins, so I call her. She understands what I do. It's hard on my mother if I call her before a mission. She doesn't like to be reminded of what I do."

"What's your sister do?"

"She works with a fire unit. My parents aren't too keen on her job either."

"I can see why," Lucas told him.

"We both know what we're doing. I like my job," Rodriguez explained. "I'm good at it and I get a lot of satisfaction."

"A psychologist would say you have a secret desire to commit suicide," Lucas pointed out.

"They say that about all Outriggers. It's not true. We just accept the risks that come with our job. A good psychologist would say you and Indy were even more insane. This isn't your job, but you're coming along anyway."

"We weren't going to leave you guys."

"Loyalty is an admirable quality," he agreed.

 

"No, please don't say it that way," Tim corrected Adamsen. "I think you've just issued a dire insult," he added, as they sat reviewing some of the phrases they had picked up.

"I think hand signals are definitely going to be the way to go," Adamsen mumbled, feeling frustrated.

"Just hope we don't encounter anyone," Tim suggested. "We still have to review the words. Just in case," he added at her look. "We may need to identify signs in the building."

"Great. Although, I feel fairly confident there will not be a sign that reads 'the hostages are here'. I could be wrong, though."

"Trouble?" McKinnon questioned, joining them.

"Not really. But I'm having trouble getting the words right; I don't see how anyone else is going to learn," Adamsen complained.

"Well, hopefully, we won't need it. If we do, the rest of us will have to rely on you two," McKinnon told her.

"That's an image that does not fill me with comfort," Adamsen informed her. "Indy will be fine. I will probably get us all shot."

"How's your sign language?" McKinnon asked Tim.

"I know the basics," he replied.

"What about Slick?"

"He knows the basics, I think," Tim hesitated; he wasn't sure that the sign language Lucas used with Darwin sometimes was standard. "Why?"

"We tend to use it in the field. All Outriggers are fluent," McKinnon explained. "We've learned there are times when we need to observe radio silence."

"As long as you don't get too complicated, I think we'll be fine."

"Good," she remarked. "I have to go see what Ghost and Slick are doing. It's been too quiet over there," she added, with a nod in the direction of Lucas and Rodriguez.

 

"What do you want?" Rodriguez asked McKinnon, as she approached.

"Just checking to see how things are going. Why are you blocking the screen?" she questioned.

"I'm not blocking anything," Rodriguez protested. "You're really suspicious, you know that?"

"Ghost, that's because with you, I've learned to be. What are you up to?"

"Nothing," Rodriguez denied hastily.

"You know, if it 's one thing I've learned in the time we've worked together, it's not to trust you when you tell me 'nothing' in answer to a question."

"We could get you counseling for that," he offered hopefully.

"Slick?" McKinnon tapped Lucas on the shoulder. "I know I'm going to regret this, but what are you doing?"

"Just taking a look at some files," Lucas hedged slightly.

"Any files in particular?"

"UEO files," he admitted.

"Do I really want to pursue this?" she questioned.

"Probably not," Lucas told her.

"Is it going to get me in trouble?"

"No," Lucas assured her quickly.

"Is it going to get anyone else in this room in trouble?"

"No."

"Are we operating in the gray area?" McKinnon queried, although she feared the answer.

"No, I think it's pretty safe to say we left the gray area about three files ago," Lucas confirmed.

"I'm assuming it's related to this mission?"

"I'm searching for any hidden files that might be in use by the UEO regarding this particular assignment."

"It was my idea," Rodriguez interjected, sensing McKinnon might be annoyed.

"I was just curious, since they seem to be unable to stick to a policy."

"They'll never know I was there," Lucas offered.

"Don't say another word," McKinnon ordered. "I don't want to know any more details. If you find anything we can use, let me know."

"It will take some time," Lucas explained. "I'm going to run a cross reference; it may not turn up anything until we come back," he added.

"Fine."

"Keep it up, Slick, and Ice will want to take you back with us," Rodriguez remarked after McKinnon had walked away.

"She'll have to fight Bridger for me and I'm inclined to let him win."

"Ah, you know you like us."

"That doesn't mean I want to take up permanent residence with you."

 

Bridger sat in the wardroom, trying to make sense of the recent orders from the UEO regarding negotiations with the Tarsinians. Waiting patiently outside Tarsinian waters for the government to open relations did not make him happy. While he appreciated the logic of doing so, he questioned the UEO's motives. He suspected there were other forces at work, which he did not understand.

"Bridger, here," he said, answering the comm unit.

"You have a call, sir," Ford reported from the bridge.

"Who is it?"

"It's a secure transmission, sir. There's no identifying location and the person won't give their name."

"I assume it's not the Tarsinians?"

"It's a UEO signal, sir."

"Patch it through," Bridger requested, his curiosity piqued. "Commander McKinnon, " he greeted, recognizing the woman from their original conversation regarding the temporary assignment of Lucas and Tim.

"Captain Bridger," McKinnon returned. "You'll get to talk to Wolenczak and O'Neil momentarily," she tripped over their names, having grown used to their nicknames. "But I wanted a few word with you first."

"Why the secrecy?"

"Standard procedure, sir. We are currently engaged in a field assignment and such precautions are necessary."

"Forgive me if I'm not comforted by that."

"I understand, sir."

"Do you, Commander? You currently have two of my people on some kind of classified mission and I can't even know where they're at."

"I do understand. I've had members of my team assigned elsewhere in the past."

"That's part of your job, Commander. My crew were sent as a loan. There was no mention of them being deployed."

McKinnon nodded her head; she was not going to try to justify the decisions of her superiors. "I'm calling to assure that I will do everything in my power to insure that nothing happens to either Wolenczak or O'Neil."

Bridger studied her for a moment and read the sincerity in her eyes and her stance. "I certainly hope so, Commander, because you will have to answer, not only to me, but to the rest of this crew if anything happens to either one," he promised.

"I suspected as much, sir," McKinnon told him. "Now, I'm going to put the two of them on. Do them, and yourself, a favor; do not ask them where they are or what they're doing. They are not allowed to tell you and we will cut the transmission if we feel the integrity of our mission is threatened."

"Understood, Commander," Bridger assented, reluctantly. He was not pleased about the restrictions, but he did want the chance to talk to Lucas and Tim. Bridger had no doubt that McKinnon would cancel the call if they did not follow the rules.

 

"Hi, Captain," Tim greeted him, somewhat nervously, moments later, as he and Lucas appeared on the vid-screen.

Bridger felt momentarily stunned; he had not anticipated seeing them wearing the Outrigger uniform.

"How are you?" he finally asked, not knowing where else to start.

"We're fine. How are you?"

"I'll be a lot better when I have both of you back on seaQuest," Bridger acknowledged.

"We're looking forward to coming back ourselves," Lucas informed him.

"I tried to get you back."

"We know," Tim assured him. "However, they did warn of us of the possibility when we arrived," he admitted.

"No one, not even the Outriggers, expected it to happen," Lucas added. "Commander McKinnon tried her best to get them to relent on the regulations."

"Well, I wish she'd been successful," Bridger sighed. "I'm sorry your leave turned out this way. I'll make it up to you when you get back."

"We'll hold you to that, sir," Tim remarked. "Don't worry too much about us; the Outriggers are a good unit."

Bridger nodded thoughtfully. "So, I've been told. However, I think the entire ship will feel better when you two are back where you belong."

"How is everyone?" Lucas inquired.

"They're doing fine. I imagine you two are in for a lot of questions when you get back. By the way, I don't know if this is classified or not, so I'll ask; is there some kind of armament clause with the Outriggers?"

Lucas and Tim looked at one another and then over at McKinnon, who sat in the corner, monitoring the call. She gave them a smile and the assent that they could answer the question.

"Where did you hear about that?" Tim asked, wanting to avoid answering the question outright.

"Lieutenant Krieg mentioned it," Bridger responded. "And you didn't answer my question."

"Yes, sir, there is an armament clause," Lucas confessed; like Tim he had hoped the captain would be distracted from the question.

"I was hoping he was wrong," Bridger sighed. "However, I don't think I'll be informing Dr. Westphalen that you've confirmed it. Are you okay with it?" he asked Lucas.

"I'm not real happy with the idea, but I'm adjusting," Lucas replied, grateful the captain had not heard about the jumping part of being with the Outriggers. "They, uh, had us do some practice simulations," he added.

"Oh?"

"Yes, and we discovered that Lucas has a pretty good eye for the target," Tim interjected, earning an elbow in the side from Lucas.

Bridger was not sure he found that piece of news comforting. "Well, I guess it's always good to learn new things about yourself," he finally conceded, not sure how else to react.

"Trust me, sir; it's been a learning experience."

"Glad to hear something useful is coming from this," Bridger remarked. "I'll be looking forward to a full report upon your return. I think there are some others that would like to say hi, so I'm going to call them."

A few minutes later, Ford and Miguel appeared on screen. "Hi guys," Tim greeted with a smile.

"Nice uniform, Lucas" Miguel teased. "Just don't get too comfortable in it."

"I'm not planning on it," Lucas assured him.

"You look different," Ford told both of them.

"Well, in the Outriggers, you play by their rules," Tim observed. "That includes the clothes."

"You like it?" Ford asked, curious.

"It's different. I don't plan on asking for a transfer when we get back."

"You'd better not; I need someone to beat at poker," Miguel interjected. The poker game was not the real issue, but Miguel found it easier to bring up than to come out and tell his friends that he was worried about them.

"Be careful," Ford warned them. "Don't take any risks."

"We haven't been here long enough for that; we'll leave that to the Outriggers, sir," Lucas commented, earning a chuckle from McKinnon.

"I sincerely hope you're behaving yourself," Ford told him.

Tim snickered, thinking about the numerous exchanges between Lucas and Rodriguez and what kind of reaction that would provoke.

"I haven't gotten into any trouble since I've been assigned here, Commander," Lucas retorted, glaring at Tim.

"Sounds like Tim might disagree," Miguel observed.

"Do I need to bring a note from Commander McKinnon when I come back?"

"It might help," Ford said, flashing a quick smile. "We have to let some of the others in now."

"Okay, talk to you later."

"Thanks a lot, Krieg," Tim said, as Ben and Katie took their turns.

"What did I do?" he asked.

"If you knew about the armament clause, did you have to mention it?" Lucas asked him.

"Hey, I'm sorry. We're sitting in the wardroom and Bridger drops this bombshell. The first image that pops into my head is that they're going to give you a gun," Ben defended himself.

"He's already taken a lot of heat, guys," Katie added.

"Good," Tim said. "We were really hoping not to explain that one."

"You guys okay?" Katie asked.

"We're fine."

"Crocker said to tell you hi," Ben interjected. "He's in the middle of some security simulation. He said you'd understand."

"Tell him hi for us, then. We'll see you guys soon, I hope."

"Yeah, well, the doctor's waiting to talk to you now," Katie informed them. "So we'll see you later. Take care."

"We will."

"You look tired," Kristin stated. "Don't they let you get any sleep?"

"No, we just stay up all night," Lucas answered sarcastically.

"Don't get smart," she ordered, giving him a stern look. "I've already marked you both down for complete physicals," she told them.

The duo heard McKinnon snicker from the corner and wished they could shoot her a dirty look.

"We had a physical before we left, and we'll get another one from the Outriggers; can't you use their records?" Tim grumbled.

"I'm sure I could, but I want to check you for myself."

"Something to look forward to, I guess," Lucas sighed.

"Be careful: I could quarantine you both," she warned.

Lucas and Tim looked at each other, while McKinnon laughed again. "That won't be necessary, doctor," Tim assured her. "We'll come quietly."

"Good. I've let Admiral Noyce know exactly what I thought of this assignment."

"I'm sure you did," Lucas mumbled, earning a sharp jab from Tim.

"What was that, young man?" Kristin demanded.

"I'm glad that you did," Lucas corrected hastily. "I'd hate for anyone else to get stuck in this position."

Kristin's look told him she didn't buy his story, but she let it go. "Are you eating enough?"

"Yes, the commander makes us take regular breaks," Tim explained. "She's even learned to tear Lucas away from the computer."

"Very good. I'd like to talk her, too."

"We'll, uh , let her know."

Kristin looked at them closely. "Well, I'll let the captain get back on," she said. "Take care of yourselves; we'll be waiting for you to come back."

"We'll be fine," Tim reassured, which Lucas echoed with a quick nod.

They talked for a few more minutes with Bridger.

"Listen, we have to go, sir," Tim said.

"I hope to see you soon. And take care of yourselves; we want you back safe," Bridger instructed softly.

"We'll be fine, Captain," Lucas assured him. "We'll be back before you can really miss us."

"Too late for that," Bridger said. "Just be careful."

"We will," Tim promised.

 

"They put in them in uniform?" Kristin asked, once the link had faded.

"It surprised me too, Doctor," Bridger remarked. "I imagine they had to; it's probably a regulation."

"I'd like to tell them what I think of their regulations."

"According to Noyce, you've already done a good job of that."

"I just expressed my opinion."

"Rather vocally. They seem all right."

"Of course. Did you think they were going to beg you to come rescue them?" Kristin inquired, her temper flaring.

"No," he admitted. "However, they sounded fine. Neither one looked tense."

"I still don't like it."

"I don't either, but we're stuck with it. We just have to hope for the best. Commander McKinnon assured me she would do her best to insure their safety."

"I certainly hope so."

 

"I think, if we meet your crew, I'm changing identities with Ghost for a while," McKinnon said, as they left the room. "I do not want to meet your doctor in a dark alley."

"She'd sure like to meet you," Lucas pointed out.

"Thank you, Slick. Your captain isn't too keen on me either."

"You'd be the same way if Ghost and Sunshine were on loan to seaQuest," Tim observed.

"I know; that's why I tried to assure your captain that it's going to be okay," she commented, letting them precede her into the main room. "All right, we're going to review the plan one more time, then you all can get some sleep." There were sighs of relief at the announcement.

 

"Try to set the alarm for the right time, please," Lucas instructed Rodriguez, as the trio arrived back at their room.

"You're not going to let me forget it, are you?" Rodriguez sighed. "Indy, we're supposed to go inside, not out," he added, as Tim prepared to leave the room again.

"I'll be back, just want to brush my teeth," Tim explained.

"That's okay, then. Just be quiet on your way in; I plan to be asleep by then."

"You have to get the light," Lucas reminded him.

"Who put me in charge of that detail?"

"We held an election and you won."

"I wasn't present."

"Still two to one."

"Great. You going to sleep okay?" Rodriguez asked.

"I told you-"

"I know what you told me, Slick. But I have a feeling there's some details you've left out," Rodriguez remarked. "You know, Einstein could probably give you something."

"I'll pass on the drug therapy, thank you," Lucas said tersely.

Rodriguez looked at him. "Okay, just a thought. Don't want you falling asleep while we're in the field."

"Not likely."

"Are you two still at it?" Tim inquired, returning to the room.

"We just finished," Lucas assured him, climbing into the top bunk.

"For now."

"Good night," Tim told them. "You did set the alarm, didn't you, Ghost?"

"Yes!"

"Touchy, isn't he?"

"I thought you were the one that wanted to go to bed," Lucas pointed out.

"I was just being sociable."

"Now is not the time for socializing."

"You never want me to have any fun," Tim complained.

"Both of you be quiet," Rodriguez ordered. "You're worse than kids."

"Yes, Dad!" Lucas and Tim responded in unison.

"Why me?" Rodriguez groaned, burying his head in the pillow.

 

The alarm jolted all three awake. "Didn't we just go to bed?" Rodriguez asked.

"Unfortunately, no," Tim replied. "I suppose that if we don't get up, Ice will send someone in after us."

"No. She'll come in herself. And that is not something you want to witness," Rodriguez told him. "Just pull on your sweats. We're going to come back and get all our gear on after we review one more time."

"Sounds like fun," Lucas remarked.

"Oh, it is; you've never had fun until you've had Ice do an equipment inspection," Rodriguez assured him. "She gets downright cranky if you're not up to spec."

"Why do I have the feeling this is something you witness on a regular basis?"

"Because you like to think the worst of me. It wounds me deeply."

"Yeah, right."

"You doubt me?"

"I'm so happy I'm not assigned to a team with you two; I feel sorry for Sunshine," Tim remarked.

"Well, once I heard about your shooting, I didn't want you," Rodriguez said.

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Wait up a minute," McKinnon called, as the trio prepared to leave the barracks. "I need to talk to Slick and Indy," she explained. "You can go ahead, Ghost."

"Okay, we'll save you some food," Rodriguez said.

"What is it?" Tim asked.

"There's one more thing I have to review with you. Let's take a seat."

"We're not going to like it, are we?" Lucas questioned.

"Well, it's not something to like or dislike, really," she commented. "But it's something I have to address."

Lucas and Tim looked at one another nervously and focused their attention on McKinnon. "Go ahead," Tim encouraged.

"The first article in the Outrigger Code of Conduct relates to a unit member's behavior in case of capture," she told them. "In case of capture, you are not to reveal any information about yourself, not even your name. That's why we have the nicknames. You are not to name your unit or indicate any affiliation with the UEO. Any members of the team that remain free must be able to depend on you maintaining the integrity of the mission. You are to follow the lead of the senior office held hostage with you," she instructed. "Do you understand?"

"Yes," they answered in unison.

"I think that's the last item we have to cover, at least, until debriefing."

"I certainly hope so," Tim remarked.

 

"Here, I got you some," Rodriguez told Lucas, handing him a plate. "They saved the good stuff for our last night here," he added.

Lucas looked at the pizza. "I'm not so sure about that."

"Remember, if you eat real fast, you'll never know the difference," Ryan advised.

"As a doctor, I have to advise against that," Karneering told him.

"What about as a regular person?" Dawson questioned.

"He's not a regular person, Casanova. He's a doctor," Chandler interjected.

"How could I forget?"

"Ice gave you the Article One lecture, didn't she?" Rodriguez inquired.

"Yes, she did," Tim replied. "Please tell me that's the last surprise."

"I'm afraid I can't. As soon as I do, HQ will come up with another."

"At least let it hold off until we leave."

"Hey, we plan on keeping both of you and ourselves safe on this mission," Rodriguez informed them.

"So far, nothing's gone according to plan," Lucas observed.

"Don't be a pessimist, Slick."

"I am being optimistic."

 

McKinnon let them linger over dinner a little bit longer than normal. She could already feel the energy building among the team. "Okay, we are going to review the plan one more time," she announced. "Then we'll begin an equipment check. After that, it will be time to get dressed. Inspection will be at twenty-thirty. We are taking three rafts in order to accommodate the additional people that we will have returning with us. They are six man rafts, so we should be fine. We will go into the rafts by team assignments to keep things straight, the only difference being that raft number three will hold teams three and four," she announced. "As for communications, channel one remains the open frequency; each team takes the next number down. In other words, team one will use channel two, team two will be on channel three, and so on," she continued. "Casanova?"

"As usual, you will each be given a locator with a signal identified strictly for you. Try to keep this activated at all times; this will let us track you, in case there is a problem," Dawson explained.

"Once we are inside the building, we are committed to the mission," Ryan declared, looking at the group. "So everyone needs to be clear that all systems are normal prior to entry."

"Sunshine is right; we cannot afford to abort once we are engaged," McKinnon stated. "Once the hostages are located, you are to clear them of the building first, notifying the other teams as you progress. Our priority is their release; do not wait for the rest of the team. While we will jump from Eagle, Hawk will be standing by in the event that we need to have two pick ups."

Lucas looked across the table at Tim, searching for reassurance. He had known this moment was coming; they had made a commitment and he would do his part. However, it did not make him any less nervous.

"When will we drop the rafts?" Karneering asked.

"After Sunshine and Indy jump; then you, Sunshine and I will keep out of the jump path until the rest of you go," McKinnon informed him. "Although the gear is waterproof, we still need those of you on top to make sure they land right side up."

"We'll do our best," Rodriguez assured her.

"Good. Any questions?" she inquired. "Okay, take a few minutes to relax or review any data you want. In thirty, we'll dismiss and get ready. Ghost and Irish, you will need to make sure that you help the new guys," she instructed.

"Of course," Rodriguez told her.

 

"We're really going to do this, aren't we?" Lucas mumbled to Tim, a few minutes later. They were at the computer, where Lucas was checking on the program he had been running through the UEO files. Tim had followed along just because he had a feeling that this the last quiet time they would have for a while.

"Yes. And part of me is still asking 'what were we thinking?' when we agreed," Tim remarked.

"I know that feeling," Lucas agreed.

"You going to be okay?"

"Yeah."

"I guess, if we have to be here, at least we're together."

"Next time, I think we should let someone else in on the fun," Lucas told him.

"Is this a private conversation or can I interrupt?" Rodriguez asked.

"You already have," Lucas pointed out.

"I'm glad you haven't lost your attitude, Slick," Rodriguez commented. "How's that thing doing?" he inquired, nodding at the computer.

"Nothing, yet. But it's still searching."

"How will you know if it turns up something while we're gone?" McKinnon questioned, joining them.

"I set it automatically down load. If it finds anything, it will put all files in this directory," Lucas explained, showing her the directory.

"That makes sense."

"I do my best."

"Listen, it's time to start getting ready to leave," McKinnon advised them.

"All right. You guys ready?" Rodriguez asked them.

"As we'll ever be," Tim replied.

"That's the spirit."

"I'll see you guys at inspection," McKinnon told the trio, as they, and the rest of the unit, filed out of the room.

"I'll get Indy and Slick ready, Irish, then meet up with you to review the gear," Rodriguez instructed Chandler.

"Sounds good to me."

 

"Okay, first things first," Rodriguez began, once they were inside their room, "remove all tags which might identify you or your participation in the UEO. We don't carry identification on missions."

"How do you identify the bodies then?" Lucas muttered under his breath, as he complied.

"I didn't quite catch that," Rodriguez informed him.

"I didn't say a word," Lucas protested.

"Sure, Slick. We'll get into the wetsuits once we board the helicopter, but before we take off," Rodriguez explained.

"Now that sounds like fun, ten of us in the helicopter trying to get wetsuits on," Tim remarked.

"Oh good, now you've started," Rodriguez sighed. "I advise you to get them on quickly, because we will leave right on schedule, trying to dress when we're the air is even harder."

"Thanks for the warning."

"Any time. You'll take the black hats, without the triangle on them. Ice decided to go for all black rather than jungle attire this round."

"What about the jumpsuits?" Tim asked.

"The triangle stays on, unless you're captured, then it comes off as quickly as possible."

"How do you learn all the rules?" Lucas inquired.

"It comes with experience, Slick. And I've been captured before," Rodriguez admitted.

"Sorry."

"It was before I joined the Blues. In fact, it's what led to my transfer."

"Oh."

"My unit was disbanded after we repudiated our commanding officer," Rodriguez enlightened them further.

"You can do that?" Tim quizzed, surprised.

"We risk our lives on every mission; some are more dangerous than the one we're doing now. If you cannot trust your CO to effectively lead you through the assignment, then it's time to get a new one. Our CO should have not have ordered the engagement and received advice to that fact. He chose not to listen. That's why I like Ice; she's good and she would never ask anyone on this team to do anything she wouldn't do herself. And she'll put her life on the line to make sure we all come back," he stated, while he checked their clothing. "Anyway the Outriggers have a clause that allows them to get rid of their commander if he no longer has the unit's trust. You can't use it to get rid of someone just because you don't like them personally. It's not that easy; I've had commanders I didn't like, but I wouldn't get rid of them."

"Do they disband the unit when you repudiate the CO?" Lucas queried.

"No, usually they just replace the CO, and keep the unit in place. However, we had heavy casualties; there wasn't enough of the unit available for field work." With that comment, Rodriguez ended the conversation, deciding it was probably not the best topic to be discussing. "You'll do, for a couple of rookies," he teased, looking them over one more time. "Grab your bags and we'll check with Irish, make sure we're set."

 

"Okay, here's your locator; it goes inside the T-shirt," Chandler instructed. "Casanova, help Slick, while I get Indy."

"What about me?" Rodriguez whined.

"You can do your own," Dawson reminded him. "We only help the new guys," he added, reaching inside the top of Lucas' shirt and attaching the small locator on the shoulder seam. "Try not to remove it. It's our best bet to find you again."

"I think we both sincerely hope to avoid getting lost," Tim assured him.

"That's usually the best policy," Chandler agreed. "We're hoping for the best at the site, so we're not going to jump with weapons," he told them.

"Some times you do?" Lucas questioned.

"Unless we're going into a fire. We've learned that guns and fire don't mix," Rodriguez commented, earning glares from both Dawson and Chandler. "What?"

"Some things are better left unsaid, Ghost," Dawson told him.

"There's something to be said for honest and open communication," Rodriguez protested.

"Ghost," Ryan warned from behind him.

"I just made an innocent comment."

"Right," she said. "Ice wants to talk to you for a moment."

"Great. What did I do now?"

"Things should move faster now," Dawson remarked, watching Rodriguez leave.

 

"What?" Rodriguez asked McKinnon.

"Just want to review a few details with you," McKinnon told him.

"Oh?"

"Yes, we're going into a touchy situation and that's why I put Slick with you and Ryan."

"I know. I'll do my best to keep my eye on him and make sure I do my job," Rodriguez assured her.

"Please do, because I do not want to explain it to anyone on seaQuest if either one of them gets so much as a scratch," McKinnon remarked. "But that's only one part of it."

"What?" he questioned warily; he recognized that McKinnon was wearing her command face, one of the things that had earned her the nickname Ice.

"If anything goes wrong, you have to follow the protocols and the Code without question. Regardless of who is with you," McKinnon stated. "Are you clear on that?"

"Yes. I won't endanger the mission if it comes to that."

"We can't afford special treatment, even under these circumstances, Ghost."

"I know, Ice. It's part of our job."

 

"Okay, it looks like you're all set," Dawson said, attaching a tag to their bags. "The color indicates it's your gear. This way we don't have to put names on it and we don't have to try to guess which one is which. You have red," he told Lucas, "and you have yellow," he said to Tim.

"All right."

"It's going to be okay, guys," Ryan assured them softly. "We've done this hundreds of times; we know what we're doing."

"It doesn't bother you, having us along?" Lucas questioned.

"No," Dawson answered. "You've both proven yourselves. You'll do the best you can; we know that."

"Casanova's right," Chandler interjected. "You could have walked away and you didn't. We know you're committed and that's often half the battle."

"We need you," Ryan stated simply. "Now we better get this show moving; Ice gets cranky when we don't meet her schedule."

 

"Line up by team!" McKinnon yelled at the unit as they prepared for inspection.

"Okay, let's count it off!"

"Just follow me," Chandler told Tim, who stood next to him. "Irish, team one!"

"Indy, team one!"

"Ghost, team two!"

"Slick, team two!" Lucas found the situation kind of strange, but he figured it was a little late to back out.

"Sunshine, team two!"

"Einstein, team three!"

"Brook, team three!"

"Casanova, team four!"

"Columbus, team four!"

"Ice, team one!" McKinnon finished. "Okay, please perform one final check, before I do the inspection," she instructed.

"Are we having fun, yet?" Ryan asked Lucas, as she checked to make sure he was ready.

"I'm not sure that's the word I would choose," he informed her.

"You'll be fine," Rodriguez muttered. "Now be quiet; Ice is on the line. She gets irritated by extraneous conversation."

Lucas watched as McKinnon approached Chandler and the whole unit came to attention. All relaxed postures disappeared. He saw her lean close to Chandler, but couldn't hear what she said.

Tim stood rigidly, noticing how McKinnon's eyes seemed to take in everything at once. He almost jumped as she leaned in, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Relax, Indy," she said softly into his ear, "and remember, don't shoot anyone on the team."

He looked at her and saw the grin in her eyes. "I'll do my best," he promised.

"And if you do miss, hit Ghost; maybe it will shut him up."

Tim had a hard time not laughing, especially since Rodriguez heard the last part and growled.

"You'll do, Ghost," McKinnon told him quietly.

"Although you might think about a haircut when we get back," she advised.

"Yes, Commander," he said, his lips twitching; he wondered what she was going to say to Lucas.

Lucas, by now, had figured out that this was some kind of tradition; he just wasn't sure what McKinnon was saying to everyone. He had noticed that the other three were masking smiles.

"Slick, normally I'd say something kind of silly here, but I figure you'll get enough of that from being on Ghost's team," McKinnon informed him. "So, I'm going to say you have a lot of guts for staying with us and keep giving Ghost a hard time; he deserves it. That's an order."

"I'll try to follow it to the letter," Lucas assured her.

"Knew I could count on you."

 

"Okay, let's get moving, campers!" McKinnon called, having finished the inspection. "Get on the helicopter and get the wetsuits on. We deploy in fifteen minutes."

"So, what did she tell you?" Rodriguez asked Lucas, as they attached their headset equipment before struggling into their wetsuits. He was kind of curious, since McKinnon usually had something she teased everyone about. However, he knew McKinnon was sensitive enough not to joke about making the jump.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be any fun."

"I'll get it out of you eventually," he threatened.

"You can try," Lucas told him.

"I want to do a radio check," McKinnon announced, once they all sat down. "We want to make sure you're all on line."

"Irish," Chandler responded.

"Brook."

"Einstein."

"Ghost."

"Slick."

"Indy."

"Casanova."

"Columbus."

"Sunshine."

"And we already know mine works," McKinnon said. "Casanova, go ahead and run a locator check to make sure we'll still working."

"Okay, I have two people not on line," Dawson announced. "Einstein, did you turn yours on yet?"

"Of course," he replied. "Well, maybe not," he added, as he checked his device.

"The other reason we call him Einstein," Adamsen said.

"Ghost, check Slick's. I'm not getting a reading."

"Maybe it's not turned on," Karneering suggested.

"I put it on him," Dawson informed him.

"You're not perfect."

"Sorry," Rodriguez mumbled to Lucas, as he adjusted the locator and accidentally jabbed him in the shoulder. "How about now?" he requested. "Please don't tell me you gave the rookie a broken one."

"He's on line, must be kind of sensitive," Dawson said, looking at his computer screen.

"Does Ghost's work?" McKinnon asked.

"Yes," Dawson answered.

"Ghost, trade with Slick," she ordered.

"Why do I have to trade?" he complained.

"Because, if we're going to lose someone, she'd rather it was you," Ryan told him.

"Thank you for your support, Sunshine," Rodriguez grumbled.

"Let me help," Hallowell told Lucas, helping get the new locator placed on his T-shirt."

"Thanks."

"You guys switched?" Dawson inquired.

"Just a minute. No one's helping me," Rodriguez whined.

"You're beyond help," Karneering told him.

"Okay, we're done."

Dawson shook his head. "Murphy's Law," he mumbled.

"What's wrong, Casanova?" Hallowell asked, moving to look over his shoulder.

"Is there a problem?" McKinnon requested.

"We don't have the others, do we?" Hallowell questioned Dawson.

"Nope. ,You know the stats," Dawson mumbled.

"I wasn't talking to myself," McKinnon reminded them.

"Uh, sorry Commander, just a second. Slick, I need you to reposition your locator; I'll tell you when to stop," Dawson instructed. "I want you to pull your shirt away from your skin. Okay, stop. Columbus use this on top: see if that won't block it," he ordered, handing Hallowell a roll of white tape.

"Hold still, otherwise I'm going to end up taping you everywhere else," Hallowell told Lucas.

"Slick is apparently one of the two percent of individuals that does not have a favorable reaction to these type of locators," Dawson finally explained to McKinnon and the rest of the group. "We should have tested it before we decided to go with this type, but less than two percent have the problem. I've never seen this type of reaction before. I think if we keep his skin from touching it, then we can get the reading. It has to do with his internal chemistry."

"We will discuss this later," McKinnon told him; her voice had a hard edge to it and no one wanted to be in his place when they did.

"Yes, Commander."

"You got him now?" Hallowell asked softly.

"Yeah, we're okay," Dawson replied.

"You always have to be different, don't you?" Tim remarked to Lucas quietly.

"Apparently."

"I'll be right back," Rodriguez told them, noticing that McKinnon was looking at him.

 

"Hey, Sunshine, how are you feeling?" Adamsen asked, moving towards the back, as Rodriguez moved up front. She figured McKinnon wanted a private word with Rodriguez.

"I'm doing fine. Just as long as we don't hit any turbulence," Ryan replied. "Don't feel too bad, Casanova; she's going to nail me, too," she whispered to Dawson.

"I should have checked it; Murphy's Law says if it's going to go wrong, it will," he mumbled. "It was my responsibility. At the very least, I should have brought a back up."

"It happens, Casanova," Adamsen told him. "Accept it and go forward."

 

"Ice seemed a little upset," Lucas commented to Tim.

"I think I fully understand the name now," he agreed. "And I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end."

 

"Why wasn't that checked before we left, Ghost?" McKinnon asked him.

"I don't know, Commander," Rodriguez answered, knowing she had every right to be angry. "I'm sorry."

"We'll go into that later. Right now, we just have to deal with it. When we go in, I want you or Sunshine with him at all times," she ordered. "If I see him, one of you better be right there, because we can't take the chance of losing his signal and him getting separated. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Commander," Rodriguez acknowledged. There were very few times when McKinnon pulled rank; when she did, he knew better than to argue.

"Good. Now tell Casanova I want to talk to him."

"Uh-.." Rodriguez hesitated.

"I'm not going to chew him out now, Ghost."

 

"She wants to see you," Rodriguez told Dawson.

"Great," he sighed.

"Life is not going to be happy when we get back to base," Rodriguez sighed. "She said she wants one of us with him at all times; she doesn't want him getting separated and the signal failing," he instructed Ryan.

"She's the boss."

 

"I'm sorry," Dawson started, as soon as he faced McKinnon.

"We'll discuss that later," she told him. "Right now, we move forward. And remember you aren't the only responsible for those details. Ghost and Sunshine should have caught it and I should have, too," she admitted, which was why she was upset. She knew that, ultimately, she was responsible for the team and its safety.

"But I should have-"

"We don't have time for should have, Casanova," McKinnon said firmly. "We have to let it go for now. We will discuss how this will not happen again when we return."

 

"Is everything okay?" Lucas asked, when Rodriguez sat down next to him again.

"For the moment. Ice is not a real happy camper. Hopefully, this will be the only error on this mission," Rodriguez informed him. "Mainly she's mad at herself. She takes her responsibilities personally. She thinks she should have caught the oversight. She'll come down just hard enough to make sure that none of us make the mistake again. As second in command, I should have checked it; as security chief, Sunshine should have made sure it was clear. And, as the person in charge of the locators and tracking, Dawson, should have been prepared for this problem. So, the three of us are in for a long talk."

"Oh."

"Not your fault, Slick," Rodriguez assured him. "You didn't know."

 

"It's your turn," Dawson informed Lucas.

"Just nod your head and say 'yes, Commander,' a lot and it will be fine," Rodriguez instructed, noticing that Lucas looked nervous.

"Ghost," Dawson hissed. "Don't listen to him, " he advised Lucas.

"I don't whenever possible," Lucas told him, walking up to where McKinnon was seated.

"What does she want-?" Tim started.

"To make sure he's okay with this new development. She wants him to be comfortable with things as they stand now and to let him know what we're going to do to make sure it doesn't become a problem. He's not in trouble," Ryan interrupted before Tim finished his question.

 

"Have a seat," McKinnon told him; as with the others, she was not speaking through her headset. She had no desire to broadcast the conversations to the unit. "Relax; you're not in trouble," she added, noting the tense look on his face.

Lucas sat down and looked at her. "I feel like I should have known."

"Now you do," McKinnon stated. "We'll deal with it. I'm just sorry we didn't know before we left. But that's not the issue now. Right now, the locator is working. However, there are no guarantees. Even when they're functioning perfectly, you get glitches."

"All right."

"Now, we're going to what we can to make sure that you don't get separated from us. This means that you need to stay in sight of Ghost and Sunshine at all times. If you get separated from them, find someone else on the team immediately," she ordered.

"Yes, Commander," Lucas responded. Since she was using her command voice, it seemed like the appropriate comment.

"This should not be a problem, since we tend to stay in sight of one another without difficulty. However, I don't like surprises."

Lucas nodded his head and resisted the urge to make a remark; it did not seem like the time for it. "I understand."

"Are you okay with the jump?" McKinnon asked quietly, studying him while he took a moment to consider his answer.

"I would be a lot happier if we weren't jumping," he admitted. "But we are, so I will."

"At least you're honest," McKinnon said. "I wish there was some other way we could do this."

"I know you didn't have much of a choice in the matter," Lucas told her. "It is the best way to land undetected. I'd rather be scared out of my mind than have the Tarsinians see us."

"Well, I know why Ghost likes you," McKinnon remarked. "You have his kind of outlook," she added when Lucas looked at her strangely.

"I like to keep things in perspective."

"Listen, don't let anything rush you. Our time-table isn't so full that you have to go before you're ready. Once we hit the water, we aren't going anywhere."

"I'll try not to hold things up too long," Lucas promised.

"All right, you can go relax."

"I'm not sure relax is the right word. At least not when it concerns me jumping out a helicopter," Lucas observed.

"Maybe not, but Indy looks like he's going to hyperventilate," McKinnon noted, having seen Tim's anxious looks at them. "So you might get him to relax, once he's realized that I did not do anything to hurt you."

"He feels kind of protective, since we're here together, away from seaQuest," Lucas confessed, somewhat embarrassed.

"In his place, I'd feel the same way," McKinnon informed him, not bothering to mention that Outrigger Blue already felt that way about both him and Tim.

They had all witnessed outsiders in other units before; usually it was a disaster. The visitors did not try to fit in and the team tended to shun them. Lucas and Tim had made an effort to work with the group, accepting the regulations without complaint, at least none she had heard.

 

"See, he returned in one piece," Ryan told Tim.

"I can't help it," Tim protested. He did feel a strong responsibility to watch out for Lucas. He knew that any other member of the seaQuest crew would feel the same in his position.

"She just wanted to go over the locator and the jump," Lucas remarked, as he sat back down.

"I am really sorry," Dawson apologized.

"It's not your fault," Lucas assured him. "It's just one of those things and they seem to happen to me with amazing frequency. You had no way of knowing. Anyway, I have my instructions to stay close to Ghost or Sunshine. In the event that fails, I'm supposed to get with someone else on the team."

"Don't worry, Casanova, between the two of us," Rodriguez commented with a nod in Ryan's direction, "we can keep track of him."

"I sincerely hope so," Tim remarked.

 

"Okay, we're almost at the jump site," McKinnon announced.

Lucas closed his eyes and reminded himself that he could do this: that it was no different than jumping off the Tower, except that it was dark, they were jumping into the water and he was still afraid of heights.

"It's going to be fine," Tim whispered, dropping a reassuring hand on his shoulder and wishing he could say something more encouraging.

"Think it's too late to change my mind?"

"Yeah. Besides you'd never forgive yourself."

"Unfortunately, you're probably right."

"Just remember that Ghost isn't going to let you get hurt on this."

"I'm not sure he has that kind of control," Lucas informed him. "But I know we made the right choice. I don't regret it."

Tim gave him an odd look, wondering what made him make that particular comment. "I don't either," he agreed quietly. "Just be careful."

"You too."

"I'm always careful," Tim reminded him.

"Indy, you and I have to go forward," Ryan told him, "since we're third and fourth."

"Right behind you," Tim said, standing up.

"Come on, Slick; we're going to the back," Rodriguez instructed. "Just relax; you're going to be just fine. It's going to be just like on the Tower, only wet."

"Good luck," Hallowell said, passing by to take his position. "We're getting to easy part now."

"I certainly hope so," Lucas commented.

"All right, gang, let's line it up and do another check," McKinnon announced.

"Einstein," Karneering called, starting it off.

"Ice."

"Indy."

"Sunshine."

"Columbus."

"Casanova."

"Brook."

"Irish."

"Slick."

"Ghost." Rodriguez kept his eyes trained on Lucas, making sure the teenager was doing all right. He looked rather pale, but that came as no surprise. "You're doing fine, Slick," he murmured. "This is going to be okay, I promise."

"And I suppose you've never broken a promise?"

"Never. I have no intention of starting now either. Just breathe, Slick," he commanded softly.

"All right, gang, we're going live," McKinnon stated quietly. "Follow the procedures just like we discussed. When you drop the rafts, try to avoid hitting those of us below and keep them upright. Let's do it!"

"Site looks clear," Karneering observed. The distance to the water was less than the Tower, but it was still enough to look daunting to Lucas.

Karneering followed the same procedures the team had used on the Tower; the Outriggers had learned there were benefits in keeping with the established routine.

"I sure hope the water is warm," he remarked. "I'm going on three; one-two-three-"

"To your left, Einstein," McKinnon instructed. "My turn," she added, making her jump.

"Okay, you're clear," Ryan said, stepping into position with Tim. "Your head will go under water, don't panic."

"I spend my life underwater; that doesn't scare me."

"Good, all right, anyone hits me with a raft is going to pay when this over!" she called to the rest of the unit. "On three; one-two-three-"

"You're clear," Hallowell said. "We're readying the rafts, now, Ice; let us know when the site is clear."

"Stay here while we take care of the rafts," Rodriguez instructed Lucas. He did not want the boy looking over the edge until the last possible minute. Rodriguez figured that while they were fairly close to the water, he did not want to take any chances of the teenager having a panic attack at this point.

"I don't plan on wandering off," Lucas assured him.

"That's what I like about you, Slick: you never lose your sense of humor," he commented, joining the remaining members of the unit to drop the rafts.

"How's he doing?" Dawson asked Rodriguez, as they finished preparing the first raft.

"He's still got his attitude; as long as it stays, we're fine," Rodriguez replied, giving him a quick smile.

"Okay, Columbus, we're clear," McKinnon informed him.

"We believe we have the right gear in the right rafts, but we make no promises," Hallowell told her. "It is strapped down, given the short distance and, with the no wind, we should be able to make a good landing."

"That's what I like to hear."

"On three," Rodriguez ordered Dawson. "One-two-three-"

"A little off target, but hey, I wanted an extra swim," Karneering groused moments later.

"We aim to please," Hallowell pointed out. "Raft number two is ready when you are," he added, as Chandler and Adamsen stepped up with it.

"Ready!"

"That was much better," Ryan informed them.

"Go with three," McKinnon ordered.

"Okay, let me know when we can resume jumping," Hallowell requested, as Rodriguez and Dawson sent the third raft out.

"We've cleared the site, but try not to hit us," McKinnon instructed. "I'd hate to tip one over now."

"We'll do our best," Hallowell acknowledged. "I'm in position and going on three."

"Columbus, you're to the right," Dawson told him.

"How can you see?" Lucas asked Rodriguez, wanting to take his mind off of the jump.

"We've got excellent night vision. Comes with experience. And the moon is just right: not so bright that it will spotlight us, but enough to see."

"Brook, you're up a little far," Chandler remarked. "I'll see you guys below," he added to Lucas and Rodriguez.

"Right," Rodriguez instructed, watching him. "Okay, Langley, we're the last jumpers," he informed the pilot. "Wait for McKinnon to give you the all clear and follow the plan as discussed earlier."

Langley would return to Hawaii for four hours before he, and the second pilot, Hamilton, returned. By now, Lucas and Tim had realized that Outrigger Blue always called their primary transport Hawk and Eagle. Langley and Hamilton would return in different helicopters designed to land on water if necessary.

McKinnon hoped to avoid having them come on land, so she wanted to be able to take the rafts back out to the drop site and board from there. Langley and Hamilton were to stay out of Tarsinian airspace until McKinnon called them with specific coordinates; they were to act like they were practicing night maneuvers.

It was a tenuous cover, they knew, and the team hoped no one would question their presence. The key to the Outrigger plan was getting in and out before they were noticed.

"All right, Commander," the pilot agreed. "Good luck."

"Okay, Slick, you ready?"

"Yes," Lucas spoke with more confidence than he felt. Rodriguez studied him carefully, wanting to make sure that he was prepared to make the jump. "Slick, it's going to be just like we did before."

"Except it's wet. I know."

"Just don't look down and don't think about it. This is the easy part."

"Oh gee, I can't wait to see the hard stuff."

"See, you have to think positive," Rodriguez told him with a quick smile. "Okay let's get this over with."

"If you insist."

"Remember, right before we go into the water, I'm going to let go of you, so don't panic on me. At that point, we'll be going into the water and we've learned it's better to go into the water solo," Rodriguez reminded him.

"I'd forgotten," Lucas admitted.

"That's why I'm here: to keep you focused," Rodriguez remarked.

"Think highly of yourself, don't you?"

"Naturally. All right, Slick, if you're ready, we need to go for it."

"Okay, I know the longer they stay down there, the more chance there is of being discovered," Lucas sighed.

"Ice, we're on our way down. You guys will have to watch for us, since I don't have a guide."

"You're clear," McKinnon informed him.

"You have to open your eyes now," Rodriguez instructed.

Lucas took several deep breaths. "We better do it before I remember how petrified I truly am."

"On three," Rodriguez told him, moving into position. "One-two-three.."

Lucas hated the falling sensation as they headed toward the water; it was the worst part of jumping. There were several seconds of intense panic as he recalled all the reasons he was afraid of heights. He hit the water harder than he expected, but recovered his bearings quickly. Coming up to the surface before Rodriguez, he looked around, letting his eyes adjust to the dark. He jumped as Rodriguez surfaced right next to him.

"Did you have to do that?"

"Sorry," Rodriguez apologized.

"It's bad enough when you do it on dry land," Lucas grumbled, sensing that Rodriguez was not very sorry at all.

"If you're done whining, Sunshine's in the raft all ready," Rodriguez said pointing. "We're supposed to join her. Unless you want to swim all the way in."

Lucas could see the others already in their rafts, waiting for him and Rodriguez to join Ryan. Swimming over to raft, he was glad the jumping part of the mission was over.

"You did good, Slick," Ryan commented, offering him her hand.

"I certainly hope that is the last time I ever have to do that," Lucas informed her.

"Then don't hang out with any other Outriggers," Rodriguez advised. "Be careful," he hissed, as Lucas almost kicked him in the head as he climbed into the raft. "You're not supposed to injure me before we hit the island."

"Can I hurt you afterwards, then?"

"Don't worry; he has a hard head," Ryan interjected.

"Gee, thanks, Sunshine," Rodriguez said.

"Need a hand?" Lucas inquired.

"That would be helpful," Rodriguez agreed, taking the hand Lucas extended to him.

"Teams, are we missing anyone?" McKinnon requested.

"Team two is complete," Rodriguez responded.

"Teams three and four are present."

"All right, Langley, you are clear for departure."

"We are leaving now, Commander," their pilot acknowledged. "We will proceed according to plan unless notified of a change."

"Good deal. Okay, campers, let's get moving; we're kind of exposed here in the water. We'll have to swim the rafts in once we hit the reef: should take us about twenty minutes."

 

Lucas was amazed that the rafts had held up through the landing, even with the gear inside. He was particularly surprised when Rodriguez attached a portable motor. "I'm impressed," he commented.

"It's a special design. Lightweight, portable and virtually indestructible," Rodriguez remarked, giving a shrug.

"And he designed it," Ryan interjected.

"Wow."

"Hey, they don't keep me around for my good looks," Rodriguez told him. "Besides, McKinnon designed the rafts; apparently she had some kind of mission disaster early in her career."

"Well, if you can learn from them, it's always good," Lucas acknowledged. "And I'd already figured they didn't keep you around for your charming personality."

"In our line of work, it's important," Rodriguez responded, ignoring his other remark while Ryan snickered.

"You seeing okay in the dark?" Ryan asked him.

"It's getting better," he replied.

"Good. We don't want you to get lost."

"Trust me; I don't want to get lost either," he assured her.

"I like the sound of that, because Ice will kill us both if you do," Rodriguez informed him.

"Tim would kill me for worrying him," Lucas stated.

"Indy, mad? Don't want to see that," Ryan commented.

"Neither do I. And I definitely don't want to see how the rest of the seaQuest would react."

"Ice has already indicated she does not want to meet your doctor unless you return safely."

"I don't know that Westphalen's going to give her a choice in the matter."

"Well, Ice should understand that," Rodriguez observed. "She was the one that jacked Peters up against the wall when Zimmer got hurt with his team."

"It is one sure fire way to get her peeved," Ryan agreed. "Mess with her team and she reacts."

"I'm not sure Westphalen would get violent; she'd probably just figure out a way to take a lot of blood and yell at you while she did it," Lucas told them.

"Let's try to keep it from becoming an issue," Rodriguez advised, "since we'll get it from both sides."

"I'm not planning on getting hurt," Lucas assured him. "I try to avoid pain."

"Then we should be safe."

"Ice is signaling us to get in the water," Ryan announced.

"Oh goody," Rodriguez grumbled. "Slick, you'll have to help us with the raft," he instructed.

"Sure," Lucas replied. He waited for Ryan to go back in the water and then followed her in. "Do you mind?" he hissed, after Rodriguez almost ran over him with the raft.

"Haven't we had this conversation all ready?" Rodriguez inquired. "Sorry about that," he apologized, as, this time, the raft did hit Lucas in the head.

"Let me take the front; you get on the side," Ryan said, swimming up along side Lucas, "otherwise he's going to drown you before we hit land," she muttered.

"Team two, is there some kind of problem?" McKinnon's voice came over the headsets.

"We were having a little difficulty coordinating our movements," Rodriguez reported.

"Have you got it settled now?"

"Yes, Ice," Ryan answered quickly.

"Team three?" McKinnon asked.

"We're just fine," Hallowell reported. "It helps to have four of us," he added.

"Good."

 

"Okay, we want to do a radio check before we change," McKinnon spoke quietly into her headset. "Casanova will run a check on the locators," she added.

One by one the Outriggers checked in on their headsets. "I've got location on everyone," Dawson announced.

"All right, let's change quickly," McKinnon instructed. "We don't want to spend anymore time here than necessary."

"I thought maybe we could set up camp here," Rodriguez mumbled, as they all started getting out of their wetsuits.

"This was worse than putting them on," Tim grumbled, accepting a hand from Chandler.

"Yeah, well, when we go back into the water on our return without them, you'll wish we had them," Chandler observed.

"Something to look forward to, I guess." Tim glanced around, trying to spot Lucas in the darkness. He saw him over by Rodriguez and Ryan, also struggling to change clothes.

 

"How are you doing, Slick?" Rodriguez asked, as he pulled his jumpsuit on. He studied Lucas carefully, noting that the teenager still looked a little pale. Rodriguez chose not to comment, preferring to keep an eye on him for a little while. He was fairly confident the boy would be fine and that he was just suffering the effects of the jump. His phobia was deeply rooted and Rodriguez had a feeling that it was something the teenager would always be dealing with.

"Okay, I guess," Lucas commented. "I can think of other things I'd rather be doing," he added, clipping his radio into one of the pockets on the jumpsuit as Ryan had demonstrated earlier.

"Yeah, but they wouldn't be half as much fun," Rodriguez pointed out.

"How do you know?"

"You wouldn't have the pleasure of our company."

"Oh, that will make him glad he's here, Ghost," Karneering remarked, passing by them. "I'm sure he's looking forward to many hours with you."

"What's wrong with that idea?" Rodriguez demanded.

"You want the top ten or the entire list?"

"Play nice, boys," Ryan instructed as she approached. "You don't want to make Ice cranky."

"You have a point," Karneering agreed. "I think I'll go check on my team."

"Okay, Slick, you're almost ready," Ryan observed, checking to make sure he had everything in the right place.

"I hope so; I can't think of anything else to do," he commented, pulling the vest on over his head.

"Here, let me adjust this," Ryan told him, sliding his vest into position.

"Remember, if you have to get shot, try to get hit in the vest," Rodriguez advised.

"Thank you for that image, Ghost," Lucas hissed. "I'm not really looking to get shot at all!"

"Just thought I'd pass it on."

"Ignore him; if we're lucky he'll go away," Ryan remarked, handing Lucas his hat. "Ghost, are you set?"

"Yes."

"Ice, team two is ready," Ryan reported.

"Stand by," McKinnon responded, waiting for the other two teams to complete their changes. "Leave the wetsuits in the rafts and then let's get them under cover."

It took them only a few minutes to have the rafts hidden from view, but easily accessible.

Fortunately, they were not very far away from the possible locations of the hostages. They had planned a relatively close entry, knowing that speed might become a necessary part of the plan.

"Let's proceed," McKinnon ordered when they finished. "Team four, followed by two, then one, three in the back."

"Stay close," Rodriguez whispered to Lucas, who nodded.

They proceeded slowly and quietly through the jungle, alert to every sound and movement as they progressed. Lucas found the silence eerie. He supposed the Outriggers were all used to it, but he had never been this quiet before. He wondered if it made Tim uncomfortable as well. Lucas doubted the lieutenant had any more experience in this type of situation than he did.

 

As he followed behind Chandler, Tim found himself remembering all the reasons he chosen to go into communications instead of something like security. Creeping along in the dark, trying to avoid detection from a hostile force, certainly topped the list. Tim liked the excitement and adventure of being on seaQuest; being with the Outriggers was closer to the action than he liked to get. On board the submarine, Tim usually had its walls keeping him safe from danger.

 

Finally, they reached the area the rest of them would wait at, while Rodriguez and Ryan scouted ahead.

"Make sure you check in," McKinnon reminded them.

"Certainly," Rodriguez assured her. "We'll be as quick as possible, but we'll have to wait for positive signs of the hostages. It could take some time," he added.

"Just do your best," she instructed. "We'll be waiting."

"Talk to you later," Rodriguez said, giving a quick salute.

"Irish, I'm going to team with Slick until Ghost and Sunshine return," McKinnon informed Chandler.

"Indy and I will be fine, Ice," Chandler confirmed. "I'll teach him some campfire songs."

"Just don't teach him any of the dirty ones," she told him.

"I'll save them for the return trip," Chandler assured her.

McKinnon walked over to where Lucas stood. "I'm going to pair with you for a little bit, until your team comes back," she explained, when he gave her a puzzled look.

Lucas nodded his understanding. "So, now we wait?" he asked, sliding his headset mike away from his mouth. Everyone else had done the same, talking softly amongst themselves, their ears trained in case Rodriguez or Ryan reported in.

"It's what we do best at times."

"We get to do it on seaQuest too."

"Then you should be experienced."

 

"Ice is not going to like this," Rodriguez observed, as he and Ryan looked down the building that held the hostages. "She is not going to like it at all," he repeated.

"You're not kidding," Ryan agreed. "You want to get a closer look?"

"No, we can't risk it," he sighed. "At least it's only two stories. Looks like they have the hostages in the far right, over there," Rodriguez commented, pointing.

"I'd have to agree. Look's the floor plan is still good," Ryan remarked. "But that security. Nothing I recognize."

"I suppose you're going to make me call it in," Rodriguez grumbled.

"In cases like these, I like to defer to rank," Ryan assented.

"You and I have the same rank," he pointed out.

"You have seniority. Quit whining and do it," she ordered.

 

"Isn't this exciting?" Chandler asked Tim, as they sat waiting to hear from Rodriguez and Ryan.

"I never knew you all had such fun," Tim said dryly, "although I have the feeling I'll be missing this moment once things get started."

"Likely," Adamsen remarked, joining them. "Of course, once we really get moving, you won't have time to worry about anything but sticking to the plan."

"I see your point."

 

"How are you guys doing?" Karneering questioned Lucas and McKinnon.

"We're doing fine," McKinnon told him. "This is one of the parts of command that I hate," she sighed.

"Yeah, well, it's part of the territory. You know that," Karneering reminded her. "You can't go around endangering yourself: you have Ghost and Sunshine for that."

"It doesn't mean I like it any better."

"I think most COs feel that way," Lucas commented, remembering how many times Ford had prevented Bridger from putting himself at risk, as well as the times the captain ignored his XO. "Bridger doesn't always want to stay on the boat."

"It's a good quality, I'll grant you, but you do have to let other people take the chances sometimes," Karneering remarked.

"Einstein likes to be the voice of reason at these times," McKinnon informed Lucas.

"I do my best, but it isn't always easy with you guys," Karneering told her.

 

"Ice, we've got a visual," Rodriguez reported in.

"Which one?" McKinnon inquired, instantly more alert.

"Second."

"Access?"

"Complicated," Ryan interjected. "It looks like they've added some hardware since our information was produced."

"How much?" McKinnon questioned.

"Quite a bit," Rodriguez answered. "I think we're going to have to alter the plan somewhat."

"How?"

"From what we can tell, security is controlled from one room in the building," Rodriguez explained. "I think if we can get in there and override the system, the rest of you can get to the hostages."

"Define we," McKinnon ordered.

"Sunshine, Slick and myself. Slick's going to be the only one that can work the system," Rodriguez replied, somewhat reluctantly.

"You think the plan is still executable?"

"Yes. It is only a two story building, and fairly compact. There isn't a lot of ground to cover. Hostages are being held on the second floor. We should be able to get in and out on schedule."

"Okay, hold your position; we will come to you," McKinnon instructed. "All right, you heard the man; we're making a change in plans," she announced to the others. "We'll just have to widen our coverage in the building."

"You going to stay with Slick?" Chandler inquired.

"Until we meet with Ghost and Sunshine," she confirmed. "I want you in front of me," she directed Lucas. "Same order as before," she added for the benefit of the rest of the group.

 

"All right, we need to talk this through before we do anything," McKinnon explained when they met up Rodriguez and Ryan forty minutes later. "I want to know what you two have in mind," she instructed Rodriguez and Ryan. "The rest of you just wait patiently and keep your eye on the building, you might see something. And Slick, you're with Einstein until we finish discussing this."

"I'm starting to feel like the unwanted stepchild," Lucas remarked to Karneering, as McKinnon, Rodriguez and Ryan moved to one side.

"Ice is just being careful because of the locator problem," Karneering assured him. "She wants you to feel safe in knowing that you are with someone close by, and us to be kept aware of the situation as well."

"It was still working last time around," Lucas pointed out.

"I know, but Ice worries a lot. It comes with her job. She's good at it, but it isn't easy."

 

"From a security standpoint, our best option is for the three of us to disable the outside security and gain access to the building, while the rest of you wait outside," Rodriguez kept his voice low. "Otherwise, we'll have you all milling outside the building just waiting."

"I didn't recognize the configurations, but we didn't take a closer look either. Even in the dark, ten of us will be noticeable. Ghost is right," Ryan backed him up.

"I really don't like this," McKinnon said, shaking her head. "That was a little more involved than I was hoping to get either one of them."

"One of us will stay with him at all times. Near as we can tell: they rely primarily on the security locks, not much personnel in the building. But we can't tell you how long it will take to get through the initial security. It could go quickly, or it could take a while," Rodriguez continued making his argument, even though he did not like the idea any more than she did. "But it's a bigger risk if we all go down first."

"Unfortunately, you're right," McKinnon agreed quietly. "Could you two do it?" she inquired hopefully.

"We could, but it would take us longer. Slick's a natural at this stuff," Rodriguez told her. "You can tell it by watching him work. He sees connections that we don't."

"Then we better ask him. Slick?" McKinnon spoke into her headset. "You want to join us for a minute?"

"Uh, sure," Lucas replied nervously.

 

"What's going on?" Tim questioned Chandler and Adamsen, who stood next to him.

"Not sure. Some kind of change in plan most likely," Chandler answered. "That's usually what they huddle about. Probably something to do with the security issue."

"Don't worry; Ice will review all the options," Adamsen told him. "She won't put him into any danger."

"I have to worry," Tim said. "Trouble tends to find him," he added dryly, nodding his head at Lucas.

 

"The security is tighter than we first thought," McKinnon began, when Lucas joined them, "and it's electronic. Ryan doesn't recognize it, but believes it's computer controlled."

"We think our best option is for the three of us," Rodriguez continued, pointing to Lucas, Ryan and himself, "to disable the security while the others wait here. It will leave the three of us exposed. If we get caught, they won't have to time to save us. However, if all ten of us go right away, they could be waiting around for us to break the lock for some time, which could attract attention. Sunshine and I both know that it would take us a lot longer to figure out the computers than it would you to do it."

"If you don't want to do this, we'll do it," Ryan put in, watching his face.

"I'm willing to try," Lucas told them. "The idea is to get in as quickly as possible, so I'll do what I can."

"Are you sure?" McKinnon asked.

"Yes."

"Okay, then I guess we break the news to the others."

 

"What if someone sees them?" Adamsen asked, once McKinnon had explained what they were going to do.

"Then the mission is breached and we retreat," McKinnon stated.

It took the others a moment to digest what she was saying.

"If the ten of us get captured, we do us and the hostages no good," Rodriguez pointed out.

Tim understood what he was saying, but the realization that Lucas would be one of the ones exposed to the danger made him feel nauseous.

"It's a bigger risk if you start with us. People won't necessarily notice three people around the building, but they don't have a lot of personnel around here; if they see ten people milling around, they'll get suspicious," Ryan continued, offering Rodriguez's argument.

"I hate to say it, but they're right," Karneering said quietly.

"The longer we discuss this, the more time we waste," Lucas observed. "You all can't stand around the entrance while we try to get inside; it's too big a risk."

Tim studied Lucas for a moment, realizing the teenager had accepted the risk involved. "Hopefully, it won't take you too long," he said, giving his approval.

"They'll let us know when it's clear," McKinnon announced.

"Then let's get going," Rodriguez encouraged. "We don't want to be here all night."

"Be careful," Tim whispered to Lucas. "I'm not explaining this to the captain," he added.

"It'll be fine," Lucas assured him.

"There hasn't been any movement for a while; it looks pretty clear," Ryan offered. "We just have to be cautious."

"Report in on fifteen minute intervals," McKinnon ordered. "If you even think there's a problem, declare a breach and we'll try another way."

"Yes, Ice," Rodriguez agreed.

"Good luck," she concluded, once again regretting that being in charge meant she had to let them handle this task.

 

"One quick note, Slick," Rodriguez said, as they moved away from the others.

"Yes?" Lucas inquired, wondering if this was going to be another previously unmentioned clause.

"If we are, for some reason, taken hostage, you want to push all the channels on your radio simultaneously," he instructed.

"That will jam the transmission on the radio, so they can't hear what the team is doing," Ryan clarified for him. "Once we're breached, our job is to protect not only ourselves, but them as well."

"I understand," Lucas confirmed.

 

Tim sat worrying. Part of him believed everything would be fine; the other part of him desperately wished he had been able to accompany Lucas and the other two. He recognized his thoughts were irrational. There was no way that he could be of any service, nor would he be able to prevent anything from going wrong. Still, Tim fretted about all the possibilities.

McKinnon watched Tim for a few minutes; this was one of the other reasons she occasionally questioned why she had accepted a command. She understood Tim's concerns; she even felt them herself, particularly at times like these, when she knew she was putting members of her unit in danger. With the information they had, they had made the right choice. There was only minimal risk for Lucas, Rodriguez and Ryan; it did not make her anxiety any less. She gave a look and a nod to Karneering; then turned her attention to watching the trio down below.

 

"They know what they're doing," Lucas mumbled, as he cautiously tested the locks on the building. "These look like they come from Aegis," he observed. "Someone knows their stuff. Fortunately, I know most of what there is to know about Aegis," he added. "I'm trying to figure out which series this is; let me think a moment."

Rodriguez and Ryan watched him, each privately deciding they did not want to know why the teenager had such a wide knowledge of the locks. Ryan was familiar with Aegis Security: a specialized security firm that was rumored to be run by several former members of a UEO secret intelligence group. Anyone that worked in security knew something about their products. However, judging from the way Lucas was studying the locks and typing into the computer, he had more than a passing knowledge of the company.

"It's from their Sentinel Series," Lucas remarked. "One of you might want to see if they have any cameras posted outside."

"You want to explain that?" Rodriguez asked, while Ryan surveyed the area for cameras. They had already made a check of the area, but Ryan knew enough about the Sentinel line to want to check again.

"Sentinel series protection units are usually accompanied by cameras that provide a continuous feed of activity," Lucas explained, while still working. "That's why we haven't seen too many people around here. The Sentinel is designed to notify you when there's a change in the activity."

"So, you're saying that this system is designed to tell them if the hostages are removed?" Rodriguez summed up.

"That's about it," Lucas agreed.

"What can we do?" Ryan asked; she did not know enough about this particular series to understand how to defeat its systems.

"There has to be a control room in this building. If we access it, I could program it to a continuous loop. It would show hostages as still being in the building. It wouldn't fool them for long, because there would be no change in activity, but it should fool them long enough for us to get the hostages out. Of course, this is just a theory," Lucas answered.

"Won't there be another room for them to monitor the activity?" Rodriguez questioned. "I mean, they don't have many people here, so I'm assuming that they have a remote station set up elsewhere to keep an eye on things.

"Yes, but it would strictly for viewing, at least, that's standard. The system access is usually in the building in which it's operating."

"Okay, I have to ask: how do you know all of this?"

"It's a long story and you really don't want to know," Lucas informed him. "This should take a few more minutes."

"There are no cameras outside," Ryan reported.

"Probably feel safe enough to risk it. Most likely there will be one just inside the doors," Lucas remarked.

"Must be our lucky day," she sighed.

"Actually, if they follow most people, they will place them high enough to catch people walking in, but not if you crawl. I'm pretty sure the Tarsinians did the installation themselves, so they probably made the common errors. Aegis would not have wanted to get involved in something like this."

"Business is business," Rodriguez observed.

"Yes, it is," Lucas agreed. "But I think even the greediest business would question why a country that hasn't had many outsiders on island in seventy-five years, suddenly required a state of the art security system. Especially on a building that seems to have no great importance."

"I see your point."

"It's time to check in," Ryan reminded Rodriguez.

"Lucky me," he grumbled.

 

Karneering sat beside Tim. "Worried about Slick?" he asked.

"Yes. It's not that I don't trust you guys," Tim answered. "I do. But I feel responsible for him."

"So do Ice and Ghost and Sunshine and the rest of this team," Karneering told him. "Unfortunately, in our line of work, you take risks. Some are higher than others. We're used to it. Not that it makes us careless or makes us look for trouble. When it comes to staying safe, Ice is one of the best. Ghost didn't make second in command for being reckless, I might add. He's always got his eye on the safety of the unit."

"I know; I do trust you all," Tim repeated. "But it would be like if you and Brook were on seaQuest working, with our people. And we sent Brook to go handle something with Ford and Katie," he began, not remembering that Karneering did not know who Ford and Katie were, but he was trying to make a point. "You would be worried too, no matter how cautious and careful the crew was."

Karneering nodded; it was logic he could comprehend. "I understand. It's that separation anxiety we experience when one of us gets borrowed by another unit," he concurred. "There's that sense that, if somehow we were there, we could stop something bad from happening."

 

"You're late," McKinnon told Rodriguez, who had just reported in.

"Sorry, we were having an interesting discussion down here," Rodriguez sighed. He really needed to watch the time better. Even though McKinnon could see them from the team's current position, she did not like having no information.

"Oh?"

"Channel six."

"What's going on, Ghost?" McKinnon demanded. "Well, Slick has identified the security system," Rodriguez started. "It's an Aegis Sentinel series, he said. Apparently it allows you to reduce the number of personnel around the building."

"Ghost," McKinnon interrupted, "get to the point." McKinnon knew that, when Rodriguez started giving extraneous information, he was trying to avoid something.

"Uh, well, apparently it operates using a lot of cameras."

"I'm listening."

"If there's a change in the activity, the system will be triggered."

"And there's probably cameras on the hostages. Damn."

"Slick says there should be a control room in the building. If we get access to it, he can instigate some kind of loop in the transmission that would give us enough time to get the hostages out. He thinks."

"That puts the three of you away from the rest of the team."

"Actually, he says he should be able to get it running and then we can leave it," Rodriguez elaborated.

"There's no other way to defeat the system?"

"I'll check," Rodriguez told. "Slick?"

"Yes?" Lucas asked, still working on getting them into the building.

"Is there any other way to defeat the system? Besides taking the control room and altering the transmission?"

"Not unless you have all the codes, which have to entered in sequence with in two minutes of one another: not enough time to crack all the codes."

"He says no," Rodriguez informed McKinnon.

"What do you suggest?" McKinnon questioned.

"Well, we have to assume that there is at least one person in the control room, probably two," Rodriguez proposed. "We could take the control of the room and let him work his magic. No matter what happens, we have to defeat this system. I just don't see aborting at this point."

"You want help?" McKinnon asked, having conceded Rodriguez was correct.

"I'm not sure. Slick says there's likely a camera on the entrance; we should be able to avoid it by going under its visual field, which is an argument for not bringing the team down. However, the other side is the fact that ten of us could take the control room a lot easier than three."

"Let me think about it," McKinnon instructed. "We'll make the decision when you guys get the door opened."

 

"Are we close?" Rodriguez asked Lucas.

"Almost."

"Ice wants to know how we're going to take the control room," Rodriguez told Ryan. "I gave her the reasons for the three of us doing and for all ten of us."

"It's risky either way," Ryan commented.

"That's why she gets to make the decisions."

"I've got it. What are we going to do now?" Lucas inquired.

"We call Ice," Rodriguez said. "Ice?"

"You're in?" McKinnon guessed.

"That's right. What are we going to do?"

"Stand by. With no way of knowing how many people are inside the building, I can't accept the risk of the three of you taking the control room on your own," McKinnon ordered. "I'll send Three to join you at that entrance; I'll take my team and Four to other entrance. I assume that Slick has disabled both doors?"

"Are both doors open?" Rodriguez asked Lucas, who nodded. "Yes, they are."

"If the cameras will trigger an alarm for change in activity, won't something be activated by unlocking the door?" McKinnon queried.

"Slick, Ice wants to know if disabling the alarm will result in some kind of response?" Rodriguez relayed. "Actually, get on channel six and explain it yourself."

"Ice?" Lucas spoke into his headset. "If you just cut the alarm, it will sound a back up. However, there is a way around it. I've fixed it so that the main system will think the alarm is still working properly."

"I don't suppose I want to know how you know this."

"Not really."

"Okay. We're going to come down and join you." "If we're going inside now, you all will have to crawl in to avoid the visual field of the cameras at the door. In theory at least. It depends on if they followed a standard installation. But I see nothing to indicate it's anything but normal."

"All right, we'll be with you shortly," McKinnon confirmed.

 

"She doesn't look very happy," Tim remarked moments later, when McKinnon motioned the rest of them to gather around her.

"No, she doesn't," Adamsen agreed.

"Slick has gained access to the building, but there is another problem. The security system on the building has a camera network set up. If these cameras detect a variance in routine, they will trigger an alarm. There should be a control room in the building. We need to gain control of the control room in order to have command of the system."

"Then what?" Karneering asked.

"Slick will set up a continuous feed that makes it look there is no change taking place, so we can get the hostages out."

"Makes sense," Chandler commented. "But how long will it work?"

"Not sure. Right now we're operating under the theory that it's a standard set up for this type of system. Ghost and I both agree that there is nothing to be gained in leaving and coming back. We lose time and risk the Tarsinians getting wind of our plans or deciding to open negotiations."

"So how do we take the room?" Hallowell asked.

"By the book. Team three will join Two at the entrance in front; One and Four will take the back. They estimate there are cameras covering the entrance, so we'll have to go in low to avoid being picked up. Speculation is that there are one or two guards in the control room. Irish, Casanova and Columbus, you three and Sunshine will co-ordinate the initial entrance in the control room, once we establish its location. Einstein, Brook, Indy and I will provide the back up."

"Why send in all of us?" Dawson asked.

"We're going in based on assumptions; we have a better shot at taking control with all of us."

"All right."

"Then let's get going. We are operating on a schedule," McKinnon reminded them. "We will take a moment to coordinate our entry into the building once we are in position."

 

"Hi, guys," Karneering whispered, as he and Adamsen joined Lucas, Rodriguez and Ryan at the front entrance. "We having fun yet?"

"All the time, Einstein," Ryan muttered. "Ghost, what's the order?" she requested.

"You, Einstein, Slick, Brook and myself," Rodriguez ordered, understanding the question. Without further prompting, the group lined up, crouched low.

 

McKinnon was giving similar instructions on her side. "Columbus, Irish, Indy, me, and Casanova," she instructed. "Ghost, your side in place?" she inquired once everyone had positioned themselves properly.

"Yes," Rodriguez responded.

"Ice, based on our initial survey, we think the control room is the center room on the left side," Ryan informed her. "But we're not positive."

"We'll try it first, then. Hope that we're right," McKinnon ordered.

"Everyone check your weapons," Rodriguez reminded his group, knowing McKinnon would be doing the same on her side. "And let's try not to shoot anyone on our side."

"You are full of helpful images," Lucas hissed at him.

"You'd be surprised at how many Outriggers have been hit by friendly fire," Rodriguez retorted.

"Okay," McKinnon's voice interrupted. "Let's do this. Remember: stay low, stay alert and let's move as quickly as possible."

"You have the count, Commander," Rodriguez told her.

"On three," McKinnon announced. "One-two-three-"

Lucas watched as Ryan slid the door open. He had warned her about being careful; they were limited in how far it could be opened, because of the assumption of the camera on the other side. One by one, the Outriggers slipped inside, crawling on the floor. Ryan pointed up and they all saw the camera. Lucas was relieved to see he had made a correct guess about the placement being such that the team was below the camera's range.

"Okay, let's move forward to the middle room on the left and see what we find," McKinnon advised.

Tim followed closely behind Chandler, keeping his eyes trained for anything that looked suspicious. He felt distinctly unprepared for his current position. As a communications officer, he had not spent a lot time in covert activities. He had a sudden wish that Commander Ford was in his place. Tim did not feel properly equipped to look out for himself, much less look out for Lucas. Mentally shaking himself, he focused his attention on the other Outriggers.

The hallway was short. There were five doors, all closed. There were three on the left side and two on the right. None of them, Tim noted, were conveniently labeled.

Abruptly the advance forward stopped, Tim saw Ryan motioning at them and watched as Hallowell and Chandler moved forward and Dawson came up from the back of the line. It was fairly obvious they were used to this sequence of events, since they moved without hesitation; each knew exactly where to place themselves, even before Ryan gave any commands.

"I'll get the door; Columbus and Casanova you go high," Ryan ordered, having checked for any cameras in the vicinity of the door. "Irish, you follow me." The quartet moved into position and waited for the rest to be settled.

 

Lucas swallowed nervously. Somehow, he had never seen this mission making it this far. He supposed it was his mind's way of dealing with the situation: not thinking too far ahead. However, there was no denying that he was crouched in the hallway, his gun drawn, watching as the four by the room prepared for entry.

"Brook and I are going to move up along side you," Rodriguez told him quietly. "Einstein, cross over and give Ice a hand with back up on her side."

Lucas nodded and looked across and saw that McKinnon and Tim were side by side. Seeing Tim with a gun drawn was something he had never imagined. It gave him pause. Although Lucas knew that Tim was a trained officer, he just never thought of his friend as being that kind of military man. He always thought of Tim in his position at communications, for the most part, safely away from any kind of peril.

Across the hall, as he watched Rodriguez and Adamsen move up next to Lucas, Tim was having similar thoughts. Tim knew this was not a sight he was likely to forget and it was not one he wanted to see again. Lucas did not look too nervous, but Tim had a feeling that was just outward appearance. He knew he was feeling anxious and he figured the teenager had to be feeling the same. Certainly neither one had ever been this close to the action on seaQuest, at least not intentionally. He pushed the thought of the seaQuest out of his mind, not wanting to entertain those thoughts at the moment. Tim knew this was one of the many portions of their assignment that he hoped ended up being classified.

"We're in position, Sunshine; it's your count," McKinnon instructed, once Karneering had crossed over, taking the place on Tim's left.

"This is the fun part," Karneering murmured.

Tim glanced at him out of the corner of his eye and saw Karneering was quite comfortable in the situation. It surprised him; he supposed it was because Karneering was a doctor. Tim's most recent experience with a doctor was with Dr. Westphalen. He could not see her crouched in a hallway, holding a gun, waiting to move into action.

"On three," Ryan said quietly. "One-two-three.." Ryan opened the door with a quick push and then went flat on the ground, as Hallowell and Dawson went in first. Ryan somersaulted into the room and Chandler followed after her. There were shouts, the sound of shots and then a moment of silence. "We're clear," she announced.

"All right," McKinnon said. "Secure the room. Slick, we need you inside to disable the cameras, so that we can check the other four doors without being caught on tape. Sunshine and Casanova, follow standard procedure for taking care of the guards. Restrain them and lock them in a closet; we don't want them to see how many of us there are."

"There's a supply closet in here, Ice, which looks like it will suit our needs," Ryan reported.

"All right, once Slick gets inside and gives us an all clear, Ghost and Brook will check the two on their end. Einstein and I will take the two down here. Irish, you'll need to come help Indy back us up; Sunshine, you and Columbus will back up Ghost and Brook. We don't want any surprises."

"Okay, we're clear for Slick," Ryan announced.

"You heard the lady," Rodriguez whispered, tapping Lucas on the shoulder. Lucas moved across the floor, staying low to the ground and cautiously entered the room.

Inside the room, he noted there were no cameras trained inside the control room. It came as no surprise. Most people relied on the cameras outside the main access to keep intruders from making it that far. The room was fairly compact; there were two computers, although, from a quick survey, only one was operating the alarm system. There were several monitors: one for each entrance, two that covered the hallway that the rest of the Outriggers currently waited in, one on the stairs, three more for the hallway upstairs and two in the room with the hostages, who all appeared to be sleeping at the moment. At least all five were together.

"Can you do it?" Ryan asked, joining him at the computer.

"It will take a me few minutes," Lucas replied, already working on the computer.

"We'll stand by," McKinnon informed them.

"What's wrong?" Ryan asked, noting the frown on Lucas' face as he worked.

"Nothing," Lucas answered, wanting to confirm his suspicions before he made any comments. "I'll have control of the camera feed momentarily," he added.

"You two stay at the door until he's ready," Ryan instructed Chandler and Hallowell, who were standing by the entrance. The last thing she wanted was anyone moving prematurely. Having disabled the two guards inside, the Outriggers had committed to completing the assignment.

"Ice, you're clear," Lucas announced.

 

"Okay, we do this by the numbers," McKinnon explained to her group, as they advanced on the first door they had to check. "Einstein, you go low, I'll go high," she started, ignoring Karneering's growl of protest. "Indy, I want you on the right, Irish take left."

Tim moved to where McKinnon indicated and, once again found himself in an unusual position. Most of the things they were doing now he remembered only from training. He had never really done any of these things in the past. From the corner of his eye, he could Rodriguez and his team taking similar positions.

"You have the count, Einstein," McKinnon instructed.

"On three," Karneering told them.

Tim was all too happy to find that room and the other one empty. It appeared that there was no one else in the building besides the two guards and the hostages.

 

"We're clear," Rodriguez reported.

"Then let's go to the control room and see how Slick and Sunshine are progressing," McKinnon ordered.

"Sounds good," Rodriguez agreed.

"What have we got?" McKinnon questioned Lucas, who still sat working at the computer.

"Hostages are held together. In the upper right corner," Lucas replied, pointing to the two monitors watching the hostages. "Right now, they're sleeping."

"That's the one bad thing about night rescues," Dawson sighed. "They're probably going to freak at first."

"Is that a technical term?" Hallowell asked him.

"Learned it from Einstein, probably," Adamsen interjected.

Tim watched Lucas and recognized the expression on his face. It was a combination of the look he got when things were not going the way he had hoped and when he had to give someone, usually the captain, news he knew they wouldn't like.

Lucas typed a few more commands and shook his head. "Who would have thought they'd know to do that?" he muttered under his breath.

"Is there a problem?" McKinnon inquired, not liking the expression on his face.

"You could say that," Lucas told her.

"What is it?" Rodriguez queried.

"My original thought was to make some kind of repetitious loop; it would take a few minutes to program and you leave it running," Lucas explained.

"But?" McKinnon prompted.

"This particular system is protected against that: too complicated to explain how," he continued. "The only way to accomplish it is to run a continuous transmission."

"I'm not following," Rodriguez told him.

McKinnon closed her eyes; she knew exactly what Lucas was telling them. "Can you do it?" she asked, opening her eyes and giving him a studious look.

Lucas looked back at her. "Yes."

"What kind of help do you need?" she asked.

Rodriguez glanced at both, wondering what part of the conversation he was missing.

"Just someone to watch and make sure we don't get any uninvited guests," Lucas replied.

"This is the only way?" she questioned.

"I'm afraid so," he confirmed.

"You want to let me in on the secret?" Rodriguez finally interrupted. He already had a feeling he knew what the conversation was about.

"Irish? Sunshine?" McKinnon said.

"Yes?" Ryan responded first.

"You guys are now Team Five," she announced quietly.

"Why?" Hallowell asked, deciding to voice the question everyone was thinking.

"We have to improvise," McKinnon told him. "Here's the deal: Slick and Ghost are going to have to remain here in order to fake out the cameras," McKinnon explained. She ignored their looks; this was one of those times when she had to concentrate on the mission and its goals. They had gone too far to back down now. "Team Four will lead the procession on the stairs, followed by Three; One and Five will cover you. Your primary objective is to get the hostages out and back to the rafts. Once you have them, you are to proceed directly to the pick up site," she ordered. "Indy and I will follow you. Team Five will drop back to make sure the Two gets out of here undetected and they will meet us at the site." McKinnon continued her commands for a few minutes, going over the location of the hostages and her instructions.

Tim listened to McKinnon's instruction and tried to stem the sudden burst of nerves that overcame him. He knew that this meant there was a higher risk for Lucas and Rodriguez. In the time it took for them to get the hostages out, they would be isolated from the rest of the team.

Rodriguez nodded his head; they had gone in the direction he had feared towards the end of McKinnon's conversation with Lucas. He also recognized McKinnon's command voice. She was thrusting her emotions into the background for the moment and making the best decision for accomplishing their assignment.

"Everyone understand?" McKinnon requested and got nods from all of them. "Casanova, I want a locator check before we proceed."

"Everyone's on line, Ice," Dawson confirmed moments later.

"Then we better get moving. Langley and Hamilton will be moving into position very soon; we don't want to keep them waiting. Slick, are you ready to start?"

"Yes," Lucas affirmed, glancing up from the computer.

"Good luck," Tim whispered as he walked by. He wanted a chance to say more; unfortunately, there was not any time. He did not like the idea of Lucas being in the control room, even with Rodriguez. Being separated made him nervous.

"You too," Lucas told him. Like Tim, he did not like being separated. But both understood that, when the team had taken the control room and knocked out the guards, they were committed to seeing this out. If it meant that he had to stay here and operate the computers, he would.

 

"It'll be okay," Karneering assured Tim, as they all moved into position.

"Slick, are we clear?" McKinnon asked.

"Yes."

"We'll stay in communication, so you know our progress."

"We're not going any where," Rodriguez told her. He wished there was a way to be more reassuring about this situation. McKinnon had no choice but to make this alteration. The guards would eventually be found; they would lose any element of surprise if they left and came back. Plus, they ran the risk of something happening to the hostages if an aborted attempt was made. Being Outriggers meant accepting the risks and improvising. Even with Lucas and Tim along, McKinnon had to make the same choices. He knew she had made a small concession to their presence. Leaving him behind with Lucas, instead of Chandler or Hallowell, was an effort to provide Lucas with a little more protection.

Lucas concentrated on the computer, knowing that, if he lost his focus for even a second, they would be in trouble.

"I need to keep the entrances on, so we can see if anyone decides to come in. When you guys are ready to exit, you'll have to tell me, so I can fix those."

"Will do," Hallowell confirmed, since he and Dawson would probably be at the front of the line when they were ready to leave.

"Good luck," McKinnon told Lucas and Rodriguez. With that final remark, the team began filing out of the room.

 

"It's going to be fine," Rodriguez told Lucas, dropping a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"You know, every time someone says that, something goes wrong," Lucas remarked, his attention still on the computers. "Watch the monitors covering the entrances; I don't particularly want to get caught." Lucas retreated into the security of the relationship he and Rodriguez had formed since this had begun. If he could banter with him a little bit, then maybe things wouldn't be quite as scary.

"It's not high on my list of activities either," Rodriguez assured him. He wondered briefly if Lucas ever lost his attitude, then decided he did not to be around to see it.

 

Tim had no time to think about Lucas as the team proceeded up the stairs. He knew he had to focus on his part of the job. Fortunately, they encountered no one on the stairs. McKinnon had made Lucas check for any other people that might be in the building, besides the hostages and the two guards. Even though he had confirmed the building was empty, it was still a relief to find no one waiting for them.

This floor had had six doors, but they were only concerned with the one right by the stairs. Unlike the other floor, all but the one door stood open. The team listened intently for McKinnon's instructions.

"Okay, Four goes high, Three low, and let's not shoot any of the hostages," McKinnon ordered. "Einstein, we don't want to sedate anyone unless necessary. We're better off not carrying anyone."

"All right," Karneering agreed.

"Let's hope no one panics," Ryan murmured. Unfortunately, it was a very real possibility; it was one of the dangers of these types of operations. Especially since they would be waking up the hostages; sleeping people were often disoriented at first.

"You have the count, Einstein," McKinnon instructed. "Ghost, we're going in," she said, waiting until she got an acknowledgement from him, to give a nod to Karneering.

"On three," he told the group, checking to make sure Hallowell, Dawson and Adamsen were in position. "One-two-three-" Karneering opened the door and stayed low to avoid being kicked in the head by Hallowell and Dawson as they entered the room.

"What the ?!" one of the hostages yelled as McKinnon, Tim, Ryan and Chandler followed the other four inside.

"Silence!" McKinnon shouted. Inside the room, three women and two men sat up, staring at them in shock and fear. "We're going to get you guys out of here. But you have to be quiet and cooperate with us."

"You're with the UEO?" a woman asked.

Tim could feel the fear in them as they looked at the eight of them. Not that he blamed them: seeing eight strangers dressed in black with no identifying insignias had to be disconcerting.

"You could say that," McKinnon answered. "Now, we don't have much time for small talk. We need to know if any of you are hurt?" McKinnon wanted to get them out of the building before anything could go wrong. The longer they took, the greater the risk was.

 

"What's wrong?" Rodriguez inquired as Lucas suddenly grew very alert. He could tell the teenager was not about to deliver good news.

"Tell Ice they need to get moving," Lucas ordered.

"Why?" Rodriguez asked, responding to the anxiety in his tone.

"The panic button: I forgot about the panic button," Lucas groaned.

"What are you saying, Slick?"

"There's usually a switch that can trigger the alarms, even when things are okay. It's sort of a failsafe program to override the system. Not knowing where it is, we don't know if the guards triggered it. It won't show up on the system, because the program is designed to keep it hidden."

"Have we been breached?" Rodriguez demanded.

"Not that I can tell, but we can't take the chance."

"Ice?" Rodriguez spoke into his headset.

"What is it?" McKinnon answered.

"If you guys aren't moving, you need to go," he informed McKinnon. "We may have some slight technical difficulties."

"Explain."

"There's a panic button with this system; we don't know if the guards tripped it or not."

"Damn," McKinnon said softly. "We're going now," she added to the team members with her, who had just heard Rodriguez's report. "Casanova, Columbus, you take Taylor, Jefferson and Michaels," she instructed Dawson and Hallowell, pointing to the three women. They had taken the time to learn the names of the hostages in order to make communication easier. Fortunately, none of the hostages had been injured, although all five suspected they had been drugged. "Brook and Einstein, you have Sanders and Victor! Indy, check the hall!" she called out. "Sunshine and Irish, go check on Ghost and Slick once we clear the stairs."

"Let's go!" Dawson yelled, moving quickly, urging the three women to follow after Hallowell, once Tim signaled they were clear.

 

"Are you near the entrance yet?" Lucas inquired of Dawson and Hallowell.

"We're going to hit it in about five seconds," Hallowell reported.

"Okay, you're clear," Lucas informed him.

"Ice, let us know when you and Indy are out of sight of the building, then we'll vacate," Rodriguez requested.

"Affirmative."

"Einstein and Brook are cleared from the building," Tim's voice announced, sounding much more calm than he felt.

"Good."

"Ghost, we'll be in your vicinity shortly," Ryan told him. "We're just waiting for Ice and Indy to clear the building."

"Sunshine, Irish, wait outside the entrance for us, so that, when Slick and I leave they'll only have the two of us on screen. Sunshine, stand by on channel two so that there's no interference with other transmissions."

"You got it," Ryan agreed.

"Indy and I are clear," McKinnon told him.

"Ghost," Lucas spoke hesitantly, pointing to one of the monitors. "Back entrance."

"Hit all of your channels now!" Rodriguez ordered him. "Sunshine, GO!" he yelled into his mike. "We have a breach! I repeat we have a breach!"

"Ghost?! We can-" Ryan spoke frantically into the mike.

"That's an order!" Rodriguez said. "They are too close! Get out of here! Sunshine, your duty is to the mission! GO!" With that, he hit all the channels on his radio, effectively ending the transmission, knowing that, when she could not talk to him, Ryan would have to follow his order.

"Ghost? Slick?" Ryan questioned. Then she grabbed Chandler's arm, knowing that Rodriguez was right; no matter how desperately she wanted to stay, she had a job to perform. "They've been compromised; we have to go," she said, running in the same direction as the others had gone.

"Oh god," Chandler said softly, following her. Like Ryan, he wanted to stay behind, but he also knew they had to protect the hostages and that meant joining up with the rest of the team to provide as much coverage as possible.

 

"We're going to be fine, Slick; I promise," Rodriguez said, trying to remain calm. "They'll be back," he added. Then he reached up and pulled the blue triangle off of his uniform, a move that Lucas copied. Rodriguez took the patches and found a drawer to stuff them in just as the door opened and they found themselves facing armed men.

One of the men shouted a command. Although Lucas and Rodriguez did not know exactly what he said, they both stepped back from the computer and raised their hands. The leader turned and shouted something to his men, some of whom they heard running up the stairs. Lucas and Rodriguez could only hope that the rest of the Outriggers made it out safely. Lucas felt a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach as he began to realize exactly what had happened.

 

"Get them on the rafts and get out of here! Eagle will pick you up on the water!" McKinnon ordered into her headset, as they approached their landing site. "Indy, go with Einstein and Brook; they may need help getting the hostages into the plane, then get into Hawk. Eagle will be too full, because it has to take the two rafts."

"Okay," Tim agreed, hurrying to join the others. Once they had started running from the building, time had ceased. The run to the water remained a blur. He was operating on pure adrenaline and suspected the rest of the team was too; he gave a passing thought to Lucas and Rodriguez, hoping that they were all right. "Ice sent me to join you; she's waiting for the rest," he told them, helping Adamsen and Karneering get the raft in the water. From Karneering's glare, Tim expected him to have a few words for McKinnon about remaining behind.

Fortunately, they were able to get through the reef quickly and all the hostages knew how to swim. Once they realized that they were genuinely rescued, the five hostages had responded very well, following the orders barked out by Karneering, who was currently the senior officer, with McKinnon on the beach waiting for the rest of the unit.

 

McKinnon heard the sound of pounding feet before she saw them. She froze as she saw only two figures, knowing that something had gone wrong. There would no other reason for the four not to be together.

"Ghost and Slick were compromised," Ryan said breathlessly. "Ghost ordered me to leave," she added.

McKinnon nodded, hearing the pain in Ryan's voice and knowing she could do nothing about it. "We have to go; there's no telling if they're behind us or not," she instructed, moving into action. Right now, she could not afford to think about Lucas or Rodriguez; she had five hostages and the rest of the team to protect, although her instinctive response was to go back and find out what had happened.

 

"Okay, we'll get these two in, then Brook. You and I will get the raft on board, before I climb in. You'll have to manage to get into Hawk yourself. But Hamilton will bring it in close, like Langley has with this one," Karneering told Tim, as they arrived at the helicopter. Hallowell and Dawson were waiting at the door to assist with getting the remaining two hostages on the helicopter. "Ice stayed to wait for the others," Karneering shouted at them.

"Sounds like Ice," Hallowell remarked. "It's okay, sir. I've got you," he said to Victor, as he helped him into the helicopter. "Just take a seat and Columbus will get you settled."

"Who are you guys?" Sanders asked Tim.

"Just the local welcoming committee," Karneering answered. "Okay, Brook, you're next," he instructed.

"I'm ready for a long nap," Adamsen commented, allowing Hallowell to pull her inside.

"We're ready for the raft," Dawson informed Karneering. "Pass it up to us and we'll do the rest."

"It was much easier dropping them out," Hallowell remarked.

"It usually is. Okay, I'll tell Hawk to move into position once we've cleared," Karneering told Tim. "You'll be okay?"

"Sure. Just have to tread water for a few minutes," Tim replied.

"All right; give me a hand, Casanova."

Karneering and Dawson both gave him a wave as the helicopter moved off.

Tim raised his hand and began wishing for his wetsuit as he realized just how waterlogged he was becoming. Fortunately, he could see the helicopter was already moving into position.

"You must be Indy," the voice of the pilot said, entering his headset.

"Yes, sir."

"Okay, I'll pull in close enough for you to enter. Do you know when the rest will be here?"

Tim looked out into the darkness, finally spotting the raft approaching. "Looks like they're almost here," he reported.

"Good. We don't really want to hang around here too long," the pilot replied, clearly relieved that they would be leaving soon. "All right, you can get in," Hamilton informed him, hovering just above the water.

With a little difficulty, Tim scrambled into the opening and remained by the door, knowing the others would probably need a helping hand. He felt so relieved that they had made it this far. Soon they would be back in Hawaii and this assignment would be close to ending.

 

"Sunshine, you had no choice," McKinnon said. "You had to follow the order. And we will get them back," she vowed.

"I just-" Ryan let her voice trail off for a minute. "How are we going to tell Indy?"

"I don't know," McKinnon responded.

"He's going to know as soon as we pull up to Hawk," Chandler pointed out softly, "because it's fairly obvious we're missing two people and Ghost and Slick are the obvious choices."

 

Tim felt the color drain from his face as he realized there were only three people in the raft, although he tried to allow himself a little hope by remembering Lucas did not have to be one of the missing members.

"What happened?" he questioned McKinnon, as soon as he gave her a helping hand into the helicopter. For once, she had not argued about going in first.

"They were found, Indy. I'm sorry. Sunshine and Irish couldn't do anything." McKinnon said, hopelessly.

"No," he whispered, still helping the others get on the helicopter, working automatically now. His mind rejected the image of Lucas and Rodriguez being left behind. He wanted McKinnon to tell him it was a mistake.

"Okay, Hamilton let's go," McKinnon ordered, once they had the raft inside.

"I'm sorry," Ryan told Tim, pushing him into a seat. "It happened too fast."

Tim stared blankly at her, understanding he should say something, knowing it wasn't her fault, but he couldn't. All he could do was think about the fact that they were leaving and Lucas and Rodriguez were not with them.

"He's in shock," Chandler said, reaching over to strap him in. "We'll get them back, Indy," he insisted fiercely. Like McKinnon and Ryan, he felt incredibly responsible for leaving them behind.

 

"Einstein, I need you to go to two," McKinnon spoke into her headset softly. As senior officer on the other helicopter, she would leave it to him to relay the news to others.

"Okay, we're clear on this end; we'll be in Hawaii in about thirty," Karneering reported.

"Good," McKinnon responded. It was a small comfort knowing they had succeeded in getting the hostages off the island.

"What is it?" Karneering asked, hearing something in her voice.

"Einstein, we were breached," McKinnon stated, hearing his intake of breath.

"Who?" he asked, although he feared he already knew the answer.

"Ghost and Slick. Sunshine and Irish had to retreat," McKinnon confirmed his fears. Karneering turned away from the rest of the group and closed his eyes, forcing himself to focus on the rest of what McKinnon was telling him. "Turn over the hostages to the med team that will be waiting and then tell them whatever you have to forestall any debriefings. And, whatever you do, do not let them quarantine you; we're not done yet."

"Okay," Karneering agreed, hoping he could pull this off. He didn't have much practice in this area. When it came to skirting the regulations, McKinnon and Rodriguez usually handled it. "How's Indy?" he questioned, trying to imagine how the other seaQuest member felt. Karneering felt the loss of Lucas and Rodriguez too. He liked Lucas; the teenager had shown a great deal of strength in the time he had known him, and Rodriguez was like family.

"How do you think?" McKinnon questioned, glancing over at Tim. She could see Ryan was holding his hand, trying to give him some comfort. "It hasn't fully hit him yet."

"Sunshine and Irish?"

"Feel responsible."

"And so do you," Karneering added. He had worked with McKinnon long enough to know that she was taking this personally. "We move forward from here, Ice; that's what you tell us."

"I know. I'll talk to you when we get back on land," McKinnon spoke quietly.

"All right," Karneering agreed. Then he walked over to where Brook was seated, talking to Jefferson and Victor. "Excuse us," he said softly, tapping her on the shoulder and motioning her to follow him.

"Casanova, Columbus, I need to talk to you."

"What is it?" Adamsen asked, seeing in his face that something was wrong.

Karneering waited until he had led them away from their five passengers; this was not something the hostages needed to know. "That was Ice," he started, wanting to delay this announcement, but knowing that he couldn't. "Ghost and Slick were compromised. Sunshine and Irish had to leave them behind," as he spoke the words, Karneering knew why he had always avoided being high in the chain of command.

"No," Adamsen said. "We were so close," she whispered.

"What's the plan?" Hallowell asked; he wanted to keep his mind off the reality.

"Avoid being quarantined until we go back," Karneering said.

"How's Indy?" Dawson asked, thinking of how close Tim seemed to Lucas.

"Ice doesn't think it's fully hit him yet."

 

"Stay calm," Rodriguez whispered to Lucas, as they stood facing their captors. By now, the Tarsinians were aware that the hostages were free. The commander of the group was eyeing them closely, while speaking to his men. "And remember Article One," he instructed, hating to bring it up, but knowing it was necessary.

Lucas gave a short nod, trying to keep the panic, that was welling up inside him, from completely overtaking him. He knew that,, right now he had to stay in control. However, he was scared: more scared than he had ever been in his life.

"Who are you?" the commander demanded.

"Who are you?" Rodriguez returned.

"I am Captain Jose Inouye," the man announced proudly. "Who are you and who do you work for?"

"I have nothing to say," Rodriguez said, giving the man an even stare.

Lucas had to admire the way Rodriguez sounded so calm; he doubted he could keep his voice that steady.

"Where are my guests?" Inouye asked.

Rodriguez shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know anything about guests," he replied; he wanted to keep them focused on him and away from Lucas as long as possible. "I'm just visiting."

Inouye turned to his men, giving some commands and waiting for two men to come forward. "This is Guido and Carlos, perhaps they can help you remember."

The two men walked towards them; Lucas felt a pit forming in the bottom of his stomach. He did not think any of this boded well at all. He felt Rodriguez straighten a little more.

"Now, who are you?" Inouye repeated. "Who sent you?"

"I have no comment."

"Very well," Inouye said, studying the two in front< of him. He spoke to Guido and Carlos in Tarsinian, making both Lucas and Rodriguez wish they had learned more about the language from Tim before they had left. "Perhaps we can encourage you to be a bit more cooperative," he suggested.

The one called Guido, grabbed Lucas, jerking him forward. Lucas told himself to remain calm as the man turned him, so that the teenager's back was against Guido and facing Rodriguez. Guido held one arm behind Lucas' back and had his own arm across the boy's chest.

"Where are my guests?"

Rodriguez looked at Lucas and hoped the teenager could see the apology in his eyes as he answered. He had really been hoping to avoid this situation; however, he had to follow his duty. Rodriguez could not risk revealing anything until he knew the hostages were safe. Although McKinnon should have gotten everyone off island by now, there were no guarantees.

"I don't know."

Lucas had known Rodriguez was not going to answer the question; he tried to steel himself for whatever might happen. The blow landed across his right cheek; he bit the inside of his cheek to keep from crying out. Carlos, who had delivered the strike, just stared at him, while Guido tightened his grip.

"Let's try again," Inouye told Rodriguez.

For the first time, Rodriguez found himself wishing he could deviate from the Code and forget about Article One. However, he knew he had no choice, but to hope they tired of this soon. Apparently, they had not harmed the medical team for a specific reason, since Inouye had not waited long to get physical with them. Rodriguez just hoped Lucas would forgive him when this was all over.

 

Tim felt numb; he brushed a hand across his face, not realizing he had tears coming down his face, until he felt the wetness. There weren't many, but they were enough to make Ryan's heart break and to increase the guilt she felt inside. Ryan had never walked away from anyone on a mission. She had always known it could happen; she just had not expected it to be on this one. Ryan squeezed his hand unconsciously, wanting to give him some kind of comfort.

McKinnon sat across from Tim, wishing she could say something that would fix this. She had been in this position before, before taking command of Outrigger Blue. She had always done her best to make sure it never happened again. At that moment, McKinnon would have given just about anything to have been the one left behind.

"I'm sorry," she finally said, knowing it wasn't enough. "If we could have done anything-" she started softly.

Tim wiped the tears on his face again, looked at her and nodded his head. He could see that McKinnon meant what she said. "I know," he told her. "I know," he repeated.

"We'll follow the protocol," McKinnon advised him. "We'll go back and get them."

"How? We no longer have surprise on our side," Tim reminded her dully.

"Trust me on this one. I give you my word: we will go back," McKinnon promised.

"I should have-" Ryan began.

Tim turned and looked at her. "Should have what?" he questioned. "Gotten yourself taken hostage too?" he asked. "You explained the risks to us when we agreed to come along on this. Maybe none of us expected to face the consequences, but I know that neither one of you had a choice," he told her, including Chandler in his statement. "We just have to hope for the best."

"They didn't hurt the medical team," Chandler offered, wanting to provide some kind of hope.

"Oh god," Tim groaned. "How am I going to tell the captain? And the rest of them?"

McKinnon looked at him. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, Indy," she told him.

"Ice, it won't matter when we tell them," Tim informed her. "Bridger is going to hit the roof, followed by Dr. Westphalen and the rest of the crew. I know they were not thrilled to have us on this assignment with you; when they hear about Lucas, they're going to go ballistic."

"I'm not sure what we're going to do," McKinnon sighed. McKinnon knew that, if they made a rescue attempt, it was likely that they would not be able to tell seaQuest until after the fact. Plus, she had a strong feeling that Sullivan and Ramsey would want to quash all mention of it even then. McKinnon also knew she could not accept that solution; it wouldn't be fair to Lucas, Tim or the rest of their crew to omit this part of the assignment completely.

Tim sat, thinking about how he was going to explain this. He knew how Bridger felt about Lucas: how they all felt about Lucas. However, Bridger's feelings ran a little deeper; they all knew that one of the reasons the captain had agreed to take command of the seaQuest was because of Lucas. The teenager had needed some stability in his life and Bridger had his own void to fill. Even though he wasn't here, Bridger would feel guilty for not getting Lucas released from the assignment.

Most of all, Tim felt his own guilt. Even though he had no control over the events that had led them to this point, Tim believed he should have prevented it. He felt like he had failed Lucas, the captain and the rest of the seaQuest crew.

 

"Captain Reinhardt?" Karneering greeted the officer before him on the landing pad. He had been in touch with the team that would be awaiting their arrival via the radio, prior to landing, knowing that McKinnon wanted to avoid any direct contact with command until she could talk to Sullivan. Karneering had simply offered the explanation that the commander's radio was not functioning properly. It was not an original excuse, but Captain Reinhardt had accepted it. Karneering observed that there were three ambulances waiting on the edge of the landing areas. Medics began advancing as soon as he stepped out of the helicopter.

"Commander Karneering," the man said. "What's the status?"

"We have the five hostages on board. They do not appear to by physically harmed, but they do believe they were drugged," Karneering repeated the report he had given earlier to the man.

"Then, if you and your team will accompany us, we'll get to the hospital," Reinhardt instructed.

"With all due respect, sir," Karneering began, "the hostages may join you at this time, but the unit must remain here until the arrival of the other members."

"Commander, as a doctor, you know that you have been exposed to an unknown disease."

"I'm sorry, sir, but Section forty-three, paragraph one, subsection D of the Outrigger Code of Conduct stipulates that we cannot proceed any further until we have met up with the rest of our unit and determined that our mission is completed," Karneering quoted, glad for once, that McKinnon had insisted that the team memorize all the rules in the Code. "To do so would result in the reprimand of my fellow crewmates and my appearing before a Board of Inquiry, as senior officer in charge at the site." Karneering figured it would be just enough to confuse Reinhardt.

"Very well," Reinhardt conceded; everyone knew the Outriggers followed an odd set of directives. "I assume that your unit will report to the hospital upon arrival."

"Once our assignment is finished, we will report to the hospital," Karneering agreed. "All right, let's get moving," he ordered Adamsen, Hallowell and Dawson. "I imagine these people will be happy to go to the hospital."

"Thank you so much," one of the women gushed at the quartet, as they were loaded into waiting ambulances.

"Just doing our job," Karneering responded.

"You're getting as good as Ice," Adamsen remarked, once the landing pad had been cleared of the welcoming committee and the former hostages.

"I do my best," he sighed. "Okay, Ice, you guys are clear for landing." McKinnon had ordered Hamilton to wait to land until the landing area was clear, not wanting to risk quarantine.

 

Rodriguez set Lucas on the lower bunk, wishing the teenager had passed out sooner. It might have saved him some anguish. Once Lucas had passed out, Inouye had gotten tired and had ordered two more of his men to take them upstairs. Although not in the same room the medical team had occupied, they were at least in the same building, which was good, since it was where the unit would return. Since they made most of their rescues in prison facilities of one type or another, they usually returned to the site of capture, having learned that only in very few instances did hostages get held somewhere else.

Rodriguez had carried Lucas up the stairs, not wanting anyone else touching the boy. Unfortunately, he feared Inouye would be coming back with more questions. He sighed as he thought about that witnessing the beating; it had been more horrible than if he had endured it himself.

Performing a cursory check of Lucas' injuries Rodriguez hoped they had not done any major damage to the teenager. He did not have a lot of medical training: just enough to provide basic first aid when needed. He already knew the teenager's shoulder was dislocated; that was what had made him pass out. Rodriguez shook his head; that was one scream he feared he was going to be hearing for a long time. Rodriguez was concerned about broken ribs or internal bleeding; he had no idea what to do about the latter, even if he did know how to identify it. Mainly he wished Lucas would wake up, although being unconscious was probably less painful. As if he had heard Rodriguez's internal musings, Lucas slowly opened his eyes.

"Ghost?" Lucas whispered weakly. It hurt to talk, and he felt fairly certain Carlos had done some damage to his jaw.

"Hey, Slick," Rodriguez said softly. He did not bother asking him how he felt. "I'm sorry."

Lucas looked at him. "You didn't have a choice."

"Your shoulder's dislocated; I think we should probably try to fix that," Rodriguez finally told him, after several moments of silence.

"You know how?"

"You learn lots of interesting skills when you hang out with us," Rodriguez remarked carefully; they had to be careful about what they said, since the room could be bugged.

 

"I have to report to Sullivan," McKinnon told Karneering. The team had returned to the computer room, where they had planned their mission. "Check Indy; make sure he's okay and watch Ryan. She's not taking this very well."

"Good luck," Karneering told her. "You want me to get started on planning something?" he asked. "It might help keep them busy."

"That sounds like a wise plan."

"You think Sullivan will issue a sanction?"

"I have no idea," McKinnon admitted quietly.

"Ice?" Dawson called. "There's something on screen here," he added, pointing to the computer Lucas had been using before they had left.

McKinnon was glad she had paid attention when he showed her the directory. Maybe there was something of interest to be found. She took a moment to scan the files before she saw something that caught her attention.

"What is it?" Ryan asked, looking at her face.

"I'm not sure, but it's something I can use," McKinnon told her. "I have to call Sullivan."

 

"You okay?" Karneering asked Tim, sitting down next to him. "I know it's a stupid question."

"I just can't believe it happened," Tim spoke quietly. "I can't believe that he and Ghost-"

"We're going to get them back," Hallowell promised. "Ice won't stop until we do. None of us will."

"Columbus is right," Dawson added.

"They're all right, Indy," Karneering told him firmly. "Outriggers don't walk away from their team; we're not starting now."

 

"Commander McKinnon," Sullivan greeted.

"Captain Sullivan," McKinnon acknowledged, studying him to get a feel for his mood.

"Your mission is complete?"

"No, sir," she responded.

"I'm sorry, Commander. I seem to be having difficulty hearing you."

"The five hostages, Taylor, Jefferson, Michaels, Sanders and Victor, were all successfully rescued and are currently receiving medical treatment on base," McKinnon reported. "However, mission integrity was breached. We were forced to depart-."

"I've been asked to remind you that the Tarsinians will not look favorably upon the UEO conducting a covert action on their island, particularly since the initial hostage situation was not a government action. The government only became involved in the interest of preserving the peace and protecting the hostages," Sullivan interrupted her.

"With all due respect, sir," McKinnon began, trying to follow his train of conversation.

"Let me finish, Commander," Sullivan ordered. "I have orders from Admiral Ramsey to sanction your mission if anything happens to embarrass the UEO and to order you to report back to HQ at the earliest opportunity. Any necessary quarantine would be conducted from there."

"Sir-"

"I said, let me finish, Commander," Sullivan directed her sharply. "However, I fear that I'm losing my connection, so there's only enough time for me to tell you that Commanders Madison and Tisdall would like to talk to you. They've decided to take their units to Hawaii for some refresher training. I suggest you try back later to give your mission briefing."

"Certainly, sir," McKinnon agreed, as the link abruptly ended. She had gotten the message. Commanders Lily Madison and Peter Tisdall, led Outrigger White and Outrigger Gold respectively. Sullivan was putting his career on the line for the team. She had gotten more than expected.

 

"Slick, there's no other way to put it," Rodriguez told Lucas, sitting down next to him. "This is going to hurt like hell." Rodriguez did not like the idea of doing this any more than Lucas did, but he recognized that he could not leave the teenager's shoulder dislocated.

"Ghost, your bedside manner stinks," Lucas informed him with more spirit than he felt.

"I don't have the formal training that Einstein has in that," Rodriguez admitted.

"You do know what you're doing?"

"Unfortunately, yes. I had to help Einstein do this for Casanova in the field one time."

"I guess I should be grateful for that."

Rodriguez leaned over to speak in his ear. "It won't any worse than jumping out of the airplane, I promise."

"Just do it, before I change my mind," Lucas instructed.

"If you're ready."

"I'm not going to get any more ready," Lucas assured him. "You want me to count to three?"

"I don't want that much time to think about it. Just do it!" Lucas hissed at him, gritting his teeth.

"Well, that went well," Rodriguez sighed, moments later. As soon as Rodriguez had put his shoulder back in place, Lucas passed out again. Not that Rodriguez blamed him. He slid down to sit on the floor, leaning his back on the bunk; climbing up to the top bunk was more effort than he wanted to exert. Plus, he wanted to stay close to Lucas.

 

"She's been gone a long time," Adamsen worried.

"Probably arguing," Dawson remarked.

"Will they sanction the mission?" Tim asked, remembering the conversation they had before the team left for Tarsinia.

"It's a possibility," Chandler admitted. "But Ice won't let that stop her."

"We're about to find out," Hallowell said.

"Where's Ryan?" McKinnon asked, entering the room and noticing that Ryan wasn't present.

"She went for a walk," Karneering informed her. He walked over so he could talk without being overheard. "She's not dealing with this very well," he added.

"Okay, let me go find her: see if I can help. Then we have to get to work," McKinnon told them. "The clock is ticking; Rodriguez will expect us to follow protocol."

 

McKinnon found Ryan sitting on a bench outside, her head in her hands. "Come on Sunshine; we have work to do."

"I should have done something," Ryan said, not looking at McKinnon.

"There was nothing for you to do, Sunshine," McKinnon pointed out. "Ghost gave you an order and, if you had tried anything, you would have likely been taken as well."

"Slick shouldn't have been there."

"He knew the risks and I think he accepted them."

"He's just a kid."

McKinnon nodded her head and decided it was time for a different approach. There wasn't time to go through Ryan's guilt right now. There would be time later for them to all come to peace with the turn of events. Right now, McKinnon had to concentrate on getting the two members of her team back.

"Pull yourself together, Commander Ryan," she ordered firmly. "We don't have time to think about the what ifs; we have to figure out how we're going to get them back."

"Ice-.."

"No, Commander. You are the second in command of this unit right now and I expect you act like it, because we can't afford to worry about anything but going back and getting them."

"Yes, Commander," Ryan responded formally, reacting to the tone of McKinnon's voice and the ingrained response of following orders.

 

"How did Sullivan react?" Karneering asked, when McKinnon and Ryan returned. He noted that Ryan did not look as devastated as before and McKinnon had her command face on.

"Well, Captain Sullivan had been instructed by Admiral Ramsey to sanction the mission," McKinnon stated.

"Oh no," Adamsen said.

"Fortunately, the link was cut before he issued the order," she announced.

"What does that mean?" Tim asked.

"It means we haven't been forbidden to go back and retrieve them."

"That's something," Ryan said softly.

"How are we going to rescue them?" Tim inquired; he was glad the mission had not been sanctioned, but he really wanted details.

"The old-fashioned way," McKinnon informed him. "We're going in hard and fast and we play for keeps, which means we will use live ammunition. Covert isn't going to work: they'll be expecting that. Although, as soon as the Tarsinians contact UEO command, HQ will deny involvement, it might throw them off a little."

"Just one problem, Ice," Ryan spoke up.

"What?"

"We don't have the manpower. There are only eight of us," Ryan pointed out.

"You never could count, Ryan," a voice from the back of the room called out. "Commander Lily Madison, Outrigger White, reporting for duty," the woman announced. "Isn't it fortunate my gang needed a refresher course?"

"Welcome aboard, Commander," McKinnon greeted.

Tim watched as Madison and about fifteen others filed into the room, dressed like Outrigger Blue, except they had white triangles on.

"Sorry, we're late, got held up by poor winds," another voice said. "Commander Aaron Tisdall, Outrigger Gold, reporting for duty."

"This is one of the good things about being an Outrigger," Chandler whispered to Tim. "When one of you is down, it gets personal."

"Find a seat," McKinnon invited Tisdall and his group of twelve. "As you can see, Outrigger White and Gold happen to be in Hawaii for a training course. They've offered their assistance."

"How did you get here so fast?" Karneering asked. There had not been enough time from when Rodriguez and Lucas being taken for them to be dispatched.

"You should know better than that, Karneering," Tisdall told him.

"McKinnon called us once she got the idea you guys might be going on a sanction mission," Madison added.

"I wanted to make sure we had all our options open," McKinnon remarked when they all looked at her, "because I knew, if this went bad, we were going to have to make an open strike. I hoped to avoid it, but we can't."

"You must be O'Neil," Madison spoke to Tim softly, tuning out the general conversation for a moment.

"Yeah, I am," Tim responded, wondering how she knew.

"You're the only I didn't recognize," she explained. "Your friend, Wolenczak, he's one of us; we will make sure he's okay," she promised.

Tim realized she was sincere: that, to the Outriggers, Lucas was a member of their team. "Thanks."

"From what McKinnon says, he's got a lot of guts. You both do," Madison commented. "And I've never known her to lie about something like that."

 

"At least they haven't been back," Lucas commented, after he had regained consciousness. He was surprised, but oddly comforted, to find Rodriguez sitting by the bed.

"I just wish we could count on that," Rodriguez sighed. "How's the shoulder?"

"It hurts. Next time, I think I'll wait for drugs to be involved."

"I certainly hope there isn't a next time."

Lucas looked at him. "You can't back down now, Ghost. You have to follow the rules."

"Some times rules are meant to be broken."

"Not this one. Would it be different if it were Sunshine or Ice or Indy?" Lucas asked.

Rodriguez looked at him and nodded his head, somewhat reluctantly.

"Why? Because they're older? That's not fair."

"Slick, only you would argue about something like this."

"If I was old enough to come along, then you can't treat me any different," Lucas hissed.

"You're going to be difficult about this, aren't you?"

"I'm not being difficult. I'm reminding you of your duty to the rest."

"I liked it better when you were unconscious," Rodriguez grumbled, as the door opened. Unfortunately, Inouye was back with Guido and Carlos. He felt Lucas stiffen beside him.

"Glad to see you're back with us," Inouye directed his comment at Lucas.

Lucas was tempted to respond, but decided silence was a good idea.

"You know, Mr. X, -that's what I must call you, since you haven't told me your name,- I've learned a lot in my career," Inouye remarked.

"Really?" Rodriguez inquired with more calm than he felt.

"Yes. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and I think your link is ready to break. It just needs a push in the right direction."

Lucas swallowed nervously; he had no doubts as to whom Inouye viewed as the weak link in their chain.

Then he promised himself that, no matter what happened, he could handle it. He was not going to let Inouye or anyone else make him betray the other Outriggers or Rodriguez.

 

"I need to talk to you," McKinnon told Tim, while the others were discussing the logistics of the plan. "Let's go outside," she invited.

"What is it?" Tim asked her, once they were seated on a bench.

"It's about notifying your captain."

"What about it?"

"Do you want to do it now, before we go back, or do you want to tell him after the fact?" McKinnon inquired. "I'm sure that seaQuest will be notified that their negotiation skills will no longer be needed. However, Sullivan won't authorize the release of this information. In fact, the only mention your captain will get about you two is that you're still on assignment."

"You'll get in trouble if we tell them before," Tim stated.

"That's not my concern. I've been in trouble before," McKinnon informed him. "I just want to know what you're most comfortable with doing."

Tim sat silent for a few minutes, trying to decide what decision to make. "Either way, no one's going to be happy," he sighed. "If we tell Bridger now, he'll be worried. And I'm assuming, that in order to protect the mission, we wouldn't be able to tell him where we are," he added.

"That's right," McKinnon confirmed.

"Which won't help matters," Tim reasoned. "As much as I know he's going to kill me when he finds out, I think we'd better wait until after we get them back. At least then we'll be able to tell seaQuest he's safe," he justified, trying to convince himself, more than McKinnon, that he was making the right decision. Tim understood that it did not matter when they told the captain; he was going to be upset. Tim looked at her. "You never said what you found on the computer, before you went to talk to Sullivan," he remembered, wanting to change the subject.

"That information will keep for now. Our primary concern right now is Ghost and Slick and getting them back. Even though we were not officially sanctioned, we need to stick to the special protocol; we delay any longer and Ramsey's going to question what's going on," McKinnon told him. "Are you okay with the way we're going to do this?"

"Well, it's out of my realm of experience, but, then again, that pretty much describes everything that's happened since we met you. I understand that you have no choice. If you try to go in under cover, it would take too long to plan, plus you no longer have the element of surprise. Making a direct strike sounds like the best option, especially since the extra help is available."

"It's one of the rewards of being an Outrigger, Indy," McKinnon remarked, noticing the surprised note in his voice when he referred to the help. "Once an Outrigger, always an Outrigger, regardless of your team assignment. As far White and Gold are concerned, the moment you two got your patches, you were Outriggers."

 

Rodriguez forced himself to stare straight ahead, without really seeing Lucas, silently offering prayers that McKinnon and the rest of Outrigger Blue arrived on time. He kept his face expressionless, knowing that, from that brief conversation with Lucas, the teenager would never forgive him if he gave anything away.

"Let's try again," Inouye said. "Who do you work for?"

"I'm self-employed," Rodriguez replied, forcing himself not to wince as Guido landed another stinging slap on the side of Lucas' face and heard the teenager's yelp of pain. He kept repeating Article One over and over in his head.

Lucas had stopped feeling most of the blows a short while ago. He just steeled himself, mentally, every time Rodriguez refused to answer the question. Lucas had ceased looking at Rodriguez about fifteen minutes into the session, for fear something in his face might make the Outrigger forget about everything and give in. Lucas knew that, ultimately, Rodriguez would never forgive himself if he violated the Code, no matter what the reason. Rodriguez was intensely loyal to the unit; betraying any information that might hurt another member would be unacceptable. Lucas did not want to be responsible for him making that choice.

"You could end this so quickly, Mr. X, yet you refuse," Inouye remarked. "I do not understand your stubbornness." Rodriguez just stared back him, not letting his body language give anything away. "Now, who are and who do you work for?" he repeated for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Rodriguez replied.

Lucas tried, but could not keep himself from crying out when Guido kicked him in the knee; he felt his leg give out from the force. He kept telling himself to stay calm that, somehow, this would all go away. He just wished he knew when.

 

"All right, let's check our gear!" McKinnon called to her unit. The other two units had already left to finish their preparations. "Remember to wear your vests when we meet; we are going live on this one." They would be taking a break to get some sleep before leaving, but McKinnon wanted everything to be ready before they stopped, so that, when they got up, they would be ready to depart.

"It's going to be okay," Adamsen told Tim, as she helped him sort through his equipment.

"At least we don't have to jump," Tim observed.

"See, you're thinking positive; that's good," Karneering told him. "Brook, can you carry some of my stuff for me?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure."

"Why?" Tim asked him, surprised at the request.

Karneering mentally cursed himself for not waiting to ask, but he didn't really have the time to delay the request. "I need the space in my bag to carry extra medical supplies," he replied softly, kicking himself when he saw Tim blanch.

"You need me to take anything?" Tim inquired, even as he felt the pit in his stomach growing at the thought of the supplies being necessary.

"No, I'm already covered," Karneering responded. He did not bother to mention that McKinnon and Chandler, being trained medics, also carried supplies, or that Ryan, Hallowell and Dawson had agreed to take extra gear for them. Karneering felt this was not an image that needed to be etched in Tim's mind before they left.

As much as they wanted to believe in the best for Lucas and Rodriguez, Karneering knew they had to be prepared for the worst. That meant carrying as many supplies as possible. McKinnon had already conversed with Madison and Tisdall about possibly needing their doctors when they left Tarsinia.

Tim tried not to let his mind get too far ahead of itself, but he found himself unable to escape the images of what could be happening to Lucas and Rodriguez. The fact that the Tarsinians had not physically harmed the medical team offered little comfort. Tarsinians had a high regard for respect and honor; the fact Lucas and Rodriguez had been involved in the escape of the hostages would likely anger their captors.

"Hey, Indy, why don't you bunk with us today?" Hallowell suggested. He and Chandler had discussed the fact that the last thing Tim needed was to go back and sleep in the room he had shared with Rodriguez and Lucas. He needed to sleep, not worry about the other two.

"Thanks, I think I will," Tim agreed, understanding and appreciating the offer. He did not want to go back to the room: not without either one of his roommates.

 

"What about Lucas and O'Neil? When do I get them back?" Bridger questioned Noyce, who had just notified him that the seaQuest's presence was no longer needed.

"The last time I checked with Captain Sullivan they were still on assignment," Noyce told him.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"You're to head to the Philippines and pick up a science team that needs to return to Hawaii and continue your leave there until the UEO needs you, or the Outriggers are finished with Wolenczak and O'Neil; that's the best I can do for you," Noyce sighed.

"That's not much good."

"I'm sorry. Sullivan and Ramsey have this thing sewn up pretty tight; there's no information available on what Outrigger Blue is involved in."

"All right, thank you," Bridger said. The link ended, and Bridger prepared to notify Ford about their assignment being completed and the change in course to the Philippines. "Come in!" he called, as there was a knock on the door. "Hello, Doctor," he greeted.

"I've found the disease!" Kristin announced triumphantly.

"That's great. Just in time for us to leave the area," Bridger commented dryly, wondering why things tended to work out that way.

"Why?" she demanded.

"The hostage situation has been resolved. According to Noyce the UEO sent in a team to get the hostages out, rather than wait for negotiations. He said the Secretary-General made the decision at the last minute. However, I'm sure they'll be happy to hear you've discovered the cause of the illness. What is it?"

"It's a an unusual hybrid variety of chicken pox," she explained. "That's why the medical team did not get ill; they're immune."

"Why didn't they figure it out?"

"Because it didn't occur to them to check for chicken pox or its derivatives; the UEO hasn't had a case in years."

"Well, forward your information to Noyce; he'll get it to the proper authorities."

"Any word on Lucas and Tim?"

"No. We're headed to the Philippines to pick up a science team that needs to get to Hawaii, and take leave while we await their return or for HQ to have another assignment for us. Noyce says he can't get any information on their task or location."

"This whole thing is ridiculous! I can't understand why they insisted on their participation anyway!"

"I don't either," Bridger said softly. "I don't either." He just knew that, each day Lucas and Tim were away, he worried about them more.

 

Rodriguez set Lucas down on the bunk, so that he leaned against the wall, not wanting him to lie down, since his nose was bleeding. Then he tore off a piece of his T-shirt, needing something to stem the flow of blood. He hadn't figured out what to do about the teenager's leg. Rodriguez feared it might be broken; after the first blow to Lucas' knee, Guido had hit him in the same leg four more times. "Here, let me," Rodriguez said, when Lucas seemed unable to hold the cloth to his nose for any length of time. He applied pressure, figuring, at this stage, Lucas could not really afford to be losing any amount of blood. Rodriguez wished he knew what time it was. He was counting on McKinnon to stick to sixteen hours; he just didn't know how much time had passed. It seemed like a long time, but he knew that could just be the situation.

"Ouch," Lucas mumbled, as Rodriguez brushed one of the bruises on his face.

"Sorry," Rodriguez whispered. He checked to see if the bleeding had stopped and was relieved that it had.

"How's your leg?" he asked.

"It hurts," Lucas admitted. "I'm not sure beyond that."

"Let me take a look," Rodriguez requested, helping him lie down on the bunk. He tried to be gentle, but he could tell that, when he moved the leg, it caused the teenager considerable pain. Rodriguez started moving Lucas' pant leg up; the Tarsinians had taken their jumpsuits earlier, so he only had the jeans to deal with. For once, he was grateful for McKinnon's insistence that they wear the jeans and T-shirts under their jumpsuits when in the field. Normally, he grumbled at the regulation; now he vowed never to make another comment about it. Unfortunately, he found it hard to roll the cloth up enough to see.

"Stop!" Lucas finally gasped. "I'm sorry," he apologized, "but I can't take it any more. There's nothing you can do for it anyway."

Rodriguez nodded; he had already seen enough. There was already a large bruise forming on his lower leg.

"Okay, take it easy," he spoke softly.

Both glanced at the door as it opened. Rodriguez felt Lucas tense up and hated the cause of it. A man entered, set a tray on the floor and left without saying a word. Rodriguez glanced at the food and wondered if they dared try it. Unfortunately, it could be drugged and he wasn't sure he wanted to risk it. However, Rodriguez also knew Lucas needed all the strength he could get.

Lucas saw the conflict on Rodriguez's face and could almost hear his thoughts. "Don't worry about it," he told him. "I don't think I could keep anything down right now anyway."

"Why don't you try to get some sleep," Rodriguez suggested.

"I will, if you will," Lucas offered. "You've had a long day," he added with a weak smile.

"Okay, maybe they'll stay away for a while," Rodriguez commented hopefully.

"I don't think I'll hold my breath."

After Rodriguez climbed on the top bunk, Lucas lay thinking, mainly about Tim and seaQuest. He hoped the lieutenant was not blaming himself right now. He did not want Tim feeling responsible. It was no one's fault. Lucas also wondered if Bridger had heard. He hoped not; he didn't want him to worry either. Lucas also thought about the Outriggers; although they had not discussed it, for fear of revealing something important, he knew Rodriguez expected McKinnon and the rest to come to their rescue. Most of the time he believed in it too, however, there were moments, like right now, when he had his doubts. Then he thought about what was happening. Lucas felt kind of lucky to be on the receiving end; he wasn't sure he could watch the Tarsinians beat up Rodriguez and keep calm; to him it seemed like the harder job. The teenager sighed softly as he realized he was having trouble keeping this thoughts in order.

Rodriguez had his own thoughts turning over in his head, centered primarily on how he was going to keep Lucas protected without breaking Article One. He knew McKinnon well enough to remain confident that Outrigger Blue would come back for them. However, he just did not know how much more Lucas could take before they did permanent damage. Rodriguez wasn't even sure that they hadn't already; he just didn't know enough about medicine.

 

Bridger did not know what had possessed him to visit Lucas' room. He had suddenly felt the overwhelming need to be close to the teenager, which was why he sat on the boy's bunk, trying to figure out what he could have done to prevent this temporary duty assignment. When it had come up, he thought it would be a great opportunity for both Lucas and Tim. The Outriggers were, from all accounts, an unusual group and very skilled at their jobs. Although Lucas had grumbled a little about losing leave, Bridger thought it was more for form than any real objections. Still, as he sat thinking about the two, he wondered if he should have taken him more seriously.

 

Tim lay awake on the bunk, unable to fall asleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he found himself thinking about Lucas and Rodriguez, wondering where they were sleeping tonight or if they were asleep. Finally, he sighed, and climbed out of bed quietly. He needed some fresh air. Chandler heard the noise and wondered if he should follow. He was almost ready to get out bed when he heard another door open and close and realized someone else must have gone out after him.

 

McKinnon stood, watching Tim for a moment, before she joined him. That he was up did not surprise her; she had expected he would not sleep much. "You okay?"

"Every time I close my eyes, I think about both of them," he said. "I keep wondering what they're doing."

"I know," McKinnon said softly. She suffered from the same problem. "Some times I think it's easier being the captured one than the one left behind."

Tim looked at her. "I'm sorry," he apologized.

"What for?"

"Here I am acting like I'm the only one that has a friend back there," Tim told her. "I know that, for you guys, leaving Ghost behind was just as hard. You've served with him a long time."

"Yes, we have," she agreed. "And I would give just about anything to be in his place right now or Slick's. It's one of the things I hate about being the commander some times," she added. "Having to make decisions that put people in danger."

"But you're good at it."

"Some days I believe that more than others."

"If you weren't good, you wouldn't have people like Ghost and Sunshine following you. Or Madison and Tisdall willing to put their units in your hands. I know that if I didn't trust you, I would have called seaQuest as soon as we landed."

 

Lucas tried to stop the man, but he was too far away.

"Don't!" he yelled.

Rodriguez was instantly awake, as he heard the shout. Jumping off his bunk, he grabbed Lucas by the shoulders.

"Slick!" he spoke firmly, hoping to wake him up quickly.

"Sorry," Lucas apologized, gasping for air and trying to stop his trembling.

"What did you dream?" Rodriguez asked gently, shifting Lucas slightly so that he could sit on the bed with him. He leaned his back against the wall, letting Lucas rest against his chest. There was no way Rodriguez was going to leave him while he was shaking like this. He figured that it was a sign of how upset the boy was when he offered no protest. He had noticed that Lucas did not seem very comfortable with people touching him. It wasn't that he didn't like it; it was like the teenager was unaccustomed to it.

"Nothing," Lucas mumbled.

"I let you get away with that story back at camp," Rodriguez said. "But I'm not buying it now. We're in this together, Slick; that means you have to share," he ordered softly.

"It was just a dream."

"Let me explain something to you, my friend, my younger sister, Ana, she's a master at avoidance, so you can try whatever you want, but you are going to tell me. I know all the tricks."

"Tell me about your sister."

"After you tell me about your dream," Rodriguez bargained.

"We were being questioned again," Lucas muttered quietly; Rodriguez could barely hear him. "Only it was reversed."

Rodriguez nodded his head. "Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen," he sighed. "Without meaning to, we've become a challenge to Inouye," he remarked.

"What do you mean?"

"You were supposed to break and talk, hence his comment about the weakest link. Or I was supposed to crack. Now, it's an honor thing. If he changes tactics and goes after me physically, he'll see it as a loss of face to him, because he misjudged the situation."

"That's kind of strange."

"Well, people like him do not rely on logic to function, at least not the kind of logic the rest of the world uses." Lucas was silent for several minutes; Rodriguez could not tell if the teenager was thinking or if he had gone back to sleep. "Slick, you still with me?" he asked softly.

"Tell me about your sister," Lucas reminded him, trying to sound like he had been paying attention. Lucas did not want Rodriguez to know that he found himself drifting periodically. Plus, he wanted to think about something else besides the situation, his pain and his dream.

"Which one?" Rodriguez inquired, looking down at him. Seeing that the boy's eyes were closed, he allowed the horror he felt every time he saw Lucas' face to show. Rodriguez supposed they were lucky that Guido and Carlos had not blackened the teenager's left eye. It was about the only place on his face that they had not hit. However, Rodriguez noticed that Inouye seemed to prefer the right side; that seemed to be where they hit him the most.

"How many-.?" Lucas was tired and it took a lot of effort to speak.

"Five," Rodriguez replied, shifting his position, trying to get Lucas more comfortable, hoping the boy would go to sleep.

"Tell me about your twin," Lucas requested weakly.

"Elena? You'd probably like her and I know she would love you," Rodriguez told him with a smile. "She likes anyone that gives me a hard time. She thinks it shows great character."

"She's right."

"And she's tough: not in a hard way, but determined. I've never known her to back down from anything she believes in. She also has a great sense of humor. She's the kind of person that can make you laugh no matter how bad your day has been." Rodriguez kept talking until Lucas drifted back to sleep. Rodriguez sat there, letting the teenager rest on him, hoping they got out of there quickly.

 

"You get any sleep?" Chandler asked Tim in the morning. He had never heard the lieutenant return to the room.

"Yeah, I got up for a bit," Tim confessed.

"I know; I heard. I was going to follow, but then I heard another door open."

"Thanks for thinking of it. And thank you both," Tim included Hallowell in his comment, "for letting me bunk here. I wasn't ready to sleep in that room: not with both of them gone. Who would have thought I would miss Ghost throwing the alarm clock at the door?"

"Well, you get used to things and, when they're gone, it hurts," Hallowell observed.

"You're right about that," Tim agreed, remembering the times when having Lucas around had been annoying. Now, he would give anything to have the teenager bothering him with questions. Tim never thought Lucas intended to be irritating; he just had an endless curiosity that was overwhelming at times.

 

"What's wrong, Casanova?" Adamsen asked Dawson, who was in the computer room, staring at his computer.

"Slick's no longer showing up on tracking," he said glumly.

Adamsen sat down across from him. "You know that doesn't mean anything; it could have malfunctioned," she pointed out. "And he wasn't taken hostage just because you didn't realize he reacted to the locator. He'll be with Ghost."

"What if they separated them?"

"Not likely. I don't see Ghost allowing it."

"He's not in a position to stop them."

Adamsen sighed and looked up as McKinnon walked in the door. "Excuse me," she told him. Waving at McKinnon, she walked over to join the commander. "You need to talk to Casanova."

"What's wrong?"

"Slick's locator stopped working. He's taking responsibility."

"All right, I'll see what I can do," McKinnon replied. "How's Sunshine?"

"Better, I think. It helps that Indy doesn't blame her."

"Good. We have to stay focused on upcoming events."

"She'll be fine."

"Einstein!" McKinnon yelled, seeing Karneering had arrived. "I want to talk to you."

"Now?"

"In a few minutes. I have some thing else to handle first."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Let me go to talk to Dawson," McKinnon excused herself from Adamsen.

"Slick's no longer being tracked," Dawson informed her, before she had fully reached him.

"So I've heard. Not your fault, Casanova."

"I still should have-"

"Yes, you should have. But you weren't the only one that made the mistake. However, that doesn't mean it's your fault that this happened. It just did and, unfortunately, it's one of the risks we take. But we can't change the events. All we can do is try to make them turn out in our favor. And that's what we're going to do."

"Is this why they made you commander, Ice?" Dawson asked. "Because you're so reasonable and can make it sound all right?"

"Of course. That and my sparkling wit and charming personality."

"Thanks."

"Okay. I have to go talk to Einstein."

 

"What's up?" Karneering asked. "We need to talk about Sunshine," McKinnon told him seriously.

"You're afraid she'll freeze?"

"It's possible; we need to be prepared. That's why I want to trade you and Columbus."

"Why?"

"Chain of command: you are next in line."

"I'm a doctor," he protested.

"You're an Outrigger," she reminded him. "If Sunshine can't act, you have to. We can't afford any errors or hesitations. Personally, I think she'll pull through it. But I can't take the risk, professionally. I want to give her a chance; she needs it. However, I will not endanger the team."

"I understand. What are you going to tell her for the switch?"

"That's easy. We're breaking into two teams; I want each team to have medical personnel. Irish and I are just medic trained; it makes sense for us to be together and you to be alone than you to be with one of us."

"That's why they pay you the big bucks, isn't it?"

"So they tell me."

"What about Indy?"

"He'll be fine. He's determined to see this through. He'd never forgive himself if he failed in the end to even try to help out."

"You're right. He and Slick are pretty close."

"I get the impression that nearly everyone Slick meets adopts him," McKinnon observed. "At least, once they get past the initial stuff."

"Probably," Karneering agreed. "Of all the people he could have been captured with, you left him in good hands."

"I hope you're right."

 

Lucas opened his eyes and looked up at Rodriguez, surprised the man could be sleeping sitting up. He had a feeling that, if he remembered to ask him about it later, Rodriguez would give him some comment about it part of being an Outrigger. After further thought, Lucas realized he would probably be right.

"You're awake," Rodriguez spoke softly, smiling when Lucas jumped.

"Would you stop doing that?" Lucas hissed.

"Can't help myself. You are one of the jumpiest people I've ever met."

"And that makes it okay?"

"Sure it does. How do you feel?" "Go back to sleep; you need your rest."

"What about you-" Lucas let his voice trail off, discovering he had lost his train of thought.

Rodriguez glanced at him. "I'm fine," he replied, figuring it was a safe answer.

"You should sleep, too."

"I will," Rodriguez promised. "I can sleep just about anywhere; it's comes with being an Outrigger. Beds aren't always available."

"Okay. It's cold," Lucas mumbled.

"You want me to get the other blanket?" Rodriguez inquired.

"No, don't go," Lucas pleaded, his voice cracking.

"Okay, I won't," Rodriguez agreed. "How's your knee?"

"It still hurts."

"What about your shoulder?"

"Did you have a burning desire to go to medical school or something?" Lucas asked, feeling slightly exasperated.

"Hey, I'm the one that hates going to the doctor, remember?"

"Well, you seem to want to practice on me," Lucas grumbled.

"Would I do such a thing?"

"Ghost, does this conversation strike you as a little odd?" Lucas asked, after a few moments of silence. "I mean, we're being held hostage and we're-"

"Surviving it, Slick," Rodriguez finished for him. "Fortunately, you and I have the same survival skills. We get sarcastic and we engage in strange arguments that have no meaning, because it's something we can direct, because you and I share that trait too; neither one of us likes to be out of control."

"That makes sense, I think."

"Of course it does. You just don't want to admit I'm right," Rodriguez informed him. "Now, will you try to go to sleep?"

 

"Okay, one slight change of plan," McKinnon announced to her team, as they ran through their final check. "Columbus and Einstein will be trading teams, so Columbus goes to Team One and Einstein joins Team Three."

"How come?" Adamsen asked.

"I want medical staff on each team. Irish and I are already on Team One; it's easier to switch Einstein off."

"It makes sense," Chandler agreed. "I just have the basic medic training; this way Ice is there to assist or I can assist her."

"There is also the ammunition issue," McKinnon added. "Since we are the ones actually going inside to get Ghost and Slick, I've decided that we don't all need to go in live. So, on Team One, both Columbus and I will be armed with the real ammunition; Indy and Irish will continue using the immobilizing function. On Three, Sunshine and Brook will be live; Einstein and Casanova will stick with immobilizing. I want to reduce the risk of any of us getting hit in the crossfire."

"Why are we using One and Three?" Tim questioned Ryan.

"Team Two is Ghost and Slick; we won't use that designation until we get them back," Ryan explained.

"Oh. Another tradition?"

"Yes. It's acknowledging that we haven't forgotten them," Dawson interjected.

"That makes sense," Tim remarked.

"Also, we need to keep in mind the safety of Ghost and Slick. Neither one of them will be armed, nor will they have vests. We're going to have to provide protection for them. They will also be without their radios, so they won't be in our communications loop. They don't know the plan, so it's important that we make sure to keep them safe," McKinnon reminded her team.

Tim swallowed nervously; he had not really considered these details. Once again, Tim remembered why he usually preferred the safety of his communications station on seaQuest. The assignment with the Outriggers gave him an appreciation for the risks some of the crew on seaQuest took, especially those who handled security.

"Are there any questions?" McKinnon asked. "Okay, please remember that channel one is open communications for us; channel two is for Outrigger White; three is for Outrigger Gold; and four is an open channel for all us. We will stay on four, unless we need to discuss something the others might find confusing. There will be a brief inspection in thirty minutes. Make sure you have everything. Dismissed!"

 

"Come on, Indy; let's make sure your weapon is fully charged," Ryan told Tim.

"I didn't use it," Tim reminded her.

"Then it should be okay, but we want to double check just in case," Ryan remarked. "You going to be okay?"

"I think so. How about you?"

"I'll feel better once we have them back."

"It wasn't your fault."

"The logical part of me knows that; the emotional part of me doesn't," Ryan admitted softly. "They were part of my team and I left them."

"You had no choice. You know Ghost would have never forgiven you if you hadn't followed orders and ended up being captured too."

"I know. I know. He would have brought me up on charges for disobeying an order," she commented with a smile.

"We'd better get ready," Tim suggested.

"Yeah. Ice hates it when someone holds up her schedule."

 

"So, now we're going to the Philippines and we still don't know where Tim and Lucas are or when they'll be back," Miguel complained to his dinner companions: Ben and Katie.

"That's it. Apparently, the Outriggers are staying pretty quiet about where they are," Katie confirmed. "And why did they keep us stuck waiting for negotiations when they went in and took the hostages out of Tarsinia?"

"That's command logic for you," Ben remarked. "Besides, the Secretary-General didn't make the decision until the last minute," he quoted.

"Yeah, right, Ben," Miguel said sarcastically. "They probably had it in the works before we even got the assignment."

"Well, not much we can do about it now," Katie pointed out.

"I just wish they'd let us know where they are," Miguel grumbled. "I mean, they're part of our crew. It's too quiet," he continued.

"They'll be back soon," Katie assured him. "You know Bridger isn't going to let them be gone indefinitely."

"I don't think he has a lot of control over this situation," Miguel commented. "He couldn't stop them from going."

"The Outriggers operate under their own rules," Ben interjected. "They, apparently, have a regulation for every situation and, if they don't, they make one up."

"Make sure you tell the doctor that one, Ben," Katie advised. "I'm sure it will comfort her greatly."

"Are you ever going to let that go?"

"Not likely," Miguel observed, earning a glare from Katie. "I just want to know where they are. And they looked so odd in those uniforms."

"Especially Lucas," Katie agreed. "I'm sure we'll get news soon."

"I hope so," Ben said. Like the others, the longer Lucas and Tim were gone, his worry increased.

Although Ben was glad to have Lucas around, he thought it was a shame that the sixteen-year-old had ended up on seaQuest. The boy should be living at home, around family and friends. Unfortunately, it had become quickly apparent that Lucas felt more at home on seaQuest than he had anywhere else. Still, that did not mean the Outriggers should have been able to deploy him. Ben had woken up, several times, from dreaming about Lucas going on an assignment that required a gun. Actually, the image of Tim needing a weapon did not sit very well either.

 

Tim climbed on the helicopter and found himself sitting between Ryan and Karneering. He had the suspicion it was planned, given the amount of whispering that had accompanied everyone getting settled in their seats. McKinnon was in the back of the plane, carrying on a conversation with Madison and Tisdall via the radio.

The basic plan had Outrigger White and Gold providing air cover for the Blues to land and get into the building. They were split into small teams on helicopters. The idea was to give them greater coverage and give the Tarsinians the impression that there was more support for the strike than actually existed. They hoped to keep most of the guards occupied outside the building, while the Blues located Lucas and Rodriguez. Since Dawson still had location on Rodriguez, they hoped to find them quickly, once inside. Plus, McKinnon was relying on Rodriguez, if not both, to realize what was happening and make Tim knew there were still a lot of things that could go wrong, the most important of which was that the Tarsinian nationals could have moved the two. However, the Outriggers seemed to feel fairly confident that this had not happened.

"Well, this is definitely more excitement than I've ever seen before," Tim finally said.

"We'll get you to quit and sign up with us, yet," Ryan teased lightly.

"Not in my lifetime," Tim assured her.

"What? You have something against us?" Adamsen asked, from the other side of Karneering.

"Personally? No. Professionally, I don't see how you can handle this," Tim told her. "What makes you all want to do this?"

"Everyone has their own reasons for joining the Outriggers," Ryan replied thoughtfully. "Most of us wouldn't really fit into a regular tour. Like Ice," she explained. "She's too willing to bend the rules to fit in somewhere else. She'd never get promoted. She's the kind of person that has no trouble telling a CO she thinks they're dumb."

"And you?"

"I wasn't getting much chance to use my training, and I felt like this was a way to make a difference," Ryan answered. "I have a job here and people that count on me to do it. That's more than I felt I had before I joined the Outriggers."

"Some get into it because they like the rush," Dawson added. "But Ice won't let them put any of those on her team."

"She gets that much say?" Tim questioned, surprised.

"Ice has the best record in the Outriggers," Karneering told him, "both as a unit member and a commander. If she says she wants something done, no one really tries to stop her."

"Why do you think Madison and Tisdall are here?" Chandler inquired.

"It seemed kind of like the type of thing you would do for them," Tim remarked.

"That and the fact Ice served under Tisdall for a while," Adamsen informed him. "HQ sent Gold and Green out on a joint mission under Tisdall's command. Ice was second or third on Green. They weren't given all the information they needed and not everyone made it out. When they tried to pin the failure on Tisdall, Ice stood up for him, brought all sorts of evidence into the Board of Inquiry and got the others to join her."

"Then they transferred her to the Blues and now we have the best reputation of any of the units, mainly because of her," Ryan added.

"It's not just me, Sunshine," McKinnon called, having caught the tail end of the conversation. She always felt awkward when people attributed the team's success to her. She truly believed it was a squad effort. "You all do your part, too."

"Just accept it, Ice; without you, we'd be just another Outrigger unit," Hallowell interjected.

"You made us a team, Ice," Karneering put in. "And you know it."

"If it weren't for you, I'd still be on support staff," Adamsen reminded her. "They didn't want to send me into the field," she explained to Tim. "My psych eval said I liked to play it too safe. In their minds, caution is a good thing, but too much can endanger the team. And that they also said I talked too much, which they took to mean that, at the first sign of trouble, I'd be spilling my guts. Ice started bugging them about it until they let me go in the field."

"Their tests are not always accurate," McKinnon commented, shrugging her shoulders. "I just pointed that out."

"By having the entire unit take the tests and give these absolutely bizarre answers so that they thought we were all nuts," Chandler added. "Then telling them it was the strain of not having Brook on the team."

"It worked."

"Which is the important thing," Ryan remarked.

"Rumor says you're all nuts anyway," Tim pointed out. "No matter what your psych evals may or may not say."

"And you believe everything you hear?"

"Well, I didn't believe the part about you having no morals. But the sanity issue is still undecided."

"You've definitely been hanging out with us too long," Karneering told him.

 

"Don't feel bad," Ryan commented to Tim, a few minutes later. "It's natural."

Tim looked at her, wondering how she knew what he was thinking. "How-?"

"It's a way to forget the stress for a few minutes: to pretend everything is normal. It doesn't mean you don't care about them. I'm sure that they've had their moments of strange conversations."

"Given that they can't be together for longer than five minutes without insulting one another, you're probably right," Tim agreed. "It just feels weird to be acting like this is nothing special."

"I know; we all feel that way. However, it's all part of staying calm and not being too hasty about anything. They're counting on us to our jobs; we have to make sure we have the right mindset."

 

Karneering listened to Ryan talk for a few moments and nodded to himself. Then he moved to talk to McKinnon.

"I think Sunshine's found her focus," he whispered.

"I figured she would; she's a professional. But I'm still glad we made the trade. Gives us more balance."

"True. Have we heard any more about the quarantine possibilities? And what did you tell the doctors on base?"

"I haven't been in communication with anyone since Sullivan and I lost our connection," McKinnon replied.

"You are going to get yourself in trouble, aren't you?"

"Couldn't afford the risk. If Ramsey finds out Sullivan never issued the sanction officially, he'll find a way to do it, so I couldn't afford to make any contact with official sources. Madison reported that there's no change in the status of the disease; they still don't know what it is. Tisdall heard that seaQuest is being sent to the Philippines to pick up the science team that's been there the past six months."

"Keeping them sort of in the area without being too close."

"Something like that."

"You tell Indy?"

"No. I didn't see the point."

"Probably right."

"You better sit down; we're getting close," McKinnon advised him.

"You're the boss."

"So they keep telling me."

 

Lucas started counting in his head, hoping it would take his mind off everything that was going on around him, although he found it hard to focus on the simple task; his mind was hazy. Inouye had summoned them for more questioning. The teenager suspected that, if Carlos had not been holding him, he would probably have fallen over, although he had noticed that Guido and Carlos were good at producing pain without causing a lot of serious damage. As far as Lucas could tell, he had not broken anything; he was just badly bruised. However, not being a doctor, he really did not know for sure. He heard Rodriguez give another answer that Inouye did not like and steeled himself for the next blow. As much as he tried to, he could not prevent the groan that escaped. It was not that he was trying to be brave or stoic; Lucas just did not want Rodriguez to feel too guilty about the situation. Drawing in a ragged breath, Lucas waited to see what would happen next.

"I fail to understand why you persist in your refusal to answer my question, Mr. X," Inouye complained. "It does not make sense. Don't you care about your friend?"

Rodriguez looked back at their captor and did not bother to answer. He cared about Lucas, but, unfortunately, that did not matter much at the moment.

Rodriguez had always worried that this day would come: that he would be tested in his ability to stand by Article One and the other principles of being an Outrigger. At the moment, he was not entirely sure he was making the right choice. However, right before they had left the room, Lucas had reminded him he had to uphold the Code. Rodriguez figured he probably could have lived with his own failure, but he did not want to let the teenager down. This was why he stood erect, staring straight in front of him, not really looking at Lucas and desperately hoping that McKinnon and the rest were on their way; one of them was bound to crack if this kept up and Rodriguez was starting to believe he might be the first to go.

"Who do you work for?" Inouye asked.

"I'm currently unemployed," Rodriguez replied, which was sort of true: being held hostage meant he could not work.

"What is your name?"

"That information is not available," Rodriguez answered, forcing himself not to wince when Carlos twisted Lucas' arm behind his back. The man was dangerously close to dislocating his shoulder again. He heard Lucas yelp in pain and forced himself to ignore it.

"Where are my guests?"

"Apparently they decided to go home early."

Lucas did not bother to try to stop himself from yelling when Guido kicked him in the knee again; for once, he was glad someone was holding him up. He appreciated Rodriguez's answer though. Inouye had insisted on calling the hostages his guests, ever since he had started questioning them. It was something Lucas found amusing. He supposed it was because of the situation. It made him wonder if, one day, Inouye would refer to him and Rodriguez as guests as well.

"You are not cooperating, so perhaps we'll have to go about this another way," Inouye advised.

Lucas swallowed, wondering what the man had in mind, hoping it would not involve reversing their positions; he knew he could not watch Rodriguez getting hit. "One last chance, Mr. X. Who are you?"

"I don't know. I think I have amnesia," Rodriguez replied. Then he froze as Guido pulled out a gun and aimed it right at Lucas.

"Let's try it again," Inouye suggested.

Lucas found himself very close to hyperventilating as he saw the gun. He had already been scared; now he was petrified.

 

"I think we've been spotted, McKinnon," Madison announced over the radio. "We'll cover you from here. When do you land?"

"In about two minutes," McKinnon responded, motioning the rest of the team to move into position; as soon as the helicopter hit the ground, she wanted them ready to move out.

"Good deal. Don't worry about us; we'll take care of our end," Tisdall interjected. "You just get your men back."

 

Rodriguez was profoundly grateful that Inouye did not ask the next question, since he did not want to make the choice. The loud noise from outside the building, followed by gunshots, told him that McKinnon had returned. At least, he hoped it was McKinnon and the rest of the unit. It sounded like she might have some help; there was too much noise for it just be the eight members of Outrigger Blue.

Inouye shouted commands to his guards; Rodriguez assumed he was telling them to check things out. Carlos dropped Lucas and raced out the door with the rest. Rodriguez judged the distance between him and Inouye and considered the fact that Lucas remained between the two of them. When Inouye produced a gun, Rodriguez realized he would have to wait.

Lucas stood up slowly, hanging on to the table that was near him, not wanting to remain on the floor, since he realized this had to be the team's return. As hard as it was to stand, he figured he was better off being upright if possible. However, Lucas was unsure of how he was going to manage if he had to walk. Even using the table for support, he found it hard to put any pressure on his leg. Looking over at Rodriguez, he saw that the other man had grown extremely alert. Glancing at Inouye, he noticed their captor had a gun pointed at him.

 

"On three," McKinnon instructed via her headset, standing before the entrance of the building. "One-two-three!" With the final count, the teams at both entrances kicked the doors in. Tim noticed the extreme differences in style between this entry and the last; they were making no attempt to be covert or quiet. Beyond that, there was not much time for reflection, since gunfire was going off everywhere, in spite of the best efforts of Outrigger White and Gold to provide coverage. Madison had already ordered some of her unit to get on the ground to provide better protection.

Ryan spotted the guard on her end and fired before he had a chance to react. She waited for Dawson to be in position before she opened the first door and found it empty. Across from her, Adamsen and Karneering were following a similar procedure.

Spotting a guard directly behind McKinnon, Tim shot without thinking. Fortunately, it hit the man square in the chest and he fell to the ground. In spite of the situation, Tim was grateful that he was still using the immobilizing option on his weapon. While the Outriggers seemed to have little trouble dealing with the concept of using real ammunition, Tim did not want to be responsible for possibly killing someone. "Nice shot," McKinnon commented, as she checked the room, finding it empty as well. Within seconds, the team was standing before the control room door.

"I've got a lock," Dawson confirmed, quickly checking his computer.

"All right, I want Sunshine, Brook and Columbus up front," McKinnon ordered. "Rest of you back us up; we're going to move quick. Are we ready?"

 

The flurry of noise around them was confusing and it was making Inouye increasingly nervous. "You, get over here!" he directed Lucas.

Lucas glanced at Rodriguez, who gave a slight shake of his head. The last thing Rodriguez wanted was for Inouye to have a hostage in his hands. At least, if they were free, they had a chance to move out of the way. Lucas looked at Inouye again and wondered how the man expected him to walk over to him. After all, he had been the one to order Guido and Carlos to hit him in the knee; besides that, he could not see clearly.

"Move! Now!" Inouye ordered.

Lucas looked at Rodriguez again, unsure of what to do, then he saw Rodriguez point to the floor. Rodriguez was in a position to see the monitors; he could tell that McKinnon had the unit outside the door and knew they did not want to be standing when the door opened.

Lucas wasn't sure what was going on, but he knew what Rodriguez wanted, so he gave a slight nod, watching as Rodriguez used his fingers to count it off. At least, he hoped that all Rodriguez wanted was for him to get on the ground. At the moment, he was not sure he was up to anything else. He had not wanted to worry the other man by mentioning earlier that his head been a little fuzzy since the last round with Inouye, Guido and Carlos.

"Get over here!" Inouye ordered, pointing the gun. Rodriguez reached three about the same time Outrigger Blue did on other side. As he and Lucas dived to the floor, the door crashed open and a shot fired. Lucas hit the ground hard, feeling pain in his bad shoulder and assumed he had dislocated it again.

 

The sound of the gun going off, galvanized the team as it entered the room. McKinnon did not hesitatel; she fired at the man, whose back was to them, not wanting to give him a chance to turn around. She did not bother to check on him, once she realized he was not going to hinder their efforts.

Rodriguez was not paying any attention to the unit or Inouye; he moved toward Lucas with lightning speed, because Lucas had not been on the ground when Inouye fired.

"Einstein!" he yelled, even before he noticed the blood that was flowing from the shoulder wound.

"I guess I should have gone down on two," Lucas told him weakly, becoming aware that the pain in his shoulder was not because it had become dislocated again.

"Einstein!" Rodriguez shouted again, looking around for the doctor. "He's been shot!"

Tim felt the air go out of him as the words sunk in. He was instantly beside Lucas, not sure what to do, but needing to be close. "Oh god," he whispered, freezing as he saw Lucas' face; it was covered in bruises. For a brief moment, Tim thought he was going to be sick.

Karneering knelt beside the teenager. "Okay, Slick, just take it easy," he spoke softly. He did a quick check and realized he could do nothing for the boy here; he forced himself not to concentrate on the bruises, although it was hard.

"We have to get him out of here!" the doctor shouted.

"I've got him," Rodriguez said, as Chandler moved to lift the teenager. Rodriguez figured that, since they had made this far, he was going to get Lucas to the helicopter. "Just give me some cover," he added, picking up the young man. "You had to go and get shot didn't you?" he muttered under his breath. Lucas did not respond since he had passed out almost as soon as Rodriguez had lifted him.

"Columbus and Brook, you guys get them on the helicopter, we'll cover you!" McKinnon shouted.

"Madison! Tisdall! I need cover; we're coming out and I've got causalities."

 

Tim figured he had never run so fast in his life, as they made their way out of the building. There were still shots being fired, both at them and at the other units.

"Hamilton, get in the air and drop the ladder!" McKinnon ordered once she had seen Adamsen and Karneering get Rodriguez and Lucas into the helicopter. Columbus stood outside trying to offer some protection to the rest of the team as they ran up. They had discussed this plan earlier, wanting to get in the air as quickly as possible to avoid being permanently grounded. "Columbus, go first, then Indy; I'll follow, then Irish. Casanova and Sunshine, you give us cover!" McKinnon instructed.

Tim heard McKinnon giving orders to the other units as he started up the ladder: mainly shouting at them to make sure the team had enough protection to get on board. The sound of the gunfire below was kind of frightening. He was glad the helicopter was not that far off the ground, since he didn't have any experience in this activity. Tim ignored the sudden cramp in his leg and kept climbing, knowing he had to get in as quickly as possible. He accepted Adamsen's hand into the helicopter and moved where he could see Lucas, trying to stay out of the way.

 

"Sit down, Ghost!" Karneering yelled at Rodriguez, who was hovering behind him. "I need to look at him and you're not helping!" Karneering tore Lucas's T-shirt, so that he could examine at the wound, trying not to jar the teenager too much, as he realized just how battered and bruised Lucas looked. "Give me some bandages, Columbus." In his anger at what he found, Karneering retreated into the familiar act of taking care of Lucas; it seemed like a better alternative than hitting something, which was what he wanted to do.

"Here," McKinnon said, handing him a medical kit.

"What can I do?" she asked, kneeling next to Lucas. She mentally cursed as she finally had time to register the black eye, the bruised jaw and the signs of at least one nose bleed. Like the doctor, she was barely controlling her anger, submerging it beneath the need to take care of Lucas.

"Put pressure on this," he instructed, after covering the wound with gauze. Moving Lucas carefully, he checked for an exit wound. "We're going to need to pressure back here as well," he continued. "We're lucky, the bullet went through; at least it's not still inside, causing more damage."

"Just tell me what you need," McKinnon told him.

"There's more blood coming out the exit wound, so keep an eye on it. It's normal," Karneering assured her. " Get behind him, let him rest on you; that will keep him elevated enough to help with the bleeding and be a lot better than the position he's in now," he added, after giving it some thought. "Hang in there, Slick," he said softly as Lucas opened his eyes. "I'm going to give you something for the pain," he added, when Lucas moaned.

"That sounds-..good," he whispered, his voice wavering.

"Ghost, come here," McKinnon ordered.

"What?" Rodriguez demanded, his voice harsh because he was scared.

"I need you to sit here and let Slick rest on you: keep pressure on the wound," McKinnon told him, demonstrating what she meant.

Karneering gave her a nod of approval. If Rodriguez was not going to sit down, then he might as well be useful. He waited for Rodriguez to slide into position, Lucas' head and shoulders resting on his lap.

"It's going to be okay, Slick," Rodriguez whispered, doing what McKinnon instructed, grateful to have the chance to do something.

"Tim?" Lucas questioned, looking up at Rodriguez . None of them could tell if he was asking about Tim or if he thought Rodriguez was Tim.

Karneering waved Tim over, figuring that his friend might help keep Lucas calm. "Don't try to talk," Karneering ordered the teenager, noticing that he seemed to struggling to speak. He rummaged around in his bag and produced an ice pack. "If he can talk, the jaw probably isn't broken," he explained, placing the ice pack along Lucas' jaw. "However, this will help some of the swelling. Can one of you hold it?" he requested. McKinnon shifted her position, so she could keep pressure on the gunshot wound and hold the ice pack in place.

"I'm right here," Tim reassured the teenager, trying not to look horrified by all the blood and Lucas' face; he did not want to think about what had caused that. Unfortunately, his mind was already conjuring up possibilities.

"Take it easy," McKinnon ordered softly when Lucas started coughing. She looked over at Karneering, trying to see if he had anything else he wanted her to do.

"Why is Tim bleeding?" Rodriguez asked, taking his attention off of Lucas long enough to really look at the lieutenant.

"He's right," McKinnon said, noticing the dark stain forming on Tim's upper thigh. She added more pressure to the front wound as Lucas moved; she wondered how he found the strength to try and sit up. However, concern for his friend seemed to override everything else.

"Irish! Get him off his feet and get that leg elevated!" Karneering commanded, turning his head from Lucas to look. "Then get his jumpsuit off and cut the jeans; let me know when you're at that point."

"All right," Chandler acknowledged, as he got Hallowell to help him get Tim out of the way. They all knew the wound could not be too serious, otherwise he never would have finished making it up the ladder, they could not just let it bleed. Chandler was glad to have something else to do, since they didn't seem to need him. He mumbled something under his breath. "What?" Hallowell questioned, although he felt fairly certain he had heard Chandler let loose with a string of swear words, not that he blamed Chandler; he had a few running through his mind at the moment.

"Nothing," Chandler told him. Chandler could not believe Lucas' face; it made him wish they had come back sooner. However, he realized that being more vocal would only serve to upset Tim even more, so he was trying to restrain himself and act professionally.

 

"Ice, we're clear," Ryan announced, as Dawson pulled up the ladder.

"Let's go, Hamilton," McKinnon ordered into her headset, not moving her attention from keeping pressure on Lucas's shoulder.

"Can I help?" Ryan asked, stopping as she took a good look at Lucas' face. Like the rest of the crew, her concentration had been on getting Lucas and Rodriguez out of the building. Now, she had time to take stock. His face was swollen and Ryan knew that it had to hurt. "Oh god," she mumbled, trying not to imagine what had happened. Ryan looked at Rodriguez and saw the anger in his eyes. She had a feeling that whomever was responsible was lucky Rodriguez had not had a chance to fight back.

"No. See if Chandler needs any help with Indy," Karneering instructed.

"What happened?" Ryan quizzed Chandler, who was working on Tim and muttering to himself. She glanced at him in surprise; she did not realize Chandler knew that many curses and she knew it was not Tim's wound that had the man so upset.

"I had a leg cramp on the ladder, but apparently it wasn't a cramp," Tim remarked with more calm than he felt.

"I'd have to agree with you on that," she remarked, sitting down next to his head, so she could talk to him. "You need help?" she questioned Chandler.

"No. Columbus is helping me," Chandler assured her.

"Will you settle down," Ryan ordered Tim several minutes later; he was trying to keep an eye on Lucas from his position, even though it was impossible. "You've got to let Irish take care of you and Einstein, Ice and Ghost take care of Slick."

"They hurt him," Tim said softly. "More than just shooting him."

"I know," Ryan told him.

"I'd like to return the favor," Hallowell remarked angrily. "Sorry, I know all the reason's it's not right-"

"Don't apologize; I'd like to help," Chandler informed him. "Okay, Einstein," Chandler called. It had taken a bit of work, but they had Tim's jumpsuit off and Chandler had cut the pant leg enough to see the wound, which was right above his knee. Hallowell had gathered an equipment bag to prop up his leg, since they didn't have anything else to use.

 

"Just keep the pressure on," Karneering instructed McKinnon and Rodriguez. "I'll be right back."

"I think I'll let Sullivan notify your captain," McKinnon remarked to Lucas, not knowing what else to say. She didn't want to sit there and not talk to him. Besides, she wanted to take her mind off of the anger that was building inside of her. "I don't think he's going to be real understanding when he finds out I let both of you get shot."

Lucas did not offer any response; even with her rudimentary knowledge, McKinnon could tell Lucas was not focusing too well on his surroundings. "I surely don't want to face that doctor of yours either," she commented. "Casanova, get me a blanket," she instructed, noticing that Lucas had started shivering.

"You still with us, Slick?" Rodriguez questioned softly, gently brushing the hair off of his face.

"What happened?" Lucas asked, finding it difficult to remember. "It's cold," he mumbled, as McKinnon took the blanket from Dawson and covered the teenager. "Where's Tim?"

"He's over with Irish," McKinnon told him, unable to tell if he remembered Tim was injured. If Lucas did not remember, she did not want to agitate him by reminding him.

 

Tim wished he could see what was going on; unfortunately, Ryan would not let him sit up. He looked up at Karneering. "So, will I live?" he inquired.

"It looks that way," Karneering assured him. "It's just a graze: got you in the right place to produce a lot of blood, but no major damage. Bleeding has almost stopped," he added. "Irish, keep pressure on it until the bleeding stops completely, then bandage it."

Chandler nodded his understanding. "Not a problem," he confirmed.

"How's Lucas?" Tim questioned.

"I don't know yet; there's the wound from being shot and he's in shock," Karneering replied. Karneering had not had much time to examine more than the gunshot; currently, it was the most pressing problem. Once they got the bleeding stopped, he would worry about everything else.

"But he's all right?" Tim persisted.

"We'll know more when we get him to the hospital," Karneering told him. "I wish I could tell you more, but I don't know much yet. I'm going to back to Slick now," the doctor added; he looked at Ryan and motioned her to follow him.

"What is it?" Ryan questioned.

"Get Madison and Tisdall; tell them I'm going to need their medical personnel when we land," he instructed.

"Okay."

Karneering returned to McKinnon and Rodriguez . "I need to know where else he's hurt," Karneering told Rodriguez. He did not have time to ease into the subject gradually, so he got straight to the point. They were getting the bleeding under control; it was time to make sure there were no other major injuries.

"His knee," Rodriguez answered. "They kicked him in the right knee several times. They dislocated his shoulder once, but it's the one that got shot. They probably cracked some ribs, but maybe not. They were professionals; for the most part they did just enough to make it hurt without doing major damage. They just did the knee because Inouye was enraged," he sighed. "He got slapped in the face several times," he added tiredly, even though he knew they could see that already.

"Did he lose consciousness?" Karneering questioned, forcing himself to remain professional.

"At least twice," Rodriguez responded, trying to remember for certain. "Once when they dislocated his shoulder and then after I put it in place. He was asleep a lot of the time, when they left us alone."

"What about you?" Karneering asked. "Are you hurt?"

"No, Einstein, they didn't touch me."

"It'll be okay," McKinnon whispered, dropping a reassuring hand on his shoulder, as she realized what had happened.

"How are you doing?" Karneering inquired, turning his attention to Lucas, checking the bandage and not liking the fact he was still bleeding.

"I've had better days," Lucas responded; his voice cracked as he spoke, telling the doctor more than his actual comment.

"I know. I know," Karneering spoke softly. "I want to look at your leg. Ghost tells me that it's injured."

"He already tried to look at it," Lucas responded, a comment that made little sense to Karneering and McKinnon.

"Back there," Rodriguez explained quietly. "When they first injured it, but I didn't get much of a look. He wouldn't let me."

"He was shivering," McKinnon added, nodding at the blanket, which Karneering now moved. "Hamilton says our ETA is twenty minutes," she informed him.

"Good. I asked Ryan to notify Madison and Tisdall that I'll need their medical people when we land." McKinnon nodded.

"Is there going to be a scene at the hospital?" she questioned. "It's okay," she spoke softly to Lucas, who whimpered as soon as Karneering started touching his leg.

"Hand me the scissors; I'm going to have to cut these to get a better look," Karneering instructed her, pointing down at Lucas jeans. "Not if they stay out of my way and let me do my job," he said, answering her question. "Thanks," he added, as she passed him the scissors.

Karneering tried to be gentle, but there was not much he could do to avoid causing Lucas discomfort. In spite of the pain medication the doctor had given him, Lucas still felt it when Karneering lifted his leg. Unable to stop his reaction, he yelled and passed out again.

"It's okay!" Karneering called out to the now silent helicopter. All eyes were focused on Lucas, except for Tim's and that was only because Chandler had a restraining arm on his shoulder. "He just passed out again," which Karneering realized was not the most comforting thing he could have said, but he couldn't take it back either. "They did a number on his knee," he remarked, once he had the jeans cut enough to see it. It was very swollen and bruised.

"No kidding," McKinnon agreed. "You want to try to immobilize it?" she questioned. McKinnon was having trouble staying calm about all of this, but her training had kicked in, allowing her to keep going without letting the emotion come to the surface.

"Yes," he replied. "It's the best thing we can do for it at the moment. Irish?"

"Yes?" Chandler responded.

"You have Indy's leg bandaged?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm going to need your help over here. I need to immobilize his leg."

"Be right there," Chandler answered. "Just stay with him," he instructed Ryan.

 

"You better call the base and make sure they have an ambulance and transport waiting for us when we land," Karneering reminded McKinnon.

"They should as standard policy, especially with the quarantine possibility. But I'll double check."

 

"What's going on?" Tim asked Ryan anxiously.

"I don't know," Ryan replied. "I'm not a doctor or a medic."

"I just-"

"I know, Indy," she said softly. "We're all worried."

"How's Ghost?"

"He's anxious about Slick," Ryan commented. "They're keeping him busy though."

"It's not his fault."

Ryan nodded her head. They all knew it was nobody's fault, but Ryan was willing to bet everyone person on the helicopter felt guilty.

"It's not yours either," she pointed out.

"And it's not yours," Adamsen said quietly, joining Tim and Ryan. "You did what you had to do."

"It certainly doesn't feel like it right now," Ryan admitted, glancing over at Lucas.

"He's just a kid," Tim remarked. "How could someone do that to a kid?" he asked angrily. "How could someone do that to anyone?" he added, realizing that he would not feel any better about it if it was Rodriguez who had gotten beaten up.

"I don't know," Adamsen told him. "Someone people don't care, Indy. They don't live by what we consider normal standards."

 

"You guys almost finished?" McKinnon questioned Karneering and Chandler. Even unconscious, Lucas had moaned several times throughout the process.

"Yes. We've got it," Karneering replied. "How's his shoulder?"

"I think the bleeding is slowing down."

"That's something," Karneering said.

"Commander?" Hamilton's voice came over the headset.

"Yes?" McKinnon acknowledged.

"We're preparing to land," he announced.

"Thank you." McKinnon felt a sense of relief that they were almost on the ground. She looked around the helicopter. "We're getting ready to land, so make sure you're secure," she called out, noticing that most of the crew had gotten rid of their headsets.

"Einstein, they will have an ambulance waiting for us and the blood, as you requested," she added, after listening to her radio for a few more minutes.

"Good. I want to get Indy and the rest of the crew out first. We need to be careful when we move Slick and it will be easier if we have room to work," Karneering instructed. "I'll have to start the IV before we move him."

"You're the boss," she pointed out. McKinnon turned to Rodriguez. "How are you doing?" she asked softly.

Rodriguez looked at her and then down at Lucas. "How do you think I'm doing?" he responded, his voice edged with anger.

"It's going to be fine," McKinnon assured him, knowing this was not the time to discuss details.

"When?"

 

"We're going to go move slowly here," Karneering instructed McKinnon, Chandler and Dawson, who had been drafted to assist in transferring Lucas to the stretcher. Personally, Karneering was grateful the teenager was unconscious again; he thought it would be less painful all around. Lucas had come to briefly during the landing and when Karneering had started the blood transfusion. "Ready?" He waited for them to nod. "On three." As with everything else, the four acted like a team instinctively. Working together came naturally to the Outriggers. "I'll go in the ambulance with him and Irish can accompany us. I have a feeling we're going to need your skills on the outside," Karneering told McKinnon, once they had Lucas on the stretcher.

"Unfortunately, you're probably right," McKinnon agreed. She knew there was going to be problems at the hospital, since it was quite obvious that Karneering had no intention of relinquishing Lucas to anyone else's care. Past experience had taught her that the doctors at the hospital would not give up treatment rights very easily.

 

Karneering did not bother to try and stop Rodriguez from riding in the ambulance. He had expected the man to insist on it. The doctor figured there was going to be enough trouble at the hospital when he insisted Rodriguez undergo the required physical. Despite his insistence of no injuries, Karneering was not willing to just take Rodriguez's word.

"Is he okay?" Tim asked, his voice unsteady. Karneering knew it had more to do with his concern than the pain medication he had given him.

"The bleeding has slowed; we've already got the blood transfusion going," Karneering replied. "We'll know more when we get him to the hospital." Karneering was hoping for the best; there were no obvious signs of internal bleeding, but the doctor could not tell until he ran some tests.

 

Ten minutes later, Lucas lay on an exam table, unaware of the drama unfolding around him. "Doctor Karneering! I must insist that you leave!" Dr. Henry Clark insisted.

"He's my patient. I'm not leaving!" Karneering responded, his attention focused more on Lucas than the other doctor.

"You are not authorized to treat him here!" Clark persisted, turning angrily as the door opened to admit five people. "Who are you? You're not authorized to be back here!" he shouted.

The woman at the front of the group did not spare any glances for Clark; instead, she focused on Karneering.

"Dr. Karneering?" she inquired, earning a quick nod. "Dr. Claire Foster, Outrigger Gold. I was told you might need some assistance. I've also brought the unit nurse, Lieutenant Sebastian Granger."

"Dr. Ivan Creswell, Outrigger White. I have Lieutenants Brittany Engleman and Nigel Devins; they're nurses. Where do you need us?"

"Creswell, I need you to look at O'Neil's leg. He just got a graze and should be fine. You may need to give him more meds just to keep him off his feet; this is his friend I'm working on here," Karneering replied. "Also, Rodriguez is in need of a physical. You'll probably have to get McKinnon to give you a hand with getting him to agree. He hates doctors and he's worried about Wolenczak," he continued, with a nod towards to the body on the table. "Who among you is surgical trained, besides Foster?" he questioned.

"I am, Sir," Granger responded quickly.

"So am I," Engleman interjected.

"All right then, Devins, you can accompany Creswell; the rest of you I'll take here. Foster, I do hope you've kept up on your orthopedic surgical techniques," Karneering added, remembering hearing about her skills in that area.

"Just went to a conference six months ago."

"Do you need me to stay?" Chandler asked Karneering. He had come in to assist, but he knew that it was unlikely the doctor would need him.

"No. Go join the team. McKinnon's going to have her hands full," Karneering told him. "Rodriguez is probably going to go ballistic pretty quickly."

"Now wait just one minute!" Clark exploded. "You cannot just take over! I am the doctor in charge!"

"Dr. Clark, I really don't have time for this," Karneering said in a quiet voice, which Chandler recognized as a bad sign for Clark. "Section seventeen, paragraph three, subsection B of the Outrigger Code states that no member of an Outrigger unit will be treated by personnel outside the organization unless no other medical help is available. I have two doctors and three nurses, besides myself, not to mention several medics that I can call upon. I'd say we have the situation under control! Now, are you going to leave or do I need to have Chandler notify my commander that you are not cooperating with our efforts and see what she has to say about?!" he shouted. By now, Foster, Granger and Engleman had joined him around Lucas and were working, even as the Karneering responded to Clark.

"I will be back! I assure you, Doctor!" Clark yelled, as he stormed out of the room.

"McKinnon's going to love you," Chandler remarked. "I'd better go warn her."

"Good. Let's get to work."

"What happened?" McKinnon asked, as soon as Chandler appeared. "I heard Karneering yelling," she added, reverting back to using last names now they had were out of the field and around other people.

"He quoted the regs and told the doctor to leave," Chandler answered. He looked at McKinnon and wondered how she had managed to clean up so quickly. She had gotten rid of her jumpsuit and it looked like she had on a clean T-shirt.

"Good. Let Sullivan handle it," McKinnon said. "Dawson found a room for us to clean up a bit; you had better go wash up," she ordered. "I think Hallowell has your stuff. Uh oh," she murmured, watching as Creswell spoke to Ryan, who pointed at Rodriguez. "Better go put an end to that fire."

"Good luck," Chandler said, as Rodriguez started arguing and he went to find Hallowell and Dawson; he definitely wanted to clean up some.

 

"I'm fine!" Rodriguez insisted. "Take care of O'Neil!"

"Mr. O'Neil is being taken care of," Creswell informed him. "I have to give you an exam. Karneering ordered me to do so; as your unit physician I'm bound to obey him."

"I don't need a physical!"

"Just do it," Ryan encouraged softly. "They have to make sure you weren't hurt."

"I'm fine!"

"Commander Rodriguez, you will go with the doctor and permit him to perform his examination," McKinnon ordered, as she walked up. When Rodriguez got in this mood, she knew he would only respond to direct commands. "That is an order, Commander!" she barked, when he made to protest.

"But-" he sputtered angrily.

"Do I need to have Commander Ryan and Lieutenant Dawson escort you? We will let you know if we get any news. But you are going to have that physical. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Commander," Rodriguez spat out, still rather upset.

"Very good. I'll have Dawson get you some clothes," McKinnon added. The last thing Rodriguez needed was to stay in the clothes he had on.

"I think I can find him a shower," Creswell told her.

"Good idea," McKinnon agreed.

 

McKinnon waited for him to follow the doctor. "That went well," she remarked to Ryan. "Okay, you're in charge, Ryan. I have to get in touch with Sullivan. Karneering's already angered the natives."

"And this surprises you?" Ryan queried. "You know how he gets," she reminded McKinnon.

"No, I expected it. But I better call before someone else does."

"Good luck."

"You're going to need it too," McKinnon advised. "You know that Rodriguez is not going to tolerate that exam for very long."

"Great. I'll try to find out about the quarantine while I'm at it," Ryan told her. For the moment, Outrigger Blue was isolated, but no one had mentioned quarantine.

"Good idea. I'll be back when I'm done."

 

Once she had found a place to conduct her call, McKinnon awaited anxiously for Sullivan to appear on screen.

"Captain Sullivan," she greeted him.

"Commander McKinnon," he acknowledged. "I trust your mission was a success."

"We have the team back, yes, Sir."

"What is it?" he asked, his voice tinged with resignation, as he realized he probably did not want to hear what she had to say.

"I'm afraid that two of the team were injured during the mission," McKinnon reported.

"Who?"

"O'Neil was grazed by a bullet while climbing up the ladder, Sir. He is being treated and Dr. Karneering indicates that the injury was only a flesh wound."

"And the other one?" Sullivan had worked with McKinnon long enough to recognize when she was leading up to something he was not going to like.

"Wolenczak was one of the ones we had to leave behind initially, Sir. He was shot before right before we were able to rescue him."

"How serious?"

"Dr. Karneering is treating him now, but it was a more serious wound than the one received by O'Neil."

"Is that all?"

"No, Sir. The Tarsinians apparently had no scruples about using physical means of interrogation."

"Was Article One compromised?"

"I have not had a chance to fully discuss that with Rodriguez, but I do not believe that it was. It would appear that the Tarsinians are advocates of the weakest link theory," McKinnon added.

"So, not only did you manage to get your temporaries shot, but one of them was tortured?" Sullivan summed up.

"Yes, Sir."

"I should make you call seaQuest, Commander."

"I am sorry, Sir."

"I know you are, Commander." Sullivan softened his tone. Everyone knew that McKinnon took these things personally.

"I do have one question, Captain," McKinnon interjected.

"Go ahead," he encouraged.

"I would really like to know why Admiral Ramsey sent my tactical plan outside the organization without taking any kind of security precautions," she stated, keeping her tone even: a sure sign that her temper was barely in check.

"Do you have proof?"

"Yes, Sir."

"How?"

"A program that Wolenczak was running prior to departure."

"Are you saying that Ramsey-"

"I'm not saying anything, Sir. I'm just gathering information, but I intend to find out exactly who he contacted and why. If I find out he had anything to do with what happened to Rodriguez and Wolenczak-."

"I'll look into it, Commander," Sullivan interrupted. Sullivan understood her anger, but he wanted to prevent her from making a threat against an admiral out loud.

"With all due respect, Captain, this is my team-"

"You have not been debriefed from this mission as of yet, Commander. How you choose to spend your time preparing your final reports is entirely at your discretion."

"Yes, Sir. One more thing: the quarantine?"

"Has been taken care of. Turns out that the disease is some derivative of chicken pox. Dr. Westphalen of the seaQuest made the discovery. As long as your team has had the disease or been immunized, you're fine. In any case, there is no need for a quarantine."

McKinnon blanched at the name of Dr. Westphalen, thinking of the fact that seaQuest still had to be told.

"I will take care of notifying the seaQuest," Sullivan assured her. "You will need to give me a few more details about Wolenczak's injuries. I'm sure they will want them. However, until a further investigation is conducted, the details regarding the nature of your mission, its location and the capture of your crew, are to remain classified and not to be discussed outside the unit."

"Yes, Sir," McKinnon answered, already thinking of way to get around that directive. There was no way she was going to let Lucas go back to seaQuest with only Tim knowing the truth. It was not fair to the two of them and it was not fair to the seaQuest crew. McKinnon knew that this was not something Lucas was going to walk away from and not think about again. Whether he dealt with it right away or pushed it aside, at some point he would have to face it. McKinnon was not sending either one back without knowing that they would have some kind of support network. McKinnon suspected that Bridger would figure out part of it. The fact that they were in Hawaii, not that far from Tarsinia, indicated where they had been assigned. From what she had heard, Bridger would make the connection to that point.

"And, Commander?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"Do you know a Dr. Clark?"

"Not personally, but I believe he's spoken with my team physician."

"Tell your doctor to play nice. I have, however, informed Dr. Clark and the hospital administration that whatever you need, they are to provide."

"Thank you, Captain."

"Very well. I will notify you after I have spoken with Captain Bridger. I am sure you will be seeing them in the immediate future. I imagine HQ will have to send someone else to pick up the stranded science team on the Philippines."

"Yes, Sir."

McKinnon and Sullivan talked for several more minutes, as McKinnon relayed what information she could about Lucas' condition and a little more about Tim.

 

"You're still alive," Ryan greeted her, when McKinnon returned.

"So are you. You learn anything about the quarantine?" McKinnon inquired, even though she knew the answer.

"No. You?" Ryan questioned, knowing her commander well enough to suspect that she already had the answer.

"Well, as long as everyone's had chicken pox, we're clear."

"I'll have Chandler check the records."

 

Bridger felt anxious as he waited for Captain Sullivan to appear on the vid-screen. He was hoping the man had good news about the return of Lucas and Tim.

"Captain Sullivan," he said politely. He studied Sullivan for any signs that might tell him what the other man had to say.

"Captain Bridger," Sullivan greeted him. As he looked at the other man, Sullivan wished he had let McKinnon make the call. However, he thought she had enough on her plate.

"Will you be returning my crew soon?" Bridger inquired, when the silence grew.

"Outrigger Blue has almost completed its mission; they are only awaiting debriefing," Sullivan started. Like most people in command, this was the part of the job he hated. "However, I am afraid that during the course of the assignment, both Lieutenant O'Neil and Mr. Wolenczak were injured."

"Injured?! What kind of injuries?" Bridger demanded, already rising out of his chair.

"They were shot," Sullivan admitted reluctantly.

"They were shot!" Bridger repeated, feeling like he was in a very bad dream. "How seriously hurt were they?"

"Lieutenant O'Neil's wound was just a graze. He got hit in the thigh," Sullivan replied, deciding to omit the fact that Tim had been climbing up a ladder to board a helicopter when it had happened. He thought it might be a bit much for Bridger to handle. He would let McKinnon tackle that part.

"Lucas?" Bridger prompted.

"I'm afraid I can't say. He was shot in the shoulder. The last information Commander McKinnon had was that Dr. Karneering did not believe it had hit any major organs, but he was in surgery at that time. He also has some kind of knee injury," Sullivan added. McKinnon had told him there was going to be no way getting around the other injuries, especially not the knee.

"I thought my people were supposed to be safe! And now you tell me both of them were shot!" Bridger yelled.

"I assure you that Commander McKinnon did everything in her power-"

"You let a sixteen-year-old boy get shot!" Bridger was not allowing himself time to really let the information sink in; he was angry and worried and wanted to vent. "What were they doing that put them in a position to get injured?"

"I'm afraid that, until debriefing takes place, the mission remains classified."

"You get two of my people shot and you say it's classified?!"

"Yes, sir. I can tell you that they were flown to Hawaii for treatment."

"And that's all you'll tell me?" Bridger questioned. "I find that unacceptable, Captain!"

"Captain?" Ford's voice interrupted Bridger before he could say anything further. "Admiral Noyce would like to speak with you."

"Thank you, Commander. I'll be with him momentarily."

Sullivan felt a sense of relief come over him; at least it would take Bridger's attention off of him. "I'll be in touch, Captain."

"Yes, you will. I'm not done yet," Bridger promised, ending the link and waiting for Noyce to appear on screen, once he had instructed Ford to put the call through. "I assume you've heard that they managed to get both of them shot!" he shouted at the screen.

Noyce nodded and wisely did not tell the captain to calm down. "Yes, I did."

"They were supposed to be safe. I want to know how this happened!"

"I don't have any details; the Outriggers are saying the mission is classified."

"That's ridiculous! They're part of my crew!"

"Well, for now, it's sealed up pretty tight."

"At least we're not too far away. You'll have to find someone else to rescue your science team."

"Of course." Noyce knew that, even if he gave Bridger a direct order to proceed to the Philippines, he would disobey it: not that he would blame him.

"When I'm sure both of them are all right, we are going to have a long talk about how this happened. Right now, I have to try to explain this to my crew. They are not trained for those situations and neither one should have been there!"

Noyce let Bridger rant for a few more minutes, understanding that, in moments, he would have to let the seaQuest crew know and that, as captain, Bridger would have to be calm.

 

"You really should stay here," Devins told Tim, who wanted to join the rest of the unit in the waiting room.

"I can stay off my feet out there just as much as I can in here," Tim argued. He was tired of waiting alone; he wanted to be with the rest of the team. He also wanted a chance to talk to Rodriguez. Although he had no details, Tim knew that Rodriguez had done the best he could to protect Lucas; he also figured Rodriguez needed to hear it from him. "You can help me or I can do it myself," he threatened. "But I want to be with the rest!"

"Oh great. You've picked up all the good qualities of the team," Hallowell said, entering the room with Chandler. "We'll park him in a chair, keep the leg elevated and make sure he behaves," he assured Devins.

"McKinnon figured you were getting tired of being in here, so she sent us in. Creswell approved."

"Next time, just keep his clothes," Chandler recommended. "Karneering says it's very effective in keeping patients down," he added, noting that Tim now wore an Outrigger T-shirt and the bottoms of a scrub set that had been made into cut-offs to accommodate his leg.

"I'll have to keep it in mind; some of my crew is just as bad. You can take him, but he is not to walk on the leg," Devins reminded them. Devins understood how he felt. He knew that the both Outrigger White and Gold, while not at the hospital, were anxiously waiting for news about Lucas.

"Don't worry; he won't go anywhere," Dawson promised. "McKinnon's already threatened to tie Rodriguez down. And she won't have any trouble doing the same with O'Neil."

"I bet that went over well," Tim remarked. "I still don't see why I can't walk," he complained, as Devins produced a wheelchair. Actually, Tim was glad to see Hallowell and Dawson and the wheelchair. He was feeling out of it from the pain medication; he just did not want to admit it.

"Humor me; Creswell will nail me if I let you walk two feet," Devins ordered, knowing there was no way Tim was up to walking, even if they did let him. "And I do not want to see what Karneering would do."

 

Bridger headed for medbay, after informing Ford that they were changing course again. He had thought about telling the doctor with everyone else. However, this time, he figured it was better to notify her in private. If people thought he felt paternal towards Lucas, Kristin definitely felt maternal towards him. He sighed as he contemplated her reaction. He wondered, briefly, if it was too late to change his mind. Bridger wished he could have let Captain Sullivan tell the doctor; it would serve the man right to have to face her wrath. Unfortunately, Kristin spotted him as soon as he entered.

"What is it?" Kristin asked, immediately sensing something was wrong. "Has something happened? Have you heard about Lucas and Tim?"

"Let's go somewhere more private," he suggested, not wanting everyone in medbay to hear their conversation.

"What is wrong?" Kristin demanded, once they had entered her office.

"I just had a call from Captain Sullivan," Bridger spoke slowly, trying to find the right words: wondering if there were any.

"And?" she prompted.

"In the course of their assignment with the Outriggers, both Lucas and Tim were shot."

"Shot?!" Kristin repeated. "How did they get shot?" she demanded.

"I don't know. That information is classified," Bridger admitted.

"Only the military would classify the shooting of a sixteen-year-old!" she shouted. "How serious?" she asked, letting her professional training take over.

"Tim's wound was just a graze," Bridger replied, opting for the easy one first.

Kristin looked at him. "And Lucas?"

"His was more serious. He was shot in the shoulder; he was still in surgery when Sullivan called. All Sullivan knew was that the doctor believed no major organs were damaged. He also has some kind of knee injury," Bridger paused, realizing that he had not gotten an explanation for that one.

"Who is his doctor?" Kristin demanded. "I want to talk to him!"

Bridger felt a moment of sympathy for whoever was treating both Lucas and Tim; Kristin would not give the man a moment's peace until they arrived. "I'll get his name for you," he promised.

"And just where are they?"

"They were flown to Hawaii; we've already changed course. Sullivan won't tell me where they were and Noyce can't find out."

"The man is an admiral! He should be able to use his rank for something besides letting untrained young men get themselves shot!"

Bridger had a feeling that Noyce was about to get another call from the doctor; he certainly hoped so. "I have to go tell the others," he finally sighed.

Kristin looked at him with sympathy. "I'm sorry," she said softly. She knew the captain cared about all of his crew, but there were those that meant a little more to him. Both Lucas and Tim fell into that latter category; especially Lucas. "They will be fine," she added, wishing she could offer more.

 

"What's going on?" Ben asked the group, as he entered. He was the last to arrive, except for Bridger.

"We don't know," Katie replied. "All we know is that we have changed course; we're headed to Hawaii now."

"Maybe there's been news," Miguel offered hopefully. "Maybe Tim and Lucas are coming back."

"I hope so," Ben remarked, taking a seat.

 

McKinnon tapped Rodriguez on the shoulder. "Let's take a walk," she suggested, indicating that she wanted to talk to him.

Rodriguez nodded slowly; he knew what she had in mind, but he was not sure he was ready to have this discussion. However, he stood and followed her away from the rest of the group.

"Did Sullivan go ahead and sanction the mission? Or did he authorize the rescue attempt?" he questioned, stepping inside the first empty room they found. He knew he was only delaying the inevitable, but he needed more time. Rodriguez was trying to gather his thoughts, trying to figure out how to tell McKinnon what had happened.

"Ramsey ordered him to issue a sanction," McKinnon began, deciding not to reveal the information about Ramsey just yet. "Fortunately, we lost our connection before he could."

"And Outrigger White and Gold?"

"Were in town for their annual refresher training."

"McKinnon-"

"I called in some favors before we left. If nothing had happened, they would have gone through the course."

"Ramsey's going to have a fit."

"Most likely," McKinnon agreed, although she was not real concerned about Ramsey at the moment. "You know that I have to ask you this-.."

"No! We didn't break Article One!" Rodriguez yelled, feeling all the emotion that had been building inside of him come spilling out. "I stood there and watched them dislocate his shoulder and kick him and hit him and I stood loyal to the Code!" he shouted, pacing angrily up and down the room. "And when they were done, all I could do was carry him, so they wouldn't touch him any more!"

McKinnon did not speak; she knew this was something Rodriguez needed to get out. It was the reason she had brought him down here; he would not let go, not in front of the team, and especially not in front of O'Neil.

"Then-then-" Rodriguez heard his voice break a little, "then I held him when he woke up from his nightmare. He was afraid they would reverse our positions! He was afraid that he wouldn't have the strength to keep quiet if they started beating on me!"

McKinnon reached out to touch his shoulder, but he moved away. "He's just a kid! But he insisted that I couldn't act any different because it was him! I couldn't do anything to stop them! Right before you came in, Inouye pulled a gun; I don't know what I was going to do," Rodriguez gasped out, finally sinking into a chair, burying his head in his hands.

McKinnon sat down next to him and put her arms around him, forgetting about everything but the fact that one of her team, one of her friends, was in pain. It had hurt just hear to him talk about it; McKinnon could not begin to imagine having been a witness to it. McKinnon also recognized this was not the time to tell Rodriguez about Ramsey.

"It's the first time I've ever seriously considered breaking Article One," Rodriguez told her quietly.

"I'm sorry," McKinnon said, knowing it was not enough, but it was all she could say. They were all upset about what had happened to Lucas, but she knew their anger did not compare to Rodriguez's. Past experience had taught her that nothing felt worse than being powerless to stop someone from hurting someone you cared about.

 

Bridger studied the group seated around the table. He had just finished telling them about Lucas and Tim getting shot. As expected, they had not taken the news well. Ford's face was impassive, as usual, although there was a flicker of anger in his eyes as he thought about the two being harmed. Katie had gone pale, one hand covering her mouth as she tried not to imagine the worst. Ben looked like someone had kicked him in the stomach. Crocker felt his own anger rising: neither one should have been hurt. Miguel stared in disbelief. In his opinion, Lucas and Tim were two of the gentlest people he had ever met; getting shot was not something that happened to people like them.

"How serious?" Ford finally asked, while everyone stared at Bridger anxiously.

"Tim was wounded in the leg; Sullivan says it was just a graze."

"What about Lucas?" Katie prompted, softly.

"His injuries were more serious. He was shot in the shoulder; he was in surgery when Sullivan called," Bridger replied, realizing, for the first time, that it meant that, whatever the Outriggers had been engaged in, had only recently ended. "However, the doctor treating him did not think there was any internal damage. He also sustained an injury to his knee."

There was silence in the room as everyone let the information sink in. "How did it happen?" Katie finally questioned. "What were they doing?"

"At this time, the Outriggers are not saying. Sullivan said the information is classified."

"Why?" Miguel inquired angrily.

"We should be able to know what happened," Ben added.

"Sullivan wouldn't give me any information as to what they were doing when it happened."

"Where are they? Can we see them?" Katie interjected.

"They were transported to Hawaii," Bridger explained.

"What about the science team on the Philippines?" Ford queried, more out of training than genuine interest.

"The UEO will send someone else to retrieve them."

"When will they let us know about Lucas?" Miguel asked.

"Sullivan promised someone would contact us when they finished surgery."

 

Karneering left Lucas, after almost three hours of surgery, feeling a sense of relief. They had been lucky; there had been no internal injuries. The surgery had gone well; all they could do now was wait for his body to do the rest. However, he felt he could make a fairly positive report. He was not surprised to find the rest of the team still in the waiting room, even though all were exhausted by now. Karneering suspected that, if Dr. Clark had thought he had a battle over the treatment of Lucas, the doctor was in for a big surprise now. Karneering knew the way the unit reacted to these situations; he had learned quickly that no one left until everyone was healthy.

Rodriguez stood up as soon as he walked over to them; Karneering could tell from the restraining hand Ryan had on Tim's shoulder that he would have done the same if they had allowed it.

"How is he?" Tim asked, his voice cracking slightly.

"He was pretty lucky," Karneering announced. "The bullet went through clean; there were no internal injuries. It'll take some time for everything to heal, but there shouldn't be any permanent damage. He had three broken ribs, but again, there were no complications. The ligaments and cartilage in his knee were torn. Fortunately, Dr. Foster of Outrigger Gold did a second specialization in orthopedics; there should be no permanent damage to his knee. He will require some therapy when he's up and about. There were no other broken bones or major injuries."

"So, he'll be all right?" Rodriguez questioned, wanting to make sure he understood.

"He's going to be fine. His body is exhausted, so I wouldn't expect him to be awake a lot over the next day or two, but I don't anticipate any complications." There was a general sigh of relief at the news.

"When can we see him?" Ryan asked. She had her own guilt to assuage and she wasn't going to do it until she saw Lucas.

"We're trying to find a room to put him in," Karneering answered. "Some of you might want to go get some sleep," he recommended.

"Are you going to follow your own advice?" Chandler retorted. When Karneering wisely opted not to answer, Chandler nodded his head. "You know the drill," he added.

"Fine, but you," he gave a nod to McKinnon, "get to tell Clark."

"I have no problem with that," she said.

Karneering stifled a weary smile; he hoped he got a chance to see that confrontation. McKinnon got very fierce when it came to the team. Dr. Clark was in for a fight if he protested too much. "Make sure they put a bed in it for O'Neil," he instructed.

"Why?" Tim demanded. "I'm fine."

"You were shot," Karneering corrected. "It may have been a graze, but you are going to stay off of it until I say otherwise. And you will get plenty of rest."

"Don't argue; you won't win," Adamsen advised. "He'll slip sedatives in your food."

"I have never slipped any of you any drugs without your knowledge," Karneering protested.

"Excuse me?" Rodriguez interrupted.

"With the exception of the commander," Karneering amended. "Oh, here comes Dr. Clark now."

"This should be interesting," Dawson murmured.

"Dr. Karneering, I do not understand why Dr. Foster insists the room prepared for your patient is unacceptable," Dr. Clark informed him, still bristling from the earlier encounter.

"You would need to take that up with Commander McKinnon," Karneering told him.

"Commander, I really must insist that your crew leave the waiting area; you can visit your injured man during visiting hours," Clark started.

"That was a real bad move on his part," Hallowell mumbled, getting nods from Adamsen and Chandler, who sat on either side of him.

"We will visit him as soon as he gets settled in a room," McKinnon advised.

"Hospital policy states that-"

"Dr. Clark, I'm not really interested in hospital policy. I am concerned about the best interests of my team. Right now, they are understandably preoccupied about Wolenczak's condition."

"This is a hospital. We do have rules to follow." "I'm an Outrigger, Doctor; I also have rules to follow."

"Here we go," Ryan muttered under her breath.

"Section forty-three, paragraph one, subsection B of the Outrigger Code of Conduct establishes that, during the course of the mission, the team is not to separated until completion of the assignment, unless the separation is deemed necessary for the integrity of the mission. Right now, my team is currently still considered an activated unit, as debriefing has not taken place. Debriefing cannot take place while I have members of the crew in the hospital. So I suggest you worry about finding a room big enough to hold the ten of us and less about your hospital regulations, because we are not leaving. Feel free to contact Captain Sullivan if you have a problem with any of this," McKinnon spoke in very clipped tones, which told those who knew her well enough that Clark was in for trouble if he persisted.

"That is outrageous!" he told her.

"Uh oh," Chandler sighed.

"Doctor, I have had a very trying day; you do not want to tick me off!" McKinnon yelled, getting right in his face. "Now, you can either assign us an appropriate room or I can have my team find one!"

Ryan moved closer to McKinnon, hoping Clark decided to cooperate before he really irritated McKinnon. However, she also wanted to be in position in case McKinnon got any angrier.

"I fail to understand why this is necessary," Clark protested.

"I'm not asking you to understand, Doctor. I'm just telling you the way it's going to be."

"Doctor, before you say anything else to annoy her, I think you should know that she has jacked better men than you up against the wall when she thinks they're messing with her unit," Rodriguez interrupted. "And one of them was an admiral."

"I intend to complain to your captain about this!" Clark blustered.

"Be my guest," McKinnon invited him. McKinnon knew that Sullivan would back her up, even if he chastised her later. She watched him walk off. "I need to let Sullivan know about Wolenczak," she said, instantly calm now that Clark had left. "I imagine he'll want to notify seaQuest."

"Has he already told them about us?" Tim inquired, trying hard not to envision the reaction it must have caused.

"Most likely. They were en route to the Philippines, so they have probably altered course. I'll let you know."

 

"That is good news, Commander," Sullivan informed McKinnon moments later, as she gave him an update. "Hopefully, it will appease Captain Bridger. He did not react well to the news both had been shot."

"I don't blame him, Sir."

"Yes, well, I imagine you'll have plenty of opportunity to chat with him about this when they arrive."

"I'm sure I will," McKinnon agreed. "I fear I may have irritated Dr. Clark again."

"I think that is an understatement," he told her. "Dr. Clark has already called me." "Sorry about that, Captain."

"No, you aren't, Commander. However, since it does me no good to lecture you about these things, I won't waste my breath."

"Thank you, Sir."

"As for your other concern, I haven't had much time to pursue it."

"Neither have I, but I will. I did verify with Rodriguez that Article One was not violated."

"Very good. When Wolenczak is up to it, we will conduct the debriefing and you can sign off on the mission."

 

Bridger found himself in Lucas' room again. He was trying not to imagine what might have happened with the Outriggers. Unfortunately, his mind kept filling with horrible scenarios for how the two had been shot. Sullivan had notified him that Lucas had come through surgery all right, but he still refused to relinquish any information. Bridger was willing to let the issue slide momentarily; his main concern was getting to Hawaii where he could see for himself that Lucas and Tim were all right. He sat on Lucas' bunk and tried to figure out if there had been a way for him to have prevented any of this from happening.

 

"So, we ended up in quarantine after all," Rodriguez remarked quietly to Tim. They were the only two awake, except for McKinnon, who was sitting in the corner, looking at something on her computer. Rodriguez assumed she was preparing the initial mission report. Tim and Rodriguez were seated by Lucas' bedside, watching the teenager sleep. Both had insisted on being there and, after establishing the fact that Tim was not to walk on his leg, Karneering had reluctantly agreed. The doctor figured that if Tim was still awake after everything, nothing was going to get him to sleep until he was positive his friend was all right.

Once Dr. Clark had realized that Outrigger Blue fully intended to remain with Lucas and Tim, he had given them one of the quarantine rooms, as it was the only one big enough for the ten-member team. Now that Karneering had assured the unit that Lucas would be okay, they had allowed themselves to relax a little and recent events had caught up to most of the team members. Since he was not using it, Ryan was sound asleep on Tim's hospital bed. Adamsen sat, sleeping in a chair, with her legs propped up on the foot of the bed. Karneering had only unwillingly agreed to stretch out on a cot when McKinnon pulled rank. Rodriguez figured that, after he woke up, the doctor would pull rank on her: something McKinnon knew too, which was why she was furiously at work now. Dawson, Hallowell, and Chandler were draped over chairs, also asleep.

"I'm sorry," Rodriguez told Tim for about the twentieth time. Earlier, when everyone else went to sleep, he had told Tim about what had happened. He kept hoping that if he apologized enough it would make him feel better about all that had happened.

"You didn't do this to him," Tim told him. "You would have done anything you could to prevent it."

"I just wish I could have done more," Rodriguez said regretfully, eyeing the teenager, who seemed unnaturally still. He was used to Lucas moving around, giving him a hard time.

Tim nodded. "So do I. And I am not looking forward to facing Bridger when they arrive, either."

"He can't blame you. And you can't blame yourself."

"He's going to be upset. He won't hold me responsible or anything like that. He probably went through the roof when he found out. And Dr. Westphalen. You think Karneering's bad; you haven't seen anything yet," Tim observed. He looked down at Lucas and shook his head. McKinnon had announced that Sullivan had classified the details of the assignment; Tim wondered exactly how they were going to hide the other injuries. Although Lucas' jaw wasn't broken, it was badly bruised and so was the rest of his face;

Karneering figured it would be sore for several days. Tim knew it was going to be obvious to Bridger and Westphalen that more had happened to Lucas than just getting shot. However, the set of McKinnon's jaw, when she made the announcement, had told Tim that she disagreed with the decision. He had learned enough about her in the time with Outrigger Blue to know she would find a way around it.

"You should get some rest," Rodriguez commented.

"So should you," Tim countered.

"You both should be asleep," McKinnon interjected, earning glares from both.

 

"Mind if I join you?" Katie asked Ben, who was sitting at a table by himself, playing with his food.

"Oh, hi," Ben said, looking up from his tray.

"You okay?" Katie questioned. Katie knew that Ben looked upon Lucas as a little brother; as much as he tried to deny it at times, he was a soft-hearted guy. Even as she had registered her own horror at the news, Katie had seen Ben's devastated look. "At least he's okay," she offered.

"Neither one should have been there, Katie. Wherever there is," he commented, shaking his head. "They are not supposed to be doing things that will get them both shot. I mean, it would be bad enough if it was just one, but both? What the hell were they doing?" he inquired angrily.

"I don't know. I wish I did."

"I'd certainly like to talk the Outriggers about how this happened."

"We all would," Katie assured him. "And I have no doubt that the captain will get some answers; classified or not."

"I just want to see them both for myself, especially Lucas," Ben sighed, unhappily. "He's just a kid."

 

Lucas opened his eyes slowly and tried to figure out where he was; his last memory was being on the helicopter and Karneering going to splint his leg.

"Tim?" he whispered weakly, having trouble forming the name. He spotted Tim, with his leg propped up on one chair, reclining in a wheelchair.

"Hey," Tim greeted him softly, sitting up, more alert. He glanced over at McKinnon, who was still awake and signaled her to get Karneering. The doctor had made it clear that, if he walked on his leg for any reason, Tim would suffer dire consequences. Rodriguez had fallen asleep about twenty minutes ago. "Don't talk," he instructed. "We're at the hospital in Hawaii," he added, figuring Lucas might be a little confused.

"Welcome back," Karneering said, moving around Rodriguez's sleeping form to get a look at him.

"Thanks," Lucas told him, coughing a little, which made his ribs hurt, among other places.

"We'll get you a little water in just a second," Karneering informed him, finishing his quick examination. "And I think we'll wait until next time to fill you in on the details," he added, noting that Lucas looked half asleep already.

"Okay," Lucas agreed, sleepily. He stayed awake just long enough for Karneering to sit him up a bit and drink a little water.

"That's pretty normal," Karneering assured Tim and McKinnon, when Lucas had fallen asleep again. "His body was already exhausted before getting shot; sleep is the best thing for him right now. In fact, it's the best thing for you two as well."

"I'm fine," Tim insisted.

"Bedtime, O'Neil," Karneering said firmly. "It may have been relatively minor, but you were shot."

Tim sighed, giving in. He really had no choice, since Ryan chose that moment to wake up anyway. "All right, all right. You're really pushy," he complained.

"I'm an Outrigger; it comes with the job," Karneering commented, wheeling him over to the bed. "Sorry, I'm going to evict you, Ryan," he instructed Ryan, who was sitting up.

"No problem. How's Wolenczak?" Ryan questioned, sliding off the bed and rubbing her eyes.

"He woke up for a bit; he's fine."

"Good."

"Your leg bothering you any?" Karneering asked, Tim had refused pain medication the last three times he had offered. Karneering suspected it was because the lieutenant did not want to fall asleep before Lucas woke up.

"A little," Tim confessed.

"I'll give you something for it," Karneering offered.

"Don't go anywhere, Ryan. I may need you."

"You think he's going to bolt?" Ryan teased.

"No. We still have one more recalcitrant crew member to put to bed," he sighed.

Ryan looked over to where McKinnon had returned to her computer. "Oh."

Tim fell asleep about five minutes after Karneering gave him the pain medication.

"Figured it would knock him right out," Karneering observed. "If only everyone was so easy," he added, with a glance at McKinnon.

"She won't go without a fight," Ryan pointed out. "So, what's the plan?"

"I'm just going to wing it. For once, I'm sorry Rodriguez is out like a light. He handles this so well."

 

"What?" McKinnon inquired, looking up and finding both Ryan and Karneering staring at her.

"When did you last sleep?" Karneering asked. "If it takes you that long to answer, it's been too long," he informed her, when she did not answer right away.

"I need to finish this," McKinnon said, nodding at her computer.

"It can wait, McKinnon," Ryan commented. "That's what you always tell us."

"I'm almost done," McKinnon told her.

"Don't make me pull medical rank on you," Karneering warned.

"I'll be done pretty quick," McKinnon insisted.

"Okay," Karneering said, sitting down across from her.

"Are you going to sit there watching me?" McKinnon inquired.

"Just until you decided to go to bed," Karneering informed her. "This isn't necessary," McKinnon grumbled. "And both can't just sit there and stare at me; it's distracting."

"That's the idea," Ryan informed her, with a trace of a smile.

"McKinnon, you know that tomorrow the seaQuest is going to descend upon us and they probably aren't going to come bearing presents. If you don't get some sleep, you're likely to say something you'll regret," Karneering argued.

"I never regret anything I say," McKinnon disputed, still looking at her computer.

"Commander, please don't be difficult," Karneering pleaded. "I really don't want to get official about this."

"I'm not being difficult."

"You are too," a new voice chimed in. All three turned as Rodriguez stood up from his vigil at Lucas' bedside. "Let's take a walk," he repeated her suggestion of earlier, giving her a sardonic smile as he did it.

"I don't want-"

"Yeah, well, I do," he told her, purposely hesitating as he spoke and glancing back at Lucas anxiously. Rodriguez had worked with McKinnon long enough to know she could not ignore him: not if she thought he needed to talk.

Karneering was not fully sure what Rodriguez was up to, but he could see McKinnon relent, which was all he wanted.

"Fine. We'll go get some coffee," she sighed, standing up.

"Make sure she gets decaf," Karneering instructed Rodriguez softly.

"I'll try," he acknowledged.

 

"You want to tell me about it?" Rodriguez asked McKinnon, once they had walked a bit.

"Tell you about what?"

"What ever it is that has you so ticked off," he replied.

"Who said I was ticked?" McKinnon inquired, not refuting his comment.

"I know you, McKinnon. You are functioning on an adrenaline rush of anger. I recognize the signs. Plus, you've been too quiet. I've heard every other member of the team cursing the Tarsinians in general for what happened to Wolenczak. You've kept yourself focused on something we can't see, which tells me you've got something making you mad, and we know there's only one thing that makes you more furious than one of your team getting hurt. So, who do you think screwed us this time?"

"I never said-"

"Don't deny it, McKinnon," Rodriguez told her. "If you don't want to tell, that's your right, but don't try to convince me I'm wrong."

"Why do I put up with you?"

"Because I'm good at my job and I keep you honest," Rodriguez answered.

"And I would like to remind you that you are the one who always tells us that problems are much easier when you talk them out."

"You know that program Wolenczak set up? Before we left?"

"The one in the UEO files?"

"Yes."

"What about it?"

"Ramsey sent our mission brief outside the organization."

"He did what?!" Rodriguez yelled, ignoring the stares of people walking by.

"You heard me."

"Who, when and why?" he demanded.

"Don't know the why," she replied. "I'm trying to figure that out."

"And then he had the nerve to tell Sullivan to sanction us?!" Rodriguez hissed loudly.

"Yes. Sullivan knows, but I don't know that he'll be able to find to out anything."

"We have to do something."

"We will. I'm not letting him get away with this one," McKinnon promised.

Rodriguez looked at her. "What do you mean by that?" he queried.

"No one messes with my team, Rodriguez."

"You said 'with this one', which implies he's gotten away with another one," Rodriguez observed.

"Not your concern, Rodriguez. It has nothing to do with the Blues," McKinnon stated firmly. Her tone told Rodriguez the subject had just closed, although he filed it away for later discussion.

"What are we going to do?" he finally questioned.

"I'm not sure yet. I'm still working on how I'm going to let Captain Bridger know what happened to Wolenczak without breaking classification."

"We'll figure out a way," Rodriguez assured her.

"Their captain is not stupid; he's going to realize more went on than him getting shot."

"I think that's safe to say."

"But, for now, be nice to Karneering; he's had a rough day too. We'll go back to the room; you'll take a nap."

"Fine."

 

"How do you do it?" Karneering asked Rodriguez, once they had returned and McKinnon had agreed to get some sleep. Ryan had gone back to sleep: this time, in a chair.

"I appeal to her reasonable nature."

"I didn't know she had one. Now, what is it going to take to get you to get some sleep?"

"I just want to wait and see if he wakes up again," Rodriguez said with a nod at Lucas. "Besides, you need some sleep and one of us should be awake. I don't want him to get scared. This is a strange place and it's been a stressful few days."

"Don't get too sensitive on us; we won't know what to do," Karneering advised. "Wake me up if he does."

 

Rodriguez was still awake the next time Lucas opened his eyes. "Hey there," Rodriguez said, leaning over to get a closer look. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I've been run over by seaQuest about ten times," Lucas grumbled. "Why is everyone in the room?" he asked, being slightly more alert this time around.

"We don't do well when one of our team is down, so we're hanging around until you're better," Rodriguez replied, as Karneering walked over.

"It's not your fault," Lucas told him. He realized the statement was incongruous, but he needed to say it.

"You want some more water?" Karneering asked, glad to see that Lucas looked a little more aware of his surroundings this time.

"Yeah. How's Tim? Was I dreaming or did he get hurt?"

"He got shot in the leg. Just a graze though: he's fine. Nothing nearly as impressive as yours," Karneering informed him, helping the teenager sit up for the water.

"And if you ever do it again, I'm going to kill you," Rodriguez interjected, realizing the comment was not logical, but saying it anyway. "You scared the hell out of us."

"Sorry," Lucas mumbled, already going back to sleep.

"If only the rest of you were as cooperative," Karneering sighed. "Gee, there's a cot open; I suggest you go occupy it," he ordered. To his surprise, Rodriguez consented, a definite sign the events of the last few days had started catching up with him.

 

"All right, gang, I think maybe we should see about getting some clean clothes and showers," McKinnon announced, several hours later, when they were all awake, "because the seaQuest is going to be arriving soon and we've already done enough to scare them without looking completely disreputable." Their efforts at cleaning up while Lucas was in surgery had already worn off.

"What about me?" Tim asked, having already been informed by Karneering that he was going nowhere, not that he would have anyway. He did not want to leave Lucas alone.

"We'll bring you some clothes," Dawson promised him. "We need you to look as respectable as possible."

"No kidding," Hallowell mumbled.

"It won't take us long," Ryan told Tim. "We'll be back before seaQuest arrives."

"Can I move over by Lucas before you leave?" Tim requested. "In case he wakes up?" Lucas had woken up a couple of times, but never for very long.

"That can be arranged," Karneering agreed. "Just make sure you stay there."

 

"Where is everyone?" Lucas asked Tim.

"They left to change clothes and shower. The captain and the others are supposed to be here soon," Tim answered, leaning forward to brush a stray piece of hair off the teenager's face. There was something about Lucas being in the hospital that made Tim, and he suspected the others as well, want to take care of him. "Karneering said you could have some water."

"Tim?" Lucas spoke after drinking some water and settling back on the bed.

"What is it?"

"Don't let them give the Outriggers a hard time," Lucas requested. "They did the best they could. McKinnon gave us the chance to back out and we chose not to, and Rodriguez, well, he couldn't stop them. I know he would have and-"

"Take it easy," Tim whispered softly, since Lucas getting extremely agitated. "I will make sure that they understand."

"I just don't want them to take the blame."

"It's okay," Tim told him. "I imagine Karneering is going to be explaining to Westphalen everything that he did," he remarked with a smile.

"Did they tell them what happened?"

Tim shook his head. "No. Captain Sullivan classified the mission. But I think McKinnon's working on a way around that."

"Oh," Lucas murmured drowsily.

"Go back to sleep," Tim ordered quietly, adjusting the covers over him a little better. Tim watched him sleeping, wondering how Lucas could be this calm. Rodriguez had told him about the nightmare the teenager had while they were being held hostage. Karneering had explained earlier that it might take a day or two for reality to sink in.

 

"I'll be back in about twenty minutes," McKinnon instructed Rodriguez quietly, as they headed back inside the hospital. "I need to talk to Sullivan."

"Okay, I'll herd everyone back to the quarantine room. And I promise to behave myself if seaQuest arrives before you return. I will be very professional."

"Who are you and what have you done with Rodriguez?" McKinnon inquired.

"Very funny, Commander."

"Any time."

"Good luck."

 

"So, what are we going to do about it?" McKinnon questioned Sullivan, having just finished discussing Ramsey's actions.

"Commander, there is nothing I can do about it. There is no indication, that in sending that transmission, he caused your mission breach."

"With all due respect, Captain-"

"However, just because I can't do something about it, does not mean that you can't do anything about it," he remarked, giving her a significant look.

"Yes, Sir."

"Also, I'm to inform you that Admiral Ramsey has put all of you in for commendations for your meritorious service on this assignment."

"He's trying to buy us off."

"I would never presume to question the motives of an admiral, Commander," Sullivan told her, his face devoid of emotion. "But you would be wise to consider accepting it. I think it would be an effective platform."

"He better have included O'Neil and Wolenczak."

"He did. And that is one more thing we have to discuss, Commander," Sullivan commented.

"Sir?"

"First, you are authorized to tell Captain Bridger, and only Captain Bridger, of the events that led to their hospitalization. However, if you neglect to mention to him that the information is classified, well, that would only be an oversight on your part. Also, you will have to review Section ninety-nine with O'Neil and Wolenczak."

"Are you serious?" McKinnon queried incredulously.

"HQ is going to hold to that?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Getting shot is not considered a significant deterrent to adhering to the rules, Commander."

"Fine. You are telling Captain Bridger."

"I will," Sullivan agreed, not mentioning that he fully planned to wait for a while before informing the other man, most likely until they had to enforce the rule.

 

"Where's McKinnon?" Tim asked, when the others returned.

"Talking to Sullivan," Karneering replied. "We brought you some clean clothes."

"Good. Can I walk now?"

"No."

"Come on; you don't want them to think I'm a complete invalid," Tim cajoled.

"He has a point," Chandler interjected. "I mean, we're not exactly scoring any points with them."

"Crutches," Karneering consented. "But only for short distances and I get to define short."

"Where am I going to go?" Tim inquired. "You have them all trained."

"I know," he said, smiling. "Chandler will help you change."

"I can dress myself," Tim protested. "Why shorts?"

"If your doctor is half the person you've indicated, she's going to want to look at your wound. I didn't think you wanted to strip for all of us."

"Oh."

 

"What did Sullivan have to say?" Rodriguez questioned McKinnon, upon her return.

"We'll discuss it later. I did get authorization to talk to Bridger about what happened."

"Amazing."

"I think Sullivan realized it's going to be hard to keep it quiet. I need to talk to O'Neil for a minute."

"All right."

 

"What's up?" Tim asked, recognizing that McKinnon had a serious look on her face.

"When your captain and company arrive, would you like us to leave?" McKinnon queried.

"Do you want to leave?"

"Not really, no. But you are in an awkward position: sort of with us, but they are your crew."

Tim thought for a moment, remembering Lucas' earlier request. "Then don't leave."

"Are you sure? It might create tension. Somehow I don't think we're on their list of favorite people."

"Lucas asked me to make sure you don't get blamed. I agree with him. He would want you to stay," Tim stated with certainty, even though he had not discussed it with the teenager.

 

"Why are they in a quarantine room?" Bridger asked the nurse, who was leading

them to where Lucas and Tim were staying. Ford and Crocker had reluctantly stayed back on board seaQuest after extracting promises of a full report, as soon as the others saw Lucas and Tim. Bridger had been slightly surprised to find that no one objected to all of them accompanying him to the room. "No one mentioned quarantine."

"They're not under quarantine; it was just the only room big enough hold them all," the nurse replied. "All?" Kristin questioned.

"The Outriggers are a peculiar group," the nurse explained. "And, apparently, they don't take kindly to separation when one of the team is injured. Anyway, they all spent the night."

"Really?" Bridger queried.

"Yes, Sir. In fact, they got rather adamant," the nurse responded. "There you are." She pointed to the room, which the Outriggers had taken over.

 

The sight of the Outriggers spread out through the room shocked the seaQuest crew. What startled them even more was that they were all instantly on their feet when they saw the seaQuest group, including Tim, standing at rigid attention.

"Captain Bridger," McKinnon greeted him formally. "Sorry to have to meet you under these circumstances."

"So am I, Commander," Bridger acknowledged. "This is some of my crew, whom you haven't met before," he added, launching into introductions, while his group grew restless. They wanted to see Lucas and talk to Tim.

McKinnon ran through her team, who had, the seaQuest group was amazed to realize, managed to line themselves up by rank. "Wolenczak has been awake several times," McKinnon concluded. "Dr. Karneering will be more than happy to discuss specifics with you, Dr. Westphalen," she added.

Kristin looked at Karneering in surprise; during the initial introductions, McKinnon had mentioned only his rank. "I would appreciate that. Perhaps while the others are visiting."

"Of course," Karneering replied, wondering precisely how he was going to explain the knee injury, along with the other ones not related to the gunshot wound. "O'Neil, sit down and put your leg back up, or I will take the crutches away from you," he ordered.

Tim muttered something under his breath, but he did sit in the chair that Dawson produced for him.

"Are you happy now?" Tim questioned the doctor.

Miguel and Ben looked at each other, unwilling to believe that this was Tim, who usually followed orders without question.

"Not really, but I'll take what I can get," Karneering sighed. "Watch him; he's sneaky," he instructed the other Outriggers. "If you'll follow me, Dr. Westphalen."

 

"It's good to see you," Tim finally told the group, hoping to ease the silence that reigned after Karneering took Kristin into the hall. Plus, he had noted the way the members of seaQuest stood glaring at the Outriggers, who refused to relax. "Lucas has been awake and seems to be more alert each time," he added hopefully.

"How are you?" Bridger asked him.

"I'm fine. It was just a minor thing," Tim replied with a shrug. "Karneering is just a tad bit overprotective about these things," he added, earning snickers from the Outriggers.

 

While Miguel and Katie moved to talk to Tim, Bridger and Ben walked over to where Lucas was sleeping. McKinnon and Rodriguez followed closely behind them, knowing that the peace was likely to end quickly. McKinnon had not found a way to broach the subject of his other injuries. Usually not one to avoid being direct, she had decided to let them see Lucas first and then bring up the details.

Tim only partially paid attention to the what the other two had to say, as he watched the procession to Lucas' bedside. Part of him recognized that he was being a coward about this; the other part of him did not care.

 

Bridger stared down at Lucas and found himself speechless; the teenager's bruised face was hard to ignore. However, Ben had plenty to say.

"What the hell happened to him?!" he yelled, getting the attention of everyone in the room.

"Ben!" Katie hissed from the other side of the room. She did not know what had him upset, but she figured it was not a good idea to be shouting.

"I thought you said he got shot?!" Ben continued, ignoring both Katie and the restraining hand Bridger had on his shoulder.

"Ben!" Tim called out, figuring this was a good time to intervene. "Calm down; he's okay."

Ben turned to Tim. "He looks like someone beat the hell out of him, Tim!" The shouting had resulted in Karneering and Kristin rushing back into the room. Rodriguez looked at McKinnon, who gave a slight nod.

"That's because someone did," Rodriguez acknowledged, his voice more calm than he really felt. Since this was not according to Sullivan's orders, he wanted to be the one to violate them. He heard the gasps of shock from the seaQuest crew and watched as they all looked at Tim, who gave a nod of confirmation.

"What do you mean?" Bridger demanded, finally finding his voice.

"Commander, you need to take this discussion elsewhere," Karneering instructed McKinnon. He understood Bridger's anger, but he was not going to let them start a shouting match over his patient. "I really don't want him waking up to this. He's had enough excitement," he added in a vast understatement.

"He's right," McKinnon said. "Let me take you to the conference room," she told Bridger. "Stay here," she ordered Rodriguez, who moved to follow.

"No way, Commander," Rodriguez informed her. "Someone has to make sure that you don't completely blow your career," he whispered.

"I'm coming, too," Tim added. He knew he definitely needed to be present for this explanation. Karneering glared at him, so he reluctantly waited for Chandler to produce a wheelchair, which Rodriguez took control of before he could.

 

"Now, perhaps you'll explain exactly what happened," Bridger said, as they all took seats in a vacant conference room.

"Perhaps you should let me do the talking, Commander," Rodriguez suggested.

"I don't think so," McKinnon told him.

"We don't really care who tells us; we just want to know what's going on," Kristin informed them darkly. Tim saw Rodriguez getting ready to say something and intervened before he could speak.

"Commander McKinnon has been ordered not to tell anyone outside of Captain Bridger. What they're arguing about is who's going to put their career on the line by having all of you present," he explained quickly. Then he looked at McKinnon and Rodriguez and the seaQuest crew for a moment, remembering again his conversation with Lucas.

"You were authorized full disclosure?" he asked McKinnon.

"Yes."

"Good. Now, why don't the two of you go take a walk," Tim recommended.

"O'Neil-" Rodriguez started.

"I don't know all the rules," Tim told them. "Besides, I'm just so addled by all of this I have to tell someone. Who better than my friends?" he queried.

"I see your point," McKinnon assented. She was somewhat reluctant, since she felt, as the officer in charge, that she should be telling the story.

"You've already stuck your neck out far enough, Commander," Tim observed.

"If you'll excuse us, I suddenly remember some details I need to review with Rodriguez," McKinnon said.

 

The seaQuest crew was staring at each other in amazement; this was a side of Tim they had never seen before. "I'm not sure I understood half of that exchange, but I assume this means you are going to tell us what you've been up to?" Bridger questioned him. He found himself remarkably calm, probably because he was still reeli

ng from the shock of seeing Lucas' face. "Yes, Sir," Tim replied, taking several deep breaths before beginning. "When we arrived, Lucas and I were informed that we were considered deployable members of Outrigger Blue."

"We know all that," Kristin commented impatiently.

"Doctor, let the lieutenant tell the story in his own way," Bridger admonished, seeing that Tim was struggling with the task.

"Sorry," she apologized to Tim.

"The first day, one of the other units was sent out and we learned that the Blues were second in rotation. However, McKinnon strongly believed that Lucas and I would be finished before they received an assignment. Unfortunately, that didn't happen."

"No kidding," Ben mumbled, earning a glare from the captain. Ben wanted to get to the part that resulted in Lucas getting beaten up.

"Outrigger Blue was sent to engage in the rescue of the medical team being held on Tarsinia," Tim confessed quickly. "We went to Hawaii and gathered information, before formatting a plan designed to rescue the hostages," he continued, deciding not to bring up the part about jumping out of the helicopter. There were some images that did not need to be planted in their minds.

"That rescue took place almost two days ago; we were notified about you both being shot yesterday," Bridger pointed out.

"I know, Sir. During the rescue effort, the Tarsinians discovered us," Tim admitted. "We got the hostages out, but Lucas and Rodriguez were captured," Tim said the words in a rush.

The silence in the room was deafening. "Captured?" Bridger choked out.

"I'm afraid so. Our orders were to get the hostages out, so we that's what we did," Tim explained, not even noticing that he automatically included himself in with the Outriggers.

"You just left?" Ben questioned him angrily, disbelieving what he was hearing. He could not imagine Tim just walking away from Lucas.

"Yes," Tim answered, looking down at his hands. "There were only eight of us and five hostages. Commander McKinnon had no choice."

"But-" Katie said. Like the rest, she found it hard to hear Tim saying these things so calmly, like it had never occurred to him to do anything else. She had not gotten a good look at Lucas, but Ben's reaction told her all she needed to know.

"Let him finish," Bridger ordered, watching Tim closely, realizing that the lieutenant had been through a lot and that, while he sounded unruffled, it was not that simple.

Tim looked around the table before he spoke again. "Before we started the mission, Commander McKinnon reviewed the risks with us, including the possibility of something going wrong. She gave us the option not to participate; both of us chose to stay," he stated firmly. "We both knew that if anything went wrong with the plan the hostages came first." He waited for them to digest that information. "The Outriggers try to prepare for any situation, so, prior to our departure from Hawaii, McKinnon explained that if, for any reason, we had to leave anyone behind, that we would follow protocol."

"Protocol?" Bridger questioned. "Standard Outrigger Protocol stipulates that a rescue will be attempted thirty-six hours after capture. That's assuming that a mission isn't sanctioned," Tim explicated.

"Sanctioned?"

"In some instances, HQ will disavow any relationship to the action and not attempt any type of rescue or negotiation to retrieve the members. If a sanction is issued, the rest of the team is supposed to return to HQ."

"They abandon them?" Miguel inquired.

"No," Tim replied, shaking his head at the same time. "An Outrigger unit would never leave someone behind without trying to get them back. The team reverts to a special protocol, set by the team at each mission, for a rescue to be attempted on a different schedule."

"Was this mission sanctioned?" Bridger asked.

"Not that I'm aware of," Tim hedged; he did not want to reveal that detail either. "But, because of the nature of the situation, and because Lucas was one of the hostages, McKinnon adhered to it. Therefore, we went back sixteen hours later."

"The eight of you?" Kristin quizzed.

"As well as two other units. Hawaii is the Outrigger training site; there were two units in for a refresher course that volunteered their services," Tim answered, once again deciding there was no point to revealing the whole truth. "This time, we weren't quiet when we went in and we were able to get Lucas and Rodriguez ."

"Is this when you both managed to get shot?" Katie asked.

"Yes. Lucas was shot right before we reached the room where he and Rodriguez were being held in. I was shot while on the ladder, " Tim responded, hoping no one asked too many specifics. However, he figured he would not be so lucky.

"Ladder?" Bridger queried.

"Yes, Sir. Once Rodriguez and Karneering had Lucas on board the helicopter, McKinnon ordered it in the air and had them drop the ladder. The rest of us climbed up into the helicopter from the ground." Tim tried to make the whole procedure sound normal.

"Next you'll tell us they had you jumping out of the thing," Kristin commented.

Tim wisely opted to let the remark pass. He supposed that, eventually, the information would come out, but thought it was best to wait. "While they were being held hostage, their captors were trying to get Rodriguez and Lucas to tell them who they were, who they worked for, and where the hostages were, which they refused to do," Tim continued relating his story.

"That's standard information. At least the first part," Miguel remarked. "We've all had the briefing on rank and serial number."

"The Outriggers are bound by Article One. It states that an Outrigger is to reveal no information that might in any way compromise the integrity of the mission," Tim defined. "Before we left, we had to remove all identifying tags that might reveal our identities or our affiliation with the UEO. In keeping with that, anyone captured is not to even give their name during interrogation."

"Rodriguez looks like he fared all right," Ben stated. "That's because their captor felt that Rodriguez would be more responsive to his questions if they beat Lucas while he watched," Tim admitted.

Bridger closed his eyes and hoped that, when he opened them, he would discover it was just a dream. "Weakest link?" he guessed.

"That's what Rodriguez said," Tim agreed. "Lucas told Rodriguez that he could not violate Article One just because it was him and that Rodriguez had to treat him like he would any other Outrigger. If there had been anything else that he could have done, Rodriguez would have done it. They all would have," Tim stressed.

"How did they get captured in the first place?"

Bridger asked, not wanting to fully address the idea of Lucas being tortured.

"They were separated from the rest of us," Tim explained. "The security system needed to be overridden manually. Lucas was the only that could do it; McKinnon left Rodriguez with him. The rest of us got the hostages out. Lucas and Rodriguez were waiting for everyone to clear the building when the Tarsinians arrived. Rodriguez ordered Ryan and Chandler to get out of the area."

"This whole thing is unbelievable," Kristin commented. "Lucas made me promise to make sure you didn't blame the Outriggers," Tim concluded. "He strongly believes they did the best they could."

"The two of you got shot," Ben pointed out. "And I guarantee that every one of them would have taken our place if they could have."

"Is this all?" Bridger asked Tim, after taking a few minutes to digest everything.

"I believe so. We haven't debriefed yet, so I'm not positive."

"Why not?" Katie questioned. "I would have thought they would do that right away."

"They won't do it until the entire team is ready: that means Lucas too."

"So, technically, you're still assigned to them?" Miguel queried.

"That's why I'm not wearing my seaQuest uniform," Tim informed him.

 

"Well, do you think they'll be ready to lynch us when O'Neil's done talking to them?" Ryan asked Rodriguez.

"I'm not sure," he sighed. "But I'm sure we'll find out once they return."

"That's pretty cool of him: doing it that way."

"I think his crewmates were pretty shocked by it. I get the impression they're used to a different O'Neil."

 

"You're going to have company pretty quick," McKinnon told Lucas, who was awake again. "Your captain and company arrived. They're talking to O'Neil right now."

"Oh, good," he said, yawning. "Why am I so tired?" he complained.

"It's your body taking care of itself. And all the good drugs I have you on," Karneering explained, giving him a quick exam. "Sleep is the best thing for you," he added with a smile. "As you start to heal, you'll be more alert."

"I certainly hope so," he grumbled.

"For now, I think we'll keep you drugged. Something tells me you're much more cooperative this way." Lucas gave him as much of a glare as he could muster and sighed.

"So, what's going on? There been any fireworks yet?" he inquired; he wanted to stay awake long enough to see everyone.

"Only when they saw your face," McKinnon admitted. "Lieutenant Krieg got rather excited about it. Actually, I think they all did; he just spoke up first."

"What are you guys doing?"

"Well, we've still got a few items to clear up, but we'll discuss them a bit later. Nothing that you need to worry about just yet."

"Stop trying to fight it and go to sleep," Karneering ordered. "We'll let your friends stay as long as they want," he added, understanding why Lucas wanted to stay awake.

 

"Well, apparently they've reserved judgment," Rodriguez murmured to McKinnon as Tim returned with the seaQuest crew. "Although I am getting the death glare from Lieutenant Krieg."

"Yeah, well, the doctor is not sending friendly glances my way either," McKinnon observed.

"Commander," Bridger said, walking over to McKinnon, "I do appreciate the fact you allowed Tim to tell us the truth. I still don't understand why you needed either one of them in the first place."

"Captain, there are reasons for our regulations. Sometimes they don't make sense to outsiders; occasionally, they don't make sense to us, but my unit always comes first; in this case it meant telling you the truth. If I had felt we would have been compromised in any way, I would have made sure O'Neil stayed quiet. As for why we needed them, your understanding is not required." McKinnon intended to stand her ground, regardless of whom she was talking to.

Bridger nodded his head; he had to admire her honesty. "He made a strong case for you and your team," he remarked, pointing to indicate Tim.

"Until debriefing, they're both still part of my unit," McKinnon reminded him.

"So I've been told."

"As I said, we have our rules for a reason, Captain. Now, Wolenczak was awake while you were gone. He tried to stay up long enough to see you guys, but he didn't make it. You all are welcome to stay here as long as you like," McKinnon informed him. "We do understand how you feel."

 

"Commander McKinnon!" Clark stormed into the room, before anyone else could speak. "Now I'm informed that your doctor is allowing other personnel to treat these patients, yet you will not permit my staff to even examine them! This is outrageous; you can't allow anyone who walks in off the street to practice medicine here."

Kristin glared at Bridger, who put a restraining hand on her arm. "Let the commander handle it," he ordered, curious to see how she would react. He could tell, from her body language, that McKinnon had plenty to say to the man.

"This is not good," Hallowell mumbled to Dawson, who nodded.

"Commander, I cannot allow this!" Clark continued.

"Uh oh," Tim muttered to Miguel and Ben. "That was not a wise thing to say."

"First, Doctor, if you come in here again, I will have you removed," McKinnon notified him, keeping her voice even.

"This is my hospital; you cannot prevent me from going where I want!" he shouted.

"Section six, paragraph four, subsection B, of the Outrigger Code of Conduct states that a commanding officer may deny access to any individual that is physically or mentally endangering any member of an Outrigger Unit," McKinnon quoted calmly. "As head of Outrigger Blue, I am invoking that particular regulation right now. You are irritating my unit during an already stressful situation and I will not tolerate it. I'm sure that Dr. Karneering will confirm that having you in here shouting is not conducive to the welfare of either one of his patients."

"Certainly," Karneering interjected.

"Second, Dr. Westphalen is not anyone who just walked in off the street," McKinnon continued. "Under Section seventeen, paragraph three, subsection C, the doctor in charge of medical care may deem outside assistance necessary to insure the proper care of Outrigger personnel. Dr. Karneering has the right to invite any professional to participate in the care of the O'Neil and Wolenczak if he believes it is in the best interests of their well being. Since Dr. Westphalen is CMO on seaQuest, it is only natural that he would require her to be involved in their medical treatment at this time," she concluded. "If you have a problem with that, feel free to contact Captain Sullivan."

"I would have thought he would have learned after the last time," Adamsen mumbled.

"I am not finished with you, Commander!" Clark protested.

"Commander Ryan, perhaps you could assist Dr. Clark in finding his way out," McKinnon suggested.

"Certainly, Commander," Ryan agreed. "Lieutenant Dawson, would you please join me?"

"Of course," Dawson assented, walking over so that they could flank Dr. Clark and escort him out of the room.

"Wow," Miguel remarked quietly to Tim. The other members of seaQuest stared at McKinnon in stunned amazement.

"She was much more impressive in the ER waiting room, but she hadn't had any sleep then," Tim told him.

McKinnon turned to Karneering. "I trust that your records already reflect-"

"Naturally, Commander," Karneering acknowledged. "I anticipated Dr. Clark might be a little peeved by the inclusion of Dr. Westphalen."

"Next time, advance warning would be nice, Doctor. I am going to have to talk to Sullivan again."

"Yes, Commander. Would it help if I apologized?" Karneering inquired, forgetting they had an audience.

"I'll take it under advisement. Just don't let it happen again. You've irritated Dr. Clark twice now; let someone else take a turn."

"I'll do it," Chandler volunteered.

"Chandler, I don't think you're helping the situation," Tim observed. "And weren't you the one that told me it isn't wise to make the commander cranky?"

"Finally, a voice of sanity emerges," Ryan remarked. "We are going to miss you," she added.

"He's not gone yet; there's still time for all that to change," Dawson remarked.

"I think you've provided enough education for both of them," Kristin interjected, not sure she liked the amount of levity among the group.

"I think that's our cue to be silent," Adamsen told the group.

"Commander, she has a glare that rivals yours," Rodriguez commented.

Tim snickered, mainly because of the way his friends from seaQuest were just staring at the Outriggers.

"You find that amusing, Mr. O'Neil?" Kristin questioned him.

"Uh, certainly not," Tim mumbled, sensing he might have made a tactical error.

"You'll have to excuse us," McKinnon instructed the seaQuest crew. "We've been under a certain amount of stress."

"So have we, but you don't see us abandoning all sense of propriety," Kristin retorted.

"Doctor," Bridger warned, not wanting to get into an argument with the Outriggers, especially since he had a feeling that they had not seen the full force of McKinnon's temper.

"I'm afraid we never had a sense of propriety to begin with, Doctor," McKinnon remarked.

"That's a surprise," Kristin mumbled, as Bridger glared at her.

"I'm afraid we're all a little on edge, Commander," Bridger offered, getting his own glare from Kristin.

"I've spent a great deal of my career there, so I understand," McKinnon told him. "Now, I think I had better go call Captain Sullivan, so that he can explain to me why we need to be more courteous to our host. I should make you call," she pointed out to Karneering.

"I promised Dr. Westphalen to carefully review all of the medical reports on O'Neil and Wolenczak. And, now that we've convinced them that we're nuts, I think I should follow through. I imagine they'd all like some kind of proof that I attended an accredited medical school," Karneering noted.

"Don't look at me," Rodriguez interjected. "You know I get hives when I have to talk to HQ."

"Hey, I'm third in line precisely so I can avoid these issues," Ryan reminded her. "Have fun, Commander."

"Thank you," McKinnon sighed. "Try to stay out of trouble while I'm gone," she requested. "If you need anything, either Rodriguez or Ryan will be glad to help you," she informed Bridger. "Hopefully, I'll be back soon."

"Don't hold your breath," Rodriguez muttered under his breath.

"Care to share that with the rest of the class, Commander?" McKinnon inquired.

"I said ' we'll hold down the fort in your absence', Commander," Rodriguez offered, realizing that McKinnon was reaching her bounds of toleration.

"Rodriguez, it is not too late to have you sedated. Please keep that in mind."

"Yes, Commander."

 

"Dr. Karneering already looked at it today," Tim complained as Kristin advanced on him, having completed a thorough review of the medical records with Karneering. "It was just a minor thing. Don't you want to look at Lucas?" Tim had a feeling that he was going to get a very thorough examination, especially since she was waiting to look at Lucas.

"He's asleep. He's not going anywhere. I'll check him later," Kristin replied.

"Where are you going?" Tim questioned Hallowell and Chandler, who had been approaching and now backed away.

"We don't want to interfere with the course of your medical care," Chandler told him hastily.

"You're just as much help as they are," Tim moaned, pointing at Miguel, Katie and Ben, who had also left when Kristin came over.

"Yeah, well, we know better than to come between a doctor and his or her patient," Hallowell informed him. "All she would have to do is say the word to Karneering and we'd find ourselves in a world of trouble. It's like this pact or something. You irritate a doctor, they get yours to pay you back."

"Take it like a man, O'Neil," Ryan advised, walking by.

"For once they're offering sensible advice," Kristin told him. Tim noticed the look in her eye and had a feeling he was going to regret having laughed earlier. "I thought you had better sense than to get yourself shot," she lectured, as she checked his wound.

"It wasn't planned," Tim assured her, realizing, almost immediately, that it was the wrong thing to say.

"I expect those kind of comments from Lucas," she informed him. "Now, if you could explain again how this happened?" she instructed.

"Is that really necessary?" Tim inquired.

"Don't be difficult. I am not in the mood."

"I can see that," Tim muttered under his breath. "Ouch!" he yelled, as Kristin pressed on the wound. "You did that on purpose," he accused.

"I'm merely checking for infection," she explained. "I really do not care for the effect these people have had on your behavior."

Tim wisely decided not to comment, although he couldn't wait for the first time she heard Lucas and Rodriguez going at one another. Tim could not really explain the way he acted around the Outriggers. Being around them just made him act differently than he had on seaQuest.

 

Rodriguez glanced at Ryan, who was working on a report and stood up. "I'm going to take a walk." He sighed. "You want anything?"

"No. I'm fine," she answered, not looking up from her computer. "Try not to anger any of the natives; I think McKinnon is reaching her limit."

"I'll do my best."

Rodriguez was not surprised when Ben followed him out of the room; the man had been staring at him ever since Tim had told the seaQuest crew about their assignment. "You have something to say?" Rodriguez inquired, turning around to face him.

"I'm just trying to figure all of this out. You have no problem taking them into a dangerous situation, but you all act like you care," Ben challenged.

"Danger comes with our jobs," Rodriguez told him. "We don't get the easy assignments. That doesn't mean we don't care. It just means that we accept risks every time we go into the field. We did what we had to do to fulfill our duty. It meant that everyone had to make some hard choices, starting with McKinnon and ending with your two crewmates."

"They shouldn't have been there."

"Maybe, maybe not: that was not our decision to make. HQ made that call. We do have to follow orders."

"Sounds like there's always a way out," Ben observed, thinking of McKinnon's earlier confrontation with Dr. Clark.

"McKinnon knows every rule that governs our behavior and she exploits them to the best of her ability, but, ultimately, it comes down to the safety of our mission. She could not come back for us while she still had five hostages to consider. It would have endangered thirteen lives. She made the right choice."

"And Lucas paid for it," Ben stated bitterly.

"No," Rodriguez corrected. "He paid for the choices I made. I upheld Article One because that's my job. We operate on trust in our organization. If I had revealed any information, it could have jeopardized what the team planned. For our safety, and theirs, it was an unacceptable risk."

"All you thought about was your duty?" Ben questioned. "Didn't it bother you?"

"Yes, it bothered me," Rodriguez admitted. "But you also have to face reality. What do you think would have happened if I had told them what they wanted?" Rodriguez questioned. Like McKinnon, he was unwilling to back down from the position he had been forced to take. He would have done anything to alter what happened on the assignment, but he refused to apologize for the choices he had made. "Whether you all accept it or not, O'Neil and Wolenczak had jobs to do and we counted on them to perform to the best of their ability."

"Lucas is sixteen; he is not combat trained," Ben pointed out. "And Tim is a communications officer; he shouldn't have been there either."

"HQ said they were qualified. They both rose to the occasion and they knew what they were doing when they put the uniform on. You have a problem with that, that's up to you."

"I have a huge problem with that," Ben told him. "Then you'll have to deal with it," Rodriguez remarked, "because it happened and your not liking the results doesn't change the facts."

"You really believe that?"

"If McKinnon had to do it all over again, she would. When we're in the field, you cannot let things get personal. That's why everything is personal when we're not on a mission. We did everything in our power to ensure their safety, but there are no guarantees in life."

"That's a cold philosophy," Ben observed.

"It's not cold; it's practical. There is a difference."

"Not much of one, if you ask me."

"Well, I didn't. There are only four people that have to understand the decisions I made. Me, McKinnon, O'Neil and Wolenczak. I didn't ask for your approval and I don't need it."

 

Bridger sat by Lucas' bedside, watching the teenager, trying to remember if he had ever seen him this still or quiet. Kristin still had Tim pinned down for an examination; he did not envy him. While Lucas was still sleeping, Tim was going to bear the brunt of her desire to inspect the duo to make sure they really were all right. He had noted Ben following Rodriguez out into the hall and trusted the lieutenant not to create trouble.

"Captain?" Lucas spoke softly. He felt a sense of relief at seeing Bridger sitting by the bed. It was a sign that life was going to return to normal.

Bridger leaned forward and gave him a smile. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I really hate that question," Lucas mumbled. "I've been shot; all I want to do is sleep and I can't move. How do you think I feel?"

"Much better than you have been?" Bridger suggested dryly. If Lucas was up to complaining already, he must be feeling better.

"Oh good, you're awake," Kristin remarked, joining them. Tim had been more than willing to point out that Lucas had woken up. "Now I can examine you, too."

"You're just going to let her, aren't you?" Lucas questioned Karneering, who had also walked over.

"Of course," he agreed. He leaned over to whisper in his ear, "She threatened to report me to the medical board if I didn't. I like you, but I also like having my license."

"In other words, you sold me out," Lucas grumbled.

"I prefer to think of it as getting a second opinion," Karneering informed him. "I can see you're in excellent hands; I think I'll make sure my report is ready for McKinnon."

"Can I go back to sleep now?" Lucas asked Kristin, hopefully.

"In a minute, when I finish," she told him. "Lie still," she ordered, when he shifted a little.

Lucas looked over at Bridger, hoping for some kind of reprieve.

"I'm staying out of this one," Bridger told him; he knew better than to get in the way of Kristin checking to make sure the teenager was all right.

 

"You liked working with them," Katie commented to Tim, as she and Miguel sat talking to him.

"It was different," Tim responded. "They're good at what they do. It's not something I would want to spend my life doing. And they're nice people."

"Nice is not a word normally associated with the Outriggers," Miguel pointed out.

"Did you leave him alive?" Tim questioned Ben, who had just returned from his talk with Rodriguez.

"Looks that way," Ben remarked. "This whole thing doesn't make sense and you're so calm about it."

"I've had plenty of time to adjust," Tim reminded him. Tim also knew that, having gone through it, he found it easier to accept. There were things about this assignment that Tim had a feeling no one was going to understand, except for him and Lucas.

 

McKinnon entered the room and headed to where Rodriguez , Ryan and Hallowell were conversing. "We're going to have a little meeting," she instructed quietly. "I think Wolenczak's in good hands while they're here," she added with a nod at the seaQuest crew. "We have a couple of details to finalize."

"I'll get Adamsen and Dawson," Hallowell told her.

"I'll grab Chandler and Karneering," Ryan volunteered.

"I'll find a room," Rodriguez offered. "You can get O'Neil and let Wolenczak know what's up."

"Sounds like a plan," McKinnon agreed, already walking over to where Kristin was still giving Lucas a physical. "Excuse me," she interrupted.

"Please tell me you've come to save me," Lucas pleaded.

"Sorry, not this time," McKinnon told him. "We have a few points to review, regarding our assignment, so we're going to take care of that. I'll fill you in later. I don't think you're quite up to a meeting just yet."

"Certainly not," Kristin interjected. "He's going to stay right where he is."

"We will be taking O'Neil with us," McKinnon informed Bridger. "I need his input."

"All right," Bridger assented, understanding that she was not asking his permission.

 

"What's up?" Tim asked when McKinnon walked over; he recognized the expression on her face. She was in her professional mode again.

"We have a few issues to clear up regarding our assignment. I can't afford to delay any longer and I do need your feedback," McKinnon explained.

"Of course," Tim told her. "I'm not going to get nailed for going too far, am I?" he inquired, as he grabbed his crutches.

"I'll tell Karneering it was my fault," McKinnon assured him.

 

"They are a most unusual assortment of people," Kristin commented, watching the Outriggers file out of the room.

Lucas thought they were behaving more normal than usual, but he decided not make that point. "It's because of the job they do," he told her.

"How can you say that?" Katie asked. Since Tim had left, she, Ben and Miguel had joined them. "They got you shot."

"They didn't pull the trigger," Lucas pointed out.

"Lucas-.." Ben started.

"You were in that position because of them," Kristin interjected.

"No, I was there because HQ made them abide by the rules," Lucas argued. "They did the best they could with the situation. McKinnon gave us plenty of chances to say no; Tim and I chose to stay. If I had asked him, Rodriguez would have forgotten about Article One, but I couldn't do that to him. And it turned out all right," Lucas defended heatedly.

"I think we'll table this discussion for later," Kristin said firmly. "You've had more than enough excitement over the past few days," she added, glaring at the others for provoking him. "I am curious about something. Dr. Karneering: is he an active participant in their missions?" she inquired, changing the subject to avoid agitating Lucas again.

"McKinnon only takes ten people into the field; everyone has a job to do," Lucas replied.

"But he's a doctor," Miguel remarked.

"He's also a good shot," Lucas responded, not thinking about the reaction that would provoke.

"I think it's time you went back to sleep," Kristin ordered.

"I've been sleeping," Lucas protested.

"Don't argue with me," she instructed.

 

"Okay, there are a few things about this mission we have to discuss," McKinnon told the group, which was assembled in the conference room Rodriguez had found. McKinnon knew they were not going to react well to the news.

"What is it?" Adamsen asked, sensing that McKinnon had something important to say.

"When we returned to our command center, prior to returning to Tarsinia for the second time, I uncovered evidence that Admiral Ramsey sent the mission profile outside the agency."

"That son of a -" Ryan yelled. "Sorry," she apologized, after earning a glare from McKinnon.

"Why?" Chandler demanded. "Is that why he wanted to sanction?"

"To cover himself?" Dawson finished.

"I don't know why, but there is no evidence that his actions caused our mission to be uncovered."

"And we're supposed to find that comforting?" Ryan inquired angrily.

"It gets better. Admiral Ramsey has put us up for a commendation."

"I hope you told him where he could put his commendation," Rodriguez retorted.

"No, because, unless there are any objections, we are going to accept the commendation," she announced. "And I'll tell you why," she continued, among their protests.

"Well, speaking for myself, it sounds like an excellent idea," Tim informed her, after McKinnon had explained herself. "And I think Lucas would agree."

"We'll let Wolenczak have his say before we make the final decision," McKinnon assured him. "The rest of you have any complaints?"

"I like the way you think, Commander," Rodriguez told her.

"Sounds like the way to go," Dawson agreed.

"So, how do we proceed from here?" Ryan questioned.

"I'll contact Sullivan and make the arrangements once we know that Wolenczak agrees as well. How soon can he travel?" McKinnon directed the question to Karneering.

"By the end of the week, assuming that we're flying and he's kept quiet."

"Good luck," Tim interjected, thinking that keeping Lucas from overdoing it was not going to be easy. "However, I'm going to leave it to you to explain it to Dr. Westphalen."

"Coward," Hallowell mumbled.

"I'm sorry; that's just one lady I do not want to tick off," Karneering observed. "And I don't think wanting to move him at the end of the week is going to make her dance a jig of happiness."

"I'll talk to Captain Bridger," McKinnon told him. "Let him tell her."

"So, you're a chicken, too?" Rodriguez queried.

"Rodriguez, careful, she was shooting the evil eye in your direction several times. I could let you tell her."

"No, I think I've annoyed enough of the crew."

"They'll get over it. It's just hard for them to accept," Tim explained.

"We understand," Ryan assured him. "We wouldn't be any different if positions were reversed."

 

"What do you make of all this?" Kristin asked Bridger; after some more arguing, Lucas had succumbed to sleep again. "Tim is almost a different person," she added.

"I had noticed," Bridger acknowledged. "I think there are things that Tim omitted for one reason or another," he added. "And it's very obvious that they both feel a strong loyalty to the Outriggers. I also think that the Outriggers reciprocate the feeling."<P<p "You like them, don't you?" Kristin accused him.

"I'm not sure 'like' is the right word," Bridger denied. "However, I do have a certain respect for the fact they found themselves caught between a rock and a hard place."

"They're much too cocky for my tastes. They do not have a great deal of respect for authority."

"I have a feeling that we are not seeing them at their best."

"I should hope not. If this is their best, I do not want to see their worst. I'm not at all impressed with the effect it's had on either one," Kristin continued, referring to Lucas and Tim.

"I'm sure everything will be fine."

"I still don't like anything about this whole situation. I will be much happier when I can take them back to seaQuest," Kristin informed him.

"We all will," Bridger agreed.

 

Several hours later, only Bridger remained at the hospital. The rest of the seaQuest crew, including Kristin, had returned to the ship. Bridger had been unwilling to leave Lucas or Tim just yet. The rest of the Outriggers had spent most of the afternoon working on their computers; Bridger sensed a feeling of urgency among them.

"I think they're relieved the doctor agreed to go," Tim remarked. He had joined Bridger at Lucas' bedside.

"She does feel rather strongly about all of this," Bridger agreed. "And she's having a hard time adjusting to the attitude you two seem to share about it."

"So are you," Tim stated, hearing what Bridger was not saying. "Captain, the moment they were ordered to adhere to the rule about temporary assignments everyone had a choice to make," he started, wanting to explain what he wasn't sure he fully understood himself. "For the Outriggers, the choice was whether or not to accept us as part of their team. Lucas and I had to decide if we were going to make the best of the situation or complain about it. We didn't talk about it; we both just elected to act professionally about it. When we made that decision, we had to follow through. We could not walk away from them. I'm not saying that Lucas and I have adopted a new approach to life or that we want to do this again. I'm just saying that, in this instance, we made an agreement when we put on their uniform and we could not ignore that promise."

"I guess all we can see is that both of you got hurt," Bridger commented.

"And I suppose I'd feel the same way if it was Miguel or Ben or any of the others that was sitting in my place. I am sorry that Lucas got hurt; I wasn't planning on getting shot myself. However, I can't blame the Outriggers for that. They did everything they could for us. It could have easily been one of them. They don't take unnecessary risks, Captain. Every decision McKinnon makes in the field takes into account what's best for the team."

"I don't think their personalities made a good impression on the doctor either," Bridger observed, changing the subject slightly. It was going to take him time to reach any level of acceptance of what had happened.

"You get used to it," Tim told him. "It's a defense mechanism: a way for them to release tension."

"I can see where that might be necessity," Bridger conceded.

 

Lucas whimpered in his sleep, caught in a dream. Bridger woke up abruptly and heard him moaning; he sat up, ready to offer comfort, but stopped as he realized someone else was already there.

"Wake up," Rodriguez ordered softly, placing one hand on the teenager's good shoulder and giving it a gentle shake. He had to smile as Lucas jumped. "You're just having a dream," he told him.

"Ghost?" Lucas inquired, automatically reverting to the nickname, even though he had noticed that the Outriggers had stopped using them.

"Yeah, it's me," Rodriguez answered, sitting down and pulling his chair closer, so he could see the teenager better. He glanced across the bed and saw that Bridger looked like he was still sleeping. "What were you dreaming about?" he asked.

"Nothing," Lucas mumbled, his voice wavering slightly. Even without looking at him, Bridger could tell he was lying; he waited to see how Rodriguez would react.

"Come on, Slick; we've done this dance before," Rodriguez pointed out, also slipping back into the nicknames. He had been an Outrigger too long to be comfortable with first names, but calling him Wolenczak seemed inappropriate at the moment. "So, let's skip the part where you try to tell me it's nothing and get to the part where you tell me the truth."

"Your bedside manner stinks," Lucas informed him.

"We've had this conversation before and I agreed with you then, too," Rodriguez reminded him. "So, what was the dream about?"

"I don't suppose you'd believe me if I told you I didn't remember?" Lucas suggested.

"Try again."

"You're tough."

"I'm an Outrigger; it's in the job description. Now, stop trying to get me sidetracked. It's not going to work."

"We were still there," Lucas muttered softly.

Rodriguez leaned forward, since he could barely hear his voice. "Well, not to be depressing, but I imagine you're going to have a lot of those, Slick."

"This time it was different. They were hurting you and I couldn't stand it," Lucas continued, his breathing becoming ragged as he remembered the dream.

"Take it easy," Rodriguez whispered. "Take some deep breaths; that's it. It was just a dream. It can't hurt you. We're in the hospital. I'm here; O'Neil's here; your captain is sitting beside you and the rest of the gang is here too. And none of us are going to let anything hurt you. You just relax and, when you're ready, you can tell me the rest." Bridger was not sure what surprised him the most: the fact that Rodriguez was so gentle with Lucas or that Lucas was responding to it. He knew, from experience, that getting Lucas to talk about anything could be extremely difficult.

"So I broke Article One," Lucas started again, a few moments later. "And everyone got hurt because of me," he concluded. "You and the rest of the team."

"You really do go for the worst case scenario, don't you?" Rodriguez teased lightly. "Listen, Slick, it didn't happen like that. You just had a bad dream. I wish I could tell you that in a few days this is all going to go away, but I can't. I can tell you it will get better."

"When?"

"I don't know the answer to that one, Slick," Rodriguez told him gently. "But you're going to get through this. You have some good friends that are going to help you. You and O'Neil had a pretty good friendship before this; I don't see him just walking out on you. And Bridger and the doctor: they may not think much of us, but they care about you a lot. I don't see your friend, Krieg, leaving you in a lurch either," Rodriguez remarked. "Or the rest of them, for that matter. And I'm here for you, you know that. So is the rest of the team. You need us; all you have to do is call. Like it or not, you and O'Neil are stuck with us."

"I don't think you better let Dr. Westphalen hear you say that," Lucas observed.

"I'd have to agree with you on that one. Between her and Krieg, I'm not going to any dark alleys alone."

"Thanks, Ghost."

"Any time, Slick, any time. Now, you need to get back to sleep. Karneering will get cranky if he finds you awake at this hour. He might not give you the green lollipop when this over."

"No, not that."

"Yeah, well, he's already threatened to give O'Neil a purple one. While not as bad as getting orange, it is a sign that you're slipping in his list of agreeable patients," Rodriguez explained, adjusting the covers on Lucas a little better.

"Tim has gotten a little feisty since working with you," Lucas commented.

"Unfortunately, we have that effect on people. Stop talking and go to sleep," he ordered softly.

"What if I-" Lucas let his voice trail off, unwilling to admit that he was afraid to fall asleep again.

"Don't worry; I'm not going anywhere and your captain is right next to you, so there's no reason for any more bad dreams, okay?"

"Okay," Lucas agreed.

 

Bridger listened as Lucas' breathing grew steady and regular, indicating that the teenager had fallen back to sleep, but, before he could say anything to Rodriguez, another voice spoke up.

"How are you doing, Rodriguez?" McKinnon asked.

"Remind me again why I'm an Outrigger," he sighed tiredly. "And promise me that I will never find myself trying to comfort a sixteen-year-old, who spends more time worrying about what might have gone wrong if Inouye had decided to beat me instead of him, than he does about what really happened."

"You know, in general, I don't care for using force to take care of problems," McKinnon remarked, sitting down beside him. "For the first time in my career, I am glad that I fired the shot."

"HQ know anything about that? I mean, what happened to Inouye; is he still alive?"

"I don't know. The Tarsinians are playing the whole thing close to the vest. They are disavowing both the Nationalists, for taking the hostages, and the UEO, for undertaking covert operations, especially since they indicated their desire to negotiate. Nothing is being said about either one of you."

"I'm not surprised. Tarsinia isn't going to want it spread around; neither is the UEO."

"Anyway, we're almost done with this one."

"I hope we get a longer break this time," Rodriguez remarked.

"We should; we have to pick replacements."

"You know, all the other commanders don't make it a team decision," Rodriguez pointed out.

"Well, as has often been said, I'm not other commanders. I have to go get some sleep. Karneering has been muttering 'medically unfit for duty' under his breath all day. Don't stay up too late," McKinnon advised. "We do have reports and other details to take care of over the next few days."

"I hate paperwork."

"Rodriguez, you'd like the world to think you hate everything."

"True," he agreed.

 

Bridger remained silent, deciding to think about the two conversations he had overheard. Obviously there was more to the Outriggers than they let on, and he felt fairly confident there were details about their recent assignment that he would never know.

 

"Okay, you feel up to being serious for about five minutes?" McKinnon asked Lucas, two days later. This was the first time the room had been devoid of seaQuest personnel since they had arrived. A grudging peace had ensued between the two groups, although McKinnon felt fairly certain it was only their mutual concern for Lucas and Tim that made it possible.

"Sure. Does it involve getting up?" Lucas asked her hopefully. He had started feeling well enough to be frustrated with being in bed.

"I'm a brave woman, Wolenczak, but even I know better than to question the medical advice of either one of your doctors," McKinnon informed him.

"I guess that's a no?"

"No wonder they say you're a genius," Ryan teased, passing by.

"What's going on?" Lucas questioned, realizing that McKinnon wanted to be serious.

"Your little program turned up some information while you were imprisoned on Tarsinia," McKinnon responded.

"Really?"

"Yes. Turns out the mission brief went outside the organization prior to implementation. There is no evidence that it resulted in your capture, but we are disturbed by the breach in protocol," McKinnon explained, watching his face carefully. Of everyone in the room, he and Rodriguez had the most right to be angry about this.

"You know who did it?"

"Admiral Ramsey."

"Why?"

"We don't know."

"Does he know that you know?"

"No, Sullivan made an inquiry, but kept it discreet."

"And that's it?" Lucas inquired angrily.

"Sullivan can't do anything; he's not directly involved in the problem and there is no evidence that it compromised our integrity. That's all HQ is interested in."

"What if he does it again? Does someone have to get killed before someone calls him on it?" Lucas hissed.

"Admiral Ramsey wants to present the team with a commendation for our service," McKinnon remarked, suspecting it would rile him even more.

"Trying to buy us off?" Lucas demanded. "I hope you told him what he could with it," he added.

McKinnon chuckled. "Sorry, Rodriguez said about the same thing; now I know you two have spent too much time together. Our intention is to accept the award, with your approval."

"Why? Why would you want anything from him?"

"Because it could prove beneficial to us. We have an idea about how to prevent this from happening again," McKinnon explained. Then she quickly outlined her plan.

"How did everyone else vote?" Lucas queried. McKinnon had told him it had to be a unit decision. He thought he knew how everyone had voted, but he was curious.

"I'm not telling until you vote," McKinnon replied. "This is your choice."

"I think it's a good idea," he told her, his eyes still burning with anger. "But who's going to tell Dr. Westphalen?"

"I'm going to tell your captain. I think we'll let him tell your doctor," McKinnon confessed.

"McKinnon's getting cautious," Rodriguez interjected, joining them.

"Why is everyone coming over this way?" McKinnon asked, noting that most of the Outriggers were heading towards Lucas' bed.

"O'Neil and Karneering are battling about the crutches again," Hallowell informed her. Tim had been trying for the last day and a half to convince Karneering that he no longer needed the crutches. Thus far, Karneering was winning the battle, mainly because Kristin had thrown her support behind the doctor.

"Oh. I thought it was your turn to referee," Lucas told Dawson.

"No way. When you guys leave, I'm still here with Karneering. I know where my loyalty must lie on this one," Dawson informed him, raising his hands in surrender.

"I see your point."

 

McKinnon sat, waiting for Sullivan to appear, knowing that she was taking the easy way out, but she felt justified. It had been several long days; she did not want any battles over details.

"Captain Sullivan," she addressed him.

"Commander McKinnon. I must commend you; I have not had any more calls from Dr. Clark," Sullivan informed her.

"We do our best, Sir," McKinnon told him.

"So, why are you calling?"

"After careful consideration, the team has decided to accept Ramsey's commendation," McKinnon explained carefully.

Sullivan studied her and resisted making any comments. The decision did not surprise him; he was just impressed she could stand there telling him this with a straight face. Although Sullivan held all of his commanders in high regard, he had to admire McKinnon's dedication to her unit.

"I'm sure Ramsey will be pleased with your agreement."

McKinnon ignored her urge to smile and continued speaking. "However, our concern is the attendance of Wolenczak and O'Neil. I feel that their presence is vital. They certainly played an equal part in our success."

"And why do you think attendance is going to be a problem?"

"Because I'm afraid that Captain Bridger and his crew are not overly impressed with the time Wolenczak and O'Neil have spent with us."

"Getting shot tends to have that effect on people, Commander," Sullivan pointed out.

"I understand that, Sir."

"You do know that there is a regulation which covers your dilemma."

"I'm not sure I am the best person to point out the regulations to the captain, Sir."

"Commander McKinnon, are you asking me to take care of your dirty work for you?" Sullivan inquired, amused. He had never seen McKinnon reluctant to tackle anything in the past.

"If you prefer to look at it that way, yes," McKinnon admitted. "I choose to think of it as deferring to the chain of command. I am, after all, only a commander."

"Let me write this down, Commander," Sullivan requested.

"Sir?"
"I just figure I will never get another chance at hearing you admit that there is some purpose to chain of command."

"I'm glad this amuses you, Sir."

"When do you want to leave?" Sullivan questioned, willing to stop giving her a hard time.

"We hope to be ready to go in another three days. Karneering believes that Wolenczak will be up to the flight by then. He is definitely feeling better," McKinnon remarked. "But we will set up both the debriefing and the presentation around him to make sure that he does not overdo it."

"All right. I will inform Captain Bridger that Outrigger Blue will be returning to HQ for debriefing in three days and that there will be an awards ceremony to be held two days after that and that we expect to see them there; maybe that will appease them. I will tell the Admiral that, in the interests of Wolenczak's health, there will be group presentation of the commendation rather than an individual. And I assume, that as unit CO, you will accept the award for the team?"

"That will be satisfactory."

" Very good, Commander. I will let you know if there is any trouble with any of this."

"Thank you, Captain."

 

"How did it go with Sullivan?" Rodriguez inquired, when McKinnon returned to the room. He and Lucas were playing cards with Tim, Hallowell, Dawson and Adamsen.

"He agreed to make the call."

"Does he know what you're planning?" Lucas asked.

"Why did you do that?" he questioned Rodriguez, who had just discarded.

"Next hand, you get to be his partner," Rodriguez grumbled to Tim, who had started the card game.

"Sullivan?" McKinnon queried, answering Lucas' question. "He suspects. He can't ask outright; it would put him in a bind."

"That makes sense," Tim commented. "And I was his partner this morning; it's Hallowell's turn," he informed Rodriguez.

"Gee, I feel loved," Lucas groused. "See?" he pointed out to Rodriguez, as Dawson picked up the discarded seven of hearts and went out.

"How many points?" Adamsen asked. "Well, O'Neil's winning and you two," she told Lucas and Rodriguez, "are in last place."

"That's sad. Two of you playing and you keep going backwards," McKinnon observed, taking a look at the score sheet. "I think the object of Rummy is to be on the positive side of the points."

"Thank you for the advice," Rodriguez told her.

"That's a big help."

"Any time. Next time Rodriguez offers to be your partner, go the other way," McKinnon advised Lucas. "Cards are not his specialty. He could not win if you let him stack the deck."

"I wish someone had told me that earlier," Lucas remarked.

"Watch it or I'll get Karneering to up your pain medication," Rodriguez warned him. "Then you'll be back to sleeping."

"I already do enough of that."

"When is Sullivan going to call Bridger?" Tim questioned McKinnon, trying to prevent Lucas and Rodriguez from getting started again.

"I don't know," she admitted. "Soon, I think."

"I think we'll hear the yelling from here, Tim," Lucas pointed out.

"You're probably right about that."

 

Bridger stared at Sullivan in disbelief. He could not believe that Sullivan had calmly explained that Outrigger Blue would be returning to their headquarters in three days and that Lucas and Tim would be traveling with them.

"I suppose that if I object, you will produce some archaic regulation that makes it necessary," he finally sighed.

"Not archaic, Captain. The Outrigger Code of Conduct was updated last year. We went from one hundred and eighty-six rules to ninety-nine," Sullivan replied impassively. "Debriefing always takes place at HQ."

"Always?" Bridger challenged.

"In ninety-nine percent of field operation," Sullivan verified. "Plus, Outrigger Blue is receiving a commendation from Admiral Ramsey for their handling of the situation in Tarsinia. That ceremony will take place at HQ, as well. Having served with Outrigger Blue for the duration of the assignment, the attendance of O'Neil and Wolenczak is mandatory."

"When will I get my people back?"

"Commander McKinnon will conduct the majority of the debriefing prior to the presentation of the commendation. Then she will require a short period for a final review. Then O'Neil and Wolenczak will be free to return to seaQuest. Your presence is expected at the ceremony."

"Oh, we'll be there," Bridger assured him, already trying to figure out how he was going to explain this> latest news to his crew.

 

After a brief conversation with Noyce, who confirmed the orders, as he had already verified them with Ramsey, Bridger was forced to accept the idea. The captain sighed as he headed to tell the one person he knew would be extremely upset by this piece of news and she did not disappoint him.

"They want to do what?" Kristin demanded. "You're not allowing it, are you?"

"I can't prevent it," Bridger explained with more patience than he felt. "It has the support of Ramsey and the Secretary-General. They want them there for the presentation."

"They get shot and the Admiral thinks it's a cause for celebration?" Kristin inquired, her voice tinged with sarcasm. "They need to be back on seaQuest where they belong," she stated.

"Apparently Ramsey was quick to point out that either one of them could be injured on seaQuest at any time," Bridger told her.

"Lucas will not be up to traveling that soon," Kristin proclaimed. "As his doctor, I have serious reservations about-"

"I've been asked to remind you that, as a temporary member of Outrigger Blue, Lucas is still under the primary care of Dr. Karneering. If he says Lucas is able to go, there's nothing you can do about it," Bridger interrupted.

"And what do Lucas and Tim have to say about it?" Kristin inquired, still hoping for a way out.

"Neither one has lodged any objections to the plan. Noyce was given the impression that they agreed to it," Bridger admitted.

"Obviously this time with those people has not done them any favors," she observed. "Why would they consent to this?"

"I don't know," Bridger replied, getting the strong impression that Lucas and Tim would be explaining themselves for a long time.

 

"Well, that went well," Lucas remarked to Tim, several hours later, after they had been visited by Bridger and Kristin.

"We knew it wasn't going to make them happy," Tim reminded him, noticing that the rest of the Outrigger were studiously keeping out of hearing range. Tim wondered what Dr. Westphalen would make of that. The doctor had made it very clear she did not think very highly of the team in general and, specifically, did not like the influence they had on Lucas and Tim.

"I didn't think it was going to make her quite that upset," Lucas told him. "We're going to be paying for this for a long time," he added.

"The captain seemed pretty resigned to it," Tim offered hopefully. "He didn't like it, but he wasn't as vocal."

"Dr. Westphalen did not give him a chance," Lucas pointed out. "But he was pretty calm about it," he admitted. Once Bridger had verified that the two had no objections to returning to headquarters with the Outriggers, he had not offered any protest. "Did you tell them everything?" he asked, changing the subject a little. It was something he had been wondering since he had woken up. He and Tim had not had much time to talk by themselves.

"I edited some parts," Tim confessed. "I did not tell them how we landed on the island. I did not think they really needed the vision of us jumping out of a helicopter."

"I never want to do that again."

"I also didn't mention the part about the sanction. I had to tell them what it was to explain the protocol, but I didn't mention that Ramsey had ordered it."

"That was good, except they're probably going to find that part out."

"We can hope they won't be paying attention," Tim suggested, hopefully.

"I doubt we'll be that lucky, Tim."

"I skipped the part about your locator not working and I made no reference at all to the nicknames," Tim concluded. "And I also did not mention that McKinnon gave me a chance to notify them before we made the rescue attempt."

" They don't understand, do they?" Lucas questioned, referring to other members of seaQuest.

"There are times when I'm not sure I understand, Lucas, and I was there," Tim sighed. "I think this is one of those experiences you can't fully explain to someone who didn't participate."

"Another reason for the team being close-knit. I can't imagine not being able to share this with someone."

"I know what you mean," Tim agreed softly. "You know, when we're back on seaQuest, if you need to talk, I'm available." Tim was worried that the teenager might try it keep everything inside when they returned to seaQuest. The last few days, it had become obvious that the rest of the crew was uncomfortable with everything that had gone on. Tim understood how they felt and he thought that, with a little more time, they would reach an acceptance, but he wanted to make sure Lucas knew he was there in the meantime. Tim did not mention the long conversation he had with McKinnon on the topic. McKinnon had wanted to remind him that this was not something either one should handle alone. She had also repeated Rodriguez's earlier comments to Lucas about the Outriggers being available to talk as well.

"Thanks, Tim: the same for you. I know this wasn't an easy on you," Lucas told him, his voice hesitating a little. These were the conversations Lucas found most difficult; he wanted to be there for his friend, but talking about feelings always made him nervous. "Most of the time it's okay," he said, looking away a little, "but sometimes I get scared. I've had some dreams," he acknowledged.

"So have I," Tim informed him, swallowing nervously. "I find myself seeing it happen again, only this time different decisions are made," he continued; this time he was the one who looked away.

"It's not your fault," Lucas assured him, moving so he could look at Tim. "You did the best you could. Nothing you did would have made a difference. You were not sent on this assignment to protect me. And don't let anyone tell you any different," he instructed softly. Lucas suspected that, now the other seaQuest crew could see Tim was all right, they held him somewhat responsible for Lucas getting hurt. "You didn't make me go along, any more than you could have stopped me."

"As Ryan is often fond of pointing out: what my brain knows and what my heart believes are often different," Tim observed.

"She still blames herself for leaving us," Lucas commented. Both Lucas and Rodriguez had made their best arguments to her for why she had done the right thing, and it was slowly sinking in. "She had no choice. You know, I always wondered how I would act in that kind of situation," Lucas said thoughtfully. "Reality is a lot different."

"It usually is," Tim agreed.

"Rodriguez told me it will get better. I just wish he could tell me when," Lucas sighed. "All in all, jumping out of the helicopter was one of the easiest parts of all of this. I never thought I'd say that."

"I learned things about myself I never imagined," Tim admitted. "When we went in the second time, to get you and Rodriguez, it seemed like the right thing to do. I was not leading the charge, but I also wasn't scared."

"From what McKinnon said, you didn't have time to be scared."

"Yeah, but my personality changed since working with the rest of the unit. It just seems natural to trade quips with them. I say things to them I would never say on seaQuest."

"I think it's called survival," Lucas pointed out. "They'd eat you alive otherwise. For them, it's a respect thing. If you're not willing to defend yourself, they're not interested."

"It seems to come naturally to you," Tim observed.

"I've had lots of practice, Tim," Lucas told him, thinking of all the times he had hidden his true emotions behind sarcasm. "However, I don't recommend you display this new personality on the bridge. I'm not sure Commander Ford is up to it."

"I'm not sure which shocked him more," Tim agreed, willing to let the conversation shift, "McKinnon asking if you and Rodriguez needed a 'time out' or Karneering threatening to shoot me in the other leg if I didn't stay off my feet," he continued, recalling Ford's recent visit.

"I think the Outriggers are a little less formal than the Commander likes to see," Lucas remarked. "And he was more startled by your behavior; you don't get into trouble, Tim. The fact that you were arguing with the doctor shocked him the most."

"Probably. Hey, you should get some sleep," Tim instructed, noticing that Lucas was yawning.

"That's all I do," Lucas grumbled.

"It's good for you," Rodriguez interrupted, joining them. "Your body needs the rest and the rest of us value our lives," he added.

"What do you mean?"

"If your Dr. Westphalen comes back and you look tired out, she's going to come looking for the first Outrigger she can string up."

"Besides, Karneering's giving me the evil eye," Tim observed, looking over at where the doctor was sitting. "You would think they almost had to amputate from his behavior."

"Well, he gets that way," Rodriguez commented. "So, why don't you both be good?" he suggested.

"You're one to talk," Lucas groused.

"I know, but I'm not the one that got shot."

"And that's my fault?"

"Just lay back and go to sleep. If you get riled up, I'll be blamed. I'm not sure which would be worse, facing the rest of the team or someone off seaQuest," Rodriguez mused.

Tim smiled as Lucas complained a bit more, but fell asleep. Then he headed for his own bed, while Rodriguez took his place at Lucas' bedside. Tim had noticed that Rodriguez always made sure he was around when Lucas was sleeping and no one from seaQuest was in attendance.

Since Lucas had admitted to having dreams, Tim suspected that was the reason. Both Ryan and Karneering had woken him up from his, so he was not surprised to find that Rodriguez had done the same for Lucas. As much as they liked to argue, Lucas and Rodriguez had formed a friendship that must seem odd to some, mainly the seaQuest crew, who had a hard time viewing the situation in the same light. Tim knew it was based on more than just their experience of being held hostage together.

 

"This is really embarrassing, you know that?" Lucas grumbled, three days later, as Rodriguez lifted him into the helicopter.

"Hey, I'm just following orders," Rodriguez pointed out, carefully settling him in the back. Since the teenager's knee was still immobilized, Karneering had instructed Rodriguez to make sure he put Lucas where his leg could remain straight. Lucas had vetoed the idea of traveling on a stretcher; he had said he would rather sit up than be lying down. "You don't like it, talk to Karneering," he added.

"Save your breath," Tim advised, having only recently won the battle over the crutches. "He doesn't listen."

"Forgive me for not trusting your medical opinion," Karneering apologized sarcastically, motioning Rodriguez out of the way so he could make sure Lucas was properly situated. "Especially since your Dr. Westphalen started making pointed comments about what would happen if either one of you suffered a setback."

"It was a simple graze; how could I suffer a setback?" Tim protested, taking a seat across from Lucas.

"Well, no one's ever been shot on the ladder before. It's made us think that there's something special about you," Ryan observed.

"I don't think that was a compliment," Tim remarked.

 

McKinnon shook her head as she listened to the conversation. "You going to be okay?" she asked Lucas, concerned that the journey might be uncomfortable for him.

"Yeah, I think so," Lucas replied.

"You'd better let us know if you aren't," Rodriguez warned him.

"I will," Lucas promised.

"Hey, McKinnon, was Dr. Clark glad when you told him we were leaving?" Dawson inquired.

"Oh, most definitely," McKinnon confirmed. "He's referring to us as a bunch of terrorists."

"Can we sue for libel?" Hallowell queried.

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid he'd have no problem getting witnesses on his behalf," McKinnon told him. "Karneering?" She motioned him to join her at the front. "Is he really up to this?" she asked quietly, referring to Lucas.

"I gave him some extra medication this morning; once we get in the air, he'll probably go to sleep," Karneering assured her. "O'Neil and Rodriguez will let me know if he gets too uncomfortable," he added.

"Good."

"Don't worry, Commander, he's doing pretty well overall," Karneering told her, heading back to check on Lucas one more time.

"All right, gang, we're going to get moving, so please take your seats and strap in," McKinnon announced.

 

Lucas had his eyes closed, but he was not asleep. As much as he hated to admit it, he was not very comfortable. They had hit some turbulence, which he found rather jarring, mainly on his shoulder. Plus, there was the prevailing memory of the events of his last helicopter ride.

"You okay?" Tim asked him softly, noting he looked rather pale.

"I've been better," Lucas told him. "This is not first class."

"Are you going to argue with me if I give you another injection?" Karneering questioned him, having gotten out of his seat to check on him; Lucas had been objecting to the pain medication almost from the day he became fully aware of his surroundings. He did not like the fact the drugs made him sleepy and less alert; he liked having his mind clear.

"Probably," Lucas said with a faint smile.

"You're almost as bad as your friend," Karneering told him, injecting the medicine before Lucas could complain. He had only asked as a courtesy and had fully intended to give him the shot.

"I've been better than him," Lucas protested. "I just don't like being hazy."

"Sometimes it's the best thing for you," Rodriguez interjected.

"Karneering, Hamilton says we're going to hit some more turbulence," McKinnon told him. "I think you might want to check on Ryan. I'm not sure she's going to handle another bout."

"I'll be right there," Karneering promised. "Why don't you two see if you can get him into a more comfortable position," he instructed Tim and Rodriguez.

"I'm fine," Lucas protested.

Tim, Rodriguez, and Karneering all gave him disbelieving looks. "You need to stop grimacing if you expect us to buy that one," Rodriguez informed him. "O'Neil, you think you could fit behind his shoulders: give him something better to lean on than the wall?" he questioned.

"Yeah, I think so," Tim replied, trying to envision what Rodriguez meant.

"Sounds like you have things under control," Karneering said. "Just get him into a position so he'll go to sleep," he ordered Rodriguez in a low voice, knowing better than to let Lucas hear him.

"Please go take care of Ryan," Rodriguez urged. "I remember what happened the last time she got airsick."

"Don't tell us!" Lucas begged.

"You're no fun," Rodriguez told him.

"What about your leg?" Lucas asked Tim, as Rodriguez helped him move to allow the lieutenant to sit down.

"I'll let you know if it's a problem," Tim told him, adjusting his position slightly. Sitting with his back in the corner, he could allow Lucas to rest his head and shoulders in his lap. Lucas fell asleep shortly thereafter and spent the rest of the flight in that state. Tim found the position somewhat uncomfortable, but he knew Lucas was better off sleeping. While he knew Rodriguez would take his place if he asked, Tim wanted to do this for his friend.

 

"Well, it's not much, but it will do," Rodriguez remarked, surveying the room. McKinnon had made arrangements for a room for Lucas, Tim, Rodriguez and Karneering to stay together. Karneering did not want to leave his patient unattended and McKinnon knew that neither Tim nor Rodriguez were going to accept being in separate rooms.

"Okay, let's get him settled," Karneering instructed, looking at Lucas, who was starting to show the signs of the strain of the trip.

"Where do you want him?" Rodriguez inquired.

"He is still in the room and conscious," Lucas grumbled.

"And getting cranky, too," Tim remarked.

"I thought you were going to work on controlling your new personality," Lucas commented.

"Back on seaQuest: until then, I'm free to explore the new me," Tim informed him.

"Great. Why me?"

"Come on; we'll get you tucked in and you can take a nap," Rodriguez told Lucas, lifting him out of the wheelchair. Lucas had not been happy with the wheelchair, but, with his bad shoulder, Karneering had vetoed crutches: not that Lucas had been surprised.

"Maybe you'll be in a better mood when you wake up."

"I am not five years old," Lucas hissed at him.

"I know, but I like to rile you," Rodriguez said.

"He's all yours, Doctor."

"Lucky me," Karneering mumbled. "Okay, let me take a look. We have about three hours before we meet for dinner; get some sleep. We'll wake you up in time to go," he ordered Lucas, who was already fading fast.

"Is he all right?" Tim asked.

"He'll be fine, O'Neil. The hardest part is going to be keeping him from overdoing it. Right now, he's slowed down because both his shoulder and knee are still healing. I do not envy your doctor for having to direct his recovery; he's going to push. The fact that he knows what to expect from the knee injury isn't going to help much, particularly if his recovery is slower this time."

"What do you mean?" Rodriguez queried.

"He's injured the knee before," Karneering answered. "Really?" Tim questioned.

"Yes. He's lucky he did the same one again; he could have ended up with two bad knees," Karneering remarked. When he had asked Lucas about the previous injury, Lucas had vague about the cause, but precise about the medical details. This part Karneering kept to himself. "Now, I suggest that we all get some sleep."

"As much as I hate to agree with you," Rodriguez sighed, "I'm ready for a nap."

"That's because you've been working too hard," Karneering informed him. "All that's going to change now that we're back where I can keep a better eye on you. And you," he pointed at Tim, "don't laugh or I'll tell your doctor that further examination of your wound demonstrated muscle damage. I can guarantee that would get you PT for at least three weeks," he threatened.

"That would be lying and she would know better," Tim protested.

"Yes, but would she care?"

"Probably not: she's not real happy with either one of us for agreeing to come back with you all," Tim admitted.

"Enough chatter," Rodriguez told them both. "Let's get some sleep."

"Fine, but I get charge of the alarm," Karneering instructed. "Last thing we need is to frighten Wolenczak with the Rodriguez ritual throwing of the alarm clock."

"Thank you," Tim interjected. "That's one thing I won't miss."

 

"Why are people staring at us?" Lucas asked later, when the team was sitting in the mess, eating. He eyed his food, selected by Karneering, with distaste. The bruising on his face was healing, but, between that and the medication, the doctor still had him on a restricted diet.

"No kidding. I feel like I'm on display at the museum," Tim added, having noticed several looks in their direction.

"Because they have nothing better to do," Ryan told them.

"Besides, we told them that you gave Rodriguez a hard time and he went over the edge," Dawson explained.

"Please tell me you're joking, or I will go over the edge," Rodriguez growled at him. "One of the reasons they're staring is your face; it's kind of hard not to notice," he pointed out to Lucas.

"Actually, we were going to take pictures: show them to the new guys when we pick them," Adamsen interjected.

"It should end dissention in the ranks," Chandler agreed.

"And you wonder why you didn't make a good impression on our friends?" Tim asked them.

"O'Neil, we don't make a good impression on anyone," Hallowell observed.

"Just ignore them," McKinnon advised Lucas and Tim.

"They get like this when we're ending an assignment."

"You mean this is different from their normal behavior?" Tim questioned. "I hadn't noticed."

"As for why people are staring, you guys have developed something of a reputation," McKinnon explained.

"What do you mean?"

"Because you both acquitted yourself well in the field," Ryan told them. "Don't look at me like that," she instructed Rodriguez, who was laughing at her. "That was a direct quote from Prescott."

"Outrigger Yellow," Adamsen supplied. "It's not often that outsiders, which you were, prior to deployment, function so well in our operations."

"People are impressed that neither one of you cracked under the pressure," Dawson interjected.

"That and the fact they both managed to get hurt, instead of injuring one of us, which is what usually happens," Hallowell elaborated.

"If that's the case, why do you take people on temporary assignment on missions?" Tim inquired.

"No choice. Sometimes you need the skills or the bodies," McKinnon told him. "And, a lot of times, the outsiders are serving as support staff. You two were taking the place of ADs, so that's where we used you."

"Active Duty," Ryan clarified, seeing their blank looks.

"I don't think we'll tell Westphalen the part about needing 'bodies'," Tim remarked to Lucas. "I think that might be more than she could take."

"Anyway, get used to the stares; Outriggers everywhere know who you are," Rodriguez told them.

"So, this would be one of the benefits of getting shot?" Lucas inquired.

"Something like that," Chandler agreed.

"I think I could have done without it."

"You always have to be picky, don't you?" Rodriguez observed. "By the way, you're supposed to eat your dinner, not make an artistic statement with it."

"Everyone's a critic," Lucas grumbled. "It looks better as art than it tastes as food."

"Maybe you should have just gone ahead and wired his jaw shut," Rodriguez commented to Karneering.

"I don't need your medical advice," Lucas told him "I'm just trying to be helpful."

"Maybe you shouldn't try so hard," Tim suggested.

 

"If you want to leave, let me know," Rodriguez whispered to Lucas as they settled into the Outrigger Blue lab. They were starting to compile the information from their recent assignment in preparation for the upcoming debriefing and the awards ceremony.

"Okay," Lucas agreed.

The first task was for everyone to write up what they had done as their part of the mission. Lucas was not looking forward to this; he had avoided really thinking about the details of what had happened until this point. Writing it down seemed like a rather daunting task, mainly because putting it into words made it real.

McKinnon had recommended he use one of the transcription booths, but he had declined, preferring to type with one hand instead. He wanted to proceed slowly and he did not want to be isolated from the rest of the group. Over the last few days, he had discovered he did not like being alone for too long. Rodriguez had placed Lucas and Tim in cubicles next to each other, with himself on the other side of Lucas. Rodriguez knew that Karneering had stationed himself so that he could watch Lucas without the teenager realizing. Rodriguez knew that he did not relish writing his own report and knew it was going to be difficult for Lucas. McKinnon had already told the group they would be stopping at twenty-one hundred, figuring that Lucas would try to keep up with the team and that it was the easiest way to forestall him from overdoing it, without being too obvious.

 

"How's it going?" Tim asked him softly. He had been listening to Lucas type long enough to realize there was a pattern. The teenager would type furiously and then it would be followed by long periods of silence.

"All right, I guess," Lucas told him.

"Take a break," Rodriguez recommended gently, looking around the partition at him.

"I'm fine," Lucas insisted.

"Fifteen minutes," Tim suggested. "It'll be good for you," he added.

"Come on; you know we're going to bug you until you agree," Rodriguez pointed out.

"You will, too," Lucas grumbled; Tim and Rodriguez had teamed up on him several other times already. McKinnon walked over and joined them, taking a close look at Lucas as she approached.

"Rodriguez, Karneering needs to talk to you and Ryan has a question about your meeting with Henry Lee," she told Tim.

"Okay," Tim said slowly, giving her a puzzled look.

"She wants to talk with Wolenczak," Rodriguez explained quietly, as they moved away from the cubicles.

McKinnon pulled the chair over so she could sit down next to Lucas. "Tomorrow, according to regulations, I have to conduct an official interview with you," she informed him.

"Why?"

"It's standard procedure when you've been held hostage," she explained. "Basically, it means that we're going to go over your report and review what happened."

"Oh."

"It's just a formality, but it is one we have to observe. Normally, Captain Sullivan would be present, but we're going to forego that part."

"Several reasons, but mainly because you don't know him. I feel you'll be more comfortable if it's just me," she admitted. McKinnon knew that Lucas did not like special treatment, but she was not going to lie about it.

"You have to do this with Rodriguez?"

"Yes. I already did an informal discussion, but I have to do the formal one."

"When?" he finally asked.

"We'll do it in the morning, while the others are finishing reports. The afternoon will be the debriefing and then we'll have the night off. Karneering wants everyone well rested for the presentation the following day."

"I don't suppose I'll get to you to agree to stop early and go rest?" McKinnon remarked.

"I want to finish this," he told her.

McKinnon studied him a moment. "You have thirty minutes. After that, done or not, you're leaving."

"Everyone else is going to work longer," he protested.

"Everyone else did not get shot," McKinnon observed.

"Besides, I'm going to make O'Neil and Rodriguez go with you. They could also use some extra rest," she commented, figuring that would get him to cooperate. It was fairly obvious that Lucas spent more time worrying about the well being of his friends than he did about his own health.

"That's low," Lucas informed her, recognizing what she
was doing.

"That's why I'm in charge," she said. "Because I'm not afraid to use whatever I have to in order to get the job done. So, you'll go quietly?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Sure. You can go quietly or you can go with a fuss, but you will stop working in thirty minutes."

"I get the picture."

 

"So much for not being tired," Tim remarked to Rodriguez, looking over at Lucas, who had fallen asleep almost before his head hit the pillow.

"He hates to admit he needs taking care of," Rodriguez agreed.

"I don't think he's used to someone being around to do it," Tim observed.

"Well, then I guess he's lucky to have you and the rest of your crew."

"You've been pretty good to him, too," Tim pointed out.

"Well, he's been through a lot. And some of that we shared."

"It's more than that."

"You're right," Rodriguez admitted. "I liked his attitude from the start. He's cocky just like the rest of us and, even though parts of this assignment had him scared, he kept going. In his place, I don't know if I would have ever made that first jump."

"You would have; I don't see you letting anything stand in your way."

"Yeah, well, you're not as shy and retiring as you would like people to think," Rodriguez retorted.

"Never said I was. Besides, I act differently around you guys."

"We have that effect on a lot of people."

"Why did you join the Outriggers?" Tim asked.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time," Rodriguez answered, looking away.

"Why communications?" "Yes. Eventually. Right now, I'm content to stay as the second-in-command with McKinnon. I learn a lot from her. I'm not ready to take on all the paperwork. Or the responsibility."

"You seem to take on quite a bit now."

"In the Outriggers, we all do," Rodriguez commented. "In reality, we all have to be ready to assume command in the field. If something happens to McKinnon and I'm around, then it's me. However, it could be something happens to her and I'm not there and neither is Ryan, so someone better step in and fill the void. Generally, we follow the chain of command, but if Adamsen is the highest ranking in her group, she's expected to take over."

"You ever have to relieve someone of command?" Tim asked.

"Fortunately, I've never had to face that one. I've seen it happen. And Karneering had to do it, before he joined us. I think it's one of the reasons he wanted to come join. He was third-in-command with Silver; it was a little too close for his liking."

"Commander Ford had to do it before Bridger took over seaQuest."

"Well, he's a man that needs to lighten up," Rodriguez remarked, remembering the two times he had seen Ford at the hospital.

"He's not as bad as he seems," Tim defended. "He was just concerned and that's how he handles it."

"That's what Wolenczak said. Actually, I have to confess any other reaction from seaQuest probably would have upset us."

"Why?"

"Because if they had been calm, it would have meant that they didn't care."

"I understand, I think."

"It makes sense, trust me."

"Well, I think I'm ready for bed. I don't know why I'm so tired," Tim sighed.

"It's been a long day for all of us. We'll leave the light on for Karneering; he's used to coming in quiet."

 

Lucas was awake, staring up at the darkness, thinking. Ever since McKinnon had told him about having to do the interview, it had consumed his thoughts. Having to talk about it seemed like more than he wanted to do. He had not discussed the specifics with anyone yet, not even Rodriguez. They had danced around the topic, even after his dreams. There was part of him that knew he had to talk about it; the other part of him wanted to hide from it. Writing the report had been hard, but he could pretend, at least to himself, that no one would read it.

Rodriguez woke up slowly, listening to the noises of the room for a minute. He heard Tim roll over, followed by Karneering; finally, he heard Lucas shifting restlessly, a sign the teenager was also awake. When he was asleep, Lucas tended to remain still, unless he was dreaming. Despite the fact all three had told Lucas to wake them up, for any reason, Rodriguez knew the boy wasn't likely to do it. Getting up quietly, he walked over to Lucas' bed, making enough noise to avoid startling him.

"What are you doing awake?" he asked, sitting down.

"Nothing. Been sleeping too much," Lucas told him.

"That's what I like about you; you're predictable," Rodriguez remarked.

"Excuse me?"

"I swear, if I had asked you what was wrong just after you were shot, you would have said 'nothing'," Rodriguez observed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It was just an observation. You're worried about the interview with McKinnon tomorrow."

"Why do you say that?" Lucas inquired, unwilling to confirm or deny Rodriguez's statement.

"Because you haven't really talked about it yet."

"You haven't been around me twenty-four hours a day."

"I know that there are only a few people you're likely to talk to about it, at least right now. I figure I'm one of them, because I was there. We've skated around the issue when you have dreams; we talk about your dreams, not what happened. O'Neil's pretty high on the list of people you might talk to and I know you haven't told him," Rodriguez told him. "I also imagine that your captain would be the other person you're most likely to talk to about it. It's obvious he cares about you and you trust him, but you haven't told him either. You haven't really had any time alone with him and he hasn't pushed, although I bet he will when you go back to seaQuest. He doesn't seem like the kind of man who's going to let you avoid it forever. You might talk to your Lieutenant Krieg, but not yet, because you don't want to upset him any more than he already is."

"You've got this all figured out, haven't you?" Lucas queried, his tone sharp because Rodriguez was pretty close to the mark.

"I'm familiar with the traits," Rodriguez admitted. "I didn't want to talk about it the first time I was held hostage."

"What did you do?" Lucas asked, willing to shift the conversation off himself.

"I acted like nothing happened. You have to remember I also transferred into Outrigger Blue afterwards, so I was dealing with new people. I didn't want to trust them."

"And?" Lucas prompted.

"My CO kind of figured that I might feel better if I got it off my chest."

"How did he get to you to talk?"

"He didn't," Rodriguez informed him, a faint smile crossing his face. "Before he could do anything, his second in command took care of the problem for him."

"How?"

"Dragged me down to the gym for a no holds barred round of hand to hand combat."

"How did that help?"

"About the time I was tiring out, she started bugging me about what had happened. I was third in command at the time of my capture; I had some guilt about not doing more to stop the CO from dragging us into the situation. She played on that, until I started yelling at her, once I started I couldn't stop."

"McKinnon?" Lucas guessed softly.

"Yep. She reads people pretty well; if she honestly thought you weren't up to talking about this, she would leave you alone. She just recognizes that sometimes we need a push in the right direction."

 

"Relax," Rodriguez told Tim the next morning.

"Sorry," Tim apologized, unable to help himself from worrying. It seemed like Lucas and McKinnon had been in the conference room for quite a while.

"Don't worry, she knows what she's doing."

 

McKinnon sat across from Lucas, finishing the interview. Things were much calmer than they had been at the beginning. After he had answered the first few questions, McKinnon had decided that Lucas was too distant from his responses; he spoke more like an observer than a participant. Past experience told McKinnon that no one was that calm about being held hostage, so she had pushed until he was honest. Lucas had not told her everything he was feeling; she would have been surprised if he had. Mainly she had pressured him to get him to think about it and start to face it. If she was any judge of people, she would say that, one day, in the near future, Bridger and Lucas were due for a long talk. McKinnon suspected the captain was one of the few people Lucas really trusted.

"Still mad at me?" she inquired.

"Do you care?" Lucas asked.

"Of course. But being nice isn't what you needed. You have O'Neil for that."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You and O'Neil are a lot alike. He wouldn't want to upset you, so he wouldn't push. Rodriguez won't push because he's still wrestling with his own problems with this mission, so that left me."

"Are you always right?"

"No. Just most of the time."

"Modesty is obviously not a job qualification."

"If you meet a modest Outrigger, I'd like you to introduce him to me," McKinnon commented. "Are you going to answer my question?"

"I stopped being mad about thirty minutes ago. Could they hear us out there?" he questioned suddenly.

"No. The room is sound proof."

"Good." Lucas did not want everyone to know that he had been yelling at McKinnon.

"You're free to go. It's Rodriguez's turn."

 

"You okay?" Tim asked Lucas, wheeling him out of the conference room while Rodriguez took his place.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Lucas answered, not willing to go into the details at the moment. McKinnon had been right; he was angry about what had happened to him. However, he was not ready to tell Tim about it right now.

"Ryan says we're all done for the moment."

"Good," Lucas sighed tiredly.

"You want to go lay down?" Tim inquired; thinking Lucas looked rather tired.

"No, not really. I'm tired of being in bed and I have a feeling I had better enjoy my limited freedom while I can."

"Yes, I did hear the doctor making comments about tying you down," Tim teased.

 

"So, did you rile him up?" Rodriguez asked McKinnon, before they got started.

"Why would you ask that?"

"Because I know you."

"All I did was conduct an interview," McKinnon protested.

"Sure, you did."

"Besides, you know that the interviews are confidential. Wolenczak wants to talk to you about it, he will."

"By the way, I have a question for you," Rodriguez changed the subject, knowing he would not get any more information out of McKinnon. He had no doubts that she had pushed some buttons to get Lucas to start looking at what had happened.

"What?"

"Why do want to hold the final review with Wolenczak and O'Neil after the ceremony. Why not do it before and get it out of the way?"

"Sullivan wants me to review Section ninety-nine with them," McKinnon sighed.

"Oh. Is it on Ramsey's authority?"

"No. He backed it with the Secretary-General."

"I'm glad you're the one that has to do it."

"Thanks, Rodriguez. I knew I could count on you."

 

"There's no way Wolenczak can stand on that leg for the entire presentation; I don't care how short it is," Karneering stated. The Outriggers had just finished the initial debriefing and were in the process of deciding how to manage the awards ceremony.

"Then we'll sit, until the end. We have to stand to accept," McKinnon told him.

"I'm not sitting down while you all are standing," Lucas objected.

"You'll do what I say you're going to do," Karneering informed him.

"I didn't say I wanted to stand for the whole thing," Lucas protested. "Just the end part."

"He can lean on me," Rodriguez offered. "We should only be standing about five minutes, especially if we wait until after McKinnon starts speaking for the rest of us to rise."

"All right. But you walk on that leg and I will extract a slow and painful revenge. I'll also give you an orange lollipop," Karneering told Lucas sternly.

"I'll be good."

"I'll carry him off the stage if necessary," Rodriguez assured Karneering.

"It will be necessary," McKinnon pointed out.

"What?" Lucas practically shouted. "I feel like I'm about five when he carries me."

"Sorry, the stage isn't accessible otherwise. The only way to get you on it is for someone to carry you."

"Besides, you look two look so cute when he carries you," Ryan teased.

"There is nothing cute about it," Lucas growled, while everyone else snickered.

"Actually, she's right," Tim observed, getting a glare from the teenager. "Just give in gracefully. You aren't going to win."

"Now, there is one slight change in plans," McKinnon announced, deciding it was time to intervene.

"What?" Rodriguez asked, surprised.

"We talked it over and we all agreed that you and Wolenczak should accept the award for the unit."

"I must have missed that conversation," Lucas remarked, nervously. "Why us?"

"You paid the highest price," Ryan replied. "You deserve the chance to get things started."

"Are you sure?" Rodriguez asked.

"We made the decision as a team," Chandler informed them. "You guys have to do it."

"I thought it was a good idea," Tim added.

"You'll do the first part; I'll handle the rest," McKinnon explained. "I just think you two have more right than any of us to want this."

"We want you to do it; you can't let us down," Adamsen interjected.

"Otherwise we might think you don't trust us," Hallowell added.

"Oh good, now they're stooping to emotional blackmail. I think we're stuck," Rodriguez whispered to Lucas, loud enough to be heard. <[? "We'll put microphones on both of you, so you don't have to move from line. That way Wolenczak doesn't have to walk," McKinnon told them. "So, is it settled?"

"Apparently," Lucas replied.

 

"Glad it's almost over?" Rodriguez asked Lucas and Tim later that evening.

"I think we're ready to go back home," Tim told him, getting a nod of agreement from Lucas. "It has been interesting, but I'm ready for things to get back to normal."

"You'll miss us," Rodriguez teased.

"Don't count on it," Lucas retorted.

"You don't mean that," Karneering commented, entering the room. "You know you love us."

"I'm not sure that's the word I would use," Tim remarked.

"Guess what time it is?" Karneering quizzed Lucas.

"He has the evil look on his face: must mean he's going to poke around and see how much pain he can inflict," Lucas observed.

"I only have your best interests at heart," Karneering said.

"You probably say that to all of your victims."

"I'm not sure I care for your choice of words."

"I think that was the general idea, Karneering," Rodriguez informed him.

"I suppose you're going to give me more drugs," Lucas sighed.

"That was on my agenda," Karneering agreed. "You need your rest and you have a tendency to overdo it."

"It seems to be a trait the entire unit shares," Lucas pointed out.

"It's not a habit you should adopt," Karneering told him.

"I think it's too late," Tim mumbled to Rodriguez, who snickered.

"I can still tell McKinnon the two of you are in need of physicals if you don't behave," Karneering reminded the two men.

 

"This is one advantage of you getting shot," Rodriguez said to Lucas, the following day, as they got dressed for the awards ceremony.

"What?" Lucas grumbled.

"We got out of wearing our dress uniforms."

"I'm so happy I could help."

"You have a dress uniform?" Tim questioned. "I just can't imagine any of you in a dress uniform."

"We try to avoid it whenever possible," Karneering agreed.

"That's a big surprise," Lucas commented sarcastically.

"What are you trying to say?" Rodriguez queried.

"None of you seem like the formal type. If you could get away with it, you'd probably avoid wearing these," Tim answered for him, pointing to the jumpsuits that they were wearing.

"So, you think you know us that well?" Rodriguez questioned him.

"We've been around you long enough to figure it out," Lucas told him. "You lack a certain amount of respect for authority."

"And you are, of course, a paragon of virtue when it comes to following the rules," Rodriguez retorted.

"I'm just curious about something," Karneering interrupted. "Can the two of you hold a conversation without one of you getting sarcastic or somewhat insulting?"

Lucas and Rodriguez looked at each other. "Not a very long one," Rodriguez replied. "And why should we? We're not hurting anyone."

"That's what you think; what about those of us who have to listen to you?" Tim wanted to know.

"That's called eavesdropping and it's rude. Plug your ears if you don't like it," Rodriguez recommended. "By the way, how did you manage to get him in the uniform?" Rodriguez asked Karneering.

"I believe that's covered under doctor-patient confidentiality," Karneering informed him.

"Speaking of uniforms," Tim interjected, "what are we supposed to do with all the gear Ryan gave us before deployment? I mean, we gave back the computers when you all did, but we still have the uniforms and other stuff," Tim pointed out.

"Well, some of my stuff got left in Tarsinia," Lucas observed with a trace of humor. "I hope you don't expect me to pay for it."

"There's an idea; maybe I'll suggest it to McKinnon," Rodriguez remarked.

"You didn't come back with all of your equipment either," Karneering reminded him.

Lucas muttered something under his breath.

"Watch it," Rodriguez warned, having heard the comment. "And I came back with more than you did," he added in a low voice that only Lucas could hear.

"We don't want to know," Karneering told Tim, who was staring at the two with a puzzled expression. "Come on; you know McKinnon hates to be late."

"As for the equipment, McKinnon will take care of it in the final review," Rodriguez informed them, earning a strange look from Karneering.

"All right."

"What's going on?" Karneering questioned Rodriguez quietly, not wanting the other two to overhear.

"Ninety-nine," Rodriguez responded.

"Oh dear. I hope she doesn't make me watch while she explains that one."

"No kidding."

"What are you guys mumbling about?" Lucas asked.

"Just reviewing the plan for getting you on and off stage," Rodriguez replied innocently.

 

"I still don't understand why we're here," Ben grumbled to Miguel, as the seaQuest crew filed into the auditorium for the award ceremony.

"For Lucas and Tim," Katie told him. "They are our friends. Since they have to attend, we should support them."

"If getting two members of the team shot earns them a commendation, I'd hate to see what happens on a mission that goes really wrong," Ben grumbled.

"That's enough," Ford ordered quietly. "After this is over, we get them back." Ford was trying to keep the peace. Since Kristin had already made her feelings abundantly clear, Ford didn't want anything to get her started again. Ford thought Bridger had enough stress right now.

"He's right," Miguel interjected. "I'll sit through three of these if that's what it takes to get them back."

 

Bridger was not really listening to what Admiral Ramsey had to say. Instead, he was watching the group on the stage. He felt a sense of amazement at seeing both Tim and Lucas dressed in the Outrigger uniform, seated with the rest of the group. Both seemed so comfortable with the unit. Bridger also felt a sense of pride because the two had performed well under pressure. It wasn't that he thought he had anything to do with their accomplishments and, given a choice, he would prefer it had never happened, but he did have a great deal of respect for the two and the choices they had made during their temporary assignment.

 

Lucas sat, listening to Ramsey drone on, and wondered how the man could say half of what he was saying with a straight face. It made him angry to listen to Ramsey, knowing that man could have endangered all of their lives. Lucas had the same problem the rest of the team had with the admiral's actions; Ramsey was not new to the organization. He knew the importance of maintaining secrecy.

"Just relax," Rodriguez mumbled under his breath. Normally, the Outriggers would have lined up by rank, but, because of Lucas' injuries, they had put him and Tim between Rodriguez and Ryan.

"I present to you Commander Hunter McKinnon of Outrigger Blue," Ramsey introduced, turning to gesture McKinnon forward.

Outrigger Blue stood in unison, Rodriguez unobtrusively assisting Lucas. Once they were on their feet, McKinnon stepped forward, not bothering to shake Ramsey's hand, a slight that no one really noticed, not even Ramsey.

"Those of us who are standing here tonight, feel that this moment belongs to two members in particular," McKinnon announced quietly, ignoring the slight cough from Ramsey, because she was deviating from the plan. "We have asked them to speak on our behalf. I'd like to introduce Lieutenant-Commander EJ Rodriguez and Lucas Wolenczak." McKinnon turned her attention to Lucas and Rodriguez.

"As members of an Outrigger unit, all of us jeopardize our lives on every mission," Rodriguez stated calmly. "It is a risk we accept because we believe that what we do serves a purpose and we trust that those within the organization will do everything they can to ensure our safety. When we put on our uniforms, we all become responsible for upholding Article One of the Outrigger Code of Conduct."

"Article One states, that under no circumstances, shall any member of an Outrigger unit reveal information that might jeopardize the other members of the organization or the integrity of their mission," Lucas continued, trying hard to keep his voice steady. "And that, to do so knowingly, is to break the Outrigger Code."

"When someone willingly violates Article One without justification, they break the commitment not only to their own team, but to the entire organization," Rodriguez said. "Trust is a vital part of our organization and without it a team cannot succeed, because it places doubts in the minds of the other members. There is no room for hesitation in the field."

By now they, had the attention of the crowd, as people began to realize that this was not part of the plan. Bridger could hear his crew murmuring amongst themselves. None of the other Outriggers in the audience, for they made up the bulk of the crowd, seemed to know what was going on either.

"Thus, we feel that we cannot accept this award," Lucas announced, creating a stunned silence in the room.

"Under Section ten, paragraph one, of the Outrigger Code of Conduct, Outrigger Blue is repudiating Admiral Walter Ramsey for his violation of Article One by transmitting our mission profile outside the organization, and for ordering Captain Sullivan to issue a sanction when we encountered difficulties in the field," McKinnon proclaimed calmly. "We believe that the only justification for this sanction was because he was attempting to cover up his< transgressions. As a unit, we believe that we can no longer trust Ramsey to protect and support us in the field. We feel that, as long as he remains part of the chain of command, he endangers each and every mission. Therefore, Outrigger Blue is standing down until he is replaced as the head of the Outrigger organization," McKinnon stated.

"You can't do this," Ramsey told her angrily. "Watch me," McKinnon said so quietly that only he could hear her. Her gaze was icy and even. The seaQuest crew watched in amazement as, in unison, the Outrigger team tore the blue triangles off of their uniforms and dropped them on the floor. What startled them even more was the sound of applause that suddenly filled the room as the rest of the Outriggers jumped to their feet.

"Commander Aaron Tisdall, Outrigger Gold is also standing down."

"Commander Lily Madison, Outrigger White is standing down."

"Commander Daniel Harriman, Outrigger Silver is standing down."

One by one the rest of the Outriggers threw their support behind Outrigger Blue.

"It looks like we did it," Rodriguez whispered to Lucas.

"I guess so."

 

"How does it feel to take down an admiral?" Ben teased Lucas and Tim.

"He did it to himself," Tim replied.

"I don't understand; why do it like that?" Katie asked them.

"Once we discovered what he done on our mission, it didn't take a lot of hunting to discover that he had done the same thing before," Lucas explained. "No one had ever caught him. We wanted to make sure that it didn't get buried. None of the Outrigger teams can go into the field and worry about what he might have told someone. They have to be suspicious of everything else; they need to trust their chain of command."

"Why did you have to be involved?" Kristin questioned.

"Because, while there was no proof that it led to anything that happened, McKinnon felt we both had a right to be there," Lucas replied.

Bridger listened to Lucas and noted that the teenager still spoke of what had happened in vague terms. It was something they would have to handle when they got back to seaQuest.

"Besides, we wanted to be part of it," Tim admitted. "Especially since she vetoed just shooting him." The rest of the group looked at him in horror.

"Yeah, well, McKinnon figured that might have gotten Rodriguez and Ryan arrested," Lucas pointed out. "She didn't want to lose them."

"You're not serious," Miguel said, looking at them, "are you?"

"The suggestion was made in the heat of the moment," Tim told him. "And Chandler pointed out it would be a waste of ammunition."

"I think it's high time you ended this assignment. I can't say it has done anything for your sense of humor," Kristin informed him.

"Who said he was joking?" Lucas inquired.

"You definitely have spent too much time with them," Kristin told Lucas.

"Once you get to know them, they're not that bad," Lucas protested.

*

"Captain Bridger," McKinnon acknowledged him as he joined her.

"Commander," he greeted her.

"Something on your mind?"

"Has Lucas talked to anyone about what happened?" he inquired.

"Not really. I know he's had some dreams, but those are indirectly related. O'Neil has had some too," McKinnon answered. "However, he did have to write up a report for the debriefing and I had to conduct an official interview."

"How did that go?" he asked, curious.

"That depends on which one of us you ask."

"Really?"

"He wanted to distance himself; I wouldn't let him."

"What did you do?" he questioned; she had his full attention now. He knew what talking to Lucas could be like.

"I goaded him into a yelling match. Actually, he did most of the shouting. While he did not open up, and I can't say that I expected him too, I think it got him to thinking. I have a feeling that he's waiting to talk to you about it."

"Well, don't worry, Commander; I won't let him wait too long," Bridger assured her, hearing the underlying concern. "He's going to be my responsibility again very shortly."

"Well, as much as you don't want to hear this: once an Outrigger, always an Outrigger," she told him. "We'll still worry about him."

"Will this really get rid of Ramsey?" Bridger queried, changing the subject. The idea that a team had the power to remove an admiral was somewhat astounding to him.

"Yes. Once the trust is gone, you can't get it back. Not in our line of work. Plus, we have no way of knowing how many other missions he compromised. We've found some, but not all. He's not just going to stop. They'll retire him. That's why your crew members were the only outsiders in attendance. HQ had a pretty good idea what we had planned."

"Did the other units?"

"No. They followed suit because they know we wouldn't do this on a whim. No one decides to remove an admiral for the heck of it."

"This ever happened before?"

"With someone as high as Ramsey? Once, before my time. There have been other commanders and captains that have found themselves repudiated."

"What about the commendation?"

"We turned it down," McKinnon replied. "They may decide to give us another one, but it will be done quietly. If you'll excuse me, I need to finish up debriefing them," she said, pointing to Lucas and Tim. "Then they'll be ready to go back with you."

"I would appreciate it, Commander."

*

Rodriguez caught McKinnon's look and walked over to where Lucas and Tim were still talking to the seaQuest crew.

"Excuse me," he interrupted. "Commander McKinnon needs to review a few final details with Wolenczak and O'Neil so that she can officially release them."

"Then don't let us stop you," Kristin told him.

"Thank you," Rodriguez responded, unable to think of a more appropriate response. "It shouldn't take too long."

*

"What about our gear?" Tim asked McKinnon, once they had joined her in the conference room.

"Just a second. You have to stay, Rodriguez," she instructed him before he could leave.

"Why?" Rodriguez inquired.

"Verification."

"Verification of what?" Lucas demanded, not sure he liked the sound of this.

"There's a couple of items we have to go over," McKinnon told him. "I'm supposed to have Rodriguez witness that you were informed of the provisions I'm about to explain."

"Provisions?" Tim questioned. "I do not like the sound of this."

"It gets better," Rodriguez mumbled, sitting down next to Lucas' wheelchair.

"Under Section ninety-nine, paragraph two of the Outrigger Code of Conduct-." McKinnon started. "What are you doing?" she asked, as both Lucas and Tim covered their ears.

"Whenever you start quoting the manual, we know it's something we're not going to like."

"It counts whether you hear it or not," she informed him.

"Great," Lucas sighed, as they uncovered their ears and waited for her to continue.

"Section ninety-nine, paragraph two," McKinnon reiterated: a sure sign they weren't going to like what she had to say. McKinnon rarely repeated anything she said. "Once a non-organization member has been successfully deployed into the field with an Outrigger unit, the individual or individuals are considered reserve members of the organization and subject to recall. While the original unit of deployment has priority, reserve members are eligible for assignment with any Outrigger team."

"What?" Tim asked.

"You consider getting shot successful deployment?" Lucas queried.

"In other words, you two can be asked to serve the organization again, should we ever need your skills," Rodriguez elaborated. "Our unit has first dibs on you, but any of the other units can also use you."

"You're serious," Tim stated.

"Would I joke about something like this?" McKinnon queried. "So, you get to keep the uniforms and the rest of the equipment. Wolenczak, Ryan will issue you another gun."

"Have you told Captain Bridger?" Lucas asked slowly, skipping over the issue of the weapon.

"Do I look stupid?"

"You have a point."

"Captain Sullivan said he would take care of it, but I'm fairly confident that he will wait to do so until he absolutely has to. We've never actually used the rule before."

"Would this be like you've never deployed with outsiders before?" Tim inquired. "Or that you never fire your weapons?"

"Forgive us if we're not comforted. Every time you tell us something shouldn't happen, it does," Lucas hissed.

"I think you should have used another argument," Rodriguez suggested.

"Sullivan and the Secretary-General both insisted on this," McKinnon told them.

"Lucky us," Tim sighed. He looked at Lucas. "I don't think we should share this bit right away."

"No kidding," Lucas agreed.

"That's about all I have to tell you," McKinnon remarked.

"I think it was enough," Lucas assured her.

"I do want to add that it was an honor to have both of you on the team and that you did exceed our expectations. I am writing a letter of commendation, as is Captain Sullivan, to go in your records. It won't help you too much," she said, nodding at Lucas, "but it can't hurt."

"Thank you. It has been an interesting experience," Tim informed her, smiling.

"Yes, well, we're Outriggers; what did you expect?" Rodriguez questioned.

"We'll know better next time, won't we?" Lucas interjected.

"You guys ever find yourselves in a bind, call us," McKinnon ordered. "Now, I think we'll let you get your equipment and get out of here. Your Outrigger IDs will be deactivated as long as you are not active, but you do get to keep them."

"That's not the thing I'm worried about explaining," Lucas observed dryly.

"You worry too much," Rodriguez commented. "It must create a lot of stress in your life."

*

"Where are they?" Kristin asked, as the seaQuest crew waited for Lucas and Tim to join them. She was anxious to get them back on seaQuest.

"They'll be here soon," Bridger assured her. McKinnon had explained that the team wanted to say goodbye.

*

"Okay, we wanted to make sure you remembered us, so we got you this," Ryan said handing Lucas a stuffed bear, wearing an Outrigger cap.

"Thanks," he accepted the bear, blushing a little.

"And, this is for you," Hallowell told Tim, handing him a small race car, painted blue. "It was the best we could do on short notice."

"I hope no one asks why," Tim grumbled a little, but he did smile.

"And I packed your bags, so that you don't have to explain anything just yet," Rodriguez informed them, producing the original bags they had brought with them. "Unless your security chief does a weapons scan."

"Why do we have to take it with us?" Tim asked.

"Because if you're called, you may meet the team on site," Ryan explained patiently.

"No offense, but I hope it doesn't happen. I think once is enough," Lucas told the team.

"Just one more thing to do," McKinnon advised them.

"What?" Tim asked suspiciously.

"O'Neil, you weren't the best patient I've had, but you certainly weren't the worst, so here you are," Karneering said, handing Tim a handful a purple suckers.

"If I'd given you that kind of trouble, you would have given me orange," Rodriguez protested.

"Wolenczak, in spite of your moments of irritability, which were understandable under the circumstances, you did pretty good. So, I'll let you have green." Karneering handed Lucas several of the candies.

"Thanks," Lucas commented.

"Now, I think we're ready to let you guys go," McKinnon announced. "Let's walk them out."

*

"Call me if you need to talk," Rodriguez ordered Lucas softly, as he wheeled him down to where the seaQuest crew waited. "Don't worry about the time."

"I will," Lucas promised.

"Hey, you're part of the team now," Ryan informed them. "We'll make sure to keep you updated on the gossip."

"We'll look forward to it," Tim responded for both of them.

*

"Captain Bridger," McKinnon greeted the captain. "They're all yours again. It was a pleasure to work with them, despite everything that happened."

"I'm glad to have them back," Bridger informed her. "And I have a feeling they'll keep in touch."

"I'm sure of it, Sir," McKinnon told him, hiding a smile. McKinnon had decided not to tell Lucas and Tim that they would have to undergo the annual refresher training with the unit. It was a piece of information that would wait until a later time. "Mr. Wolenczak, Lieutenant O'Neil, you are officially dismissed from your assignment with the Outriggers."

"Thank you, Commander," Lucas acknowledged.

"You two ready?" Bridger asked.

"Yes, Sir," Tim replied.

"Nice bear," Miguel whispered to Lucas, as he took it out of his hands.

"It was a gift," he defended, letting Krieg take the bag that also rested in his lap. Lucas noticed that Tim had managed to stash his car out of sight.

McKinnon shook their hands, as did Rodriguez, then they stepped back, smiling as Bridger leaned over and lifted Lucas out of the wheelchair.

"I don't need to be carried," Lucas protested.

"You can't walk and we have to leave the wheelchair here," Bridger notified him. "Besides, I want to."

"That was predictable," Rodriguez mumbled to McKinnon. "Nothing he hates more than feeling helpless."

"Another thing he has in common with you," McKinnon remarked, as they turned to join the rest of the unit.

McKinnon waited until the seaQuest crew was almost out the door. "Wolenczak! O'Neil!" she yelled, causing everyone to turn. Outrigger Blue had lined themselves up and, together, they all saluted Lucas and Tim; it was, for the Outriggers, the ultimate sign of respect.

Without hesitating, Lucas and Tim returned the gesture. Both were glad to be returning to seaQuest, but they were sorry to say goodbye to the Outriggers. Overall, it had been a good experience.

 

Epilogue

A week later, Lucas sat outside the captain's quarters; he had asked Tim to bring him down here. He had spent most of the week under Kristin's watchful eye. Actually, he had spent it under everyone's close observation. He appreciated their concern, but sometimes he found it overwhelming. The doctor insisted that he stay in medbay, arguing that he would work on the computer instead of resting if allowed to stay in his own quarters. He had lost that argument when Bridger and half the crew backed her judgment.

"You want me to stay?" Tim asked, although he knew the answer. He knew why Lucas had wanted to come down here.

"Just make sure he's in," Lucas requested. Since Tim had already checked with Miguel as to the captain's whereabouts, they already knew he was in his quarters, but he knew Lucas was feeling a little nervous. "I don't want to get stranded." Lucas was still supposed to be taking it easy, although Tim knew the teenager was already pushing his recovery.

"Okay," Tim agreed, knocking on the door.

Bridger opened the door. "Hello," he greeted them both. "Can I help you?"

"Uh, Tim's just the driver," Lucas mumbled. "I wanted to come talk to you," he said in a rush. He still wasn't sure about this, but Rodriguez kept insisting it was a good idea. Rodriguez and Ryan had already called three times to talk to Lucas and Tim, wanting to make sure both were all right.

Bridger nodded, understanding what Lucas meant. He suspected Lucas had already talked to Tim; their friendship had grown stronger as a result of their assignment with the Outriggers. He knew that Tim made sure he was always with Lucas when the teenager went to sleep.

"Come on in," he invited.

"Call when you're ready," Tim told his friend, glad that Lucas was doing this. Bridger was right; Lucas had talked to him, but Tim thought the boy really needed to tell Bridger.

"I'll get him where he needs to go," Bridger assured the lieutenant.

"Yes, Sir."

"You sure about this?" Bridger asked Lucas, once he had him inside

"Not really, but I have to face it some time," Lucas replied honestly.

*

Two hours later, Bridger held the teenager in his arms, while Lucas cried. As he stroked the blond hair, Bridger wished he could have done more to protect the boy, though he understood that there was nothing he could have done. However, having listened to him tell the story, Bridger wanted nothing more than to make it go away. Unfortunately, all he could do was try to comfort him and help him get through this. Bridger recognized that this was only the first step, but at least Lucas had made it.

He smiled as he realized that Lucas had fallen asleep. The captain also had a new respect for the Outriggers, as he realized that they had kept in touch with both Lucas and Tim to make sure that they were doing all right. It was obvious, from the way Lucas spoke, that Rodriguez had been instrumental in getting him to this point.

*

Six hours later, Lucas sat in front of the vid-screen waiting for Rodriguez to appear and hoping the man had been sincere about being able to call any time.

"Sorry it's late," he apologized, realizing that Rodriguez must have been asleep.

"That's okay," Rodriguez told him, running his fingers through his hair. He studied Lucas for a moment. "You talked to your captain, didn't you?"

"You adding psychic to your list of talents?"

"No. You just look less haunted," Rodriguez observed. "Feel better?"

"A little," Lucas admitted.

"Good. McKinnon wants to know if you told your captain about Section ninety-nine yet."

"We're still waiting for the right time. Why?" Lucas asked suspiciously.

"Just curious. Don't be so paranoid," Rodriguez told him. "And Ryan wants to know if you've named the bear yet."

"She's obsessed with that, isn't she?"

"Who do you think started the nicknames?" Rodriguez questioned.

"Tell her I named him Blue," Lucas instructed. "Will that make her happy?"

"Of course. Do you sleep with him?" Rodriguez inquired, a smile playing at his lips.

"Who wants to know that?"

"Me: I'm trying to imagine it. I bet you look cute," Rodriguez teased, knowing it would provoke a reaction.

"It's none of your business."

"I'll ask O'Neil; he'll tell."

"He will not. Besides, he wouldn't know," Lucas lied.

"He would too, I've talked to him," Rodriguez reminded him. "I know that he stays with you until you're asleep. How are the dreams?"

"I still have them. What about you?"

"Me, too. They'll go away."

"I'll let you go. I just wanted to, uh-."

"I know, Slick," Rodriguez said softly. "Any time you want to call, it's okay. Take care."

"Thanks, you too."

*

An hour later, when Bridger checked on him, Lucas was sound asleep, the stuffed bear from the Outriggers held firmly in one arm, his other hand holding Tim's, who was also sleeping.

 

The End

E-Mail addy:outriggerblue@yahoo.com

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author AT Jackson.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.